Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• bartalk3bartalk3 Posts: 692
    Good summary of the car's virtues and vices. You paid $41,900 with sunroof, etc?? I don't figure how that's $1,000 off sticker. It's more like $4,000.
  • dmcmahondmcmahon Posts: 26
    That's my point. There seems to be some confusion
    about what the base MSRP actually is. Most dealers
    were quoting $44.5k, $1k off the MSRP that includes
    extra charges for those options. My dealer sold me
    the car for $1k off the "base" price of $42.9k, and
    said the "base" car includes the sunroof, rain-sensing
    wipers, etc. (According to him, the only other config
    was the $50k+ with Mark Levinson, DVD nav, etc.).
    It's possible he just made a mistake, but then he
    wouldn't have sold me a car if he hadn't, and he
    still made a nice profit versus the invoice of $38k+

http://www.autobytel.com/content/research/vir/index.cfm/series_id_int/39299/make_vch/Lexus- /Model_vch/GS
  • txagy1txagy1 Posts: 4
    Is it just me, or does the 9 spoke upgrade wheels on the GS300, not worth the $2700?
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    There is a very favorable review in a Car and Driver comparison test of 8 $55,000 sedans. It is the May issue and should be available on newsstands soon. The GS430 did not win, but it clearly earned respect. (I dont want to ruin it for everyone).

~alpha
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    An Acrobat version of this review has already been posted a few times. Its out. The GS got 3rd place behind RL and M.
    dmcmahon:

Your dealer is very bad at arithmetic! The base price of the car is something like 42.9 plus 650 or so destination. The sunroof is $1,000 and the rain sensing wipers, etc. at least $500. Plus all the other misc. options included probably brings it up to 44 or 45, as you say. Check out sticker prices for the car and options on Edmunds, Kelly (kbb.com), ConsumerGuide.com, etc. You got a terrific deal.

Who is this dealer? Maybe he'll make the same mistake twice!
  • sacguy,

In an earlier e-mail I explained that we bought the GS because of our past experience with Lexus (this is our 3rd one) and because Infiniti was about $2.5K more expensive to trade than was Lexus . . . and, the vehicles were VERY similarly equipped. I went on to say that although we were concerned that Infiniti's service level(s) might not be as favorable as those we'd experienced from Lexus, had the price to trade been the same, we would have taken a chance and gone with the M. We really liked it a lot. I hasten to add, however, so far we're really pleased with the GS. It's all we've come to expect of a Lexus vehicle. :D
  • statman,

The BlueTooth system works extremely well in our '06 GS. We chose the Motorola V551 and our service is through Cingular. The quality of the sound, both within the car and on the other end of the call, is excellent. As a matter of fact, it's the best we've experienced since the time we had a phone permanently "installed" in an automobile several years ago . . . before the days of cell phones. We're having none of the issues expressed regarding the BlueTooth in the M's.
  • dmcmahondmcmahon Posts: 26
    I'm posting this to replace an earlier posting that was deleted. Actually my dealer never claimed the price was $1k less than MSRP. I requested some quotes from local dealers using one of the on-line services, and this dealer had the low price of just under $42k. I'm afraid it was me who was confused - I just made an assumption that this was $1k less than the MSRP. I got confused because all dealers I talked to told me there were only 2 configs on the RWD GS300, and I just assumed that the "no nav" config was equivalent to the "base" config as seen on various web sites where I went to look up the dealer invoice on this car.

Now that I've hopefully quashed any implication that my dealership doesn't know how to crunch the numbers, I think it's OK to post the info: I bought my car at Lexus of Serramonte. The TOS do not allow me to post the salesman's name, but I was treated well, think I got a good deal, and I would definitely recommend both him and the dealership.

I believe the car includes all of the stuff from the "no nav" package listed in post 1871. It has the sun roof, the rain-sensing wipers, wheel locks, and all the mats. The only item I'm not 100% sure of is the rear sunshade - I have a button for it but I've not actually tried it. As for the "destination charge", all I can say is that I did not have to pay extra for anything resembling it, e.g. no "dealer prep" etc.

If you're not from the Golden State, please know that in California you have to pay the full sales tax (of 8%) on vehicle purchases. Add $300 for registration fees (based on the vehicle price and therefore a form of property tax) and my out-the-door price on the car was around $45.6k. At least the sales tax is deductable now.
  • adb3adb3 Posts: 112
    I concur. I have the same phone through the same provider and the overall tele/cell phone operation both calling and receiving is excellent. I couldn't be happier.
    You would think after owning 3 previous Lexus vehicles that I wouldn't be surprised by the legendary quality and workmanship. But I have to report that my GS430 is a really, really well-made car. One reason (but certainly not the only reason) I went with the 2006 430 instead of waiting on the 450 or 460 is that in my experience Lexus does a stellar job with quality and workmanship on the next generation of their vehicles. My wife's RX330 is a prime example of that and that's why the 330 is the first Lexus vehicle to sell over 100K for a CY and is still going strong. The 330 is a significant qualitative improvement over the previous 300, as the continued demand attests.

As for my 430, even though it is steeped in electronics and gadgetry, everything works as advertised, every time--no false indicators, failures or glitches. And let me tell you, this baby is solid through and through--chassis, integrity & feel are all top-notch. BTW, the 6-speed tranny is making a noticeable difference (improvement) in gas mileasge, particularly during hwy driving.

I think most would agree that even at this price range reliability is a significant factor. And for those who are researching with the intent of buying a vehicle in this car segment let me inform/remind you that the GS series has been rated by JD Powers as the top mid-size luxury car in quality and workmanship for the last 2 years running. With that in mind, I can unequivocally state that the 3rd Gen GS is leaps and bounds better. I understand the quibbling about Lexus not raising the ante enough in the HP and driver dynamics wars, but IMO when the dust settles this baby will be left standing with few equals.

Just my 2 and probably to some worthless cents.
    Lexus' inteiror designs have always been good, but it was the 2004 RX330 that really brought them up to the level of industry leader Audi. The theme that started there seems to be continuing into GS and now IS, and I have to say, I do like it. The LS and ES are the last examples of "old" Lexus design themes, and I am very excited to see what they do with these cars, especially the LS.
  • I am surprised that the majority of the posts comparing the GS 300 AWD are to the M and the BMW 5 series. I'm not a big fan of the 5 series and there is no Infinity dealer within an hour of me making service hassles a deal breaker. I'm debating between the A6 and the Lexus. With options, they cost-out about the same. Reliability makes me lean toward the lexus. Any thoughts?
    Back in the day, I owned an Audi and thank goodness the brand has come a long way since then. Audi has been a standard bearer in interiors and it's exteriors are not bad either. However, reliability has been very spotty and for that reason Consumer Reports still will not recommend as a buy. If reliability is important to you then the GS has a much more stellar track record.
  • howardg1howardg1 Posts: 14
    I have been comparison shopping cars for several weeks now, and have driven the Acura TL and RL, the Infiniti G and M, the new Toyota Avalon, and the Lexus ES and GS. First, I dont buy cars lightly, my newest car is 12 years old. Tend to buy high quality, reliable autos, and then keep them. Started out thinking that I would spend in the low to mid $30,000, and was doing fine until I made the mistake of test driving the GS while looking at the ES. What an impressive auto. Suddenly was in the mid-$40's.

At that point, the Avalon, Infiniti G, ES and TL lost their appeal, but the potentials now included the RL and M. After driving all, I feel the Lexis is simply the "class of the class." Dont get me wrong, the others are all nice, and maybe more powerful, but none have the overall quality, refinement, class, and historical reliability of the Lexus. The Lexus interior simply makes all others look cheap! I would like to purchase the GS 300 AWD, but am now looking to get a "fair" price.

The "standard" GS 300 AWD no nav. package around here includes the sun roof, rain sensing wipers, run flats, heated seats, ect, with a sticker (inclu. $650 destination charge) of about $47,400. So far, not a lot of success getting much movement off the sticker.

Someone mentioned that the Annapolis, MD Lexis deal was dealing. What kind of deal were you offered at any MD or VA dealer on the GS? Secondly, anyone have an experience with ordering their GS, and the 3 month wait? Work OK, able to get exactly what you wanted, and how was the pricing (was it tougher to negotiate when placing an order rather than buying from dealer stock)?

Thanks, need some help, havent purchase a car in awhile!
  • I went online about a monthago..and Sheehy Lexus in 'annapolis came right back with a $1500 discount..they quoted sticker price and their price...the saleswoman was very friendly and helpful.my guess is they will do better than that..go visit the dealer..see the car..price it with what options you wamt. then say (when you are ready to buy) I will buy this car for $4000 off sticker...listen to the response and walk away...they will call you back to negotiate..if they are smart..you can make a deal......
    Do you have an Acura shop near you?
  • howardg1,

When I was negotiating for my new GS300 the thing that seemed to get THE most attention from the salesperson and the sales manager was my mentioning the fact that I had settled on buying one of two cars. Theirs (the GS) and "the new Infinity M". Once said, they began to sharpen their pencils. Not sharp enough so, I "walked". Before I got home (25 minutes from the dealership) I had gotten two calls, sweetening the pot. At home received yet another call that night. The following morning they called again inviting me to, "Please stop by just one more time. We're sure we can get together." I went in the following day, presented them with a "final" offer, "before going to Infiniti again." and they took it . . . on the spot.

Moral of the story . . . use the "M" word liberally. Incidentally, we lover the GS. It's our 3rd Lexus.

Good luck! ;)
  • drtraveldrtravel Posts: 395
    From Westminster, CA Lexus dealer

2006 LEXUS GS300
    ALL IN STOCK VEHICLES-BASE MODEL
    MSRP: $45,679 YOUR PRICE: NOW $43995
    (price does not include tax, license or doc. fee in stock vehicles only)

with navigation & mark levinson sound system:
    MSRP: $50,209 NOW $47,995 (in stock vehicles only)
  • chrisg1chrisg1 Posts: 16
    I told Longo Lexus that I wanted to special order a Cypress Pearl w/black interior as it comes w/tan interior; they called me back today and said the factory would not do a special order. Where is dealer located who would do a special order for you?
    Longo is so big, maybe they have the car you want or can trade. That color (Cyprus Pearl) comes ONLY with the tan interior, so a factory order will do you no good if what you want is just another interior color (black). What kind of options do you want that they can't special order? If it's only a different interior color you want with that exterior, forget it. Check the brochure. It's listed there that Cyprus Pearl comes only with the tan interior. Many/most other exterior colors come with a choice of interiors (2, sometimes 3). My dealer here will give you the same story.
  • sortersorter Posts: 146
    The GS march sales is not bad comparing with the BMW 5s.

2005 2004 CHG 2005 2004 CHG
    GS 300 2,482 452 428.8 4,518 1,683 172.0
    GS 430 727 69 914.6 1,140 312 270.3

Model March Year-to-Date March Year-to-Date
    525i sport wagon (E39) 0 0 0 19
    525i (E60) 1,500 4,239 1,337 3,738
    530i (E60) 1,617 4,582 1,749 4,586
    540i Sports Wagon (E39) 0 0 0 2
    545i (E60) 830 2,196 775 1,938
    M5 (E39) 0 2 12 45
    5 Series 3,947 11,019 3,873 10,328
    The M, GS, and STS are all doing well. Not surprising. The A6 and RL, not so good. Again, not surprising.
    Yeah, no go on a black interior; I just got off the phone w/Longo guy, told him what I'd like to special order is a car w/nav system (no upgraded stereo), chrome wheels, moonroof, power rear sunshade and rear spoilet; he's to get back to me on time frame for that. He wasn't sure on the price of chrome wheels, do you know? He guessed about $1500.
    I believe sales tax is only tax deductible if you don't itemize other things on tax return.
  • howardg1howardg1 Posts: 14
    The GS 300 AWD model I am looking at has a MSRP (sticker) price of $47,400, which includes the $650 destination charge. In looking to calculate the invoice price I have used information from Edmunds, Kelly and Consummer Reports to calculate the dealer invoice at about $41,600. In negotiations with 2 seperate Lexis dealers, both have told me the invoice on the car configured to the $47,400 sticker is $42,200. Anyone have an idea why this $600 difference between the invoice based on information collected off the web, and the invoice as quoted by 2 Lexus dealers?
    GS 300 AWD (no Nav or ML), run flat tires, sun roof, ventilated seats, RS wipers, rear spoiler, cargo mat/net/locks package.
    Chrisg1: I don't see chrome wheels on the option sheet. Alloy wheels (G-Spider or machined tourmaline) sticker for $2,450, $1,800 invoice. Is that what you mean?

Let me know if he will order the car for you optioned out the way you want it, how long it will take, and whether you were able to negotiate a decent (below sticker!) price.
  • alcohenalcohen Posts: 10
    I've got some experience with this since I had a 93 Lexus SC300 for 7 years that I put 140,000 miles on. Maintenance and service were great, the car never needed anything but the routine scheduled maintenance. I now have a 2000 Audi A6 4.2 that is a great car, all wheel drive, 300hp V-8 but the maintenance and service are terrible. I've needed multiple sets of brakes, new tie rods, the pollution control engine parts keep failing and the service in no way compares to the Lexus. Most of the time the car has to stay at the Audi dealer 2-3 days to be serviced. I will say the interior of the Audi is wearing much better than the Lexus. It looks almost brand new whereas the leather wrapped steering wheel and drivers seat of the Lexus wore very poorly. Trying to decide between the M35x and the GS300 AWD for my next vehicle. Tough choice. After test driving both the M is definitely more of the drivers car but my good experience with Lexus may steer me back in that direction.
  • alcohenalcohen Posts: 10
    I'm confused about the satellite radio situation with the GS. Is it part of the Mark Levinson package. Can you specify XM or Sirius?
    Although chrome wheels aren't listed (I have the full brochure on the car), I just know they must be available and the Lexus guy indicated they could be obtained. I'll update you on time frame for special order when I hear from him. Price will not be nototiated on a special order til the car is actually in; since it will take probably at least 3 months, I anticipate negotiating a pretty good price. I'm not in a rush, fortunately, as I want to sell my Jag first anyway.