Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• soulundersoulunder Member Posts: 31
    Boxters - You mentioned an LS430 selling for about the same as a GS. Are you comparing LS430 to fully loaded GS430 or GS300? Did not know they discounted the flagship that much. Please elaborate.
    I've read several posts about Flint Mica (which is the color I'm waiting for). Do most of these cars come with black interior? I really don't like that dark ash wood that comes with the grey interior.
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Member Posts: 202
    A 2005 (modern-luxury with Navi/ML) LS430 can be had for Less Than a 2006 GS430 or GS300awd with Navi/ML. Certainly the lease payments in my case less than 1 month ago.

The plain 2006 GS300awd 'stripper' (no Navi/ML) is slightly cheaper than an 2005 LS430.

I personally went through all of the pricing last month at the dealer and leased an LS430. I previously wrote of my subsequent LS purchase due to the disappointments with the 2006 GS here. My LS430 specific pricing negotiations are in the Lexus LS Prices Paid March area of edmunds.com as well.
  • dmcmahondmcmahon Member Posts: 26
    Mine has the ash gray interior. I like it a lot better, it's cheerier and won't get as hot in the summer.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    For those living in the midwest, the GS300 is available with the NAVI alone, without the ML. I saw this on several cars this weekend at several dealerships. Problem is they were all AWD. It's possible the NAVI is going to be limited to the AWD for a time and not avilable at all on the RWD. The alternative, I guess, is a factory order, 3 months.
    Thanks much to Boxter and dmcmahon. I may take a more serious look at the LS430. Do you think they are as willing to deal on the purchase of an LS430 as they are to lease? My dealer has about 12-15 LS430s but only 2 GS300/430.
  • bmw_driverbmw_driver Member Posts: 4
    Hello all, I've been following the discussion as I am choosing between the GS 300 AWD and the Infiniti M35x as well. I recently test drove both cars. I have seen here that many thought the M was a the 'driver's' car and I expected that as well when I walked into the Inifiniti dealer. But I have to tell you, I drove the AWD M for about 20 minutes and thought it was plain mush. Loose steering, especially at low speeds. The engine sounds great when you step on the gas pedal, but I sensed a real lag before the car lurched foward. I currently drive a BMW 3-series, so I've come to expect immediate feedback from the car. I drove the GS a few weeks ago, and while it was no BMW, I thought the ride was pretty nice. Feedback at low speeds was muted, but it wasn't mushy, and the car responded very well on the highway. Personally, I think BMW would clean up in this part of the market if they made the 5 series AWD, got rid of the dreaded iDrive system, and redesigned the car to look more like the new 2006 3-series.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to be that smart. I am strongly considering the GS. Can anyone else comment on the handling/response of driving the GS 300 AWD?
  • jhamilton1jhamilton1 Member Posts: 22
    tulanekid24,

Been into audio systems, big time, for years. Gotta' say the ML's out-damn-standing! Awsome! Try it; you'll like it! The base system's not bad but once your ears are subject to the ML, you'll throw stones at the base. Trust me . . . if you're not ready to "blow the bucks", don't even think about listening to the ML.

:shades:
    I, too, hope Lexus is looking. Even though I like my new GS a lot, the suggestions you've made would cause me to "Love" it!
    :)
    For all you tall guys out there, it might seem like a good idea to get the GS w/o the sunroof, which would provide more headroom.

A good idea, that is, until you try to sell or trade it. Dealers will tell you they can't sell that car without a sunroof, and you'll take a tremendous hit. The sunroof is what you might call a mandatory option (oxymoron!). You gotta have it. It's like standard equipment--at extra cost!

On that transmission, by the way, it's different from the ES, which is a 5-speed vs. the GS 6-speed. Having driven a couple of GSs, the shifts are quick and seamless.
  • damienwgdamienwg Member Posts: 39
    The first thing I learned from my uncle who used to sell cars for a living is to negotiate from invoice up, not MSRP down.

I test drove a 530i, GS300 and G35 and my most enjoyable experience by a hair was the GS. But I'd be damned if I'm going to purchase a car that in 2 years is going to depreciate 10K.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    "The first thing I learned from my uncle who used to sell cars for a living is to negotiate from invoice up, not MSRP down."

Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to the 2006 GS at this point in time. Nearly every redesigned Lexus goes for list or close to it in its first six months or so because of demand. There is little room to negotiate because if you don't pay sticker (or pay sticker less $500, etc.) the next guy will.
    Yes, they were quite motivated to deal on the LS. My dealer also had a dozen or so LS430s on the lot. Something makes me think that they want to move as many LS's as possible to get/keep their quota high so as to get their fair share of the hot future 07 LS's.

Notably, I was high on the waiting list for an 06GS at the time and they knew they could easily move 'my' GS at list. I also got a great money factor from Lexus for my lease. It is my belief that the dealer does not care who actually 'buys' the car -you (cash) or the bank for leasing/financing.

Good luck! I still strongly believe I made the best choice for me all considered.
    soulunder,

Have you actually "seen" the Ash Leather with the Black Birds-Eye Maple? It's what we have in our Flint-Mica and . . . . we think it's SMASHING! We have a similar combination in a Mercedes and we love it. Have had it for 3 years, haven't grown tired of it and continue to gets lots of compliments on that look. :D
    00Bboxsters. What'd you pay for your LS430? What was the sticker?
  • indiana97indiana97 Member Posts: 58
    I strongly agree with your statement. I made a similar statement on this forum a week or so ago. I am willing to wait 6 months or so to get my GS300. I think I will get mine for $3500 to $4000 of MSRP. I have already spoken to 2 salespersons at 2 dealers and they have said after the hype wears off a bit and the supply catches up with the demand the discounts will kick in. If there was only a $4500 mark up from invoice like BMW (5 series) with no holdback I would be comfortable with a smaller discount. When there is a $7000 mark up and a holdback I think I that is excessive. Lexus models do get discounted just look at the current LS430 and the RX330.
    If you buy a GS300 now at MSRP, the GS350 comes out in as a 2007 I feel that you will take much more then a $10,000 hit in 2 yrs. I trade my cars every two years or so because of mileage considerations thus this is an issue for me. I currently have a 2004 RX330 and have had RX300 and a GS300 before that.
  • gs4lifegs4life Member Posts: 6
    Very good point, indiana97. Totally agreed with your point and the explaination.

BTW, do you or anyone know when the new GS350 will come out?? I know it will be listed at a 07 model, but does anyone the street date for that car??
  • ptwellsptwells Member Posts: 18
    What dealership & where to you get your GS430?
    thanks
  • chrisg1chrisg1 Member Posts: 16
    I believe that the GS350 won't be out til fall '06, quite a wait. I, too, will wait a few more months before getting my GS.
  • statmanstatman Member Posts: 12
    I drove all three cars as well and like the ride of the GS the best. I like the extra room in the M but the ride was so harsh on roads that were not smooth (most of them where I live). Any larger bumps produce a real bang. For the roads I drive on the most, the M would not be a good choice. Yea, the engine sounds nice ripping thru the gears but I really don't want to hear that all the time. Sounds like a race car not a Luxury car.
  • statmanstatman Member Posts: 12
    How did the GS look with the G-Spider rims? Any other rim options available?
  • hotshot888hotshot888 Member Posts: 8
    I was excited to go to a local Lexus dealer (Bay Area) to test drive a brand new GS 300 AWD. Only did I learn that it isn't available until mid July to late August. It seems like some people on this board have already driven the AWD. Is the AWD only available in the east coast and west coast will follow?

Since I need a new car in a month or so, I am going to stick with the new GS design but torn between GS 300 and the GS 430...oh of course the $8000 spread. Is $8000 over 6 years (my intention to keep the car) worth it for the 60 more horses on a V8, 18" wheels, factory spoiler, but the extra gas mileage. I will forgo my future speeding tickets though. Anyone on this board have the same dilemma? I am torn right now.

Hotshot888
  • tinypoemtinypoem Member Posts: 26
    indiana97,

they are already selling at $3500 to $4000 off MSRP right now in many areas. Hopefully by the 6 month mark you can get an even better deal.
  • stern4stern4 Member Posts: 6
    I upgraded to the spider wheels on my AWD. It finishes off the car perfectly. Have received many positive comments from friends and strangers. They compliment the color of the car as well. Color: Flint Mica
    I paid about 11% below sticker price bartalk3.

2005 LS430 modern package

MSRP: 62,734
    Cap Cost: 55,850
    residual value: 34,503.70
    money factor: .00155

3 years x 36 months, 15K/month = $799/month inc. tax.
  • drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    Weird as it sounds, I believe that the true competition for the GS comes from Lexus itself.

The GS 300 competes against the upcoming ES 350 - the GS might be slightly more sporty but the new ES will have more room, similar looks and luxury and will likely share it's engine with the GS 350 - plus it's cheaper.

The GS 430 competes against the upcoming LS 460 - again the GS might be slightly more sporty but the new LS will have more room, better luxury and will likely share it's engine with the GS 460 - although a little more expensive.
    hotshot: In the Chicago area (and midwest generally), 90% of the GS300s for sale are AWD. In fact, RWD 300s are almost impossible to get. If you need a car now, you can get it here!
    Thanks Boxsters you have certainly given me food for thought. My choice in GS300 is no where to be found in the southeast. I'll wait until the end of the month and possibly move over to the LS430 (if the dealer is hungry enough).
    I have seen the ash with black birds-eye maple. I like the ash (grey) interior, it goes well with the other color tones in the car. I just prefer a wood that has a richer (?) look and appeal like the other two choices. Lexus offers the lighter tones in the RX 330 with ash interior but not the new GS (probably a cost saving issue). Like most car buying decisions it becomes a matter of personal taste and appeal. I am happy you enjoy that color combination - it must be a successful one or Lexus would have abandoned it a few years back. Enjoy your new car, I'm still waiting. :(
    Where have you seen discounts of $3500 to $4000 off MSRP? 06' GS300's are selling like hot cakes in the southeast with very little discount.
  • indiana97indiana97 Member Posts: 58
    Where and what dealers have you seen discounting $3000 to $4000 off MSRP? I would be interested too!!
    Thanks
    tinypoem,

Could you please shed some light on the places where they are willing to do $3500 to $4000 off of MSRP for the new GS300?? Is that for the NAVI or non-NAVI??

I, personally, is looking for a GS300 that comes with NAVI & ML sound system. Do you know any place that are willing to do $2500-$3000 off of MSRP??

Sorry for all the questions, but I am in need of a car and I liked the new design for the GS a lot. Hope you can share some info on the dealerships who are willing to make deals, thx. :D
    Here in Southern California. I got mine last week for about $3700 off MSRP from Lexus of Glendale. The salesperson also told me Longo Lexus was now going $3000 off MSRP as well. Longo Lexus first quoted me $2000 off MSRP. Orange County dealerships were not as generous but were quoting about 1750 off MSRP via email blasts. I believe some people were lucky enough to get $4000 off MSRP in the San Franciso area. Mine was the non Nav no ML version but he was willing to do the same deal for the Nav version with ML.
  • damienwgdamienwg Member Posts: 39
    What is the formula for determining monthly lease payments?
    The best they are offering here in SF area is $1000 off MSRP for the GS 300. GS 430 only $500. There is also no AWD here....is it true that people have bought the GS 300 AWD already.
  • mks4mks4 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I need some advice, I currently have an 2001 Rx 300 w/ 37,000 miles valued on Kellys for 22,450, lexus dealer in tennessee is willing to give me 25,000 for the car, but thats about it, I would have to pay MSRP of GS300, with an AWD basically fully loaded with tourmaline wheels and Xm radio, it comes to about 54,700USD. I have called around but this seems to be the best I can do? Any thoughts, I would be grateful- Thanks- MKS4
  • bigzip1bigzip1 Member Posts: 5
    That sound like a good trade-in offer to me. I had to pay MSRP for my GS300 AWD with no trade.
  • mks4mks4 Member Posts: 6
    Hey thanks for the advice, how are you liking your car?
  • bigzip1bigzip1 Member Posts: 5
    Love it! No regrets.
    hotshot888,

I beleive dmcmahon posted in message #1894 that he got the GS 300 with everything but Nav and ML for 41k plus tax & licence at Lexus Serramonte. Isnt that in the By area?
    I got my GS 300 RWD today Mercury Metallic with a rear spoiler for $2300 off MSRP. I am very happy with my selection especially I was struggling b/t GS 300 and the GS 430. The spread b/t the two including discount is almost $10,000 b/c they wouldn't concede on the GS 430 at all.

I found out that there are two ports in the west coast - Portland and LA. Most west coast area would take delivery from the LA port but mountain/snow area would take from the Portland port that the AWD version was delivered to. Places like Reno in the west coast would be an exception. I hope this helps b/c I was really confused why my dealer doesn't have any AWD.
    Here is the 'basic lease calculator' Damien. There is an entire help article on leasing under the 'tips and advise' section of this website.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/calc/CalculatorController?tid=edmunds.n.pcalc.calculator.tab.1- .*
    Was the Kelly's price for retail or trade in value?

2000 Boxster S
  • kmg68kmg68 Member Posts: 108
    I am not surer shere you are in Tennessee, but Hennessy Lexus in Atlanta is part of the Costco program, so you may be able to get a better deal through them if you are willing to make the trip!
    hotshot: where did you get your car?
    bartalk3,

I got my car at Stevens Creek Lexus. Great service and experience for my first Lexus. In and out. Brand new facility. I highly recommend.
  • otguyotguy Member Posts: 37
    I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on an GS300 w/NAV&ML (MSRP $50k). I may try to special order the GS300 w/NAV without ML if I can to save about $2k.

Has anyone purchased a GS300 in the SF Bay Area recently? If so, what did you pay and for which model?

Thank you,

otguy
    I just bought a GS 300 loaded (only w/o pre-collision) for $2500 MSRP with a trade.
    tinypoem,

is it possible for you to share the name of the salesperson whom you made the deal with at "Lexus of Glendale"?? I am shopping cround for the best prices and it seems like you had the best deal for the GS300 around Southern Cal area. If you can disclose the name in here, could you please PM me?? thx a million for your help!! :)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Sorry, we don't use the Forums to refer to specific salespeople. See the Rules of the Road linked at the top of the page - email me if you have any questions. Thanks!