Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    I was lucky that I could get the Nav. in Virginia without the DVD. I actually wanted the Limited without NAv. to save money, but it was hard to come by in Virginia. They all had the Nav. Mine was actually on the lot. Wow, the DVD added another 1000 or so!
    WOW, thanks for the info. and article. I thought the SUV with Nav would have a higher resale value! I really wasn't needing the nav, but it was hard to get without it. In fact, when I bought my Highlander, there were none in Virginia or surrounding areas that didn't have it! I felt it wuld help with resale.
    Tech stuff these days is nice, but it does change fast, and we sure can spend alot trying to keep up. Look at the DVD changes..now Blue Ray!
  • denverbriandenverbrian Member Posts: 61
    That was strange...my comments were meant to be funny/snarky and I added a grin after that comment...but I see in the post that it's gone, and I don't see a way to edit it! So please don't get too sensitive. It's just a bulletin board after all.

:D:D:D
    I looked at that article about in-car navs and resale value. The comments after the article are more interesting than the article itself:

Actually, we have to clarify something: Cars with nav are not worth less than those without. They depreciate faster, which means the value of the option drops more than the car overall. As explained in the USA Today story, a $2,000 option may end up adding only $600 of value at resale. Navigation systems are not a scarlet letter that makes any model with them worth less than those without.

Now this I can agree with, but it also applies to lots of options. HomeLink? Smart key? Auto-lifting tailgate? Woodgrain accents? All are likely options that depreciate faster than the car itself does.

Yet people seem to have no problem loading their car up with these options and getting a Limited instead of a Sport.

As with all purchases, whatever floats your particular boat is fine. For me, the large screen, convenience, theft protection, and integration of a built-in nav beats having to mess with a portable unit and its cords and clutter all the time. Just as some people place an unusually high value on "oooh, the door unlocks when I get near it and I don't even have to push a button!"
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Folks buying, shopping for, used cars cannot easily or readily "shop" for options so they are less of a consideration in the used market.
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    Now this I can agree with, but it also applies to lots of options. HomeLink? Smart key? Auto-lifting tailgate? Woodgrain accents? All are likely options that depreciate faster than the car itself does.

True, but we were specifically talking about in-dash navigation systems.

And, as I wrote, if the features of the in-dash nav option fit your needs, then great. I know your statement was actually made in jest, but to automatically purchase navigation without a need for it (and without first considering a standalone unit)? I think that's a mistake.
  • rich96rich96 Member Posts: 37
    Our dealer out here in Southeastern MA charges $24.99 and that includes a free car wash. No appointment necessary and the wait time is usually around 45 minutes.

What dealer is this? I'm also in Mass.
  • thardgravethardgrave Member Posts: 57
    I agree someone shouldn't just buy expensive options if they have no need for them, and it is a shame that sometimes the models are just "loaded" up with them, so can be hard to find your exact model without them. For myself, I did want a loaded Limited........I decided I finally wanted a built-in Nav system, and I also wanted the Blue Ray phone. My son also bought a new Highlander at the same time, but the base model. I got to drive it on a 200 mile roundtrip Sunday, and although it drove just great, I missed most of those niceties that I added........particularly the big screen for the rear view camera.............that is really handy backing out of parking lots, etc. I also do not buy options with re-sale in mind. Since I normally keep cars for 10 years, I am really interested in getting the car and equipment I want. And yes, technology will always change.........just like buying a new computer, but how long do you wait to buy...there will always be new stuff just over the horizon!!
    I wish Edmunds would hurry and review the 08 Highlander. It has 88 reviews, probably the highest numbers of any SUV I've seen by owners. I am anxious to see what Edmunds thinks?
    I will add that with mostly city driving and a few short trips, I am averaging 20 mpg at this time! I really and pleased with that after owning a little over a month!
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    According to this article in "USA Today" in dash navigation specifically hurts resale value.

"Honda's own lender, American Honda Finance, shows navigation-equipped models are worth 1 percentage point less as used cars than non-navigation models, Watts says, though "five years ago, they were at the ALG level of 2 or 3 points difference."

"Navigation could be like cellphones built into cars in the '70s and '80s; those big, blocky phones that nobody has now. Everybody has a small, personal cellphone," says John Krafcik, vice president for product development at Hyundai Motor America.
    I guess I goofed getting the navigation...I do enjoy it though! I usually trade every 3 or 4 years.
    As I wrote earlier, it appears the USA Today story was just written clunkily. The one-point "difference" is actually not an apples-to-apples comparison. What they were trying to say is that a $35K car without nav might be worth $30K two years later, but a $40K car with nav might be worth $34K two years later. In total dollars, the more expensive car is still worth more as it ages, but its depreciation curve is a bit steeper.

Your own quote notes that this level of depreciation is actually better today than it was five years ago. (A one point difference today vs. 2-3 points difference five years ago.)

So, to other posters: No one makes a "mistake" with in-car nav. The only "mistake" is if you never use the nav. My own opinion is that it would have been much more of a "mistake" for me to get an auto-lifting tailgate that I would have rarely used, or that hideous woodgrain trim in the Limiteds that I would have wrinkled my nose at every day.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Yes, buying a car with a "captive" Nav system is a mistuke, for two reasons.

Currently the technology lead for non-captive navs is pretty substantial. The car manufacturers must commit to a specific design/technology months before a model goes into production. Whereas the aftermarket designs are free to make several technological advances in that same delay to market period.

Then, like DVD players, there is the issue of portability.........
  • redcandyredcandy Member Posts: 1
    I just test drove an '08 Limited that did not have DVD or Nav (which we will want). Can someone tell me definitively where the DVD for the rear entertainment system is loaded? I believe it's up by the screen in the 2nd row, but that just seems so clunky.

Thanks!
    I have both the DVD system and the nav, so can answer that for you. The DVD's are loaded in the same module that houses the screen, up on the ceiling behind the front seats. It seems pretty easy to access and use to me, and the wireless headsets work very well. You cannot load DVD for that system in the front nav area.
  • gymnbatgymnbat Member Posts: 9
    I bought a limited in ocotber and I am loving it. I went for both the nav which I love and the rear dvd which my daughter loves ( and so do I now that I have learned to play dvd on nav screen when parked.) I am old enough to remember being able to go to a dealer and order a car the EXACT way you wanted it. They filled out your order and it was built to your spec. Too bad that money has decided what options people want. It is cheaper for the manufacturers to decide what most people want so they can produce less variations in models and therefore ave money. I do miss being able to buy a dodge dart with a 318 and tell them what interior, what rear end what options leave the radio out please.....I bought what I wanted..fortunatly what I wanted was what Toyota feels most people want......
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Edmunds has this 2008 Highlander review up, but no word on a First Drive or Full Test yet.
  • dowlingdcdowlingdc Member Posts: 7
    I did the same thing - took it to the dealer. They said they couldn't find anything wrong and was told the same thing - that the sensitivity could not be adjusted. I thought that maybe it was becasue I bought a portable GPS and had been leaving it in the car, but I've been bringning that inside with me for about 2 weeks and the alarm went off again last night! Thinking of bringing it to an alarm shop to see what they can do. Has anyone tried that? Also, have been locking the car with the door handle mechanism for weeks including last night - that doesn't work in my case.
    You are so right !!! They get you with all these package deals that you have to take, to get what you want. I'm glad you love the Highlander. I really am enjoying mine!
    You brought back memories with the Dodge Dart...my uncle had one which had push-buttons for the gears. I thought that was so cool as a kid then! Now we have push-button start....maybe someday push button gears will come back LOL !
    Have a good one.
  • techdudetechdude Member Posts: 87
    Edmunds wrote in their write up:

"Base and Sport buyers can also choose to delete the third-row seat (dropping passenger capacity to five) for a price credit."

I live in NY and no dealership offers this as an option. Everyone says third row seating is standard and not a no option, even after I insist that sites such as edmunds lists it as an option. I'd rather get rid of the third row if it's going to save me several hundred dollars. If I wanted that much seating, I'd buy a Sienna and everyone could sit comfortably.
  • edukatedredhededukatedredhed Member Posts: 41
    Why am I seeing so many Blizzard Pearl HL's around town? :confuse: I thought they were "hard" to find when I bought mine, yet mine is one of three in a small north GA town! :cry:;) Seriously though, I'm amazed at the fact I've only seen three other 08 HL's in town and two of them are white! Guess Blizzard Pearl wasn't so hard to find after all!
    IIRC, you can still do a direct factory order to your specs, but you'll wait 8-10 weeks for the car to arrive.
  • findmefindme Member Posts: 36
    I have a question for those of you that have the 2008 models. Should I purchase the option for controlled air and heat for the rear seats? We want the dual air for the front, but my husband doesn't think the air/heat will be enough for the back. The Highlander we have looked at only has vents in the back without the people in the back to be able to control their own air/heat. This is on the Sport model.
    We looked a the limited options and it looks like we would have to purchase the back controls for it too, is that correct?
    Thanks for your responses.
  • findmefindme Member Posts: 36
    The highlander that we really like is red salsa with black cloth interior. The salesman shipped it to their lot for me and it has everything that I need and the price is good. I thought it was exactly what we wanted until I saw all the fuzz and white lint all over the back of the seats. Does anybody have the black cloth interior and have a problem with the black lint/fuzz popping up? I hate to spend extra money for leather, but I think this will just bother me all the time! I have two kids and I don't want to spend precious time cleaning the seats. Any posters have this problem?
    Thanks so much!
  • vtgk7vtgk7 Member Posts: 17
    I have the 08 Highlander Ltd with the rear air/heat controls and it is a godsent as compared to when I had only front air/heat controls. The rear passengers can now control their own air/heat rather than having the front passengers roast in the front while the backseat passengers want more heat in the colder months. It is well worth the extra investment.
    I have a 2008 Limited, and it came with both front and rear ac/heat with auto controls. I find that it works very well, in fact, I think this system is the best I have ever had in a car, including my wife's Lexus GS 300. It maintains temperature very well, and with front and rear separate, gives you more control. i think is is definitely worth it.
    If you live in the hot area of the country then rear a/c might have sense. I live in Ohio and feel that front only A/C and heat is all that I need. At the summer time I felt that HL has very powerful A/C, that very quickly cooled the car even on the hottest day. For the winter I keep heat control knob on the middle position and car feels warm on the front and on the rear. Without the rear A/C, air flow is adjustable for the rear passengers on the same console and provides enough comfort for any weather. There are additional vents under both front seats that blow hot/cold air on the second row occupants.
  • ronedroned Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2008 Highlander with the towing package 4WD. Has anyone towed a trailer with a weight of about 3500 pounds and about 24 feet in length with :) a weight distribution hitch. I am considering buying a Trailmanor - basically a pop up type trailer. My questions surround the wheelbase and the ease of towing. I know the Highlander has a 5000 pound capacity. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
  • molinemoline Member Posts: 14
    I did a long test-tow on a Trail-Cruiser C243S hybrid, which is full-height (10'4" including A/C), 4000 pounds dry and just over 26' long. We do have the 5000 pound tow package on our Highlander, and a Draw-Tite hitch which I had installed, because many of the hitches available for the Highlander (including the OEM hitch, Valley hitches, etc.) don't allow the use of weight distribution. This was of course with W/D, but the sway control hadn't been installed yet. I was impressed with how well the Highlander handled it. It had plenty of power to get the rig up grades, including our driveway which is fairly steep. As far as wheelbase goes, the trailer didn't whip the car around at all. All that being said, you might want to see if the person who is selling the TrailManor will let you take it on a test-tow before you buy it.
  • molinemoline Member Posts: 14
    I haven't brought it to an alarm shop yet, but the problem seems to have gone away, at least for now. I had gone through some puddles just prior to the early-morning "wake-up calls", maybe it was just some water that found its way into places where it didn't belong. The dealer told me that the only way that they could disable the alarm would be to remove it altogether, which I'm not wild about.
  • miacar07miacar07 Member Posts: 28
    When they say that the DVD Rear Entertainment comes with SRAT, what does SRAT stand for? And what is it for?
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    I'm going to take a guess here, since Googling it doesn't help much.

I found one reference to option code SRAT being a power moonroof. In that case, there may be a DVD Rear Entertainment option for models with the moonroof and those without the moonroof (maybe the moonroof causes a different mounting spot for the DVD screen).
    Has anybody added the body - side molding to the Highlander 2008? I am trying to decide if it would ruin the looks of the clean lines of the Highlander. www.Toyotapartspeople.com has them for 120.75 . many have told me they don't protect that much. Any help would be appreciated.

Ronn
    I think you would have to see them first to really know. I was just hand washing mine over the weekend, and did think how clean the side view of the car is, and kind of sculpted.....my first thought would be to not add them.
  • toyseekertoyseeker Member Posts: 81
    Re: the drivers seatbelt beep: The dealer says they don't know how to turn it off !!

I am ready to find the beeper and cut the wires... any ideas?
    I put them on mine - I think they look decent. My wife likes it better with them. I've not been 'dinged' yet, so either they are working or I am lucky ... just turned 5k miles - it sits in a large parking lot each weekday and in a private garage at night.

I know what the side of my last car looked like after 9 years of being careful.. the sheer amount of flat unbroken sheet metal on this is scary!

I do hope they help, but I am sure not all doors will hit the bumper strips first.

Goodluck.
  • damifinomikedamifinomike Member Posts: 64
    Hello:
    Yes, I have the body side mouldings on my 2008 Limited. Got the Blizzard Pearl Paint with matching mouldings when I purchased vehicle in October 07. I like them and add a margin of protection on vehicle for those individuals who are less considerate of YOUR vehicle in parking lots, etc. I think it dresses up the vehicle as well.
    How is your gas mileage doing on your vehicle? Mine in Winter so far is not too impressive. Average is 16.5 combined city-highway driving. Best road trip so far was 21 mpg on expressway, 100 miles each direction.
    Hope summer blended fuel will get me better mileage.
    Cheers,
    Greetings:
    Where do you live? How has your mileage been on vehicle?
    I have about 8k on mine and mileage for fuel is not as good as expected.

Agree with your statement regarding how many doors it will actually "catch" . ..

Do you also seem to notice that even if you take foot off the gas, you need to hit brakes rather HARD to slow vehicle down for red light or stop sign? It appears to me, the vehicle almost speeds up when you take foot off the gas.
    Vehicle seems to "coast" forever and do not feel transmission assisting with downshift.
    Thoughts?
    You will be hitting yourself about the head as well as the wallet when you go to download map updates from our friends at Toyota. Map updates will cost you about $70.00 each time when you can get them FREE with Garmin or TomTom unit. Plus, the other units are "portable" for other uses like camping or fishing trips.
    This friendly advice was given to me from my "honest" salesman when I was "going" to purchase the NAV system. Lucky for me, I found one without DVD and NAV. I am happy camper. Hang onto your head and your wallet when you attempt to update your maps on your NAV systems.
    Hello:
    I have 2008 Limited with rear seat heating/AC as you note. Like it a lot and gives rear seat passengers their own level of comfort. In winter I set it to max hot and adjust from there with rear seat fan settings. Find the vehicle warms up faster and is more comfortable all the way around. Got mine early Fall of last year, so I don't have much to offer with regard to "cooling" but I am sure it will be good idea if you frequently have rear/backseat passengers. I don't have little kids anymore, but do have frequent "golf-friends" riding in backseat. Have fun.
    Like the vehicle so far and hope gas mileage does increase though. Have about 8K miles on vehicle and getting 16.5 around town/highway driving and recent road trip was 21 mpg on Interstate. Maybe Spring blended fuel in Midwest will show improvement along with nasty weather.
  • jimmy2xjimmy2x Member Posts: 124
    Am a fan of portables myself, but Garmin updates are NOT free and generally cost about $60.
  • ronedroned Member Posts: 9
    I am considering towing a 3200 pound pop-up type trailer- about 24 feet in length with a 4 wheel drive Highlander. I have the tow package and will be using a weight distribution hitch. Anybody out there who has already done this? Any problems? Suggestions and/or experiences would be helpful. Thanks. :shades:
  • vtgk7vtgk7 Member Posts: 17
    When I took delivery on my Toyota Highlander Ltd in 9/07 the dealership told me at that time that Toyota was having a adhesive problem with the side mouldings. Last week I checked again and got the same answer. A company like Toyota still cannot come up with a adhesive to hold these side moldings on. Maybe they have not discovered Gorilla Glue.
    Thanks for the reply....I have been told that there is no great adhesive right now, and they are having trouble with moldings not staying on. I also have the Blizzard Pearl. Isn't it a great color!!! My previous car was black, and I don't miss it a bit!

As far as gas mpg, I am very pleased. I do mostly in town driving, and my average is 18. I have not taken a long trip, but I have gotten 20 mpg with mixed in town and short trips. Hang in there and maybe warm weather will help the mpg.
  • hlanderhlander Member Posts: 31
    Dear Toyseeker,

Did you put the side molding yourself? I'm looking forward to put one on mine. And Toyotapartspeople.com's price is good. If you order from dealer it will cost 165 plus and 225 plus for installation included. I want to know that still ok or not? Like other mention about the adhesive that doesn't work well or not?

Thanks.
  • caitrocks75caitrocks75 Member Posts: 4
    Maybe you could just wear your seatbelt! LOL No, I know what you mean. If I have my laptop on the passenger seat, it beeps too...very irritating.
  • charles4318charles4318 Member Posts: 5
    When I purchased the 2008 Highlander, I ordered the Body Side Molding December 28, 2007 and it was back order for a recall. It was received and installed the last of March 2008. It looks good, however it does not provide much coverage of protection. Prior years was much better coverage.
    Try another dealer. This is already confirmed that only dealer can disable the chime on 2008 HL.
    Yes, I applied it myself. It came with instructions to measure up from specific points on the door, apply 'painters tap' and use a pencil to mark the line. Then just peel off the backer and stick (clean the area really well first!). I applied it right after delivery (Sept 07) and it has stuck fine - so far - even through all of the salt water and grime this winter. It is stuck like a fly on sh*t :blush:

I left the recommended 1/8" gap between the end of the strip and the seam between the front and rear doors. I'd advise less than that on the front door (maybe 1/32") and a little less on the rear (maybe 3/32"). With 1/8" on both, the overall gap is rather large - probably around 1/2" or so. This recommendation would knock the gap down to around 1/4 to 3/8".

I ordered mine from toyotaworld for around $125. Color matches perfectly (Gray Metallic 1G3)
    At first, I got a "I don't know how", then I got a "we can't for liability reasons, it's there for your safety". I argued that a distracted driver who is backing up a trailer to a densely populated boat launch is not 'safe'. Unfortunately this launch is tight and blind, so if there is no one to direct from the rear, there is a lot of in-and-out to do in order to make sure everything clears. Maybe I should have used the "it's my car, and not your liability" argument.

Turning the beep off just seems so much easier than using a different launch :)

If there are people around, I can buckle the passenger belt into the drivers receiver... but the long ride up the driveway from the mailbox still drives me nuts. I just don't see the need for the beep - there is a big red flashing light in my face!