Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion tC

Comments

• angcangc Member Posts: 1
    I have noticed my drivers side seat fading. I own a 05 tc and also have to replace the drivers side mat because it has worn out from the heel of my shoe. Anyone else have this problem??
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    have to replace the drivers side mat because it has worn out from the heel of my shoe. Anyone else have this problem??

Anyone who has driven a car with carpet floor mats while wearing shoe's has had this problem.
  • yankspride4yankspride4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a '06 tC that I bought in 2005. At 37,000 miles, the throttle body had to be replaced. Here I am a little over a year later and it needs to be replaced again. Has anyone experienced a problem like this?
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Nope. Can't say we have. My son's 05 tC has been trouble free for 62k miles.
    Mack
  • andeetandeet Member Posts: 142
    I only had one CEL problem: improper Cold Air Intake installation. Brake light came on at 70k; due to warp rotor.

Paint chips badly...almost to the point I probably can "Connect the Dots" every chip and can draw a picture.

Tires: Are expensive due to high performance low profile wheels. Try Hankook Ventus (All Seasons.) They usually run about $100 bucks. My tC seems to grip them hell alot better than the OEMs. They drove better in the snow and rain. In the winter time...I rotated them every month for better traction. But other Scion owners are saying they are terrible tires but I'm thinking they aren't keeping up with their maintenance.

Seats: After two years of ownership...mine still look brand new! Maybe because I use interior cleaner when I vacuum the car.

Floormats: Mine are wearing out too but only where my left foot rests. I drive with my left foot under my right foot cross legged (Trick I use for comfort while being on a forklift truck at work.)

--------------------------------------------

It's great car, I just wish I didn't have to drive it everyday and drive 40 miles a day to work. I'm hoping to buy a Yaris sometime next year and keep the tC for "weekend fun." Have time catch up to the mileage. I put too much money into this car and I would like to least see this car last for 10 years.
    Andrea, what is CEL?
    ,Mack
    CEL...is short for "Check Engine Light." Youthful Scion owners call it in the Scion forums world.
    I suggest in the TRD Lowering Springs & Struts/shocks. If can spend extra $250.00 get the Rear Sway Bar too and install it on "Racing Setting." :)

image">
    I see. Looks like I'm going to have to spend more time on the Scion forums. Tks (that's old geezer for Thanks!) LOL
    Mack
    LOL

We maybe government knowledge declined but we know any facts about the Scion name ;)

I forgot an actual picture of my car....

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    It's great car, I just wish I didn't have to drive it everyday and drive 40 miles a day to work. I'm hoping to buy a Yaris sometime next year and keep the tC for "weekend fun." Have time catch up to the mileage. I put too much money into this car and I would like to least see this car last for 10 years.

This mentality is easy to understand, I've had the same feelings myself in the past - but I finally came to realize, the cars are BUILT to be driven - that's what they are created for, and your Scion will easily make it 150,000 or 10 years without breaking a sweat, so drive the thing and enjoy it! Why drive a Yaris just to save the fun car, drive the fun car and have a ball! When the car has 300,000 miles on it and you've had 300,000 miles worth of fun with it, you'll be glad you did.

My philosophy: Drive what you love - life is short.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I agree with you. Although I don't like the phrase "drive it like you stole it" the thought applies here. I bought a 2008 Mitsubish Lancer GTS and love the car. I keep thinking about all-electrics, hybrids, etc., etc., but ya know, life is short.

I'm just gonna drive this thing and consume gasoline as need be for another 150,000 miles. And forget about other-propulsion technologies for a long time. Let them perfect these things and I'll come along later and trade for one of them. In a long while, mind you!

But I think your advice is sound for andeet, though. And he doesn't even have to steal it, right? :)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Looks great! Looks like you put on the ground effects, lip spoiler and lowered it. Awesome!

Here's a pic of my son's 05 tC number 250 off the assembly line. He swapped the factory wheels for G-games 18 inch wheels, trd shocks and lowering springs, air intake, window tint, led tail lights, mudguards, and he put a really nice inside light bulb that bathes the car in an ice blue tint.

Here's a pic of it when it came off the carrier truck. That's my son and me, Jun 2004

I've put 90k on '07! That I bought in November of '06 ;)

This car symbols every about me...Quiet at first but doesn't shut up once I get to know someone, competitive, willing to work harder than anyone out there.

Another factor is...I got hired on at my current job in May of '06 with guaranteed $1,000 sign-on bonus but pay out is on your six month employed date. On November 29, 2006; I saw that cash in my account with my paycheck. Went to the dealer later that day...bought my tC with that $1,000's. Then my profit sharings, tax returns, employment weekly sales bonus' kept going to the car. The dealer always knew when I had disposable money cause I always went to parts for TRD parts; in fact couple of other sales consultants tried selling me another car. LOL

I agree!!! How can you enjoy a car if you don't drive it!!! lol One lunch time at work. I got into argument with a co-worker. I was chatting another co-worker by saying "My next car is going to be a Lexus IS 250 (or 350.)" Then the co-worker asks me back "How much does one of those cost?" I said "Brand new about 32-35k" All of sudden another co-worker butts in and says "I WOULDN'T but a car for that much." I'm thinking..."Yeah because you're a cheap skate." Then he explains "I wouldn't pay that much cause they deprecate. No car ever makes you money." I'm like "BS" cause they are ALOT of classics out there still worth 50k! Hello!! Watch Barrett-Jackson! Then another co-worker said "BS (with the same fact as me.) If I'm going to buy a car. I'm going to drive it and enjoy it every minute." I hate that co-worker from day one! That co-worker always butting in with other people's conversations thinking he knows every single thing but he doesn't know jack! I personally think he's jealous cause here I am hired through HR and making bank while he had go through Temp Agency.

I hear stories from my uncles and my Dad. Talking about their GTOs, Challengers, 442s and they end with "I wish I still had it!" One of their childhood friends still owns his '67 Fastback Mustang and shows it at every classic car show known in Illinois.

^^^^That's what I want with my tC! I picture the car sitting in garage and when I have child. I picture the back seat with a child seat and my "Mini-me" screaming "Go fast again!" cause I made fast turn while spending "Mommy and Me" time.

So in other words: I am currently driving my dream car! I'm proud of bragging about it.
  • shaneinmishaneinmi Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

I purchased a scion tc today and got a stellar deal (I think...) it is a blue scion tc that was a demo with the pedestal spoiler, fog lights and the sports gas/brake pedals. I got 8k for my 05 civic trade in with 77k miles. i live in Michigan where we get a lot of snow...am i going to have an issue, anything i need to do to prepare? The car stickered at 20k, but they knocked down to $18,900 since it had 2k miles from being a demo...did I get a good deal? I ended up financing only 12k...after reading some of the stuff on here i am a little concerned with all the issues im hearing...wondering if i made a bad choice. I am used to honda civics reliability (never had a single problem in the 2 ive owned) and just now made the transition. Also...is the stereo system removable (just wondering re theft risk) I do not live in a bad part of town or the state. Lastly...when applying the brake should the entire "strip' on the back of the car light up or just the middle section?
    It's too late now to ask whether you got a stellar deal. You could have bought a brand new one with the same options (fog lights, pedestal spoiler) for $19,287 (Automatic) $800.00 less for the 5spd. I hope you bought it at a Toyota/Scion dealer and they certified the car.
    You don't have to worry about this car. It's made by Toyota and has the reliability of any other Toyota which these cars are known for.
    I believe only the middle lights up on the third light. I really haven't noticed but I remember my son mentioned something about it.
    I don't mean to rain on your parade. The Scion certified warranty is actually better than the new car warranty. In your case you would get both since the car is an 08 with 2200 miles. Enjoy it.!
    Mack
    Mack,

They sold it to me as new....they had me get "new car" financing, it was sold on the state invoice as new I only have the new car warranties per my contract. yes I purchased it at a very very very reputable toyota/scion dealer, the same owners own chevy, jaguar, lexus, etc. People come from all over the place to go to this dealership. Thank you for the info. One thing I noticed tonight when driving is that when you push the "fan off" button, the vents still blow out air...but if you push the button that recirculates the air in the cabin, it doesnt blow anything out....not sure what to make of this, what is your take? should i get it checked out. someone told me that you always have to have the recirculate button pushed if you dont want any air to come out of the vents, but with the grand cherokee, rav 4, and civics I have owned it was always if you selected for the fan to be off, nothing blew out of the vents...do i need to get this checked out, is it normal? By the way....loving the car so far
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing.....I hate to admit out loud to people I bought my '07 automatic new for $17,7xx because they didn't come with side & curtain airbags. Since I always have to cover my answer with "Toyota jacked up the prices for the '08s & '09s..."

Look at this....

http://www.libertyville-toyota.com/index.cfm?action=inventorysearch&subaction=se- archlistnew

This dealer is Autonation owned...They are selling used '08 auto for 17,9xx with 6k miles.
    Here's direct link
    http://www.libertyville-toyota.com/index.cfm?vehicle=2008_Scion_tC&action=Invent- orySearch&subaction=SearchDetailUsed&InventoryID=16647522&inventorytype=Used

Since Autonation hates Carmax...Time to compare the two. LOL

Carmax...

They have used '06 with 18k miles, 5-speed, stock asking $17,599
    http://www.carmax.com/enUS/view-car/default.html?AVi=0&id=4786401&N=4294966537&D- =90&zip=53403&No=0&Ep=Homepage%20Make&Rp=R&PP=20&sV=List&CD=190+8+9&Q=0896f80a-1- 4f3-402f-95d3-7f8934ef4cf0

Then they have brand new '08 5-speed, stock again asking $17,799
    http://www.carmax.com/enUS/view-car/default.html?AVi=1&id=4892536&N=4294966537&D- =90&zip=53403&No=0&Ep=Homepage%20Make&Rp=R&PP=20&sV=List&CD=190+8+9&Q=0896f80a-1- 4f3-402f-95d3-7f8934ef4cf0

Haha!!! I hope whoever wants a Scion badly WILL walk around each dealer and notice these! LOL
    That is normal. The recirculate button basically blocks any fresh air from coming into the cabin. When you switch to fresh it will let some outside air in even without the fan being on.

As long as you are happy with the deal, that's all that matters. Like I said it's a great car for the money. I consider it a Lexus two door IS without the fancy features but the same quality of materials and workmanship.
    Mack :)
    Used pricing on Scions is out of whack. Some dealers will sell you a used one for more than you can get a new one if you are not familiar with Scion's pricing strategy. We have an 08 on the lot that are used car managers over priced. The car has a little over 2200 miles and has a lip spoiler and a Pioneer nav system. They want $20,990. for it. You can get a brand new one with the Scion nav system and the lip spoiler for a few dollars less.

These guys (manglers) make some huge mistakes sometimes. A customer trade in an 08 Prius with package 2, the UCM appraised it as a Package 5 which has nav in it and quite a few other goodies. This means we now own a Prius for more than you can get one new. Asking price: $27,990.00! Original price $23,909.00 I brought it to their attention that the car does not have nav or the other things that are in package 5 and that it was way overpriced and their response was; "Supply and demand, you can't even get a new one right now." which is partly true. We have deposits on incoming new Prius but some of these are what I like to refer to as "mind deals" meaning a salesperson will tell the mangler he has a deposit from the customer when in fact they don't and they will go ahead and reserve the vehicle for them. When the car comes in all of a sudden the "customer" the car was reserved for is nowhere to be found so the car becomes available. And with the price of gas right now it's a feeding frenzy out there.
    Mack
    Does anyone know how the tcs handle in snow? I live in MI where we get a decent amount of it :confuse:
    Hmm....Take it slow until you get to know the car's limit.

Manual shifting the auto tranny in heavy down pour is a must! Or you'll keep spinning the wheels when a stop signs and lights. Because of the torque power. You'll run into the same problem when on unplowed street with snow up to the upper bumper; if you try to go out of the house. I actually drove in reverse to four houses then I had to make quick make "Y" turn to face the slope and manually shift it to the max as I Leadfoot it. While being in two feet of snow.

I kept sliding at every slippery stop light even if I slowed down. Usually when that happened to me; I knew that was time to rotate the tires. Then it was fine for that month.

I may buy a "Beater with a Heater" cause I now work 40 miles away from home. Of course, night shift! All snow storms are usually happening when I'm driving home. I thought about winter tires but for good set: $1,500 or more. I can buy a beater.
    The Bridgestone Turanza's which come on most tC's are not good tires in the rain. My son had those on his car and replaced them as they caused too much hydroplaning in the rain. I wouldn't worry too much in the snow. Front wheel drives handle better than rear wheel drive in snow. Just remember if you start to skid to steer in the direction of the skid.
    Mack
    :shades:
    I do that too...

So I was at my dealer today...Carmax of Kenosha, Wisconsin. Had the TRD wheels on stock for me. I decided on paying my evil bills first; credit cards. So I went there to explain I couldn't get them. Then I decided on looking into a new "Cabin Air Filter;" turns out Toyota claims that the tC doesn't have that type of air flow.

But! I claim it does have a system. Oh well. I went to my car and went to the glovebox. Took the glovebox out and this "Denzo Toyota" labeled white plastic stick same size as a ruler. So I pulled it out; all of sudden a filter was in this plastic drawer. It was dusty and bugs were on it.

I should of walked to Parts again and showed them.

Anyway, a sales consultant about my age walked out of a tC. He walked up to me and asked what I was doing. Then he bragged about owning a '08; I should of bragged back "Well I'm under the $20k payoff amount" but I didn't. I know him on a good ground so we usually talk about Scions when bumping into each other. Told him about the whole Cabin Air Filter. He said "I have 400-ish miles. On mine" I replied back; "Well you should still check it. Cause I went to Jiffy Lube one time and they showed me the drawer then said it didn't come with one. So you guys sold me new tC without a filter." I told him about the Parts and what they told me. All of sudden, he asked me about my TRD parts. So I showed him everything. He said "Well the wife is strict about what I can do with this car."

I'm going to admit this out loud...I had crush on him ever since I became a costumer. No wonder why my personal sales consultant interrupted my minor "Flirting" when the three of us were chatting together one time. LOL Well, I do work in a warehouse base company...I guess I should start man hunting as well. JUST KIDDING LOL I enjoy being only me. Although our Operations Manager met his wife in the same warehouse when they were working the first shift.
    well mine is an automatic...thats funny the guy that sold me mine had a thing for me too i think haha it was kinda funny...
    I don't know if he's really married? Cause I caught him wearing a band another time. But every time he saw me looking at one of the showroom Scions; he always wondered what I was looking for or when he sees me walking around...always stops and chats with me. Another S.C. and him were standing around while I was waiting to chat with my personal SC. I heard this SC tell him "Hey, go for it." He quickly blushed and gave him look back.

I caught my personal sales consultant wearing her bands on her left hand one day when she usually wears them on the right.

I know people who work in those environments usually wear "bands" to avoid getting hit on. I don't know if "wife" is a term for "I can't be blowing money away for parts cause I can't afford it?" I know how much Carmax SCs make so little they have to work 6 days a week. I'm pretty shy when it comes to dating...so much I really can't pick up getting "hitted on." LOL

Sides when I usually stop by there; I'm wearing my work uniform or t-shirt, jeans or shorts with weekend baseball hat with my hair pulled back. I'm 24 and I barely wear makeup or earrings. I'm like a Tomboy girl who still hasn't grown up into "Full grown young woman" cause I love being comfortable. I just hope they aren't getting the impression about "Same Sex"....I'm so far, far away from that. LOL

I work in a warehouse because its pays me $16.80 hour. It's brainless work. Its a privately owned company of a family. They happened to be kind enough to share their wealth by giving us Profit Sharing, Huge End of the year Bonus,' Weekly Sales Bonus,' 120 hours of paid time off until your 10 years then its full month.
  • whitey9whitey9 Member Posts: 138
    Federal Law - you MUST have some ventilation air coming in while driving, unless you manually override it ( recirc ). This is especially important when using the heater. Falure to do so causes drowsiness and might cause an accident. Older models do not have this required feature.
    So I purchased my TC rougly on 6/16. Loved it at first, however it is now the 28th and I find myself on the phone once again with car dealerships....heres why

The TC, in a nutshell is not designed for daily use in my opinion. The backseats are absolutely tiny no one over 5'6 can fit comfortably back there. (ALL my friends complained about it.) However, the features are great and cannot be beat for the price. It handles wonderfully gas mileage is halfway decent (NO comparison to the civics, however). The moonroof is nice, however the coverings for it are the cheapest material I have ever laid eyes on in a car. The paint is wretched, if you have a color, it will spot up and its nearly impossible to get them off. The "hatch" cargo space is non existent. you cant even do a grocery shopping trip without stuff rolling everywhere (with or without the tiny cargo net they provide).

The tc overall is a decent car, nothing special or notable, expensive to maintain from what i have been told by many owners. When i called the lady who sold me my car, she wasnt surprised I wanted to get rid of it. She said people traide in their Scions (tc or other) after a week or two on almost a monthly basis. She said she owned one herself and traded it in like 2 days later. Thankfully they are only taking mileage deductions off the trade in price. I am very relieved and thankful to say I will be picking up my shiny new Matrix on monday...much more practical, much more room, and the same gas mileage. If you are looking for something practical, for daily use, and that you will be happy with for a long time I'd go with the matrix or the Corolla..makes much more sense. :surprise:
    You either LOVE it or it's UNPRACTICAL for your usage!

Back in '04. My brother totalled his '02 Lancer OZ Rally edition. My Dad reads car magazines like a bible. Hell, we have all the magazines from Road & Track, Car & Driver from late 80's to current in our house. So my Dad took him to local Toyota dealer. They looked at the tC. Agreed it was sharp looking car but my brother being 6'4 and big guy. And he's known to drive his friends around town. My Dad said it was not practical for him. He went with '04 Ralliart Lancer.

Me on another hand.....

I'm 5'4, husky built. Pretty much aloner. It's perfect for me! In fact, this isn't my first Scion. I bought a '06 xA and got it when I was making minimal wage. My payments were under $300s. I wanted to keep the car for daily driving and buy this tC for fun. I currently make enough to do so.

But Toyota Financial didn't agree; they probably thought my other debts were too high. Like my credit card balances and the time. So they told me in requirements: "Must trade in current TFS." My sales consultant basically gave me statement of "If you went to more aggressive dealership. They would of found a way to throw the keys into my pocket. You would leave in heartbeat with two car keys" Since I went to Carmax again and went with the same consultant again.

I guess she didn't need the sale but didn't want to see me shoot myself in a foot. Like I said before she kept business relationship with me and got to know each other quite well. She did lecture me quite often when we would bump into each other when I was getting service done. When I tried buying the tC first time (I tried two times.) I thought it was ironic that her co-worker friend was the sales manager. I wonder to this day...if they both plan it that way. I bet million dollars if I went there with least 5k down payment it would of been different story.

On my 2nd try...I agreed on trading the xA in. Got my sign on bonus from work within five hours; went back at 11:00 am. Applied for the loan at noon-ish. Got approved around 3:00 pm-ish; turns out TFS didn't believe that I was making $15.00's hour when seven months ago I was making $8.00. Then "somehow" TFS found out another bank approved me for the loan and I agreed their terms. And they decided on offering me the same terms but I guess they called my employer and took additional two hours. I remember the time was going to 4:00 pm when I said "Yes." I didn't leave the dealer until 6:05 pm when I had to work at 6:30 pm. Ran inside the 300,000+ sq feet warehouse then halfway of the building to the time clock. Punched in at 6:28 LOL I think that was the longest day I ever witnessed. Car shopping and working in the same day...I got really cranky when 3:00 am came along. LOL Then to top it off; I didn't eat anything all day until lunch time at work. During my xA's delivery, it was slow and my Dad was crank and hungry. I was hungry cause I didn't eat all day, again.

Following day...I realized I had my third key of the xA still. Went back. The consultant happened to be standing there. "Something happened to the car???...Were you late to work???" "No I have my third key for the xA and I want to drop it off."

I love telling that story! If you want dealerships to hurry up on delivery.... say you have to work in few hours!

Next time I buy a car. It will probably be another Toyota. So I can probably go back and see the same consultant again. I'm bringing $5k for down payment, I'll come on a paid vacation time, and bring $40 bucks in cash. We'll take our time and if I get hungry again... I'm ordering a pizza have it delivered to the sales desk behind her back. LOL Probably won't be a problem that is if I share. LOL

Talking about good day...Car shopping and get company pay while doing it.
    you're cracking me up! I test-drove a 2006 Polar White Scion xA. 5-speed, foglights, aux.mp3 hookup, only $14,295. And my son went along for the test-drive, not my wife.

"How d'ya like it?" I asked my 25 y/o son.

"It's OK."

"Do ya have enough room back there", I asked, because I drove and the salesman rode in the passenger seat.

"Yeah."

I left, not able to trade our '01 Kia Sportage 4X4 in for this car when my wife was as work. I knew she wouldn't like the car, anyway! I brought the xA sales brochure home and said that I enjoyed the test drive.

The result of that conversation? She hated it's looks. End of pursuit.

I loved shopping for our '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, in March of 2007. Right down to enjoying the little coffee's out of the machines and Pepsi's. It's fun. She loved the Lancer GTS(though not nearly as much as I did, and still do!!)and we traded for that pup.

I see you're from Wiiissssscon-son. My wife and son and bro-in-law are heading up to MilwaukeeFest right now. My wife is pining to see John Mellencamp. Hope she gets to score tickets for that. We love his music and neither of us has ever seen his live show.

Update me. You bought a Scion tC, right? I test drove a 2005 Scion tC RS 1.0, in Absolutely Red, that same day I test drove the 2006 Scion xA in Polar White. Nice car, cool throaty exhaust sound. I love Scion's tC and Mitsu's Lancer. Excellent Japanese-built cars.

You should have thought of that before you bought it. I don't let friends dictate what I should drive or buy. And the salesperson that told you people trade them in after two weeks is flat out lying to you.
    Mack
    First all, buying the tC within seven months of buying the xA. Was all my choice. I had million of chances to shoot the idea down; but of course I didn't. The consultant didn't put a witch curse on me to force me to buy it. lol

It's good car. Rattles are pain in the "A" but I'm used it by now. I taught myself how to do own oil changes which is quite easy on the engine since the drain plug and filter are foot away from the passenger fender. You really don't need to go under the car completely; my left shoulder and arm only goes under. Oh and the filter is straight down so its easy to tighten and unscrew without problems.

My co-worker knows to do anything...audio, performance, and exterior. I asked him to repaint my car. He said "Okay, what color?" I'm thinking of purple-dark blue-ish. Then he said "Oh we can do audio, and some performance." He said "Depends on what you want? If you go for performance...We can do it. If you want looks? We can do that? Also depends on how much you want to spend?" I told him least 5k. But I'm thinking of making it lighter by ripping out the backseats put in racing seats. I might put the rest of exhaust system. My theory is...if I'm keeping this car for weekend fun. It also means I'm going to want to race it at the local drag strip.
    I would definitely second that emotion on racing that pup down at the local strip. This is why we love our cars. Exactly why I fell in love with my '08 Mitsu Lancer GTS. What a delicious looking car! I love accelerating in to turns with it. Love it!

It sounds like you scored big with finding a capable automotive worker in your co-worker, there. Nice find! Now you can make that tC in to your own rig, come what may or what might. I love these tC's and I thought the xA was fun to drive, too. But not nearly as fun to drive as that '05 Scion tC RS 1.0 in Absolutely Red was. That was a 5-speed and its exhaust already sounded modded! It growled when your punched it, especially through gears 2, 3 and 4.

I remember while going to school in Missouri, my wife and I took a little trip to Bull Shoals Dam, and Mountain Home, AR. Pretty part of America there, for sure. But, one night, we left the motel in search of some good road food. I drove our '01 Kia Sportage 4X4 up a little incline, when all of a sudden I heard this throaty exhaust sound. Now, ya gotta remember that all of this time I was checkin' out Scion Life and other Scion websites, and still thinking I was gonna buy a Scion tC one day.

Well, what car passes me slowly on my left, a silver, shiny Scion tC! The driver revved it up and slowly passed by us. My wife doesn't share my love for cars, so, I said nothing about it. What was there to it, you might wonder?

It was how cool that car sounded and how cool it looked when our Sportage's headlights lit up the back of it on that warm Arkansas evening! I love cars and one of them I love is the Scion tC. Some complain that the Celica was unfairly trounced by this car. Like they're wondering why Toyota replaced the Celica with the tC. Longer discussion could ensue on that issue, but we won't go there now. Uh-huh, ladies and germs, this car trumps the outgoing Celica, with the numbers not even being close, IMHO. :shades:

• vastovasto Member Posts: 4
    Back in October, 2007 I mentioned to a salesman that I was disappointed that the Celica line had been discontinued. I was looking to replace my 2001 Celica GT hatchback which had served me well. This being the third Celica after a 94 and before that a 90. While the 01 had less room than the 94, I liked the styling, the sporty feel and the 38 MPG was good too. Anyway he asked if I has seen the tC. So I drove a silver 2007 tC that has been on the lot for over a year but they wouldn’t budge on price so I passed. A couple of weeks later he called with info on a 2008 that was actually $10 less. They had an advertised deal where they would pay state sales tax on all Scion and Toyotas until October end. So I bought it. Mileage is averaging 29 MPG which is acceptable for a heavier car with a bigger engine. The hatchback feature is something I enjoyed in all the Celicas and it’s quite surprising what you can fit in the back with the seats down. For getting groceries, have the rear seat backs up if you don’t want stuff to slide. I agree the net is nearly useless, unlike my RAV net. My two complains are that the doors are very heavy and need a lot of room to open so you don’t bang them into something like a cart bay at the grocery or Walmart. Also the car is no sports car. Take a turn a little fast and your [non-permissible content removed] wants to slide sideways. But for the price ($17,620) including tax I think it was a great deal. I have owned it now for just over 8 months. If you need to carry passengers, buying a coupe to seat more than two makes little sense.
    You got it! The car is very versatile if you know what to do with it. And you probably didn't know about Scion's pure price philosophy. It's not that they can't discount the car it's that if they discount one say $500.00 then all the cars of that model have to be discounted the same amount for all customers. Dealers have misread the Scion covenant and took it to mean sticker price only and that is not the case. The idea behind it is that everyone pays the same price no matter where you buy the car.
    :)
    Mackabee

:shades:
    The TRD is not loud enough to scare people away like a Harley. But if you leadfoot it, I mean LEADFOOT it. That muffler will scream. Over the weekend I actually drove on some frontage roads. I manually shift the auto stick...to 9,000 rpms on 1-2 gears. I actually heard for the first time; the wind just sucking into the cold air intake. It was so loud that it was making whistle sound. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Made me want to do it again LOL But I didn't.

But of course hearing the TRD; makes cops want to do "Cat and Mouse" with me too.

Here's a link to sound clip; I have it on my car domain site.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2581260
    Sorry, I meant to say is "6,000 RPMs." I wrote that post during lunch and it was going on the last four minutes.

I wish I could make my own clips. I would let you guys view them first.

Most clips on youtube. of engine revving with TRD exhaust; they are just babying the car. If I was to do it...I would get RPMs to least 7. Come on now, if you're doing to be mean. BE MEAN!! Two weekends ago, I revved the engine to my uncle twice. Then my brother came by and revved it again. Then my six year old nephew revved it twice and he didn't do it gentle. (Not my idea! My brother's) I had the hand-brake on.
    You got it going girl! I like all the performance upgrades you've done to it.
    :)
    Mack
    Yeah, it's possible to make a tC into two-seater. Rip out the backseat, back wall panels, possible back floor carpeting. Throw some racing seats, street racing anti-roll bar, racing harness', gauges, lighter wheels...you got yourself a lighter street car.

I don't want to do the whole Turbo with intercooler. I don't want my tC to be very uncontrolling. My cousin did his Neon and two weeks ago he took me on a test drive. The poor car was vibrating to the extreme and when he barely leadfoot it...car did least 40 within two seconds. I also didn't like the delay of starting...took least half of minute to start. I want my horsepower to get 180. I still want it mostly stock but with little temper, hence Exhaust, CAI. My next power add-on Header. Estimated to add 13 hp.

Another thing is...if Riceburners saw my tC with that type of power. They'll would challenge me when I'm against going on the streets. I've done it once and I'm was scared for what was in front of me. I live 20 minutes away from a drag strip; if I want to screw around. I'll take it on the track. But if I want to be adult about it; I'll do 100 on a country road highway at 4:30-5:00 am on Sunday. So others won't get endangered.
    Mack,

actually the woman showed me some of the papers of people with the exact same complaints as I had. I ended up keeping the TC...for now because the matrix was alright, but got used to the smaller car thing by the time i actually got around to getting in there...ill give it a whirl in the winter but if it fails, its gone. Actually, the woman isnt lying to me because the manager showed me the same thing and come to find out thats why the other 2 are still sitting on the lot with about 3-4k miles on it because people were so dissatisfied. Luckily, the thing kinda grew on me. However, one strike against it at the moment is that the stripping above the windshield has shriveled up due to "hot weather" I find that rather interesting seeings how I have never seen a vehicle do that before, no matter how hot it gets. Starting to question the craftsmanship...big time.
    I'm strong believer in if there was test track. And you place 50,000 of the same car model and year on this test track. Test every single car: power, gas mileage, quality of exterior and interior, quality of the engine. You wouldn't get the same results.

Hence why when automakers test a new design or model; they use multiples.

I personally feel I am one of the lucky ones to buy a good tC. My recorded gas mileage is two miles higher than what Toyota promised. Engine turns with ease even in 10 degrees weather. Hell, I left my car with only reserved fuel while I was at work when we had -20 wind chill...guess what? The car started within two turns and still ran good to the gas station when on the last drop. I even had engine sludge when I first got it (My stupid "butt" fault: Oh I think to change my oil every 3 months while driving 15,000+ miles) and the car still balanced back.

Remember "You get what you paid for"...This car isn't $35,000's nor $25,000 so you're not going to get the better paint job or the foam in the back hatch to never have the rattling start.

There's question I'm also strong believer in "When you need oil. What type and brand do you grab?"

Do you just buy what ever 5-20 you can get on sale or just grab whatever? Or do you online and research every possible oil brand. Then decide on what's the best? What can you buy at any auto parts store or department store?

Here's mine: I use Mobil 1 5-20. Because its high quality oil. Its not as expensive as Amsoil or Royal Purple but you can buy it at any auto parts store. I get better gas mileage, better starts, smoother acceleration even at the 5,000 mark. Those reasons makes me believe that my tC prefers Mobil 1 over conventional & Toyota Sythentic oils. So if the car likes it; I'm going to keep on giving M1.

Reason why I bring that up is...the condition of your car is going to be based on how well you're going to treat it.

This is coming from 24 year old woman who has owned three cars so far in her life. I treated one car like crap then treated another like champ. Guess who was holding up better?
    one strike against it at the moment is that the stripping above the windshield has shriveled up due to "hot weather" I find that rather interesting seeings how I have never seen a vehicle do that before, no matter how hot it gets. Starting to question the craftsmanship...big time.

Well, ahem, remember what you paid for it. It is after all, one of the least expensive new cars on the market.....not a Lexus.
  • cdmuilecdmuile Member Posts: 152
    Well, ahem, that stripping should not have occurred....period! What does the price of the vehicle have to do with it? The dealer should take care of the problem, no charge, and right now!
    Indeed, the dealer should fix this, and I hope they did. But I hear you don't get top line Toyota quality always, with a Scion..... like some of their models are subcontracted out entirely. :confuse:
    Really. Where did you find that information? Just curious, but Toyota quality was a major purchasing reason. Please don't tell me that Scion has been outsourced to, like, Yugo!

What is it? TRD Aurion. Supercharged V6: 323 hp, 295 torque pounds. Has the title for the World's fastest FWD. But only available in Australia. Australia Highway patrol officers use these for their patrol cars.

http://www.toyota.com.au/aurion/trd-aurion

Least they can try American model since Toyota is slacking with the Supra project.
    Andrea, the Aurion is really a Camry. Look at the interior and it's like our Camry SE. It does look a lot better than our Camry. We will probably get it here as a refresh for 2010 or maybe the next generation like they did with the Corolla.
    Mack
    Since I work with very car inclined people. They have been known to built cars from bottom to up.

I decided on putting the end to my Scion tC project. And go for a early 70's VW Beetle. My co-worker is keeping close eye on one on ebay. If no, one bids I can buy for $175.00. Yes it comes with a motor! He knows people that could easily tow it to his place where the fixing up would happen. Body work, repaint, rebuilt engine, new interior.

His family lives to built up cars. He even told me they've been know to work on cars to night to day. He's looking forward to it already. I told him my story why I wanted one and he kept saying "Okay."

My theory is...there's so many parts you can buy the Beetle and not put a dent into the wallet. You want economical classic car go for a VW; its been proven. $5,000 to Beetle means completely restored Beetle while to a Scion means wheels, header, sound; that's about it.
    I have an '08 tC release series 4.0 with the manual 5 speed. I really would like a tad more sound from the exhaust. Not much....just a little. Any suggestions? Please list specific brands and your suggested price range. Thanks in advance.
  • heybroderheybroder Member Posts: 78
    You mentioned having your tC some temper....exhaust..I understand that; then you say CAI. What is CAI? And where would you get a header? Would replacing the stock exhaust with a header, void the warrenty? Does the automatic transmission hold up? Is it reliable? I have to have something that will last well over 100,000 miles. Yes, I plan on taking very good care of it. Just because I too want "temper" doesn't mean I am going to drive it as a hotrod. tyvm
This discussion has been closed.