Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    I was actually commenting based on my personal experience owning a 2001 E320 4matic. Not based on comments here.

Regards,
    BigRob.
  • fiyerstarterfiyerstarter Member Posts: 1
    I am new to the forum and have spent a couple days reading horror stories in the Audi and MB forums. I am considering purchasing a 99 E320 4Matic station wagon with 130k miles on it. I would like to know if this is in general a bad move? I am going to have the seller take the car to a garage to have the car checked out before I buy it I just want to know is there certain things I should have looked into more than others with this particular car. I am mostly concerned with problems based on the mileage and problems based on the year of the car.

Thx in advanced
  • wimpywimpy Member Posts: 5
    Mine hasn't and the service at our local dealer is so inept that they not only are of no help but only make things worse when the car is taken in.
  • wimpywimpy Member Posts: 5
    Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. If they are not working, sometimes you can use the remote to unlock then lock and it works. Dealer can't find anything wrong. Anybody had this problem.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    It's almost time to replace the pads and rotors on my 2001 E320 and I was hoping to find some pads (non-OEM) that would produce less dust than the MB pads. Tire Rack doesn't appear to offer any low dust pads for this car and I was wondering if anyone out there has found a source for low dust pads for the E-class cars? :confuse:
  • howard12howard12 Member Posts: 2
    I know most people here have newer models but I purchased this Model a few months ago and have had many problems with the A/C sometimes not working and now I seem to have electical problems no dashboard lights I have lights on the floor shift indicator all the bulbs have been changed. I would like to know if anyone knows where to send to get a manual on this series after what I have read here I am not sure if I want to purchase a new model or not. Can anyone tell me if they know of any MB car meets? :confuse:
  • desperatedesperate Member Posts: 4
    I own a 300 TD `98. Great runner on Highways, but after about 200 miles, if I drive through a built up area it starts to emit light blue smoke, clouds of it. Even on over-run. Very embarrassing, particularly at lights, as soon as I build up speed,it clears, until I hit town again. It doesn`t use oil/water, otherwise a great performer, electric for a Diesel! Any-one experience this?
    It`s done 110,000 mls.
    Tom.
  • sailsail Member Posts: 17
    I have a 98 300TD and find that periodically I have to open (Speed) up the car to clear the pipes). As you state, the blue smoke is there (value stem seals?). 88K on the gauge. Best car ever owned. 34 MPG since new and going strong. Replaced pads with ceramic at 55K. Would recommend ceramic,no dust; bought from TIRE RACK.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Valve stem seals are a likely candidate, and so is the turbo, which can leak oil into the engine through worn seals. If neither of those is determined to be the issue, then you should have a cylinder leakdown test done and that will tell you the internal condition of your engine.
  • jakbearjakbear Member Posts: 1
    I have an E430. The rear window will not go all the way up and appears to be a cable problem once again. Had to have it repaired awhile back and apparently the cable had broken to a tune of $400.00. Can I pull the door panel and do this myself? If so how? Thanks, Joe
    Mr Shiftright,
    Thanks for your response, I suspected the turbo, but wanted to test the water as I`ve been quoted the equivalent of $1500, did`nt want to waste my moolah! The car is great, but really embarrassing under urban conditions! Will keep you posted. Tom.
    Hi Sail,
    Thanks for your reply. You`re right about "opening up", unfortunately that can`t be done around Town. Mr Shiftright suggested "turbo", I suspected the same but thought that I`d flag the problem up first, see what came up. Will keep you posted!
    Regards,
    Tom.
  • srb1194srb1194 Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to install an Alpine XM radio/CD player and roof mount antenna on my '98 E-320 wagon. Has anyone accomplished this or have any suggestions for the install?

Thanks ahead,

srb1194 :confuse:
  • spot2spot2 Member Posts: 15
    Hi there I'm wondering if anyone has any input? My Dad has a '96 E320.He is missing the knob of the switch on the console that you use to adjust the passenger and drivers side mirrors.I have contacted Mercedes and a local Mercedes wreckers in town to try to get another switch . I'm told that all switches on the console are connected and removing one is sort of like taking out the proverbial christmas tree light, it effects the others. Upshot is Mercedes wants $400.00 for a switch and the wreckers want $200.00. Would anyone have any input on any place in North America I can contact to try to get a reasonably priced switch.Heck even a busted switch would work I just want the knob.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Have added XM to my Bose radio . Placed the antenna immediately behind the front windshield towards the center away from the vents. Easy to install and works fine. No need to put on the roof.
  • m3manm3man Member Posts: 1
    I own a 01 E430. I've had minor problems since buying this car. The heated driver went out, wire shortage with the fog lights, the sunroof head liner rattles when open and now the maintenance system has a shortage. I tried replacing the fuse but it blows soon as I install it. MB is not what they use to be. I am never buying a MB again.
  • tom888tom888 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 E500 with the exact same problem with the Dynamic seats. The dealership also told me that it was "normal". It just doesn't seem right that MB would make seats with a clicking noise! Have you had any luck fixing your problem??
  • pvellozopvellozo Member Posts: 19
    i have a 2002 e320 with a radio and bose speakers. i do not have a cassette or c.d. player and would like to have one installed.
    what is the best way to get one? where can i go to get it done? i do not intend to do the installation myself. thanks, paul
    If you have the Bose factory stereo you should have a cassette player. Look at the choises on the screen."Tape" should show up. If it does press the front of the Bose,and the cassette should open. There should be info in the owners manual.

For the CD played try Best Buy.
  • mirie430mirie430 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a MB E430 2002 and my radio just went off while changing stations,now all i see is AUDIO on the display, it wont work. Can any body know what to do?
  • cdurstcdurst Member Posts: 10
    We have a 2003 C240 that has a ticking noise when we accellerate. (sounds like a card in the spokes of a bicycle) The dealer has done something with the lifters and cam (Starmark warranty) but it still happens after we've been driving for some time. Any Suggestions. Thankyou.
    are you using Mercedes or at least German oil filters?
    thankyou for your response. We really appreciate it. We have 66,000 miles and the dealer has done every service (10,000 miles) I am assuming since the dealer has done it, it is mercedes filters. We really do not know anything about cars, although we love this car. We had a Honda accord for 9 years and 191,000 miles before this. This car is definately a blessing. Thankyou and much appreciated.
    Well it's hard to say without hearing it firsthand. Sometimes an exhaust leak sounds like that but also lifter noise can sound like that, too. Can you hear it at idle when you lift the hood up?
    Dear Mr. Shiftright,
    We don't think we can hear it at idle. It only happens when we accelerate.

Even when we took it to the dealer, it was doing it. I parked and kept the car running, gave it gas twice, sounded like a diesel. Keeping the car running, I went and got the service advisor and wouldn't you know it, he came out and we couldn't get it to do it.

We haven't gotten the paper work yet. We picked the car up Friday night and the service advisor was not there to sign off.(they will be mailing the work order) He did say on the phone something about silencers for a perging system by the frame?(again I know nothing about cars) They did that and worked on the lifters and cam? (I think I'm saying that right)

Again thanks for you time,
    My wife and I are musicians. Let US know if you need to know what scale to play when a D7 resolves to g minor.

Sincerely,
    Oh he may have been talking about fuel injector noise.

Well it sounds like they are trying to solve it. Usually a lifter noise would not be so phantom-like and intermittent. An exhaust leak sometimes goes away as the engine heats up. Injector noise can occur any time.

A lifter noise would increase its percussion as the engine revs up, in a regular pattern, but injector noise would remain more or less constant in frequency. Exhaust noise would also increase in frequency with engine speed but not quite as parallel as lifter noise, which is "locked" in frequency to engine speed.
    Mr. Shiftright,

From the information you have given us, it sounds like lifter noise might still be the problem. The noise does increase it percussive sound (that is a great analogy) as the engine revs. When we first start the car, we can hear THE sound, but it is faint and acceptable. As we drive, it gets louder. Especially after an hour drive back from a gig.

Any suggestions I might pass along as we try to remedy this.

Thankyou and Merry Christmas
    Well any noise directly tied to engine speed (more gas pedal, more frequent taps, let off gas, interval between taps slows down) is somewhat troubling, especially if it's an upper engine noise.

Lifter noise can come from a variety of causes. I'm not really that familiar with your engine so I don't know if it has hydraulic lifters or adjustable (mechanical) ones. Hydraulic lifters can become noisy if the oil cavitates (foams, causing air bubbles)due to a circulation issue (crummy oil filters) and mechanical lifters get noisy if out of adjustment or (GULP) if there is oil starvation to the camshaft area.
  • e320suckere320sucker Member Posts: 2
    I have seen quite a few posts for poor AM radio reception primarily because of the window antenna, but have not seen a fix that solves this problem.

BTW, I HAVE NO TINT ON WINDOWS!

I experience very poor AM radio reception even around LA for 50,000W stations.

I have heard some suggest mounting antenna under car or replacing amplifier.

Anyone find any success for this problem?
  • e320suckere320sucker Member Posts: 2
    I'm original owner. Shortly after buying the car, the remote key (Smartkey) failed to work unless it is very close to the sensors in the front door handles. Now a days, you have to be within 5-7 feet. I replaced key batteries with no improvement.

Dealer wants $170 to diagnose.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    I have E300 98 I have to hold the remote key within 6" for the windows and top to retrack. 6' seems to be just about right for the doors and trunk to work.
  • loyalownerloyalowner Member Posts: 8
    Late joiner to this message board. I had a 1994 E320 Wagon that I recently sold with 200K miles on it. Presently drive a 2002 ML-500 and recently purchased a 2005 E320CDI (Diesel). My mother has had a 2002 E320 4-Matic for awhile now. I also had a 98 E320 4-Matic Wagon for awhile. Needless to say I have some MB experience. I have found them all to be very good cars. I buy them slightly used (about 12 months old) to make them more affordable and let someone else deal with any "new car problems". While there have been some mechanical/electrical problems from time to time I have always found the dealer to be helpful and problems get resolved without a hassle. I would suggest trying different dealerships or different service advisers within the same dealership until you get someone you are comfortable working with. I'm sure a Lexus has a better reliability history but who wants to drive around all day in something that has the "personality" of a refrigerator?
    AM radio on the Bose is just plain terrible. Have had a 99 and now an 01. Both lousy on AM. Dealer tried 3 other radios and all were bad on AM. Poor design. Guess nobody in Germany listens to AM. Solution install satillite radio. Love it!

Remote key usually works at different distances depending on the angle of approach to the car. Also have a 2005 SLK. The remote works as good as a Chrysler--very good. The auto up and down on the windows is infrared not RF like locks. Therefore it is normal to have to be very close to the sensor in the door handle.
  • tom888tom888 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 E500 with the dynamic seat option. I'm hearing a double clicking noise coming from both front seats regardless if the dynamic seate are turned on or off. Does anyone else have this problem?
  • pete51pete51 Member Posts: 20
    First I would like to say I agree with loyalowner in the above post, Mercedes seems to age like fine wine, somewhat complex during the aging process, but continues to impress :) as it ages. My question is about tire replacements. I have been using Mich. MXV4's, I do like these tires, but I am wondering if Mich. Hydroedge will work. It is a T rated tire. But I really don't see myself driving in the 120-130 mph range. The car is a 97 E320 with 180k miles. I am looking for longevity in a tire now. Is this a good fit or is it another out there that can fit the well with E320 at a reasonable price and be be of good quality. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • loyalownerloyalowner Member Posts: 8
    I can only offer my experience with the several MBs I have owned. The 94 E320 and 02 ML500 came through with Continental tires on them which were very less than impressive. When the time came I replaced them with the corresponding Michelins and have been very pleased with their performance and treadwear. My mother's 02 E320 4-Matic and my 02 E320CDI both came through with Michelin Energy tires and so far they seem fine as well. Loyal Owner
    Thanks for the advice.
    I am not sure if I am to late for advice, but my service advisor explained to me that if I were to loose my key in the parking lot a dishonest person could not just hold the key in air and walk around pushing the button until he/she can see lights flash and just drive off in a wonderful car. Therefore it is designed for security. Know if that is not true, it sure sounds good to me/ ;)
    Please log on to www. tirerack.com and check the Bridgestone Turanza tires I have been a Michelin use for over 30 years and my switch to Bridgestones has been a no brainer. Please check the reviews and ratings of all tires listed on their web site. Good luck for the NEW YEAR.
  • jmjinnjjmjinnj Member Posts: 15
    I took delivery of this nice looking car about a montha go. While I was driving back home , I could not see how fast I was going because I had no instrument cluster light. I tried to adjust, but to no avail. Next I noticed headlamp staying on during bright daylight outside. It stayed on inspite putting it on Manual. Next thing I noticed while driving at 50-60 miles/Hr, my car was shaking . So I took it to dealer. During my first visit they replaced instrument cluster, balanced my wheels.

While bringing back, I felt violent shaking of car on the road I travel a lot. So I knew something was wrong. There were two new problems. My passenger side mirror would not return to normal position after changing from R to D. And I lost Ambient lights at night. Second time dealer changed all 4 tires & replaced Ambient light panel. My car vibration problem was solved.I brought car home & went on Christmas vacation for couple of days.

When I came back & took car out of garage, instrument cluster illuminated ABS & ESP Malfunction. Car was hardly drivable. Since then car is with the service. They are waiting for a part.

Did I get a lemon car? I have driven it for about 100 miles in month and half. Rest of the miles were for bringing back and forth from a dealer service.

What is my recourse?
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    Did I get a lemon car?

This is every luxury car buyer's nightmare: plunk down big bucks for a car only to find out it is more unreliable than a cheap used car.

It sure sounds like you have a "lemon" as non-lawyers use that term. Whether you have a "lemon" as a legal matter is another question. Every state has its own version of an auto "lemon law", but the definition differs from state to state. You can check your state's law at lemonlawamerica.

For example, Maryland's law says a lemon is when:

"The same nonconformity, defect, or condition has been subject to repair 4 or more times by the manufacturer or factory branch, or its agents or authorized dealers, within the warranty period but such nonconformity, defect, or condition continues to exist;

The vehicle is out of service by reason of repair of 1 or more nonconformities, defects, or conditions for a cumulative total of 30 or more days during the warranty period; or

A nonconformity, defect, or condition resulting in failure of the braking or steering system has been subject to the same repair at least once within the warranty period, and the manufacturer has been notified and given the opportunity to cure the defect, and the repair does not bring the vehicle into compliance with the motor vehicle safety inspection laws of the State."

By that definition, sounds like your car may not qualify yet, but you are well on your way!

Good luck, and keep posting on this forum what happens to you. I want to believe that Mercedes' well-publicized reliability problems are improving (as they are trying to convince everyone), but stories like yours don't give me much comfort.
    We have a friend who has an E320 with less than 15,000 miles and has had nothing but problems. New engine mounts at less than 2000 miles, new rocker and lifts at less than 10,000 and now the engine noise is back. We have a 2003 C240 with 67,000 miles and even though the dealers service department is good, we can't say much about the reliability of our car. With less than 5,000 miles we were stuck over 600 miles from home with a a car that would not stay running. The dealer in that town put in a whole new fuel system. The rear light facility replaced twice. New sway bar bushings. A new electric door lock($388.00) New rockers. cam and lifters. Now a problem with the Purge valve. We had a Honda Accord before this C class with 191,000 miles and not one problem. Can you say Lexus?
  • jmjinnjjmjinnj Member Posts: 15
    What is the definition of how many days the car is out for service? Does it include pickup & dropoff days? Because NJ has 20 days requirement acc. to website above.
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    What is the definition of how many days the car is out for service? Does it include pickup & dropoff days?

First, the usual disclaimer: you should consult a qualified attorney of your choosing to receive legal advice.

Seems to me that the definition "out of service by reason of repair for one or more nonconformities for a cumulative total of 20 or more calendar days since the original delivery of the motor vehicle and a nonconformity continues to exist" would mean that the time period includes any time that the dealer has possession of the car for the purpose of effecting repairs. If they pick up your car on Monday, fix it on Tuesday, but don't return it to you until Wednesday, you may well have had the car out of service for 3 days, even if they only actually worked on it 1 day.

But again, please consult qualified NJ counsel to review your rights and options.
  • sugarmay911sugarmay911 Member Posts: 1
    I just brought a classic 85 mer benz 190e. From day one I've been having problems, one after the other. Now the problem I have is the coolant goes on and off. It usually goes off when i drive or speed up. I dont understand why it comes on when i have antifreeze in the car. Please Help me. This is driving me crazy. :cry:
    Could just be a defective "float level switch" in the coolant overflow tank. This model (190E) is not typically a great car, so if you can gracefully bail out into another type of car, you might wish to consider that---if this car continues to misbehave.
  • gap2006gap2006 Member Posts: 20
    I can't argue the beauty and ride of my 2003 E500. However, you appear to have been lucky, having purchased your cars prior to the 2003 Nav disaster in the E class. Even after replacing my car with a late year 2003 model with a NAV system, it continued to have electrical and software problems. As I was returning it (thank God) at lease-end last week, loud static started, the radio shut itself off as did the heated steering wheel. This has happened many times before. It's only a matter of time before it goes up in smoke. Until they replace the console on the E class with the new one coming out on the 2007 S Class (assuming all the problems have been fixed) I would not touch another E class or any other MB right now. It's unfortunate because, as you say, all the other high quality cars like Lexus have no personality.
  • loren05loren05 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 98 E430 sport 2 wks ago. I just noticed that I can move the shifter from "P" to R-N or D without the key in the ignition or while it is running. I can move the shifter without stepping on the brake. The manual says this should not happen and states " shifter can only be moved from P with key in ignition & brake pedal depresed. This is a safty feature in all autos to prevent children from accidently placing the car in grear with no one in the driver seat... any suggestions.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    Did you have to car checked out before you bought it?

Did you ask these questions of a reputable service tech?
  • mbsucksmbsucks Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with the brake pads. How are you getting them to pay for this? My car has 23,000 miles on it and I have never had to replace pads on any car I have owned. by the way did you have any brake failures yet?