Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    The plood (plastic wood) in the '08 has a "satin" finish. It's not glossy like plood usually is (which was the case with the previous Limited).

Although I prefer the fake wood trim versus the fake aluminum trim that's becoming more common, I'm definitely not a wood expert. I've sat in some cars with supposedly real wood trim and thought the wood looked really fake.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    My Audi has real wood (they call it Bird eye maple, I think): it has a nice, darker deep grain, with a glossy lacquer. It doesn't stand out, rather it adds to the character of the interior

My wife and I were horrified at the wood in the Limited: it is too bright and too obvious. There's something about the gloss (or lack of, maybe) that makes it look fake. And the color seems to be a bit off.

Maybe it's because there's so much of it in the car. Personally, if the wood isn't real, why bother making a plastic that looks like it? There are so many designs you can do with plastics these days, especially with film-insert molding, I don't see the reason to emulate wood.
  • jrm9703jrm9703 Member Posts: 4
    it appears that there are reported TSBs for 08 Highlanders. too soon? I bought my 2008 Highlander last month so I'm a bit concerned.
  • hightechguruhightechguru Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know who manufactures the rear factory DVD player for Toyota?
    Does anyone know the hack to change the DVD player to allow all region playing?
  • cmptrguy74cmptrguy74 Member Posts: 21
    To me (and yes - I guess I'm bias because I've already ordered by Midnight Grey Metallic Ltd) the 08 Ltd has about the same wood trim look as the current Lexus RX 350's w/gray interior... I like the look of them both.

I did, however, like the look of the Sport w/Black interior. The consistent dash (black-on-black) and silver accents really blended quite well. Unfortunately, with little ones & hot summer days, Black interior is not an option for us. Plus, like others have said, I wanted the Smart Key, Puddle lamps, Power Passenger Seat (which, if I remember correctly, was only an option on Ltd), & Chrome Handle & Foot/Step plate accents.

Given the number of complaints (even from numerous professional reviews), there must be something I'm missing. Sat in plenty (haven't received mine yet though) and just can't see the big deal with this wood trim.

Quick question for those who've read this far in message, is it true that there's some type of Blue LED (like Lexus RX models) that brightens the cup holders of Ltd at night - with warm bluish light/tint? Have never sat in one at night to see, but I do see the location of the LED near pop-down mirror overhead...
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    TSBs can be nothing ( hot to prep the car for delivery ) or serious ( how to reflash the ECU for the tranny ). Every vehicle has hundreds of TSBs. Sometimes the TSB will cover the entire product line from Yaris' to Land Cruisers. Not to worry.

A TSB is only a direction from the mothership to the satellite facilities on how to do something technically to the vehicle.
  • shimmer11shimmer11 Member Posts: 28
    Where did you find the TSB jrm9703? I would like to know what is covered.

Thanks,

Andy
    Thanks

I Googled for 08 Highlander TSB and here's one of the links that came up:

http://www.mycarstats.com/safetystation.asp
    That seems to be a blank site...register and fill in your inquiry
    please try it again. if it doesn't work, try this:

http://www.mycarstats.com/safetystation.asp
  • gdkogergdkoger Member Posts: 23
    According to the website, when you choose 08, Toyota Highlander, there are none...">
    there are 0 complaints, recalls and investigations. but there are 5 bulletins.
  • fptgfptg Member Posts: 10
    Those bulletins are mostly pre-delivery items. The only one that "seems serious" is the ECU flashing. That is just reprogramming the ECU with (hopefully) better software.

:shades:
    Here are the 5 bulletins from the US Govt's database on TSBs.
    1) Activating the TPMS
    2) Reflashing an ECU
    3) Installing a pin during PDS
    4) Calibrating the Compass during PDS
    5) Installing the front license plate bracket during PDS

Link: NHTSA database on TSBs
  • skinnytonyskinnytony Member Posts: 121
    I'm looking at the Highlander and a 5 yr old and 3 yr old will be frequent passengers. Anyone have experience with child seat installation in the new Highlander and if so what were your impressions? Was the Latch system convenient? The 5 yr old is in a booster with a back so that's easy but the 3 yr old is still in a forward facing toddler seat. Would appreciate thoughts and comments on this. Thanks.
  • 4tune814tune81 Member Posts: 5
    As I look at potential options for a 2008 HL Sport, I'm curious about the "TO" option -- Towing Prep. Package.
    This is described as "includes upgraded radiator, transmission oil cooler with water cooler, 150-amp alternator and trailer pre-wiring, 5000-lb. towing capacity, engine oil cooler, 200-watt fan coupling and power steering oil cooler." I don't plan on towing a boat or anything else, but was wondering if it might be worth it to have these upgrades for the couple of hundred bucks. Or, on the other hand, is it just wasting money if I'm not going to put the added strain on the system? Any opinions?
  • denverbriandenverbrian Member Posts: 61
    I'm awaiting word from my local hitch guy when he gets in a hitch for my '08 HL Sport. I too was flabbergasted that Toyota would include a tow prep package without the hitch.

My dealer was all apoplectic about me wanting to install a hitch on the HL's unibody frame and made lots of noises about needing to remove the bumper cover, etc. - and quoted me $650 to install. My local hitch guy called BS on that and quoted $216 installed.

The nicest looking hitch I've seen for the HL is on eBay - Hidden Hitch. It appears to include a step above the receiver and is round tube.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Yes it is. I suggest the next time you're at Home Depot or Lowe's swing by the stains and lacquer section and see the wood samples. You'll see what I mean. Look for the "satin" finishes on the wood chips.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • alexd4alexd4 Member Posts: 3
    About comparison Limited vs. Sport.
    I also first considered Sport, but after careful comparison we have: difference in invoice is $2447 only.
    If you put leather ($1472), cold weather ($48), antitheft ($176),auto front AC ($300), all standart in Limited, difference is only $497!
    And it includes: smart entry, 2 more way to control driver seat, power passenger seat, wheel climate control, autodimming mirror w/compass (>$200), Homelink ($100).
    Not expensive at all, so now waiting for the car ordered from Japan factory.
    While you might put a satin finish on wood for a table or trim in your home, cars have traditionally had high gloss or piano style fake wood trim, at least in recent years. That's why the '08 trim looks so bad - it's too dull a finish. And too yellow/orange.
    For an ORDERED car, your figures sound right. For cars IN STOCK, almost every Limited is showing up with DVD entertainment system in the back - another $4K or so if I remember correctly.

So if you can be patient and wait 8 weeks or so, you're right - you can get a Limited ordered as you like for just a bit more than a Sport. For me, losing HomeLink and the auto-dimming mirror and the frilly little "puddle lamps" (even the name sounds wimpy!) was a small sacrifice for the slightly better handling of the Sport - and not having to look at the hideous fake wood every day. They had a great Sport in the color I wanted (did I mention the Cypress Green is awesome?)...so I snagged it.

I've never had SmartKey so am not missing it. I'm sure once I have it I'll never want to go back...kind of like my affair with nav.
    I've noticed that some manufacturers are going with the satin finish for their real wood trim. The Inifniti G35's rosewood trim is not glossy at all (and almost looks like the Highlander's plood, except maybe a little more brown/red).

I rode in a very nice Lexus LS460 today with a black interior and it made me remember the Highlander Limited I saw with a black leather interior. I'm beginning to consider black.

Only problem is I'm not sure which exterior colors are available with the black interior (the one I saw was silver, and I don't want that). I've been considering Magnetic Gray, Waveline, and Cypress.
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    Did you see a black leather interior or was it cloth? I think you said is was a Limited is that correct?
    The dealer I am working with on the East Cost say that the limited does not come with a black leather interior. Of course that is what I want.

Personnaly I think the plood is not good but that is the least of what will color my decision.

So I will wait.
  • gdkogergdkoger Member Posts: 23
    Is anybody waiting on an Ordered Limited? I was told 4-6 weeks for delivery. I was also told, that we were waiting on a build date, and it would take 4 weeks, once we received that. It will be 3 weeks on Monday, and no word yet. Is anybody else in the same boat, or have heard something else?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    It somewhat appears that the earlier RXes and HLs needed the extra cooling capacity of the towing package in order to extend the working life of the trnasaxle. So, yes, given that the '08 HL is even larger and heavier than the previous models I would go for the extra tranny cooling.
    It may very well be that the new HL, being larger and heavier than previous models, needs the extra ATF cooling provided by the towing package in order to extend the working life of the transaxle......

"My dealer was all apoplectric...."

Your dealer may know something that has to be kept SUPER-SECRET... as in the tranny NEEDS/REQUIRES the extra cooling of the towing kit even for NORMAL use and actual towing might result in premature failures of the transaxle.
  • skinnytonyskinnytony Member Posts: 121
    Re the DVD system being "another $4K or so" the actual MSRP of package EY is $1,780 but it also requires package SR which is the moonroof for $850. So the total is $2,630.
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    Interesting enough that Maintenance schedule requires change rear differential and transfer case oil every 15K and transmission fluid every 60K if towing. It doesn't say to replace any of this if never tow. Am I missing something?
    > Did you see a black leather interior or was it cloth? I think you said is was a Limited is that correct?

It was a black leather interior on a silver Limited. It also suprirsed me too, as I thought the black interior was strictly for the Sport. I'm in Hawaii, which falls under a different distributor that orders directly with Japan (not under Toyota USA).
  • bsmestadbsmestad Member Posts: 9
    child seat installation is nice and easy. Latch works well. I actually have a rear facing infant seat, and a forward facing toddler seat in the 2nd row, and a booster in the third row. Installation for the 2nd row stuff is cake. The third row installations are made a lot easier if you take out the middle of the 2nd seat, which is a nice feature toyota has. Makes it easier for the kids to get in and out of also since folding up and moving forward the the 2nd row seats isn't an option.

I don't know if your worried about front seat space with child seats behind you, but I'm tall, and need my seat all the way back and reclined about 20%. The only two crossover type SUVs that I found that gave me enough front seat room to put them all the way back with child seats were the Acura MDX and the Toyota Highlander. Everything else didn't have enough 2nd row room.
  • budrewbudrew Member Posts: 16
    Good information on the child seats.

Do Highlander owners get used to the steering? I felt like I was steering a tugboat through whip cream. Totally unresponsive road feel. It was disconcerting.
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    Got used to it after 3 days of driving. Toyota switched to electric steering assist to save gas.
  • canuck17canuck17 Member Posts: 28
    From Winnipeg Canada and I purchased a Black Highlander Ltd with black interior, fully loaded except for navigation system. The fake wood contrasts nicely with the black interior in my opinion.
    Well, I have no plans to tow. I want a receiver hitch only for the purpose of adding a bike rack on the back. If the Highlander can't handle 100 extra pounds of bikes and racks on the back, then the tranny is significantly under-engineered; and Toyota simply doesn't do that. Other stupid things (like leaving the receiver hitch out of the "tow prep Package"), they do; under-engineering the drivetrain, not so much.
  • microbustmicrobust Member Posts: 56
    Bsmestad,

Thanks for the child seat info. With the rear facing child seat and the toddler seat in the second row, how do you get to the third row? Can children as well as adults get past the seats in the second row to go through the pass through--I'm assuming that's what you do.

Thanks
    "..significantly under-engineered; and Toyota simply doesn't do that."

Try telling that to the many '99 RX300 owners with prematurely failed transaxles or all the owners with sludged up engines prior to the '02 model year.

Or maybe those of us with '01 AWD RX300 who are seeing our ATF blackened and burned at only 40,000 miles and in response the flush and fill interval revised from infinitely to 15,000 miles.
  • dtowndtown Member Posts: 20
    Im not sure about the 08 Highlander, but when I purchased my 2007 Rav 4, I got one with the " Tow Package" as well. On the sticker, it claimed to be "Pre-wired", and thats not exactly true. I expected wiring to be at the back of the car, but its not. You have to buy a wiring harness and run it from the front of the car because of the L E D tailights and the different voltages. Fortunatly, I raised enough fuss, the dealer installed the wiring for me for free, but only after I threatened him with the Toyota customer survey.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Holding the customer survey over the dealer got you results?

I wish I had know that. I'm about to have to pay for mine to get the harness installed. Why is it that you get free wiring and I have to pay. Toyota sucks on this.

Toyota needs to get it's act together on this. It's been going on for years and I'm sure the dealers are cleaning up though.
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    I know our friends to the north can get the black leather on a limited by we here in the states are not able go figure. Well free enterprise at it's best?

I'll wait till dealer stock goes up and I can complain more.

I happened to see my first 08 on the street, actually a parking lot, today.

Even though I have test driven the sport and limited I am not totally sold, especially after seeing the IIHS tests. Maybe it is not as safe as people think.
  • moistymoisty Member Posts: 8
    Living in Las Vegas where the average temperatures are in the 100's I'd opt for the extra tranny cooling and the bigger radiator.
  • 4rider4rider Member Posts: 96
    Can any one elaborate on what exactly does the 4-way adjustable headrest on the Sport or Limited do? I think the SR5 has only 2-way adjustable headrest. thx
  • garyandersgaryanders Member Posts: 39
    Yes, I have my dealer looking for a blizzard pearl 08 limited. Seem to be very scare, it has been approx 4 weeks now. He never told me that he could order one since they are made in Japan. Just that he had to send out a request to get a limited with features that I want. Toyota is building a plant in Mississippi to build Highlanders but will not be on line until 09 or 10, which does us no good in today's market. Maybe another 4 weeks until I get what I want, just don't know at this point. Good luck in getting your Highlander. Gary
  • outsidegurloutsidegurl Member Posts: 6
    Hi all, I am in the market for a new vehicle this fall as my only mode of transportation is a Jeep Wrangler, and I don't want it to be exposed to Michigan winters. Anyway, I first thought I was going to replace my leased Ford F 150 truck (I loved it except the mileage and parking ability), with another one due to my style of living (hauling dirt bikes, motorcycles, mountain bikes, etc.). So my boyfriend and I ventured to our local Toyota dealer to drive the Tacoma and Tundra. I soooo love that little Tacoma! When I saw the SUVs on the lot, I thought I should consider them as well. Much to my chagrin, I ruled out the FJ Cruiser... it's sooo cool...because it's probably too close to the "functionality" of my Jeep. The RAV4 is adorable to me, but small, and when I saw the HL, I thought, wow, this is really nice looking. So, we ended up taking the '08 HL for a drive. I was really impressed, but then again, I'm used to my 2000 Wrangler bouncin' about. So, I started pricing things with options, and was dumbfounded to see that people in my area are paying above MSRP! :cry: I really cringe at this as I always try to make sure I'm getting the best deal for myself. I sort of had my heart set on following through with the HL, but the wind dropped out of my sails when I saw the price. I checked a few other dealers and it showed the same thing....people paying above MSRP. I see that most of you are paying invoice or slightly above. Is my situation unique? Any information you could give me on this vehicle would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! :D
  • jathreyajathreya Member Posts: 4
    It's been 6 weeks since I placed a deposit for a Limited with Salsa Red/Magnetic Grey/Black exterior and 4WD, NAV, DVD Entertainment and Rear A/C. Gone through two allocation rounds so far and no luck thus far. Dreading having to do a factory order (6-8 months, I'm told). :cry:
  • philip8philip8 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for give all infor...about this issue.I have just get one highlander 08 base,but with the extra pay for pre-towingparkage..samed as you without hitch..??My question is how can do with Toyota,when We pay for the thing We can not use??
  • mmccloskeymmccloskey Member Posts: 168
    Greetings:

I have a 2007 Highlander Hybrid with the 4-way adjustable headrests. They allow for height adjustment as well as fore and aft (front & back) tilt. You just pull on the lower portion of the headrest to tilt it forward and push to move it back - they adjust about 2" forward to provide better protection. I have attached a pic for reference. The 2008 Highlander Sport/Limited headrests do the same although they are different in appearance and somewhat thinner.

Hope this helps.

Regards - M. J. McCloskey

• 4rider4rider Member Posts: 96
    Thks, it helps tremendously. This feature may seem to beminor to most folks. However, my wife's 04 sienna has only the 2-way adjustable and I can never get it to a confortable position for me.
    My two cents...

1) The Highlander is a high-volume vehicle for Toyota. It's not a question of if supply will catch up with demand, just when.

2) The same way buyers want to pay as little as possible, dealers want to maximize their profit (in legitimate ways for both, of course ;) ). Anyone who complains about the latter shouldn't be doing the former, IMHO. With any new-model launch, there will initially be pent-up demand and lower-than-normal supply. If you can wait a couple of months, things should settle down.

3) Did you actually get pricing from dealers in your area, or are you looking at the TMV here on this site? While the TMV is helpful, keep in mind that it's just a guide. If you use some of the car-buying strategies others have used, you may find a dealer willing to negotiate.
  • rzepa1rzepa1 Member Posts: 55
    Work internet. I am in Chicago and Edmunds told me that my target is around MSRP. After emailing few dealership, I am $500 over invoice for the ones they have in stock.
  • rzepa1rzepa1 Member Posts: 55
    Is there a compass indication on Sport trim, within this little screen in the middle ? I know that Limited comes with Auto-dimming mirror+ compass which is not even an option on Sport. I do not want Nav but do need the compass in Sport.