Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    Do you believe Toyota may reveal the new Highlander at the upcoming Autoshow in 2007.
  • joe540cijoe540ci Member Posts: 17
    no sign of any pictures
    For anyone wanting to talk about the future highlander this is the discussion group to bring it up in. If anyone finds any new info on the the future highlander bring it up in this new discussion group.
  • toyotagaltoyotagal Member Posts: 215
    I recently posted a message on the 2008 Highlander to another discussion but perhaps it is best posted here.

To date I have heard and/or read that the 2008 Highlander will be released early on or around April 2007. To me that seems really early and and a very short model year for the 2007s.

I have also read that the 2008 will be on an Avalon platform vs. a Camry platform. And it will be larger. In part to offset the enlarging of the RAV4 and some overlap.

But on the other hand I have also heard from a Toyota Dealer that the 2008s will be released at approximately the same time of year as the 2007s were released.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to the design or release of the 2008s?

Personally I am a little hesitant to get a 2007 until I see exactly what they are doing to the 2008 models.
    Remember in the past year's Toyota releases the new models in the spring for example the 2007 camry was released in spring 06. There are though no photos of what the new highlander will look like. But I have heard also that the new redesigned highlander will come out in spring 07 as an 08. They may reveal the new highlander at the north american auto shows coming this winter
    Yes, I remember that about the Camry. However, that said the 2007 Highlander just came out recently. It would seem strange if the model year for the 2007 were only 6 or 7 months, as many have alluded to.

I do plan to go the the International Auto Show here in a few weeks. Even if the 2008s are not there, they should have a reliable comment as to when they would be available for viewing etc.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    they release it in April 2007, won't that be kind of late? The current model will have run for well over five years by then. Plus, with the new Ford Edge and the new Pilot out there, you would think Toyota would hop to it. That's before you even TALK about the fact that the RAV4 is now eating the HIghlander's lunch, since the redesign. And the Santa Fe was just re-released with seven seats, and...

However, Toyota has alluded to slowing down all its upcoming model launches while it seeks to ensure that the QC is still there after a bunch of recalls recently. Perhaps that included the HL.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Toyota has delayed the launch of some redegin projects for example the corolla and matrix were due for a redesign in spring 07 but have delayed it I heard till spring 08. But Toyota did not say anything about delaying the highlander from what I still here should could come out in spring 07.

Technically the highlander should have been redesigned for the 2006 model year because Toyota redesigns models every 5 years approx. I really dont know why toyota is taking their time with the new highlander.
    Personally I would suspect that the 2008 Highlander will copy the 2007 Lexus to a significant degree. If so, I would still prefer the 2007 design with excellent rear visibility. And not sacrifice rear visibility for styling as so many new models of cars and CRVs do.
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    The Corolla was to have been launched in NOV 06, but was delayed after the new CIVIC launch. Something about styling changes.

I believe the Highlander may have been scheduled for JAN 07, but delayed when the new CAMRY automatic transmission issues surfaced. It's not unusual to have an April/May launch. The 07 model year is cut shourt while the 08 model year is extended.

BTW - My comments are based solely on my readings from Edmunds, a few Toyota owner sites, and other boards.
  • gjcfishgjcfish Member Posts: 2
    I understand TMV calculation, except for one small detail. Here in Central Florida, usually the Toyota dealers add around $695 for what I deem "fluff", i.e. paint guard, sealant, underbody coating, etc. This is posted on the window sticker and of course, included in the price. When Edmunds shows, for example, that the TMV of a RAV4 is about $1,000 under MSP, do they include or EXCLUDE such dealer additions. Please understand that I am NOT talking about destination fees which are pretty typical and non-negotiable. Thanks for any info. GJC
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Toyota has found that early spring releases are great for sales since well over 50% of the annual vehicle sales are made from March through August. These are 6 of the 7 biggest selling months. It's when the buyers are out looking. It also separates the launch from all the other vehicles being revised and launched around Labor Day, the traditional 'birthday'.

The new Highlander is the Rx350 sibling, but the Rx always gets first attention. Want to drive a Limited Highlander now? Go to a Lexus store and test the new Rx350.

The benefit of getting a 2007 is that you can get a killer deal now on it whereas the deals on a 2008 will be few and far between for some time.
    If Toyota has "found that early spring releases" are great why release the 2007 Highlander in the Fall?

I am in favor of "Killer Deals" but those are on the 2006s now not the 2007s now. But if, as many are saying, the model year for the 2007s will only go 7 months or so.............there could concievably be some "KILLER DEALS" on 2007s in the not too distant future.

My latest plan is to pick up a 2007 in the dead of winter on the coldest, rainiest, darkest day at the end of the month..............

They will probably pay me to take a 2007 Highlander off their hands...................ROFLOL
    As I understand it, the 2007 Highlander is on a Camry platform. While the 2008 Highlander will be on the Avalon platform.

With the Camry being updated for 2007, I wonder if the 2007 Highlander is on the updated new 2007 Camry platform. Or is the Camry 2007 platform really different or the same as the 2006 Camry.
    like this year's Camry the new Highlander on the new frame will be an early 2008 release meaning the 2007 will be a 'shortie'.
    The new 2007 Camry was tweaked very marginally from the 2002-2006 frame.

The Avalon frame, 2008 Highlander, is different. The Highlander had to be different since the Pilot, on the Odyssey frame, was much bigger. The Highlander suffered in comparison often with the larger Pilot.

The RAV, on its own frame, supports this move to a larger Highlander by now offering the more compact but still sizable crossover vehicle. It also eliminates the need for a 4c Highlander, which wasn't a big seller anyway.
    I have test driven both the 07 Pilot and Highlander. And to me the Highlander rides better on the car platform than the Pilot does on the Ridgeline platform. JMO

I most of our driving is around town as ours is the Highlander wins hands down.
    My wife and I agree with your assessment. We thought the Pilot a) to big; b) to noisey (engine and road noise); and c) to pricey. The Honda people wanted a lot and weren't giving much on trade-in. Our Highlander was just right and the delaership has been great to work with during and after the sale.
    I was at a local Toyota dealership which they were having rebates on 07 and remaining 06 highlanders. The salesperson said Toyota is doing this because the new redesiged highlander is supposed to come out in spring 07.

Of course there is still no photos of what the redesigned highlander will look like. Hopefully photos of the 08 highlander come out soon.
    Are you driving a 2007 Highlander, gasman1?

If so how do you like it?
    It's a 2006 2WD V6 with 3rd row. They came out with the non-3rd row after we purchased in March. To us, the 3rd row is a waste. We could've used it 15 years ago when the kids were small.

We really like the HL. We went on a 2,600 mile trip this summer with another couple and it did very well. I don't recall teh exact MPG, buty it just missed the EPA ratings. We normally get 25/26 MPG hoghway, but that trip had four adults and gear.
    Thanks for the info., gasman. We would like to get one with only 2 seats,as well,what with out kids gone.

Speaking of MPG with 4 adults and gear I just saw something on the news the other day that was hillarious regarding mpg.

They noted that if "a" person were to lose 100 lbs they would save $40 per year on gasoline due to the extra weight the car was carrying. This just came to mind as you mentioned carrying 4 adults and gear.

P.S. I wonder how many people went on a diet to get better Mpg with their wheels................LOL
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That was pretty funny.

Want better gas mileage? Lose some weight

I found it easier to take out one row of seats. :blush:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    if "a" person were to lose 100 lbs they would save $40 per year on gasoline

Something is clearly wrong with that statement. If the average American male weighs 190 pounds and loses 100 pounds the fuel saving would be total. He would likely be in a terminal state unable to drive at all.

tidester, host
    Nothing "clearly wrong" with this statement, Tidester, IMO.

There was nothing said about "average male". What about a 290 lb. male or female for that matter. Or even leaving the 190 lb male you mention at home............(smile)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    What about a 290 lb. male or female for that matter.

And don't forget the 130 pound male or female! Let's see ... 130 ... take away ... 100 ... ;)

tidester, host
    >>And don't forget the 130 pound male or female! Let's see ... 130 ... take away ... 100 ...<<

With that scenerio you save even more in gas since (if the driver) the vehicle sits in the garage...........<G>
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    Toyota's cars seem to be on a 5-year schedule. The Camry, for example, was redesigned for the 2002 model year. The 2005 was the mid-cycle refresh and then a new model in 2007.

Toyota's trucks and SUVs are on longer cycles. Take the 4Runner as an example. The 3rd generation lasted from 1996 to 2002, a total of 7 years. The first generation RAV4 also lasted 7 model years (OTOH, the 2nd generation RAV4 only went 5 years, possibly due to the intense competition in the small SUV market). The Sequoia was introduced in 2001 and is going into its 7th year as a 2007 model.

So I don't think the Highlander's cycle is anything unusual for Toyota. The whole mid-year intro is also not that surprising given previous mid-year intros for the '04 RX330, '07 RX350, and the '07 Camry. The fact that there is an '07 Highlander probably means that we are looking at a spring intro, rather than a January or February launch.
    When will we see pictures of the next generation highlander?
    I will be at the International Auto Show here on 11/11. I will see if any thing shakes out. Or if the reps will disclose any new information.
  • jbroadyjbroady Member Posts: 2
    I am truly in love with the 2007 Highlander Hybrid and am in the market to buy. Should I take the plunge and know I am buying the current model at its pinnacle, or should I wait to see what Toyota has up its sleeves for 2008?

I really like the size of the current model and really don't want something bigger. I heard they are increasing the size of the 2008... is that true?

Also, I really love a traditional SUV. I wonder if the new version is going to be more curvy and modern?

What would you do????
    the first-gen RAV4 was only five years, '96-'00, wasn't it?

Since these models are car-based, Highlander included, and since the underpinnings are being update every five years for the car models (Corolla, Camry, now Avalon for the future Highlander), it should be much easier to update them at regular 5-year intervals than it is to update the truck-based models like 4Runner and Sequoia, which certainly do run longer as you have noted (as do the pick-up trucks they are based on, oftentimes).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I am in the same boat,i.e. wondering what the 2008 will be like and exactly when will it be released. I like you prefer the size of the current model.

My take for whatever it is worth that the new Highlander will be bigger and along the styling lines of the 2007 Lexus RX 350.

"Round" is coming in while "Boxy" is going out. Personally I prefer "boxy" to "round". And it is my belief that rear vision is superior in the more boxy models.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    I share you dilemma. I'm inclined to wait, though, mostly because I'm interested in the 4cyl model or 4cyl hybrid (if offered next year). The current 4 comes with a 4-speed transmission, a no-go for me. Also, it looks like the current audio system needs updating, i.e., mp3, bluetooth, homelink, etc.

I agree with you about the risk of new models. Lately, new has come to mean form over function.
    I think you will not be able to get a 4c ICE in the new Highlander. That's the function now of the RAV. I hope, but I think not, that the next hybrid would be the 2.4L + HSD. It would get great fuel economy and could be priced lower. Since Lexus controls this model though I think that it will be one of the V6's + HSD in the next Gen HH.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Hmm, based on your other posts, you seem to know what you're talking about. I hope you're wrong, though. What's "HSD"?

It's hard to reconcile our need for greater fuel economy with the seeming necessity for each new car model to offer a larger, more powerful engine.

My wife bought a hybrid Camry earlier this month. While hardly a rocket, it has surprising power. The same system would likely provide adequate power in the Highlander.
    it's time for the Highlander and the RX350 to diverge. That will be better for the HL and for Lexus in the long run. And the Camry's hybrid powertrain would be perfect for the next-gen Highlander. People are looking to Toyota to have fuel-frugal hybrids, not race car models. "Race car" is what Honda did with the Accord hybrid, and just look how well sales have gone for them with that formula...it's about to be discontinued.

HSD is hybrid synergy drive, Toyota's trademark name for its hybrid propulsion system.

The next HL will be a lot bigger than the current model, I am sure. And maybe when it debuts Toyota will finally join the 21st century and make the 4-cylinder RAV's transmission a 5-speed.

I agree wholeheartedly. Highlanders intended for the Toyota buyer should be more efficiency-driven than performance-driven. The problem I see is one of production. It's easier to produce them all one way than with variations.

That being said, with the computer-controlled flexible manufacturing lines that can make completely different vehicles one after the other it should not be an enormously difficult task to program.

Here's a question to consider though. What if.. Toyota is completely satisfied with current level of hybrid penetration in the Highlander line? What if.. they went to a 2.4L +HSD system causing demand to explode making it difficult to supply components for the Prius and TCH and Lexus models?
    Well, I don't see your question as Highlander-specific. I mean, Toyota has to either commit to its HSD and make enough to meet demand, or back off its hybrid commitments, and possibly tarnish the "green" image.

However, even if they can't afford or aren't able to make enough of the hybrids, making the product desirable (as a 2.4L HSD Highlander would be, I'm sure) is preferable to letting it languish. Right now Prius is still moving smartly off the lots, with little to no time in inventory. Meanwhile, dealer lots are literally FLOODED with these $40K Highlander hybrids that nobody wants. Regardless of how constricted hybrid supply might be, it is better to produce the 2.4L HSD Highlander and have 6-month waiting lists than to have 100 days's supply of a V-6 HSD Highlander and have to offer cash rebates and do special advertising just to clear the lots.

• qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    I did a bit more digging and we're both partially correct: the first-gen RAV4 was introduced in the U.S. in 1996. It was based on the Japan-market RAV4 that was introduced in Japan in 1994.

I see your point, but I still don't think the 7-year run for the Highlander is out of the ordinary for a vehicle that is still farily competitive and had a "new" hybrid model introduced as an '06 model.
    weeeellllll, still competitive? The model it is most competitive with is the RAV4, and I would say the HL loses that competition badly, except maybe for nicer interior materials. With all the other models out there, it is a tweener. Not as big as models like the Pilot with which I think it was originally intended to compete, and not as small as models like CRV and Escape, the volume leaders on the next rung down the ladder. The 4-cylinder has been an anachronism in this market for most of its life, the hybrid has been quite unpopular, and the V-6 has less power than the RAV4's V-6, which model costs less and makes better mileage.

As a result, it has been outdated for some time now, whereas if it had been updated at the normal 5-year interval, we would already be in year two of a total redesign, and it would be keeping up with the joneses.

I imagine the next model is going to be pretty pricey, given the prices of the new RAV4. With Avalon starting at $26K or so, I think there won't be many 2008 Highlanders going out the door for under $30K. :-(

Of course, I read somewhere recently that the average transaction price for a new car is now up to $29K, so it's right there midpack.

The Highlander is outdated because it's based on the original '99 Rx300. It's not even on the 2002 Camry frame. It still has the 'tweaked' version of the 3.0L ( 3.3L ). However it has like the Rx served to create the entire Crossover segment. See today's Inside Line where Ford finally - after 8 years - has a comptitive vehicle.

The Pilot followed the Rx/Highlander as Honda's crossover entry. It always had to be a larger vehicle in that it has to serve 'double duty' of sorts. Being on the Odyssey frame itself it is a 'tweener in the middle of the 4Runner and the Highlander since Honda doesn't have a truck-based midsized SUV. Using the 4Runner, the Highlander and the RAV individually Toyota is able to segment the market more precisely and overall sell to a wider audience. In this midsized segment Honda has only one entry now that they declined to bring the CRV up to the RAV's capabilities.

I believe that the new base Highlander will probably end up being about $28000...which is where the 2WD V6 presently is ( before rebates ). But for that $28000 it will have new styling, more room, at least 7 airbags standard, the current STAR safety system, the new 266 hp 3.5L V6, better FE, MP3/WMA and possibly BT w/ 440 watt JBL 6-disc either standard or as the first option. But most I agree will be in excess of $30000. I would love to see the new HH begin at $29500 using the 2.4L +HSD with the same features but getting 32-35 mpg vs 24-28 mpg for the 3.5L version.
    >>it's time for the Highlander and the RX350 to diverge....
    The next HL will be a lot bigger than the current model, I am sure<<

I keep hearing this "lot bigger" story from many posters for the 2008 Highlander. That said, why would it be a "lot bigger"? The Lexus RX 350 is "almost" the same size as the 2007 Highlander. With the Highlander at 184.6" length while the RX is at 186.2" And the width for the HL is 71.9" vs. 72.6" for the RX.

Seems to me, off the top of my head, like the 2007 Highlander and the 2007 Lexus RX 350 are "almost" twins, size wise.
    "That said, why would it be a "lot bigger"?"

1. Because it would be suicide for Toyota to continue to have only the 4Runner, a gas-guzzling truck-based model that reminds you of that fact when you drive it, as their mid-large-size 3-row SUV. They need a model this size with car dynamics and at least 1/3 better fuel economy.

2. Not only that, the RAV4 is virtually the same size now, give or take a few inches of width, so they will hurt each other for sales if this situation is allowed to continue very long.

3. And finally, the 3rd row in the HL now is a puny little (bad) joke, and third rows are where a lot of the action is at in this segment. They need to stretch this sucker a lot (which they should be easily able to do given they have announced the new model will ride on the long long Avalon platform) to get that third row into the prime time.

kdhspyder: "I believe that the new base Highlander will probably end up being about $28000".
    My guess? $28,995, or about $2500 more than the base Avalon with which it will probably share EVERYTHING under the skin. Which means base price for a 4WD Highlander will blow past the $30K mark, I guess. As will the hybrid. I hope they use the Camry's hybrid powertrain in the new HL. I sure do hope. I figure it should be able to achieve more than 35 mpg combined, very good for a car the size of the new HL.

I recall reading several articles that toted the '01 HL as having the '02 Camry frame before the '02 Camry was introduced. Is my recollection in error or were the articles wrong?

Never the less, the '08 HL is rumored to be based on the Avalon frame which means it will most certainly be a larger vehicle.
    So you are holding by your guns,nippononly? And the 2008 Highlander will be "a lot bigger".

Somehow that loses me since the RX350, which it will be purportedly modeled after, is viturally the same size as the current 2007 Highlander. JMO but I think it will be a "little larger". I just can't see it putting the RX350 to shame...............IMHO they will go for updated styling and slightly larger.

Only time will tell.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    The next HL will probably resemble a tall wagon. Interior space will be larger than the current HL (by quite a bit). Styling will be much improved (a little fancier). It will be more car-like (if that's possible). Other than mechanics, it will have nothing in common with the RX or the RAV (it's going in a different direction). Don't hold me to any of this speculative info. Just having a little fun predicting.
    Well, it will depend on whether or not these reports are true that the new Highlander is moving to the Avalon platform. Because the RX350 ISN'T on the Avalon platform, to my knowledge. The RX's place is further down the size spectrum, to be better suited to the Lexus over-60s/empty-nester buyers. They don't need a third row.

So I guess I AM "holding to my guns"! ;-)

By all means "hold to your guns", nippononly.

Life would be boring if we all had the same vision of the 2008 Highlander.

For some reason, I could just not envision Toyota using RX 350 styling and making that much bigger and roomier than the Lexus 350.

Time will tell. You may be right, a big fat Toyota RX 350.................

We will probably be able to haul 10 people in that sucker.................
    the existing RX350 really IS a Toyota...

;-)

I assume seven people will fit comfortably in the '08 Highlander.