Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• Somehow the RX had not been on my radar screen. I guess after years in the van the idea of a car sounded better. What pleases your wife so about this? Do I need to go the RX330 board?
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    "The clean sweep of five individual segment awards by Lexus and the record 10 awards overall is a significant achievement," said Don Esmond, TMS senior vice president, automotive operations. "As we continue to expand our manufacturing operations globally, it is gratifying to see that we continue to prioritize quality."
    The Lexus SC 430 hard top convertible and the LS 430 luxury sedan finished one-two in the study overall, as well as the premium luxury car segment."

The LS430 is the planets most reliable sedan, but the SC430 takes top honors for any car. It set JD records again this year, with PP 100 vehicles below 50.

minivanmama1, reliability for Infiniti and Acura is very good...but they cant come close to Lexus. Acura in particular did rather poorly (for Acura) in IQ this year. I think problems with the TL and RL especially are hurting them.

As for the RX, as a luxury SUV, its a fabulous car. My wife has an '01 RX300 and still loves it. Even though it uses the ES330 as a foundation, the RX330 was all new for 2004, and offers a lot of features you cant get on the ES such as a power tilt\telescope steering column with memory and a rear back-up camera. Loading up an RX will bring the price to the mid to high 40s though. I would suggest a loaded CPO '04 RX330 if you want to go the RX route. Get all the features without paying the price, (or taking nearly any penalty in terms of warranty time).

Its true that repairs and such for a Lexus, Infiniti, or Acura will cost more than for Toyota, Honda, and Nissan. Its just part of owning a luxury car. Is it worth it? Absolutely. What I would suggest, is plan to spend several hours at a Lexus dealer. Try out an ES330, a used GS430, a used LS430, and an RX330. They are all very different cars, and you should really get a feel for what each one is like, and what they can offer, before making a decision.
  • jj4u2cjj4u2c Posts: 2
    I was just reading all these forums and everybody seems to be happy with there car's as am I. I just bought mine 3 weeks ago and we love it, But I do have a question for all of you. I am looking for a front end mask or (bra) if you will. and can't seem to find anything out there. I would like to keep the front end as clean as possible when i take it out on the freeway. Also I ended up buying the GS300 but my wife really likes the wheels off the GS430 the dealer would not let me trade up these wheels for the five spoke with out pay an arm or leg. Does anybody have a set they want to get rid of?
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    I really wouldnt recommend one of those car bras. In many cases they will do more damage to the paint then not having one.

As for wheels, try ebay. Its a good place to get un or very lightly used oem wheels that people have taken off their cars for customs, at way below dealer prices.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi - glad you are enjoying your new ride! As lexusguy mentions, eBay is a good bet for replacement wheels. I need to remind you that we don't use these Forums for buying or selling anything (see link to MA on left or email me), but we can help point you in the right direction. Have fun!
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    I would get one of the clear front end bra's. Check out www.xpel.com for example.
  • r1_97r1_97 Posts: 181
    It's got enough space for large packages/garden supplies etc. She gets a good view of the road because seats are higher than sedans, it's Lexus quality and luxury, it looks good, runs great, relatively cheap on gas compared w/ other SUVs.

You can go to the RX330 board, but better, test drive one yourself. Test all the cars on your radar screen and let us know what you like and don't like.
  • jj4u2cjj4u2c Posts: 2
    Thanks guy's the info on the clear bra was good! I'll get back to you guys in a bit....
  • alans1alans1 Posts: 3
    Just picked up my Matador red/cashmere GS 430 three weeks ago in S Florida. It is without a doubt the most technologically advanced vehicle I have ever driven. I did not select the precollision system but everything else. The navigation system and DVD base is light years ahead of CD arangement of yesteryear.

With six speed transmission is moves incredibly smooth and seems faster than the 2002 GS 430 I previously owned. I can't imagine driving without the back up camera.

I wish the Blue tooth had a way to pick up some calls as "private" thought the convenience of hands free is reassuring when driving.

The fit finish and color combination shows the attention to detail of Lexus.
    After much debate and haggling I was able to reduce the price of $58334 to 54800.

I wish I had added the XM satellite system at the port because it cost $700 at the dealer . Oh well my fault. Climate controls and audio interface much improved. GReat sound from ML surround sound but with only 100 watts going to subwoofer I am bringing the car into to have an Infinity 10" sub with amp of 200watts added to trunk .
    This is a compact self contained unit that I have previously used in another vehilce.Since I am not a teen or 20 something, 300 watts of bass and 550 watts of sound overall is more than enough for my 50 yr old ears.

The GS 430 is far superior to the Infinity M45 which I drove . That is a powerful car but much heavier by 250 LBS over GS 430 and you feel the difference. The Infinity roars when you accelerate and corners awkwardly , the inertia resists sudden changes in direction as the shocks strain to compensate. The Lexus is silky smooth and feels cat like.
    A touch screen is always preferable to a dial or knob.

SEats were comfortable and adjusts with three settings for driver and passenger.

Well worth the price and enjoyment level.I wouldn't let the dealer sell it to you for anything close to list.

Flint mica was my second choice....also beautiful.
  • jonesok1jonesok1 Posts: 97
    Congrats on your new G4. The more you drive it, the more you'll like it, at least that's been the case with my GS430. I agree totally with your impressions. There really is no comparison to the GS430 for overall balance. Yes, the M45 may be a bit faster, and may handle a bit tighter, but in everyday driving, it doesn't compare to the ride, comfort and luxury of the GS430 at all in my opinion.

I didn't want the nav-and as for ML, I only listen to news anyway, so that's not too important to me. I used to have Sirius, and I've been informed by Sirius OEM rep that a new kit will be available for the GS around August or so. I've looked at the installation, and while you could spend a lot of time installing it because the instructions have you taking off the bumper and other panels to route the antennae cable, in reality, it could be routed a lot easier and quicker just be dropping it over the edge to the recevier which mounts under the rear window panel. I may just do it myself. The XM kit cost is about $300 alone, so you paid $400 for the install, which, if done according to the book, is understandable.

Enjoy!

One sweet ride.
  • indiana97indiana97 Posts: 58
    I purchased a GS300 about 3 wks ago and I am also very impressed with the smooth 6 sp. trans, fit and finish, "bells "etc...... I had a 2000 GS300 and the new GS300 is more refined, smoother and faster. I have the base stereo and fill it has great sound and clarity. I did not really want nav. and I could not see a significant difference in sound to justify another $2000+. I bought the car with the sat. radio. The dealer was to install the XM. I did not like the location of the antenna (side of the trunk) that was recommended by Lexus. I got the car and delayed having the XM installed. I did some further checking as to where the antenna could go. Many on Club Lexus website had antenna installed on the inside of the car on the rear deck by or under the rear light housing. I then heard that Sirius was coming out with a dealer install for the GS this summer. I am hoping to get Sirius put in by Aug. I also have been given info regarding Sirius having an interior antenna behind the rear view mirror. Also heard that XM is going to have a smaller better located antenna available shortly. I had Sirius (FM mod.) in my RX330 I traded. I like the program options of Sirius (NBA, College football (Big Ten), NCAA basketball and NASCAR next yr. Also like the fact that Sirius is independent. Research has indicated that XM owned by Clear Channel who is editing much of the music, etc. found on XM. I was a bit disturbed by that if it is true. Anyway, I like the idea of having a choice of XM or Sirius and a better placement of the antenna. Whatever, I want the Satellite option. My Lexus dealer has been great regarding the delay in installing the satelitte radio. Again I love my GS300 and highly recommend the car.
  • lexi300lexi300 Posts: 36
    Congrats on your new GS300. I just got mine about 10 days ago and am in heaven. White with cashmire interior. I didn't get ML, nav, or parking, but most everything else. I didn't get XM because I already have a MiFi and prefer the portability. I mount the really small antenna on the trunk and snake the wire through the passthrough.

It's not true that XM is owned by ClearChannel. At one point, CC was an investor, but I think they own less than 3% of XM now, if that. I've visited the XM HQ in DC. It's really state-of-the-art, but all the employees have a blast. For me, I'd rather have MLB and XMPR. I can't give two hoots for Howard Stern. But, to each her own, and if Sirius gets better, I can get a Sirius-style MyFi.
  • epatepat Posts: 1
    I ordered a GS300 approximately 2 months ago. The dealer quoted a three month delivery time. Has it taken anyone more time than this on the east coast?
  • indiana97indiana97 Posts: 58
    Sorry about ClearChannel owning XM but the editing is said to be going on re: the Group that now has XM. I hope you are correct because the last thing we need is more control over the airways/media as to what we are able to hear especially when you pay for the service. Like buying a car. I want the to be sure I am getting accurate information so I can make an informed decision.
    Back to the GS. Lexi300 do you feel the base sound system has high quality sound? I can not believe how much better the base sound system is in the new GS300 when compared to the base sound system in the RX330 I had. Maybe it's the subs or the GS has better insulation or is more confined then the RX. Whatever, I enjoy the sound system much more in the GS then I did in my RX. Given the hot weather we have been having, I love the ventilated seats too!!!! Only thing I wish I had in my GS is the auto wipers. Mine did not come with them. I guess it was an option that did not come in the package in our region. I had them in the RX and liked them. I just thought they would have been standard.
  • lexi300lexi300 Posts: 36
    I did not compare the ML to the base sound directly, so I can't say. I think the ML would be VERY useful for a user who had many 5.1 or 7.1 DVD audio discs. It would make all the difference. But I only own two DVD audio discs. For me, the ability to play video DVDs isn't an issue because I would never watch them while driving (system won't let you anyway, and who wants to crack up a beautiful car), and I have a laptop for watching DVDs while travelling that I can take with me.

I mostly listen to XM, and -- as good as it is -- it is still not CD quality. So I don't think a highly upgraded sound system would help me much.

I am very satisfied with the base sound system when I play XM from the MyFi over it, using a tape adapter, even when I listen to XM Classics.

One annoyance, though: I wish everyone would put an aux jack in the center console like BMW does on at least some of their models. Between iPods, satellite radios, and whatever is coming next, it would be very nice not to have the clutter (and potential noise) of a tape adapter.

Who listens to cassettes anymore, anyway?

The ventillated seats are awesome. Truly awesome. Mine did come with the auto wipers; I've used them already and was very happy with the setting as I drove through different amounts of rain. Mine also came with a compact spare, as well as run-flats (it's an AWD).

Enjoy!
  • jonesok1jonesok1 Posts: 97
    I received information from Sirius's OEM rep that the kit for Sirius will be available for the GS around 8-1. So you may get your wish.
  • You might have already answered this, but where did you buy your gs430?

Thanks
  • mvs1mvs1 Posts: 462
    Just to 2nd the clear bra option. The leather or vinyl ones often times scratch the front portion of the hood removing paint. I've personally used clear bras on Carrera's. The clear bra's may need to be replaced every say 3 years depending on the brand used but that's better then having paint chips.
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    Motor Trend did a road test with the Infinti M45 against the Lexus GS430, and here it is.

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0505_risingsun/index.html
  • jgs2006jgs2006 Posts: 4
    I just got my new GS2006 the 18th of June love it but I went to bestbuy Sunday and got a DVD audio to try out my new ML sound system and it wouldn’t play? :confuse: it plays CD's and burned CDs no problem and sounds great but no DVD audio and that was the thing that they told me over and over about. ummm oh well I am going to the deal today Monday because they ask me to because they made a small scratch when they where removing the rapping’s nothing big, you can only see it when you look at it in the sunlight up-close, I guess I’ll ask then. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem?

PS the dealer told me after I got it, that it had Dynamic Radar Cruise Control on it but I didn’t get Pre-Collision Safety, is he right that I can have Dynamic Radar Cruise Control with out PCS? Or do you need PCS?
  • iwangs04iwangs04 Posts: 22
    Lexus Owners,
    I have a decision to make and would like to get a survey from your personal opinion.
    I am stumbling on 2 cars to buy, Lexus GS vs Infinity M series. I personally love the Lexus’ quality, reliability and style more than Infiniti, but the Infiniti is not far off from those regards. As for the price, I have problem with the Lexus. GS price is seemed higher than the M, where M price can be negotiable better & GS is pretty firmed. As far as the performance, the M is a winner which has more power than the GS. Even James Healey (car Test Drive on Usatoday.com) agrees that the M is better and more satisfactory.
    So from what I see, Infiniti is the bang for the buck. What are your reasons for buying the GS over the M?
    All comments are most welcome
    TIA
    WantmyGS
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Posts: 541
    Its the markup - I too am shopping the GS300 vs. the M35. The GS300 has an ~$8000 markup vs. the Infiniti's of $4000. Thats amazing.

Lexus GS300 w/ ML Nav Package, Moonroof, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Parking Assist, Ventilated Seats, Spoiler, Power Rear SunShade = MSRP of $50,215 and Invoice of $42,542 (thats how Nav is packaged in Houston).

Infiniti M35 w/ Journey, Nav, and Full Size Spare = MSRP of $45,740 and Invoice of $41,795. (these are the options I want).

I am well aware of Lexus' reputation for customer service (enough folks on this board have touted it); but I suppose for double the markup over Infiniti the customer service SHOULD be better - your paying for it.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Posts: 292
    I'm not a Lexus owner, but I'm in the same boat as you (with the addition of the BMW 530xi into the mix as well).

In my opinion, the M35X feels bigger inside, and feels more solid (not that the Lexus feels shoddy by any means). However, the Infiniti is a five speed whereas the Lexus is a six speed. The engine noise in the Infiniti bothers me a bit - at 70 MPH it is as 3000 RPMs, where most cars are around 2000 or 2500. I haven't decided yet if it bothers me enough to cross the M off my list, though.

The GS has run-flat tires, which (to me) makes the ride harsher. Sure, I could replace them with regular all seasons once the run-flats wear out (which will be quick since they will only last 15K or 20K miles), but it is still an issue. The GS feels a little smaller inside, and in my opinion the M has a better interior. The GS does have a touch screen, though, which is very nice. It also has auto-lock doors and rain sensing wipers. Sure, those aren't Big Deals, but they do get added to the GS "pro" list and Infiniti's "con" list.

The GS is more expensive - no doubt about it - but based on the last line in your post, it seems you want to be talked into the GS and have valid reasons instead of just "WantmyGS". Makes sense, but look at it this way: picture yourself five years from now in the Infiniti, driving down the highway, and you see a GS. How would you feel? Do the same in reverse (the thinking, not the driving). How would you feel? I think that will give you the answer you want.

Also, you should test drive one, then IMMEDIATLY test drive the other. Later that night, see which one you think about more.

Problem solved. :)
  • Same here fellows- I went to infiniti first- test drove the M35, way too loud, 5 speed auto not 6, not enough luxury feel to it, thought the back lights were not attractive. Next stops were lexus and BMW. After testdriving the gs300 I didnt need to go to BMW, I was sold- and I got my black GS300 the following week (2K off msrp and trade in of my accord V6 2003 for wholesale price) and love it ever since. The ride is just to die for, like sitting on a feather blanket cruising on the highway at 75mph and the car looks absolutely killer- it's just so sexy, so un-boxy like the M, i'm in love with this car. Oh did I mention 30mpg?

You get what you pay for friends, there is indeed a reason for the larger markup- and it works both ways- when you go trade in your M35 and your GS, you'll get paid for the markup believe me...

JP
    Not sure who an above post was talking to; but I am absolutely NOT wanting someone to talk me into buying anything. The GS, M, and RL are on my short list primarily due to budget; with the M first and the GS and RL following. If it were not for the noise questions the M would be the ONLY car on my list. I readily acknowledge (many do not) that there is no such thing as a perfect vehicle - all vehicles purchases are a compromise between the buyers needs, wants, and budget. No one needs a Luxury vehicle although many want one and some can afford one. Actually if cost were no object none of these three cars would even be a consideration :surprise: ;)

Alas money is an object and the Lexus premium may or may not be worth it. I absolutely do not want to ride on a "feather blanket" however I do desire a quiet ride. Both the GS and the M are sexy curvacious vehicles w/o a hint of boxiness to them (looks like the same designer had a hand in them both). Resale value has not been proven for either yet, however residuals are very strong for the M and I suspect that it will do very well.

In virtually ALL comparison tests the M has won over both the GS and the RL so that it cannot be said that the M is not a worthy competitor to the GS. The intent of my original post was to solicit some insight into why there is such a high Premium on the Lexus. Both cars are excellent, both are well built and reliable, so should I pay a Premium for one over the other?

Put it another way; since a Premium is absolutely NOT justified on the vehicle mechanics alone (as evidenced by virtually all reviews) is Lexus "name" and "customer service" worth the Premium (which is undeniably why it is there)? This is a serious question; is the Lexus name and service ALONE worth a $4000 Premium? :confuse: You may get what you pay for, but is it worth it?
  • In virtually ALL comparison tests the M has won over both the GS

===========

Most of the "tests" primarily care about from reading the reviews is horespower, handling, performance- most of us daily drivers care about luxury, comfort, reliability, resale. Compare the plastic content in an infiniti interior and a lexus. Compare the wood quality too. Again, there is a reason for the Lexus costing more.
  • mfprmfpr Posts: 41
    Only you can answer your own question as to whether the Lexus name and service are worth a $4000 premium. Infiniti has a very good reputation for customer service, so I suspect there is probably little difference between the two. The only benefit to a customer in the Lexus name is probably resale value. Up to now, Lexus has enjoyed better resale values than comparable Infiniti's. With the G & M Series Infiniti's, that could change in the future. Either car will cost you more now than if you wait 6 months or so until the newness wears off. The GS probably has more standard equipment than the M and gets much better fuel economy, based on owners' reports. But the bottom line is get what you like best. I suspect the total cost of ownership (maintenance, fuel, resale, etc.) will cost you about the same.
    ... most of us daily drivers care about luxury, comfort, reliability, resale. Compare the plastic content in an infiniti interior and a lexus. Compare the wood quality too. Again, there is a reason for the Lexus costing more.

Sounds like its pretty subjective then. Again resale is an unknown in new models. I've sat in and driven both and I see no obvious quality differences. Do you have a link that quantifies a supposed plastic content difference? Is there a link that

I would love some credible hard evidence of superior interior parts to the tune of $4000 between these cars; from what I can gather from reviews, test drives, forums, etc - the only "substantial" differences are personal subjective preferences. And that is OK! Anyone buying a $40K+ car needs to prefer it over others.

But what I'm trying to get a grip on are objective differences to justify the Premium cost - and I can not do so.

PS: I really like them both (in different ways), but cost is a very real part of the decision formula and that is what I'm studying now.
  • jo2jo2 Posts: 41
    Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone knew if or when Lexus would have a factory installed Sirius option available. I hear they have it available for some models but not the 06 GS300. If anyone has any information or any resources please post info...

Thanks!
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Posts: 292
    Not sure who an above post was talking to

I wasn't referring to you or your message, which is why my reply had a subject of "Re: [iwangs04]" instead of "Re: [msu79gt82]". As I said in my reply, the last line of his message was "WantmyGS", which is what I was talking about.

I agree about the noise issue - it's really bumming me out. If not for that I would have already pulled the trigger on an M35X. :(

I agree also about the Lexus name/customer service adding on the additional $$$. Here's a test I should try: offer Infiniti $4K over sticker, with the condition that they bend over backwards for me. I'll bet they'll agree. ;)