Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Amanti 2006 and earlier

Comments

• shadow99688shadow99688 Member Posts: 209
    I found one for $11k then the price dropped to $7k, problem is it should have had a sun roof , found out the roof and doors had been replaced, dealer thought that they had dropped the upper lvl of a car hauler on it and crushed the roof.
    decided to pass, have no idea what all is knocked out of shape from something like that, spent the extra money and bought one that was new with no damage/repairs.
    any luck with your lights?
  • vervekaverveka Member Posts: 9
    The tennis-ball-in-a-tube noise that many of us are familiar with just isn't going away for me. This is my third visit to the dealer and the second pair of struts. I told them that it is not the struts and offered a solution "without telling them how to do their job" because I know they wouldn't like that. After my explanation, I handed him a pile of posts from this discussion and from kiaforums.com where the repair is explained. They claim that it is not an authorized repair because it is not in the computer and that they have searched everywhere. I have been to 2 dealers and received the same treatment. Why doesn't the dealer have this in their computer? When I called Kia, they said they could not find a TSB for this either. I like the car. I'd like it more if the noise would go away. Dealership experience is consistently awful. Car has been in the shop for 5 days. Wrong parts came in. Suspension guy won't be back in until Monday, etc.,etc. How did you others get this done?
  • billh6billh6 Member Posts: 123
    From what I remember that my dealer said to me, there wasn't an official TSB, per se, but something about should a customer complain about the noise, install larger bearings. I think this problem occurred only with a certain lot number of vehicles. My service rep said out of all the Amantis they sold only myself and 2 others have had the noise problem. Mine was fixed with the larger bearings. I would write to the email below and explain your problem and those of us on this forum who have had the issue fixed. Bill
    [email protected]
  • schoolteache1schoolteache1 Member Posts: 7
    I have an 04 Amanti with 10,203 miles on it. Up to now this has been a great car. When my airbag light came on I took it back to Avondale Kia. They claimed the battery cables were loose and tightened ,two weeks later same problem, same solution. Now the air bag light is on and the doors do not lock. When I took it in they found a short on the door airbag. They did not have the part and if I would leave the car overnight they would next day the needed part. I couldn't leave my car as they have no loaner or rental program. They said they would order the part an it should be in in three days. Two weeks later I am still waiting and they have stopped returning my calls. If you want to buy a Kia in Phoenix AVOID AVONDALE KIA.
    Signed
    Schoolteacher
    Oops.. I said bearings but I meant to say bushings.
    Thanks for your posting. It's a shame that there are dealers like Avondale. I hope you get your problem fixed elsewhere and again become one of us happy Amanti owners. Keep us posted. :P
  • stockchaserstockchaser Member Posts: 56
    Sorry to hear about your experiences at Avondale Kia. I bought from Peoria Kia. I recently had my Amanti in for some work that was going to take several days, according to them. They offered me a rental at no charge. I went to the rental-lot and they were going to put me in a little car about the size of a large suitcase and I said no. Called my dealer and explained I'd have to have a car comparable in size to the Amanti. I got a Buick LaCrosse at no charge for several days.
    Stacey,
    How did you get your airbag light fixed. What did the dealer do? My 04 has been to the dealer (Avondale KIA ) 3 times-the last time they kept the car for four days and then the light came on the evening we got it back. Very Frustrating. I am going to try Peoria Kia next week and see if they are better mechanics. So I am interested in your dealer's solution.
    Thank you
    Schoolteacher
    airbag light can come on from moisture contamination in the electrical contacts of the airbag system or if you bang a wrench on the impact sensor.
    Thanks for the response. I doubt it is moisture as it hasn't rained here in several weeks. I also did not bang the sensor.Since this has been "unrepaired" three times and the airbag light is still on we are considering using the "Arizona Lemon Law". My wife sent an email to Richard Sabin Consumer Affairs at Kia America--and he called back. Said he was referring our problem to the Arizona Manager. This is much more then we ever got from Avondale Kia. Will keep forum advised on outcome
  • mom2bennettmom2bennett Member Posts: 8
    I recently purchased a 2005 Amanti with 21000 miles. I have noticed a 'knock' when I turn either left or right. It doesn't seem to matter how sharply I am turning as it happened on a very curvy road as well as when I was making a u-turn. It only happens once per turn of the wheel. I am wondering if this is something that has been discussed before and if so, can someone tell me where the beginning is? If not, has anyone heard of this? Thanks so much!
    the knock can be from loose/worn bushings on the sway bar or on other front suspension parts.
    the knock is from when the sway bar/other suspension parts shift from one end to the other in the bushings.
    it doesn't have to rain to get moisture, set a glass of ice water out and watch the water build up on the outside of the glass.
    I have seen airbag sensor triggered by hitting a 4x4 on the road at 70mph actually dented the rim and he got a flat from it.
    I took our Amanti to Peoria KIA (Peoria, AZ) and were treated so nicly. Met another lady who bought her Kia at Avondale KIA but could get no satisfaction there either. To solve my air bag light problem Peoria KIA replaced the "clockspring" (a contact part in the steering column). No more air bag light. I also had a noise in the front right when turning a corner. They found a lower cross member had loose cradle bolts and dirty mounting caps. Took it apart, cleaned it and reassembled---No More Noise. When talking to other customers I found the Service Advisors had all been there for several years. This shows this company has good customer and relations. As of today we once again enjoy our Amanti and Peoria KIA.
  • scarpiascarpia Member Posts: 4
    This message is for anyone who cares to weigh in. We're really considering purchasing a Kia Amanti but I'm somewhat distressed over the maintenance schedule that edmunds.com posted. It seems as though the recommended maintenance requires one to visit a dealership almost every thousand miles for things above and beyond oil changes.

Right now we're driving a 2000 Buick Century. We got it after I crashed our 2000 Regal in an ice storm. The thing that I really like about both of our Buicks is that I just need to go into a Jiffy Lube every 5,000 or 6,000 miles, get the oil changed and get an occasional air filter. I've never had a moment of trouble with either car.

Before I started driving Buicks I had a '94 Mazda 626, a '89 Hyundai Excel and my first car, a '84 Renault Alliance (I've hated the French ever since I got the Renault!!) I had lots of problems with all of these cars. I probably would have been able to put more miles on these previous cars had I been more diligent about doing the recommended service. But I'm lazy and I just don't want to have to be a nursemaid to a car.

From what I could tell, the maintanence schedule on Kia's and Hyundai's is much more demanding then the recommendations for Chevy's (Impala), Buick's, Toyota's, Nissan's and Honda's. Can I treat a Kia Amanti as carelessly as I've treated my Buicks or will I have big problems if I don't take the car in every 1000 to 1500 miles to inspect the drive axcels, lubricate the hinges, locks and latches, inspect the brake lines, hoses, fluid, drive belts, steering linkage etc...........
  • topgeartopgear Member Posts: 111
    The Amanti is no different from other cars and it does not require any unusual maintenance.
    A 2000 Buick Regal does not have many of the features that a newer, loaded car -such as the Amanti, would have so the potential of things to go wrong will be increased. However, having said that, our Amanti served us well for a very long time and although we don't own it anymore, it was one of the best cars we've ever owned.
    You should be able to just get your oil/air filter changed when needed locally, since this is a common engine shared by a couple of different Korean car models.

I have never had my car checked as frequently as you (or Edmund's) suggest, for common maintenance.

By the way, Consumer Reports (much to my shock) "Recommends" the Amanti in it's special auto magazine of new cars to buy.

The only disappointments we've had with the Amanti were it's poor gas mileage and its seemingly soft side sheet metal that dented easily.
    Otherwise it is a solid, robust automobile.

Good luck with your decision!

-P
  • scarpiascarpia Member Posts: 4
    Thanks. The poor gas mileage is a worry (my family puts on alot of miles on the car and with gas prices...ugh!! :cry: ) We couldn't believe the price we were quoted but we still won't be in the market for another year or two and the Buick seems to be doing just great. By the time we're ready to buy the new 2007 model should not only be available but perhaps some former rentals will be looking for retirement. Hopefully the new engine used in the 2007 model will get better gas mileage. Thanks again.
    I average 24.6mpg. I have had up to 37mpg highway(had a truck in front of me and another behind me)
    Highway is usually around 27mpg on premium and city has been as low as 13mpg in a construction area, not too bad on gas with the weight of the car.
    Most of my driving is highway so don't look at city driving much.
    My old 1992 ford tempo with a 2.3 4 cylinder engine never got better than 19mpg on the highway.
  • magmaxmagmax Member Posts: 88
    I have a 2005 Amanti that's loaded with everything (the only way they were sold in Canada until the 06 model year) and it has the normal servicing intervals. Because I get free oil changes for as long as I own the car I get those done every 5000 km and then have the service done every 10,000 km. So far it hasn't needed any repairs but the creak in the front left suspension is beginning to annoy me somewhat, even though I can't be bothered bringing it back to the dealer just for that. I'll wait until the next service is due. I'd say that this car requires minimal service but like any complex machine it does need to be maintained properly if you expect it to continue to perform well, and last well too. But coming in every 1000 miles sure isn't part of the recommended schedule. Heck, even my Mercedes 250SE back in 1968 managed 3000 miles between services.

MagMax
    Where is the DVD navigation? No car in this class, in the U.S. market, should be without it -or at least offered as an option!!
    What is up with Korean auto-makers!?!
    After having and using the navigation on my Avalon & Solara conv., I will not live without it.
    While I'm at it, Bluetooth would be nice, too!
    As a previous Amanti owner, I would seriously consider a 2007 Amanti to replace the Avalon, but not without these features.
    Wake up Kia!
    (I have already said this stuff in previous posts, sorry. But I am very passionate about these things!)

-Pete
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Come talk about the 07 Amanti here - what's coming? What would you like to see?
  • eskaneskan Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Kia Amanti has been a pleasureable experience. After 14,000 Km I am dissapointed in the high City Gas consumption, which is 46% lower than the brochures advertised figures.
    I expected a normal 15 to 20% variation, owing to driving habits. I am 73 years young, and drive accordingly.
    I believe that Kia is guilty of false advertising in regards to advertised gas consumption. How many owners would be interested in a class action lawsuit in regards to this matter?
    That is crazy. My '04 averages between 17-19 in the city, unlead, not premium. Count me out.
    I am still fighting the air bag light. The dealer has changed both front door sending units- light still comes on. Today their theory is the electronic fuel shutoff is the problem. If I don't press the key fob before starting the car the fuel pump will not operate. The dealer tells me this is causing the air bag light to come on. I removed the special fuse and put the standard one in. One day -no problem. I do not see how one could effect the other. As we are thinking about getting rid of this car I went to KBB to look at tradein value. I was appalled to see my 2004 with 11,000 miles was only worth $12,925. Why is the trade in so low?
    I get from 27 to 37mpg on the highway (got 37mpg when I was behind a sea/land truck and had another one behind me, talk about drafting) on a normal highway trip I get 27mpg on premium and I get from 13 to 21mpg in town depending on how much road construction is going on and how many red lights I hit, the car doesn't sip gas at idle and uses alot when getting moving from a stop, normal for a car that weighs over 4,000lbs.
    Only problem I have is damn insurance company decided to raise my insurance from $80 per month to $110 per month, they claim it is just a regular rate increase, they are putting the cost of all the hurricane damage on everyone else.
    Sorry to hear about your airbag problems. Sounds like an isolated thing. I've not heard of that on this blog. I purchased my car not for trade-in value but to pay it off, have a nice looking, smooth riding and dependable transportation, and keeping it for years because of the warranty. Like many here, I've not had anything to complain about, unlike my previous vehicle, Lexus. Good and bad in people and vehicles. :sick: Best to you.
  • explorerxlexplorerxl Member Posts: 4
    What state are you located in? I am interested in buying a 2004 Amanti. What color is yours and does it have leather seats? How long have you had the air bag light problem?
    I live in Arizona. My Amanti is silver with leather. My wife is at the dealers today for her 7th trip for an airbag light.We have switched dealers as we got no satisfaction from the purchasing dealer (AVONDALE KIA). This one is trying, but they appear to have no idea what is causing the problem.We are looking into the Arizona Lemon Law and suing the dealer for either a new car or financial restitution.
  • hbrown2hbrown2 Member Posts: 3
    My 2005 Amanti has the EXACT same problem. Three times to the dealer & they can't reproduce it or diagnose. But it HAS been reported to KIA by The Office of Defects Notification of NHTSA ( National Highway Traffic Safety Administration), so Kia knows they have a problem. The only way we'll get this fixed is to file a complaint with NHTSA. It's easy. Go to www.nhtsa.dot.gov,then under quick links select "file a complaint",then follow the links. It takes all of 5 minutes to enter a complaint and the hardest question is filling in your VIN number. The NHTSA are the folks who can force a TSB (technical service bulletin) or a recall. So the more Amanti owners who file complaints, the more likely it is Kia will have to come up with a fix.
    My 2005 Amanti has the EXACT same problem. Three times to the dealer & they can't reproduce it or diagnose. But it HAS been reported to KIA by The Office of Defects Notification of NHTSA ( National Highway Traffic Safety Administration), so Kia knows they have a problem. The only way we'll get this fixed is to file a complaint with NHTSA. It's easy. Go to www.nhtsa.dot.gov,then under quick links select "file a complaint",then follow the links. It takes all of 5 minutes to enter a complaint and the hardest question is filling in your VIN number. The NHTSA are the folks who can force a TSB (technical service bulletin) or a recall. So the more Amanti owners who file complaints, the more likely it is Kia will have to come up with a fix.
    I'm not sure how I got in this. I've not experienced this. I think I had said maybe they got a hold of bad fuel.
    have 4k miles on my Khumo tires that came on my Amanti and had a rear tire blow out through the sidewall, had roadside change the tire within 30 minuets, now the bad part the tire shop that does warranty says that they can't determine why the tire blew and is reluctant to replace the tire, even if they do they say it will take at least 2 weeks to get the right size tire (this is a Sears tire shop)
  • cameronlcameronl Member Posts: 1
    I have a beautiful pearl colored Amanti with leather, tinted windows, 42000 miles. I bought it for my 17 year old daughter. She says it's an old people's car and so I'm considering selling. I think she needs a heavier car and I know she loves all the goodies, but I am thinking about her request for something a bit smaller. I live in Ohio if you're interested.
  • gatnusgatnus Member Posts: 4
    I left my Kia Amanti outside for 3 hours and when I came back the battery had to be jumped. What would cause the battery to drain...I do not think I left the lights on....I have 28,000 miles and never had this problem before. Should I take it in to the dealer tomorrow even if it starts ok..please advice.
    Hi Cameronl, I have the same car in a 2005 version and agree with your daughter that it's got an image more suited to an older person. We probably value comfort and cushiness and reliability and safety more than a young person does. But I doubt you'll find a heavier car than the Amanti. It weighs in at two tons, well above most competitors. You might suggest she try an Optima if you want to stay with Kia.

MagMax
    Hi gatnus, I'd take it in for a quick check to see whether there's a short somewhere in the electrics. But it sounds more like one of the dome lights was left on, or the trunk was left open just enough to keep the light on. I guess 3 hours of that wouldn't damage a battery in good condition though. Yeah, I'd have them do a diagnostic check to see if there's a current drain somewhere.

MagMax
  • papatom111papatom111 Member Posts: 2
    sign me up,, I am getting 11.5 mpg.. mostly city driving..
    2004 amanti,, 18000 miles.. nice car.. milage sucks..
  • papatom111papatom111 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 amanti, leather, 18000 miles, cleveland,ohio
    still interested/ willing to sell... pearl color, excellent cndition.. visors, flaps, remote start..
    This may sound stupid, but batteries do not last forever. After 28,000 mile it probably is just a worn battery. Summer weather stresses them and I bet that's what your problem is.
    Let us know how you resolve this.
    Good luck!
    Tomorrow my 05 Amanti goes in to have the groans, creaks and clonks removed from the left front suspension/steering mechanisms. If I turn the wheel with the brakes applied there's a great creaking from under the dashboard and if I turn rapidly from one lock to another, as when I drive into a parking garage, the groan's accompanied by a nasty clonk. Anyway, the dealer knows about the problem, or so they say, and have ordered new parts to be installed tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. If this doesn't work, I guess it's time to have a look at the 07 models in a couple of months.

MagMax
  • stockchaserstockchaser Member Posts: 56
    Good luck with your repairs. On Monday, I will bring my '04 Amanti in for repairs too. I am going to rent a car and told the dealer I didn't want my Amanti back until it was fixed! I still have the clunking in the front end, and it's getting worse. Also, while driving, my speedometer will fall to zero, and when that happens, the odometer and trip meter freeze temporarily. The trip meter on the computer still advances, though, so I can tell how many miles don't show on the odometer. Yesterday, for the first time, the speedometer froze at 40mph...a strange feeling went over me as I turned a corner at "40mph"! Additionally, while pulling up to a red light recently, the engine almost died, and I had to put the car in neutral and give it gas to keep from stalling. There are numerous little annoyances with my car that I won't even bother the dealer with right now, like the side mirrors that get stuck in the down position after backing up; the air conditioning that drops out of "auto" without warning, and the trunk that sometimes won't stay shut. But those are for another time if I even keep this car.
    Magmax: I see that the consumer rating for our 2004 Amanti was 9.4; then 2005 consumers rated it 9.3. Now owners of 2006 rate it 8.5. I wonder why that is? Do you think the quality of the vehicle changed or owners are more picky, demanding more? I have noticed that Ford and Chrysler owner ratings are lower, just as a comparison. I've not experienced the problems I'm reading lately, so maybe they quality went down instead of up. You'd think it would go up from 2004, first year they built the car.
    I took my 05 Amanti into the dealer on Thursday morning to have the front suspension noise dealt with and got it back 4 hours later. They told me they'd replaced a tie rod and some bushings and had tightened every bolt they could find. Apparently there were a few bolts that had about a turn of play in them before they were tightened. Of course I was a little apprehensive that the noises would come back as soon as I got under way but I am delighted to confirm that the car is silent again, with no creaks, groans, or clonks from the front suspension. I've driven it extensively over all sorts of road surfaces and the noises are definitely gone. I'm hoping they don't come back after more time passes.

MagMax
    I hadn't notice the lower numbers and I really don't know why they would have decreased. I suspect that the fuel economy issue has become more important as the price of gas has risen during the past year. Other than that, I can't see any real reason for a lower rating. If anything, the build quality should be the same or better as the same car is built over several years without significant changes. Possibly the lack of a navigation system has affected the ratings although that would be the last thing I'd want in my car since I don't do trans-continental driving any more. And, with the arrival of newer engines with more power and better fuel economy in cars such as the Hyundai Sonata, perhaps the Amanti's engine is seen as being somewhat outclassed in 2006 when it wasn't so bad two years earlier. I suspect that the 2007 revisions are going to make the Amanti a pretty attractive package since they'll come with a new engine, even more interior upgrades, and arguably a better looking grille, at least from some people's point of view. And I believe the car's weight will come down by several hundred pounds and the suspension is going to be tightened up a bit in the front to cut down on the float over road undulations. I'm looking forward to driving one as soon as it shows up at the dealers.

MagMax
  • gatnusgatnus Member Posts: 4
    What do the ratings 9.4, 9.3, and 8.5 pertain to. I am not familiar with these. Can you explain them to me?

Thanks
    It's part of Edmunds.com. You search for your year vehicle and it says if you have that vehicle they want you to rate it. It might be below this window to click on your year Amanti and give them your opinion. Actually it's not a big thing to me. I was just curious. I think magmax it right in his overview above.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There is an orange "Rate It" link up there with the ratings. You'll get to a window where you can choose your model year, etc., and then go on to write the review. Or you can use the Consumer Rating link on the left of the number to read the reviews.

I wouldn't read too much into the current number - only 11 people have rated it so far. The 2004 has 145 reviews and the 2005 has 112.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    That is a big difference in reviews. That would do it. Thanks, Pat.