Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-Flexa / Mazda5

Comments

• perfectofcperfectofc Member Posts: 155
    My second gen Protege is red. :) To be honest, no we're not the norm - I showed my wife the mockup I did of the yellow MZ5 and she laughed, saying it was ugly.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Funny -- My wife WANTED a yellow P5 (she's got a white one) -- but the yellows only came in 5-speeds, and she wanted an automatic!

Meade
  • lendricklendrick Member Posts: 10
    I just wanted to provide an update of my upcoming test drive. The dealership was not able to get the 5 from the distrct manager until next Friday. So tune in next Friday afternoon for my first hand take on how the 5 performs. I sure was looking forward to driving it today though!
  • bwatersbwaters Member Posts: 52
    After looking at the exterior color options, I'm going to lobby for the Strato Blue. Since this is going to be my wife's car though, I bet she will choose the Cardinal Red. I know she doesn't like black, white and metalic colors so she will be choosing from these and Phantom Blue. We will have to see one in person before we pick though.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    It kinda reminds me of my old VW microbus.
  • npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    It's pretty well known that the most popular color for cars is grey/silver. Reason being they don't show dirt as much, and scratches are harder to see. So people can be lazy and all look like they wash their cars once a decade after being hit by shopping carts. :) That''s how it is in the US after all...people are willing to be flashy and unique, so long as they're doing it the same way everyone else is doing it. Haha! :)

The fact is, only gutsy brave people like us buy the "unique" colors like Lava Orange, and Yellow. Red is actually not that popular a color either among the masses...sticks out too much. Personally, I love it though.

Incidentally, that "Cardinal Red" looks a little closer to maroon...which would probably be a better "minivan" color than Velocity Red.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Over the years, Miatas have come in some cool colors - British Racing Green, Sunburst Yellow, Evolution Orange, for instance.

That last one was sort of a copper color, pretty unique.

-juice
  • bwatersbwaters Member Posts: 52
    I was mildly surprised to find that my wife picked the Phantom Blue from the web site. I'm happy with any color so long as it isn't black or white. She chose the Sport with manual transmission (the only way to go), all weather mats and cargo net at my insistence for a grand total of: $18,095. Now if I can just talk her into the moonroof and wind deflector.

My son said to get the wheel locks. Do we really need the wheel locks? In the 10 years we have lived in the neighborhood I have never seen a car up on cinder blocks (other than for legitimate purposes). Do these wheel locks actually deter theft? Will our rims dissapear when we are at the beach if we don't get the wheel locks? Why aren't they standard anyway? For some reason I think of wheel locks are meant for people who buy the club for their steering wheel. I'd rather have someone steal my car than have to put a club on the steering wheel every time I park it. Now, we don't leave the keys in the car but when I was a child on the farm everyone left their keys in the ignition in case you blocked someone in and needed to move the car or had to borrow uncle Sonny's car to run by the Sinclair for a pack of Lucky Strikes...
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Wheel locks are only $30-$40. People mention them quite a bit as if they are an expensive option.Just a little key gizmo you use on one of the five(?) lugnuts per wheel.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Actually, you could probably pick up a set at a local auto parts store for less than $20. All a wheel lock is is a lug nut with an odd shaped head. The odd shape doesn't fit in a standard lug wrench. The wheel locks set will include a special shaped socket to fit the odd shape on the wheel lock.

Keep in mind that there really aren't THAT many different shapes used by the wheel lock manufacturer's. Some thieves keep an assortment of 'key' sockets which fit a large portion of the wheel locks out there. They may only have to try 1/2 dozen or so sockets to find one that fits your particular wheel lock.

All and all, they are fairly cheap insurance.
  • lamjplamjp Member Posts: 18
    :blush:
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • bjerrybjerry Member Posts: 59
    I've done various comparisons of models I know of and I still have a question about what is the differences between "Max. Cargo Capacity" and "Maximum Luggage Capacity". Could any one offer some insights into what is being measured?
    Wow, it's the heaviest one!

Then again it's the only one with 3 rows.

-juice
  • drspongklongdrspongklong Member Posts: 48
    I think Max Cargo capacity is when all seats that are foldable are folded and Maximum luggage capacity is when the thrid row is folded for vehicles with three seat rows and no seat is folded when there are only two seat rows. I maybe wrong but that seems logical to me
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I doubt that the Mazda5 has 44.4cubic feet behind the 3rd row!
    my bad...it's behind the 2nd row

I'd really like to know how adults feel in the car. Whenever I see photos/videos, it's always little kids climbing around in the 2nd and 3rd row and even though it seems roomy for an 8 year old, I'd like to know about adults doing the same thing...any experience here?
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    Wish Honda would bring over their newly-redesigned Step Wgn for some competition to the Mazda5. Not as sporty but more practical...sort of like a grown-up Element to seat 6 or 7 (the 8 passenger rating is a tad too optimistic). Give it the Element's rubberized floor, waterproof seats etc. and I'm in.
    http://www.honda.co.jp/STEPWGN/webcatalogue/3d/exterior/index.html

Play around with the 3d-viewer...select a decent colour + wheels...from certain angles it looks quite good, though the front is a bit scary...bring it over, Honda..
    show some guts!
    I just don't like the looks of it, it looks awkward. That's what I love about the 5, it looks graceful. :) I reckon the next entry into the market will be GM/Saturn, bringing over the Vauxhall Zafira.

http://vauxhall.co.uk/showroom/search/brand.jhtml?brand=New+Zafira&vehicleType=Car
    That Honda is definitely function over form. I kinda like it, though.

The 5 looks better, sportier, but it's also smaller.

Zafira looks decent too, it's a little bit too long and narrow, though.

-juice
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Scion xB after a session on the rack!
    the Step Wgn is fairly close to the Mazda5...the Step is about an inch longer, with a 4" longer wheelbase, it's 5" taller but about 2" narrower. It has a low centre of gravity, so handling should be pretty good (for a van). Despite the slightly narrower body, inside dimensions should be fairly close, given the slab sides. Still, I think 6 would be comfortable, 7 (2+3+2) in a pinch(pun intended) and 8 is wishful thinking.
    Sounds like it has an upgraded version of the CR-V's engine (at least 170 hp, maybe more). Rearmost seats flip up to the side, a la Element. Don't know about the wood-look floor.......like I said, give it a rubberized floor like the Element.
    To me, it's the modern version of the old VW Microbus (not exactly a looker either) but I'd definitely be interested if Honda would bring it over.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    I like stuff in this class. The Honda is not attractive (looks like a Tribeca nose). I like the Vaxhaul though. Bring it over as a Saturn. Much nicer than a Relay.

The 5 I really want to see inpeson. But, I know that I won't accept a high revving family car. If this thing buzzes along like my tC, or even worse the Miata, it's a non starter, even though the 5 speed brings a tear to my eye.

Just make 5th a real cruising gear and it should be OK. Or add a 6 speed, or some HP.

Now, if they come out with a turbo speed version, they will have a winner!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I just returned from my 5 drive. Overall, Mazda misses with this vehicle. Let's get started. The exterior is sharp and makes you want to get behind the wheel. It's agressive stance looks nice. The low ground clearance makes for a beautiful look but it seemed too low to want to drive anywhere that may get a couple of inches of snow. All things considered the exterioir will definitely make the 5 stand out on a crowded highway. The interior is laid out quite well with everything easily within reach. It was my first time in the car and I could locate all dashboard functions with little trouble. Turn the key and the engine hums as smooth as you would hope. I was in a automatic with the manual shift option. I left the car in auto the entire test drive. The engine is not hearty enough to power this vehicle. There were three of us in the car and all three came to that conclusion as we pulled off the lot. The engine is silky smooth but needed to be bigger to really put this car on the map. There was little to no road noise permiating the cabin and the steering and handling were drum tight. The front seat was very comfortable and I had great visibility. The second row was tighter than I expected. I certainly have more room in the backseat of my 03 Altima than the 5. The third row is absolutely for the 5'5 and under crowd. I could see an adult riding in the third row for very short trips but you wouldn't want to sit back there for twenty miles. However, acces to the third row was relativley easy. The storage area with the third row up is very small. Maybe a couple of grocery sacks could fit. With the third row down things open up quite a bit. However, a lot of vertical space is lost as the seats fold flat but not in to the floor. There is no way to open the liftgate from inside the car or the key fob but it glides with little effort using the handle on the door.
    The 5 may find some takers but I don't think I will be one of them. The ride was nice and the exterior is outstanding but the functionality of the engine and the cramped quarters of the seating probably takes the 5 off my list. My situation is the same as most of yours in that I have 2 adults and and 2 kids (9 and 1) with the occassional 5th or 6th passenger. The car is just no bigger than a nice mid size sedan. Also you can not leave the second row folded and use the third row with lots of leg room. The seating sings for a home run and bloops a single over the shortstops head.
    I have some interesting pictures for you that will put all this in perspective. I will try to get them up tonight or tomorrow.
    In short, the car has the body and soul of a Mazda but the heart of a Yugo.
  • jazvanjazvan Member Posts: 106
    I think you are the first MZ5 reviewer in the Western Hemisphere.
    Well done..

-Jaz
  • smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    I'm disappointed to read such a negative review, and I can't wait to see your photos. A few comments:

(1) I'm surprised (and disappointed) that you say the 3rd row is for the 5'5" and under crowd. Comparing the specs of the Mazda 5's 3rd row to the 3rd row of the Toyota Highlander, the Mazda 5 supposedly has 5" more headroom than the Toyota, so I thought that sounded promising...oh well.

(2) Why can't the 2nd row be left folded? It doesn't lock down into position?
    I am sorry that came across as such a negative review. The car was fine but the overall package just falls short when it needed to surpass expectations.
    The third row is small without question. The headroom is absolutely fine but the legroom is super tight. I am six feet tall and could not really fit in the back seat with a 5'10 person sitting in the second row in front of me. There was hardly any room for my size 11 feet. I had to turn sidways to make it work.
    The second row can be folded but it is not floor level so the passenger in the third row has the second row seats about half way up his shins. You gain no room for your feet and would really muck about the back of the second row seats with your shoes.
    After the 5 I went to see the MPV for comparison. With all the incentives you can get the MPV with options for the same price (within $1500) as the five. The difference in space and seating comfort is remarkable. The seats in the MPV were much softer than the 5. Sure, it isn't fair to compare the 5 and the MPV. They are two different vehicle segments. Point being you get a heck of a lot more vehicle for essentially the same money.
    I like the 5 and didn't mean for the review to sound too sour. I really wanted this to be the right car for me but the weak engine and tight seating take it off the list. It would work for two people with the occasional third or fourth passenger. It honestly feels like I have more room for four in my '03 Altima than in the 5.
  • yustasyustas Member Posts: 31
    Thank you for review! But just couple points in you initial post, that really had to be addressed. Firstly, any comparasing to Yogo, in any form, should NOT be made for Mazda5 or any vehicle for that matter. Are you kidding!!! :confuse: Secondly, while I totally agree about legroom in the third row (i.e. small), the second row seats can be moved, just like front row seats. Did you try that? Also, I too feel, that second row seats don't offer much legroom either. The thing is, this is not a minivan, never ment to be. One cannot ask for every feature possible in a single vehicle. Well, you can ASK, but you will never GET them. So, you have to look at Mazda5 as a compromise of sorts. Compromise on space, on power. And decide, if this compromise is worth making. If not, there are other cars to choose from. :)
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Well, I'm not surprised that the 4-cylinder engine, teamed with the auto trans, seems weak. I had a similar experience when I test drove a then-new 2001 Honda CR-V automatic. It had less power than the 5, and was positively anemic. After returning from the test drive, I forgot about CR-V's for 2 full years. Then, by pure chance, I rented a Honda CR-V automatic while on a trip to Northern California - I had lots of stuff to carry on that trip. Still underpowered, of course, but a great, smooth-riding vehicle. I wondered what a 5-speed manual might be like. When I got back home, I found a '99 EX RT4WD with a 5-speed manual for sale, just a few miles from my home. When I drove it, I was amazed at the difference in power delivery. It was much faster off the line, would do under 9 seconds 0-60, and in top gear would get from 65 to 90 without a downshift quicker than the auto would with a downshift! I bought it, and drove it for two and a half years. I'd have bought a new one, but for it being a bit cramped inside. Now driving a 4-cylinder Highlander, which is smooth and boring to drive. I'm on the "please call when they're in" list at the local Mazda dealership - when the 5-speed manual model hits.

It is great to hear that it's got good seats, and is a quiet cruiser. No surprise that it's got great reflexes. Man, I can hardly wait!
    After that last review, I guess we should call it a "child-space" wagon for rows 2 & 3. And I think the reviewer mentioned that with a 5'10" in row 2 it was really tight in row 3. But it sound good if you mostly just have kids in the back then it's probably okay. For me it wouldn't work either because when I have the occasional 6 there are usually 4 adults in the mix. I think the specs are misleading, because when they look at leg room in row 3 they probably have row 2 moved all the way up. And with leg room in row 2 measurements they probably have row 2 all the way back. So it's easy to make the numbers look good.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Believe it or not, I actually saw a Yugo on the highway a couple of weeks ago!
    To be fair...if $20K is your max limit on the purchase price and you're looking for the maximum space in a car, then the Mazda5 is outstanding in that. No matter how tight it may be compared to a minivan or mid-sized SUV, we really should only be comparing to other $20K vehicles and in that it's really great. Now if you can get the Mazda MPV for only $1500 more than the Mazda5 that's great, but I think that the MPV will increase in both size and price to compete with other minivans, so in the future that may not be an option. Plus if you can get a MPV with all of the same options as the Mazda5 for only $1500 more I'd be surprised.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Actually you can get a nicely-equipped MPV LX for well under $20k. Another nice option available under $20k is the Mazda6i 5-door--as long as you don't need the 6th seat. With well-equipped minvans (e.g. MPV and Caravan SXT) available well under $20k, the Mazda5 would need to be quite a package to hold my interest, in order to make up for the lack of passenger and cargo space.
    Ugh. Your review pretty much confirms all my fears about the 5. Underpowered. Not enough room in the 3rd row. :(

I'm still going to drive it, but I am far more skeptical than I was previously.
    MPV for under $20K?? or a Caravan for under $20K??? I doubt it.
    I see those kind of prices advertised in my area all the time. Some are from "no haggle" dealers, so there's no doubt you can get the vehicle at that price--it's not one of those "one only, only during a total eclipse of the sun" deals.

You can see this for yourself by looking at the price info here at Edmunds.com. Invoice on the MPV LX Plus with side bags and traction control is $23,407. These are not in great demand in my area, so I have seen discounts below invoice. Add to that the $4000 current cash back from Mazda, and you are under $20k. On the Caravan SXT with ABS and side bags, invoice is $22,131 but I see every day dealer discounts below invoice, and the rebate is $2500. Again, under $20k for nicely-equipped seven-passenger vans. (But I'd take the MPV over the Caravan.)
    First, one key feature that the 5 offers that no mini does: the stick shift. That opens up a whole new market niche.

There is also the driving dynamics. Based on how the 3 drives, I espect that the 5's hadnling and driving dynamics puts the Caravan to shame. The stripper Caravan also won't have a moonroof, something else that many people like.

The rear seat on something this small (and the smaller utes like a Highlander) should be considered to be emergency/kid use only.

Not everyone is looking for the most square footage of road coverage for their $. Something the size of the 5 should appeal to young couples with 0-2 little kids, a second car for dad, even empty nesters that might get the grand kids occasionally.

Heck, I drive a Scion tC and have 2 kids. If I can get away with that, a 5 should feel cavernous!

What it does offer is flexibility, room for stuff (bikes/antiques/whatever), a tidy size, room for 6 in a pinch, good driving dynamics, and a price in the upper teens (=/-).

It is unfortuneate that all the goodness added weight. The 2.3 is a screamer in the 3, even with an AT. In the 5, probably fine with the manual, but a little taxed with the AT. But, that's just in light of the HP war going on now. I bet that for all practical purposes, it will be adequate.

I can't wait to drive one of these to see for myself.

I forgot the most logical buyer: aging hippies hanging onto their VW vans from the '60s. COmpared to one of them, it will seem like a viper.

I agree with your comments. However, the previous review denigraded the Mazda5 in terms of rear seating room and cargo space with the seats up. If that is what you are looking for, a minivan is a better buy. But if you want good handling and a stick shift and occasional room for up to six people (at least two of them kids) at a relatively low price, the Mazda5 is the only game in town.
    Yup, any of the smaller vehicles with 3 rows of seats isn't going to be really suited to using them all, and expecting to carry stuff. If you plan to take week long vacations with 6 people, get a full sized minivan.

For us, the usually time for using all 3 rows might be taking the parents to dinner and shunting the kids to the rear, or having 2 extra kids to cart home from soccer practice.

We could probably get away with a 5 for our travelling also, but the Ody give more flexibility (and comfort on the road), plus my wife way over packs!

• drspongklongdrspongklong Member Posts: 48
    I have a Toyota Matrix and so far I've enjoyed it. It's been a great car but I feel like it's getting smaller everyday. I've been planning to buy a bigger one but not too big as the existing minivans on the market. I've researched for compact SUVs like the CRV or the Tribute but their cargo space is not a big upgrade from my Matrix's. Then I came accross this Masda5. It's just perfect. I'll probably be not using the 3rd row seat very much and be folded most of the time. The cargo space if 3rd row seat folded will double my Matrix's cargo space. With the Mazda price the same as compact SUVs, I'll go with the 5.
    OK, Obviously my statement of the 5 having the guts of a Yugo was just a joke to get my point across that the car needs a bigger engine. As I said before, all in all it is a fine car with a small engine. But I think once you get in it you will find that the second row of seats supplies minimal leg and foot room and the third row is miniscule. The second row passengers don't even have anywhere to put their feet. There is no space under the front seats to slide your feet in. You'll see what I mean in the pictures. This seems like a car for a highschool or college student, not a car for a couple with a child or two.
    ">I have some photos that will help show the size of the vehicle. One problem, I do not know how to get the images on this forum. Can someone let me know how to do that? I am not familiar with html tags. Thanks and as soon as I get some directions you will have the pictures.
    As far as the MPV goes, I received official pricing and can get one for $19,100. No leather or power remote sliding doors. Not that I would buy an MPV but the price certainly buys a lot more space than the 5.
    Here's what the Town Hall FAQs say about inserting pics:

You may post a link to a photo or insert the photo using the standard html tag for an image: (put less-than sign here)IMG SRC="http://url-location/photo.jpg"(put greater-than sign here)

So if you have the photos on a web site someplace, just use the URL to the web page. If they are files, use the IMG SRC command and replace http://url-location/photo.jpg with the location of the photo on your hard drive, e.g. C:\My Pictures\mazda5photo.jpg.
    It's surprising that the 5 isn't bigger inside as compared to an MPV, since when I go to the Mazda.com website, they show a 3, in front of a 5, in front of an MPV, and side-by-side the MPV isn't really that much bigger (3"wider, 8" longer, 4" taller) but I guess that little bit makes a big difference. Bad thing is that the '07MPV becomes pretty big.
  • twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    I'd like the 5 better with only two rows of seats, the second one a bench. I don't know why everyone is cramming three rows into their vehicles. Two rows would leave a large cargo area in back and more space for all passengers.

Those who want to carry a football team can get a Suburban. ;)

I doubt the 5 is underpowered. It's just that the US is accustomed to overpowered. But I do think there should be an optional engine. A turbo, a V6, a diesel or a hybrid. A car should offer an economy model and a performance model. As it is, the 5 is neither.
    There's all kinds of 5-seat, roomy vehicles out there, including wagons and SUVs. By adding the third row Mazda creates a unique vehicle for its class. Perhaps the target market is smaller, but they have it all to themselves for now.

As for a performance variant... there's always Mazdaspeed and their bag of tricks.
  • pappy55pappy55 Member Posts: 41
    If the 5 had an option for a split 3-person bench in the center row (ala Freestyle) I'd get one in a heartbeat. I think that would open up a whole new market (keep the 3rd row seats for "temporary use" though).
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Mazda's primary target customer is...

young active couples with a small family or plans for a family.....They feel this customer isnt prepared for a full size minivan for image or financial reasons.
    Then why are they making the next MPV larger?
This discussion has been closed.