Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Saturn L Series replacement

2»

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    why can't Saturn and Honda partner together to make one youth division? The upside is that Honda won't need another youth division- simply give the Fit and City Saturn badges. The problem is that owners of Saturn Fits will have to decide between trading up to A Chevrolet Cobalt, Saturn ION or a Honda Civic. Wonder which one they'll pick.... Hmmmmm....
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    I was wondering how accurate the intellichoice.com ownership cost figures are in the experience of actual L-series owners here ?

Over the first 5 years of ownership they estimate the maintenance cost to average $458/year and repairs $132/year.

I ask because their figures for my Oldsmobile Alero are pretty far off my own experience, so I wonder if this inaccuracy is endemic or just model or case specific.

I'd ask in an ACTUAL L-series forum but they're all now read only. Not great if you're interested in seeing reports from current owners of 2-4 year old vehicles (really nice info if you're buying used). I don't understand Edmunds' logic there.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Theres so little interest in this truly subpar vehicle that it doesnt really warrant an open discussion. Edmunds.com TH automatically archives discussion topics that have languished for a period of time. I dont think that the super rebates even justify the purchase of this car, there are just so many better cars on the market.

~alpha
    I disagree.

As far as the V6 L wagon is concerned, I think GM really had something here (a mid-priced wagon with decent handling and quite good hwy mileage) but GM "couldn't market scissors to a world trapped in a paper bag" and didn't spend the extra to make a really reliable product.

When I look at the altenatives (Subaru, Volvo, Saab, VW, Ford) they all either fail in terms of acceptable power, parts cost or mpg.
    The Legacy wagon, even the base 168hp H4, is a far superior product to the aged and umimpressive L-Series, as is the VW Passat 1.8T. Parts cost on the Legacy isnt high, but MPG is competitive with the L-Series, and the Legacy GT will trounce the L in acceleration, with the aforementioned base model not running far behind the L, whose V6 offers but 14 more hp. The other makes you mention dont really market midsize moderately priced wagons.

That said, the wagon market is a very small slice of the pie. In terms of sedans, name ONE SINGLE competitive advantage of the L-series, over say... Accord, Camry, Altima, 6, Malibu....

~alpha
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    We really need to focus on the L-series replacement due out for the 06 model year. If you want to compare vehicles, try the Wagons board for the wagon version, or the Sedans board. You can ask the host there to re-activate the L-series discussion, or post in one of the "help me choose" or "help me select" discussions. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Well it doesn't appear there's enough activity here to assess people's actual maintenance & repair costs, so I'll try saturnfans.com

Good luck with your cars,
    Rick D.
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    this info was found on the car and driver web site during the last few days.;
    >>>
    General Motors said it plans to invest $200 million to upgrade one of its Kansas plants, where a new Saturn mid-size car will be built to replace the slow-selling L Series, Reuters reported.

Saturn decided to end L Series production this summer, a year ahead of schedule, because the car has been a sales flop since it was launched in 1999.

The new Saturn car, which will be available as a 2007 model, will be built in GM's Fairfax manufacturing site in the latter half of 2006. The plant, which employs about 3,000 people, currently builds the Chevy Malibu and Malibu Maxx. <<<

I own the Maxx and had a chance to meet the Fairfax plant manager and staff - they appeared to be a hard working bunch that wants their cars to be good
    It's been a long time since I've seen one on the road. Maybe a year.
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    i just saw one today. but away from that, i'm not sure if i've ever seen one.

anyway, what do you think Saturn needs to do on their L-series replacement to get sales, and what would you personally want to see?
    Saturn needs to do:
    Better Reliability
    Better Quality
    Longer Warranty
    Better Engines
    Keep the No Haggle Retailers
    Improve on the ION, L-Series and VUE constantly
    Redesign the cars after five or six years on the market
    A price advantage at first (until Saturn can get a good reputation)

The Next Gen L-Series:
    3.6L V6 Engine on the top of the line model
    2.8L V6 Engine on other V6 models
    2.2 Ecotec 4 Cylinder tuned for more horsepower on the base model.
    Needs an impeccable interior
    Good road dynamics
    Options people want (such as leather interiors, side curtain airbags, Navigation Systems, etc)
    Keep the wagon version
    Improve the styling
    more comfortable seats, maybe heated and cooled.
    Backed by a warranty that's impressive. (4 years 50K miles bumper to bumper or 5 year 60K miles bumper to bumper)

I'm sure there's more I'd like to add, but I can't think of that right now.
    The pricing has to be competitive. I'm thinking $15,000 for a well equipped base model, $17,500 for a well equipped V6 model, and $22,500 for the loaded "sport" model with the high line V6 engine.
  • cherostar2cherostar2 Member Posts: 4
    Not that anyone will ever even see this - I just got on the board. This car is an Opel Vectra body, of the kind which was discontinued two years ago in Europe. I don't know where they are getting the parts for the few they assemble in Baltimore. The Vectra was on the bottom of the stack in customer satisfaction in Europe. Yes, there are bits inside which are different, but essentially the same, somewhat unreliable unit was foisted on us. The new Vectra is the platform the new Malibu and the Saab are built on.
    they use the same Epsilon (sp?) platform for the next L-Series?
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    New L-series is on Epsilon, ION is on Delta, VUE on Theta, Sky on Kappa, and big SUV on Lambda.
  • knutt38knutt38 Member Posts: 1
    I was looking at used cars and ran up on this Saturn dealer here offering this NEW 2005 L300 with about everything on it, $22K Dollars MSRP, for less than $19K, really $18,770 out the door. BUT I read about this is end of the L series and would like some input on owners of this 4 door sedan.
    And I'll bet you can get it for less than the $18,770 you quote for out the door. It shouldnt go for more than $18 grand, IMO, even including taxes and such.

~alpha
    Aren't Saturn dealers supposed to be No-Haggle?
  • passatownerpassatowner Member Posts: 16
    if they had dropped the price. I know I would have bought one if they priced it around $15k. They look nice enough, and my SL2 was very reliable, and cheap to fix once it hit that 8-year old, "I need repairs" mark. I don't think there would have been a need to discontinue the car, if it was priced less.
This discussion has been closed.