Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Saturn L Series replacement

libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
edited March 2014 in Saturn
I hope this new L Series (hmmm, probably to be named a three letter word). Let me guess:
PEG
LEG
HAM
PAM
LOL

OK, OK, I GIVE UP. I hope it has a nice luxurious interior with lots of wood trim and a more qualitific (i love that faux word (word not wood)) shifter as the current one is pretty ugly. Hopefully still a wagon version available, maybe this time with a third row seat.

Comments

• libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    so I assume it will probably be delayed until a 2006 model.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I hope they keep the wagon model. (make it better than the Taurus, then the buyers will come)
    I hope they keep the L-Series name too. It just sticks out and makes people remember the name of the car, since we already have ION and VUE.
    what we really need is something unique. Something that can't be bought at the Chevy dealer down the road for less.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    The 2006 "Epsilon" Saturn can't get here fast enough!! I think it is supposed to get a real name. For 2000, 'LS' was the worst name! Was too close to 'SL'. People think it as just "a Saturn car" or a pricier S.

I am betting the plant will stop building the L(ame) sooner than 2005, with them piling up and no buyers.
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    I'm not too wild about a Saturn Maxx.
    I want something unique that won't be mixed up with the ION, VUE, Malibu, 9-3, Grand Am, and all those other GM midsize sedans out there. If Saturn does that and makes a wagon version of it, then I'll seriously look at it. Oh yeah- price it competitively with the Accord and Camry.
    yes, if they just put a Satunr badge on the Maibu Maxx, then forget it. No more cars like the Cimarron or Parisienne, with only a grille to distinguish them.
    WILL NOT WORK FOR ME. I WANT THE REAL THING. SATURN ENGINEERED AND DESIGNED. (I think the last car that had this was the original Saturn- everything after that were Opels or other GMs or will be other GMs)
    "..SATURN ENGINEERED AND DESIGNED..."

FYI, Saturn is NOT a separate car company, never was, never will be. The S series was a Saturn only car, but was it all that great??

Sure, some like to think that they are separate, just to please the anti GM/Big Business/ old school in them, but face reality. Saturn is and always was a division of GM. They can't possibly design, and make thier own cars and make $$$$.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    How about an Opel Signum or Opel Vectra wagon with a Saturn badge?
    I can live with that. As long as I can not get the same car down the road at the Chevy dealer for less $$$$$. Pretty nice car, too, I've heard.
    They actually tried to bring the Vectra over as the Saturn V (five), but too many modifications are needed to meet U.S. regulations.
    I didn't see any concepts.
    It was way too early in development to have a concept model.
    the NHTSA killed it that early in development?
    The next L-series will be called the "SIGNAL". Saturn's lineup will be completely changed over to Opels by MY 2008. By then, Opel's lineup will have redesigned cars, which Saturn will recieve. To avoid union issues, the cars will be designed and engineered by Opel but built here.

More info from BusinessWeek (a surprise source).
    did they chose the name SIGNAL?
    That's the name... for now. They could change it in the three years they have until production.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    To Union, I would also add euro dollar exchange and cost of labor in Belgium issues as well.
    do they have any suggestions? Any spy pics out there?
    are they staying or going?
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    according to what my father read due to cost and the fact that they can get tighter tolerances with steel. I'm not sure, but I think the article said this decision was only for the L-series replacement and not other Saturn models.
    Does anybody know what the name will be for the replacement for the L300?
    post 17
  • odmanodman Member Posts: 309
    Think of it, soon you will be able to go to your Saturn retailer and ask for a SIGNAL RELAY !!!
    is the name certain, or just an internal name used by Saturn? How does Saturn SIGNAL sound?
    does anybody have any pictures to post of the new Saturn SIGNAL?
  • RobberbarronRobberbarron Member Posts: 39
    How about the name Saturn Ring?
  • stormdavystormdavy Member Posts: 80
    Like it!
    like it.
  • sirlandsirland Member Posts: 16
    I think GM is going to put some good effort into replacing the current car. One way of looking at it would be the other cars that are on the same platform as this one will be. GM had done some good effort in those car. I think this car is going to either help redefine the Saturn line up or just go so far as the Ion. I do know one thing. It's length is going to be the same as the Malibu's
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    GM should have dropped the L class this year and just renamed all the Opel models. Signum looks about 100 times beter then the 'Bu. Vectra Wagon will be a great styling change from the dumpy L wagon.
  • bretaabretaa Member Posts: 130
    Joey2brix: I agree. This is in the works (Opels as Saturns in the future), but probably will not be reality until later in the decade.

- Bret
    they might not meet the US Safety and Emissions standards and might require some work.
    The UAW makes it almost impossible for GM to import volume cars.
  • bretaabretaa Member Posts: 130
    The Opels won't be imported. They'll be built here and badged as Saturns...

- Bret
    I know, I was replying to people who wanted to "bring" the Vectra here which would be almost impossible.
    would be to copy it with US parts, keep most of the interior, and build it in the states with a Saturn badge.
    any news on the Saturn L-Series replacement?
    Sales are so bad GM might pull the plug at the end of '04. The 3.0L engine plant in England is being shutdown this summer so the end of the L series is likely. This is bad news for Saturn: only ION and Vue models. I hope Opels are being rebadged as we speak.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I think its good news for Saturn. Not having the old and underwhelming L-Series (how many names did it have anyway??) around might make it easier for dealers to concentrate on selling the ION and VUE. In Saturn showrooms, the L-series is more of a distraction than anything else. If I remember correctly, the L 300 4 cyl. is Consumer Reports LOWEST ranked midsize vehicle. That cant help sales.

~alpha
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    Saturn Big1 2 and 3

or

Saturn Uranus
    Sounds good. Just bring the Opel over, remove Opel name and put on a Saturn label. The model names all sound good:
    Saturn Signum
    Saturn Vectra
    Saturn Astra

You need to keep the customer traffic up. The Olds display at the NYIS looked like a morgue. 2 cars? Why have a division with 2 cars?
    Oh, I forgot about Relay. But I think most of us will forget about the Relay.
    Um, what?

"The Olds display at the NYIS looked like a morgue. 2 cars? Why have a division with 2 cars?"

Did you meant to say "Saturn"?

If not, I hope this helps:

The Olds division is being phased out. Those vehicles at the auto-show were Cranberry in color, right? Those are the final cars being produced by Olds, some kind of special edition models, which officially ends production with the 2004 model year. The eventual phase-out method was done to mitigate long-term depreciation woes. A majority of the hit has already occured, as most people are aware of Olds' demise, and resale values, though still fairly poor, have actually improved slightly for the models that remain, the larger volume sellers for Olds, and therefore, the models that more people own, and will need to re-sell. (Obviously, this is an oversimplification, there are many factors as to why GM choose to phase out Olds instead of up-and-cancel a la DaimlerChyrsler and Plymouth, but depreciation, along with dealership and labor concerns, dictated the decision).

~alpha
    But as a display, it was pathetic to look at. I can see Saturn having just 2 models when it first started out, but hey it's over 10 yrs already. The writing on the wall for the L series was there from the 1st model yr. All the Opel talk should have started 2 years ago. GM even teases you with the Curve, that they say won't be built. Why bother when they already are building Buick, Pontiac and I'm sure Saab is next. They even seem upset that the Nomad didn't get great public attention. They're not happy unless they get 4 or 5 re-badges out each model. Is there really demand for 200K 2 seat rag tops?
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    both a hard and soft top vehicle.

The Nomad, for example, is a small four seater hatch. The Curve, which contrary to your assertion probably will be made in some form or another, is a hardtop with an admittedly small rear seat.

Straight rebadging Opels would not help Saturn. Opels are not designed to meet federal standards. It would be impossible to import Opels and profitably sell them in Saturn's price range.

The plan for Saturn and Opel is to design from the platform up a vehicle to be made and sold in Europe, North, and South America. Rushing something through to get product in will simply mean another possibly decent, but troubled vehicle as the L was.
    getting Opel's version ready for Saturn should be easy. Waiting for the next platform means another 2 or 3 yr wait min. Is GM gonna let Saturn continue to bleed? I don't think the Relay is the solution. The no haggle system doesn't work and maybe it's time for Saturn to move up the price ladder slightly if the future cheap line will be Daewoo based.
    Plymouth was down to the Neon and minivan, no real loss.
    Because where is Plymouth now? I don't think we want Saturn to suffer the same fate.
    The VUE is the cheapest AWD utility that one can buy with Honda's excellent 250 hp 3.5L V6.

Nicely equipped at $24,800, (includes side curtains), with rebates and financing available.

~alpha
This discussion has been closed.