Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
This is the year the Highlander will be redesigned; it comes out in 2005 as a 2006 model. I hope it has a similar interior except with a lot more passenger and cargo room. Also, the styling needs to improve.

Comments

• highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    Anyone know if curtain air bags will be available in 2004 Highlander or do we have to wait until 2005 or 06? Is Toyota aware that not have this safety feature is costing them sales of this model?
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    about either question but I imagine you will have to wait until model year 2006 to get them.
  • highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    libertycat,

Economically it makes sense for Toyota not to offer curtain bags until 05/06. The lost sales probably are not enough concern to cover the installation and design into the current vehicle.

Another vehicle I am considering in addition to the Highlander is the new 2004 Tundra. I would expect this new truck to have all the air bags available to the Sequoia.

thanks again for your reply....
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    If you are considering Tundra, perhaps you might want to check out the Nissan Titan as well, which will definitely be available with side curtains. On paper, this looks like the truck to beat.

~alpha
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    "On paper, this looks like the truck to beat"

Key words there, "on paper". However, in person, it's so ugly I want to "beat" it with a stick! All domestic branded trucks (Chevy, GMC, Dodge, Ford (both 03 and 04)) and Toyota top the Titan in looks.

I could care less how much HP the Titan has because I could never live with something so ugly!
    The class-leading Dodge Ram has side airbags too.
    the Ram had full length side curtains, which is the side airbags setup that I was referring to.

From what I saw at NYIAS, I think the Titan is incredibly sharp and agressive looking, without overdoing it, a la Ram. Sorry i_luv_toyotas, the Tundra is still too small, still too nondescript, and still doesnt offer enough power with the 4.7L.

Anyway, back to the Highlander. Is Toyota going to wait until the redesign to drop the 3.3L V6 in?
    That would somewhat suck, as the HL is decently quick, but not up there with Pilot, Murano, and the torque rich Endeavor.

~alpha
    I would imagine they'll wait till then.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I think that they'd wait. It's another Camry platform car. All of the Camry based Toyotas seem like they're getting the 3.3. The Solara's getting it, the Sienna has it, the RX330 has it, and the only ones left that don't have the 3.3 are the ES300, Camry, and Highlander.
    says the 3.3L V6, likely the Solara's 225hp/240 lb. ft. version, will go into the ES300, making it the ES330, for the 2004 MY. Rumor also has it that the 3.3L will find its way into the Camry SE V6 model, while LE and XLE V6s will retain the 210hp 3.0L.

Nothing confirmed, but it would be nice were it true.

Where is the current HL made?

~alpha
  • little_pogilittle_pogi Member Posts: 149
    Have you heard that Toyota is going to release in late 2005 a hybrid ('06 model) version of the Highlander. It will have the same drivetrain as the Lexus RX400H (coming out this spring as a 05' model). Like its Lexus cousin, it will be a V6 with the power of a V8 engine and a significantly improved mileage rating. No pricing is still available at this time.

The Highlander is made at the same Kyushu plant that makes the Lexus RX330.
    I thought the RX330 is now made in Canada? I'm all confused.

~alpha
  • little_pogilittle_pogi Member Posts: 149
    The Canadian plant is still not yet rolling out Lexus vehicles. They originally scheduled the 1st Lexus car off the assembly line in September but news reports says that may have to be moved forward. Should the Canadian plant start making the RX330, the Kyushu plant will still supply most the the RX330 sold globally. There is also that big possibility that the next model Highlander will be made in Canada for the N. American market.
    That is correct. It will be a 2006 model.
    I read the Camry brochure. Doesn't the Camry only have 192 Horsepower from the V6? I read an article in USA Today about 2 years ago saying that toyota was going to make a Hybrid minivan, similar to the Estima in Japan. they said 2005, but that doesn't sound likely.
    The Camry brochure you were reading was outdated. All Camrys produced after Jan 02 have variable valve timing and produce 210hp at 5800RPM and 220lb ft at 4400RPM. It was a midyear upgrade.

~alpha
    OH. I got the brochure from the Toyota dealer in June. I just hope that the Highlander gets the 3.3.
    I apologize for an inaccurate statement- I meant all Camrys produced after Jan 03, NOT Jan 02.

~alpha
  • ajacat1ajacat1 Member Posts: 87
    Now I'm wondering whether we should wait to buy a new car until the toyota SUV, that they keep saying will have the hybrid technology and will debut soon, comes out (see the toyota.com/tomorrow site). I was just wondering whether it might end up being the highlander.

Wish it would be a minivan, but does anyone know any more about what toyota's planning on this?

thanks in advance
  • kmcmikmcmi Member Posts: 22
    According to what I have heard from Toyota the Highlander will get the 3.3 V6 and an optional 3rd row seat for 2004 model year. The 3.3 V6 is available in the 2004 Camry SE and the Solara. The dealerships have brochures on the '04 Camry and Solara but not yet on the Highlander. For the 3rd row the 4Runner will also get this option (making it seat 7) and there are brochures available to see pictures of how they do it there.
  • otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Curtain head air bags by any chance?? Anyone have pics of 2004 facelift?

Ralph
    Here's my theory according to how Toyota has placed the Sienna and the Highlander:
    1. Hybrid version for both
    2. 06 Sienna AWD will be cut
    3. Sienna still has that 5 Horsepower advantage
    4. Sienna XLE Limited gets cut.
    5. New Highlander trim levels: LE, SR5, XLE, XLE Limited
    Sienna trim levels: CE, LE, XLE, LE AWD, XLE AWD
    3rd seat optional on Highlander LE and SR5, no cost option on XLE and XLE Limited.
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    Toyota has released details on the 2004 Highlander, complete with pictures! See Toyota North American Pressroom: Highlander.
  • otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Looks exactly the same except for the thicker body-color horizontal grill bars?
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    That's one difference. Also the front bumper is a little less plain looking/they added some lines to it; and there is some kind of change to the rear bumper -- looks more pronounced somehow. They also added new optional wheel rims that have a more character.
    also include:
    DVD NAV
    DVD rear entertainment
    3rd row seat option
    FWD/V6 combo
  • rhgrurhgru Member Posts: 1
    vince- I cant figure out on the letstalk website how to get the directions for paring my samsung SGH-a437 with bluetooth. I am also having trouble keeping my phone connected on my new highlander- thanks for any help
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    The new crossover vehicle that I heard Toyota is going to lauch next year is going to be called the Toyota Ace.
  • rmanchirmanchi Member Posts: 13
    Hello everyone,
    The buzz is all about 2006 Hybrid Toyota Highlander. All of us may not be fortunate enough to make the allotment or may not simply afford the upfront cost. Whatever the case may be, it is worth discussing about this "future" "non-hybrid" model of Toyota Highlander. This discussion will initially talk about when the vehicle is going to be released, any pre-release news, delays, new colors, pricing, standard options and then move into Purchase Experiences and Dealer related discussions.

Thank you.
    Does anyone know if 2006 Non-Hybrid is going to have any more horses than the existing one (230hp). The hybrid is coming with 268hp but i think that is owing to the design of the new electric motor(s).

When can we except to see the non-hybrids trickling into the showrooms? Is there going to be a push back in that since the hybrids are probably getting ready on the same assembly line?

:confuse:
    This is IT....people. The news I was waiting for. I wanted to find out if 2006 model year non-hybrid will be a major revamp. It will not be. The major change will come in model year 2007 which will apply to the hybrid highlander for that model year.

According to Information Edmunds' has:

2007 Model Year Highlander

======================================================

What Edmunds.com Says: The Highlander will become even more humanized in its next version, borrowing plenty of cues from the FT-SX concept vehicle.

What We Know: Scheduled to appear in the fall of 2006, the next edition of the Highlander will ditch its utilitarian design for a shape closer to the FT-SX concept shown at the 2005 Detroit auto show. Although its will grow in most dimensions, the next Highlander will retain a manageable, easy to drive size. A larger V6 is expected with output in the 280 horsepower range. Like the current model, it will be offered in both front- and all-wheel drive, with a hybrid option virtually guaranteed. A hybrid version of the current Highlander is scheduled to go on sale this June, more than two years prior to the fully redesigned version of the vehicle.

=========================================================
  • charles12charles12 Member Posts: 79
    Hi All,

This dissucssion here is very useful.

I am planing to buy an SUV, and the highlander is on my list of first choice. However, it looks not as good as others. I noticed that the new 2006 Hybrid has a much better looking by just a little bit change on the rear body as well as in the front by adding an extra open space, which gives you the feeling that it is more stable than the 2005 model. I was wondering if the 2006 model of non-hybrid will have the same body appearance as the hybrid? Any one has any information?

The hybrid cost more than $7,000 than non-hybrid, which with $2.50/gal gas will take about 10 years to break even. Besides, you can buy a Lexus RX330 with the same amount of money. I was wondering again why people still buy hybrid instead of RX330 - a higher level car?

Thanks.

Charles
  • horns1976horns1976 Member Posts: 56
    Charles...I know someone who recently purchased a Lexus RX400h (hybrid) because it's the latest and greatest, gets better gas mileage, etc. This person never considered the RX330. The thinking was that the extra gas mileage will make up the extra cost of the hybrid. That is true but it will take years. Also, premium gas is recommended for the 400h. So, that means it will take even longer if you are comparing the 400h to a vehicle that does not require premium unleaded.

I too am interested in a non-hybrid Highlander. I don't drive enough to justify the hybrid. Any info. on the 2006 non-hybrid version will be greatly appreciated. I certainly hope it won't be an exact duplicate of the 2005.
    I checked with one of the local Toyota dealers. The salesman checked with Toyota corporate and was told that 2006 non-hybrid Highlanders should start arriving at dealerships in September. The salesman did not know if the body style would be changed from the 2005 Highlander. :confuse:
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    No expected changes for 2006 in terms of body style or equipment.

Hope this helps.

Ken
    Ken, that's disheartening. I really don't like the looks of the Highlander in its current incarnation. It was my understanding that the 2006 Highlander Hybrid is slightly restyled. Is this not the case???

If the 2006 non-hybrid is just a carryover of the 2005 Highlander, what's the incentive to pay extra for a 2006 over a 2005 other than a one-year newer vehicle?? Seems to me that you could buy a 2005 for a lot less than a 2006 and the savings would offset the depreciation???? :confuse:
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    I have not heard of ANY changes to the '06 model, although what is normal during the run of a particular body style is to give a different color option or two while deleting one or two and restyling the tail lights a bit.

That's honestly the way that I look at it myself, but some customers look at it the other way. Why would I pay X for the current year vs. X+Y is so close to that for a whole year newer vehicle. My own personal opinion from someone who keeps their vehicles for a while, is to purchase at the end of the model year and get the manufacturer programs when available. The difference in resale should be relatively close as you'll have a year older vehicle with low miles vs. year newer vehicle with higher miles and it all averages out in the long run.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • mbhrvmbhrv Member Posts: 2
    With the '06 Highlanders coming in September, does anyone have info if the August incentive will be better than the $800 currently being offered for the '05 in the northeast?

Many thanks in advance.
  • financierfinancier Member Posts: 2
    OK, I just don't get it, with the extra $10,000 or more in cost of the car, it would take me 15-20 years to make that up with the fuel savings to match the extra cost of the car. What am I missing or is no one concerned about the cost. Everyone seems to be concerned with the cost of the fuel but no one cares about the extra cost of the car. It would be one thing if it were just a $2-2500 diffrence. What am I missing?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    You might want to check out our Hybrid Vehicles board, since this particular discussion is about the non-hybrid Highlander.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tomzpritomzpri Member Posts: 33
    Alpha01,

The numbers you quoted are inaccurate.

Toyota just got caught, they have been inflating these HP numbers, by 20HP for the 3.0!!! The 3.0 actually only gets 190 HP.

Toyota, Honda inflated claims of engine muscle; new tests force automakers to come clean with buyers.

• tourguidetourguide Member Posts: 190
    This may really tweak the US consumers who love their horsepower above all else, but I personally could care less. Chrysler is now making noise about reducing their hp numbers to "improve fuel economy". Who else here thinks this is nothing more than getting caught in the same artifical inflation of numbers and then saying - "Yeah for us! We are doing this to 'help' the consumer! Look at us 'trying' to improve fuel effeciency!"?

They are all telling us a story in this regard. Why else would it say 13mpg around town on my former 04 Expedition, but then I actually GET in the single digits? At least with my highlander I am meeting EPA standards around town. If I would drive slower I am sure I'd get them on the highway too.
  • avoguyavoguy Member Posts: 11
    I've been waiting for months for the 2006 Highlander instead of buying a 2005 because I expected the 2006 would add the backup camera to the nav system and make satellite radio available. I read months ago that Toyota had reached a deal to provide satellite radio -- think it was with Sirius. I will be very disappointed if they don't make these additions for 2006 and will then probably rethink about buying a Murano which makes these available. That will be sad because I like many things about the Highlander -- including the local dealer.
  • canuckercanucker Member Posts: 19
    “The entry-level front-drive, four-cylinder Toyota Highlander has been dropped for 2006 and the remaining models have seen their stickers go up, which will raise the entry-level price for the four-by-four wagon by almost $5,000.

Until just recently (or maybe even still, if you look around), Toyota Canada dealers carried an FWD model with a $32,900.

With that model gone, the entry-level Highlander for 2006 is the 4WD V6 five-passenger model at $37,855, which is up from $36,900 in 2005. The seven-passenger 4WD V6 Highlander starts at $38,905, up from $37,950 in 2005”.

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/news,view.spy?artid=48368&pg=1
  • peterk9peterk9 Member Posts: 7
    I am in the process of taking delivery of my new 2006 Highlander Limited and have found that the price has increased by only $695 over that of my 2002 model. I do not think that is an unreasonable increase given that the new model has a slightly bigger engine (3.3 vs 3.0), a 5 speed transmission and a third row seat (that I really do not need) along with several other minor updates. The only thing that I'm disappointed with is that it does not come with the 10 spoke wheels like those on the hybrid. I think they look nicer than the 5 spoke wheels, but I think I'll get over it. :)

My salesman told me that the entry level FWD model was discontinued because of a lack of demand for it. He advised that only 50 or so of these sold across Canada last year. :(
  • gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    Per STEVE, Please re-name the forum - 2007 Toyota Highlander or Next Generation Toyota Highlander
  • mevandemevande Member Posts: 190
    I thought this forum was about ""2007 Toyota Highlander (non-hybrid) ", which looks radically (great!) different from 2006. People still seem intent on posting 2006 items. Will the moderator please change the name to ""Please re-name the forum - 2007 Toyota Highlander or Next Generation Toyota Highlander
    """' as one poster asked?

Thanks in advance!
  • ahujasuahujasu Member Posts: 15
    more pics of the ft-sx at toyotas website. Rumored to be the next highlander.

www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/ftsx.html