Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• chrisg1chrisg1 Member Posts: 16
    statman:
    I thought it looked fine but personally I prefer chrome wheels on my cars, adds that extra bit of sparkle to it. No other rim options other than chrome as far as I know.
  • mks4mks4 Member Posts: 6
    I ordered my GS300AWD a while ago, just came in, I got 18in tourmalines because the wheels that come standard just didnt sit well with me. I am wondering now however if getting 18in wheels is not smart for the AWD, if it will make the car less effective in the snow? Anybody else get the awd with the 18in wheels?
  • stern4stern4 Member Posts: 6
    I also have the 18" wheels but I opted for the spider wheels. I don't think Lexus would offer these wheels as an upgrade on the AWD if they were not effective in snow. Just be sure you have all season tires on the wheels.
  • azbuyerazbuyer Member Posts: 11
    What did they charge you for the spiders?
  • tinypoemtinypoem Member Posts: 26
    gs4life,

TOS here does not allow me to reference names. All the staff at Glendale Lexus was great. I first requested a quote thru their internet sales group.
  • idoc1idoc1 Member Posts: 2
    Don't know about the wheels but had an opportunity to drive my AWD in a snow storm. Got the first one on the lot here in New England and had a pretty good snow storm ie. .6" about three weeks ago. Had to try it. Took it out at 9:00 PM.. in the middle of the storm. Cannot tell you how impressed I was . My other car is a 2004 Pilot. With the "snow button" on, it was incredibly stable. Couldn't get it to slide when accelerating. Difficult to get the tack over 2000. God I love this car.
  • stern4stern4 Member Posts: 6
    I paid $500.00 off list which I believe the list is $2450.00. It was a dealer installed option, not original equipment from the factory. Otherwise I paid list price for the car, no discount but negotiated a great price for my trade in.

The wheels are georgeous, makes a huge difference to the apperance of the car. The picture of the wheels in the catalog does not do the wheels any justice.
  • howardg1howardg1 Member Posts: 14
    Just about to purchase a GS-300 AWD. Would appreciate opinions from those that are lucky enough to already own this car:

Anyone have experience with using regular gas in this car, or is that not worth trying and just stick with premium?

Opinions on the standard sound system vs the ML would be appreciated. Trying to decide if the upgrade is worth it.
    :confuse:
  • gs4lifegs4life Member Posts: 6
    tinypoem,

Thanks for your info. I will contact them this weekend and hopefully everything will workout great for me. :)
  • azbuyerazbuyer Member Posts: 11
    My 430 is to be delivered in 2 to 3 weeks. Went with Flint/Black. Can't decide between stock 430 wheels dipped chrome or Spiders. Thought about aftermarket 19's but don't want to compromise the ride.

Any opinions anyone?
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    howard:

Why do you want AWD? $2,000 more expensive, 200 pounds heavier, lower gas mileage, slower acceleration. An alternative: Get RWD and snow tires in the winter.

Regular not recommended, will hamper performance. Alternative: do what Andy Rooney of 60 minutes does: mix half 89 octane with half 93 octane and get a perfect blend of 91.

Standard sound system is excellent; ML is even better. Is it worth an additional $2,000 to you? By the way, depending on where you live, you may have trouble getting the ML without the NAV, if that's the way you want to go.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    A set of those snow tires will set you back almost a grand if you get ones that are any good. Even if the car is RWD, you shouldnt "half mount" tires, I've done this in the past with pretty poor results. RWD with snow tires is not AWD. If you live in an area with lots of snow, I would still recommend AWD.

Howardg1, you should never use regular in a car speced for premium. The engine will "deal" with the crappy gas by losing horsepower and your mpg will suffer. If you cant afford 15-20 cents a gallon, dont buy a car that needs 93, plain and simple.
  • billdavbilldav Member Posts: 18
    I'm using the Motorola V551 which was the first recommendation by dealer. The other was a Nokia. They told me there were some issues with the Blackberry so I passed on it.

The V551 was easy to setup and works great. At my age, hearing is not as good as it used to be and I can hear conversations clearly.
  • loucopitsloucopits Member Posts: 103
    I stopped by the local Lexus dealer to check out the 2006 they had outside the showroom. On the passenger side back window there was a sticker to the effect that the tires might not last 20,000 miles. Any idea why? My wife's 2000 GS300 has 22,000 miles and the tires look like new.
    Why the sticker? Bigger tires, performance tires. And, I believe, Mercedes originated this sticker business, so Lexus decided to follow suit.
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Member Posts: 202
    Because, depending on the driving conditions, it is true. Performance tires are generally softer for better grip at the expense of wear. I got about 8,000 miles with Pirelli Pzero's. My wives RX330 needed the OEM Badyears changed at 18,000 miles. (I rotate my tires and check the pressures as appropriate, fyi.)

Funny how this post made me recall how absurd it was that the then brand new Acura NSX was getting only 5K to 8K on its custom OEM Yoko's. I remember the dealer was explaining to me that was the only complaint from his customers.
    The old GS300 came with 16s standard, they werent super performance tires and had a higher sidewall, hence the longer life. The treadlife warning isnt new. The old Lexus GS400 and 430 with the optional 17s had a warning that said to expect a life of 15K miles or less.
  • dpjdpj Member Posts: 16
    Have been looking at the GS300 but the trunk space is a big problem for me. I am now looking seriously at the LS430 and am wondering if there are any recent prices paid or lease deals for the LS430 in the Southern California area? Sounds like Longo and Glendale Lexus are the two to pit against each other.

The best I have seen on the GS300 w/ ML/Nav packages (the $50,209 MSRP version) is $47,995 from Lexus of Westminster. Lease rate of 0.0017 and with $2000 drive off $666+tax for 48 months w/ 15,000 miles/year based on same car and sell price.
    Keep in mind that a CPO '04 LS will have everything that the current car does.
  • mister8mister8 Member Posts: 5
    What is the residual value of the car on the lease?

(GS300 w/ ML/Nav packages (the $50,209 MSRP version) is $47,995 from Lexus of Westminster. Lease rate of 0.0017 and with $2000 drive off $666+tax for 48 months w/ 15,000 miles/year based on same car and sell price. )

Thanks.
    Residual is $21,589. Didn't do the calculations but assume the numbers will add up pretty close. Let me know what you think and if you have seen anything better.
  • florida1florida1 Member Posts: 42
    I believe its been suggested that it's possible to lease a 2005 LS for less than a 2005 GS430 comprably equiped--

Does anyone have validation of this? Is it an overstatment or true? Thanks for the help-----
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Member Posts: 202
    I can validate that I leased a 2005LS for less than a 'comparably equipped' 2006 GS300awd. The GS300awd had a lower list price than the 2006 GS430 so I would presume the same claim may be made for the GS430. See my above posts over the past month.
  • mister8mister8 Member Posts: 5
    Using the payment calculator on this website, leasing is better by about $50/mo.
    (Buying vs.leasing)

If you purchased and financed at 5% for 48 mo. with down payment of $21589 (lease residual value after 48 mo), the payment comes out to $715.88.

I have not seen any resonable lease yet. This one might be best for now.
    OOboxters--

Thanks for the replies guys--It's helpful in to me--

I'm a real fan of the new GS and couldn't wait for it to come out etc---Have driven twice and still am fan. Additionally, I've never been interested in buying an LS---will likely buy a GS430--

However.....
    Until the Lexus sales rep suggested I test drive one, and I did.....Wow---it's with out question a step-up from the new GS----in just about every way. The interior blows the GS away and the performance kills the GS 300 and just about rivals the GS 430----

Net Net--Given that atttractive leases can be had on 2005 LS 430, in fact less than GS 430's isn't it a no brainer? I understand the GS is a different car and sleeker etc--But the gap between the two cars seems considerable to me---I guess the stigma of the LS being for "older" people is something to consider---

Opinions?
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I drove both about a month ago. The salesman was pitching the GS 430. Hard. Couldn't blame him. MSRP with a 15% spread above invoice. Turned off by the small sunroof and ridiculously small trunk. Not very roomy up front. My left leg was leaning against the door. Felt I had more room in my 325i.
    The LS 430 was very roomy, had good seats with seemingly unlimited adjustment possibilities, a normal sunroof, a roomy trunk and as much power as the GS 430. Its steering was much lighter but for such a big vehicle, I thought it handled okay.
    I'm sure I can get the LS for a cheaper lease than the GS.
    Forget the age thing. The Lexus salesman said many of the professional football players in the area own the LS. That's good enough for me.
    For me this is a no-brainer!
    If you can manage to find an LS430 with the "Eurosport" suspension, give one a try. I think you'll be surprised just how well this big car can handle with the right shoes.
  • drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    Like I mentioned in a previous post the biggest competitor to the GS will come from Lexus. The upcoming GS 460 will compete against the LS 460 - same engine, faily close handling but the LS is much more comfortable and practical - I would choose the LS in a heartbeat. The upcoming GS 350 will compete against the ES 350 - same engine, fairly close handling and styling but the ES will be more practical and affordable - need to actually drive the new ES before making any bold statements though.

The GS just isn't sporty enough (or BMW like) to distinguish itself from the other Lexus products. This has plague the GS since it's inception - unfortunately Lexus stll hasn't addressed this issue. They were stupid to bring over the 300 engine (instead of the 350) and I think many of the advanced features found only in the GS 430 should have been in the 300 as well.

Comparing current prices between the GS and LS is suspect. Wait until the normal discounts apply to the GS and then run the numbers. The GS will depreciate significantly for those who insist on buying it now at MSRP (or close to it). Just wait and see what happens to it's value when the new LS, ES and GS 350/460 arrive.
    Any recent lease experiences for the GS300 or LS430? Looking for car sell price, residual, money factor for a 36 or 48 month lease and 15,000 miles.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I think you're making a far too sweeping statement about the GS not being sporty enough. There are a lot of drivers who needn't BMW amounts of road feel and precision but still appreciate crisp responses. And to this end, the GS provides in much better fashion than the LS, and especially the ES. The ES is a very non-sporting car and to presume that the next ES will handle similarly to this new GS is a *WILD* leap of faith, given the responses of the current generation ES that I drove last year.

I feel that if the new GS was as soft as you claim, how would Car and Driver be able to remark "Despite the supple ride, there is discipline in the chassis. An adaptive damping system and keen steering help the Lexus hurry through the canyons at speeds most people would not attempt"? To me, that indicates that the dynamic capability is there, it just doesnt speak as loudly as it would in a 5-series, for example. And for what its worth, I dont feel that any ES would appear in the same breath as the phrase "hurry through the canyons".

Finally, you are incredibly dramatic with respect to depreciation and value.

Q: What happened to the ES300 depreciation when it became the ES330 in 2004? What happened to the GS300 when the ES became the ES330 in 2004?
    A: Nothing, from what I've observed. Why would it be any different this time around?

~alpha
    Considering that the GS 300 engine's is underpowered in relationship to it's competitors, I believe the 350 engine upgrade will be much more important as compared to the relatively minor ES 300 to 330 move - especially for a car advertised as a performance sedan. Lexus might even add some performance features that are currently only available on the 430.

Car and Driver's article is about the 430. This car is much more sporty in relationship to the 300. Didn't Lexus say about 90% of their sales will be 300s?

Hmm....if you buy a GS now at say $50K and I wait for a few months and buy it at $47K....in three years I believe both cars will be worth about the same, other things being equal. As Lexus introduces new models I believe the buzz about the GS diminishes as does it's actual selling price.
  • kmg68kmg68 Member Posts: 108
    alpha01,

I think that the y2007 ES will be more competitive with the GS than you think. My guess is that the new ES will have the same engine as the y2005 Avalon. If that is the case, then the ES will have much better handling, power, etc. than the current model. In addition, if the options they offer in the new ES are similar to the Avalon then the the ES will be equipped similarly to the GS as well. AND finally...the ES will me much less expensive. In addition, I believe the IS will give GS some competition as well.....
    kmg68

I believe the plan is to have the ES, IS and GS share the same 350 engine (guessing about 280 hp) although there might be tuning differences between them for a few extra horspower here and there. Lexus will definitely need to upgrade the performance components of the ES to keep up with the engine. Not sure if all the Avalon goodies will be on the ES - it will still be based on the Camry although this is the last generation to be based on the Camry.

The new ES is scheduled to arrive next March - I still think it will be very competitive with the GS 300 which just isn't a great handling car yet. Drive both the GS 430 and 300 back to back and you will see that the 430 is much closer to the Lexus targeted BMW.

IMHO Lexus made two big blunders by not bringing the 350 engine now (even Motor Trend in their GS 300 test this month said the engine struggled) and by not including the extra performance goodies found on the 430. In magazine testing the 430 will fare much better against the competiton than the 300 would.
  • tinypoemtinypoem Member Posts: 26
    For those of us who live in the city and rarely drive over 70 mph is the hp a issue? Is there a noticeable difference in the city between a 300 anda 350?
    To say that the ES will handle better (more like a GS) once it gets a bigger engine (350) is an unwarranted assumption. When the ES went from a 3.0 to a 3.3, the handling was unchanged; in other words, great handling as long as you were moving in a straight line. If you want to turn, that's a whole other ball game. Don't forget your dramamine (for sea sickness).
    Wow--I didn't realize my rather naive question (GS vs LS) would spark such a strand. Passion is evident in among these posts---

IMO- The best point made was related to the GS's not being distinct and sporty enough. They are definitly polished well put together cars. Nevertheless, I'd have to describe Lexus's move with this iteration and timid and very conservative.

I can't imagine anyone genuinly considering the new GS as a BOLD move by Lexus towards BMW turf-----We can say what we want to about BMW's new style being off etc etc-----It's change the fact that it was a BOLD move by them and it's paid off they sell a ton of the new 5's and 7's-----Maybe it's because I'm in Florida but the few new GS's I've seen on the road have much older drivers in them---than the drivers of BMW's and even Audi---

If you're talking Lexus then--LS is the play!
    One more thing-- Last weekend two Lexus Salesmen (one was a Mgr) at different dealerships said the GS's that they are moving are radically weighted towards purchases verses Lease's---and both overtly acknowleged that it's becoming problematic and very hard for their customers to rationalize verses like competition---One even had me right down the lease's I've found with the 545i, 530i, and A6----in order to "make a point to the GM that we've being trying to make"........Same guy said residuals being offered are 10 to 15% points lower than any other models they sell or have sold in the past----

I wonder how long until Lexus supports more attractive leases?
  • adb3adb3 Member Posts: 112
    Some of you folks have the habit of mixing up your personal preferences as being synonomous with mainstream thinking. I don't have a problem if you're disappointed with the 3rd Gen GS. Then by all means don't buy it. If you don't like the look, ok. If you don't think it has enough HP, ok. If there are certain aspects of the car that you just couldn't live with and thus just can't see yourself owning one, then again ok. But to get on this board to discuss ad nauseum your rationale for not buying the new GS is frankly getting rather tiresome. You certainly don't speak for me and others like me. This is my 4th Lexus and 3rd GS. I'll admit I have a strong bias toward Lexus but even so, I don't spend this kind of money lightly. And after thoroughly researching the competition it still came down to Lexus, and only Lexus. You see, I don't need the fastest or the so-called best handling or even the sportiest car available. What I look for is a good balance in all those attributes with heavy weight on one other key attribute, reliability. So, from someone who actually OWNS the new GS let me say that it has not only met but exceeded my lofty expectations. This car is so well made and rock-solid that it's almost amazing. Quality-wise, it far exceeds the 2nd Gen GS and IMO approaches the LS's legendary status. BTW, an added benny is that the gas mileage from the new 6 spd transmission is terrific.

At the end of the day, the consumer will be the ultimate judge of the 3rd Gen GS. Not this board, not car mags but regular folks will vote with their dollars as to what they prefer. It's funny and yes still early, but with all the hoopla of the stalwart Infiniti Ms, the GS still outsold them by about 1K copies last month. I'm still flabbergasted that when I went by my dealer a couple of weeks ago, they had sold every GS on the lot except the demos. Evidently, others besides myself thinks the GS is pretty good.

So if you want to buy the LS, or wait on the hybrid or buy another brand, be my guest. I just don't want someone who is using this board to decide on the purchase of their next vehicle to get only a one-sided view of the new GS. For me, the new GS is a great vehicle as based on my personal ownership, and I don't think I'm alone with that opinion.
    Since you've had several different GS's in the past, could you compare the '06 with previous models you've had, specifically handling and ride.
  • jhamilton1jhamilton1 Member Posts: 22
    bartalk,

We've owned our new GS 300 for a month. It's our 3rd Lexus and our 2nd GS (the GS we traded-in was an '03 w/15K miles). The '06 is FAR superior in virtually every cpmparison you might care to make. Runs better, rides better, handles better, looks better, is quieter, etc., etc. etc.. The only negative is that it's slightly tighter, spacewise, in the interior. I'm a 6 footer and my head still clears the headliner (front and rear) but it is closer to the top than in the '03. Still, it was an easy choice trading for the '06. An added (and unexpected) bonus is the MPG we're getting. So far, in primarily local (city/semi-city) driving we're averaging over 25MPG. We feel sure the 30MPG EPA rating for Highway Mileage will be easily achieved. At this point in time we absolutely love the car. It may not be in the same class (sportwise) as the BMW or M-Sport, but it looks lots better, will retain it's resale value better and it is, after all, still . . . . a Lexus. A different car for a different taste. And we find it most, uh . . . tasty!

Hope this helps. :D
    drtravel,

I was under the impression that the y2007 ES will move further away from the Camry platform. Is this correct?
    bartalk3,

I realize that an ES will never be a GS-my point is only that if the ES comes out first with the 350 engine and has similar bells and whistles as the GS and is less expensive, then some people might be swayed to save a few bucks and get the ES. Also, those wanting more room than the new GS has to offer and at the same time, do not want to spend the bucks for an LS, may consider the ES.

I actually like the new GS, but my husband is 6'4" and there just isn't much room for him. Still trying to decide between the GS300, and M35.
    jhamilton,

Thanks for the comparison between the earlier GS and the current model. There are so few people on this board who have owned both that your comparisons are especially valuable. I drove an '04 last year, but was not particularly impressed with the handling. From brief test drives with the '06 recently , the handling seemed much improved (although from a short drive it was difficult to tell, but your experience seems to confirm it).

Aside from everything else, the mileage is definitely a consideration. Both the Infiniti M and the Acura RL have EPA mileage ratings that are much lower. And the previous GS did not get great mileage either.

I assume you got rear-wheel drive? What options did you get and what would you recommend?

Thanks.
    kmg68,

re: comparison between the ES and GS. My guess is that the bigger 3.5l engine will be introduced in both the ES and GS at about the same time next year, with the GS given slightly more power. That will neutralize the appeal of the ES for possible GS buyers.

If your husband is 6'4", I'd stay away from the current GS. All agree that headroom front and back is tight.
    I would suggest the M35, probably non-sport version if you feel its a little rough around the edges. The RL and GS are just too tight for somebody 6'4".
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    "IMHO Lexus made two big blunders by not bringing the 350 engine now..."

From a marketing standpoint, Lexus could not bring the 3.5 to market at launch. That engine puts out 280hp on the low end. That would make it almost pointless to have the 300hp GS 430. Almost nobody would pay the extra money for 20hp. So, Lexus has to wait until the 4.6 is ready and the GS 430 becomes the GS 460 (with additional hp). Then the GS 300 can, and will, become the GS 350.
  • adb3adb3 Member Posts: 112
    jhamilton is right on the mark. I previously owned 2 GS3s so it was time to move up to the 430. Handling, ride, fit and finish are all superior to the 2nd Gen. My old GS was still under warranty, so I could have waited for the hybrid, or the more powerful engine, etc., etc. But why wait for my enjoyment? There will always be something newer that comes along and besides I don't have a crystal ball to predict where I'll be or what condition I'll be in a year or 18 months from now.

On a side note, the new VDIM system in the 430 is quite an interesting technological offering. I know some car enthusiasts are bemoaning the fact that it can't be turned off, but for normal drivers, who cares? All I know is that on paper it could get a driver out of a sticky situation and ultimately could save some lives. It also potentially could provide much better emergency handling prowess during harsh weather and other terse conditions. I hope mine never has to be engaged, but I sure feel safer that its there if I need it.

Once again, I'm not touting that the new GS is for everybody, it certainly isn't. Particularly in this car segment, there are some terrific offerings out there. But all things considered, the new GS is pretty darn good.
    Lexus should have brought both the GS 350 and GS 460 out now. All GS 300 competitors have more poweful engines like the M35 and E350 which just came out. Even the Avalon has a 280 hp 350 in it.

When they finally bring the GS 350 the mags will say "this is the engine it should have had from the beginning."

But I understand the marketing, Lexus can sell a bunch of brand new GS 300s now then "reinvent" (most likely Fall 2006) the GS with the 350 engine and sell a bunch more. Previous generation GSs have started out with strong sales numbers and then faded away. This strategy will create two intitial strong numbers.

By the way the GS 430 is a much better automobile than the GS 300 and not just because of the engine.
  • mks4mks4 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I purchased a GS300AWD as I am in Boston and need it for the winters. Once I got the car with all the NAV/ML, tourmaline wheels, etc, the price was close to the base of the GS430? Can someone tell me how the interiors of the GS300 and GS430 are different, I was told they are the same by our sales guy?