Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Amanti 2006 and earlier

Comments

• topgeartopgear Member Posts: 111
    I have seen Amanti's parked in the Enterprise Auto rental parking lot by our Sarasota/Bradenton airport. Good luck requesting one though, as I think you can only get a reservation with a certain "class" of auto. What you actually get will depend on what they have in their lot inventory when you arrive. At this exact moment for example, there are no Amanti's there.

When I bought mine (January of 2004) I was allowed by my dealer to keep the car for a few hours to drive around. Needless to say I was "sold" and bought mine that day. I would recommend that you ask your local dealer if you can drive one too, for awhile at least to see how you like it. I know that's not as good as living with one for a week or so, but, good luck in your final decision!
    -Pete

PS One more thing about my Amanti. I drive mine pretty aggressively. In retrospect, my day to day driving is probably pretty hard on the car. I drive quickly and I'm not afraid to corner, (which is tough on my tires -Khumo's by the way -and doing a great job). Having said that, she still behaves like a lady and rides and looks great. I do think the front shocks are starting to go a little, but that could be my imagination. Love mine! :shades:
  • magmaxmagmax Member Posts: 88
    Sorry about that missed post just above. I don't know how I did that but it was unintentional.

My 05 Amanti is just coming up to 9000 km (a bit more than 5000 miles) and it's been totally trouble free. Mine came with Kumho tires, a Korean brand that I hadn't heard of. So far my tires have not made the slightest noise, something that some of the early magazine reports commented on, so I don't know what kind of driving they were doing to get theirs to squeal. I did have a flat a while ago, called the roadside assistance, who dispatched help and made what could have been misery into a minor non-event. When I went to a specialty tire shop the next day to have the screw removed from the tire, I asked them about Kumho tires. The technicians there assured me that it was a perfectly good brand that was just as good as anything else that was available. I don't see any signs of premature tire wear and my tire pressures haven't changed in months of driving under all conditions. My car continues to be rattle free and gives an amazingly comfortable and quiet ride. I've been on some short out of town trips recently and find this to be a supremely comfortable highway cruiser, with almost no road noise, no wind noise at all, excellent air conditioning in our current heat wave, and very reasonable mileage at highway speeds. Around town mileage is not so good, especially on short start and stop trips, but it uses regular gas and if my driving includes any open road stretches, the mileage immediately improves. The part of owning this car that still amazes me each time it happens is that total strangers want to look at it and know all about it. They love the look of the car, are completely taken by the interior (I've had a number of total strangers sitting in the car just to show it to them....I figure the more people I can convert the better it will be for all of us who already own a Kia Amanti), and they believe the features for the price.

As I probably said back when I first posted here, before I bought mine just before last Christmas, the dealer I was working with gave it to me to use for a Saturday afternoon. So I took it on my usual errands, on roads and streets that I knew well, and also out of town. By the time I brought it back I knew I wanted it. We couldn't agree on a final deal so I went to another dealer and got what I thought was a fair deal and saved $600 in the process. I'm still having a little problem with finding a perfect driving position in which my leg doesn't hurt, but it's much better now than before so maybe I'm adjusting to the seat instead of the other way around.

To anyone who asks about buying one of these amazing cars, I'd say, try it for a few hours and you won't want to give it back. Take it on a highway trip and you'll want to keep on driving.

MagMax
  • shadow99688shadow99688 Member Posts: 209
    Dealer here finally dropped price for fully loaded 05 from just under $33,000.00 to $27,295.00 they have 3 05 cars left that they got in June, all the cars they got before sold as fast as they got them and they raised the prices with each shipment, well I guess that over 30k was too much for the people here to pay for a Kia, I really hate dealers that jack prices way above MSRP.

Still going to get my car from dealer in Seattle can get late 05 with everything for just under $26k including mud guards, Sunroof deflector, Sport visors, Door edge guard, paint protecter, and a dealer installed class 2 hitch.
    That includes all fees and other B.S. that they tag on the price when you go to pay.
  • billh6billh6 Member Posts: 123
    Hey, has anybody else experienced the fuel door not opening the first time you push the button on the driver's door to open? I'm having a heck of a time getting it to pop open. It is like flimsy plastic and I think it's been pushed shut too hard and not it sticks. I was traveling back from Ft. Lauderdale yesterday and the low fuel light was on for what seemed like forever and was thrilled to finally find a station (although was in shock at the price per gallon) and I didn't think I was ever going to get the door to pop open. Guess I'll take to deal to replace it. Bill - Orlando
    Bill, no problems here with mine (and lord knows I use mine a lot!). I know the filler door is a softer plastic material and not metal like in the old days. It is probably similar to the plastic used on Saturn's door panels and bumpers on most cars today. Good luck and let us know how you make out!
    -Pete Sarasota
    Funny you should mention this, Bill. I filled up my car on Wednesday evening, this week and after filling the tank with hugely overpriced gasoline I capped the tank and closed the filler flap. As I turned away to get into the car I noticed that the filler door seemed to be set a little further in than normal so I pushed the release on the door to unlock it but nothing happened. I tried a few more clicks, to no avail and then remembered your message about this. At last the tank was full, so I could wait a while before dealing with this and i've got an appointment for a service on Tuesday. At home I tried it again and this time it popped open. So then came various experiments, from just lightly pushing the filler door to pushing it hard. The upshot was that I'm now afraid to run low on fuel in case the door sticks again. I did try the manual release inside the trunk too but it seems to act on the same thing as the electric solenoid does so that didn't help at all. Anyone else with a gas filler door story?

MagMax
  • azhawkazhawk Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know when the 2006 Amanti is going to be released? (Not able to get any info from Kia...in fact, at this point, can't even contact the company via email...strange, huh?)

Also, do you happen to know whether or not Kia has addressed the "mushy front end" and "lack of horsepower" issues in 2006?

BTW, regarding sales price (which seems to come up often on some of these boards), $25K seems awfully high to me. One dealer here in Phoenix has them marked down substantially from this price...to around $20K+/-, loaded, before taxes, et al, of course.

Thank you!
    Just got a call from my local dealer here in Phoenix (today, Saturday, Aug. 20). Amanti, loaded, $7K off sticker. Seems pretty reasonable to me, around $18K don't you think? Going down now for another test drive.

My only reluctance to buy at this point is that I suspect Kia going to address the "mushy front end" and "lack of horsepower" issues in a couple of months when they release the '06 model and I'll be sorry I didn't wait (however, they may not be offering these hefty discounts then, either...who knows). Good luck to you! hawk
  • shadow99688shadow99688 Member Posts: 209
    I get different answers from the dealers when I ask when the 2006 will be out, was told August by one dealer, December by another , and a third said January.
    I think Kia is dumping the 3.5 engine and going to the 3.8 Aluminum V-6 with Continuously Variable Valve Timing, as the Srento and Sedona are both getting the 3.8 for 2006.

3.8L DOHC 24-valve, V6 engine with Continuously Variable Valve Timing (CVVT)
    Horsepower @ rpm: 265 @ 6,000
    Torque @ rpm: 257 @ 4,500
    As the engine is lighter it should help the front suspension and give much better accelaretion with the reduced weight and more power, will improve gas mileage also
    The 2006 Rio even got a new 1.6 Liter engine with CVVT
    Based on what the dealers are telling you, 2006's will probably to be built around August and shipped stateside by end of -or beginning of the new year. This is pure speculation on my part. I can't wait to see them, though! -And I hope they have some nice new exterior colors, too!
    On a slightly different subject...
    I have noticed another minor change between the 2004 & 2005 Amanti's (among those already mentioned here). When I bought my new 1984 Toyota Camry, I always hated the cheap looking rear name tag molded all in one piece. My '04 Amanti has quality, separate letters spelling out the word 'AMANTI' on the trunk. Now, in '05 it is a one piece unit with connecting tabs that look poor (to me). I wonder how much Kia saved?
    I understand these things do add up, but -although I love my car dearly, I wonder what else has been done that's hidden to cut corners on future models?
    Again, this is just a MINOR observation on my part.
    -Pete Sarasota
    A larger engine sounds like a very good move on Kia's part...sure would help; 200 HP just isn't enough for this vehicle, also would be nice in their smaller (forgot the name) SUV. Think I'll take a "wait and see" position for now. Better safe than sorry, although they did offer to sell me a brand new LOADED Amanti today for 21,300 (approx. $7K below sticker, which ain't too shabby).

Thanks for the info!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    indeed, I have had the same problem you are having with your fuel filler door. This being on my '01 Kia Sportage 4x4, back in 2002. I pulled into a gas station just off of I-5 in the Skagit Valley, walked back to the back expecting to see the filler door open. I didn't forget to push the remote door release, or had I, I remember thinking. I walked back up into the cab and pushed the button to release the fuel filler door again, and nothing had happened, the filler door was stuck shut. Well, I decided to try and pry it open with a screwdriver. Pretty much a "Primitive Pete" idea, but I got the door open. I got my gas and the next time it stuck closed again!

I made an appointment at my Kia dealer for it and they fixed it under Warranty. They had to put a new set of parts-fuel filler door lock/release mechanism parts of some variety. Take yours in and let me know what happens, OK, magmax? I'm sure they'll fix it for free under the Warranty. :D

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• futura77339futura77339 Member Posts: 5
    try enterprise rent a car, i rented one from them when i was in san antonio for a week,
    every time I use the key fob to get back into the car the mirrors go to a different position, it might memorize it one time but then the second time I push it, it goes to a different location. is any body else having a problem with this?
    Hi Futura, As I understand the system to work, one position is memorized by one key fob and the second by the second fob, on the assumption that two drivers for two positions means they'll each have a key of their own. So it's possible that you're trying to memorize a second setting on the key fob, which it won't do. You can use the buttons on the door, though, and just ignore the key fob. Anyway, I've never had a problem with mine but then I've only used a single key fob so far.

MagMax
    Like you I've not been successful in finding out anything about the 2006 models here in Canada. But I go in for a service in two days and we'll see what I can pry out of them then. That new 3,8 V6 from the Hyundai Azera seems to be exactly what the Amanti needs -- more power, better mileage -- but I wouldn't hold my breath. I suspect it would take a fair amount of re-engineering to fit that much power into the Amanti without a pretty thorough re-do of the suspension and that would cost. I still feel that Hyundai/Kia need to sit down and decide which brand is going to be the luxury one and which the sporty one. With the Azera coming up, Hyundai will have a super modern upper level car that will compete directly against the Amanti, so why take sales from their own brand? Maybe the Amanti will end up being a slightly modified Azera with a more sporty feel? Of course with that engine the current Amanti could literally blow the Toyota Amanti into the weeds, and for a lot less money too. I've pretty well decided that if this is how they're going, I'll replace my Amanti in another year or two with a new one if it has that engine. At the moment, frankly, there isn't anything on the market that appeals to me as much as the Amanti does, both in fit and finish as well as comfort and the power's fine for me. So my only real gripe is with the fuel consumption but I knew that going in.

MagMax

MagMax
    no mine is changeing the mirrors everytime i use the key fob to reopen the doors after locking them, so i guess i'll have to get it to the dealer if no one else is having a problem with this. also the way kia has it both key fob's are the same, it memorizes the last entry when ever you push the lock button. thanks
    Everyone yells to come see the Amanti lottery commercial when it airs. We saw it twice on ABC during the national news. Now maybe my family and friends (and coworkers) won't keep asking me .. if it's such a nice vehicle why isn't it advertised more? :)

Also, up there.. I'm not sure what a key fob is. I know on my car that my mirrors stay where I left them. If I turn the button to the left, then they drop when I put it in reverse, or if to the right, then only the right one drops. Wait.. I do remember while a while there that they were defaulting back. Seems like I had to put it in Park with foot on brake for it to hold the positioning that I wanted. Bill - Orlando
  • wakinwakin Member Posts: 6
    So far as I know, several Opirus (the other name of " Amanti" in Asia) of my city have the same problems as you described. Mine included! I tried many ways to adjust it in the correct way, but it does not work after several days. The dealer said the computer of the car can only drive the mirror but can not reset the positions of them. So I have to tell you that you'd better, like me, put up with it. :cry:
  • manny24manny24 Member Posts: 2
    I like hyundai, especially that they are making more refined engines in future models, including the accent and sonata, but kia is a little disapionting to me. Kia's are good, with the amanti at $25,550, in the large sedans class. Very Cheap!!! the amanti offers decent acceleration, has a good transmission, but braking is only on-par. the handling is horrible. but on the other hand, the amanti offers a great, quite ride. a very driver-oriented interior! But fuel economy is bad, especially with only 200 horses.
    But, overall, its a good car at a bargain price ;)
  • manny24manny24 Member Posts: 2
    the acceleration, braking and handling were from consumer reports magazines real world tests
    Hi. I'm glad you like Hyundai. They now own Kia and in fact the Amanti is based on their XG350. We prefer to call the Amanti as "inexpensive" as it is not "cheap". I would highly recommend you personally test drive an Amanti before buying into (what I believe to be) a biased test report from CR (I know, it's hard to believe...). My brakes are great by the way. This is not a Lexus 430 (but in it's own way, it comes close).
    I dare anyone to find any car, in this price range that's a nicer car. It's only bad point is it uses fuel more than it should, (something we didn't really care about a year ago but now is important). And I guarantee you the next model change of the Amanti will have a great mpg improvement over this model as it will be based on the upcoming Azera by Hyundai with its new engine.

Believe what you wish, but if you read these owner's comments here, at the forum you will NOT find complaints of it's handling. That's real world testing.

Really...test drive one yourself then decide. :shades:
  • harrier2harrier2 Member Posts: 32
    18K for an (05???)..LOADED!!!!! boy I could certainly live with the soft ride and so-so gas mileage for that price...here in the SF Bay Area the best you are going to do is a base model for about 20K (05)........my Amanti is 19 months old and I paid no where what you were offered (MUCH MORE!!!!), so bottom line I would grab that loaded (leather, moonroof, super cd player, etc., etc) with absolutely no inhibitions at all...........by Bay Area standards "pretty reasonable" is an understatement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and in my opinion the mushy ride and lack of power is easily off-set by all the pluses this car offers...........you can choose to wait to check out the new (06) but you will most likely pay a whole lot more!!!!!!!
  • cprailmancprailman Member Posts: 1
    At eleven months old and just shy of 20K miles, I've had my first event requiring service, outside of normal lube, oil & filter and tire rotations. My windshield washers suddenly stopped working. Upon investigation, the washer hose has broken right at the connection near the the passenger side hood hinge. Dealer has ordered a new hose, and I am waiting for the part to arrive. Anyone else had this problem? This is the ONLY problem I've experienced to date, and am still very impressed with the vehicle.
  • tommy555tommy555 Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

If you watch ABC's World News Tonight (at 6:30 p.m. e.s.t.), you may have noticed that they have been running a commercial all this week for the Amanti. It is a silver one just like my own. As stated in an earlier post, it is nice to know these ads are out there to at least help folks know what an Amanti is.

Tom from Central N.J.
  • captainbobcaptainbob Member Posts: 17
    hello to Billh6 and Tmeyers2 and digitodd
    we have just returned from a 4118 mile vacation trip in our 2004 AMANTI.it now has 21350 miles with no repairs runs fine on 87 octane even in the Va.Pa.and NY mountains.Our entire trip mileage average for city and highway was 25.5 the best highway trip mileage was a 30.2 and a 32.0 these mileages were using the A/C all the time.I did try shutting the a/c off to see what improvement i would get .by the car computer it jumped 2.5 to 3.0 this was not over a prolonged time as i went back on a/c all the prior data for mileage was done by fillup to fillup and using a pencil to get the REAL mileage per gallon.The Amanti is the best car we have ever had and it still has people asking to see it.The CR reviews are so far wrong about this car it is unbelieviable.I mentioned before that i wrote KIA all i received is that they got my letter.
  • lovemyamantilovemyamanti Member Posts: 3
    Hello all. I've recently purchased a 2005 Amanti (Pearl White, loaded) here in Tacoma, Wash. Really enjoy the way it drives and quite happy with the looks (yeah, even the grill). I've managed to read through all the 900+ posts here, and thoroughly enjoyed the varied discussions. I also agree that Consumer Reports got it wrong on this one. Can't say I'm wild about the gas mileage, but looking forward to a long happy relationship with this unique car. Like some others here, I do have another vehicle I am currently using as a commute car, but the Amanti is great for "my time" rather than the drudge to work and back, so that makes it all the nicer. The girlfriend and family are impressed and I haven't heard a disparaging word from anyone. The dealership was called Car Pros, and they treated me like I was a luxury car buyer all the way through the process. All-in-all, I'm quite happy with the new purchase, and after reading these posts, I feel I'm in similar company. To those of you just thinking about buying one, I also want to encourage you to take your own first test drive. Take care everyone, and thanks for all the things you've written here!!

Daniel :-)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Congrats, Daniel! Hope you'll stick around and share your experiences with the other Amanti-folk here. Enjoy your new ride!
    Daniel: Glad to know you are also enjoying your Amanti. I love my car. Love it more now than the day I bought it last Nov. Almost 9 months now and finally hit 5k miles on it, because I have another vehicle. Guess you can tell I'm babying it. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually getting tired of seeing all the Amanti commercials on TV (although I still run to the living room ti soak it all in) lol :blush:
    Bill - Orlando
  • sailormannorthsailormannorth Member Posts: 9
    I just came from my Kia dealer.. I was there to have the stereo replaced as it was not accepting discs. I came out being told that I need a new transmission. I looked in the shop and there was an Amanti receiving a new transmission.

My car has only 20000 KM. The only symptom that I had was a whistle when the car was coasting. Apparently the final gear is a problem.

Anyone else been or going down this road?????

Todd
  • vervekaverveka Member Posts: 9
    I guess I jinxed myself by questioning how things would go at the dealer because it did not go well. I had several minor concerns (airbag light, auto-tilt mirror not tilting as far as it did before, slightly loose seat on drivers' side, the tennis ball noise, and an oil change). Several days later, the dealer called and said the car was ready. I went in, quickly reviewed the invoice and noticed no oil change was done - "Oh sorry, I guess we missed that" was the reply, "would you like your car washed?"........"Oh sorry, it's not working". grumble grumble. I went to drive off, tilted the steering wheel down to where I like it, and the airbag light came on. I went back in and told the service writer and he said that the repair was not finished because a part was still on "rush overnight order" and would call when it comes in and that I could wait for the repair as it would only take a minute. For the tennis ball noise, they did a suspension/steering/align. It almost fixed one side and did nothing to the other side. I did mention the TSB when I dropped off the car so why didn't they do the bushing/collar replacement? This was August 15. Haven't heard from them about the part. :sick: Going to another dealer to start over again. Luckilly we have more than one from which to choose. I originally chose this dealer because they also do Lincolns and I figured the service would be great. I hope everyone else has had better luck with their dealer and that this was just a fluke. Still love the car though - just not the dealer.
  • amandoamando Member Posts: 4
    Hi

I've been happily enjoying my new Amanti, which I purchased a little over a month ago.

Can someone tell me how, or point me to a site, on how to use the sportamatic feature? :confuse:

Thanks

Amando Mi Amanti
  • harrier2harrier2 Member Posts: 32
    verveka.....by any chance is you dealer in or near Sunnyvale Ca??????????? If so I have been going to this dealer for some time and have had very good service...just checking so that I might have to be cautious and extra alert during my next visit ;)
    :blush:
    Hi amando!
    Glad you like your new Amanti and welcome. I have mine for almost two years now and still love it.
    The Sportmatic transmission you asked about, can be used to downshift or upshift your gears manually. This overrides the automatic transmission's control (which usually does a very good job on it's own). It's not something you would use all the time, but from time to time, I like to downshift for more power and stay in the lower gear for better performance to pass other cars more quickly. In other words, if done right, your car will be faster, than by just letting your transmission do the shifting on it's own.
    Having said that. It will not improve your economy.
    If you experiment and drive down a road at 50 MPH and move the shifter over to the right, you can move the shifter to the "-" side. That will downshift to the 4th gear (indicated on your instrument cluster) and hold it there until you change it or the car slows down too much and will still downshift to protect the engine. If you step on the gas, you will notice acceleration a little more brisk than if you just stepped on the gas in "D". If you do it again, -moving the selector to the "-", it will go to the next lower (3rd) gear. Pushing the shifter to the "+" will shift it up to the next gear and so on.
    On the other hand, if you just step on the gas pedal while in "D", depending on how hard you step on the gas, the transmission will downshift automatically. This is better for most everyday use and more efficient.
    It's a fun feature to have and I use it many times in traffic to squeeze into spots were I have to be quick.
    If you want, you can start in 2nd gear by pushing the selector to the "+" when you start to drive from a standstill. This is good in slippery weather during the winter.
    I don't need to do that here in Florida! :shades:
    I hope this helps a little!
    -Pete
  • buffbuff Member Posts: 38
    extremely dirty the rest are ok. Just had my car detailed and they said they cannot get it out. I wear lots of black to work and the driver seat is getting terrible. Never had this problem with other cars. Does anyone know what I can use. I love my car have about 11,000 miles. I got it on labor day almost one year ago. It is running great. Thanks in advance for anyone's help. Buff
  • stockchaserstockchaser Member Posts: 56
    I have had my Amanti since May,'04 and have 13,700 miles. I had it to the dealer four times to fix the front-end clunk. They replaced the struts and bushings and it didn't help. They did whatever the TSB said to do, and that didn't do anything. Finally, I took it back a fifth time, the day before yesterday. The mechanic and I went for a drive. It clunked like clockwork. The mechanic literally took the whole front end apart and reassembled it according to factory specs. No more clunk. First time since I owned the vehicle.! I hope it stays "fixed" this time! I'm so excited to have a quiet ride!
    Also, today, my battery went dead and they put in a new one. AND, I had a new custom grill installed. It's vertical chrome "slats" much like the Jag has. It's beautiful.
    Love my Amanti!
    Congratulations Daniel. I've got the same colour as yours and as a Canadian model it comes loaded, with no options. My dealer tells me that for 2006 there will be two levels of specs on the Canadian Amanti, but again I suspect there will be no options. Our market is just too small to support the inventory that optioned vehicles would require.

You're going to enjoy your Amanti, believe me, and over the next little while you're going to discover all sorts of little thoughtful features that will make you smile. I think it's a great car and all of my friends agree. Yes, the fuel economy isn't great, but you get so much for your buck that paying a little more for gas is worth it compared to anything else that you compare the Amanti to.

One question, Daniel: is your steering wheel all leather? The American Amantis that I've seen have a leather steering wheel whereas in Canada it's a composite wheel of woodgrain plus leather that looks like a million bucks. I wonder why that wheel isn't available in the US. But since you're close to the border....

MagMax
    Hi Stockchaser, Glad to hear that the clonk has disappeared. So far mine hasn't had the problem so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'd really like to see a picture of the custom grille that you've had installed. Could you post a picture of it?

MagMax
    I'll be happy to post a picture, but I have no idea how to do it. First I'll have my son take a picture with his digital camera........I don't own one. Then what do I do?
    I've searched the internet and the grille is called a "billet grille"........it's custom made for many vehicles, and believe me, on the Amanti, it looks awesome! I'll see about that picture.
    Ok, try this link. The first picture may be distorted, but click on the image for a larger picture and the distortion goes away. (Be sure to maximize the photo)When a friend of mine saw my new grill, he called and made an appointment to get one immediately! It completely changes the look. Amazing. By the way, I met another Amanti owner that had a performance muffler installed....it has two tailpipes coming out of the muffler, and he said it increased his gas mileage by two miles per gallon. Not much, but it ads up. I went to the muffler shop and was told it is a "nonrestrictive" muffler. Allows for more freeflow and less work for the engine. I'm getting one next week.
    http://www.precisiongrilles.com/?page=view_parts&cat=24&partNum=886220
    Hi all!
    Hey that grill looks very cool to say the least!! I will definitely consider one for mine also!!

I put a little something together for everyone. Here it is!

With the current bad world fuel situation and Amanti's mediocre fuel consumption, I thought it might be good idea to re-look at our on board computer (for those that have this option) and how it can help us save fuel. I think it is fair to say everyone knows about the temperature display. But, how many of us use some of the other neat features? I have used only a few so far, and the computer instructions that came with my car were not that thorough and clear so I never knew what some of these functions meant or even use properly. After living with the car for awhile though, I think I've figured out what they're all about. So, I'm hopeful that I might help some of the other owners who also have not used their on board computer as efficiently as perhaps they could have.

Here are some of my following observations:

Temp) Let's start with the outside temperature. I think this is self explanatory, although I might mention for those that might not know it, that it can display C° and F°. Press and hold the "reset" button until it changes.

Range) The next feature is the estimated mileage range based on the average fuel consumption and the amount of fuel in your tank. When it drops to 30 miles it will no longer indicate and you better get some fuel soon! :blush:

Trip) The next feature is a trip odometer. If you want to use this one instead of the two available on your instrument cluster, you can. Don't forget to re-set it at the beginning of your trip.

Avg MPH) Average MPH is next and indicates you average MPH. I'm assuming that is accumulative and does not reset itself whenever you re-start the engine.

Avg MPG) Now comes the feature I really like and use now to improve my mileage . When this is activated and reset to zero, it will start to inform you of your average MPG. You will see how by maintaining a steady speed your mileage climbs. For example, I achieved 20.0 average mpg and then just waiting at a red light for about a minute, it dropped to 19.6. Driving habits might improve if you keep an eye on these numbers.

Inst MPG) The next feature is instant mpg which is cool but not as helpful as average as it goes all over the place based on instantaneous driving. It will give you an idea as to what your instant driving habits add to your fuel consumption, though.

Timer) The last feature is a timer that starts timing when you reset it. I guess this elapses the driving time on a given trip. I used it when I ordered food and it was to be ready in 25 minutes. ;)

I'm just starting to focus on this cool computer and learning about this as I go along, so if anybody else has further information that I may have missed, screwed up or just has some more insight, that would be helpful.

Thanks all!, Pete
    Pete--thanks for the explanation--I'll try it out and see what happens. Armando.
    Hi--since this is the first car I've ever owned with a leather interior, what can I do/should I do to keep the leather looking like new? I have no idea about what I can or can't put on it so any advice will be really appreciated. Thanks.
  • buffbuff Member Posts: 38
    Hi Amando: I just posted that my drivers seat is very dirty looking. I think its from by black suits and slacks that I wear to work. I had it detailed and they said they could not get it out. I am wondering if the leather is ok I am going to bring it in for an oil change and show them. I will let you know what they say. I have had other cars(many) with leather seats and this never happened. Take care I do love my amanti. Best Wishes with yours. Buff
  • vervekaverveka Member Posts: 9
    Nope, my dealer is in Northern Virginia. I haven't had the time/nerve to get to the other dealer to see if I get better service but will attempt to go into it with a positive attitude. I have curtailed driving my Amanti this week in an attempt to save fuel and am driving my harsh, boring other car that gets better mileage. Sure miss it but have been getting 15.5 mpg running around in town and that's not good enough. Maybe I should leave town on a highway trip since I get decent mileage on the highway.
  • snoursnour Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,
    I have a 2005 Opirus, which as most of you know is the Asian version of the Amanti.
    I’m totally in love with my car, but I have one concern regarding the ESP. The other day I was driving on curvy road at 120 km/h with ESP on, however when I’m going through a curve the ESP off light will start blinking and I can feel a power drawback.

This will only happen while going on curves at high speed, I asked the dealer who said it was normal and it’s the way the ESP functions. Honestly I’m not so sure of what he said, specially since I got the ESP off light coming on three times while driving on normal road at low speed.

Does any one have experience in ESP? or can confirm any of the above?

Thanks.
  • lovemyamantilovemyamanti Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the encouraging words everyone! MagMax, my steering wheel is all leather. I've seen photos of the steering wheel such as you have, and agree it looks sharp. I think I would have preferred the dark woodgrain instead of the rather light appearance for the trim, as the darker seems a bit classier to me. But, it looks sharp the way it is, so guess all is well. I really like the looks of the new grill, Stockchaser. I thought about trying the electrical tape that Topgear came up with, but now I'll have to consider something such as that. Oh, and the dual tailpipes idea sounds great, especially since it'll bump up the mpg slightly. Has anyone hear tried using one of those Tornado air vortex units or anything similar? Just curious if they really help with fuel efficiency. Take care everyone!!
    Daniel :)
    I'm enjoying my coffee and reading the morning newspaper when I saw an ad from one of the Kia dealers saying they are overstocked with 05 Amantis. It says leather for $18,900, which is after the $2000 rebate, $311 monthly. The killer is they say up to 32 mpg highway. Never have I gotten that. The most is 20, or 20.9, using regular grade.

As for the grill, how much did it cost? I assume they ship it to you and you have someone (or the dealer) install it?
    Bill - Orlando
  • captainbobcaptainbob Member Posts: 17
    hello from captain bob we just returned from a 4118 mile trip fort myers to ottawa and round abouts visiting.over the entire trip we got 25.8 mpg that is city and highway ,the constant highway travel we got from 28.9 to 30.1 to a top of 32 mpg.that is not by the computer but exact by pencil and paper ,fuel in galons into mileage driven.the secret to good fuel economy is dont drive like a jack rabbit and stay under 70 We set the cruise control at 68 dont worry about police traps and let the hot rods pass us .we get to the same destination with in 20 minutes and no stress.we have over 21thousand miles on the 2004 Amanti and it is the best car we have ever owned .we visited a dealer onvacation they owned a ford dealership as well as the kia .his wife preffered the Amanti over the ford 500 .does that say anything?this car gets stares and people asking what is it.You are going to enjoy your choice ,you all made great decisions ,now drive consertively on regular gas and have a wonderful holiday by the way gas here is now $3.10 a gal. regular