Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• bobny11580bobny11580 Member Posts: 31
    Someone here suggested that synthetic oil is worth around two extra miles per gallon. I haven't experienced this and I've used it on four cars in the last six years. Does anyone else find they get better gas mileage with syn?

Bob
    Long Island
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    http://info.detnews.com/autosconsumer/autoreviews/index.cfm?id=22176

Interesting that it had "optional" mud-and-snow tires! The Spec B comes standard with "summer" performance tires.

Bob
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Nope. I noticed no difference on my 98 OB. I haven't decided if I'll make the switch on my 06 yet.
  • oclvframeoclvframe Member Posts: 121
    Is there anyone out there with a set of stock Legacy GT or Limited wheels that they are willing to part with? I would like to get a set of 17" wheels to put on my 01 LL Bean to replace the 16" wheels that come on it.

-r
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    There are some offered on legacygt.com, not sure if they're still available.

The best 17" wheel deal going are 17x7, 48mm offset BBS RK's. They are being sold by SAAB dealers at low prices because once GM sold their shares in Subaru, the 9-2 is going away and they are excess. I paid $500 for four at Charles River (Watertown, MA) SAAB on eBay. According to other buyers they will sell them for $500 for 4 including BBS center hubs and shipping.

BBS RK's usually sell for over $250 each. They weigh exactly 18 lbs, substantially lighter than the stock alloy rim.
  • dunsduns Member Posts: 2
    With about 5K miles, my 2006 Legacy 2.5 SE has developed some buzzes and rattles when going over moderate to severe road imperfections. Specifically from behind the center of the dashboard, and in the front passenger door, around the door pull. My guess is the stiff suspension combined with the stiff sidewall 17" wheel/tire combo is loosening things up a bit. This is my first Subaru after 3 Hondas, and my 97 Accord with 170K felt tighter than the Sub. Anybody else experiencing this? I have an appointment with my dealer, but would appreciate any insights anyone may. have.
  • subdensubden Member Posts: 40
    Sorry if this has been discussed before, but my search didn't turn up anything...anybody have any experience on brake wear for OBXT? I've got 18k on mine and just wondering if the brakes are 20K wonders like on some cars or if people are getting better wear?
  • mikez51mikez51 Member Posts: 3
    New to the site and this is my first Subaru. Infact it's my first NON AMERICAN car. I've always owned American made everything in our 3 plus car family was GM. Until 04 when I purchased a 04 Durango Limited "yes it's a Hemi" as the Trailblazer had more time at the dealer then on the road. The Durango was great for trips and driving the 19 round trip miles to work. Things change, great new job, but its a 70 mile haul round trip. and my underground parking spot is the size of a postage stamp. The Durango just cleared to water pipes and took two spaces. Security had to park it and bring it up at night. Needless to say the gas bill was over $300.00 last month. So whats a guy to do? Dodge M
    still to large, even the six gets poor mileage. Saab 9-3 wagon only 1 dealer with in 90 miles at it's sticker plus, BMW 3 wagon Yes Please but $45,000.00. Volvo noway. So I drove the Outback it's small by Durango or even Trailblazer standards but it gets over 25 MPG. all wheel drive and it fits in the postage stamp assigned space. It's a little large then the BMW and Saab, with a very nice interior given its a sub $30,000.00 unit. The dealer easy to work with and the deal was very good, I like deep discounts. My oldest daughter took the Durango, or I got taken for it. The first week was a real adjustement but so far so good. Now I undersand why imports even if it's made in the U.S.A. have GM and Ford on the ropes. If only the Outback was 8" higher.
    New to the site and this is my first Subaru. Infact it's my first NON AMERICAN car. I've always owned American made everything in our 3 plus car family was GM. Until 04 when I purchased a 04 Durango Limited
    Why is the Indiana-built Subaru a non-American car, but the German owned Dodge is an "American" car?

The OBW is tall, long, and relatively narrow compared to most competitors.
  • mikez51mikez51 Member Posts: 3
    Fuji Heavy Industries name is allover my owners manual, and I understand it's build in Indiana. You are correct Chrysler is part of MB. I stand corrected. Rearding the OB hovever I wish it had "Automatic" door locks, and a power passanger seat. Otherwise it's a great ride.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Rearding the OB hovever I wish it had "Automatic" door locks, and a power passanger seat.

I guess that Subaru decided to not package the latter into the 2.5 Limited. Though, as you probably know, a power passenger seat is standard on the more expensive XT, 3.0R LL Bean, and 3.0R VDC models.

Congratulations on your new vehicle.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Well, just for a few blocks. ;-)

A good buddy of mine had been shopping around for a new car and he finally decided to pull the trigger on a Legacy GT Spec B this weekend.

The Spec B he purchased had been sitting on the dealer's lot for about 3 months. They wanted to move it so they sold it to him at invoice without even blinking an eye. Personally, I think he could have gotten even more, but my friend was happy with the price.

Anyway, after picking it up, he stopped by my house and let me drive it a few blocks.

My impressions:
    - The overall vehicle looks much nicer in person. From the early photos, I thought the 18" wheels didn't look right, but up close, they look great.
    - The dark silver is really a nice color. It was raining yersterday and the combination of the beading rainwater, chromed headlights (vs. 05 models), chrome accent on side skirts and wheels really flowed together well.
    - The interior red is not as garish as I had thought. It's a fairly warm and subdued tone that works quite well with the rest of the vehicle.
    - The ride, in my very limited test drive, was not very harsh at all. If I wasn't surrounded by the red leather and with a Navi system glowing on the center console, I would think it was a regular LGT sedan.

One interesting note regarding power delivery that's not specifically related to the Spec B -- I didn't really get as much of a "wow" driving the 5MT this time. When I was shopping for my LGT wagon two years ago, I felt a marked difference in the power delivery when driving a 5MT vs. 5EAT version.

However, this time around, I drove a regular LGT sedan (no pre-purchase Spec B test drives) and my friend's new Spec B. While I did notice a power delivery difference, it just wasn't as marked as it was before. While there certainly is a new vs. broken-in engine difference, I wonder if I was seeing the difference of a new vs. learned 5EAT.

Ken
    Ken, I think the wow-less feeling you got is simply due to the fact that you're now used to the L-GT's power, whereas before you were coming off your older Forester.

I'm finding that with my new WRX, I'm not as impressed with the power as I once was—until I go drive my wife's Forester or son's OB-S.

Bob
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    So True, Bob. I'm used to having all of that power now, so fast cars aren't as fast anymore. But slow cars are REALLY slow! :D

I don't know if I can go back to driving a slower car anymore- it might even be dangerous! ;)

I remember when getting to 60mph in under 9 seconds seemed pretty fast to me (back when all cars were terribly underpowered- uh, the last gas crunch) but now anything that doesn't do 60 in under 6 sec is too slow. I guess the adage that power corrupts is true. :)

tom
    Ain't that the truth!

I'm old enough to remember car magazines raving about the old BMW 2002 doing 0-60 in 10.5 seconds, and any car running sub-12 second 0-60 as being "quick."

Now out-and-out luxury sedans (RR, Lexus LS460) run sub-6 second 0-60 times!

Bob
    Could be, but I was focusing on the relative back-to-back impressions of driving 5MT and 5EAT GTs. I agree that I have gotten spoiled by the power of my LGT wagon, but it still puts an ear-to-ear grin on a daily basis. :-)

Ken
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    To me, back in the day (80s high school years), 9 seconds was quick, under 8 and that was super.

Now it's more like under 7 to be quick, under 5 to impress anyone, and that's among affordable cars!

-juice
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    Before writing this I read the recent R&T comparo, even the australian Drive.com.au comparo, both with the videos. Then I went to my C&D library, and checked every word about a Legacy GT and Spec B, and that Mazdaspeed. My conclusion is that those magazines were testing a different car than Edmunds Inside Line. Please, write your point of view, because I'm disturbed after reading it. Maybe it's time for Edmunds to buy their cars (a la Consumer Reports) so Mazda never again can pump a car at them. See all this in http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=109487
    The biggest difference between the MazdaSpeed and the Subaru is that every Subaru is AWD and all the suspension components are well proven - and the dealers know how to work on them.

The MazdaSpeed is an impressive hot-rodding job, but is a one-off.
    Here was my summary:

ateixeira, "MAZDASPEED Mazda6" #661, 6 Dec 2005 1:39 pm

Though keep in mind Mazda is having issues with heat soak on the engines, owners are losing power when this happens.

-juice
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    I just drove a Mazdaspeed 6 a few weeks ago with a female friend who is interested in buying a car like that. I haven't driven a spec.B but I've driven a Legacy GT a number of times.

Claimed power and torque be damned, the MS6 does not feel as potent below 4000 rpm as the Legacy GT.

However, the first rant that inspired this line of discussion is WAAAAY off the mark. The cars are close, and different people will have different preferences. In the linked article, you can see that at least one Edmunds tester preferred the spec.B-- what in the world prompted a jump to the notion of Mazda supplying a hand-tuned superior car? :confuse:

Sorry, I don't buy that.
    ~Colin
    ...there have been times when Subaru was suspected of placing ringers for tests too. ;-)

But yes, these cars are close. That would explain why you see some magazines rating one over the other.

However, if I were in the market, I'd be a little wary of the MS6 since it looks like Mazda's going through some teething pains with repsect to engine tuning right now.

Ken
    After what Mazda did with the RX-8 and power claims, I'm not sure I entirely trust that the MS6 has more power than the GT.

It's interesting that the Edmunds article didn't consider the Spec B much more an improvement over the GT. For a few $K you could build up a GT that handles better than the MS6.

I think Subaru needs a Legacy STi, which might be more along parallel lines to the MS6 as a high performance version of the Legacy. I still think of the GT and Spec B more as 'Touring' cars. They're certainly not a match for an M3. But an STi version might be. . . :D

tom
    I think the suspension and especially the summer tires do mean it would handle significantly better than the regular Legacy GT, at least on dry pavement.

The Speed6 has summer tires also, so those two are just a lot more comparable.

The '07 spec.B will be more distinguished - 6 speed trans for instance. I'd like to see stiffer spring rates too.

-juice
    Spec B is the only manual Subie w/NAVI.

Not sure I like the idea of summer tires. I have no complaints whatsoever with my 215/45x17 RE92 all-season tires on my WRX. I know there are many who hate those tires, but in the size I have, they are fine. Not great in the snow—but at least they're legal driving in the snow; not so with summer tires.

Bob
    The label "RE92" is used on many different tires, even with a different tread.

My wife's car has them, and I'm almost certain the tread and even the construction is substantially different than the tires on your car.

Hers are 205/60R15!

-juice
    Spec B's have Bridgestone RE050's.
    Legacy GT's have RE92's.
    Outbacks have RE92A's.
    And who knows what else.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselector/index_bs.asp?pagesource=searchbyvehi- cle
    Actually, the GT's have the RE-92a's. They are great tires if you enjoy sliding around. I did a couple unintentional 4 wheel drifts on some wet onramps.

If you would rather have tires that actually grip the ground when it gets wet, try something else. :D

tom
  • rhodyjoerhodyjoe Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone tell me where to find the wiring harness for trailer lights? I want to install a trailer hitch on my '05 OBXT. There should be a trailer light wiring harness somewhere in the rear of the cargo area near the drivers side turn/brake lights, but I can't seem to locate it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    The wiring harness comes with the hitch as a package, it's not in the car already.
    Thanks for the reply... I am aware that the trailer light wiring harness comes packed with the hitch from Subaru. I guess what I am looking for is the pre-wired connector that the wiring harness plugs into. I have been told it is concealed inside near the left rear turn signal housing, but I cannot locate it.
    Please reply with any info on this.... Thanks!
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Try calling your dealer's parts department and ask them...I don't have an owner's manual in front of me at the moment but it may be in there.
  • jamison13jamison13 Member Posts: 4
    hey rhodyjoe

what kind of hitch are you buying. i'm looking for a hitch myself. let me know $$ and how long it took you to install.

thanks
    In my '98 Forester, it was tucked in the spare tire well near the back of the vehicle. It was plug-n-play, very easy and very nice.

pic below.

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    I can tell you that when U-Haul installed their class II hitch ($295 w/ball and life-time warranty) they just hooked up the wiring harness inside the left taillight. He just used one of those connectors that "share" the wire. He didn't actually cut anything, this way if I ever remove the hitch I can remove the harness with no problems.

Mark
    -06 Bean OBW
  • jbbwvjbbwv Member Posts: 11
    For those who might be interested, Ventvisors for 05/06 Legacy/Outbacks should start shipping on or about the 28th of this month. John :)
    I ended up buying a "Hidden Hitch" for my '05 OBXT. It was purchased from etrailer.com for $168. The wiring harness was $35. This hitch is rated as a Class II with a towing capacity of 3500LB and a max tongue weight of 300LB. Overall it is heavier duty than the $299 hitch sold by Subaru (Class 1 / 2400LB Capacity / 200LB max tongue wt.). I paid a my local dealer to install the hitch, but if I had more time and a set of ramps, it looks like a very straighforward installation. The Hidden Hitch barely shows except for the receiver, and has a nice rounded design that fits nicely with the lines of the vehicle. Hope this helps!
  • gearhead4gearhead4 Member Posts: 122
    garandman,

Okay, I'll accept that Subaru engineers know more about the metallurgy and seal formulation than a shade tree mechanic like me. But I have been changing oil in automobiles for over 30 years and have never experienced oil consumption or leaks after switching back and forth between synthetic and mineral oils.
    So explain to me what you mean when you say that Subaru engines become "accustomed" to either synthetic or mineral oil.

As far as the oil change intervals recommended by Subaru, I must agree that they should be followed as published in the owners manual. Even though the distinctions between normal duty and severe duty are somewhat vague.

Subaru likes to promote itself as an environmentally responsible manufacturer. Perhaps Subaru should equip its vehicles will oil life monitors like many less expensive vehicles (Toyota Camry, for example). Changing oil more often than necessary is not kind to the environment.

gearhead4
  • duffd1duffd1 Member Posts: 5
    My wife is looking at a 2005 or 2006 Outback. Can someone tell me the advantages of each? Does the 2.5 nonturbo have enough power to be considered? She won't be offroading, just local and highway usage. Thanks
  • gearhead4gearhead4 Member Posts: 122
    duffd1,
    How much power is enough? That's largely dependant on what you want to do. I think the 175hp 2006 Outback has adequate power for day to day driving. Go with the manual transmission and you will get better performance and much better fuel economy. But if you are towing a trailer up a mountain, you definitely need the H6.
    For quick sprints, you can't beat the 2.5 turbo with a manual transmission.
    The 2006 model has a 2.5 engine with 7 more HP than the 2005. The 2006 also comes with the engine immobilizer security system. I think it also has improved side collision protection.
    I also like the appearance of the 06 wheels and the Atlantic Blue on Blue color combination.
    -Jim
    Yes, I agree that the base engine for the OB is adequate but "enough" power is a relative term. The H6 is a nice step up from the base engine but from a power perspective, the H4 Turbo will deliver the most.

Try this webpage for lots of detailed info on the 2005 and 2006 Outback. There's even a summary of what's new for 2005.

Ken
  • duffd1duffd1 Member Posts: 5
    Would you happen to know if there is significant per mile differences in the 6 vs the 4 turbo. Also, do you know of any major fixs on the 2006 model vs 2005 Outback. I think the cd player plays MP3's in 2006, don't know of anything else. Did not see the blue on blue, but saw a blue on grey that looked good?
  • doug1doug1 Member Posts: 37
    For models with the base engine, the changes include the following:

-17" wheels, vs. 16" on the 2005
    -engine immobilizer included
    -key fob buttons recessed to reduced accidental presses
    -improved side impact protection, as evidenced in IIHS tests
    -slightly improved HP and torque, via the addition of a version of variable-valve timing
    -cabin air filtration standard

I wouldn't bother with a 2005 when these improvements can be had with the 2006s. Plus, the 2006s have $2000 rebates now, and I'd guess they can be had for at least $4500 below MSRP.

I have a 2005 OB XT, by the way, which I bought from Joe, the operator of the cars101 site. I'm pretty happy with it, although the clutch action is poor. I've always driven a stick, but this car is the only one I've found so easy to stall. If only Subaru had VW's DSG transmission!

As for mileage, I don't know about the six, other than what the EPA sticker says. I probably get about 16 and 24 with the XT. I'd expect 3-4 mpg better with the base engine.

Doug
  • doug1doug1 Member Posts: 37
    Oops, I didn't notice that you were primarily comparing the 6 and the turbo-4 with regard to mileage.

One other thing, the changes for the 2006 XTs were fewer than for the base-engined models:

-key fob buttons recessed to reduced accidental presses
    -improved side impact protection, as evidenced in IIHS tests
    -cabin air filtration standard
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    One major difference between the 2005's and the 2006's are that the 2006's received some enhancements to, at minimum, improve their crash test performance, and, quite possibly, their general crashworthiness in the real world.

These tests were made against a Subaru Legacy so it's somewhat debatable how much they apply to a taller Outback:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=259

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=602

"Beginning with 2006 models, changes were made to the side structure, front seats, and front seat-mounted torso airbags to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes."

These crash tests are different from the NHTSA and ANCAP tests because they use a barrier that's designed to approximate the height and weight of a mid-sized SUV. Thus the test is tougher.

Also note how for the Outback (and Legacy), the performance in the head restraint test also improved in the 2006's:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_restraints/head_subaru.html

I didn't put the Outback on my short list until the 2006 changes were made.
    So explain to me what you mean when you say that Subaru engines become "accustomed" to either synthetic or mineral oil.
    I didn't say it - SOA did. I think it's idiotic.

Our Chevy van - $20,510 - has an oil life system.
  • cathmaccathmac Member Posts: 49
    Garandman,
    I know very little about engines in general or oil in particular so forgive me if my question seems off-base.

I think I understand what you were saying in an earlier post about how things have changed since "the early days" of synthetic oil. But I am wondering if you agree with Samian_68, lilengineerboy, & locke2c, (post #s 8695, 8696, & 8697) regarding synthetic oil adversely affecting break-in? If so, would you say that switching back and forth after break-in is ok? And, when would break-in be complete? Could you hedge your bets by using some sort of
    pre-mixed combination? Would that be more or less expensive than straight synthetic?

I am interested since we just bought a newer used 2005 2.5i 4 cyl Legacy/OB. The in-service date is 4/05 and the vehicle has approximately 20,100 miles. My local dealer picked it up at Auction and Carfax tells me it is a former Texas daily rental. We did have a mechanic check it out and there are no apparent oil issues resulting from the Texas temperature extremes. If it matters, we are in the Boston, MA area, so we have the New England weather (Winter in particular) to deal with.

I know that synthetic oil is recommended for engines prone to oil sludge problems but I haven't seen any indication that might be a problem with any Subarus. Does synthetic oil improve gas mileage, or engine performance in other respects? I know that the occasional Subaru will develope piston slap; if memory serves correctly some owners have seen modest improvement using Castrol 10x30.

On the other extreme I have heard that Pennzoil can cause some sort of crud build-up.

In summary, should I avoid Syn during break-in? When would break-in be complete? Are there any advantages to Syn? Could I hedge my bets using a pre-mixed Dino/Syn combo? Would that be more expensive than Syn? Do you have any recommendation on brand? Would oil changes every 3,750 be adequate? Finally, do you recommend changing the oil filter with every oil change?

This is the closest thing to a brand new car I am likely to have for the next ten years or more so I am anxious to take good care of it. I would appreciate your feedback.
    ~Cath
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Cath,

Some of my previous posts have digressed quite a bit into technical bits that may or may not be all that relevant to every day situations. Let me try to answer your questions as concisely as possible.

#1 Break-in occurs within the first few hundred miles of operation. Some manufacturers rate it as 500 miles, others 1,000. During break-in you must avoid steady, sustained RPM (the manuals sometimes simplify this to say 'don't use cruise control') and also high load on the engine which they often simplify to 'stay below 4,000 rpm and avoid wide-open throttle'. After break-in is complete, you can use your engine however you want as long as it is warmed up and properly maintained.

#2 Synthetic oil is superior in every way to mineral oil and has absolutely no drawbacks other than cost. Engines simply will last longer using it than they would if they did not. As with anything in life, there are no guarantees and even a Honda running synthetic will wear out eventually. Miles are wear and wear will require replacement, at some point.

#3 Synthetic oil is so good that the filter is the reason for the change interval, especially on cars that utilize a standard screw-on type small filter. The filter has a limited surface area and becomes contaminated typically within 4,000 - 5,000 miles. BMW and some other brands use a larger cartridge type of filter that is more expensive but lasts longer, so with synthetic those cars can use change intervals of 7,500 miles or greater.

#4 Gas mileage based on oil has everything to do with oil weight and nothing to do with synthetic vs. conventional. Subarus use either 5w30 or 10w30 from the factory and the owner's manual specifies a large range of oils that are suitable depending on the conditions. Heavier oil will cause more resistance against the crankshaft which will result in less economy, but it shouldn't be hardly measureable-- maybe 1-2 MPG at the most. A driver's right foot has a lot more to do with MPG than oil weight.

#5 Synthetic blends are rarely worth it. For the premium you should just use a full synthetic to get the maximum benefit, or if you are on a budget just use a good quality conventional oil.

In conclusion I would say that if you can afford to use Mobil1 10w30 every 4,000 - 5,000 miles and a premium filter (Subaru brand or Purolator) you are doing everything that you can from an oil standpoint for your new Subaru. Do that and forget about the rest.

~Colin
    IT guy at an oil company and car hobbyist mechanic
  • cathmaccathmac Member Posts: 49
    Colin,
    Thanks for the concise but thorough response. Your bottom line recommendation sounds pretty simple and straight-forward.

I'm guessing Synthetic oil is more important for high performance engines or those engines prone to oil sludge problems.

Regarding the break-in period, it could be a long time before that's an issue for me. The lowest mile car I ever bought was a 1997 OB Sport with about 4,200 miles and it was 2 1/4 years old. (Yes, that's 4,200 not 42,000). Up until I bought this 2005 Legacy OB that was the closest thing to a new car I'd ever bought.

I may never buy a new car. Let the other guy take the hit on depreciation. I only bought this one because my 1997 OB Sport fell victim to a flying slab of granite countertop.
    ~Cath
  • milesamilesa Member Posts: 1
    The IIHS crash tests were only done with the Legacy sedan models, NOT the wagons.

There was a recall in 2005 on Legacy sedans only, in which the placement of the side airbags was changed to better protect the occupants in test situations similar to those done by IIHS.

The 2005 Legacy sedan and wagon was awarded top rating for crash safety in Australia. This goes to show that performance in crash tests may vary depending on the details of the test. It is probably a mistake to assume that the 2005 Legacy wagon is unsafe in the real world based on IIHS tests only.