Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    JDM means Japanese domestic market. The outgoing A6 3.0 might have the same 220hp as the GS300, but its quite a bit slower. Slower even than a 525i, even with only 184hp. The outgoing A6 had a gorgeous interior (what happened Audi??), better than the outgoing GS300. The problem is though its been absolutely riddled with horrible quality problems. CR lists used A6's as a "risk" on their list of repeat offenders of worst used cars. It also made the PA\NJ list of highest lemon law cases. Not qualities I generally look for in a car.
  • boomsamaboomsama Posts: 362
    Anyone know how long ago the Toyota Crown Royal/Athlete was released?

The next GS' seat looks a bit short too. It only looks about as long as the ES330's seat, which isnt very supportive :(
    Is there someway to extend the seat as well?
    I looked around a bit at the next IS. It said that it would come in 2.5 and 3.5L variants. Might the GS be using the same 3.5L V6 but tweaked a bit more to make it more powerful?
    Boomsama, your guess is as good as mine :)
    bit off topic...again...do any of Lexus' cars offer sports seats, ones that actually support your body and wrap around it? Not as in just big and soft.
    Aside fom the IS, no. This whole "sport thing" is very new to Lexus, so seats with sticky faux suede and agressive side bolstering arent options yet.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    The 2006 GS(from pictures) looks to have big side bolsters for a luxury car.
    like a 5 or A6 with SP though?
    The seats on the S6/RS6 have MASSIVE side bolsters.

Another thing...Are there actually two different types of sat navs that toyota and lexus use? I've got a toyota camry with sat nav, and the interface looks pretty normal, quite casual.
    I took a ES300 for a test drive one day, and the sat nav was a LOT different. Well the layout was anyway. It was green and the menus seemed more sophisticated. It even had a compass and a screen that showed your longtitude and latitued.

Is the one that Lexus uses just an older version? Or is it suppose to be a higher spec, more classy version?
    I'm sure there are some software changes for Lexus NAV screens. Though I dont really have much experience with a Toyota nav system.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    I have a 2002 ES 300 with a nav and am very familiar with it. This is the exact same system that is in the Toyotas.

However, Lexus recently significantly upgraded the nav system with much cooler graphics. For example, on my "radio" screen it is all shades of gray. On the new one you can select from 4-5 bright colors. The new system also has around five million points of interest vs. mine that has around one million. Plus, there are sounds you can program in for certain destinations (like a doorbell when you arrive home) and you can locate businesses by phone number. Note the new system is not any faster than mine (although it does not need to be).

Now, I can update my nav DVD and get the five million points of interest. But I will not get the new colors and other features because they are part of the "new" system only.

Currently only a few Lexus models have the "new" system. That includes the ES 330, LS 430 and LX 470. I believe all other models still have the "old" system. I think the new Toyota Solara also has the "new" system, while the Sienna uses the old one. Go figure.

The best way to distinguish the new vs. old system in the ES (and the Toyotas) is by the screen. My old version has three "buttons" vertically along the right side of the screen...they are part of the display and you touch the screen to push one of these buttons. The new system on the ES uses the full screen for the map as the "buttons" were moved next to the screen and are now real buttons. Note cars like the LS 430 have a different screen (it never had the "buttons" on the screen).
    Have you seen the pictures of the '06 M45's NAV system? It looks like Infiniti has totally revamped their NAV software, it looked very advanced, probably at least 256 colors.
    Yeah, everythings the same, except the layout isbetter on the Lexus' nav
  • Now that everyone has looked at the dissapointing 2006 GS, look at the Infiniti M45- which could possibly become the jewel of Infiniti's up-and-coming lineup. 2 years in the US, and Infiniti is going for the home run. Can or will the M45 overtake the GS? Maybe even the German competitors?

Btw, I remember everyone complaining when Ford dropped the more powerful standard engine from the new F150. That hasn't really affected buyers, last I checked it was a smash hit.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Can you elaborate a little on why the new GS is disappointing? Perhaps you've already driven one? (I think not.)

~alpha
  • jmnycjmnyc Posts: 6
    Could it possibly be that the GS we've seen to date is a wolf in sheep's clothing?

Lexus has been very tight lipped about many specifics, but has been heavy handed with promotional jargon and predictions of future grandeur, and has presented us with this model as a litmus test of public reaction.

Make no mistake, in this day and age, one year is a LOT of time to fine tune an automobile, and my guess is that Lexus knows exactly what it's doing. Look for Lexus to show the final car at Tokyo, (or detroit) and don't be surprised if they've re-shaped it, and the details of it's architecture, handling, and technology emerge to be much more substantial than what we've been hearing in the past.

At first I thought Infiniti G35 when I looked at the profile, but have changed my mind. I bet it will be a stunner in real life.

Tsk tsk, REALLY, when was the last time you saw Lexus do anything half assed. The future is bright.
    right with you jmnyc. Anything could happen in a year. And personally, I like the '06 GS just fine.
    I was watching the Edmunds' GS '06 video again, and I noticed the front seat headrests. They look suprisingly similar to the Volvo headrests. It looks like you cant adjust their height either. Maybe this is another safety feature Lexus has decided to use?
    Possibly. Articularting anti-whiplash headrests is something Lexus has been slow to adopt.
    How do these types of headrests actually stop whiplash? I understand the BMW's active headrests, but these ones just seem like normal headrests. Are they just so that the roof wont crush into the cabin?
    Well, when a car is rear ended, the force pushes your body and head forward, and then the seatbelt tries to yank it back to the seat, which can cause whiplash. Volvo's headrests flip foward when this happens so that your head doesnt snap back to the seat.
    ahhh....I never knew they flip forward lol.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I really wouldn't hold my breath for a change to the new GS, especially in the area of styling. The final car has been shown. The only changes before next spring will likely be the V8 engine in the GS430 model. The styling is done. Doesn't make sense for them to show a claiming it is the next GS only to change it again before launch. Unless they read these boards and got a ton of feedback from current Lexus owners saying they didn't like the car.

Lexus doesn't half-[non-permissible content removed] things true, but the GS has never been that strong of a competitor, no company is perfect and hits the target with every vehicle.

M
    Personally, I'm only expecting very minor engine tweaks, nothing different with the styling. For all we know, it might just make matters worse if the design is changed.
    I wouldnt count them out just yet. Wait until someone has actually DRIVEN the new GS.
    True, the 0-100k time could actually be in the 6's. If they can perform that well, they wont be needing extra power.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    The current GS430 does 0-60 in 5.8 to 6.1 seconds. And the next GS V8 will have a 6-speed automatic. I would bet it's 0-60 will be under 6.
    The outgoing GS430 can outrun a 540iA. Speed was never its problem.
    Dont they have the 545i now? Maybe the 6 speed will lower GS430 times to mid 5, and GS300 to high sixes (6.8?)
    Yeah the V8 in the new 5 is the 545i. The outgoing GS430 is capable of 5.7 second 0-60 sprints, so I would expect their new six speed to lower than into the low 5s. The V6 I really dont know, this supposed 3.0L engine is supposedly brand new, so theres really no point of reference for its performance.