Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    Thanks for the link -- wasn't aware this existed on Toyota's website!

I've said it before in other forums, but just realized I've never said it here, the most important place to say it:

Indeed, according to edmunds.com Future Vehicles the new HL will be "borrowing plenty of cues from the FT-SX concept vehicle." edmunds says it'll be released in 2007.

motortrend.com Future Vehicle Forecast, in contrast, says it'll be released in 2008. "Redesigned on the Avalon platform, growing larger in size to make room for the RAV4."

My prediction is it'll be released in 2008:

1. There have been no spy pics, no press releases, no rumors about the redesigned HL yet, as there have been for the Camry.

2. They recently released the HL hybrid as a 2006 model; seems they would want to get more mileage out of the current design instead of doing a complete redesign the very next model year.

3. They just introduced the Highlander Sport, essentially a stripped-down Limited, probably to extend the life of the current design.
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    Personally, I don't care for the new design. I like the present style. Style - to each his own. More importantly, I like the quality and value it represents. I just purchased my 3rd one a few weels ago. The 07/08 model may introduce significant advancement. It may also move significantly up the price ladder. My guess is that it will come out in early- to mid- 2007 as a 2008 model.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    We're just going to leave the Forum title as-is for now.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    The HL has been out 5 years, and the Hybrid almost a year.

So the HL Hybrid will get a two year run, go on hiatus for 2008, and be reintroduced for 2009 in the new rig.

DrFill
  • 91landcruiser91landcruiser Member Posts: 8
    I agree that there will be a change, probably 08 to distance itself from the new RAV4. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Lexus RX330 updated body style. What do you think? Also, think they'll drop the FWD for 4WD-i? Anyone out there have a photo program to give us your ideas?
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    The HL is on its 6th year. Although sales haven't suffered too much, a redesign should not be far away. Seven or eight years with the same exterior (not including minor changes) is unusual these days. So far, Toyota doesn't seem to be hurting too much. Although it appears the new RAV will take some of the sales away from the HL. Time for a change.
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    When the HL came out it was around 20-21000 for a base model. Now they are selling the Rav at 21000 base.
  • gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    assuming the body style stays current for 2007, will they drop the 3.5 in there like Lexus has done with the RX 350? It's an embarrassment that the RAV4 has more power AND gets MUCH better gas mileage compared to the HL.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I would rather suspect both the HL and RX will get the newer 3.5L with DFI & DFI come the fall roll out.
  • sma3sma3 Member Posts: 28
    This doc (I saw listed on a siennaclub.org 2007 Sienna thread) shows that the Highlander is a carryover for 2007. However, it does show the 2007 Sienna getting the 3.5L engine as "available".

http://www.arifleet.com/pnews/2006/pn608.pdf
  • master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    What I really want to know about the new Highlander is the gas mileage. My 04 is only making 21.5 on the highway
    Here is the link to Toyota's website with some information and pictures of the new Highlander concept! I know that some of you have been waiting for more information on this. :) Here it is:

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/ftsx.html
  • richey02hgrichey02hg Member Posts: 69
    no offense, but I highly doubt that is the highlander concept, it doesn't look anything like it. Not to mention why would they call it the ftsx and not the 2008 highlander or something close to it? that thing looks more like a sedan wagon than a SUV.
    Actually, when you click on New Cars, then Toyota, you'll see that the future Highlander looks like that too on the edmunds site. The name FTSX can be for another country, or other purposes not relating to the U.S. Highlander.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/FVDP/Preview/styleId=100531781
  • richey02hgrichey02hg Member Posts: 69
    ya i noticed that too, the wierd thing is that the edmunds one says its due out in fall 2006, you would think we would of heard something by now

but still, i dont think it has to look somewhat different from the picture, that thing does not look like an SUV at all
    That's actually the new look and style now.
    NISSAN MURANO
    NEW ACURA MDX

The lower body and clearance improvesn gas mileage. Better gas mileage = more profit $$.

That WILL be the new Highlander.
  • sma3sma3 Member Posts: 28
    If that is the new Highlander then the Highlander will be a Lowlander :)

The MD-X (dash was intentional since the MD-X concept was what was shown so far) at least seems to have an SUV's higher ride height. In my opinion this FT-SX is too low.

Anyway, I wonder if the FT-SX Toyota concept in question is based off the same platform as the Lexus LF-X concept:
    http://www.lexus.com/about/concept/lf-x_gallery_exterior_photos.html
    (which I believe is the same as the Lexus HPX concept on some sites:
    http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198663 )

I wish (and hope) to see Toyota/Lexus/Acura match the style of vehcle that GM is coming out with in the 2007 Saturn Outlook/GMC Acadia/Buick Enclave. I am not a GM fan but I believe a full-size unibody SUV with plenty of room and 3 rows with improved gas milage will be a win.
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.efcecf4/61
  • davesuvdavesuv Member Posts: 149
    Things have been awfully quiet from Toyota for a new model HL launch this fall. They are either very good at keeping secrets, or the new model won't come out until sometime next year. With the new RAV4, they are obviously poised to redo the HL. They are also facing some stiff competition from the new 2007 Santa Fe, just now starting to show up in dealerships. My money is on a carryover for this fall with an early rollout of the New 2008 HL in the spring or summer next year. All this prognosticating won't make a bit of difference, but the anticipation sure is fun though :)
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I respect the fact that everyone has an opinion. I'm just not sure what this one is trying to accomplish.
  • dysdys Member Posts: 11
    According to Aug.2006 Motortrend, the FT-SX is for a NEW cross-over IN ADDITION to the Highlander due out 2008 or 2009.
  • goldstongoldston Member Posts: 110
    I was at the Motortrend website and found the follow under the heading of future vehicles:

2008 Toyota Highlander: Redesigned on the Avalon platform, growing larger in size to make room for the RAV4.

I'm curious DYS if you can direct me to the area where it states that the redesign will be based on the FT-SX? I'd love to read up about it because we have two Highlanders (2001 & 2002) and would love to trade up to the new redesign model.

Thanks for you help.
  • mevandemevande Member Posts: 190
    It's clear everywhere you look, the 2007 Highlander WILL change, full makeover. See link prev. posted and there are other references .. ie right here on Edmunds in the future vehicles section re: 2007 Highlander (have to look a little for it). It will not be your Dads Highlander (its about time!.. tired old design).
    The references are everywhere re: a total makeover for the Highlander. Why the denial here??????? :confuse:
    I am not denying it. I never did.
    Yo Mevande, I NEVER said anything about the Highlander not being redesigned. I ask dys for reference to the claim the Highlander will be Toyota's "FT-SX", somehow you think that because I ask questions about the redesign this is some form of "denial". Man you're reading way to much into my request for more information.
    As shared, the facts point to a re-design of the Highlander is overdue and the facts also point to the fall of this year. Toyota is trying to hold any data for it would stall (might) sales of existing Highlanders. The links shared on this site (overall sites here on Edmunds from people in the forum to Edmunds 'future' vehicles point to a new design that will be 'lower' (makes sense, styling and fuel economy). It will be fun to see what happens!
    Hello, I just spoke w/ an old friend who turns out to be a Toyota zone manager (have not talked for years.. he moved ect). He shared Toyota is not done w/ the redesign and will bring it (complete new SUV, still named Highlander) out in the spring/early summer of 2007 as a 2008 model. Just and FYI.
    Thanks Mevande,

I'm looking forward to the resign. I've owned several Toyotas and currently own a 2001 & 2002 Highlander (both are great vehicles) and the timing of the new Highlanders will work well with swapping out both H/L's for a couple of new ones.
  • dysdys Member Posts: 11
    I saw it in the printed version of Motortrend. Sorry have not found it online yet.
    Hey Dys,

Thanks for looking, I've been looking too and hoping to find something. I'm looking forward to the redesign.
  • minyizminyiz Member Posts: 2
    Hi..

i am looking for a Highlander 4Cyc, but deals are not showing no upcoming inventory for the 2006 model. what does that mean? 2007 will be coming out soon? Any news on the 2007 Highlander???

Thanks in advance.
    No news on the 2007, except it's not expected to be a redesign; redesign is expected for the '08 model year, possibly to be released early, in mid '07.

Typically new model year HLs show up on dealer lots in September (or very late August at the earliest), so given we're in July it's not surprising Toyota isn't apparently shipping any more '06s.

Does your dealer not have the ability to search inventory of other dealers for 4 cyls?
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    I am hoping that Toyota will fit the 3.5 V6 and Gen 5 Nav into Highlander. It will be a great bargin if they do it given all the discount available now. However, if they are going to redesign it in 08 with early spring release date. We may be stuck with the same SUV with no change unitl then. Would love to hear more about the 07...
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    It's marketing.

The new Highlander is the step sister to the Lexus Rx just as the ES takes 2nd place to the Camry. The Rx is Lexus' primary vehicle so it is always first to market ( right now ).

The Rx300 was on the market for 2 yrs before the Highlander.
    The Rx400h was out before the Hybrid Highlander.
    The Rx350 is out now and the new Highlander ( with the 3.5L ) will not be out until the 2008 MY.

I am nearly certain that there will be no 4c Highlander in the future... but the new Hybrid Highlander might be the 'base' model ( the least expensive ). The new RAV covers the spot held previously by the base model 4c Highlander, which was a dog so to speak.

The timing of the launch of the new Highlander is problematic in that it is due at the same time as the new Tundra and Sequoia. For that reason I see it possibly as being launched about this time next year.
  • aygayg Member Posts: 1
    Hello, does anyone know if the new Highlander (FT-SX) will be offered with third row seats? The concept doesn't show it? If it isn't I'm be waiting for the wrong vehicle. Thanks.
  • buildtopicbuildtopic Member Posts: 2
    http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060815/FREE/60814015/1041/r- ss01&rssfeed=rss01

Highlander: The redesigned 2008 Highlander will move to the new Avalon platform, which means it will move up in size closer to the Honda Pilot and Ford Explorer.

FT-SX: This large crossover, arriving in summer 2008, is intended to be more stylish than the Chrysler Pacifica. Toyota thinks this is the segment where boomer SUV buyers are headed. And since their kids are grown up, the vehicle will be offered only with five-passenger seating.

The 2009 FT-SX will be slightly taller than a Volvo XC70 and an Audi Allroad. It likely will be assembled at the Princeton, Ind., plant alongside the Sienna. The FT-SX will have the Avalon's 3.5-liter V-6 and a six-speed automatic transmission.
  • ralph9ralph9 Member Posts: 88
    Where do you all think this concept car will fall in regard to cost? Is it expected to be the top of the line sedan for Toyota, exceeding the cost of the Avalon? Based on the sketchy autoweek info it appears that it may be out of reach of my pay grade/pension. Ralph
    I thought it was the code name for the new Highlander ( same time frame ). I too was intrigued by the article because it seems to imply that the FT-SX will be a different crossover vehicle. How many of these can there be?
  • ralph9ralph9 Member Posts: 88
    "Upon further review" as stated by NFL refs, the concept car is listed as a "crossover" vehicle which is not a wagon, minivan or suv. The Autoweek writer believes that it's designed to replace the Camry wagon which went bye-bye many years ago. here on the Edmunds site they list the vehicle as a 2008 Highlander, yet I've seen forecasts for the 2008 Highlander which are similar to the current one with the 2007 model year being skipped over. Toyota might consider calling the new vehicle the "Platypus" since it seems to be a confused concept. I live in Colorodo and I was disappointed when Toyota stopped making the AWD Camry. It was the perfect vehicle for us and I never went the Subaru route. The concept car looks like the Chrysler Pacifica.
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    According to MOtortrend, this crossover created to replace ill selling solara as a personal crossover. (:confuse:)
    curiouser and curiouser..
    Toyota.com has been updated for the '07 Highlander, the '07 Highlander brochure is available, and '07 Highlanders are starting to arrive in dealer showrooms!

As expected no major design change -- the biggest difference nearest I can see via a brief perusal of the exterior and interior is the chrome "Limited" badge that's on the front fender has been moved to the rear door, and the Hybrid now sports a chrome "Hybrid" badge on the front fender.
    Side and curtain airbags are standard on all trims. It used to be that you had to get the V6 4WD in order to get the SC A/B.

Also regular unleaded is recommended iso premium.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    It used to be that you had to get the V6 4WD in order to get the SC A/B.

Well, my 05 HL Limited V6 2WD has side curtain air bags. Bought new in AZ. Perhaps not to much need for 4WD here.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    Hey if the 2007 highlander is out does that mean the highlander will be redesigned in spring 07 as a 08 model.
    I think it'll be a full year from now - for two reasons..

The Tundra will be the center of everything Toyota for the next 9 months. I heard that this launch will be the biggest ever in Toyota's history - bigger even than the Lexus launch.

Also it allows the Rx350 to take center stage for an entire year without it's less expensive sibling taking away attention.
    How come the current generation highlander as been out since 2001 and Toyota is taking so long to release the next generation highlander.
    See my post right above yours...

Also it allows the Rx350 to take center stage for an entire year without it's less expensive sibling taking away attention.

The Rx350 is Lexus' prime moneymaker and No 1 vehicle. The Highlander is the Toyota buyer's version. Both are essentially the same save the niceties, the Lexus experience and the panache. Toyota/Lexus have to allow the RX to have the spotlight to itself for a while... say a year ... then the Highlander comes on stage.
    When do you believe we will see pictures of what the next generation Highlander will look like.
    Early-mid 2007. Best guesstimate.