Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion tC

libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
edited July 2014 in Scion
This will be a convertible. Does anyone know about this upcoming model?

Comments

• libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    $10K less than the current least expensive convertible?
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I heard the xC would be a sporty coupe with more power than the two current models.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    cheap convertible.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    This could be fun, actually.

I bought a used Miata and would have at least considered something like this were it available at the time.

It has to be light, though, that's the key to the current Scions. The engine has little torque. Convertibles add weight, so that's a bad combination.

And puh-lease kill the dorky center-mounted speedo. They should be above the steering wheel. People rejected the Echo for this reason (and others).

-juice
  • wsag26wsag26 Member Posts: 124
    I was reading MotorTrend magazine and I came upon possible styling for the Xc. It didn't exactly look like a convertible, but it resembled more of a hatchback. Styling not once so ever looked like there current hatchback the Xa, so my guess is Toyota Corp. might be changing there mind about whether it will be a convertible or hatchback, or maybe if it will come to America at all....
  • pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    Motor Trend is now saying the Scion xC will be the Toyota Avensis! Not that this is earth-shattering news because for the most part the Avensis, especially in sedan form, is kind of dull. I don't see how it will appeal to the youth crowd, but it seems to be a very nice car and if it has Scion-like pricing then I'll definetly consider one as my next car.

One problem is it may not have Scion-like pricing. In the UK the pricing ranges from £14,200 to £21,700. This is definetly not in the same price range as the Scion xA or xB. Either way I find it appealing and hope they bring it over.

What does everyone think?

Here is a review from 4car that will give you some info on what the Avensis is about. It's available in sedan, hatchback, and wagon variations. This will appeal to a broad range of people, but again seems to not really appeal to the youth crowd in my opinion.

http://www.channel4.com/apps26/4car/jsp/main.jsp?lnk=231_2&re- viewid=779

Nothing is confirmed yet though, so this car may not be coming. The project leader is an audio buff so the Avensis has a very good stereo already in place, so that covers the prerequisite good stereo that all Scions are suppose to have.
    I've been wondering why Toyota hasn't whipped out the new Avensis to compete with Passat, at least in style, here in the United States. Yeah, it would definitely steal sales from Camry, but if you named it Avensis Camry (so long as they are somehow related), you've got your sales numbers problem solved.
    "Yeah, it would definitely steal sales from Camry, but if you named it Avensis Camry (so long as they are somehow related), you've got your sales numbers problem solved."

Yeah I thought about that, it could definetly steal sales from the Camry. One way around that though is to not offer the 2.4 engine. The next engine is the 2.0 which has 145 hp or something like that. It only weighs around 2800-2900 pounds though so it'll be close to the Camry in speed even though it has less HP because of the less weight.

Still a lot of Americans buy HP and even though I haven't compared the exterior dimensions, the Avensis is probably smaller on the outside as well. This may be reason enough to have a lot of people still want the Camry. Also by the time it comes out (and hopefully it will) the Camry redesign will be a year or two away, so after the Avensis is on the market for a year or so the new Camry will be close to coming out.

If they play their cards right they can keep it from hurting Camry sales too much. To me though the Avensis seems to be a better overall car than the Camry.
    Looks like a Corolla with a VW front-end. The outcome is OK, though. I'm not sure it'll fit in with the image the xB portrays.

Camry buyers' median age has crept up there, I'm just not sure how this would attract younger buyers, besides lower price?

-juice
    Ok I've done some more looking around for info on this car and here's what I've come up with. By the way the car has been shown to some Toyota dealers and people so a lot of this info is probably accurate. No pictures but here's some info.

The car will be named "tC" and not xC.

It will indeed be a 2-door coupe. Some say it will sort of look like the civic coupe, others say like the solara or celica. Basically I can't find any consistent info about it's looks. Word is though it will NOT look like the ccX concept.

Platform? Can't find any info but a double wishbone suspension is being thrown around. The Avensis platform has struts in front and double wishbone in back so maybe this is what Motor Trend was talking about.

Optional turbocharger/supercharger from the factory.

Engine will be either 2.4 in Camry or 1.8 in Celica.

Will have a glass roof. One of those panoramic sunroof type things. Didn't the ccX concept have this? Most info says it will have this but at the same time will not look like the ccX concept.

Price will come in barely under $18,000. I believe this is Scion's top limit on pricing. The car will have a lot of standard equipment and come in under $18,000.

Will be officially shown in January at the Detroit Auto Show. Will be out April-June 2004. Word has it the Scion brand will not be released to the rest of the country until this time or possibly as late as July or so. It looks like everything is planning to happen in the middle of next year though.

17" alloys standard

6-speed manual or auto

Personally I think the glass roof thing is a big mistake. That must add on significantly to the price and some people simply won't care about having one. It should be an option and not standard. All the info I read from people who were there at the unveiling or heard something from someone (I know, take all this with a grain of salt) said something about the glass roof being on it.

I think under $18,000 with a lot of standard equipment is a good price, but the glass roof must add at least $1,000 to the price. Again that would be a big mistake in my opinion. It needs to be an option, not standard.

Bottomline is though the Scion tC has been shown to a significant number of people so I think at least some of this info is accurate.
    Guess I jumped to conclusions too quick. lol I still wish the Avensis was being offered but you're right, it doesn't fit into the youth crowd or into what Scion is about.
    Also interesting is the Celica is due for a complete redesign very soon, probably for the 2005 model year. Won't the Scion and Celica be in direct competition with each other? Wonder what they'll do to keep them different enough. I guess the glass roof or optional turbocharger is enough to appeal to the more younger crowd compared to the Celica.
    Great pic! Thanks! I can't wait to see this car.

So what's this mean for the Celica? What was a Corolla Levin?
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    Previous posts are correct. It will have a modified Camry four banger.
    Is the glass roof standard? I don't think it's a good move if it is. That has definetly got to add some money to the final price if it's standard. Some people like me don't care for sunroofs and never use them so being forced to take a glass roof seems like it'll make some buyers look elsewhere.

It would be better to cheapen the base price and make it optional, that way people who simply don't want it or want to save some extra money can get one without it.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    This could be the model that gets me into the Toyota/Scion showroom for my next vehicle. The xA and xB, while versatile, are simply too underpowered, and the xB- bizarre. If this tC offers a modified Camry 2.4L, with its excellent blend of torquey delivery and fuel efficiency, sign me up. Hope the front end looks good, too.

~alpha
  • joeboumpsjoeboumps Member Posts: 8
    Can we please change the title to the Scion tC.
    Wow that was fast!
    Will it get the goofy speedometer location? I hate when it's in the middle like the other Scions.

If it does get a glass roof, it had better have good A/C!

-juice
    I would say the speedometer will be in the normal position since the other cars the tC is based upon have it in that location.
    I hope so. Keep your fingers crossed!!

~alpha
    I suspect the tC will be much like the Toyota Allion.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/Allion/index.h- tml

The two back ends are very similar.
    Kinda dull looking from the front. :-(

-juice
    Could we have the tC added to the "browse by vehicle" list on the side of the page? This topic might pick up some more traffic that way.
    Has Toyota confirmed yet if this car is going to be a traditional coupe or is it going to be some sort of 3-door hatchback type vehicle?

I think it would be odd to add yet another hatchback to the lineup when the xA is already there. Young people like traditional coupes as well, so why not have a coupe in the lineup instead of some funky looking hatchback with a glass roof? You also have the Celica and Matrix as well. How many more of these cars do you need?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    I will make the suggestion. Unfortunately, I can't add that menu item myself.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• 2005sciontc2005sciontc Member Posts: 2
    The 2005 Scion tC will make it world dubut at January 2004 NAIAS.You can look for more infomation at January 2004.I Like the 2005 Scion tC it has 2.4L engine from the camry the scion tC sunroof is great it could open up and could be a convertible like a Cadillac SRX Ultra View Sunroof.I hope it could face Acura RSX and Scion tC who win Scion tC 2.4L.Did you know Toyota Celica will get a full redesign in 2005 model year.Did you know 2005 Scion tC will face Civic Coupe I hope the Scion win.I will buy a 2005 Scion tC and hope to get more cusdom on my cars like the 20 inch rims in my cars
  • 2005sciontc2005sciontc Member Posts: 2
    Did you know Scion tC 17 inch wheel,sunroof,2.4L Camry engine,new tail light,new xenon headlight,also 2 door coupe like hatchback and I hope the inside on th Scion tc will be different than the xA and xB.I hope it have sporttronic like the 2004 camry solara coupe.The Scion tC will go on sale in april-June 2004.
    Full details on ther Tc are available at scion.com I can't wait for June.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Looks good! Engine and specs remind me of the Japanese Corolla Levin/Sprinter Trueno twins. With all the TRD mods, this could be one hot seller!! Crisp, sharp lines too!! :)
    I'll get to see it on the 7th at Detroit. Will report back here.

-juice
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Looks plain up front and just like a Celica in back. May be the sportiest Scion, but to me the least appealing. Looks too much like every Celica since the late 80s.
  • gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    The bigger engine leaves more potential for aftermarket tinkering.

And the conservative looks also leave a lot of room for aftermarket add-ons.

Who knows... could be a winner.
    Blurb was very favorable. The styling is agreeable to me, and if they can price it well with all those standard features, the punchy (even when normally aspirated) and efficient 2.4L, I'm going to be taking a serious look at it. Love the trick rear seat and hidden hatch functionality.

~alpha
  • fdannafdanna Member Posts: 263
    I like everything about the car from what I've seen ... except.... I drive 70 miles a day and I value fuel economy more than engine size. 22city /29highway isn't going to cut it for me and gas isn't getting any cheaper.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd rather have a smaller engine... a 1.7 @ 130hp would be fine for me.
  • gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a hybrid version of the tc out very soon.

Now Honda and Toyota are already talking about hybrids that not only have better fuel mileage, but also have more POWER (hp) than the conventional trim versions. The best of both worlds in one neat package!
    Toyota isn't just talking about more power, they are going to deliver it. The RX 400H and the Highlander hybrid will have about 40 more HP than their normal counterparts.
    The Scion is rated at 22/29? Where are you getting that info? The 2.4L Camry with auto is rated at 23/32.....with manual, 24/33, Im pretty sure.

~alpha
    I do see where the 22/29 came from... I assume youre looking at the PDF on the scion.com website. I wonder if those figures will change once the vehicle is officially rated by the EPA...I find it hard to believe that Toyota would market a small coupe with marginal numbers, below its mainstream family sedan. However, the tC is weighty... 2925 with a manual? Thats very close to a Solara coupe 2.4L 5M.... I'm wondering how much of this info has been printed properly. For example, if you look, the Passenger Volume is listed at 34.7 cubic feet, which is NOT EVEN POSSIBLE. Also, all accounts I have read, including the press release on toyota.com, put this version of the 2.4L at 160hp and 163 torque. Why is it different in the PDF?

Toyota needs to sweat the details in its promotional literature.

~alpha
    Looks good, better in person than in photos, like many cars. Clean styling drew lots of attention. Scion staff were giving away freebies, but that meant there were lines of people.

The marketing was 2nd only to the Mini Cooper booth, which was awesome, but that's another story.

I like the tC. Looks like what a handsome Corolla SR5 coupe would look like if they still built it today. Remember those? Small and sporty, but more practical than a Celica.

I was at NAIAS during the industry preview days, it opens to the public on the 10th. They were out of brochures, all over the place they were out. Press kits were hard to come by also. Bummer.

Scion had a good show, though. Compared to Kia and Suzuki, which failed to grab any attention at all.

-juice
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    Wish they'd bring over the five-door version from Europe! Isn't there a four-door also?
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    The tc looks like a 2+2 successor to Honda's CRX.
    It makes me wish we had Scion up here in the great white north!
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    The tC is based on the Toyota Avensis, which is a 4-door sedan and wagon. Yea, I'd like to see them here too! :)
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    I can't wait til they get one down here in Ga. I used to be a Toyota guy but Honda won me over. If they do this right I'm getting out of my SI and into a Scion.
  • lackofdavelackofdave Member Posts: 37
    This little baby warrants its own board. so no one will have to use a search.

Anyway Does anyone else see some similar lines to the Audi TT on the tC? Especially from the side?

Also there are a ton of standard features on this puppy. For a company all about adding options there doesn't seem like much I'd want.

And whoever said they wanted 130 hp for better mileage needs to check what he's smoking.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    It's smarter to do it that way. Even if you alienate the "strippo" buyer, you still add value to the car for less out-the-door price. And it helps resale since they are all loaded.
    Anyone have any guesses as to when Toyota will release pricing info on the tC, given that this vehicle should be launching in June?

Also, any thoughts on whether this car will kill the Celica off for good? The tC has more torque, more innovative features (tilting rear seatback, panorama roof), more room, better styling inside and out (subjective, yes), and offers a supercharger. The Celica is waxing geriatric, and in light of the expectations for this car, overpriced. I want this kick-butt new Scion to steal sales from the overrated Acura RSX, but if so, it will likely be stealing sales from the stale-ish Celica as well.

~alpha
    re: price

I don't know if it's all that smart. This car will probably come in around $18k. I thought Scion was about the younger buyers. Can many of these younger buyers even afford $18k cars? Then you have a big percentage of them that are going to want the supercharger option which will bump the price even higher.

I think there would have been enough demand to have a non-sunroof, no 17-inch alloy wheel, etc. version. A lot of the kids want to change the wheels anyway but they already paid for nice 17-inch ones. Some don't care about a hole in the roof. These things are only pushing the price of the car higher.

Any word on where the car is being built? If it's in Japan then I can't see how the car will be under 18k, if it is it'll be just barely. And with Scion's no-haggle pricing like Saturn this is going to be an expensive car for a lot of younger people.

And don't forget the $500 SE regional fees that toyota dealers charge in the southeast US. This car is going to be out of my price range, I won't be looking at it. I can't imagine a lot of younger buyers, especially in this economy, that can afford $18k cars.
    All the info I've seen from supposed "insiders" (take this with a grain of salt) the car will be around 18k. Notice how Toyota only says it'll be under 20k. If by some miracle they can charge 17k or less for this car then they need to make a sedan version and they would sell like hotcakes. of course that would hurt Camry sales so I doubt we'll see that happen.

If the Celica goes away then this coupe won't be hurting other cars in the Toyota line-up except maybe the Solara. This car should help Toyota's image with younger buyers but I'm wondering how many can really afford the car if it really does turn out to be 18k or more.

Actually 18k is pretty good if you can haggle and knock it down a $1,000 and/or get rebates. I don't think this car is going to be made in high volumes (I think I read about 30,000 will be made a year) and include the no-haggle Scion pricing and being 18k or more is simply too high, at least for me.
This discussion has been closed.