Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Yes the E320 will become the "E350", most likely this fall. However the new E350 won't be using the old 3.7L SOHC engine from the ML350, as that was just a stopgap engine for the ML350, S350 and SL350, the latter two only sold in Europe. The new E350 will use the brand-new DOHC, direct-injection, 24V 3.5L V6 in the new SLK350. This engine produces 268hp. The old SOHC engines are being phased out, this includes the 2.6L, 3.2L and 3.7L V6s in various Mercedes models. There is also a new 3.0L version (220hp) of this new V6 coming. This engine will eventually power the C300 (replaces the C240) and SLK300. There might even be a E300, but I doubt it (price). The C-Class sadly *may not* see these new engines before production ends for the current model in 2006-07.

I hope no one on this board is under the impression that BMW doesn't have new and more powerful I6s coming for this segment. BMW, like Honda is very good at getting a good bit more hp out of a few ccs.

M
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Cadillac's turn around is coming from the CTS, STS, SRX (but mostly Escalade) not the Deville. They'll never be able to sell a single one outside of the USA, and I think Cadillac will want to do that, so Im willing to bet that a future RWD platform for the.. DTS? Is very likely.

I would expect to start seein AWD options on more and more Honda cars, which is as close as you're going to get to RWD on a Honda. Well except for the next NSX.

Toyota actually has a ton of RWD platforms. Even if you dont count trucks, the IS, GS, and LS are three right there. A new Supra (RWD) is expected, as well as an all new IS, and I dont think the SC shares its RWD platform with other Lexus cars.

I guess if the E and A6 have new six cylinders, a new six from BMW is inevitable. They are not so stupid as to lose a hp war with their archrivals. The new M5 is BMW's "bring your turbos and superchargers, we'll beat you anyway" response to the "lowly" E55, RS6.
  • mascmasc Member Posts: 21
    There's been a lot of talk around of a 3.5L V6 in the making from Toyota. But does anyone haf a site they can refer to confirm the truth of these rumours? However, in my point of view a new mid-size engine from Toyota is really unessesary. There is already the new 3.3L V6 (with 225-230hp) that is replacing the old 3.0L in Toyota and Lexus FWD vehicles. And the NEW 3.0L V6 (with 245hp) that debuted in the new GS and the new Crown that is most definitely in place to take over the remaining mid-size inline6's from the GS and IS. Then why come out with a new 3.5L engine if there are already 2 engines in this category that are more than capable to run in this class?
    Good question. I've heard rumors of a new 3.5L engine as well, but I have no idea as to whether or not such an engine actually exists. I dont think it does, as most of these posts seem to be refering to a GS350, which I know wont happen.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    merc1,

So, I am guessing there will be a C300 and a C350?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Because of TownHall rules, I cant post a direct link to the site which more or less proves the existence that Toyota has a 3.5L in the wings, to debut relatively soon.

But I will tell you the source is a TMMK employee, and the information he presented was based on a memo sent to the V6 Powertrains unit, which indicated the phase out of the Toyota 3.0L engine (now currently used only in the Camry and Avalon), and the introduction of a 3.5L V6 for the 2006 Avalon and Camry. It would appear then, that this V6 is intended for use in the Camry platforms, and not Toyota's RWD offerings, though I suppose its all just speculation at this point. Therefore, this new 3.5L V6 may or may not be relevant to all the engine discussion here.

Also, it is not yet know whether Toyota's 3.3L 230 horse V6 was a stop-gap measure that will eventually be replaced by this new 3.5L, or if both will run concurrently. (It was, after all, not a "new" design, but rather a bored out 3.0L).

That said, Toyota has already announced that the GS will be introduced with the all-new, lightweight, 245 hp 3.0L V6 as its standard engine coupled with a 6 speed auto. I would agree that speculation of a GS350 seems moot.

~alpha
    alpha01,

"That said, Toyota has already announced that the GS will be introduced with the all-new, lightweight, 245 hp 3.0L V6 as its standard engine coupled with a 6 speed auto. I would agree that speculation of a GS350 seems moot."

don't you think it's kind of weird for Lexus to be introducing a smaller 3.0L V6 in a car more upmarket than the ES330 which has a 3.3L V6? For some reason I don't buy the 3.0L V6 in the 2006 GS. It would be totally out of sync with the competition. The E320 will become the E350 by '06, the Infiniti M will be powered by a 3.5L V6, so will the Acura RL, and BMW 3 & 5-series in the future.

I think Lexus is being a little deceptive about engines up to now in the '06 GS.
    I just disagree with you. Why would the lie go so far as to specify hp, torque figures and a new transmission to go along with it. Toyota/Lexus marketing can easily get around the issue of a 3.0L engine in the GS and a 3.3L or 3.5L in the ES. The vehicles are marketed at different audiences, and I dont really feel anyone in the Lex showroom is going to crosshop. Dont forget, also, that raw power doesnt tell the whole story. If the Lexus is lighter than its competition (M, 5, E, RL) and its transmission smarter, it may very well be as quick or quicker. And dont be surprised if Toyota finds a few more hp in the 3.0L GS engine by the time production rolls around.

~alpha
    alpha01,

"The vehicles are marketed at different audiences, and I dont really feel anyone in the Lex showroom is going to crosshop."

That's what every manufacturer says. 90%+ of customers cross shop. And the E-class, RL, Infiniti M, BMW 5-series, Cadillac STS, Audi A6 will compete directly with the GS.

It's foolish to think no one will crosshop the GS in a Lexus showroom. Do people not crosshop the 5-series, E-class, A6?

I could see customers not crosshopping the GS if it was a low production specialty car such as a Honda S2000 or Lotus Elise. But clearly it is not. Lexus target is probably going to be in the 25K to 35K range in annual sales. If you are going to sell that many cars, it is a mainstream luxury car. In which case, how are you going to sell 30K units a year and not have a sizeable portion crosshop with the competition?

"If the Lexus is lighter than its competition (M, 5, E, RL) and its transmission smarter, it may very well be as quick or quicker."

come on, how much lighter is it going to be? 100lbs? That's probably about it if it is lighter. It's not like the GS is going to be 300, 400, 500 lbs. lighter than the E-class or 5-series. And the E-class is getting bumped up to new 3.5L 268bhp V6 soon.
    You can have your opinion. When you can back it up with facts or at least the VERY LEAST, anecdotal evidence, maybe you'll change my mind.

I don't know anyone who has cross-shopped an ES with a GS. One uses front drive and offers zero sporting capability, and the other uses rear drive and offers a bit of handling prowess, though certainly not as much as the BMWs of the world. It seems as though Lexus is looking to endow the next GS with a much more capable chassis to attack the curves, EVEN FURTHER separating the two mid-size entries (ES and GS).

"And the E-class, RL, Infiniti M, BMW 5-series, Cadillac STS, Audi A6 will compete directly with the GS."

Um, whats your point? I am well aware of the competitors of the GS. I didnt say anything about the GS not being cross-shopped against competitors. Of course people looking at the GS will also be looking at the above vehicles. Do you take me for some kind of idiot?

My point is I dont think the ES is a competitor of the GS, and hence having a GS300 and ES330 or ES350 probably wouldnt make a difference to a vast majority of consumers.

If you want to look at hp and torque alone, be my guest. We'll wait and see what the acceleration times look like. Even then, if the GS is behind by say.. a half second to sixty, I dont think thats going to be the deal breaker for many, ESPECIALLY if Toy/Lex do a good job on selling the cars other features, and especially if the 3.0L offers a significant fuel consumption advantage over other vehicles.

I invite everyone to disagree with me, thats great, its what makes these boards valuable- different vantage points. But dont be all condescending and act like you're better than anyone.

~alpha
    alpha01,

I do have to apologize. My understanding was that you were saying nobody is going to crosshop the GS, period.

You would be surprised how much crosshoping occurs within a dealerships own walls. Such as the ES with the RX and the LS with the GS. Same with the GS vs. ES.

Come on, how many buyers(even GS) are going to attack the curves to care enough if it's FWD or RWD? There are lots of Lexus customers who stay within the Lexus fold and a customer who started with a ES may logically want to move up a notch and stick with Lexus. Now, that customer could easily look at both the ES and GS.

Point is, evens cars are crosshopped with a auto make.

I wouldn't call the GS a direct competitor to the ES, but it's still a competitor.

"....and especially if the 3.0L offers a significant fuel consumption advantage over other vehicles."

Come on, who's going to care about gas mileage? We're a country where even at $2 a gallon SUV sales keep growing, and you think a 1 or 2mpg difference is going to keep someone from buying one car over another?
    "You can have your opinion. When you can back it up with facts or at least the VERY LEAST, anecdotal evidence, maybe you'll change my mind.'

I'm not looking to change your mind, I'm just saying I don't buy the 3.0L V6 story Lexus is giving. why? Toyota/Lexus is pretty deceptive as it is when it comes to new car introductions. Another reason why? They are releasing engine specs about a year and a half before the car ever comes out. The market is going to change dramatically over that time. It's already known the E320 will get a 3.5L 268bhp V6, and the 530i will be getting a larger straight 6, which is also rumored to be in the 3.5L range. If the GS sticks with 3.0L V6, it will be seriously outgunned by what are supposed to be it's direct and biggest competitors. Don't forget the supposed specs for the 3.0L V6 from lexus 245bhp but only 228lb-ft of torque. How much more torque are they going to squeeze out of a 3.0L V6? 20-30lb-ft? I doubt it. Meanwhile the E-class will have 268bhp and I believe about 280lb-ft of torque.

Let's not forget the 2006 GS430. Supposedly the same 300bhp and 320lb-ft, when the 545i has 325bhp and the upcoming larger E-class V8 will have over 300bhp and 300lb-ft?

I think Toyota/Lexus is trying to throw the competition off. If they are, and it works' it would be one hell of a smart move.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    It's possible that they are using the 3.0 V6 at first, then add a hybrid motor, which will make the small size of the V6 moot.

Also, let's not forget that there is a 525i, which sells almost as well as the 530i. There's nothing stopping Toyota from having a GS300, GS350 (a year later), and a GS430.

In a way, I kinda wish that Infiniti would offer a G30 to go right at the 325i, which is the lifeblood of BMW in terms of sales. The G35 in Japan (Skyline) already offers a 3.0L version.

On the other hand, it's smart of Nissan to use basically the same 3.5L in all their V6 vehicles, from the Altima, Z, G35, FX35, Quest, Pathfinder, Murano, etc. Sure, some would argue that there is no "engine exclusivity" but few would care. And it's a great way to keep prices down.

But this 3.5L V6 that is coming in the Camry/Avalon is very interesting. It pretty much means that the ES will have this engine as well, since it makes no sense for the Camry to have a bigger engine than the ES. Same goes for the RX.
    I honestly wouldnt be surprised if Lexus continues to use a GS300 and 430, at least in the short term. The 290hp LS430 is faster than the Q45, despite the Q's over 50hp advantage. Toyota has never been obsessed with hp numbers. The Camry has always been down on hp compared to Accord and Maxima, but they dont exactly have any trouble selling Camrys.
  • mascmasc Member Posts: 21
    A comment to your statement:

"Let's not forget the 2006 GS430. Supposedly the same 300bhp and 320lb-ft, when the 545i has 325bhp and the upcoming larger E-class V8 will have over 300bhp and 300lb-ft?"

I don't know enough about the plans Lexus has for the new GS 300 but for the upscale GS (above 430), they will offer a hybrid version adding on to the GS model line of 300 and 430. This is said as Lexus is on its way to include a hybrid version of every model before 2008. It is just Lexus's way of attacking the MB AMG and BMW M-performance series markets. So, no matter what the competition is in the smaller engine category, it is most likely that Lexus already has plans for facing the high-performance sport sedan segment.
    "So, I am guessing there will be a C300 and a C350?"

Sooner or later yes, but I don't think the current C-Class will see these models. Most likely those models will come along with the 2007-08 redesign.

I think the new GS300's V6 might be a Honda-like engine, meaning revs and peaky power band that Toyota's typical V6s. I don't know. Like Lexusguy said Toyota usually isn't about hp and boasting about engine displacement, but it does seem just a tad bit odd compared to the competition, but lets see how this motor puts out those 245 horses. This type of engine would really make sense if they were going to offer a manual trans, but....

M
    I dont think that Toyota will continue to use this 3.0L and the current 4.3L for a long period of time. Like Mercedes and BMW, Lexus is in a transitional period when it comes to their engines. Their current engines were designed to go against what the Germans had a few years ago, mainly, BMW's 4.0L 282hp V8, and Mercedes 4.3L 275hp V8, with the 3.0L positioned against BMW's 2.8L six and the M-B 320, which they compare to favorably. Lexus obviously isnt going to stand idly by and let the Germans pass them by 30 and 40hp, especially since the JDM horsepower cap has FINALLY been repealed. My best guess is that this new 3.0L and the corporate 4.3 will get HSD to bring them up to the power specs of the competition. Even if they transplant the 400h's drive directly into the GS300 without any kind of enhancement, that takes the car from 242hp which is adequate, to 282hp which is top of the class, only behind the RL. Perhaps a GS350h and a GS500h?
    We'll see because I thought this 3.0L V6 was brand new, but still 245hp isn't too shabby in this class. The RL is the overachiever, not the norm. The new standard will be around 250hp in this class...for now.

The hybrid models I'm sure will have a hp and MPG advantage. Seemingly the best of both worlds.

M
    Well said, and thank you for steering the discussion back on track from some WILD speculative guessing.

~alpha
    alpha01,

Well, since you the rest of us can't speculate, what's the point of saying anything about the 2006 GS? Basically everything said about it is SPECULATIVE.
    I didnt say we cant speculate. But there seems to be a lot of partially unfounded assumptions being made.

"What's the point of saying anything about the 2006 GS? Basically everything said about it is SPECULATIVE."

Um, what? Lexus has SHOWN us a car, detailed some of the tech features, and told us the engines that will be debuted with the vehicle. YOU have chosen not to believe them, fine. That doesnt mean the rest of us dont believe Lexus. Now, what may happen subsequently... sure, thats anyones guess, but to me.... it seems pretty darn concrete what engines, features, and car we will be getting on March 1 of 2005.

~alpha
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    There was a short article on the new IS in Automotive News. In the article Denny Clements (Lexus GM) said that most likely the next IS will not offer a V8 engine (even though the LF-C has one). More likely, he said, is a choice of small- and large-displacement six-cylinder engines much like BMW does with the 3 series.

This may help shed some light on engine choices in other Lexus models such as the new GS.

As for the IS, Clements said the interior and engineering are firm, while the final exterior design is still being fine-tuned. Clements said the design can be polarizing because the rest of the lineup can be universal. The production version will arrive in late 2005 and will be launched globally in Japan, Europe and the U.S.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    One point I want to make first.

The Acura RL is rumored to sell for between $45k and 50k, so it isn't necessarily a GS300 competitor, since it has a larger engine and will be probably $5k more expensive, with AWD and all.

The mid-luxury class is pretty murky in the form of who competes with who. Maybe a $40+k class and $50+k class are necessary.

The M45 is V8 only. The GS 300/430 and STS V6/V8 both base in the 40s. The RL will be there. The 525/530. The Audi A6 (V6). The S-Type V6. The E320/Diesel/350.

So if you base a class on price, the STS 320HP V8 and the RL 300Hp V6 AWD are the new class leaders!

That said, I think all we are REALLY getting from Lexus is this. The GS line will START with a 245HP 3.0 Six.

I haven't heard them confirm anything else, and that includes the V8, which at this point is unchanged.

I'll eat my hat if the bring the same V8 to production a year from now! And I'd bet a new engine BETWEEN the 245HP and the V8 will be introduced, probably in the fall of '05. THEN a Hybrid variant of the V8. This would coincide with the next LS redesign, due around Winter/Early Spring of '05-'06.

Also the IS is supposed to land with small and large V6 engines! So don't you think the GS might get the large engine? I wouldn't consider the 3L large. If anything, the 245HP engine will be the base engine for the IS! It's still under the G35's and TL's ratings, but MUCH faster than BMW's 2.5!

My thought is Lexus is putting the final touches on a great 3.5, with around 270-280HP, that will see IS and GS duty, and at some point will get Hybrid power to boot. And the V8 will go up AT LEAST 30HP to allow this engine into a 100HP void in the lineup.

If Toyota builds a Supra (someday), this engine would be purrfect for that application too.

DrFill
    The new Infiniti M will be offered in both V6 and V8 iterations. Preliminary Pricing numbers and a fun Configurator are both available on www.infiniti.com.

~alpha
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    The pricing on infiniti.com for the M35/45 are just "teaser" test prices that could change + or - $3000 at any given moment. They did the same thing with the QX56 to gauge reaction.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Posted this on the Sedan board yesterday

oac "High End Luxury Marques" Apr 23, 2004 11:30pm
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    So will they still have the all-new 3.0L in the '05 GS? Any ideas of when the GS350GT is coming anyway?
    This is the first I've heard any sort of concrete evidence of new powerhouses from Lexus. All I can say is, its about damn time :) I for one, have wanted a GS500 for years. This GS350GT looks like it could be one hell of a cool car. Toyota engines can take more tuning punishment than any other...except maybe the R-34 Skyline GT-R. 3.0L Supras can hit 1200hp. Now all they need to do is start building hot Lexus' from the factory.
    any idea when delivery starts?

and moderators, where did my post go on the Acural RL vs. GS300? thanks
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    The next GS will go on sale at dealers on March 1, 2005. It has still not been announced whether the car will initially be a 2005 or a 2006 model, although I'm pretty sure it will be a 2006.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    That would make sense - late 1st quarter 2005 seems too late to introduce an 05 model. It already sounds stale!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

they did the same thing with the '02 SC430. The GS will probably skip the '05 model year.
    Any ideas of when there might be a "first drive"?
    Autoweek would be a good place to try, though I'm sure Edmunds will get one soon :)
    i looked around net, and a site said that air suspension would come standard with the '06 GS. Any ideas?
    There are some controls pictured here behind the gear shift. Might they be used for the sat nav?

http://gallery.dealerrater.com/gallery/xl/100_1384.jpg
    The air suspension is one of the options on the LS, so thats definitely a possibility, but as standard equipment, especially on a GS300 seems unlikely. My guess is that, like the LS, an air suspension and the "Euro-tuned sport suspension" will be options. As for what those buttons are for, I honestly dont know. They look like zoom controls, so it could be for the nav. At the same time, it is a pre-production car, so they may not be there at all.
    I think that they could possibly be used for kind of like the iDrive and MMI controls?
    Strongly doubt it. Lexus is touch screen controls are the best and easiest to use in the industry (though Acura is a very close second). I dont see any reason for them to move to a pointless, needlessly complex system like BMW or Audi.
    ok. do you think that the AWD system that the GS300 is getting will most likely be rear wheel biased? e.g. 60% to rear, 40% to front, or something of the sort?
    which lexus do you think is the most comfortable (seat wise, and ride) one? Besides the LS that is, its a tad too expensive.
    Most likely, their AWD system, like that of the 330xi and G35x, will be RWD biased, and basically give traction to the front wheels when necessary. It would be very strange for them to take a car that has always been RWD to a 50\50 or FWD bias.

I think they are all very comfortable cars, though the LS as the flagship best demonstrates their "passionate persuit." The ES330 though is an extremely comfortable car, though by no means a sporting machine. You really cant go wrong with any Lexus though as far as seat comfort is concerned. The LS and ES have the creamiest ride quality, but the GS (at least in my only slightly biased opinion) is still more comfortable for long distance travel than its direct competition; E, A6, and 5.

Would you consider like a C.P.O. '02 LS430? A new one can approach $70K if you start throwing on options (though still dirt cheap compared to S and 7) but one a few years old can be had for GS300 prices.
    The GS seems to be one of the Lexi that has the longer seat cushion in the front. The ES, RX, IS have reasonably shorter cushions.

Is the GS comfortable during the drive though?
    The time I spent behind the wheel of a '01 GS430 was very comfortable, but I've never gone cross country in one or anything. You'd really have to get behind the wheel and see how it feels, what is comfortable to me may be completely the opposite for someone else. A lot of the automags praise Volvo chairs, but I found the S80 to be extremely uncomfortable. Those whiplash protection headrests gave me a back ache.
    I'm looking at the RX330, but the GS300 seems to be a lot more comfortable, with the practicalities of a sedan (easier to get in/out, less body roll). The equipment of the two are about the same, but the RX comes at $30,000 AUD cheaper than the GS. The GS seems to be aging as well (obviously), with the coming of the '06 GS.
    What should i do?
    Well, the RX330 is brand new for this year, and so it has a lot of features that arent available on the current GS (air suspension, sport package, rear mounted camera, swiveling headlights, etc) but its a very different car. Great for holding a lot of stuff, and it can certainly tow a lot more than any GS. Not exactly what I would call a "drivers" car though. If you want a GS, I would suggest either a certified pre-owned '01 or '01 GS430, or, wait for the new car.
    the only choice is to choose either the current GS or the '06 GS. I personally haven't driven the GS or riden in one, but im a kind of person who would get a grin on my face by a camry 1MZ-FE. The current GS seems like it would be good enough for me, since I heard it gives pretty good performance, and a very nice ride. Seats are also comfy. I've had a look around at the '06 GS, and the seats dont seem to be completely leather, i.e. middle area has some sort of cloth instead of leather. I don't know whether or not the '06 GS will also have its ride stiffened, making the car not as comfortable for long trips.
    Would like some assistance. Thanks for the help so far lexusguy.

(AFS, air suspension, etc. arent available down here for the RX either btw)
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    I'm the original owner of a '98 GS300 (2nd Gen) and have taken it on numerous trips every year driving 900-1,000 miles in a day, several back-to-back days too, ever since buying it in late '97 and now have 90,000 miles on it. Plus did two long daily commutes to work during different periods, one of 110 miles round trip and the other 62 miles round trip. It's extremely comfortable for me and I'm 6'2" and am over 250lbs. Sufficient performance for my taste and a wonderful ride. The seats have great support and I just enjoy getting in and going for a drive.

Tires are important to the ride comfort I found. I have used OEM Turanza's, Michelin Pilot Sports, and am now on a set of Michelin MXV4Plus for summer and Artic Alpin for winter with excellent ride comfort. Turanza's were just ok, the Pilots were a great handling tire but rode a little rough but I enjoyed pushing the edge more. The MXV4's have about 10k on them and are excellent.
    I think the current GS is and has always been a great buy. While I would certainly not claim that it would out handle the old 540iA with the sport package, NVAH, comfort, features, and price are better than the old BMW, and so far nobody has really warmed to the new 5. you cant stay the best forever. The E I think is the only competition seriously worth considering, but there are plenty of things I dont like about that car as well (COMMAND system, electo-hydraulic brakes, reports of shaky reliability, $$$$$$) If you're going for the current GS, I would suggest a lightly used one, just for the savings as their really isnt anything at all that seperates an '04 from an '01. Perhaps you saw some sort of leather\suede combo? I havent heard anything about that.

Several people have recommended the MXV4s, I just may have to check those out.