Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion tC

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,490
    I would prefer to have a wiper, but it hasn't been too bad yet. The defroster does work well, but I haven't been in snow yet.

The tC has more of a coupe/sedan window angle anyway, but I think all cars should have a rear wiper, not just hatchs/wagons!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• onitswayonitsway Member Posts: 3
    Well, I've been driving my tC for about 7 weeks now and love it, indigo, side air bags, stick, and have finally come upon one very, very unique and strange quirk about this model. Everyone knows about the one-touch power windows(up and down). They have the new safety feature of not closing if they is something impeding the progress of the window as it goes up. This is a very nice feature, unless you are going 80+ mph. YOU CANNOT CLOSE YOUR WINDOWS COMPLETELY ABOVE 80 mph, its impossible, tried it numerous times at different speeds, 80 is the magic #. The windows will go nearly 98% of the way up, and then go right back down. My guess is it has something to do with the wind pressure on the windows at that speed. Anyway, thought it would be a neat conversation piece, those of you that own one, hop on the interstate and try to prove me wrong...I bet you won't. Enjoy your tC, I do.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    ones like that one. That's a good sign! I still have my far-reaching eyes on a 5-speed Black Cherry Pearl tC. If Scion makes the stereo controls larger while I'm getting ready to pull the trigger that would be all right, eh? Great looking coupe, I'm gonna call it a sports coupe, too.

The tC does what the original Celica introduced in America did to my eyes. It invites a closer look, and when you look, you like what you see. 0-60 in 7.4 seconds? Is that really true, dudes? Anybody checked that out in their tC?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• dat2dat2 Member Posts: 251
    Yes mid 7s in the 0-60 race seems about right. It is a quick car, mainly because of the short gearing and healthy output from 2.4. I went from a '96 Nissan 240sx and the tC feels slightly quicker overall. Sadly the handling still can't match the rear-drive fancy of the 240!! I didn't think I would miss it that much. Otherwise the tC is an amazing car, an absolute bargain all things considered. The TRD exhaust is nice and the cold air intake will be nice when it comes out.
    how much was the TRD exhaust? Did it come as a factory installed option or did you take it somewhere and have it installed?

I agree, this tC has me watching it close because of it's build quality, great looks and driving excitement quotient. Add to that great initial price-pointing along with the fact that I don't really need any options added to the already impressive standard features list.

I also like this xA RS 1.0 car they're currently selling. In Absolutely Red it looks great with the trim sport profile tires and nice wheels. I have learned that when they sell all 1,550 of those red ones that's it and next year they will release the xA RS 2.0 in Blue color. Some early complaints with the xA are lack of power(it has the 105 horse 4 cyl)and kind of a bumpy ride because of the Sport tires and stiff suspension. Usually those complaints are buffered with more postive comments than total negative ones and the car retails for only $15,500 with the extra goodies already on it from the factory. The tC and xA 2.0 have my full attention. Almost. The 2005 Kia Sportage will be fighting against them for becoming my next baby.

• muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Cobalt SS -

Factory tuned handling (I'm guessing it will be better, I haven't driven one yet)

Faster

more sales = more aftermarket support

Better looking (personal preference)

tC Supercharged -

Resale

TRD support (which has the negative of being extremely expensive)

I think the SS will be the higher performance vehicle, and the car I would rather own. (having not driven either)
  • tlcmantlcman Member Posts: 220
    aftermarket tuners have really gon after the tC there are alot of people out there developing turbo systems (already avalible) and most anything else for the tC.

This might be true for the cobalt to but in my opinion the styling has an old honda Civic look to it and im not sure about the options but loading the chevy with options to equal the tC in price and feel is going to be pretty tough.
    sephia1...TRD exhaust was purchased after the initial car purchase...at mcgeorge toyota in virginia (www.mcgeorgetoyota.com), because they were selling the part for almost half the dealer i purchased it from (oxmoor toyota in louisville), for like $355, plus mcgeorge installed it for only $30, it would have cost $200 to install at oxmoor (they are a big time rip off)...
    reports the last coupla days in your Scion tC? How are yours holding up?

I live in Louisville and we have had it the last few days. Overall, the tC is very good in the snow/ice. It is stable and has decent grip and doesn't get bogged down real easily. It is impressive really considering the clearance and tires/wheels!
    I know of a person in Pocatello, Idaho who owns a Camry and a tC. He says the tC does an admirable job in the snow, much better than the Camry does. He's going to park the Camry for a while.

• drakutismaxdrakutismax Member Posts: 21
    Right now I have a 2001 Maxima which I am not trading in. Can anybody give me their buying experience with the tC? I'll have two payments to deal with, but I want to have some info before I go into this. I think this would make a great second car for gas purposes. Did you get a good price? I don't want any options as of yet because it comes with so much. Just wheel locks.

Thanks,
    "a great second car for gas purposes"

A tC is not going to impress you with gas milage, but if you mean like the power you get from it you will get a grin on your face. 20Mpg Rough average, but will dip into the teens
  • gtwgtw Member Posts: 46
    My wife has the 04 Maxima and the daughter has the 05 tC. Both are great cars. tC is a nice little play toy. I enjoy driving it from time to time. Gas mileage is not that good. 23 in the city is good if you are getting that.
  • scoopnyscoopny Member Posts: 7
    I just put a deposit down on a maroon tc with the side air bags, manual transmission. I did really like the Saturn-like pricing, I've never been a good negotiator. I also liked having the option of adding on things later on when I have more cash and not adding it to the purchase price right away. The aftermarket thing I think is a good idea for Toyota.

Like someone said above it definitely does remind me of the old Celicas. My mom had a 1980 celica and it had a similar rounded rear and back window. I think that car was longer though, I remember being able to get actually human beings in the back. I drove that car when I was in high school 10 years later. I'm replacing my '00 celica which became flooded and died an premature death.

I drove one yesterday, it was the mechanic's car, no one had any tC's on their lots, they don't sit for very long. The only thing I didn't like was the quality of the materials on the dashboard, it looked a little cheap and that little radio cover is cute, but I didn't think too necessary. But for the price I think it's a good deal. Hopefully I won't regret the mediorce gas mileage.
  • drakutismaxdrakutismax Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the feedback. Right now I'm putting premium in the Maxima and I drive a little over 50 miles to work. ONE WAY. So I'm trying to investigate different cost saving measures, including a new job.:) It would seem the tC should get the same or better mileage. I would like to only have to get gas twice a week instead of three times a week. By the way, I try not to get below half a tank.

But I still like that tC.
    if you run the tank closer to empty you will get batter gas milage due to your car being lighter.

and in the winter run with half to a full tanke for added traction

just a thought.
  • ndtriathletendtriathlete Member Posts: 2
    I am purchasing a Scion TC, which comes with 17" alloy wheels. I am considering upgrading to 18" wheels with low-profile tires. What are the advanteges and disadvantages of doing so with respect to ride quality, durability and handling (dry, wet, snowy conditions)?

Thanks so much!
    After the February Motor Trend, looks like the Cobalt SS is definitely the more sporting of the two cars - and possibly the most sporting FWD car you can buy.

I think the tC is a good buy if it is exactly what you want.
  • pcrpcr Member Posts: 14
    After owning a Chevy truck and a Cavalier, Chevrolet is going to have to bring quality up a whole lot higher than just "greatly improved" before I'd buy from them again. They've got lots to make up for.

I remember when a college buddy bought a Renault Alliance, partly because Motor Trend gave it "Car of the Year." Bwa ha ha ha ha.

For most of the time that he owned it, the Alliance featured "No Wheel Drive." The transmission's electronic "brain" would refuse to provide power to any of the wheels, thereby ensuring 100% traction, even at the vehicle's top speed (zero).

Fair enough - but if I wanted a sporting car, I still wouldn't choose the tC. It's fine otherwise.
  • markg4markg4 Member Posts: 44
    instead of the ss you should compare the non supercharged chevy to the tc. when the trd supercharger comes out, the tc will be in the same class as the ss (price and power wise) and it will be a more accurate comparison. i would still rather have the non SC tc myself as the resale and reliability of toyota is far superior to anything chevy can offer. if i wanted a cheaply built rocket i'd buy an srt-4 and make uncounted visits to the repair shop. many of the smaller america made cars i've driven in are falling to pieces after 40-50K miles. my 2000 si has 63k and drives like the day i bought it with 7 miles on the od.
  • tonylexustonylexus Member Posts: 94
    You said the magic words - "a good buy". SS vs tC is an apple compared to an orange. Compare the super-charged tC and you might have a fair comparison to disect.

If you insist on an SS vs. stock tC comparison then I would say that at the $6-7k more that the Chevy will cost, you better be getting a lot more car. (Which I doubt)

The same could be said for most of the other cars in the MT Comparo. A comparably equipped Mazda 3 will cost you about $2,500 more and the Mini over $3k more (+ premium gas). (I shopped them all).

I pointed out to MT that while they were salivating at the $1,200 in OPTIONS offered on the Mazda (Satellite radio and tire-pressure monitor)they overlooked the fact that both of these are STANDARD on the tC.

For a balance between sport and comfort, an indisputable reliability heritage, fresh look, and unbeatable standard equipment, there simply is nothing out there to compare to the VALUE of a tC at $17,000 (auto).
    I must have a "freak". I commute 25 miles one way with most of that on a Hwy where I can time the lights at @50 MPH and make only 4-5 stops. I have 4600 miles on the car and have yet to get less than 28.5 MPG. (This is with a bit of normal city driving mixed in and very little, if any expressway, driving).

I've seen several complaints about the mileage on the tC and have to believe them, but cannot relate to them based on my experience.

I'm getting better than I expected, hope it doesn't change.
    markg4 -

A few pages back, I think we were comparing the Cobalt SS and the Supercharged tC, and I was sort of continuing that.

I'd still take the Cobalt LS or LT over the tC, I like the engine much better, I'm sure the handling is superior, and I prefer the looks.

tonylexus -

I meant to compare it to the supercharged tC - my mistake.

For a balance between sport and comfort, an indisputable reliability heritage, fresh look, and unbeatable standard equipment, there simply is nothing out there to compare to the VALUE of a tC at $17,000 (auto).

I don't think the tC has any sport in it, but it is comfortable and has a lot of storage space. Scion doesn't have a particularly good "reliability heritage," even if Toyota does. (for whatever reason) And I think the styling is closer to highly derivative than fresh - subjectively speaking.

For $17k, I'd rather drive an Si (bought my 02 for $16k, if that sort of thing was still available), Cobalt, Mazda3 or Mini Cooper (off the top of my head).

It's still a good value, and a good car. I'm nitpicking. It's just not sporty - at least not any more sporty than a Corolla S or something, and that's my only knock on it.
    Don't get me wrong, in terms of sportiness, the tC is no Miata (our other car). But it's no Corolla either.

Every car in this price range is a compromise. None of the cars you mention handles like the Miata (the Mini comes closest, but it's WWD). The Miata is a compromise too, it has a heavy air conditioner and a passenger seat.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    The Cobalt is still on a rear axle. Just like the Cav.
    pcr - It's not about compromise or not. the Cobalt is no sports car, even if it is a great performer. If sportiness is a 0-10 scale, the tC is a 2. The Cobalt is a 6 - MAYBE a 7. (because nothing with FWD can finish higher)

The Cobalt slalomed faster for motor trend than any car you named, Miata included. I don't care what the rear suspension of the Cobalt is, it is a killer handler.

The real question is, how come the tC can't do better with it's inherently superior suspension setup?

I'm not going to call the Cobalt the top FWD performance car until I drive one myself, but on paper it is the class leader.
    I was speaking of the compromises I had to make in choosing the tC, mostly vis-a-vis the Mazda 3 and the Mini.

I can't comment on the Cobalt's performance, because I never did seriously look into it. With Chevrolet's quality record, I couldn't justify buying one (especially in the first year), even if it turned out to be the king of Super Stock.
  • markg4markg4 Member Posts: 44
    how can you compare the ss to the supercharged tc when the supercharger isn't even available for the tc yet? the 0-60 & 1/4 times for the SC tc will be in line with the ss imo. i would say that neither the ss or the tc are sports cars but they are both sporty coupe's. i guess the issue is if the little better handling of the ss (most people-myself included-will never push either car to it's limits btw) is worth the questionable reliability and massive depreciation. the srt-4 kills both cars in performance anyway but i would never buy one.
    I was thinking about that last night, that I am basically magazine racing a car I've never driven against a car that doesn't exist. Good argument, huh?

Either way, I guess there are comments for a tC vs. Cobalt SS forum sometime in the future...
    "sporty" (as opposed to sports) cars are mostly image anyway IMO. The tC certainly qualifies as a sporty car, based on the styling/wheels and tires/general handling abilities. Most people (even the ones that buy cars like these) don't autocross, or come close to exploring their cars limits on the road.

Steering feel and tire grip are what most people really feel, and the tC is fine here.

Another big advantage of the tC is that it is about the only smallish sporty coupe/hatch that has a really usable back seat, especially in legroom. Makes a big differerence for people with kids to tote around (like me).

I also find the tC plenty quick for my normal use, and pretty entertaining on the rare occasions I can actually wind it out.

Funny how some people consider a feature-laden, well rounded car to be a good thing, and some folks slam it for being too balanced.

I agree on all counts, stickguy. That's why there are so (too) many vehicle options available. There is something out there to fit everyone's desires (if you can afford it).

If you want a "sports" car, nothing mentioned in these tC 'comparo's' should be on your list in the first place. They are sporty, what you see is what you get - period.

The tC, like all the others in this class, are indeed compromises when it comes to 'sport'.

I contend, again, all things considered, (price, reliability, refinement, performance, standard equipment, and execution)at $17k the tC cannot be beat. The $16k Si mentioned in another thread was less $, but not as well equipped and comes only with a stick shift as do several other "sporty performance" contenders (nice cars, stick is not my preference).

As mentioned a few tiimes earlier, the SRT4 looks great in the magazine performance tests, but many (including myself) would never consider actually buying one due to the reliability and quality issues no matter what the 0-60.

We all have our priorities and preferences, and there are a lot of things to consider in a vehicle. For me, getting most of what I desire and need, engineered and assembled well (trustworthy), at a reasonable cost, = VALUE. The tC fit this bill for me. The other cars I shopped were certainly in the running, but what ever advantages they may have had (and some didn't have any) did not justify the extra cost.

Truth be told, had I wanted to spend more than $20k, I would have probably bought a used Lexus IS 300 over the new Mini, RSX, and Mazda3 I was considering. Can't speak much on the Cobalt, but I believe it is a derivative of the G6 and that did not impress me as much as the others I mentioned. As for car magazines and balance- about the only negative thing I have ever heard them say about any Lexus model is that they are TOO PERFECT - yet they have yet to win one of their comparo's. I thought perfect is what we were striving for - go figure.
    Automobile magazine rated the Ford Focus it's car of the year in 2000, my BF bought one and racked up several thousand in repairs over three years (mostly the brakes, which seemed to go through pads every three months and then the rotor broke). Finally he traded it in for a Toyota Corolla and we learned the value of taking the Auto mags words for things (they seem to have a vested interest in promoting the next big American thing). Like what you said about Lexus, always good reviews, but never a car of the year nod.

Chevy does need a hit, but a supercharged SS would cost me nearly $6,000 more than the tC (only 4 grand more if I picked up the super charger) and in the end the cars would probably be worth the same (the tC maybe even more) after five years. So I'm picking up my tC on Friday.
    I bet the supercharger will be $4000-4500 installed, not $2000.
  • enya18enya18 Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone know when either the "supercharged" tc's and/or the 2006 tc's will be available?

Thanks!
    some people towards the Scion tC are worth a second emotion on my part. Ever since I first noticed this new tC(first saw it 2 months ago or a tad more)I have read every article I could get my hands on and read about it online. The Edmunds threads here have been very interesting to get people's opinions on their tC's roadability. It's true, Scion has designed so many standard features into this car and it has such a good ride feel to it that it's now being criticized for being "too smooth or too gentle" of a road handler. It's looks have been called "non-confrontational" and plain and so on. I gotta tell ya guys, this little hatch coupe is not conventional in its styling, at all. It has a nice straight-on look to it from the front. Very balanced, yet in no way boring looking from the front looking back. The view from the side shows a neat little sporty car with a style that harkens me back not only to the original American Celica of the 70's but also to the Triumph's and MG's that a person used to be able to enjoy on America's roads. The stock wheels look great. The little notch back by the rear window that you see in the side view looks great, too. The Tiburon-like taillights don't mess anything up. They are kind of conventional but they work. This little coupe looks great. Do you guys know what I'm talking about? Anybody else see a classic design here or is it just me drooling onto my keyboard? It remains on my very short list along with the '05 Kia Sportage.

Anybody participating in this thread that has a Black Cherry Pearl one? How's the paint treatin' ya? Still diggin' it?

The black cherry pearl? That's the one I'm picking up on Friday. I'll let you know.
    Great comments on the tC looks. I agree, the car looks great. I take exception to comments like "the BMW headlights, and Volvo grill, etc." You can find simularities like that on most cars if you nitpick enough. One thing I applaud Scion for is the fact that they have 3 models and they do not share any "brand identity" design cloning at all. Unlike the 'new' Pontiac G6 - that cloned front end turned me off immediately. Drive thru a Pontiac dealership looking at the front ends in the lot and I dare you to tell me which is the G6, Vibe, Grand Prix or GTO. They're not the only company doing this, I wish they could show a little more imagination especially when introducing a 'new' model. There is no mistaking an xA, xB or tC from any angle, yet, you know they are all Scions.

I happen to have the Black Cherry. It's a challenge keeping it shiny in Michigan but when its clean it is fantastic - lots of envious comments. Great in sun and at night. Had some reservations when I chose it, but no regrets.

Design is certainly a personal preference (they did actually sell some Azteks!) but the tC works for me in all the ways you pointed out. Scion made a statement with a fresh look that was not overdone.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    But sounds pretty dumb, testing an over $22-3k Chevy Cavalier rehash (suspension, looks) against an unblown $17k car. I'd take an SRT-4 over that in a heartbeat! I've known two people with 2000 Neons (1st year new design) that have had no problems. Never met (or heard of) a Chevy owner getting through the first year happy!

First of spring I'm getting a $17-20k car, and it was between Tacoma Prerunner, Mini, or tC, Mazda 3, and tC won. Mini is too expensive and limited (space). Tacoma is also very limited. The 3 is expensive for a Mazda, resale will not be what a tC will, but I like the warranty. I sat in the tC at a car show recently, and it blows Mazda 3 and Honda Civic Ex away in style, inside and out. The dash is awesome, the standard roof is unparalleled, versatile back seat/hatch.

I hate when mags put cars in contest and they don't make sense. The Cobalt SS can ONLY compare to the Mini S or SRT. THATS IT!

The SRT would wipe the floor with it, and the Mini will be worth TWICE what the Chevy will in TWO YEARS!

DrFIll
    The SS Supercharged was tested by itself, NOT against the tC - read the article before you comment. And I know many happy first year Chevy owners.

It was not as fast as the SRT-4, but outhandled and outbraked it. And it out-everythinged the Mini-S. It is the probably the best all around performer of the three, but I could see buying any of them.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    I take everything they write with a grain of salt, specially MT. They seem to be heavily biased towards GM products throughout their existence. Car and Driver favors Hondas, Automobile mag the exotics, and so forth...\

: )

Mackabee
    R&T tested the tC this month also. They seemed to be very high on it, and did a good job recognizing it's mission.

I believe they got 7.4 0-60 and .82 on the skidpad. Not too shappy for what is basically a 17K car. No, it isn't as much of a handler as the MiniS or SRT4, but at least the ride doesn't punish your kidneys. If you don't want the level of understeer designed in, there are readily available suspension upgrades.

• mic813mic813 Member Posts: 5
    Just wondering is and TC owners could tell me about the driver legroom. I am pretty tall 5'10" and I currently have a Escort ZX2 and have had trouble on long trips with my legs not be able to stretch out enough. According to the specs online, the legroom for the TC is actually less then what I have now. I love the look of the car, so I hoping its not a big deal. Thanks!

I am going to test-drive later today, so I guess I can find out for myself, but just looking for some advice from current owners.
    seems OK to me, and I'm 6' (32" inseam). I don't think I have the seat nearly all the way back either.

• mrhazel44mrhazel44 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know if there are dealer-offered kits for leather seats, or maybe Special Edition Packages that would include one? If so, why are they not on the Scion Webpage? If you know where to look for them, please, let me know. Thanks.
    I'm 6'2". I have no problem with legroom, but individual fit is so variable that you'll have to get in one yourself to be sure.
  • geneegenee Member Posts: 170
    Right now it appears there are only two nation wide sources for leather for a tC: Katzkin and Classic Softtrim. Katzkin will deal ONLY through a dealer for something less than two years old. Classic Softtrim will (and has done) many private tCs. Most dealers will offer one or the other as "their" leather package. They are MUCH better than a dealer who could offer one or two colors .. I had over thirty from which to pick when I had mine done.
  • leadzeroleadzero Member Posts: 11
    I have my deposit on a mica manual w/ side air-bags. I haven't gotten to drive it yet, it was dark when I put the deposit down and wanted to wait until day-time to take my drive just to make sure it was all just perfect in daylight. Anyway, had a few quick questions for those of you that have them:

1) Have you found a good pair of cheap floor mats that fit nicely?

2) Is the XM tuner worth the (now) $467 price? Or could I get the exact same thing from best buy for less? (Meaning it works with in-dash headunit instead of a completely seperate thing.)

3) Could I buy the wheel locks seperately instead of with the vehicle?

Anything else I should be sure to ask or be sure of? This will be my first car purchase, just graduated from college last month, yay for Toyota College Graduate programs.
    the factory mats are very nice, custom fit, and even have removable/replaceable carpet pieces in the fron ones. I never liked aftermarket, one size fits most mats. A little pricey at $149, but it included a trunk rug.

You can get the XM done aftermarket (still run through the head unit I'm pretty sure). Can't say to the price, but at least you get a Toyota warranty and for sure the correct bits/pieces. Or just spend $100 and get a portable unit.

Sure, you can buy the locks and put them on yourself. I'm not sure what they sell for at the parts counter, but I think they went for $59 installed, so it was much simpler to just have them put on.

This discussion has been closed.