Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-Flexa / Mazda5

Comments

• jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    Some of you may remember the Ford Maverick...released in 1969....Well, you may not remember the colors that were available then...

Hula Blue, Anti-Establish Mint, Fruedien Gilt, Thanks Vermillion, Original Cinnamon....quite agressive names for a Big Three company....
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Well, that ain't teal -- that's aqua. The teal 1992 Protege I had was quite the smart-looking car.

Meade
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, it's not as nice. You also lose the honeycomb insert in the grille.

Meade - thanks for adding life to this thread. :D

But you're right gray/white/black aren't colors at all, so you can have any color you like as long as it's blue. ;)

-juice
    I'm only happy to comply.

It's been a drab week here in Richmond -- cold (only around 60 for highs) and rainy. Today it's 80 and sunny out there, and I'm cooped up in this office looking out my office-wide window at the gorgeous weather.

And I know that my 2-month-old Velocity Red 5-speed 3 wagon is just sitting over there in the parking deck, waiting for me to start him up, roll down all four windows and Zoom.

C'mon quittin' time!!!

Meade
  • perfectofcperfectofc Posts: 155
    Nice. If I didn't need room for 6 on occasion, I'd buy a 3 right now. They are outstanding little cars. :)

I'm pushing hard to get the Red 5 when they come out, depending on the shade of red.
    It's "Cardinal Red"!!!

(I guess that's Velocity Red with the bird poop already on it.)

:)

Meade
    Yeah, who knows what "Cardinal Red" looks like in the flesh. As long as it's a bright, vibrant red ... :P
  • smariasmaria Posts: 279
    Funny...Edmunds' color sample for the Mazda5 "Phantom Blue" looks almost Teal. They must agree with us that there need to be some more interesting colors ;)

Here's Edmunds' page of Mazda5 color samples:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/mazda/mazda5/100533545/colors.html?tid=edmunds.n.review.le- ftsidenav..10.Mazda*
    Phantom Blue :

Cardinal Red :

Strato Blue :

I had to spend three hours at a toll plaza (I work for a transportation authority) this morning, and I watched nine Proteges and three Mazda3s go by while I was there. I took the opportunity to perform a little unscientific survey, and these are the results (I swear they are!):

6 third-generation (1999-2003) Proteges: 5 silver, 1 black
    2 second-generation (1995-1999) Proteges: One silver, one beige
    1 first-generation (1990-1994) Protege: White
    3 Mazda3 (2004-2005) sedans: 2 silver, 1 beige

Sigggghhhhhh ... :sick:

I guess people just don't get excited over car colors anymore. How drab and boring most people are!

BTW, I was quite intrigued to see not even one Mazda3 wagon on this major thoroughfare between 4:30 and 7 a.m. This boosted my ego, knowing I have a car (and a red one too) that people don't see very often! And I know it's true -- a guy walked up to my car after a meeting Friday night and asked me if it had a rotary engine, and my neighbor across the street mistook my new car for an RX-8!

Meade
    My second gen Protege is red. :) To be honest, no we're not the norm - I showed my wife the mockup I did of the yellow MZ5 and she laughed, saying it was ugly.
    Funny -- My wife WANTED a yellow P5 (she's got a white one) -- but the yellows only came in 5-speeds, and she wanted an automatic!

Meade
  • lendricklendrick Posts: 10
    I just wanted to provide an update of my upcoming test drive. The dealership was not able to get the 5 from the distrct manager until next Friday. So tune in next Friday afternoon for my first hand take on how the 5 performs. I sure was looking forward to driving it today though!
  • bwatersbwaters Posts: 52
    After looking at the exterior color options, I'm going to lobby for the Strato Blue. Since this is going to be my wife's car though, I bet she will choose the Cardinal Red. I know she doesn't like black, white and metalic colors so she will be choosing from these and Phantom Blue. We will have to see one in person before we pick though.
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    It kinda reminds me of my old VW microbus.
  • npaladin2000npaladin2000 Posts: 593
    It's pretty well known that the most popular color for cars is grey/silver. Reason being they don't show dirt as much, and scratches are harder to see. So people can be lazy and all look like they wash their cars once a decade after being hit by shopping carts. :) That''s how it is in the US after all...people are willing to be flashy and unique, so long as they're doing it the same way everyone else is doing it. Haha! :)

The fact is, only gutsy brave people like us buy the "unique" colors like Lava Orange, and Yellow. Red is actually not that popular a color either among the masses...sticks out too much. Personally, I love it though.

Incidentally, that "Cardinal Red" looks a little closer to maroon...which would probably be a better "minivan" color than Velocity Red.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Over the years, Miatas have come in some cool colors - British Racing Green, Sunburst Yellow, Evolution Orange, for instance.

That last one was sort of a copper color, pretty unique.

-juice
  • bwatersbwaters Posts: 52
    I was mildly surprised to find that my wife picked the Phantom Blue from the web site. I'm happy with any color so long as it isn't black or white. She chose the Sport with manual transmission (the only way to go), all weather mats and cargo net at my insistence for a grand total of: $18,095. Now if I can just talk her into the moonroof and wind deflector.

My son said to get the wheel locks. Do we really need the wheel locks? In the 10 years we have lived in the neighborhood I have never seen a car up on cinder blocks (other than for legitimate purposes). Do these wheel locks actually deter theft? Will our rims dissapear when we are at the beach if we don't get the wheel locks? Why aren't they standard anyway? For some reason I think of wheel locks are meant for people who buy the club for their steering wheel. I'd rather have someone steal my car than have to put a club on the steering wheel every time I park it. Now, we don't leave the keys in the car but when I was a child on the farm everyone left their keys in the ignition in case you blocked someone in and needed to move the car or had to borrow uncle Sonny's car to run by the Sinclair for a pack of Lucky Strikes...
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Wheel locks are only $30-$40. People mention them quite a bit as if they are an expensive option.Just a little key gizmo you use on one of the five(?) lugnuts per wheel.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    Actually, you could probably pick up a set at a local auto parts store for less than $20. All a wheel lock is is a lug nut with an odd shaped head. The odd shape doesn't fit in a standard lug wrench. The wheel locks set will include a special shaped socket to fit the odd shape on the wheel lock.

Keep in mind that there really aren't THAT many different shapes used by the wheel lock manufacturer's. Some thieves keep an assortment of 'key' sockets which fit a large portion of the wheel locks out there. They may only have to try 1/2 dozen or so sockets to find one that fits your particular wheel lock.

All and all, they are fairly cheap insurance.
This discussion has been closed.