Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• rsorganizersorganize Member Posts: 131
    My congratulations, too. Had my VDC for 3+ months (nearly 10,000 miles) and the pleasure of driving and appreciation of the vehicle has not faded at all. Except for the seat, a better choice than my now-departed '99 Volvo XC.

Enjoy!

Peace.
  • solidsender1solidsender1 Member Posts: 4
    I'm still loving my OBXTL 5M but am beginning to wonder if they really made a bit of an error in engineering the entire pedal area.

I'm 6'4" and have laughed about people complaining of lack of leg or headroom as I have plenty [not saying I wouldn't appreciate another inch of legroom, but it's no different than any of the three Audis I've owned]. Where I do have an issue is with my feet feeling a tad crowded ... depending on what kind of shoes I'm wearing [size 12], the toe will sometimes brush the top of the pedal cowl and, when braking, I've occassionally felt the edge of my shoe clip the edge of the gas pedal at the same time. Even the clutch foot feels a tad crowded from the left [especially if the floor mat has shifted even a tad out of its well].

I'm only 850 miles in and I'm finding my comfort zone by habit, but I do have to say I've never felt as though pedal placement - or my feet - were quite as crowded in any other auto I've owned ... anyone else feel it's just a bit tight down there?

Maybe I oughta just take a knuckle off each toe and get some smaller shoes, but that seems just a tad extreme ....
  • doug1doug1 Member Posts: 37
    I'm having the same problem with my OB XTL 5M, both with the pedals and the dash cowling. The magnitude of the problem definitely varies with the shoes I'm wearing. When wearing Chaco sandals the other day, I had a difficult problem braking without hitting the gas. With other shoes, it is still a not infrequent problem though. I generally wear size 10.5 shoes. I've never wanted an automatic (and probably wouldn't want one with the turbo engine), but this car has given me some second thoughts due to the pedal issue. It's very annoying, and certainly a poor design. It seems that there is room to spread the pedals out more. I never had this issue with my '96 Legacy. I'm hoping I somehow get used to this and learn to compensate or shift my feet around somehow.

For the most part, I'm otherwise quite happy with the car.

Doug
  • moutbackmoutback Member Posts: 39
    Yup, I've noticed the same issue--unless I'm wearing shoes with a slimmer toebox, my right foot grazes the pedal cowl when braking. I have the 5EAT, so I don't have the clutch problem. I've never had this issue with any other car I've driven before. I don't know if the stock pedals can be lowered or otherwise adjusted to deal with this. Enjoy.
  • needanewcar2needanewcar2 Member Posts: 23
    Hi Everyone

My husband and I had so much fun last night (not what you're thinking!). We test drove an OB Turbo and an H6 (VDC not available). As we drove, we paid attention to everything you nice people have pointed out. We loved both models but are leaning towards the VDC model (that's today, tomorrow who knows?) - it has power, safety and lots of goodies. We paid close attention to seat comfort- we found them comfortable, although they were short rides. We will repeat it all over again another day this week.
    Thanks again for the education!

Rosanne
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats katway. A close friend of mine traded in his Volvo 850 for a Legacy GT, coincidentally. He also complained about multiple $1000 repair bills on his Volvo, even for little things.

-juice
  • luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    Craig: Thanks for clarifying this. I called another dealer and for some reason, they have only one part number for both turbo and non-turbo models. He could not identify the part numbers you provided. Perhaps the numbers in US are diff than Canada? He did say that if there was a prob with installing on the turbo, there would be a notation on the computer, so I may go ahead and install one after all.

Solidsender1: agree with you about legroom. I'm 6'4 1/2" and have no problem with legroom on my OB XT. I have to the keep the seat a bit lower so head doesn't touch, but not a big deal. Re: the pedal cluster prob....I wear size 11 and have not noted this prob so far while driving with runners or my dress shoes.

Cheers.
  • chuqdchuqd Member Posts: 1
    > most of his review centered on the advantages of crossovers and wagons over SUVs. In my view, he needs to focus more on the specifics on the cars he reviews, rather than using his column as a discourse on generalities.

I think he writes an interesting column, especially given the limited amount of space he gets to work with. I like the way he ties outside threads (like the legislation that killed the station wagon market) into his impression of a car, and if I want to find out more about the nuts and bolts I go online or pick up a magazine.

Of course, having just purchased a GT wagon I was psyched to read this weekend's review...
    We get the Post locally, his articles are mediocre at best, IMO.

-juice
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I believe the turbo hood deflector is flat, while the non-turbo model curves up at the trailing edge (which is what would cause a problem for the turbo cars, it probably deflects air away from the IC scoop). If you install one, make sure it is the flat model. Alternately, maybe you can order the proper one from a US dealer??

6'1" here with size 11.5 shoes, and I have not noticed any problems with the pedals (I have an auto trans).

Craig
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Congratulations to all the new owners! It was interesting to read about people coming from the Volvo camp with the new 05 models. Better handling than the V70R is high praise!

The turbo spool up on the XT/GT is not abrupt. There is a pronounced increase in torque around 3K rpm when the turbo has kicked in, but nothing that would endager the driver.

Ken
    OK, all this talk of turbo spooling is simply cruel to those of us who are still breaking in our vehicles and can't break the 4000 rpm mark ;)

I can't wait to let this machine show me her stuff! Cr@p! 1200 km to go...oh the agony!

Cheers.
    Jay.
  • doug1doug1 Member Posts: 37
    Actually, part of the lack of footroom I experience may be due to my use of the all-weather mats, which are thicker than the standard cloth mats.

Doug
    I also noticed that the all weather mats make it harder to move your foot around -- it gets stuck -- which may enhance the sense of clumsiness inthe footwell. And yes, they do eat up another 3/4" or so of vertical space.

Craig
  • sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    That jives with what my dealer told me today. I aksed about the deflector when I picked up my Outback XTL to day. He said the deflector for turbos is clear and flat, and goes further up the hood then the regular one.

Sylvain
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Boy, peak torque is about 6K. Let me tell you, at 4K this engine is just waiting to pounce as you hear the turbo start to scream. 6K comes up real fast (as does your speed!) It's quite a rush!

Sorry for the extra torture. I couldn't resist. ;-)

I found myself volunteering to go to the market, the airport, get dinner from the farthest restaurant I could think of just to hit 1K.

And I still failed to stay below 4K the entire time. I did stay below 6K though. ;-)

It's worth the wait, Jay!

tom
    I put 150 kms on my brand new Outback XTL today and did not notice any problems with the pedals (size 10).

However, they are most defenitely positioned closely together as on a sports car. They are perfectly positioned for heel-and-toe manoeuvers.

I did notice the the cowl above the pedals is rather close. Doesn't bother me because I tend to drive with the tip of my feet, but if you are used to driving more with the middle of your foot, I can see how it could be a problem.
    I tried it tonight- following directions given here and on other boards- and it works!!!!!!!
    The car chimes when first started, then the seatbelt light goes out on the dash even though the seatbelt hasn't been belted.

I even drove around the block without my seatbelt on to make sure.

I'm not sure about the passenger though, I haven't tried it yet, but it's supposed to take care of that too.

Now, how do you turn it back on? ;-)

I am very responsible with seatbelts and am a firm believer that they save lives- it feels wierd to drive without one on, but I don't think I need to be reminded every minute. Maybe just a light would be ok, but I hate alarms and extraneous noises!

Now if I could just get rid of this buzzing from my passenger door. . .

tom
  • jchujchu Member Posts: 18
    Peace,
    I have the same problem with the seat in my OBXTLtd. Where did you get the Tempurpedic bottom cushion? How much it?

Thanks.

John
  • jchujchu Member Posts: 18
    The trick works on passenger side too. My wife always gets rid off seatbelt when we almost on our driveway when we back, but the chimes just won't let you do it, it's kind of annoing. Now it's gone except when your car first started. Thanks to Craig's directions. How didn't you find that out, Craig? It's quite smart :)
    Ok, this morning I had a diff pair of dress shoes on and and when I pivoted my foot off the accelerator to the brake, the toe of my shoe rubbed the cowling above. Probably would not have noticed it had I not read it here, but it was definite contact.
    tom: that was cruel! ;-)

The folks with shoe clearance problems should try a Miata, I often have to drive barefoot!

Seriously, boots on my size 10 feet simply will not fit, no way no how.

I actually tend to pick sandals or mocassins precisely because they are small. Driving mocs are sweet anyway.

-juice
    Tom....Please tell me you do not work for AAA or any such organization, 'cause your not helping here! ; )

Ok, so perhaps taking it above 4K a couple of times during break-in won't be so bad?

"I must resist the temptation. I must resist the temptation. I must consider the temptation. I must not consider it temptation. It is not temptation. I must try it......"

Oh boy, I am in trouble!

Cheers,
    Jay
  • solidsender1solidsender1 Member Posts: 4
    Okay, okay, I've decided I'm gonna give this ridiculous sounding process a try ... maybe y'all aren't really just trying to get a laugh at teh newbies expense!

To save me searching the back pages for the instructions, can anyone re-post them here ... thanks in advance.

FWIW, when I got my short shifter installed last week, the service manager and dealer manager both told me the chime could not be turned off.
  • fastsubyfastsuby Member Posts: 6
    here are your instructions, this works, even though it does sound hokey.

1) Turn key to on position-don't start.
    2) After first set of chimes click seat belt in and out 20 times within 30 seconds.
    3) Turn off key.
    4) Repeat 1, 2, 3 again
    5) Turn key off and re-start

To clarify:

turn on car = on but not started
    beeping starts = first set of beeps when you turn on the car

Follow the instructions above, start clicking the seatbelt in as soon as the FIRST chimes start, not the seatbelt chimes. This will interrupt the chiming process to the point they stop.

Turn off key and REMOVE KEY FROM IGNITION.

Repeat process, remove key from ignition again.

Start car and see if it worked. My little light is gone off the dash too.
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    i wear size 12 and had major problems with pedal problems in an auto millenia. when pressing down on the brake and foot on the side of the brake pedal the gas pedal would also become depressed making for some audi 5000 nightmares.....

i agree juice, lightweight driving footware is great allowing great feel of the pedals. i wonder what paisan wears when racing? hmmm, will bmw be the first to have cooled/heated pedals? lol.
    Holy cow, almost seems like that procedure WEARS OUT the beeper and light! LOL

-juice
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    Anybody looked into this yet? Or outfitted one of the "portable" units? This is one of our sticking points.
    I'm considering one of the Garmins for my wife.

Nice thing about a portable is you can use it in any car. We have 3 cars in our fleet, so factory built-in Nav would cost us $6000 extra.

A Garmin is 1/10th that price.

-juice
    The trick works on passenger side too. My wife always gets rid off seatbelt when we almost on our driveway when we back, but the chimes just won't let you do it, it's kind of annoing. Now it's gone except when your car first started. Thanks to Craig's directions. How didn't you find that out, Craig? It's quite smart :)

I just repeated what I saw on another forum (would've been easier if we could link directly but oh well). So I take no credit whatsoever, especially since you guys are disabling a potential lawsuit-related device!

I have not even attempted this on my car yet....

CRaig
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    I thought it was just me. Before I bought my car I noticed my foot getting stuck under the dash (size 11.5 shoe). I even emailed Subaru and they said it wasn't a common complaint (sounds like they know about it).

I test drove it and didn't notice it much when actually driving (does happen though)... so I bought a 2.5i Ltd. My problem now is not so much my foot brushing against the plastic shield under the dash, but I am struggling to get used to the driving position.. I cannot believe the wheel does not telescope. I get to work stiff from not being relaxed because I have to extend my arms 1 to 2 inches further than other cars I drive and the head rest will not bend forward behind my head. And yes I have tried adjusting the seat every which way...I am almost 6' tall.

Of course Suburu is not going to say "sure...bring it in and we will put a slightly longer steering column in" so does anyone know if it's possible to modify the steering column length? Who would do it?
    I would highly recommend a portable Garmin unit. Some of them are excellent (better than the OEM ones), they are much cheaper, and you can take them with you when you rent a car or go hiking. You can also take it with you when you buy a new car.

I personally think that in-car navs are highly overpriced and overrated. Plus I tend to be in a rental car when I am in an area where I actually need it.
    Which ones have you tried?

How easy is it to add new destinations, and pre-program ones like home, work, dad's house, etc.

-juice
  • poissonpoisson Member Posts: 49
    I have a Garmin IQue 3600 (bought in Fall 2003) which I absolutely LOVE. It is ~$450, but when you get the auto kit, extra memory and external antenna (at least 256MB), it comes out to around $600 or so. Even so, you get a full featured PDA with the latest Palm OS, a fantastic display. The navigation software is built in and you load maps via a plu-in to the Palm desktop. Pretty easy once you have done it a few times. Nav software is great and it is easy to program routes, etc... (voice guidance too).

I have a 2005 Outback XT and have not yet tried it in the car (used it all the time in my old SAAB and wife's Odyssey). The dash is fairly flat so it should sit nicely.

I use the IQue whenever I am driving somewhere I am not too familiar with - even if it is not being used for navigation, it is great to see where you are on a map.

The added bonus of using it in multiple cars makes it almost a no-brainer.

Fell free to email me if you ahve questions....
    I'm going to try the seatbelt chime thing again. I think maybe what I've been doing wrong is not waiting for the first set of chimes to finish after starting the procedure.

While I would never drive without my seatbelt on (nor have I ever forgotten), the chime is annoying when I have my vehicle idling in Park and I've got a screaming toddler to put in her carseat!

Ken
    Actually the process calls for beginning the cycle prior to the "welcome" beeper expiring. You will know you are in the groove so to speak when the chimes are interrupted. Also, be deliberate with the seatbelt clicking. Each time I visually kept my eye on the seatbelt light as I clicked in. This ensures that the seatbelt/computer recognizes the action.

Click in and out 20 times in under 30 seconds.
    Key off and out
    turn key start again 20 times.
    Key off and out.

Start car...no chimes!!! :-)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    fastsuby, could you please send me an email? My address is in my profile.
    E-mailed you poisson.

-juice
    Okay, that's exactly what I've been doing in the past -- starting the process as soon as the initial chimes start (and before they end). I've got one hand on the seatbelt assembly and the other on the key just to get a jump start.

I also do deliberate clicks and have noted the seatbelt light go out with each one. The gretting chimes also get cut off whenever I insert the belt and I've noticed they stop after the first few buckle/unbuckles.

I haven't got a clue what I'm doing differently.

I'll get these chimes to stop yet!

Ken
    emailed you KarenS
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    I have the Garmin StreetPilot 2610 for about 6 months now. I've picked up the latest Map software (which is now standard) so I now have maps for all of US, Canada, and Puerto Rico. You store the data on CF cards - I just picked up a 1 GB card for $81; the unit goes for around $700.
       It's nice- it is great for traveling as it goes from car to car. It sits on top of the dash w/o blocking your view. The 1 GB card now holds from Florida to Maine, out to Indianna, some of the Pacific coastline, and a good portion of Canada. There is still a little more room, so I can always add.
       Juice, I have set up my families different homes each as a way point(destination), along with SIA (for that eventual factory tour) and locations throughout the US & Canada. It was great when we went to Nova Scotia last month- I inputted the hotels we were staying at along with some landmarks on Prince Edward Island. If not for the GPS, I would not have been able to find!
        It also helps locally. I've learned a couple of new shortcuts I never would have thought of with it:-). Overall I would definitely recommend a portable unit over the built in. They are cheaper, and you can take it with you.

Mark
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    lumbar Sep 29, 2004 11:30am

Been using the SPIII for 4 years now and haven't really gotten lost... yet.

Issues that I've encountered:
    -No/Loss signal during solar flare.
    -Not too sure where it is when there is massive powerline overhead.
    -No/Loss signal in the city.

The Garmin SP III Deluxe package should still be available for as little as $700, which is half the price I'd paid 4 years ago.

-Dave
    Jay, I really apologize. I know how tempting it was to break that 4K barrier. It was Juice that made me feel so guilty. ;-)

If it makes you feel better I'll stay below 4K today as my penance. Ooh, too late, I already blasted it to 6K on my commute in. ;-)

You're almost there! Don't give up now. Actually, Ken referred to a site that suggests gradually breaking in the engine, not limited by mileage. They suggested hitting 5k 10 times over like 1000 miles, then 6k 10 times over the next 1000 miles, and so on. Ken correct me if I'm wrong.

It makes sense to me to break in an engine like this.

tom
    Ken- I did it on my first try (not to rub it in) but it must be beginners luck. I waited until the first chime after turning the key, deliberately inserted and removed the buckle each time exactly 20 times, and promptly turned the ignition off. I repeated the whole process, turned the ignition off and let all the dash lights fade out. Then started my car.

What's interesting is that with the first set of 20 times the seatbelt light on the dash went out and never turned back on. With the second set the light would turn on every time I unbuckled and turn off every time I buckled it back in.
    I thought I screwed up for sure but then the chimes stopped. Go figure.

Good luck. I don't know that I could do it again!

tom
    I also have this unit. It is very reliable and the maps have been very good in the US, there are parts of Canada (NW) that are off the map, but the main roads are all there.

Besides being able to take it from car to car, what I really like is that it sits right on top of your dash so you don't have to look down to see where you're going. Driving around other cars with built in Navs you always have to look down, which I think is dangerous.

It's also much much less expensive (especially if you don't need 2 of them) than the built in units.

tom
    I actually own a unit designed for flight planning and air navigation but I have played with the Street Pilot III which is the street version of mine.

It is really user friendly and allows you to update the database via either web download or CD. You can create your own waypoints too, something like 400 of them.

Nice unit.
  • khallockkhallock Member Posts: 63
    I have a 05 LL Bean with about 1300 miles on it so far. Ever since about 600 miles or so I have been noticing a whining sound in the transmission. But I'm not sure if I'm just hearing things or what?! My husband checked the transmission fluid and it was right on track, but he noticed the power steering fluid was only filled to the "Cold Max". Does that matter? I suppose its almost October and in Vermont its kind of getting cold. Do I need to fill that more or is it ok for now?

So back to the transmission sounds...

When I start the car in the AM I definitely hear it whining, but as soon as I put it in gear and drive it seems to go away. Sometimes I will notice that it will be louder when I am going slower, like 35 or so, but as soon as I step on the gas the noise goes away. Then again if I take my foot of the gas and just coast at (at @35mph) the noise comes back.

What do you think? My initial thought right now is to let it go until 3000 miles and then take it to Subaru for the oil change and see what they have to say about it. I feel like an idiot bringing it in if there is nothing wrong with it.

On the other hand my husband has a 97 Blazer with a bad transmission (torque converter needs replacing) so I know what a whiny transmission sounds like.

I hope I am just imaging all these noises because I dont want anything to be wrong with this car. I love it!

Oh yeah. Sometimes I will drive with no radio on to listen for the noises and I cant hear a thing. Maybe this is all in my head...

Thanks,
    Kristen
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    For those of you interested, tirerack finally has snow tire packages listed on their website. 16" steelies for the 2.5i and 17" alloys for the GT.

Since it's a blistering 56 degrees here in Boston and whatever tropical depression that moved through today started knocking leaves off the trees, I'm reminded that the white stuff will soon be flying.
    You guys are good salesmen! :o)

I think I have to check them out in person, play around with them a bit.

-juice
    Kristen,

I have noticed that there is a pinion sound (whine) from my transimission when coasting just below 20mph. As soon as I go above or below that speed, the sound goes away. I attributed it to the tranny being new and the tolerances very tight. My dealer, who agreed with my assesment, also thought that the sound would fade over time. I'm at 4500 miles now and it seems to have done just that.

You mentioned hearing a noise when first starting in the morning but before actually driving. That would seem like it's something other than the transmission. A loose belt perhaps?

Ken