Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• glycinemaxglycinemax Member Posts: 74
    Subdriven version of G3 OB press release has Limited-Slip RD listed under 2.5i spec.s.
  • spinakerspinaker Member Posts: 24
    6thbeatle, I think you are refering to the B11S. You will find some information here:

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/scoobie/Wrx%20-%20To%20View%20t- - - he%20pages/subaru_b11s.htm

BTW this car has 400hp and 405 Lbs of torque? Must be like a rocket, not bad!! If this isn't what you were expecting, let me know I will try and find you what you seek...

- spinaker
  • 6thbeatle6thbeatle Member Posts: 180
    ooooh, yeah, that's it! what a neat car! it looks like it would be a natural rival to cars like the mazda rx-8 or audi TT quattro or porsche carrera4. i hope even hyundai goes ahead and builds the next tiburon based on its recent show car and gives it a turbocharger and full time awd like they've been hinting. this would make for a great comparison test between the 5 cars, although the rx-8 would be at a distinct disadvantage with only rwd i would suppose.

in any case, i think this is subaru's nicest looking concept ever. definitely better than the justy! ha ha! thanks for the sweet pix, spin! :P
  • nieculniecul Member Posts: 1
    This is what i could find on the B11S, I love the design. Just make the interior a little more realistic.
    These are sites on the design of the B11S.
    http://www.drive.subaru.com/Win04_DesignRevolution.htm
    http://www.drive.subaru.com/Sum03_B11S.htm

This site has pics from subdriven. Love the pop up roof pic.
    http://www.subdriven.com/gallerytk/gallery2.php?mode=album&al- bum=Automobiles/Concepts/B11S

Luch
  • barker5barker5 Member Posts: 9
    In the event the '05 Legacy/Outback does not have a Nav option, can anyone recommend a 4 wheel drive sedan with a Nav that is moderately priced -under 30k? Once you have had a Nav,it is hard to do without one!
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Yeah. Buy the Subie. Then have the NAV installed aftermarket. No big deal.
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    The only affordable awd sedan with a nav option that comes to mind is the Infiniti G35x...but it'll run around $35k for one with navigation and AWD. Under $30k is going to be a hard find...

Brian
  • thepdmmthepdmm Member Posts: 82
    the 05 Legacy is an option for my next car this year however I have sat in an 04 legacy and found that it did not have enough headroom. I am 6 foot 3 and I am curious if anyone has sat in the car yet and if so is there a considerable amount more headroom in the 05 compared to 04 (04 did not have power seats and had a sunroof).

I also would like a nav system but personally I have decided against getting a nav system put in the car, and maybe get a hand held, my favorite is the Magellan 700, it has all the features as the factory nav systems (including the touch screen) and you can take it in any car. and assuming the factory nav is $2K the Megellan 700 averages about $500 to $700 less then any nav system that is put in the car.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Actually the Mazda3 will offer a Nav option, it's not expensive at all.

My guess is they set it up for the Volvo S40, which shares the platform, so went ahead and offered it for the Mazda, too.

Subaru should sell this as a stand-alone option, perhaps as part of the SPT catalog.

-juice
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Re headroon. Did you sit in a vehicle with a sunroof. The non sunroof models have considerably more head room. 1.7 inch difference for the current models.
    Yes I did sit in a model with a sunroof and I would like to get one with a sunroof if possible (and the wife also wants a sunroof) I also sat in one without power seats, so I did not have the up and down movement that power seats would give me..? I have heard that the new 05 legacy has more "interior room" but have not heard specifically more head room and now that car shows are happening I was curious if anyone had sat in one and had taken notice?
    That photo is me in a sedan *with* a moonroof.

However, the sedan's moonroof is smaller than the wagon's. So the sedan's moonroof did not affect rear headroom, you can see the space for it is well in front of the rear passenger's head.

On the wagon, it might cut out some head room, but keep in mind there was more head room to begin with.

I'm 6' and did not feel crowded in any of the ones I sat in. Unless you will routinely carry 6'4" passengers I think you'll be fine.

-juice

-juice
    I haven't made an account to look at your photo ateixeira however I will routinely be carrying me in the car and I am 6'3".. But a lot of the time rear headroom is down from front headroom so that could be good.

I will be going to the Cinncy auto show so Hopefully they will have the sedan available for me to sit in..??
    Hope so, they've been putting two Legacys in smaller auto shows lately.

-juice
  • jwatsjwats Member Posts: 72
    any idea when these will be available?
    thanks
    John
  • kenokakenoka Member Posts: 218
    I've been hearing early to mid March.
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    Black
    a really nice pearl white
    a lovely very light green
    blue pearl (mellow - a bit richer than sky)
    silver
    red

Gotta see 'em! Coming soon!

Patti
    Oh, my!

Oh, my, indeed.

Interior colours?

--he asked impatiently...
  • 6thbeatle6thbeatle Member Posts: 180
    i have been waiting for the subaru legacy GT wagon to come out, as well as the mazda 6 wagon, and the dodge magnum (i was also waiting for the dodge kahuna, but it'll probably never happen--too bad).

i like big V8 powered cars, so the magnum is great, but it's got a kind of cheap-looking interior which REALLY puts me off. and fuel economy is only so-so. also, since it rains a lot where i live and i snowboard, RWD is not really an option, so i'd have to factor in the additional cost of AWD. a 3.5L V6 AWD magnum would be a happy choice.

the subaru legacy turbo wagon is nice inside with chrome touches, good leather, and the best available car stereo you can buy today (Mackintosh), but it's too pricey. it's very sleek looking though, and it would blow the other two wagons away on the road. hmmph!

the mazda 6 wagon, as my last choice, is not the best in any category. as the previous owner of a P5, i am familiar with their barely adequate power, but the hp and torque ratings for the 6 are alright. nothing to get excited about compared to the other two wagons, but adequate.

the mazda 6 interior is also okay, but not as deluxe as the subaru and not as roomy as the magnum. but price-wise, the mazda 6 comes in much less than the other two, and that, plus mazda's good handling characteristics, is making me lean towards getting a mazda 6 wagon.
  • npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    Ok, I've seen all these pics...very nice car, but where would one put his nice aftermarket stereo with built-in MP3 capability? I notice a lot of car manufacturers are tilting toward dash designs with integrated stereos that can't easily be swapped out for an aftermarket (Honda Accord, Mazda 6, etc), but they're not offering MP3 capability in the built in stereos.
    Light green? Different than Wintergreen or the latest SeaMist Green?

Wonder how the Blue compares to Mystic Blue Pearl.

No light blue? :-(

I think the Mazda6 wagon will come out cheaper, but of course it lacks AWD. I like the styling, but see if it'll get break-away mirrors, and what is Mazda going about the rust/staining issue? I'd avoid those until that is resolved.

-juice
    Thanks for the info!
    So Pearl White rather than the standard Subaru Arctic White? That's very tempting. Is the red a true red, or the more burgundy red I've seen on JDM Legacies?
    In Japan they have a blank DIN faceplate available. I'm sure you could get one shipped. SOA may even offer it in their parts catalog. Patti?
    I asked Jamie Thomas if they'll sell it, she's not sure yet. It is sold in Japan and she thinks they'll import it, but not sure.

Of course no word on whether the harness will be the same as current Subies so those WRX 6CD changers will fit.

-juice
  • otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Anyone come across a 2005 Outback sedan image??

THanks,

Ralph
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I just checked www.need-desire.com and it wasn't there.
  • buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    What a waste. I thought they were killing that thing.
    In the US it's rare, but apparently it's popular in Canada. Some people just want a sedan to drive in deep snow.

That was the reason I was given by SoA employees for its continued existence.

-juice
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    I don't think it is any more popular here, I have only ever seen one of them.

Cheers Pat.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    You need to stop washing/waxing the Titan and get out more often.

You've only seen one Baja, one OB sedan and no chicken with teeth.

Have you seen any F-150's?

DaveM
    Dave, yep lots of F-150's

Cheers Pat.
    Though drop the sedan, for one it is one odd looking creation, it is also the sedan that was responsible for most of the flack over the C.A.F.E. furore.

Cheers Pat.
  • trueawdtrueawd Member Posts: 64
    There is an Outback sedan in the line up. It'll only come one way. H6 loaded,non VDC.

It should be sweet!!
  • otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    What's wrong w/ the sedan? I have an LLBean and I'm thinking about adding the H6 sedan. I don't need two station wagons, I just need two AWDs. I've liked the SUS ever since it came out. IYAM, the wagon got the ugly looks...

BTW, I see plenty of Outback sedans comuting on the Taconic parkway in Westchester Co., north of NYC. Maybe SOA sells them all there...

Ralph
    IYAM? This isn't instant messaging, and some of us old people, like me, don't understand all those abbreviations. What the thunder is IYAM? "I am a sweet potato????"

I know IMHO, but I avoid using it, too....
  • rangnerrangner Member Posts: 336
    yeah I'm not that old, but i still don't know what they all mean. what about IIRC?

Eric
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    If I Recall Correctly.

IYAM - If You Ask Me????? Just a guess.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    At least that's what www.acronymfinder.com says.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    YMMV...IMHO ;-)

-Brian
    I thought you mis-spelled "I am". ;-)

Here in the US the sedan represents so few sales it wasn't worth all the controversy over having a sedan that's called a truck. Some SoA reps say it's more popular in Canada, I dunno. I don't have sales figures.

One thing is that the new sedan is very handsome, the C-pillar is very well sorted, so the new Outback sedan might look better than the current one, by far.

-juice
    I am hoping that whatever they have for sedan models/trim with the H6 are visually appealing. I don't care really if it is a Legacy or an Outback but I want a 6 cyliner sedan. It just had better not be as ugly as the current Outback sedan. If it is I will probably end up with an Infiniti G35x.
  • mjc440mjc440 Member Posts: 76
    How could Subaru not know by now what colors they'll be offering in the U.S.?

Regarding the controversy over Subarau calling sedans "trucks", why should it be any different from calling a station wagan a truck? How many people actually do work with the Legacy wagon? I only see old ladies driving them.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Read post #729.

DaveM
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    I am 44. I am a male. I own my own home. I am on my second outback. This vehicle goes north to our ski chalet on weekends. AWD gets me there, and up the driveway. I carry skis and bikes on the roof. I move my tools back and forth. I built a 12 x 16 deck, and moved all the wood home on the roof.

BTW, I am not an old lady.
    I think the new sedan body is much better looking than the outgoing one. It actually improved more than the wagon did, IMO. The gooseneck hinges in the trunk are now covered, at least. The flares look better and the paint colors are more subtle.

So I'm sure the new Outback sedan will look much better. I still prefer wagons, though.

-juice
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Actually I don't think SUV's and Trucks should be called "trucks" either as I usually (won't say only) see them driven by posers that never need the capability they have. At least the Subaru is more appropriately sized for most people.
    Rant on:

I have a 98 Outback but my wife drives an 03 Expedition. If we do not "need" the capability that vehicle offers why do you care? Do most Outback owners "need" AWD? No. Do I need it? No. Do I appreciate it in the winter? Darn right. I bristle when people judge SUV drivers. Until everyone is driving around in micro-cars getting 50 MPG, don't judge others choices. The Outbacks mileage is not stellar at 20-24 MPG. The fact in my situation is that my Outback consumes more gas in a year than her Expedition does due to the few miles driven by her. People who rag on SUV's need to get over it. This is America and it's all about personal choice. I don't see people complaining about salesmen driving around and putting 30K miles on their car each year and the gas that consumes. I simply don't understand the underlying backlash against SUV's. If it was truly natural resources people were concerned about we would be buying more fuel efficient cars than we are. It's all relative.

Rant off.

Karl
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    But are you entitled to a tax break because your guzzler is considered a truck?
    Quote: But are you entitled to a tax break because your guzzler is considered a truck?

Did I say that? Boy I don't remember that line. I've read my post a second time and I still don't see it. I know I personally have never asked for nor received a tax break because of the Expedition.

That is a totally different topic in my opinion - tax breaks and posers. I can't say that I support that "loophole".

Feel free to fire off rebuttals but since this really is off topic my posting is done on this matter.

Karl
  • buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    'I bristle when people judge SUV drivers. Until everyone is driving around in micro-cars getting 50 MPG, don't judge others choices.'

This is America, we have the right to judge other peoples choices ;-) SUV's are like guns harmless by themselves, but in the wrong hands?

Rant On:
    They need to make a special driving test for SUV drivers, this test should include the folowing: P

Parallel Parking - Car bumping = DQ
    Parking Lot Stall Parking - Crossing lines or compact stalls = DQ.
    Freeway Lane Adherence - Crossing line in curves = Points off, Crossing lines on straights = DQ
    Highway Lane Adherence - Crossing yellow line = DQ
    Lane Changing Signals - Lack of signal = DQ
    Left Turn Signal at intersection - No signal = DQ
    Fast Lane Cruising - If your'e not passing people on the right get out of the way. If you get passed on the right = DQ
    Emergency Rain/Snow Braking - Staying Between the lines = Pass, Swerving wildly = Points off, Flipping/Crashing = DQ

Rant Off :-)