Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Amanti 2006 and earlier

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Lotus Elan has been out of production for a long time. They probably bought the rights to continue building them.

Elise is the current Lotus, and Opel builds a clone of that.

-juice
  • xg350guyxg350guy Member Posts: 28
    Ok, I just finished, with discust, comparing the Avalon XLS and the Amanti in Canada.

There is none! The Avalon in Canadian dollars is $10,835.00 more, and it has less. It's price is $45,830.00 and the Amanti's is $34,995.00. Thats the start of a college fund!

It's interior resembles the Amanti, as previously mentioned, and yes, I do like it. But if you compare every feature and what you get versus what you don't get, the Amanti Wins! I won't go into details, cause of space limitations, however some of the major points, xenon headlights on the Amanti, 9 Speakers Amanti versus seven on the Avaalon, 8-way power seats Amanti versus 6 way (that means that the back tilt on the Avalon must be manual...please confirm), oh the Avalon has a 6 disc changer in-dash (Kia screwed up here), but the best is the 5-5-5 warranty for the Amanti and the 10 large on the price.Plus the Kia looks way better in person, and the Avalon in print. But here is my second point to this posting.

The biggest thing that I see and believe me in sales it means a big chunk especially today, is the marketing of the product. The Amanti looks cheap on paper and fantastic in real life. The opposite is true for the Toyota. It looks great on websites, marketing magazines, and their brochure, but looks wierd on asphalt, and really unimpressive when you realize that the Kia parked next to you is ten grand cheaper and looks better!

The website, and brochures of the Toyota, Nissan and Honda are way better than those of Kia and Hyundai.

Kia's product is inline and often exceeds due to content and price. However, the marketing, advertising and image, needs serious work to make it more desirable. Because, it isn't desirable until you get that previous Honda driver(like me before my 93 Sonota), or Toyota Avalon shopper into the dealership at Kia that they will start to reflect on the possibility of having Toyota quality at huge savings. So the marketing and discussion boards like this is whats slowly working. But right now it's second rate compared to Toyota's marketing campaign. Look at the reviews that you read from car mags and editors, they all like the Kias and Hyundais after their given one to drive for a day (so would you, I'm sure of it), but the lack of good solid marketing materials (professionaly executed) undervalues the product and creates question in the customers eyes and their memory and brochures is what serves them at decision making time when the vehicle will be purchased.

How many people go back and ask to test drive the same car again and again to finally make up their mind. Probably very few, because they wrestle in their mind the impression that was left on them only once and then the brochure and website will have to reinforce that impression many times over.

The $10,000 dollar difference can be creatively disguised in some type of payment/residual payment plan. Ask any Toyota sales person why you should spend that much more for their product, and I am sure for fear of losing a sale, they can upplay the value and downplay the price difference quite easily, plus reconfigure your payments so they don't ouch so much.

So drive the Avalon, drive the Amanti. Don't take a brochure and compare websites. Compare only the vehicles. And Kia/Hyundai get your marketing materials in order! Nuff Said.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    that the Kia Amanti will be evaluated by Consumer Reports in the next issue(Feb. or March '04). That would be worth taking a look at but don't expect CR writer/reviewers to flip over Amanti...they WILL look for flaws and the old resale value will no doubt rear its ugly head, eh?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Doest take resale value into account in their monthly reviews, but they do take acceleration and fuel economy into account, and the Hyundai/Kia 3.5L 195hp engine has never excelled in these areas. With a heavy car like the Amanti, I wouldnt expect different.

Personally, I think the lame-duck Avalon is overpriced, and underfeatured, I will agree with that. However, styling is very subjective, and many people like the Avalon's "stately" appearance. XG350guy, there I'm sorry, but the the Avalon quality of materials and workmanship are excellent and are as well represented on paper in brochures as they are in real life. I am not an Avalon fan, but I'm not convinced that Kia has produced a better vehicle overall. Yes, the Kia offers a much better portfolio of features for the price, and yes, the Kia wins on available passive safety features (does it have a stability control system available?), BUT... the next, even more powerful, more luxurious, Avalon is but 10 months away, as I have said, while the Kia with its poor acceleration/economy trade off will remain for at least the next several years.

~alpha
    CR rates the Sonata pretty well, not at the top but still good. Amanti could score better. We'll see.

-juice
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    "Kia and Hyundai ARE BY FAR THE BEST BODY STYLER'S ON THE PLANET RIGHT NOW. BAR NONE."

Ahh, maybe you haven't ever seen another car before! Some people have criticized the Amanti's "eggcrate" grille already, and it's not even on the market. I think it's fine, but you can't argue. Kia/Hyundai, while they do design adequately stylish cars to compete, are NOT the BEST (note the word BEST) body stylers right now. Eye-catching car that ACTUALLY ARE GOOD LOOKING would be the G35, 3-series, S60, LS430, all the Acuras, every other luxury car, AND DEFINITELY Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, and Maserati. Saying Kia/Hyundai are the best is WAYYYYYYYYYY too streched. :)
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    I think Hyundai and ex-Daewoo have very nice styling, but I'm not so fond of Kia looks. The Amanti is nice but looks a bit awkward to me. On the other hand, I think the Hyundai XG 350 is a beautiful car. I also think the much-maligned Daewoo Leganza is one of the best looking sedans of the last 10 years. The Koreans seem to be experts at making faux-luxury cars, though the Amanti is not one of their better styling efforts IMHO.

-Andrew L
    You have forgotten, that I own an XG350. For the last 44,000 klms. Slightly more than my years worth of driving. So in the last 12.5 months, I could probably be one of your best info sources as to the quality, acceleration, features and economy for the 3.5 throttle by wire, 5 speed fuzzy logic combination offered by Hyundai/Kia.

Quality - First rate, better than Nissan's cheaper hard plastic look and feel. Better because of price than Toyota. Yes the Avalons materials are on par with the Amantis and the XG350's interior quality, not better, but on par. Better than a Lincoln LS because of price. You would have to be sitting in a Lexus 300 or perhaps an Acura TL/RL to have better quality materials than those found in the Amanti or XG. However, price is the point. Why can't a Toyota Avalon be priced at $34,995 with the same quality as the Kia Amanti? They have to bring up the Camry or Accord, but they only compare in Dollars, not sense! So my point is the Amanti and XG are better because they offer the same quality and content at $10,000 dollars less than an Avalon, and the XG/Amanti offer what others charge $10,000 more in features than the Accord and Camry have to offer. Including electronic stability control (Amanti)and 8 airbags for protection.

Acceleration - The XG350 accelerates 0-100klm in an impressive 7.7 seconds. Comparibly an Acura TL is 6.2 and an Infiniti G35 is 6.4, Nissan Altima is 7.3, not at a price though. But the XG350 weighs the most at an impressive 3651 lbs. I say impressive because these other cars feel look and drive albiet more nimble and tighter handling, but lighter and less solid, but for highway driving, the XG is better, and road irregularites don't make their way through to the cabin as much as the others. The trade off is a less road hugging and less of a noisy ride for a more atheletic ride offered by others. For a solid feel and less road noise the XG is better, and the Amanti is better still.

Around town the others can zip in and out of traffic better because their suspensions and unsprung weight is designed for this type of action, but I didn't but this car to do that, if so, I wouldn't pick a four door sedan for these moves, I would choose a coup or a two seater. I bought it for its majestic prowness so people could stop and stare! After a 2-3 hour drive and then another hour in front of the customer, the XG is my comfortable leather recliner that I can melt into and feel safe, and pop in a CD and cruise down the highway very comfortably very briskly. I have never found the XG to be out gunned and it accelerates beyond 100klms to 180klms quite easily and fast, easily for overtaking. I drive in the fast lane, and go around most, unless someone is really in a hurry. I'm still not comfortable driving beyond this on highways even though the XG's top speed is 222 klm per hour! Yikes! My comfortable cruise is 120-140 klms.

So if you want quicker, yeah you probably have to pay more, and certainly a lot more, were talking hot tub prices more, and I mean HotSprings not Home Depot. The Toyota Avalon is actually on par or slower, but it is also designed for more leasure and comfort as well, and it delivers. And it should for the price their asking. Heck I would be pissed if a $10,000 dollar cheaper car like the XG and the Amanti did it just as good or better, with the unique style they offer versus what I just paid for in buying an Avalon! I then I couldn't afford the Hotspring! Even when the top heavy Avalon gets a redesign, there will probably be 15,000 smarter Amanti owners out there not bothered too much buy Toyotas latest answer to their price increase!

Economy - The trip computor on the XG sets itself back to read 600klms till empty and constantly recalculates itself based on the type of driving your doing and what your expecting of the car. Anotherwards, if you push it, the number counts down faster, if you keep it with the traffic it counts a lot slower. Interesting though, I always push both trip meters (computor and LCD on the dash when I start my week and then fill up the 70 ltr tank). On the highway I get more than the 600 klms, closer to 700 klms, and in the city I get 600 klms. My four cylinder Honda got 800 klms to its 60 ltr tank, great, but in intersections when it was my turn to go, I used to cringe, and that high mileage was only attained at slower than XG speeds, like 105 klms. And the ride, noisy, buzzy dodging road irregularities, and no power etc.

So at my young age, I've come to like driving the XG and all of it's niceties. It's far from my fathers Grand Marquis, and yes it probably doesn't scare a fired up Altima or 300M driver too much, but it does make 'em look twice. And it so far has avoided the side of the road that's too occupied by VW's.

Drive the Amanti/XG and the HotSpring to boot!
    Pressed for time, I stopped reading your redundant post halfway through. Please show me proof of the XG350s 0-60MPH (0-100kmh) time of 7.7. I have not seen any reputable publications come close to that.

regards,
    alpha
    http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/49540/page011.- html

Edmunds own website compares it to the altima / camry and passat.

However, if you feel my posts offer redundancy towards others making a decision similiar to that which I have made a year ago, as to the performance they can expect from an XG based/derived vehicle, then I suggest that you take a deep breath and either read the above link or test drive the car with your Tag/Heuer. Also you can check out the E-catalogs available at the hyundai-motor.com cybermall for my wish as to the brochures that should be available here, or perhaps being really adventurous, you could seek out if Kia has the same type of website in Korea. Being pressed for time myself perhaps the readership would appreciate your contributions more!
    Hyundai XG350. I am another who has caught on to the style and value of HyunKia products and once you've tasted the best it's very hard to look at the German/Italian/American/otherwise Asian car products..it really is! These guys are tops in body styling and performance/reliability value. I have never been stranded by my Kia product...neither my '99 Sephia sedan nor my '01 Kia Sportage 4x4. As for SUV's I have yet to see an SUV styled as niftly as the Sportsman. The others only try but fail in the flair department. The new Sportage looks hot but since this is the Kia Amanti thread I'll defer to all things Amanti and say that if I wanted a lux car the Amanti would definitely be my choice. Way too many luxury features/good looks/great warranty/reasonable price to look elsewhere.

VIS,ABS,Brake Assist, ESP, HID,TCS, BFD, all little acronyms that are standard on the Amanti. I'm sure others make these available too,...but at what cost?

Who says that Amanti/XG are old technology? I'd suggest that they've married new technology into a refreshing body style, with ergonomics that border on luxury sedan. Nav is yet available, but that is coming. Go to the Korean website, lobby for these features, and they will show up here, without all the fanfare and media hype that the others crave. At 15000 units per year, not many people will find out about the Amanti and XG, as much as there will be talk about an Accord or a new Avalon, but discretely, 15,000 people will be smiling each year in a slightly different way. Kudos to Kia!
    The engine isn't as high-tech as the equipment inside the car, IMO.

Give it 240+hp and VVT and the things would fly off the shelf.

The content level is impressive. I don't think most $40k luxury cars come with as much standard.

-juice
    I stand corrected. I have never seen an impressive time like that from the XG350 before. It will be interesting to see what the Amanti clocks.

Amanti content levels are impressive. It is a better deal than many similarly priced vehicles, if features are your deal. Like I said, I'm not an Avalon fan, and the Amanti, on paper looks more impressive than that vehicle, but a new one is on the way...

Enjoy your XG.

~alpha
    xg: This was of the 2002 models! Since then, the current 04 models might have lost weight or gained weight. The 04 Camry V6 is 210HP and the Camry SE V6 is 225HP. The 04 XG/Amanti makes 194HP (maybe Amanti makes a couple more, I forgot to check). The Camry probably would've (at least now) really out-accelerate the XG. Also, PLEASE STOP BRAGGING ABOUT HOW MUCH VALUE THE XG HAS!! The American XG does not have HID, ESP, and Brake Assist!! It's different there in Canada! Why are you telling us to view the Korean website?? Of course these cars are going to have more features in their homeland. Japanese cars have WAYYY more features in Japan than they do here. Saying to go to hyundai-motor.com has nothing to do with North America. And finally yes, the XG is old-tech. No side-curtain airbags, no NAV system, no VVT, cast-iron block, etc. The Amanti at least has side-curtains but still old tech. But, I'm not saying that they aren't good values.

Everyone knows that Hyundai/Kia have upped their build quality. But saying it's as good as Toyota, Nissan, and Honda is NOT right. Sure, it's higher than before, but not as good as the Japanese BIG 3.
  • svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    "Kia and Hyundai ARE BY FAR THE BEST BODY STYLER'S ON THE PLANET RIGHT NOW. BAR NONE."

Now I know that you are a huge Hyundai/Kia fan, and style, by its nature, is a very subjective quality. You are free to form your own opinions, of course. I think that Hyundai and Kia have a few very nicely styled vehicles (the Sorento, XG350, Optima, and upcoming Spectra come to mind), but I can assure you that you are among the smallest minority in declaring Hyundai and Kia the best body stylists on the planet. The fact is, the companies' best designs are all derivative of those penned by the true styling leaders out there. Not until the Koreans strike out on their own with some bold, original designs can they ever hope to become styling leaders in the eyes of the average buyer.
    And opinions are like noses-everybody has one. Right? Well, almost everybody has a nose. Even the humble little Sephia sedan has more styling to it's body than Honda's entire stable of Civics. Really, the entire Honda line is the definition of dull. The Kia lineup has styling distinct to the Kia brand. The same could be said about Hyundai. The XG350 is a very good looking body style and if you look at their SUV, Santa Fe, it has it's own distinct body style BORROWED from no other manufacturer of fine automobiles. Excuse me while I go blow my nose.

The American XG does not have those features, and only has some of those presented in the Amanti. That is why I am saying the Amanti is probably a better buy, and for those that can get around the idea of driving such a car will probably benefit well.

The reference to the Korean website, Rctennis is for those that probably have not ventured over to it, so that they may gain some more insight as to Hyundai/Kia's abilities and where they are going.

I recognize that these features may not come here, as of yet, just as I'm sure that Toyota owners recognize they will never see a car with as many features offered as the XG or Amanti at their price.

So the best designed cars in the world only have one thing to fear and that is that the Korean car companies are trying real hard and succeeding to offer the same great style, more features and less cost, than that which the others have been fortunate to charge like hell for. Heck I'm not going to brag about something that I bought and paid way too much for especially when I later find out that it went on sale at Walmart, or that another company makes such a very similiar product and offers more for less. No I'm not going to brag about this, I'm going to recognize that my education on the subject maybe should have been a little more open minded and indepth to take into account all of the opportunities that are presented when making my evaluation on my next car.

So If someone gave me a stock tip and I don't take it and they make all the money, heck should I blame the stock market? Should I blame my buddy?

To all the best designed cars out their, thankyou for setting the bar very high that others must measure up to, and for making good cars as well. To Kia and Hyundai, thankyou for making really good cars that emulate very well some of the design features found on some of the best designed cars on the planet, and also for making them affordable, otherwise guys like me would only wish they could have a car in their driveway that looks so nice and doesn't make me cringe at the first of every month! Happy Holiday motoring!
    Sorry about misinterpreting your post!
    only proves my point. The Kia Spectra has a lot more design integrity than the Honda Civic. The '04 Civic looks a lot like an Accord-wannabe(which is saying very little to me). Whatever or however Honda does always seems to look like an expensive appliance(note the word "expensive"). The Kia lineup is unique, original and quality is great. I know-I'm on my second Kia since 1999 and the one I have now I traded for not out of necessity but because they're affordable enough to do it. Yes, the Honda's will offer much better trade-in value, and for some that is all they need to hear. That is again, dull, and uninspired. The new Spectra is going to be a better car than the current ones and probably won't cost much more than the '03 Kia Spectra's. Since this is an Amanti thread I'll sign off. Over.

Actually, not all of Kia's reliability and quality is great. The Spectra is the eldest model with the worst reputation of the brand. Every other model (except Rio, I don't know about that one), Sedona, Sorento, Amanti, Optima, have great quality.

Read the reports and you'll find out. :)

My opinion: Actually, Hondas aren't that dull. They're as dull as Kias (which aren't dull). The Odyssey looks much better than the Sedona, but the Sorento looks much better than the Pilot. It's a matter of opinion, and I'm fine with what you think is stylish and what's not. Now the Amanti is what I wouldn't call stylish. It's more of interesting a.k.a. Love it or Hate it styling. I don't mind it's styling, but I'm wishing for something more traditional.
  • netcamnetcam Member Posts: 30
    xg350guy talked about features, Amanti loaded, and Nav systems on the way, etc.
    Well, I see the Korean Sorento already has this available. A pic of the system can be seen at:
    http://www.mobis.co.kr/img/cybermall/show/zoom/sorento/shr_sorent- o_zimg02.jpg

I sure hope it comes to NA soon and that the current models can be upgraded with that system. That looks sharp in the Sorento dash!
    on the transmission bump then. I drive a Sportage, mind you, and the cupholders on the Sportage are right there where the NAV system is on the Sorento shown in the link. That does look sharp and AAMOF I like the entire layout of the Sorento console shown. Very navigatable! =:)
    I would sure think that the American Amanti would have the NAV system as well.

• netcamnetcam Member Posts: 30
    on the center console behind the trans shifter. The center console is a great design too, IMO.
    I checked the nav system pic with my Sorento brochure and it should directly replace the existing am/fm/tape/cd unit. I'm definitely going to try and upgrade to it if/when it becomes available over here. Would also not be surprised to see it in the Amanti.

BTW, what is AAMOF?
    NAVIGATION SYSTEM

I find it odd that many foreign cars in America do not have Navigation systems available, but come standard in their home country. Only recently have the Japanese manufacturers given the option of DVD-based Navigation systems on their vehicles. It seems only logical that Kia/Hyundai will offer it too!! :)
    Just my opinion, but that Civic looks as dull as ever. They just pulled back the eye brows for a face-lift. Actually I think it looks a little worse.

-juice
    The Civic was NOT improved by the styling changes this year, I especially don't like the new front bumper.

That said, looks like Toyota is feeling the heat of the Amanti, and giving hints of whats to come... Check out what in my book is a likely candidate for the next Avalon on toyota.com. Click "Vehicles" then go to Future Vehicles and the "Crown Concept" (something like that, anyway).

~alpha
    Crown Concept would never make it in US as a Toyota. It'll probably be a Lexus, IF it ever does come stateside.
    But what makes you so sure? Why would Toyota put a Lexus concept on their webpage? I dont see any pics of the LF-S on the Toyota site.....

~alpha
    Well, the reasons it would never be a Toyota here is that nobody is willing to pay the price of a luxury car in a car more luxurious and almost equally sporty as the GS as a Toyota!! The Crown Concept (on the Toyota website) is the Crown Concept from the one in Japan. It's probably there to showcase what they can achieve. All the luxurious Toyotas in Japan are here as Lexuses (Aristo=GS, Celsior=LS, Land Cruiser Prado=GX, Land Cruiser 100=LX, Windom=ES, Altezza=IS, Harrier, RX). It probably would make more sense to have the Crown as a Lexus.
    and please......continue with the Amanti!
    AAMOF stands for "As A Matter Of Fact". Sounds like feelings about the mundane Honda Civic styling are shared by pert-near all of us in the Kia Amanti thread on Edmunds.

• chicobaldguychicobaldguy Member Posts: 4
    in Marysville, CA. It was the first Amanti in No Cal, to my knowledge. Anyway, I was very impressed with the build quality and ride. It is extremely quiet. Keep in mind I got ansy and took a test drive in an 04' Maxima on Weds, so I'm kinda comparing. The Amanti does not accelerate like the Maxima (which downright scared me getting onto the freeway, that thing is a rocket), but has more than ample acceleration, better than my girlfriend's Focus or my company car (o3' Astro). The Amanti takes road bumps better than any car I have ever been in. It is, like I said, very quiet. The horsepower is rated at 200, which is adequate for the target market. The Maxima is more of a sport/luxury car, whereas the Amanti is more just luxury. I can't coment on a lot of the extras, because the car I drove was a basic model (no leather, no trip monitor,) but it did come with standard abs, 8 different air bags, and power front seats, 8 way driver and 4 way passenger, I think). I'm no expert, but I can say the fit and finish of this car far exceeds that of comparable domestics. I might take an Avalon for a spin just to compare. Oh, and I might add I was very impressed with the tranny also. One of the smoothest shifting I have been in also. It has a "shiftronic" mode, but I didn't try it, it just seems out of place in a luxury car. Anyway, for what it's worth, that's my take. When I get a chance, I'll drive a loaded Amanti and let you guys know how it compares to a Avalon
  • ACCENTACCENT Member Posts: 10
    I also looked at one last night, didn't have a chance to test drive it. The one I looked at and sat in was a fully loaded model, white peal in color. Build quality and paint quality are excellent, very nice attention to detail, very impressed. The XG350 is nice, but does not compare to the new Amanti. If Kia markets this car right, they should have a hit on their hands..
    Good job Kia!!
  • fmunoz1069fmunoz1069 Member Posts: 35
    I drove a loaded, Mac daddy Amanti today. Wow was I impressed. The leather is soft and comfortable, it has a nice feel to everything, I love the power windows with the auto down and UP feature. The rear view mirrors rotated downward when put in reverse. I agree, it does not accelerate as fast as a Maxima, but it feels just fine. The transmission is so smooth. I hope this car sells well for KIA. People should really give this car a look. I don't think anyone would be disappointed.
    new luxury sedan Amanti! So far it sounds like it's living up to what Kia advertised it to be. Keep 'em coming!

I've already seen the written magazine ads, when will the TV ads begin?
    for Amanti, it's been out at dealers for several weeks now, eh?

to gather the Amanti advertising information. Here it is:

Kia Rewrites the Rules for the Marketing Launch of Amanti
    Advertising Campaign Unveils Kia’s New Large Sedan
    and Introduces Kia Brand to a New Consumer
    IRVINE, Calif., December 22, 2003 - Where is it written that a big car has to be boring? That’s the question asked by Kia Motors America in a new integrated advertising campaign from independent ad agency davidandgoliath supporting the launch of the Amanti, Kia’s first entry into the large sedan segment.

The broadcast break of the advertising campaign for Amanti, which launches on Dec. 26, is part of a broader sales, marketing and public relations push which also includes a cross-country mall tour and grassroots initiative.

"Kia is confidently entering a segment where it’s never played before, and doing so with a car that appeals to an audience that has never considered the brand before," said Wally Anderson, vice president of marketing communications. “Over the years, Kia has found its place in the automotive marketplace. With Amanti, Kia is showing that the brand has not only grown, but it has matured, and we believe the advertising and marketing initiatives reflect that.”

The advertising campaign is designed to make an assertive statement about Kia’s entry into the full-size market, as well as create awareness and drive purchase consideration. It positions the Amanti as a roomy sedan designed to excel in the areas that matter most to mature Boomer car buyers—such as contemporary styling, numerous luxury and advanced safety features and best-in-class warranty—making it not only a great value, but a vehicle they will be proud to own as well.

The TV component of the campaign breaks Dec. 26 with a teaser spot titled “Intro” that shows sleek tracking shots of the Amanti racing across the desert as on-screen graphics ask viewers whether what they are looking at is a luxury import—or even if it is a luxury car at all.

“Intro” is followed up by an even more visually striking commercial that makes a bold statement for the Kia brand. “Books,” breaking in early January, represents a new look and feel for Kia advertising. Shot on an expansive desert set in California, the ad highlights the new 2004 Amanti as it negotiates its way around an obstacle course of monolithic, building-sized textbooks. Old and worn, they represent the archaic rules that have hamstrung the full size automotive category for years. As the Amanti blows past and the books tumble to the desert floor in its wake, the voiceover asks, “Where is it written that luxury is only for the few? If it is written somewhere, we couldn’t find it.”

Print ads for Amanti that capture the same iconic imagery will break in January editions of such consumer publications as Time, Newsweek, USA Today, Money and Southern Living, as well as in the car enthusiast titles Car and Driver, Road and Track, Motor Trend and Automobile.

“We chose the ‘books’ metaphor because we see the Amanti as throwing out the old rules for big cars and writing its own, in terms of what these cars should look like and who they’re targeted to," said davidandgoliath Chairman and Chief Creative Office David Angelo. "In the process, Kia is bringing a breath of fresh air to a rather staid category with the Amanti and we believe our research shows that we have done just that with this new campaign."

Retailing at around $25,000, the Amanti comes equipped with a wide range of features usually found on cars costing much more, including a 3.5L V6 engine with 5-speed automatic. Amanti also comes with a level of safety features normally reserved for performance imports costing much more, including dual front airbags, front and rear side airbags side curtain airbags, front active headrests and ABS. It also comes with a 10 year/100K mile warranty with five-year roadside assistance.

Target buyers for Amanti hold professional or managerial jobs and are in their mid-forties to late-fifties and want a stylish large sedan. Most buyers in the target demographic group have never considered a Kia vehicle before, but as the leading edge of the baby boomers, many have owned international brands and they appreciate great value.

The Amanti is the newest addition to the growing Kia product range and the most recent fulfillment of the company’s plans to reach out to a broader spectrum of American consumers. With its distinctive styling and impressive list of standard equipment, the Amanti will attract new, more affluent customers to the Kia brand, and will also continue to evolve the automaker’s image from that of a small, entry-level manufacturer to a company offering consumers value, quality and safety in a full product range.

The 2004 Kia Amanti debuts at Kia retail showrooms throughout the United States in December 2003. Kia Motors America is the U.S. sales, marketing and service arm of Kia Motors Corp. in Seoul, South Korea.

About davidandgoliath
    davidandgoliath (dng) is a national full-service independent agency of hand-selected professionals with outstanding creative, media, marketing, account planning, account management, TV and print production capabilities, and an outsourcing network of national and global resources. Founded in November 1999, davidandgoliath is headquartered in Los Angeles with a satellite office in New York City. To learn more about dng, visit www.dngla.com.

Kia Motors America is the U.S. sales, marketing and service arm of Kia Motors Corp. in Seoul, South Korea.

looking forward to those commercials!!
    Maybe its just because of the zip code I am entering (indicating the Amanti is not yet available in my area)... but can anyone else NOT YET price an Amanti on carsdirect.com???

~alpha
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I stopped in to my local Kia dealer the other night to try out a Rio (checking on potential cars for #1 Son, but that's another story; since the Kia Rio discussion is shut down, I posted my musings in the "Low End Cars" discussion). I saw an Amanti parked outside and also on the showfloor. I took good look at the Amanti and was quite impressed. The interior was comparable in trim and quality to what you might expect on a high-end Lexus. The exterior was understated and tasteful, somewhat Lincoln-esque on side profile, although the grille is a little overdone I think. The most amazing thing about the car was the price--just over $25k MSRP including destination. The day before I had read Edmunds.com's comparo of V6 family sedans--Accord, Mazda6, Camry etc. Most of those cars stickered for more than the Amanti, with some approaching or even exceeding $30k. The Amanti has much more content than any of those cars. Of course, someone who wants a sharp-handling family sedan will look right past the Amanti to the Mazda6 or Accord, but that's not the Amanti's mission. If buyers can get past the perception of Kia as a "low end" carmaker, they should sell a lot of Amantis if its quality is not just skin-deep.
    considering the good reliability reports from Optima, Sedona and Sorento owners. Amanti offers a full array of luxury and safety apppointments to compliment it's nifty looks. Can't wait to get a report from somebody who has bought one and posts their opinion on Edmunds-Kia Amanti!

Shouldn't this forum be in the sedans area now? It really isn't a "FUTURE VEHICLE" anymore..anyways, continue on!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    rc, good shout. I overlooked this one. I'll see if pat is ready for this discussion over in Sedans!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ..... It's a wonder they could keep them running long enough to complete the commercials .l.o.l..

$25 grand for a Kia ..? .. you would have to be drug induced to even consider it, give them 6/8 months and you will be able to buy them for mid teens ...

Terry.
    The best forecast may be the current XG350. A local no-haggle dealer has 16 in stock, prices range from $21,695 to $22,556. Not one of the 16 is less than 20 grand.

That's for an older model that is also smaller, less powerful, and has fewer features. So the best forecast would be the Amanti coming in at a slightly higher price than the XG.

Given your position perhaps you're thinking of wholesale/auction prices on used models, that's a different story.

-juice
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Have you seen the Amanti? Driven it? What were your impressions? Do you have some inside information about its design and construction that leads you to believe that it won't hold up and continue the trend towards improved quality that Kia started with the Sedona and Sorento? Once the inevitable rebates and discounts come into play and a new Amanti is available for the low $20s, what do you think about the value equation then, compared to other cars in that price range?
    compared to ALL the rest in it's class. Anybody patient enough to go to Kia's microsite and actually READ all of the information will see that Kia's Amanti offers WAY MORE THAN ANY OTHER MANUFACTURER'S CAR IN THIS CLASS. EASILY. As my buddy Sam Elliott likes to say, "Nuff said." Amanti blows them all CLEANLY outta da water. Oh, yeah, nuff said. Nuff said.
        Stupid comments about "keeping them running long enough" are running scared comments. Sit back, pop open a Diet Sunkist and enjoy the view as the Hyundai-Kia machine climbs comfortably up into being one of the world's Top 5 automakers by 2010. Nuff said.