Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Amanti 2006 and earlier

Comments

• umeweallumeweall Member Posts: 45
    Received. I am sending document.
  • vanpjvanpj Member Posts: 14
    Sorry about that. E-mail is - jvanpaemel@yahoo.com

Thanks.
  • mccronmccron Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem up here in Canada. Would someone send me the same info and any other info?
    Thanks
    jmccron@sympatico.ca
    It is on the way!
    Document sent
  • gandpz2gandpz2 Member Posts: 5
    are you still having this problem with your car? My car has drained the battery serveral times. each time it shorts out the trip computer. Twice Kia said you repaired and twice thy replaced the trip computer. since the first time the following have also shorted out and had to be replaced: the mirrors, air bag sensor, radio, seat controls, and the heaters for the seats.
    Is anyone else having this kind of problem? :lemon:
  • bchbumbchbum Member Posts: 3
    My wife bought her '06 Amanti new. Her three previous rides were a Lexus ES 300, Cadillac, and Lincoln LS. The Amanti has a much smoother and quieter ride than either the caddy or the lincoln. We have had some minor problems with it, Seat heater, Windshield wiper motor, but the dealership fixed them, no problem. Last week I drove the car and the transmition was clunking when I'd put it in Drive. The wife took it to the dealership to have them check it out, They said they couldn't find a problem. Two days later, the tranny blew. Leaving my wife stranded along side a rural country road until a wrecker could arrive. I was just wondering if anyone else has had tranny problems with this model. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Bchbum
    are you still having this problem with your car?
    The airbags controls are in the seats. when my light come on and would not go out Kia replaced my frount seat, with out telling me. I just picked up the car and had new seats.
    The airbags, seat, mirror and trip computer control are all conected some how.
    My car has drained the battery serveral times. each time it shorts out the trip computer. Three times Kia said they repaired and three times they replaced the trip computer. since the first time the following have also shorted out and had to be replaced: the mirrors x2, air bag sensor, radio, seat controls, and the heaters for the seats.
    The tech at Kia told me she know the car has a short somewhere but Warranty did not cover fixing a short only replacing the parts that are burnt out.
    Good luch getting your car fixed :lemon:
  • jamie5455jamie5455 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2005 Amanti - I had only one problem since buying it - unexpected lurches into traffic or not moving at all when I tried to pull out from a stop. After having it towed twice (60 mi to nearest dealer) they finally fixed it. It's funny that you mention the clunking noise - I've been hearing it clunk when I put it into drive or into park - I sure hope my tranny doesn't go. Kia will fix that under warranty won't they???
    I agree, the Amanti is a very smooth operating car, in the drive, and ride. I previously had a Lincoln Town Car, and currently still have a Buck Park Avenue, with the Amanti is modeled after, in the interior.

I have had no problems with the transmission, and no clunking, however I have a 2005 model.

I will say this, which I would say for any vehicle, get the mechanical warranty, that is offered post KIA warranty (at least it is offered at my dealership), when your normal warranty expires. There are several different levels of coverage available and you need to read them carefully. The car has a lot of electronics in it, which if fails, could be expensive. Not all the plans cover all of the electronics. Yes, they do cost a little bit, but if you plan on keeping the car, could really pay off. Sorry, no I had no stock in an auto insurance company, just my budget! :)
    The clunking and lurching were the first signs of transmition trouble for us, and yes, Kia is fixing the tranny. They ordered a new transmition and it should be fixed in a few days. We have 60k miles on the car and I'm concerned about future problems after the warranty expires. thanks for the reply.
    Wow, thanks for the info, I didn't know Kia offered an extended warranty after the 100k that I now have. I will surely look into it as we plan on keeping the car for at least a few more years.
    Yes, as I previously said, my dealer offers the extended warranty also, which I plan to buy. I still must emphasize that you must look at the different levels (if yours is like mine, they are Bronze, Silver, Gold, Gold Plus, and Platinum, offered by Western General). Each level has its' own level of benefits. Needless to say, if you want to cover the most expensive of the potential repair items, you look at the higher level policies. You get what you pay for. Repairs are extremely expensive and will not get cheaper in the future. For my Park Avenue, the driver side, power window motor went out. The motor cost over $400, PLUS installation costs (they had to take the door apart). The KIA dealer said it would be about the same for the Amanti. Luckily, with the extended insurance on my Park Avenue, I did not pay for that.

It is simple, if you like the car, and plan on keeping it, strongly consider putting money into the extended insurance. You will sleep well at night.

The offered plan at my dealer is entitled:

The VIP Plan (Vehicle Increased Protection), offered by Western General. It is "NEW & PRE-OWNED Mechanical Breakdown Protection". They have an office number of: 800-242-9442.

Dealers in different states may work with different companies.
  • brbhanbrbhan Member Posts: 2
    Observations:
    Transmission fluid change is recommended at 30K. Problem is that letting out used fluid out of the tranny pan satisfies warranty requirements. Fact is that this procedure only lets out a fraction of the total 12 quarts of the stuff. Solution then, for DIY'ers is to change the fluid via the pan several times so that, eventually, the 12qts become diluted - that is, clean.R&R of total 12 qts requires a special machine only available at dealers.

I changed my own fluid on the 04. Surprise. Surprise. The magnetic plug on the pan was loaded with metal filings. My conclusion is: timely fluid change is critical - whether at dealership or at home; latter requiring multiple changes as mentioned.

At the dealership, you must request a 'total' R&R and ensure the guys actually do it!!
  • ppborcebppborceb Member Posts: 61
    Hi All:
    Well, I'm back here because my problem has recurred.
    I brought it to the dealer where it was fixed(July 2007) because it has been happening intermittently since the fix and it happened last Sunday and I came very close to getting rear-ended! Then, again on Monday as I was driving down to the dealer to report what happened on Sunday!
    They kept it for two days and of course nothing happened when they took it out for test rides and nothing showed up for code errors.
    I guess I'll just continue keeping a log and hopefully something will come down from above that identifies a permenent fix.
    I'm just courious if other people have had a fix and it recurred or if they have had the fix and everything is now OK.
    I would appreciate any input that I could get so I can go back to the dealer with any new information.
    It's getting to be a very touchy subject when I go down for service.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    PPB
    Good Morning -
    I think you will find that there is no "fix" for the "Lag/Lurch" problem. I had my '06 Amanti in to the dealership in Davenport IA where it was purchased on several occasions but to no avail. They re-programmed the computer and assured me it was fixed. It wasn't. After moving to TN I took it to the Kia dealer in Cookeville. They re-programmed the computer again and said it was "fixed". Again, it wasn't.

After it lunged forward while my wife was about to get in the passenger side I traded it in the next day on a Honda CR-V. My '06 Amanti was 18 months old with less than 17,000 miles on it and it never got fixed. We hired a "Lemon Law" attorney and tried to get the car replaced. Kia stonewalled on this problem from the beginning and to this day they will not acknowledge there is a problem.

My advice to you - "Get rid of the darn thing as soon as you can." From the original purchase price of the vehicle until we traded it in we took a $16,000 hit. I will never buy another Kia as long as I live.
  • rfrechetterfrechette Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my 2006 Amanti 2 weeks ago and I've had the same problem with it "not moving at all" when I pull out from a stop. I've brought it back to the dealership 2 times. They said they could not reproduce the problem. How did they fix it for you? I'd like to let them know and maybe get them to solve my problem.

Thanks.
    Back in 2007 I had numerous issues with the acceleration problem on my 2005 Amanti. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong and no code ever came up for them to diagnose. Finally, in Feb 2007 the car just died while driving and the check engine light came on. Car had to be towed (free of charge) 60 miles away to the dealership. They cleaned off a grease buildup from the electrical connection ot the Accelerator position Sensor (APS circuit) I then had to get someone to drive me 60 miles to pick up the car. All seemed ok until 3/08 when the car died again - code read was P2127. Again had the car towed 60 miles. The dealership replaced the the Accelerator Position Sensor and to this day (3/09) I have had no further problems (knock on wood) Hope this helps :) I tried to go to the link that I came across in my research, that talked about this known problem. It is no longer valid. If I can get your email address I can scan the document I printed out back in 2007 and email it to you :)
    He is right, KIA does not acknowledge the problem exists. I went through the cleaning of grease off cables--did nothing. The final item was the reprogramming of the computer. This worked for about one year. May car has within the past seven months had two instances of aggravated surging. Once coming into my garage, pressing the brake to stop, the vehicle engine surged forward. I had to turn the ignition off quickly, or I would have hit the water heater. The second time, in line at Starbucks, I touched the brake to stop, as a car was turning into line, in front of me. The car surged forward, almost ramming the other vehicle. I had to turn the ignition off again, as from the previous experience, I knew the brake was useless.
    The KIA stand has been consistent, on all issues like this, regarding acceleration problems, that if they cannot reproduce it in the shop, it does not exist. They did not give a flip that you, or someone else might be placed in danger. They want to sell the 'perfect' car, and will not admit to any issues with their vehicle. In this manner, nothing ever shows up in official records that KIA has a problem with the Amanti. The user complaint blogs, like this one, are apparently irrelevant to KIA. It would only become an issue to KIA if Amanti users were to flood the federal complaint sites with safety problems with KIA vehicles, such as NHTSA (federal site that handles safety related complaints on vehicles). This site is located at:
    link title . If you have any complaint, this is where you need to make it official and tell others to do the same. The only other item that might get their attention is a consumer class action lawsuit, on behalf of all the owners that are literally 'scared silly' of their vehicle, and what it might do to them. KIA does not understand what they are doing to their vehicle, and their image. I currently love my vehicle, when it is acting right. If it were to die, and could not get repaired, would I trust my money in another KIA vehicle, with the existing KIA 'attitude' on ignoring important safety problems--hell no.
  • rfrechetterfrechette Member Posts: 2
    Hi Jamie,
    I would greatly appreciate the document that you are talking about. My email address is rfrechette7@comcast.net

Thanks so much.
  • csandoval2csandoval2 Member Posts: 8
    THEY HAVE NOT FIXED IT!! FOR SOME REASON IT ONLY HAPPENS WITH PREMIUM GAS AND/ OR IN THE SUMMER.. KIA JUST CALLED ME LAST WEEK & OFFERED TO GIVE ME $5000 TOWARD A NEW 09 KIA.. I HAVENT GOT BACK TO THEM YET. THEY ARE SUCH RIP OFF'S.. I AM VERY INTERESTED IN CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!!
  • cj77cj77 Member Posts: 2
    This problem just started today. When I turn off the windshield wipers, the arms stop in the middle of the windshield. I did not have any issues durning the winter. I live in Michigan. I am mechanically inclined, I hope this is a easy fix. :(
  • cj77cj77 Member Posts: 2
    My 2006 Amanti has 47,000 miles. When should I consider having the timing belt chaged? Dealer says 30,000 miles. I have the V-6 motor and it runs great. :confuse:
    Well sir, I figured something like that was going on. I can answer the question from my standpoint, yes, I have had that braking issue, and yes, the issue is still happening. I had filed a complaint with the NHTSB, and I compiled some documentation. KIA's response, service department wise, is that they 'cannot recreate the problem'. The problem being that the issue happens once and awhile, and cannot be duplicated in the shop. I believe, as I have stated from the beginning, that there is a major safety hazard in the KIA Amanti, which can make it a safety hazard on the road. My car was 'reprogrammed' which appeared to take care of the surging. However, the inability to brake, with the car surging, has happened twice, within the past seven months. I have stated on-line what those experiences were. When they happened, both were dangerous. Luckily for me, I am still relatively 'young', so quick reflexes in turning the engine off stopped a major problem. For an older person, not being familiar with the issue, I believe that their would be a major issue. As far as that goes, a young party, never having experiencing the issue before, they could have a problem also. Luckily for me, when the non-braking and surging issue happened at first on an open street, with nothing in the way. I quickly found out that pressing the brakes was useless, as the car was still moving forward. I cut the ignition out. When it happens, their is an initial state of panic, as you realize that your brakes will NOT stop the car. In my case their was an audio part that was frightning as the engine had a high revving noise. I will forward you something that I put together. You will also notice that I have been vocal, AGAINST the KIA, on-line. The only reason that I have mine is that I am stuck with it. Being retired, I cannot easily change vehicles, or it would have been gone long ago.
    The Amanti and its' braking/surging issue has really bothered me over the years. Can you imagine what would happen if an Amanti was approaching a crosswalk, with children walking from their school, and had the braking/surge problem. Before the driver could do anything, they would potentially be in the crosswalk, running over children. When I drive, I drive with the thought in the back of my mind of past issues. I know that if hit my brake and it does not respond, kill the engine, don't stop and think about it. I essentially drive in a 'state of alert', in the back of my mind. While many Amanti owners may not have had the issue, they are lucky. I said long time ago that for any owner that has reported the problem to KIA, they should have removed the vehicle from the road. Is it worth the buck to risk the driver and the public life, on a potentially deadly problem? For KIA, the answer appears to be 'yes' to that question, in terms of profit and accountability (if they actually admitted there was a problem, it would affect the status/sales of the Amanti). Profit first, safety last.
  • loislloisl Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 Amanti and I have had the acceleration/stall problem since the very beginning. They have worked on it many times and have attributed the problem to numerous reasons, but the fact remains it is still an issue. I also drive knowing in the back of my mind that this can happen at anytime, anywhere, any crosswalk. I truly would like to know how many people have had this problem and if it should not be a recall for Kia. There is definitely a design problem and I feel that if enough people complain they may have to do something especially in this economic slump the bad publicity could really kill sales.
    If you search my user name you will find that I had the same problem w/my 2005. After having it in the kia shop a couple of times they finally fixed it. Can't remember right off what it was but the info is in my previous posts. Something to do w/replacing throttle body or sensor. Good Luck and make a stink! :mad:
  • wholbywholby Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 amanti 110k. a few months back I started getting a no connection error on my trip computer, quickly followed by the radio and interior lights going out, then the power steering, then the brakes and then the engine. The car won't re-start without a jump. First trip in: replaced the alternator. Second trip the battery cable connectors. Third Trip: the battery (bad cell). Fourth trip: new battery cables, new fuses. I didn't even make it up from the shop before the error message etc... left me stranded on the road. Anyone have a clue???
  • whm1952whm1952 Member Posts: 2
    The fix which worked for my 2006 Amanti is described in Kia's Technical Service Bulletin "ECM Reprogramming to Correct Poor Throttle Response in Cold Weather" (TS0920070114). Since reprogamming the ECM with the replacement software 18 months ago, there have been no re-occurrences of either the lurching or sluggishness previously experienced, through both summer and winter driving conditions.
  • freddy10freddy10 Member Posts: 4
    same problem where the car just loses power then has an acceleration of power where it is out of control, this is extremely dangerous and each time I bring it in Kia claims to fix it however it keeps on getting worse and more dangerous. If you are experiencing the same problem please contact the NHTSB
    target="_blank">http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ or call at 1-800-424-9153 so they can investigate and possibly get a recall so this dangerous problem can be fixed, from what I read this is a common problem that Kia is fully aware of even though they pretend that it is just happening to your car! Please read the other posts :confuse:
    If you are one of the many having problems with your Kia Amanti losing power while driving or losing power then accelerating out of control and kia seems not to be able to fix the problem :confuse: please call NHTSA
    (888) 327-4236 or file a complaint online at
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm so they can investigate and hopefully issue a recall
    My kia is a 2004 and after 5 times they still are not able to fix it. Kia is fully aware of this problem even though they pretend not to be. It is very dangerous and each time they return it to me as fixed the problem is worse! :sick:
  • billyrockfishbillyrockfish Member Posts: 3
    My reply to you and this forum is five years late!

We have an '05 Amanti bought new in February '06. We're on the island of Oahu (Honolulu County) in Hawaii and have used regular unleaded (10% methanol mixed in usually in Hawaii) and the car performs just fine, although I've notice fuel economy goes up 1mpg when using 89 octane mid-grade unleaded.

I posted on another part of this website a request from bloggers/forum fans about estimated cost (avg). of the timing belt service. Ours has 51K and we're going to give it to our daughter with the caveat all future maintenance is on 'her'. She gets the car with a brand new set of Firestone FR 680s; the factory Kumhos' being worn out.
  • husk37husk37 Member Posts: 1
    Has the lurch problem spoken of so much in the 3.5 engine, been fixed in the 2007 and later Amanti's with the 3.8 engine?

Is there any other problem that is rather chronic on the 2007 and newer Amanti's?

I love the plush ride of the Amanti, and will seriously consider it if there are no major problems. I consider the lurch problem major...and dangerous. Thanks.
  • hhmmartinhhmmartin Member Posts: 4
    My 2006 doesn't have the exact problem, but since I got it 08/2007 (as a program car), the past two winters, the battery has completely discharged if I don't start or drive it for 3 or 4 days in cold weather. Last winter, I attributed it to a weak battery, but it just happened again and I replaced the battery with a top of the line NAPA model in 10/2009. Even the radio pre-sets were wiped out. It took 6 hours to recharge this last time. The discharging doesn't happen in summer/warm months. The odometer has 27050 miles on it now. Given your problems, gandpz2, I'm considering getting rid of it before things go completely bonkers. And I'm fed up with having to keep a charger on it during winter months even when it's in the garage. I'm taking it in for service this week and will post results ASAP.
    Dealership unable to find anything wrong. Referred problem to Kia. Service Manager said he has not seen any TSB re: problem, but thought he had read somewhere about Amantis with the "Infinity Sound System" having such a problem. Essentially, my reading 'between the lines' indicates nothing is going to be done by Kia. This summer, I'll get rid of the car unless Kia contacts me before then with a solution. Nice car, but unreliable in cold Michigan weather unless a charger is kept on the battery every winter night.
    I bet you have a short in your system. The last time I had my car in for repair the service guy told me there is short in my buy Kia will not let him fix it, only the replace the parts that go out. So far I have replaced the trip computer 2 times(repaired it 3 times). the outside mirrors once. the seats once to fix the air bag problem. My trip computer and radio still blinks off and on. and one of my mirrors creaked 2 weeks after they replaced.
    My car is in the shop today because the air bag light came on again.
    I can usually tell when the trip computer is about to go out again. I will start getting small shocks everytime I touch the out side of the car. It is not the leather seats, our other kia has leather seats and it dose not shock me.
    I wish you luck on getting someone at Kia to fix your car right. :lemon:
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Disconnect the Vcc (the battery voltage supply line) to the Infinity Sound System's power amplifier - most likely in a separate location from the head unit. If this eliminates your problem, it's a final power amp collector to base, or collector to emitter leakage causing the draining of your battery. This can be a typical cold weather problem with mobile audio power amps. Because of the high-current required of some of the premium sound systems, the amp's supply is driven directly off the the battery, and is NOT switched.

Give it a try. If it works, you know where the problem is.
    The manual states that it should be replaced at 60,000 miles, not 30,000. Also, every other maker does not state that the timing belt should be inspected at 30,000 miles, only Kia!!!
    Just for what it's worth, check around.
    ppb
    Has anyone changed the coolant in their Amanti?
    I would like to do it myself and I'm looking for advice on how to do it the easiest way possible.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
  • 1969hutch1969hutch Member Posts: 1
    My wife drives an 06 Amanti. Thanksgiving night we hit a deer. Did not deploy the bags or do any frame damage and the car was still driveble. We took the car to a reputable bodyshop and by the time the parts arrived the car wouldn't run. They hauled it to a Kia dealer and evidently the timing belt had slipped a notch. The car has 47500 miles. Is this common? We like the car and hope it is dependable and tight after the incident. Has anybody else had an experience like this? I just want to know what to expect. Thanks. hutchshideaway@gpcom.net
    Thanks colloquor for the suggestions. They're worth trying, because Kia is giving me nothing! I'll pass on my findings.

Re: timing belt change (#1363) - my manual also states 30 K, but when I checked with the service manager (because that seemed awfully low to me), he said that was erroneous. It is 60 K.
    The Kia dealership checked the power amp and found its draw within normal specs, thus, that's apparently not causing my problem. Interestingly, the dealership has had no response from Kia to its January 7th inquiry as to what else may be causing it. That does not speak well for Hyundai/Kia attending to customer complaints. Right now, it looks like I'll be getting rid of this car in the near future, and not replacing it with a Hyundai or Kia.

I noted from previous entries that a number of owners have experienced acceleration problems very similar to what Toyota has been in the recent news for, and the feds are coming down hard on Toyota by looking into electrical problems that also seemed to cause the acceleration. Have any of you notified the feds (NTSA) about this problem in Kia? If not, maybe NOW is the time to do it, since Toyota is in the news.
  • danielb4danielb4 Member Posts: 1
    What caused the whistle?
    Did it get worse?

I just heard it on my 2006 amanti
    I contacted the NTSA back in 2006 about the lag/lurch problem of our Amanti and it seemed to fall on deaf ears. Kia stonewalled the problem and doesn't seem that anyone has been able to get them to even acknowledge the problem. I unloaded my Amanti (AT GREAT EXPENSE) in January 2007 and bought a Honda. Never again will we own any Hyundai/Kia product, I don't care what kind of rave reviews they get from "the experts". We always owned Toyota products prior to this and I wish I had never switched even with the problems they've been having. I truly wish Kia would get their "[non-permissible content removed] in the wringer" live Toyota did. :lemon: :lemon:
    edited April 2010
    I agree with you regarding KIA. They have never officially admitted there was a problem, and just turned customers away with a standard line 'we cannot duplicate the problem'. In doing so, they showed no interest in the safety of consumers purchasing their cars, OR the consumers that would be endangered, when the problem happened during driving. They wanted to insure primarily that the ratings for the Amanti remained pristine, as they were competing in the luxury car market. It was all about money, image, and market share. Customer satisfaction;safety were not factors. No I will never buy another KIA product, and would not recommend it. I recently heard the dealer tell a customer that if they did not get their service work done at the dealership, it was totally on them to prove that service had been kept up, if a warranty issue arose. The service party stated that KIA would NOT honor the warranty, until it was proved to them that the car had been service, to THEIR satisfaction. He said it in a derisive manner, with sort of a sneer, to an older gentlemen, who had a warranty issue. Then manner in which this was stated was totally negative, with no customer 'service' effort. This is the KIA way......

I got the 'fix', but the problem still occasionally resurfaces. I still believe that there are a lot of Amanti owners out there who have the acceleration problem, but attribute it to the rather touchy throttle controls (i.e. accelerator pedal). Yesterday, while touching the brake, the car wanted to continue to accelerate instead. Past experience has taught me to immediate turn the engine off, as that is the only way to stop it. Pressing the brake would not stop the car. For those without quick reflexes, or those that panic easily, this could be a major problem for themselves and others. I cannot afford to dump, and get another vehicle, so I have had to live with it. I know that one day, I will be in position to purchase another vehicle, and it most definitely will not be a KIA, or anything related to it. I have just learned to pay attention to my animal and to be prepared to handle it, when it gets tempermental.
  • fishy3fishy3 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    I have a 2005 Kia Amanti which has had 4 Throttle Body Assembly replacements so far.
    I found literally over a hundred online complaints by other owners with the same acceleration issues reoccuring with low mileage and higher mileage on their new Amanti's in 2004/2005{surging, no acceleration, car goes 10MPH, accidents, and near accidents, etc.
    It is a nightmare driving this car when this problem reappears. Imagine suddenly having almost no accceleration or surging acceleration while being in traffic.
    I filed a recall complaint with NHTSA, { I should have filed sooner , but like many car owners did not know about that option}}who said they can't consider any online reports or complaints from other owners in deciding if the car has a defect warranting a recall.
    KIa won't admit it is a defect or a common problem either. I heard or read so many excuses mechanics gave people at dealerships its amazing and insulting.
    They told me they can't duplicate the problem and to come back when it starts again and or the check engine light goes on. They then told me I was not closing the gas cap correctly.
    I got such a runaround until they finally started replacing the Throttle Body Assembly which is normally over a thousand bucks unless you have extended warranty. Last week the problem reappeared, and they told me sorry, you are past warranty and they only guarantee parts for 12,ooo miles anyway and I am past that mileage anyway.
    I repeated my concern and fear for driving a vehicle I consider a safety hazard. They could care less. They said that my problem is with Kia. I said you are Kia!

Does Kia have a lobbyist who pays off the safety based agencies who are supposed to monitor these issues?
    After all the Toyota acceleration issues, I'm amazed Kia has escaped any scrutiny.
    Besides being lied to, apathy and ignorance how can this continue to be ignored.?

Fishtiger
  • nohelpnohelp Member Posts: 1
    I hit a parked car today! As I pulled in behind the car the engine on my 2005 Kia Amanti became loud and my car took off to the races. I had my foot gently on the brake as I was pulling in behind the parked car, and when my car accelerated I pushed down hard on the brake pedal...in complete shock! Unfortunately, that didn't help, and I crashed into the back of the car. That helped me stop more than applying the brake. I immediatley looked at the floor mat to assure it wasn't involved (I knew that was an earlier claim with some rapid acceleration problems). It was at least 3 inches away from the accelerator. As an earlier post said, can you imagine what a tragedy this would have been if I had been approaching a school crosswalk with children in front of my car? I will spend the next few months of my life trying to deal with all of the fallout from this. This will be the last Kia for me! I was shocked to find all of the other posts detailing this same problem. Other Kia owners should be cautious.
    Yes, in that circumstance, pressing the brake pedal is completely useless, the car will not stop. Been there, done that, but luckily I did not hit anything in my instances. The only thing that works in that circumstance is cutting the car off, which I have done in previous instances. The KIA response "could not duplicate the problem". This is their standard statement, which is their de facto method of saying the problem does not exist. This will only be an 'issue' for KIA when some one that has the means to do so, files a class action suit against KIA, bringing in other owners to give their testimony on this vehicle. I have made the statement in the past about the potential for a major issue, if the vehicle decides to accelerate, ignoring braking, when approaching a crosswalk. The flip side is true also, if you are attempting to accelerate, to get across lanes, and you find that you cannot accelerate, with traffic bearing down on you (hope it is not a big rig, as they do not stop that fast and they do not expect a car to stay stopped in the middle of an intersection). From what I noticed, most of the KIA owners are older, and may not be as internet connected, to be aware of the issue of sudden acceleration/no acceleration/not braking, and may just figure that something flukey happened, or that maybe they did something. The accelerator pedal can be a challenge, for accelerating from a dead stop also, as it is sensitive to the touch.
  • rfowler643rfowler643 Member Posts: 4
    I too have the same problem. Your description is spot on.

I have a 2005 Amanti with 54,000 miles on it. For the last 2 years or so, I have had this problem. You are driving along, you slow down to just under 40 miles per hour, you accellerate and the car shutters for a couple seconds until you are over 43 to 45 miles per hour and then it is back to normal. The check engine light never comes on. It is a very intermittent condition. Those kind of things drive me nuts.

My mechanic will not work on it due to the intermittent condition and the fact there are no codes to chase.

Were you able to determine the cause? I wonder if it is a computer issue and if having the computer flashed would fix the issue?

If you know anything more on this problem, I would appreciate hearing from you.