Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,567
    All I can do is agree with previous poster's impressions of the car. What stood out to me was the quietness of the cabin, the buttery soft leather seats and the lack of both headroom (especially in the back seat) and trunk room. Having owned the previous genre(2000) GS300, I found the interior of the new one evolutionary not revolutionary. The quality of the vinyl on the 06's dash and the top of the door panels seemed surprisingly cheap and inferior. The car felt sluggish compared to the '06 M35 and especially for this highly competitive $50K pricepoint. The outside of the car was nicer than expected and than my first impression at a Dec. autoshow. Overall, a nice car, although somewhat lacking.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    If the GS had shown up with a 3.5L engine and a little firmer suspension (at least as an option), I think it would have "won" today's comparison

Absolutely agree with you. Why-o-why did Lexus not bring the GS350 here this year ? They may well rue that day they decided the US market deserves a 3L motor while Japan gets the 3.5L motor!
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Posts: 692
    Ironically, the new GS is bigger on the outside but smaller on the inside. To wit:

Length increases marginally from 189.2 to 190, and width grows from 70.9 to 71.7. Meanwhile front shoulder room shrinks from 57.7 to 56.3. Likewise for rear shoulder room.

And the trunk shrinks from 14.8 cu. ft. to 12.7.

What are they thinking? Why are they doing this?
  • Call me old fashioned but I like the feel of roominess in a car, and especially like a functional trunk for golf and travel. But many mfrs. are reducing the trunk size. As examples off the top my head, the RL, STS, GS, Avalon, etc. have all lost 1.5-3 cu ft.

Much to my chagrin car mfrs are going back to form over function with the chopped back end look.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    Maybe your commentary would be more positive with the "future" GS350

Maybe. But there ain't no GS350 here to test.

Maybe the GS430 would be a better match for the M35/45?

I could not get a GS430 tester. The dealership told me they will be scarce to find, and may not be provided as a tester. But I would love to run the M45 against the GS430. That should be a closer match, I agree.

Comparing the 280HP M to the 245HP GS maybe unfair at this point, as far as driving impressions go

But I can only test what are put out. If Lexus does want to compete against the M, they better get the 350 over here quick, otherwise its lights out, goodnight GS.

Lexus need to play the HP game; that's what the market demands today, and the earlier they recognize that the better for us fans. I certainly wasn't happy to see my favorite company not step up with a competitive car in the GS300. Sure there are a lot of great things about the new GS, but Lexus skimped where it matters most - sportiness, and speed. The 6.8s for the GS300 is nothing to stand against the 6.3s for the M35, plus the M has a Sport package, while the GS has NO sport package. What gives ?

The mild upgrade in MY2007 should make things more interesting. On a good note, two GS300 were SOLD between the time I took the tester out and came back. Both retailed well over $50K. So they may sell these cars but for all the noise made by Denny Clements, methinks the car falls short of the mark.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    The SC300, the original '93 GS and the '98 version all did well originally. The test isnt if Lexus can sell any GS300s one month after it came out, its how many can they continue to sell in 2008 and beyond.
  • I think this is in the Lexus plan, to hold that round in the chamber until after the initial sales burst wears off.

They want to have something to offer in a facelift for 2007, I guess.

They'd be smart to offer a sports pkg. as well.

The word from the company is they want to sell more V8 GS, so I don't see why it's so hard to find them when people want to see them?

Seems like same old, same old to me. Very curious behavior from Lexus.

DrFill
  • Drove the '06 GS300 this weekend. Loved the drive and feel. I found the interior impressive-except for the puzzling gap in front of the console glove compartment (what’s that all about?). It has great gauges and comfortable seats, which gave me an impression of both sport and luxury. Unfortunately, the sport impression was shattered when I stepped on the gas pedal. But fortunately, I'll be draining my bank account later, rather than sooner when Lexus (hopefully) addresses this issue.....guess I'm spoiled by my wife's '05 Maxima.
  • I Have Test Driven All of the following: GS300AWD, A6, RL, STS, M-35AWD. The problem that I have noticed with the GS is that the driver's footwell is small, and there is a bump in the floor on the side of the transmission housing, that rubs up aganist my calf when you hit the gas pedal, has anyone else noticed this? I have deposits down on both the m-35 & the gs300, and I'm favoring the m-35 because of this tranmission bump. any comments?
    After test driving the GS300, I doubt those acceleration figures from Lexus. Doesn't feel that fast at all (unless the traditional Lexus silence is masking the acceleration).
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    Well, if it's something that you think will keep bothering you, you probably shouldn't get it. That seems like that it could be a make it or break it issue for some ppl.
  • pearlpearl Posts: 336
    re small driver's footwell on GS. Yes, I noticed that too during my test drive, but forgot to note it when I wrote about it earlier in this thread. In my opinion, that would become an issue on any sort of longer drive where you want some room to move feet/legs around a bit. I still think the GS is a great car, but could have been a grand slam home run right out of the gate with a little more attention to details and power.
  • boomsamaboomsama Posts: 362
    So is the GS the smallest car in its class?
  • Is small in back.

The 5 is no Avalon either.

Drfill
  • drtraveldrtravel Posts: 395
    Some facts:

2004 GS 300 weighed 3,649 lbs had 220 hp @ 5,800 and 220 lb-ft @ 3,800

2006 GS 300 weighs 3,536 lbs has 245 hp @ 6,200 and 230 lb-ft @ 3,600

The 2006 GS 300 hp/lb ratio increased by 15% and the tor/lb ratio increased by 7% - is this enough for Lexus to claim that the 0-60 time dropped from 7.8 seconds to 6.8 seconds?

The 2006 M35 hp/lb ratio is 5.5% better than the GS and the tor/lb ratio is 8% better. The M35 does 0-60 in 6.3 seconds.
  • And torque curves.

And in some cases, # of tranny speeds.

Even the tires can enhance acceleration times!

Good to know the Lexus lost weight.

DrFill
    Lexus is probably puffing up the acceleration figures for the new GS300 because they did so for the previous GS.

For example, for '04 GS300, Lexus claimed 1/4 mile in 15.8, but the best Car & Driver could do was 16.1, and Consumer Reports, when they originally tested the car, got only 16.8

Same for 0-60, Lexus claiming 7.8, but C&D recorded 8.0 even and CR only 8.8.

So Lexus' claim for the new GS are undoubtedly optimistic. That was my seat-of-the-pants impression when I drove it.

By the way, the final gear ratio in the new GS is virtually the same as previously.
  • adb3adb3 Posts: 112
    Seems like folks are trying hard to find reasons not to like the new GS. Well that's ok. And if Infiniti (M45/35) is now your choice du jour, that's ok too. When I pick up my 430 next week, it will be good to experience a little "exclusiveness" for awhile. Now if only the new GS could get a few bad reviews from the car mags....
  • pearlpearl Posts: 336
    I'm not so sure that most people here are "trying hard to find reasons not to like the new GS", but rather posting their comments now that they have finally had a chance to see/drive the car. I very much like the new GS; however, like all of its competitors (RL, M, A6, E350, STS, etc) have found some things about it that I didn't know about until now. In my opinion, all of these are very nice cars, but all have some "flaws" depending upon your individual taste and desires. Some people will see one of these and love it more than the others immediately, with the flaws seen by others being inconsequential to them. I think that after all of these cars are out and can easily be driven and compared by those looking to buy, maybe one or more will emerge as "better" - but I doubt it. They are all very good, the "best" most likely being in the eye of the beholder. Enjoy your 430 - you got a great car.
  • adb3adb3 Posts: 112
    Good points...certainly not attempting to devalue others opinions...even though I do believe there's a little nit-picking going on, particularly concerning HP. But alas, everyone has their boat floated a little differently...and are free to express their likes or dislikes. For me, Lexus has hit the right marks with sportier but elegant styling, a jewel-like and ergonomically sound interior presentation, and crisper and more sure-footed handling. But most importantly it's a Lexus because I want a car I can drive, not admire from afar in my dealer's garage while the mechanics are trying to resolve maintenance issues.