Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• sallen10sallen10 Member Posts: 30
    And BTW, I have finally sworn off of buying the first year model of a new generation vehicle to avoid by the beta test team for a manufacturer. Wait for the second year. The data sure supports waiting.
  • toyseekertoyseeker Member Posts: 81
    I experienced this one time over the year end holidays. It was sub 20 degree F (during first demo of the car to my father :sick: )

I thought it was the external rear view mirror. I folded it and unfolded it and it hasn't happened since. This could be a coincidence though.
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    Hello...today I decided to see what my mechanic that I have always used and trusted at Toyota says about the clicking sound when cold. He said that it was normal as the new design has changed the oil filter and now has a cartlidge with a paper filter that is removed. There is no longer a resovoir (mis -spelled) as there was before that circulates the oil when cold as it use to have which causes the sound until it warms up. The Tundra and Avalon both use this system, and many have checked in about the noise. I had a 2005 Avalon that also did this, and I had questioned it before, and never had any problems. Maybe this will help.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Methinks your "trusted" Toyota mechanic was "out to lunch".
    If you guys want to make an issue out of this,after you have been told by mechanics, then find a different answer and let us all know. My 05 Avalon made the clicking sound at start up as well. I had it 3 years without any problem. If you ask other owners of these cars, they will tell you as well. If the clicking was there all the time, yes there would be an issue, but it's not. I have a friend who has an Avalon that has the same issue with 95000.00 miles on it, with not a moment of problems with it. They were told the same thing. And yes, until you can prove my mechanic wrong, I will trust him as always.
    Sorry some of you guys don't accept what some of us were trying to help with this issue.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    I believe your engine is noisy, but not for the reason the mechanic said. His explanation of the oil filter is completely incorrect.
    Then what do you think the problem is?
  • sud23sud23 Member Posts: 10
    Anyone know if the '08 Highlander Limited is available with Black Leather seats?
  • canuck17canuck17 Member Posts: 28
    Thanks. I followed your suggestion and I folded the outside mirror a couple of times and after driving for about 30 minutes and the noise seems to have gone away. Hope it is solved.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    This problem has been seen in Tundras with the new 5.7 V8 and V6 Avalons, Camrys and Highlanders. It it probably a flaw in the valve train design. I doubt there is a fix until the engines are redesigned.
  • thardgravethardgrave Member Posts: 57
    My new Highlander, when cold, does idle fast (as it should when cold), and does make a little more noise..but not diesel, and not rough. After about 5 minutes, it is warm and settles into its normal mode. As to a design flaw in the valve train, if that is true it is odd that not all cars are affected........seems like that would be the case, and Toyota would have an epidemic with ths issue. Recent issues of Consumers Reports give the newer Camry's very high marks, based on real world surveys of current owners. Motor Trend also just selected the 2008 Camry their "Car of the Year" again, over all new competition,and they did not mention a hint of this.
    I'm not saying some folks aren't having some noise issues, but I sure haven't seen evidence or discussion to support the theory of a basic design flaw, in fact most of what I have read gives lots of praise in particular to this V-6 engine.
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    In Canada not he US. But you can get Black Leather in the Spor model
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    Anyone know if the '08 Highlander Limited is available with Black Leather seats?

This won't help unless you're in Hawaii, but the Hawaii distributor has brought in Limited models with the black leather interior. I saw a silver Limited with black leather on the lot; it looked very nice.
  • garyandersgaryanders Member Posts: 39
    I have had an 08 limited since October, no valve train noise, cannot ask for a nicer vehicle, drives and rides great. Gary
  • blackdog4blackdog4 Member Posts: 67
    I started this thread when I read the warning that the Highlander Hybrid should not be used off road. There was no such warning for the regular Highlander and this made me wonder if there were owners who had experience with various beach conditions. Thanks for those that have given some input. I had a Ford Explorer that had a "4WD low setting" (apologies to Mr. West) and I got stuck more often than I liked. I put a limited slip differential in the rear and reduced greatly my problems. My Sequoia,with a true 4WD, has never been stuck and in fact I tow out several vehicles in distress each summer. I wish the 4Runner was a little bigger and would like to get better gas milage in the true off roading vehicles. (?hybrids/diesels)
    I don't don't see any reason for an apology...why do you think so?
  • nt007nt007 Member Posts: 5
    Hi , I have 2008 Highlander limited with nav,bluetooth. When I am driving, if I receive a call, phone no on display is usually the last no I dialed from my phone .It should be the person who is calling.Has anybody noticed that?
  • nt007nt007 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I have 2008 highlander limited.
    It should unlock with my keys in my pocket.When I am very close to it, it senses and turns on light inside but doesn't unlock the door. Though it does open when I click unlock button on key.
    Please advise.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    With the Smart Key System ( SKS ) it won't unlock when you approach...most likely for security reasons. To actually unlock the door you have to have the fob within 1-2 meters of one of one of the three proximity sensors then touch the inside of the door handle. This is what actually unlocks the door.

If you do it from the driver's side only the drivers door unlocks. If you do it from the other side then all 4 doors unlock ( family side ).
  • edukatedredhededukatedredhed Member Posts: 41
    I haven't had that problem and I use my bluetooth regularly. Might want to contact your dealer. :confuse:
  • toyseekertoyseeker Member Posts: 81
    ...and the colder it is, the more attempts it takes pulling on the handle to get it to unlock. If it is below freezing, I have just started using the keyfob - it less annoying.
  • blackdog4blackdog4 Member Posts: 67
    I wasn't sure you would think the Explorer's 4WD would truly fit your 4WD definition. In the "Low "setting I guess it might. In the "high" setting I believe it was a RWD with AWD on demand.
    No, I have always thought the 4WD "high" mode in the Explorer is the same as the "low" but not nearly as low geared. The Mercury Mountaineer on the other hand....
    Thanks for your post. I have continued the research, and spoke with not only my mechanic, but other Toyota Mechanics at different dealerships, and there are no design flaws with the valve train or engine. They have all told me that it is normal to have a slight clicking noise at start up when the engine is cold. My Highlander 08 is the same as you posted with yours , after 5 minutes or so, it is as smooth and quiet as can be! My Avalon did the same thing. It is normal.
    To all that have this noise at start up, it is normal. To the one that posted about the
    diesel sound, that may be an issue if it is really that loud and continues.

I hope you enjoy your Highlander as much as I do. I will be taking my first trip soon, can't wait to have it on the road for 7 hours!
    Just another update on my Highlander experience....yesterday, for the first time, I drove it on the interstate for a 200 mile roundtrip, from Orange County to San Diego and back. There was little traffic and weather was wonderful....we cruised at 75-80 mph most of the time, with A/C on about half the time. Actual mileage came out to 24.8 mpg, which I thought was very good. Car only has about 2,500 miles on it, so still not totally broken in. This car is a great cruiser....very quiet, comfortable, yet powerful when needed for passing. I am more impressed than ever, and can't wait to take it on a longer trip. I also have the Bluetooth phone and Nav system and used both on the trip...worked flawlessly and very handy.
    Great car and I have no complaints at all!!
  • ferrillcatferrillcat Member Posts: 1
    Hello all! We are considering purchasing the 2008 Limited Highlander with navigation, and have learned that apparently the nav cannot be used while the vehicle is in motion. If this is in fact true, does anyone have any information about overrides specific to this vehicle and/or whether or not a pulse generator device could be configured to work with the '08 HL? We know such solutions exist for Toyotas of other years/models, and would appreciate insight from anyone with such knowledge. Thanks!
  • denverbriandenverbrian Member Posts: 61
    As with all Toyotas, you can't input a destination while the car is in motion, but the nav can be "used" while the vehicle is in motion. A few functions are even available - you can cancel a destination for example, even at 80mph. The voice function lets you call for things like "nearest restaurant" or "nearest gas station" at speed.

No one has yet figured out if there's a key sequence override or even if Toyota supplied one for servicing purposes.

P.S. The Bluetooth/phone is also inactivated while the car is in motion - you can't input a phone number manually unless the car is stopped. Of course, you can fiddle with the radio controls to your heart's content. Go figure.
    You are correct that most of the Bluetooth functions can't be used, but of course you can program in quite a few of your frequent people you call and then use voice command. Another easy answer is to simply use your cell phones directory, make the call and it automatically goes into the bluetooth mode and is on the speakers. Since you already need the phone with you it is easy.
    By the way, is Toyota the only maker that has restricted the use of the nav and Bluetooth this way? They have obviously done it for both safety and liability reasons, and given all the scary distractions I see every day by others trying to use devices, it is probably a good idea, although a pain for others. Almost every time I see someone driving too slow, or sitting at a light, I also see they are trying to use their cell phones or input something.........very annoying!!
    I would like to add I am glad Toyota has put these restrictions on! I cannot stand to see people with cell phones while driving, and also working gadgets in the car while driving. This is why there are so many more accidents. People need to keep their mind on driving, not playing with all the new stuff in cars these days!!!
    It is these scary distractions that are causing peoples lives, and you are right, it is very annoying!!
    I personnally don't think there should be any overide.....how can one be punching numbers or addresses while driving and think it's safe? It's NOT ! , if you're the driver.
    Do you have a 4wd Highlander 08? You are indeed getting great gas! I have gotten 17 in city driving, and soon will be taking a trip. I hope I can get as great mileage as you have. I do have a 4wd Limited.
    It is a great SUV, isn't it !

Ronn
    My bluetooth doesn't do that. It does display the current caller if I receive a call. You might want to have that checked.
    Just curious, has anyone researched how much a battery for the hybrid HL's cost? :confuse:
    Yes playing with the screens while in motion is currently barred in the Toyota system and I hope it stays that way....but... both most Navi and Bluetooth functions are voice activated.

You in fact have lost almost nothing...just talk to it and keep your hands on the wheel - please - for my safety.
    It's a well-known answer on a question that's been asked over and over and over again for the last 8 years.

Zero...

During the warranty period of 8 yrs / 100000 mi or 10 yrs / 150000 miles the battery is Toyota's responsibility. In fact almost no batteries have been replaced for failure on any of the 1 million or so hybrids on the road here. Certainly some have been replaced due to accidents so this is where you can get a hint as to the cost somewhere after 10 yrs or so of driving.

If your battery should fail at say 240,000 miles, when your vehicle is 'worth' about $500 then you might be looking at a $3000-$4000 repair bill. It's about the same as if a tranny went out at 240,000 miles. But you're looking at a repair bill that's 5-10 times the value of the underlying vehicle. Not a very smart idea.
    Ahhh! Very interesting! I don't have one myself, which is why I didn't take the time to do a search on the topic. ;)
    The Highlander I have that I wrote about the mileage (24.8 on the Freeway) is a 2008 Limited, FWD....not AWD. I have heard, but am not sure, that the mileage difference between the two versions is about 1 mpg less....at least that is what the EPA mileage ratings show. By the way, since I have bought this car, and put about 2,000 miles on it, my cumulative mileage to date is about 18.8.........and that is a good mix of both some freeway, but also surface streets, and some stop and go traffic. I have also found that the onboard mileage computer on this car is much more accurate than previous ones, especially the 2002 Sequoia I just sold...that one was overly optimistic by at least 1 mpg. For me, this car is so much better overall than the Sequoia....much more nimble, better mileage, more comfortable, rides much better......I love it!
    Glad you enjoy your Highlander as I do ! Tell me, do you reset the mileage computer everytime you get gas, and do you reset all of them? There are several screens. I want to make sure I am doing it right, and getting an accurate reading on my gas mileage.
    Thanks for any help with that.
  • gdkogergdkoger Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for the help nimrod99 but this doesn't work with the 2008 model.
  • gdkogergdkoger Member Posts: 23
    This is the most annoying thing on our HL. And you can't do much of anything, like in previous models. Or like the Honda's where (it works while you drive) their voice activation can make it colder (or warmer) or a specific temperature, or change the station from XM radio 9 to channel 8 (or what ever channel) not just from FM1 to XM1. And there are very limited commands. Also, you can only list POI's not actually go to them, and when you say "Restaurant", and you either get Golf course or something else that has nothing to do with it. No matter how slow or clearly you say it. And if there is any noise in your vehicle forget about it. "Home" is the only one that consistently works. IMO if you have a passenger, these options should be enabled. I will also say the "Dial by Number" command works well. But when are driving somewhere and trying to find a certain restaurant, you have to stop to use it.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    as you can probably guess i have an explorer. it has a factory limited slip rear end.
    i have luckily not gotten into a situation that i could not get out of(snow, mud, sand).
    almost got stuck in the sand on the outer banks and needed 4-low to get off the beach. once i let 4 low engage, and turned the steering wheel back an forth a few times, i got traction and was able to move. wheels straight ahead and give it some gas, forget it.
    i should have dropped the 36 front and 40 back psi out of the tires. :blush:
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    When I re-fuel I only reset the trip odometer. The display screen that shows the instant mpg and also the average for that tankful automatically resets each time you re-fuel. The other display screen I believe shows the total cumulative average mpg of all your re-fuels, so I do not reset that one. I also re-set the "B"" or second level of the trip odometer only when I get the car serviced, so I always know how many miles have passed since last service. Do you happen to have the Blue Tooth phone system in your car? I do and I recently found out that there is an adjustment you can make to enhance and amplify the sound whomever you are callling..........my dealer rep walked me through it, and the improvement was noticeable....but is not listed in the manual, and he gave me specific instructions to find the screen to do that. Now the people I call say the sound is better.
    Thanks for the info. I do have the Bluetooth and would be interested in the enhanced adjustments for sound. I will look into that.
  • denverbriandenverbrian Member Posts: 61
    TREMENDOUS news on the Bluetooth microphone! Can't wait to get to my dealer and have it adjusted.
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    ronn...so what you are saying there is no oil reservoir because they are using the canister oil filter system therefore engines that use a spin on filter has a oil reservoir, well I am confussed, where is an oil reservoir on a spin on filter engine. Google gas engine and have a look, I see nothing but may have missed it. My car a 05 has the canister oil filter system and I hear no clicking when the outside temp is -15C at start up. Did you know that the oil canister system was first used in the mid 50s north american cars, the big 3. Later they switched to spin on filters. The canister system is now used by all-some manufactures. It forces you to bring your vehicle to a dealer to have the filter changed as in some cases special tools are required. If your canister is plastic as mine is watch who changes the filter doesn't over tighten it as the plastic might crack, lose oil and then engine failure. If they(manufactures) want to use this system they should have used a canister made of heavy metal, not plastic, as this is a vital part that oil circulates through. Suggest you talk to another TOYota mechanic and get back to us. If what he says is true than all vehicles that use this oil filter system will have early start up clicking. Have you heard of Piston Slap..again Google it for the answer..
    Thank you
    Help me out, what does a bluetooth and a nav screen got to do with vibration?/
    Thanks
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    2008 HL canister oil filter change is pretty easy DIY job. BTW canister housing is metal on HL.
    It is just a continuation of a previous thread that started with vibration....you need to go back and read the earlier posts.......sorry for the confusion!
    Nifty56, All I have to go on is several friends and mechanics who have all told me the same thing. It is a normal condition for this engine in the Highlander to have a clicking noise when cold at start up. The engine has been re-designed, and I was told it has a different oil filter system than previous. I have had 5 different people tell me this.
    My first response to this was to answer a post who was concerned that something was wrong with his engine making a clicking noise. He proceeded to say that his sounded like a DIESEL. Mine doesn't do that, nor others that have mentioned a clicking noise at start-up. I do think a DIESEL sound would not be cool, and should be checked out.
    So my research that I feel comfortable with is that the clicking sound is a normal sound until the engine warms up. I have had 5 different mechanics tell me this. I do not understand the exact changes that were done that relates to the oil filter, because I am really dumb when it comes to all this.
    I have felt comfortable with this, and was only trying to re-assure the other post that was worried that the engine should not do this, that it was a normal sound with this engine. My Highlander 08 has been awesome, it is getting great gas mpg, and it is very smooth and quiet. The clicking sound goes away after warm -up, and I have been told that this is NORMAL !
    If anyone wants to explore this totally, then I hope they will share their results with all of us. Until then, I have to rely on what I know are great mechanics who have worked on Toyotas for many years.
    I appreciate your knowledge of the oil filter systems, and maybe you will want to research this more with the new Highlander. You see, I learned alot from your post, and that's whats great about these forums. Maybe you know a great Toyota mechanic that will once and for all clear this up, if you think there is more to the clicking sound.. We for sure all want our Highlanders not to have any problems.
    Thanks for your post, knowing the canister is metal is comforting and glad to see Toyota has done it right. Good job Toyota...