Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Danny Clements is quoted as saying that Lexus is taking a page from the BMW pagebook. Normally in the past, Lexus introduced new sheet metal and new engines at the same time. BMW staggers them, introducing new sheet metal and new engines at different times (e.g., forthcoming change in 5 series engine). From now on, according to Clements, Lexus will do the same. This is the formal rationale for switching GS engines in midstream (or earlier than midstream).
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    They're pretty convinced the smaller engines will start us off.

DrFill
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    It's not a bad idea to stagger engines, but wouldn't it cost more to do it in pieces than in one fell swoop? If the GS has the same engines, I can't exactly predict a good aura of the new GS to the public, who will not know about the new engines until later.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Stagger the engines. Release them in one fell swoop. Denny says one thing about following BMW formula, and then says another about releasing new sheet metal with new engines. Which to believe ? What the heck is going on at Lexus Corporate ?
    In 1997, they released the GS with two engines stronger than any offered by the 5-series ir E-class, they had a good two years, than faded fast.

What I've heard is they will introduce something new to the line every 18 months to keep it fresh.

I think it will have a hybrid, then a 3.5, that will make 4 different engines. Then a peformance package, in the L-tuned vain.

Thet're thinking the new design will spike sales until the next engine is ready. The 2006 S-Class may do the same.

I'm surprised they can't tweak the 4.3 anymore.

DrFill
  • jones5jones5 Member Posts: 8
    Firstly, is it the GS300, GS330, or GS350 for the 2006 model? And secondly, I was wondering if anyone knows the 0-60 mp/h time or 0-100 km/h time for the AWD GS3-- model?
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    The 0-60 time for the GS300AWD is 6.9 seconds, according to Lexus "Product Information".
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Member Posts: 202
    We may be giving corporate Lexus too much credit in thinking they crafted this potential shock and awe 3.5L GS intro next month. I suspect they are just sloppy about giving too much press concerning the August Japanese introduction of the GS350 and stingy in not giving enough information about the March US GS300 introduction.

Our wishful thinking about getting the 3.5L now plus the respect for the past success of Lexus gets the best of us at times.
    Anybody know the prices of the RWD 2006 GS300 and AWD GS300? My dad currently has a 2002 GS300 and has ordered a 2006 AWD GS300......so I want to know the price diff approx.

If you know the Canadian prices that would be cool...Otherwise I'll do the USD to CAD conversions myself
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    1. Tight turning circle: 34.1 ft.

2. 0-60 6.8 sec; 1/4 mile: 15.4 sec. I'll believe it when I see it.

3. EPA mileage: 22/30. Better than the competition & current model

4. Trunk room: 12.7 cu. ft. Why so small?

5. weight: 3,536; nearly 500 lbs lighter than the RL (AWD)

6. options: If you want Mark Levinson, it looks like you've got to take the NAV bundled with it.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    "I'm surprised they can't tweak the 4.3 anymore"

I dont think its "cant". A monkey should be able to get more than an extra 15ft.lbs of torque and no hp from an extra 300cc. Perhaps its they dont want to dip below a certain mpg? Or perhaps they feel that 300\325 is "enough for now". I believe the LS is still soldering on with 290hp.
  • gthiel1gthiel1 Member Posts: 3
    Press Release Source: Lexus

Third-Generation GS Luxury Sports Sedan Brings New Lexus Design to Market; Raises Bar on Performance, Comfort, Luxury and Safety

Tuesday February 1, 12:00 pm ET

TORRANCE, Calif., Feb. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- Lexus elevated the bar once again, with the launch of the next-generation 2006 GS 300 and GS 430 performance sedans. With the start of production, the all-new GS is ready to deliver using the latest in advanced design and technology to raise performance, comfort, safety and luxury to new levels. The new GS is also the first in a new wave of Lexus products to reflect a new, more passionate direction in styling.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We think the new GS' engaging, emotional design by itself will create strong desire for the car," said Denny Clements, Lexus group vice president and general manager. "And the unexpected levels of performance, luxury and comfort will surprise and delight anyone that drives it."

The newly expressive GS family combines available all-wheel drive (GS 300 only) for the first time in a Lexus passenger car, with a powerful new 3.0-liter V6 engine, new dynamic and safety technology and a long list of comfort and luxury features in a right-sized package. A new 6-speed automatic transmission is used with both the new V6 and the proven 4.3 liter V8, which accelerates from 0-60 mph in only 5.7 seconds.

New Lexus Design Direction

From an architectural standpoint, the GS marks a move towards a more sculptural direction ... that is artistic, dynamic, simple ... yet intriguing. A two-inch longer wheelbase and a one-inch wider rear track create a wide, powerful stance. A long hood, pulled-back cabin and short rear deck recall classic sports car proportions while the vertical grille surrounded by four independent headlamps connects the new GS with the outgoing model, but with a futuristic look. The front also features an aggressive lower valance with integrated fog lamps. Dynamic 18-inch aluminum wheels with wide, low-profile tires on the GS 430 help tie the muscular yet elegant look together (new 17-inch aluminum wheels are standard on GS 300).

The creation of a unique spatial feeling in the passenger compartment is central to the new Lexus design direction.

The interior of the new GS has a precision, luxury feel with ultra-premium wood, polished metal and leather accents. Everything inside the GS is designed and styled to create a haven for peaceful comfort and harmonious interaction, with touch points that convey quality and controls that respond with confidence.

Intuitive Inside

Going beyond design and color, the interior of the new GS also aims to make drivers and passengers feel at one with the car by providing an intuitive and naturally comfortable environment. It begins with the Smart Access keyless entry and new push-to-start ignition system that allows the driver to keep the access fob in their pocket or purse. A comprehensive interior lighting system provides just the right amount of light where driver and passengers need it.

A secure and distraction-free setting allows the driver to get the most from the considerable performance of the car. A new gauge cluster was developed that features machined aluminum facings. In order to minimize reflections from their faces, a unique lighting system uses variable transparency glass to help optimize visibility in all lighting conditions-from bright sun to dark of night. The gauges also feature a quick-response tachometer that moves more directly in concert with changes in engine rpm.

A hidden but easily accessed dash panel on the left side of the steering wheel reveals buttons and switches that are not frequently needed when driving in order to simplify the driver's view. Multi-adjustable front seats feature standard heating and optional fan ventilation, while an electronic tilt/telescoping steering wheel helps ensure a comfortable fit. The standard Regency leather-trimmed seats are supportive and comfortably contoured for long trip support.

First All-Wheel Drive Lexus Passenger Car

Significantly, the new GS 300 features available all-wheel-drive, the first such application in any Lexus passenger car. The new AWD system uses a wet-type multi-disc clutch and planetary gear set in the transfer case. The system employs an electronic control strategy that takes inputs from driver activity such as steering and throttle angle, combined with vehicle signals from wheel speed and yaw rate sensors.

Hydraulic controls are also employed to vary the front/rear torque split ratio from 30/70 to 50/50. This arrangement allows the traditional performance advantages of a rear-drive vehicle to remain with the confidence of all-wheel traction when needed.

Ultra-Advanced Dynamics

A completely new suspension system draws on the highest engineering principles to bring new levels of performance, comfort and fun to the GS driving experience. Both front and rear suspensions employ optimized geometry to virtually eliminate unwanted wheel angle changes during suspension movement. The result is a natural, confident feel that's also spirited.

An Adaptive Variable Suspension in the GS 430 automatically selects appropriate suspension damping for driving conditions while allowing the driver to select a sport mode for a tighter, more precise feel.

The new GS 430 offers the performance enhancements and advanced vehicle control of the Lexus Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system. VDIM is an all-new system that integrates and manages a new Electronically Controlled Brake system (ECB), Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS), Electronic Power Steering (EPS), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), ABS, Brake Assist (BA), Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and engine torque via the electronically controlled throttle.

Monitoring a variety of sensors, the system is designed to anticipate the onset of a vehicle skid or slide and then help correct the situation with a combination of braking, throttle and steering control in a way that's essentially transparent to the driver. Data is gathered from more sources and processed earlier and faster than previous designs, helping to make VDIM less obtrusive yet highly effective.

Intelligent and Powerful Brakes

A powerful new braking system combines several leading-edge technologies that by themselves provide superior braking performance. But when combined with new dynamics technology such as EPS and VGRS and managed by VDIM in the GS 430, braking performance improved substantially.

It starts with new mechanical components that significantly increase brake friction and improve stopping power, while effectively eliminating brake fade. Anti-lock Brakes (ABS), Brake Assist (BA) and Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) help make the best use of the newfound power. The new Electronic Controlled Brake (ECB) system in the GS 430 translates the driver's effort precisely into effective stopping power. VDI
    VDIM's ability to provide overall management of all these systems maximizes brake performance and vehicle stability in virtually any driving situation.

V6 Performance Redefined

Joining the GS 430's potent and refined 4.3-liter V8, is an all-new 3.0-liter, 245-horsepower V6 engine replacing the inline six in the GS 300. The new V6 uses a new direct fuel injection system that offers much finer fuel mixture control to improve both power and fuel economy. "Dual" variable valve timing technology that acts on both intake and exhaust valves further enhances performance through a wide rpm range. The result is a wide, flat torque curve that provides crisp throttle response and quick acceleration at virtually any engine speed.

Measures to reduce internal friction such as chain drive for the camshafts and roller rockers to operate the valves, contribute its superior fuel economy of 22 mpg city and 30 mpg highway. The new V6 also achieves an EPA-certified Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV) emissions rating.

New 6-Speed Automatic

Both the powerful V6 and V8 engines benefit from an intelligent all-new close-ratio 6-speed automatic transmission with a sequential manual-shifting mode. The combination provides faster and substantially smoother acceleration for even better performance and, surprisingly, improved fuel economy. And like the latest LS 430, the new automatic also uses a special transmission fluid that never needs to be checked or replaced.

New Intelligent Luxury Sport Sedan

In addition to a new look and feel, the new GS also improves upon the increasingly complex nature of automotive technology. The GS offers numerous standard features such as Bluetooth(R) wireless telephone capability and a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPM) that can detect and notify the driver via an indicator warning light of a significant loss in pressure in one or more tires. The GS will also feature the Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS), which helps illuminate a curve as the driver steers into it.

A rear back-up camera is also added for 2006, helping to provide an extra margin of confidence when reversing the vehicle. Available in conjunction with the optional navigation system, it automatically projects an image of what the camera lens can detect behind the vehicle onto the navigation screen when the vehicle is in the reverse gear.

The GS will also be available with Intuitive Park Assist which uses ultrasonic sensors to detect the presence of objects close by and warn the driver of their proximity.

Although currently available in the Lexus LS 430 and LX 470, the GS takes the idea a step further by adding a steering input sensor to help the system better judge changes in distance to objects. "With the new GS we took all that was good in terms of technology and found ways to make it more intuitive, more intelligent and more relevant to the needs of its driver," said Clements.

Advanced Safety Features

The GS will also offer an optional Pre-Collision System (PCS) that can help reduce collision damage. The system uses a millimeter-wave radar sensor to help detect obstacles in front of the car and a pre-collision system computer with vehicle speed, steering angle and yaw rate inputs that help to determine in advance whether a collision is unavoidable. It then switches the AVS to "Sport" mode, preemptively retracts front seat belts and pre-initializes Brake Assist so that increased braking is applied the instant the brake pedal is depressed. The system also incorporates "Active Braking" which will automatically apply the brakes up to a deceleration of 0.3 Gs in the event the driver fails to react to system warnings.

In addition, the new GS gains new knee airbags for the driver and front passenger as well as front and rear side curtain airbags as standard equipment. The Supplemental Restraint System in the new GS also includes variable-force front airbags for both driver and front passenger. Sensors determine the severity of the accident and in turn the force with which to deploy the front airbags, helping to provide an appropriate level of occupant restraint.

"Nearly every feature on the GS makes this sports sedan more manageable and more engaging to drive," said Clements.

Mind-Expanding Audio Systems

A refined standard premium audio system brings more power and three new speakers to the 2006 GS and uses an Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL) to maintain consistent sound levels at varying vehicle speeds.

Music aficionados will appreciate the newest generation of the optional Mark Levinson audio system in the new GS. Using a 7.1 channel speaker architecture, this leading-edge design uses 11 channels of amplification with a total of 330 watts playing through 14 speakers to bring a major new dimension to automotive audio systems.

The Mark Levinson audio also takes advantage of DVD audio and video technology, allowing users to play both conventional CDs and DVDs. DVD movies can be viewed on the color 7-inch touch screen when the vehicle is parked.

Luxury Alive in the Details

Newly optional ventilated front seats and a power rear sunshade work in concert with the standard dual-zone climate control that filters and deodorizes the air to keep occupants comfortable.

An upgraded navigation system offers more than 6 million points of interest (POI). The multi-information display makes key information readily available and easy to see.

Rich new exterior colors and interior wood and leather selections coupled with the Lexus' boldest design to date make choosing the right GS luxury sport sedan more intriguing than ever before.

The all-new 2006 Lexus GS luxury sport sedans go on sale in early March. Prices begin at $42,900 for the GS 300, $44,850 for the GS 300 AWD, and $51,125 for the GS 430.

This should have answered many of your questions!
    Now leather is standard, the back seat is bigger, the engine (V6) and tranny are better, the car is more efficient, the rear-end styling is better (I have questions about the front), and AWD is available for under $45k, the value quotient is higher, but not tremendously.

The RL is $4k more, but MUCH more powerful.

It is better looking than the M, but won't be as fast.

The pricing is decent. I'd have the 430 at $49995, and the 300 has leather standard, so I guess that price is alright.

The way Lexus has handled this still has my head spinning, but I'm sure it will get better.

DrFill
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    The GS is about $2500 to $3000 more than the M for comparably equipped models.

I am very impressed with the weight of the GS. About the same weight as the 5 series, but with more legroom.

One thing about the M is that it's kinda heavy. If they could have found some way to shed some weight on that thing, it'll be even faster. Not that it really needs to be at 5.3s/6.3s, but it's always fun. =)
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    "The GS is about $2500 to $3000 more than the M for comparably equipped models."

How do you know this? Where have option prices for the GS been posted?

~alpha
    The engine displacements are now FINAL, I believe for the 06 GS. Sucks ! That's about all I can say.
    "The RL is $4k more, but MUCH more powerful."

The RL is also a porker, and not any faster.
    But Americans buy HP, or more accurately, are sold on HP.

Having sat in the RL, it is rather cozy inside, so the GS doesn't need to be a Deville to win the Final Frontier.

The RL's dash is quite sexy though. The dash is a big selling point for me. The GS is good.

I reckon the weight of the 430 must be around 3800, to beat the RL so easily to 60, by more than a second.

DrFill
  • tomjavatomjava Member Posts: 136
    I'm impressed with its new engine, EPA mileage: 22/30. IMO, GS300 is going to sell very well.
    Lexus options/packages are somewhat different for each region.

- 2006 GS300 RWD -

Base: $42,900

Premium Package: $45,335

Rain Sensing Wipers

Adaptive Front Lighting System/Headlamp Cleaners

Moonroof

Power Rear Sunshade

Ventilated Front Seats

Intuitive Park Assist

Fully Loaded: $49,865

Mark Levinson Stereo

Navigation System

- 2006 GS430 -

Base: $51,125

Fully Loaded: $57,490

Mark Levinson Stereo

Navigation System

Rear Spoiler

Rain Sensing Wipers/Headlamp Cleaners

Moonroof

Power Rear Sunshade

Ventilated Front Seats

Intuitive park Assist

All prices do NOT include destination charge. Radarcruise will only come with PCS, which is not available on the intials models. Satellite radio is an accessory.
    Thanks jrock for providing these pricing numbers.

GS300AWD fully loaded @ $50K !

GS430 fully loaded at $57,5K !!

IMO, these are quite high prices for what Lexus is delivering with carryover motor (430) and a lower displacement 3L vs the competition. Looks like a final nail in the coffin for sales of the GS430 ! The 3.5L/4.6L versions better hurry up and arrive here in the US quick otherwise, I don't see how Lexus will compete against the Bimmer, M, TL or RL.

How many would pony up ~$60K for a GS430 ?
    oac,

No problem.

------------------

The $50k fully loaded price is for the GS300 RWD.

Fully loaded price for the GS300 AWD is more like $52,500.

I don't know when PCS with radarcruise will be available or how much it'll be. I'm guessing at least $1000?
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I think the same people who would pay $60K for a loaded STS would consider paying $60K for a GS430.
    The model will hold to form, and sell well, initially. 0-60 in under 7 sec (300), and under 6 seconds (430) are competitive, if not startling.

Lexus knows it has to upgrade withing 2 years, or else the model dies.

We won't be disappointed, again.

Clements has been talking up a storm on this model. He doesn't seem like a man who likes to eat his words.

In the press release for the ML 5.1, he said he wanted the GS to be best in class in EVERY aspect!

DRFill
  • simpson556simpson556 Member Posts: 14
    I don't know, I'm very disapointed in this new GS. The price is far too high for what you get. With the M35 racking up impressive reviews and coming in at $39k, or $42 WITH sport package (and 19" wheels vs. 300 w/17), the realatively weak gs300 at $45k suddenly looks very vunerable.

You can get a new M45 starting at $46k, with a v8 and over 330hp, for what a moderatly equipped Gs300 is.

As many have said, what is Lexus thinking?
  • ckelly14ckelly14 Member Posts: 105
    I believe that the GS 300 will have solid initial sales. Although many on the forum are close to suicidal due to the lack of the 3.5 engine, I bet that most prospective GS 300 won't have a clue that such an engine exists, or care. A 245 HP GS is, superficially at least, close enough to a 225 HP BMW 5-series or a 255 HP Audi A6 to be a non-issue to most Lexus buyers. However, I don't see Lexus expanding on their market share. The old GS was a bargain compared to the Germans in the past (~41 K with premium pack); the 2006 GS300 is priced almost exactly the same as an Audi A6. I'll have to drive it...
    1st Ting: If you can get around the....original looks of the M, it is a fantastic value, and great performer. And it's priced where the GS probably should be.

Number 2 Ting: Is Infiniti enough of a factor to hurt Lexus sales? Many consider Infiniti 2nd rate, and Lexus a step up, so they will sacrifice some performance.

Maybe.

If the GS gets good reviews, and is more fun (300) than the last, the back seat is bigger, the rear end is better, it will sell until the true killers arrive.

DrFill
    Deep down you know it, that these GS twins are certainly NOT Lexus' best response to the market, especially with the competition so fierce and the market so finicky.

You may apologize and make excuses for Lexus, but the fact remains they are probably shooting themselves in the foot with these configurations and especially the pricing.

Only time will tell how this will turn out, but if I were Infiniti, I'll be sleeping very soundly and licking my chops against these GS models.
    jrock- Thank you for the pricing info.

simpson-when i go to the Infiniti website, I can't configure an M35 Sport for less than $43,910. The base price before destination is $42,710. The M35 w/o Sport Pkg is $39,900 before destination.

While I do think the M35 is a better value than the GS300, for example, I feel that some on this board are exaggerating the differences. And of course, I dont think many of us have driven either, and we dont have any reviews of the Lexus yet...

For now though, I'm awestruck by what Infiniti has done with the M.

~alpha
    I agree, this is the best Lexus could come up with, after 7 (!) years of the current GS? How long have the "concept" pictures of the 2006 GS been out? Over a year now I'm pretty sure. All this time of trying to excite the market, and frankly a pretty blah end.

Hey, I'm a Lexus fan. I have a 2001 GS300 right now. But I'm disapointed Lexus didn't do more. I mean, where's the sport side of the coin? Not a sport package in sight, for jiminy sake!

So after 7 years of Lexus advancement, they give you 25 more HP and one extra gear in the trans from the original 1998 GS300 FROM SEVEN YEARS AGO. And from the 1998 GS400, they give you the SAME HP as then and an extra gear. This, while the competitive makes have been running a HP war that makes the 1960's look like a joke. Consider the Honda Accord, the poster child for vanilla practical transporation, gained 20% more power over the same span of years.

I really wanted to like this GS and stay in the Lexus camp. Looks like I have to at least strongly consider the M. Oh well, they take a Lexus on trade, don't they?
    alpha, granted we don't have reviews of the lexus yet. And to be fair, I haven't been able to see both cars in person yet. So I am trying to keep an open mind.

I guess I'm just bummed that after working on a new GS since 1998 this is the most competitive Lexus thought they had to be. It just doesn't seem to be that special of a car for nearly $50 large. Maybe a test drive would surprise me?
    Simpson: Good points. Measly changes after 7+ years for a lotta $$$....

I have seen the 06 GS, but not the M. From pics tho', the M is not that much better looking than the GS. I'd describe the GS as OK style-wise, so you can extrapolate my thoughts of the M styling. Infiniti won't win any styling war vs Lexus since there isn't a single Infiniti I can describe as attractive, altho' the G is the closest to being attractive and is the best-styled of the bunch, imo.
  • jfzjfz Member Posts: 45
    At the price of mid 40s for the base GS300 and high 50s for the loaded GS430, Lexus may have market-share problems for other marks than Infiniti and BMW. The 2005 Avalon and LS430 will look very attractive at each end of the price range.
    Just so you know, the Lexus RX has gained an awesome 10hp since 1998. Lexus isnt having any trouble selling them, despite the fact that the FX45, X5 4.4, and Cayenne have gobs more power. I dont think hp and torque is the first thing that Lexus shoppers really look at. The LS hardly has the most power in its class as well, but again, Lexus isnt having problems. I'm going to wait and see what the press thinks of the production car.
    News

Lexus learns from BMW example, plans to make more changes, more often to lineup

MARK RECHTIN | Automotive News

Posted Date: 2/2/05

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. -- Lexus executives are admitting they can learn something from BMW.

Typically, when Lexus redesigns a vehicle, it makes changes to the sheet metal and upgrades the engine simultaneously. BMW, on the other hand, alternates the timing of sheet metal and powertrain changes. That way, there always is something relatively new about the vehicle.

Lexus executives have taken note of this approach and will apply it where possible, said Lexus General Manager Denny Clements at a press event here.

"We don't need to do everything at once," Clements said. "We should have something newsworthy every year, and not just the paint color and headliner."

The new approach will be applied first to the redesigned 2006 Lexus GS sedan. At launch, it will use a carryover 4.3-liter V-8 engine, as well as a new 3.0-liter V-6 base engine. But Toyota has applied for trademarks for the names "GS 460" and "GS 350," which could indicate midcycle displacement increases.

"We want to keep our cars relevant, fresh and exciting, not just alive," said Andrew Coetzee, vice president of product planning for Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. "We are not going to let our powertrains just sit on the shelf."

The changes may not happen at typical times, either. In the case of the ES 330 sedan, Lexus waited just 18 months from the launch of the ES 300 to replace the engine.

Lexus also is looking at off-the-shelf technology to add every model year.

Said Clements: "If I can get a five-speed automatic up to a six-speed or can get all-wheel drive or a derivative, then I'll get it."
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Somebody really didn't handle the PR right on this. The GS350 and GS460 should have never been mentioned by anyone at Lexus, it could have GS buyers passing on the "new" GS300/430s to wait for the updated models. If they're going to take a page out of BMW's playbook they need to see how they keep engine developments quiet until at least they're close to making the actual changes. Didn't the head guy mention the GS350 and GS460 the other day at some convention or meeting like they're coming this spring?

M
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    I keep trying to fall for the new RL or GS300, but one picture keeps coming into my mind is sitting at a stop sign next to Grandpa in his $26K new avalon and knowing he can beat me to 60. Is there a pill I can take for this?
    Yes, take one dose of M35 sport, and wax him.
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    Are you sure that will work? Both have the same size engine and identical HP.
    It will. MT ran the M35 from 0-60 in 6.3 seconds, which should be at least a good half tick faster than the '05 Avalon.
  • mrdlexusmrdlexus Member Posts: 23
    I couldn't agree with you more. Why would anyone purchase an overpriced GS300 when another engine will be out within 1-2 years.

I think initial sales will be strong for the people that have to have it first, but once that initial euphoria dies down sales should be flat at best. When an educated consumer does his homework and realizes that the change to the engines will drastically hurt resale value, what would be the point.

Look at the 04/05 GS it is worth nothing, most educated shoppers knew a redesigned GS would be out soon and dealers had to discount to below invoice price just to move the cars off of the lots. My question is what price will the GS300 be selling at when the engine is replaced with the more powerful one? In my opinion Lexus made a huge mistake in both raising prices too much, and letting consumers know that the "newly redesigned" car will shortly be old school.
    Also, it's one thing if the GS350 and the GS460 will be setting a new standard in terms of power. But they won't be. They will merely be matching what is already offered from other manufacturers in terms of power.
    Mercedes seems to think that people will buy the all new S-class when a new DOHC, direct injection 4-valve V8 will be out probably a year after launch. Its hard to say how the public will react at this point.
    Toyota claims 6.6 for the new Avalon.

~alpha
    Well.. how fast can the Grandpa stab the gas pedal?
  • glenfordglenford Member Posts: 138
    I just wedge my cane between the pedal and the seat.
    although this doesn't have anything to do with the 2006 GS...I was wondering if anyone knows the 0-60 accelerations of the honda pilot, toyota highlander, and acura mdx...I would like to compare them to that of the RX330 which is about 7.7 or 7.8
    Hilarious !

A 6.6s 0-60 for an Avalon ? That's better than what my 1999 LS with the 290hp V8 5-speed auto gets (6.9s 0-60 according to Lexus). That 3.5L engine in a lithe GS will do the low low 6s 0-60.

All we gotta do is wait another 18 months for it to get here... Duh !
    Actually, the new Avalon weighs 50 pounds less than the new GS300 RWD.

And when the GS300 does become the GS350, the increase in engine size will probably add at least 50 pounds, meaning that the GS350 RWD will weight at least 100 pounds more than the Avalon.

The GS does have a 6 speed auto vs. the Avalon's 5 speed, so it does have an advantage there.