Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    There are a lot of currently satisfied Highlander and HH owners to the tune of about 500K-600K currently on the road. A good number like the posters above want a more dramatic modern style, a good number like the current size very much, a good number want two-person carrying ability with high utility but excellent fuel economy.

The Camry Solara is destined to be discontinued, possibly except for the ragtop.
    Toyota is offloading 100,000 units of production to it's new partner at the Subaru plant in Indiana.
    Both of these reduce plant usage in Kentucky...hmmmmmmmm.

Is there a smaller, more efficient I4 and I4+HSD crossover in the works for Kentucky that's bigger and nicer than the Matrix but maybe just smaller than the current Highlander? For the JDM they have the Blade which I think addresses this segment.

Why would they leave a hole of 100,000+ vehicles at the prime production site in the US? Curious.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    When I read about the Blade, I too thought it was a prime candidate for TMMK production, especially given that it is expected to use the Camry's 2.4L which isn't produced at NUMMI or in Ontario. Certainly, not that engines NEED to be produced where the car is assembled, but it reduces logistics costs, I'd imagine....

But I see the Blade as much more of a Mazda 3 Hatch competitor.

~alpha
  • prnd350prnd350 Member Posts: 10
    I drove both the 4 and 6 cylinders when I bought, and felt that the 6 drove more like a truck while the 4 was more like a car. Hence my decision to go with the 4. I am quite happy with the power (I live north of NY city in a semi-hilly area).

Unfortunately the new RAV is still a little small for me, and I don't care for the styling anyway. The current Highlander without the 3rd row seat is perfect for my needs, I just am frustrated that I cant get the in-dash navigation with the base model. I may end up trading in my current one for a new 4 cylinder before they go away.

If the time ever came where they transitioned the 4 cylinder Camry platform over to the Highlander I would be interested then, particularly if it were a hybrid that delivered real world MPG above 30.
    "I drove both the 4 and 6 cylinders when I bought, and felt that the 6 drove more like a truck while the 4 was more like a car."

I'm not sure I understand this. Can you explain just a little bit? I would imagine if its semi-hilly, the V6 would be better suited. And the 3.3L is quieter and smoother than the 4 as well....

In any case, best of luck!
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    "is there a smaller, more efficient I4 and I4+HSD crossover in the works for Kentucky that's bigger and nicer than the Matrix but maybe just smaller than the current Highlander?"

You hit the nail on the head, this is exactly the vehicle I hope Toyota will build! Is anyone from toyota listening?
  • prnd350prnd350 Member Posts: 10
    Alpha, in my test drives, I found the 4 to be much smoother and quieter than the 6. Every time I stepped on the pedal with the 6 you heard the power kick in.

I should say I do about 80 % of my driving on the highway (NY Thruway), so having a 4 is perfect for me (once you get up to 65 you are smooth as silk).
    Interesting. That's not something I've heard before.

~alpha
  • toyotagaltoyotagal Member Posts: 215
    The only problem I would have with a "4" is getting up to 65 and getting on the onramps around here. We commonly need to get up to a slightly higher speed than the oncoming traffic to merge safely. And I do hate peddling.
  • avalon02whavalon02wh Member Posts: 785
    So far so the power is fine. It does take a few extra seconds to merge on the interstate. I suspect that if you had 3 or 4 big folks in the car going up hills and merging would require the engine to work a bit.

So far my wife loves the car. She does not consider it sluggish - calls it zippy. She drove a Sienna (3.0L) before this car/truck.

I should also mention that historically we have owned low powered cars. Our cars had weight to hp ratios of 22 plus. In other words, 22 pounds per hp. The Avalon was our first car to crack the 20 mark. The new Highlander is about 22.7 (3516/155). We are OK, power wise, with cars in the 22 to 23 range.

Another point to mention is that in the good old days our cars/vans typically had 3 spd automatics. The new cars have 4, 5 and 6 speed automatics. A new car with a weight to power ratio of 23 will probably perform better than a model from 15 years with the same weight to power ratio. I also know that hp ratings have changed over the years, so I try to make a mental adjustment and typically I am not to concerned about anything right of the decimal point.

I can see why Toyota did not put the 4 in the 08 model. The extra weight requires an engine of probably 2.7L or better. Since Toyota seems to have settled on the 2.4L and the 3.5L the only option was the 3.5L.
  • avalon02whavalon02wh Member Posts: 785
    Thanks for the info. I am guessing that the comparo was in the paper copy of Motor Trend - how 90s :( I did not see anything obvious on the web site. Sounds like a trip to the library is in order.

As to the driving dynamics of the 07, - we like the way it drives. The 4 seemed to be a bit more nimble than the V6. The handling is better compared to our ex Sienna minivan.

MT does a nice job, but they probably subconsciously expect everything to handle, drive or perform like a sports car. Those of us that are more interested in getting from point a to point b can live with less.

Maybe somebody from Edmunds can hint as to when a first drive of the 08 Highlander will appear on the web site. Some of us information junkies would like to know :) Thanks
    "around here" it's standard procedure to not look and just go straight on, expecting the sap in the right lane to brake or swerve out of your way. So, no need for gas guzzling pick up, especially with $4 gas around the corner. It amazes me how soon everyone has forgotten $3 gas last summer already.
    Wow! That almost sounds like Los Angeles. The first time I went down there I nearly wet my pants watching the idiots merging and expecting oncoming traffic to let them in. Personally I have never been comfortable "assuming" what the other drivers will do.

Around here you would be dead meat assuming that the other drivers would let you in, often times.

I took a Driver Training Course, at one time, from the Highway Patrol and the instructor said that you should always have you vehicle going faster than the oncoming traffic to merge proerly. And I have never forgotten that and it has served me well on mergers with never a close call.............knock on wood.............
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe somebody from Edmunds can hint as to when a first drive of the 08 Highlander will appear on the web site

Probably just as soon as Toyota loans out one for testing. :shades:
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    "Is there a smaller, more efficient I4 and I4+HSD crossover in the works for Kentucky that's bigger and nicer than the Matrix but maybe just smaller than the current Highlander? For the JDM they have the Blade which I think addresses this segment."

Toyota is planning to bring out a new crossover (CUV) vehicle for release in 2008. It will resemble a tall wagon. As you stated, larger than the Matrix. My guess it will be based on HS-SX concept vehicle.

Hopefully, the I4 hybrid will be available with it.
    Where did you get this information from? I hope it's true, except for the tall wagon part :)
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Here is one article. There was another. However, I can't find it (sorry). Also, it will based on the FT-SX (not HS-FX, sorry again). That's why I was not surprised with the direction of the new HL. As I posted earlier, for those who wanted (or were hoping for) a sexier vehicle (in the HL) will have to wait for this new Toyota crossover.

http://wardsauto.com/ar/toyota_considers_cuvs/
    Thanks for the link. Somehow I missed the news. It does now make more sense that the 08 HL is as it is with these other CUVs in the works.
  • lexylexy Member Posts: 5
    i find this thread highly useless for those of us looking at the 2008 highlander. please create a new thread!!!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Steve just beat me to it!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ok - if someone wanders in looking for the hybrid Highlander, please gently steer them towards the Toyota Highlander Hybrid group.
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    Below is a link to the 2008 highlander. Don't know why no one has posted it yet? Looks like its higher suv, but also looks smaller? Does anyone know if its larger then the past Highlander?

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/highlander.html?s_van=GM_HOME_HIGHLANDER_T- - XT
    If you go back to Feb 7 when the 08 HL was released, there have been pics and links and much discussion.
    We had several discussions about the 08 Highlander which earlier was purported to hit the show room floors in May. My Dealer now notes it will not hit until June. How reliable that date is I don't know either.

I loved the earlier comment that the 08 looks like a RAV4 on steroids. And my Dealer Rep said that word among salesmen is a "pregnant RAV4". He did appreciate the "RAV4 on steroids" which I passed along...........

In any case, yes it is bigger than the 07. One reason I am still looking to pick up an 07 before they are phased out. What with the small dimensions of my garage.

But of course there are many that are thrilled that it getting larger.
  • sallen10sallen10 Member Posts: 30
    I was among those that suggested the RAV4 on steroids. I for one am already disinterested simply from the look. A new vehicle is supposed to garner excitement. No excitement there. Since the new RAV4 is near 2007 Highlander dimensions, I suppose that at the end of the day, I wasn't looking for such a large vehicle anyway, what with $3 gas anyway.
    I am mildly amused re: your assertion that new Toyotas are supposed to generate excitement (re: styling). Maybe the sucessor to the Supra, but Toyota's family cars? Hardly.

I think the new HL is actually pretty darn sharp, especially in darker colors. I like that its grown but does not look oversized like so many redesigns, SUV or otherwise. It still appears fairly trim.

My big concern is the usability of the weird 2nd-row jump seat/console thing, and the weight increase of the Hybrid - if it also applies to the non-hybrid. I also don't exactly understand if the Sport model actually has any firmer suspension settings or not. If so, I'm on board. If not, boo-hiss. The engine in this rig is now stellar, having driven the 3.5L in other applications.

I think this will be a noticeable improvement in size, refinement, features, safety, performance than the outgoing HL. It will be interesting to see about the potential for the 4 cylinder model as well; I can't wait for this new family of engines.

~alpha
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    How much do you guys think that thing weighs? 4000-4100?
    My guess is that the 2008 is about 500 lbs more. With the 07 coming in at the weight range that you are mentioning 4,035lbs for the V-6.
    Thanks. Think I will wait for a diesel CRV. These Toyotas just seem too "old tech" looking for me.
    The full dress, body on frame 4Runner Limited V8 weighs 4500lbs. If the non-hybrid, unibody, NG Highlander V6 weighs 4500lbs, then Toyota must be using lead in the chassis.

~alpha
    With the 07 V-6 weighing in at 4035 and the 08 longer, wider, longer and taller and a bigger engine what would your guess be 4036? smile
    ...the new Highlander will be 'bigger' than the current 4Runner. It may not sit as high but I'm expecting it to be as wide but longer with more usable interior room.
    The heaviest non-hybrid HL I can find on Toyota's website is 3935 lbs.

http://www.toyota.com/highlander/specs.html

I'm going to guess the gas version AWD is about 4325 fully loaded.

~alpha
    L 188.4 W 75.2 H 69.3 WB 109.8 GC 8.1 Nice dimensions. Just a little large 4 me. My best weight guess for 2WD is 4125.
    I guess it depends on where one get their numbers. I got the 4,035lbs on the Toyota V-6 Highlander for 07 from Consumer Reports.

But I am going to guess that I would have a hard time distinguishing the difference with me not being able to lift either one.............smile
    Believe it or not. This website shows 4500lbs for the 2008 Highlander, as I suspected:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Highlander
    O.K. I choose not to believe it. :) That is obscene! Toyota has really caught themselves with these heavy vehicles at a bad time gasoline price wise. I bet they are firing all their market seers even as we speak.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    toyotagal stated: "Believe it or not. This website shows 4500lbs for the 2008 Highlander, as I suspected:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Highlander "

And you believe Wikipedia????? It is an open content web site. Hardly a reliable source for this information.

"Welcome to Wikipedia,
    the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit."

"Wikipedia (IPA: /ˌwikiˈpiːdi.ə/ or /ˌwɪkiˈpiːdi.ə/) is a multilingual, web-based, free content encyclopedia project. Wikipedia is written collaboratively by volunteers from all around the world. With rare exceptions, its articles can be edited by anyone with access to the Internet, simply by clicking the edit this page link."

about Wikipedia

I believe we won't know the true weights of the different models until Toyota publishes them when the vehicles are released for sale.
    Good grief, it sounds like I'm at the County fair listening to the huckster guessing weights for a kewpee doll. :lemon:
    Remember,I'm @ 4,125 for the 2WD!
    Surely you don't believe Toyota do you? Aren't these the folks that tell us the V-6 Highlander gets 20/24 mpg for the V-6 non-hybrid?

Besides for some reason Toyota refuses to release the weight of the 08 Highlander. While it releases all the the other numbers. Hmmmmmmmmm

Could it be for folks that choose to believe that a taller, wider, longer rig still weighs around 4,000 pounds.

Of course they could have replaced some metal with plastic and that would lower the weight............
    On our 2004 Highlander 3.3L V6 4WD I get 23.+ mpg on every single tankful.

While my Prius in being repaired I've been driving the Highlander on the daily 150 mi commute. It's like clockwork. 23.+ mpg or about 375 mi on 16.+ gal.

Personal situation:
    Cool to warm temps. 63 mph on average. Few stoplights. 90 min trip in each direction. Light steady touch.

When I drive the HH I get about 28 mpg for the same trip.
    toyotagal wrote: "Surely you don't believe Toyota do you? Aren't these the folks that tell us the V-6 Highlander gets 20/24 mpg for the V-6 non-hybrid? "

NO! The EPA tells us what the mpg estimate is. Toyota and all manufacturers only tell us what the EPA estimates, it is NOT Toyota telling us what mileage their cars get. They are required BY LAW to report the EPA figures, which, by the way, are being revised downward between 15% and 25% for 2008 for all vehicles.

Also, who cares how much a vehicle weighs? I mean really?
    I just find the slimmer ones more attractive.
    blufz1 wrote: "I just find the slimmer ones more attractive"

I happen to agree with you, 100% (at least until I see the '08 in person)... but the current discussion, as I see it, is about the amount of weight gain that no one can seem to agree on. My point is what difference does it make how much it weighs? I bet 99% of people have no idea how much their vehicle weighs. And if they bought say a 99 Camry, then upgraded to a 2002...the newer one probably gained weight, but do they care? NO! It is quieter, smoother, more powerful, and most likely gets better mileage as well. Later they upgrade to a 2007 Camry, aagin, probably a weight gain, but, a better car again, more room, more power, better fuel mileage...etc.

My 2 main points:

1. we won't know how much the 08 Highlander weighs until we see Toyota's specs.

2. 99% of the buyers have no idea what their vehicle weighs and don't care.

With all this said, I really like the size of the 1st generation HL, I have owned 2 (currently an 05 Limited)...It appears that the 08 will be Pilot size, and for my needs, that is too big.....big....I am not talking weight....

But, I am willing to (ahem) weight (sic) until they come out and drive one and re-evaluate my opinion.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Also, who cares how much a vehicle weighs? I mean really?

Hmm. Just a thought, but ...

(1) People concerned about gas mileage?

(2) People who drive smaller vehicles that may be struck by a behemoth?

(3) People who want the added "protection" from those in (2) above that can only be achieved with a heavy vehicle?

(4) People who were looking for a certain tax break on heavy vehicles with a specific weight requirement but who didn't otherwise really need such a vehicle?

(5) Children who may not be seen by the driver of a very large vehicle backing out of a driveway?

Just maybe some people do care how much a vehicle weighs. :)

BTW, I am sure toyotagal is aware of where those mileage figures come from.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    What tidestar said. :) Plus weight effects everything re a vehicle. Some people on this site are aficionados.
    "99% of buyers don't care about what their vehicle weighs"?

You gotta be kidding.

Weight effects gas mileage and the way a vehicle handles. As vehicle weight goes up it takes more gas to move. Also as weight goes up the effect on its agility comes into play.

Also size is an important factor as well with my having a tight fit for my pending 07 Highlander in the garage and the 08 becoming a near impossibilty.
    Sorry Toyotagal, I still say the verdict is out on the '08 non-hybrid Highlander's weight gain until we get the official specs, which shouldn't be too far away.

The wording of the Press Release is very ambiguous, and I cannot tell if the 500lbs gain applies only to the Hybrid or also to the gasoline version.

http://www.pressroom.toyota.com/Releases/View?id=TYT2007020756841

Either way, I'm not a big fan of the gain, but if Toyota managed to make the vehicle more powerful, roomier while maintaining or improving efficiency and agility, its not really a big deal. (Reference the award-winning RAV4 redesign).

Also, don't forget, the '08 EPA figures will not be directly comparable with the current ones, so we're going to have to wait for Consumer Reports to do their testing - they present more realistic, IMO, city, highway, and overall figures than the EPA ever has. And, in many cases, their Overall is what I've been able to achieve (sometimes I achieve a bit better, even).

~alpha
    Tgal,you should test drive the new CRV and see how that woks 4 U. Step in height is nice.
    Thanks for the suggestion but my significant other has clautrophobia. We test drove both the CRV and Highlander many times. While the CRV would be great for me unless I want to be single again.....................smile

Besides we both took an oath to never, ever own a 4 cylinder vehicle again. But I have to admit they are nice when you stop for gas..............