Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    The next GS will go on sale at dealers on March 1, 2005. It has still not been announced whether the car will initially be a 2005 or a 2006 model, although I'm pretty sure it will be a 2006.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    That would make sense - late 1st quarter 2005 seems too late to introduce an 05 model. It already sounds stale!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    they did the same thing with the '02 SC430. The GS will probably skip the '05 model year.
  • boomsamaboomsama Posts: 362
    Any ideas of when there might be a "first drive"?
    Autoweek would be a good place to try, though I'm sure Edmunds will get one soon :)
    i looked around net, and a site said that air suspension would come standard with the '06 GS. Any ideas?
    There are some controls pictured here behind the gear shift. Might they be used for the sat nav?

http://gallery.dealerrater.com/gallery/xl/100_1384.jpg
    The air suspension is one of the options on the LS, so thats definitely a possibility, but as standard equipment, especially on a GS300 seems unlikely. My guess is that, like the LS, an air suspension and the "Euro-tuned sport suspension" will be options. As for what those buttons are for, I honestly dont know. They look like zoom controls, so it could be for the nav. At the same time, it is a pre-production car, so they may not be there at all.
    I think that they could possibly be used for kind of like the iDrive and MMI controls?
    Strongly doubt it. Lexus is touch screen controls are the best and easiest to use in the industry (though Acura is a very close second). I dont see any reason for them to move to a pointless, needlessly complex system like BMW or Audi.
    ok. do you think that the AWD system that the GS300 is getting will most likely be rear wheel biased? e.g. 60% to rear, 40% to front, or something of the sort?
    which lexus do you think is the most comfortable (seat wise, and ride) one? Besides the LS that is, its a tad too expensive.
    Most likely, their AWD system, like that of the 330xi and G35x, will be RWD biased, and basically give traction to the front wheels when necessary. It would be very strange for them to take a car that has always been RWD to a 50\50 or FWD bias.

I think they are all very comfortable cars, though the LS as the flagship best demonstrates their "passionate persuit." The ES330 though is an extremely comfortable car, though by no means a sporting machine. You really cant go wrong with any Lexus though as far as seat comfort is concerned. The LS and ES have the creamiest ride quality, but the GS (at least in my only slightly biased opinion) is still more comfortable for long distance travel than its direct competition; E, A6, and 5.

Would you consider like a C.P.O. '02 LS430? A new one can approach $70K if you start throwing on options (though still dirt cheap compared to S and 7) but one a few years old can be had for GS300 prices.
    The GS seems to be one of the Lexi that has the longer seat cushion in the front. The ES, RX, IS have reasonably shorter cushions.

Is the GS comfortable during the drive though?
    The time I spent behind the wheel of a '01 GS430 was very comfortable, but I've never gone cross country in one or anything. You'd really have to get behind the wheel and see how it feels, what is comfortable to me may be completely the opposite for someone else. A lot of the automags praise Volvo chairs, but I found the S80 to be extremely uncomfortable. Those whiplash protection headrests gave me a back ache.
    I'm looking at the RX330, but the GS300 seems to be a lot more comfortable, with the practicalities of a sedan (easier to get in/out, less body roll). The equipment of the two are about the same, but the RX comes at $30,000 AUD cheaper than the GS. The GS seems to be aging as well (obviously), with the coming of the '06 GS.
    What should i do?
    Well, the RX330 is brand new for this year, and so it has a lot of features that arent available on the current GS (air suspension, sport package, rear mounted camera, swiveling headlights, etc) but its a very different car. Great for holding a lot of stuff, and it can certainly tow a lot more than any GS. Not exactly what I would call a "drivers" car though. If you want a GS, I would suggest either a certified pre-owned '01 or '01 GS430, or, wait for the new car.
    the only choice is to choose either the current GS or the '06 GS. I personally haven't driven the GS or riden in one, but im a kind of person who would get a grin on my face by a camry 1MZ-FE. The current GS seems like it would be good enough for me, since I heard it gives pretty good performance, and a very nice ride. Seats are also comfy. I've had a look around at the '06 GS, and the seats dont seem to be completely leather, i.e. middle area has some sort of cloth instead of leather. I don't know whether or not the '06 GS will also have its ride stiffened, making the car not as comfortable for long trips.
    Would like some assistance. Thanks for the help so far lexusguy.

(AFS, air suspension, etc. arent available down here for the RX either btw)
  • aggie76aggie76 Posts: 265
    I'm the original owner of a '98 GS300 (2nd Gen) and have taken it on numerous trips every year driving 900-1,000 miles in a day, several back-to-back days too, ever since buying it in late '97 and now have 90,000 miles on it. Plus did two long daily commutes to work during different periods, one of 110 miles round trip and the other 62 miles round trip. It's extremely comfortable for me and I'm 6'2" and am over 250lbs. Sufficient performance for my taste and a wonderful ride. The seats have great support and I just enjoy getting in and going for a drive.

Tires are important to the ride comfort I found. I have used OEM Turanza's, Michelin Pilot Sports, and am now on a set of Michelin MXV4Plus for summer and Artic Alpin for winter with excellent ride comfort. Turanza's were just ok, the Pilots were a great handling tire but rode a little rough but I enjoyed pushing the edge more. The MXV4's have about 10k on them and are excellent.
    I think the current GS is and has always been a great buy. While I would certainly not claim that it would out handle the old 540iA with the sport package, NVAH, comfort, features, and price are better than the old BMW, and so far nobody has really warmed to the new 5. you cant stay the best forever. The E I think is the only competition seriously worth considering, but there are plenty of things I dont like about that car as well (COMMAND system, electo-hydraulic brakes, reports of shaky reliability, $$$$$$) If you're going for the current GS, I would suggest a lightly used one, just for the savings as their really isnt anything at all that seperates an '04 from an '01. Perhaps you saw some sort of leather\suede combo? I havent heard anything about that.

Several people have recommended the MXV4s, I just may have to check those out.
    whats the difference between the '01 GS and the ones before?
  • aggie76aggie76 Posts: 265
    Biggest visual is the change in the rear taillight dropping the turnsignal to the bottom instead of being centered I believe. There may have been other changes but owning a '98 I really haven't kept up with them specifically.
    All the gauges on the '06 GS have like a stainless steel-like look backing. Would they have worse visibility than the gauges in the current GS?

lexusguy- the photos of the seats that arent full leather:
    http://gallery.dealerrater.com/gallery/xl/100_1389.jpg
    http://gallery.dealerrater.com/gallery/xl/100_1388.jpg

The base of the front seat also seem somewhat shorter than the current GS.
    The first generation GS ran from 93-97, and was only available as the GS300. It got a complete redesign for '98, as the GS300\400. Both of the cars from 98-00 had the E-shift manumatic steering wheel shift controls (the V8 lost that for '01), and I believe a NAV system was first offered in '99. It was the first generation NAV system though, and not nearly as good as the 2nd and 3rd (current) gen NAV systems. It also deleted the optional Nakamachi sound system. '99-00 GS with Nav is pretty much impossible to find anyway. The '00 car added standard brake-assist.

'01 was a significant freshening, with revised headlamps, grill, and tail lamps, the 4.3L VVTi ULEV V8 (The 3.0L 6 was a carry over), and the Xenon lights became standard. Also, front\rear side curtain airbags were added, there's more wood in the interior, it got the updated NAV system, and the Nakamachi package was dropped for Mark Levinson. The steering wheel changed with the rest of Lexus 3-spoke wheeled cars for '01-03 (ES, GS, IS, RX, SC) and secondary audio controls, and the standard 16" alloy design was changed. The 3-tunnel gagues also appear to be slightly restyled (same black on white with a light green illumination though), and the '01 cars got some chrome trim around the gauges.

The seats of the '06 look to have a perforated leather insert in the center, unless Im mistaken.
    those ones look more like a cloth kind of material, however there are the perforated leather seats as well:

http://autoz.org/w/lexus/Lexus_GS430_2006_020.jpg

The '06 GS looks a lot more muscular and more modern. I think I'll just go for the '06 GS300 next year, and add the options.

I heard that 18" wheels are standard with the GS430, so thats good to hear. Prices will probably increase quite a lot though. A site predicted it to be $62,000 - $80,000 canadian dollars. Which model thats for, i dont know.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    lexusguy,

Actually, the 2nd generation GS had a GPS system right from the beginning for the 1998 model year.
    I actually would not expect much of an increase. The RX330 got a huge amount of features added over the RX300, and the price stayed pretty much the same, maybe $1500 more than a fully optioned RX300 for a fully optioned RX330. I would guess $40,000 US for the GS300, and $50,000 for the GS430. Prices will definitely be below 530i and E320.
    Good to hear. Since the GS430 is not available here, the GS300 comes standard with everything currently. So will i actually see a drop in the price since the GS430 may be available here?
    Is there a possibility that the GS will have the SAME version of AWD as the RX and get 50/50 torque distribution, or a rear biased AWD?
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    "It got a complete redesign for '98, as the GS300\400. Both of the cars from 98-00 had the E-shift manumatic steering wheel shift controls (the V8 lost that for '01)..."

Just a correction...from 1998-2000 only the GS 400 had the E-shift controls, the GS 300 did not (my family has a 1999 GS 300). When the V8 went from the GS 400 to the GS 430 in 2001, the E-shift controls were gone but appeared on the GS 300. I remember something about E-shift not being compatible with the 4.3 engine. I haven't kept up with the current GS 300 so I don't know whether or not it still has E-shift.