Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    Is there a way to check on availability of the '08 at local dealers without having to call each of them?

I'm interested in showing the ICE version Highlander to my wife to determine if we should order the hybrid or scratch the highlander from our short list.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The quick answer is NO, there is no way to check availibility at one central place. Toyota dealers can do it somewhat but even that is 'subject to prior and current sales'.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    Ok, for $28,000 or whatever the highlander base model is starting out at why doesn't Toyota not make powerseats on the driverside standard.
    Maybe, seriously, to differentiate it from the Limited V6 RAV which does have it. By giving it to the RAV it makes the Ltd RAV more attractive. Similar question how can the $38,000 Avalon not have Bluetooth when a $25,000 Camry does? Like a $27,000 Prius or RAV does?

In all the Toyota lines the top trim of the smaller vehicle overlaps in feature content with the bottom trim of the larger vehicle.
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    Well, the top of the line CRV doesn't have power seats so I'm not surprised that the entry level Highlander doesn't have them either.
  • microbustmicrobust Member Posts: 56
    Any sightings at dealerships? None here is NorCal. I have been told mid-next week.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    Dealer here in Pittsburgh says they will also come in middle end of next week (although this particular dealer is only getting 2 of them). They have already driven a couple (maybe training sessions?), and seem to like them much more than the older models (doesn't surprise me that they would say that ;)
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    It helps to differentiate between the trim levels. The Sport has an 8-way power driver's seat and the Limited has a 10-way power driver's seat.

My 2005 4Runner Sport Edition doesn't have power seats. It wasn't that big a deal for me, though it does feel a bit primitive having to reach under or around the seat to move it.

When you look at feature overlap, consider that the RAV4 has LED tail lamps. The Highlander doesn't (at least they don't look like LEDs).

The Highlander has Bluetooth and the smart-key on the Limited; the more expensive Lexus RX doesn't.

The slightly more expensive 4Runner requires Navigation for the Bluetooth and rear-view camera, and doesn't have the smart-key or power rear door. It does, however, have projector headlamps and LED tails.
  • ravidravid Member Posts: 1
    Saturday I saw a '08 Highlander at Peterson Toyota in Boise ID.
    A Sport version 4x4 with leather/sound/sunroof some other small stuff, $37K.
    Looks real good, no brochures yet at the dealer. More rolling in Wednesday.....
  • pabloxpablox Member Posts: 92
    For that price, I could buy a base MDX.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Get sumpin' better.:surprise:

DrFill
    Huh?
    A base MDX is better than a loaded HL.

Haven't heard the case for that yet. Maybe that's not the case?

DrFill
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Haven't heard the case against it either. Maybe it is the case?

I think most would believe the base MDX or RX350 to be better than a loaded Highlander or Pilot. You normally have to load either up to approach the features of base models of the luxury brands not to mention you get better warranties, service, etc.
    It remains to be seen how well the 08 Highlander drives but I doubt it'll drive as well as the MDX. Also, a base MDX comes quite well equipped. About the only feature a loaded Highlander would have over a base MDX is NAV. So, the tradeoff becomes a good suspension/handling for NAV.

Also, the service experience at an Acura dealer would likely be better than at a Toyota dealer. Of course, both will probably be reliable enough that it won't be a big deal either way.

Anyway, if you're shopping for a new Highlander or CX9, a base MDX is worth looking at also since they seem to be selling for less than invoice.
    the previous post saying $37k for a Sport with leather, sunroof, etc. That's not a fully loaded HL. That's a midline HL.
    One thing to keep in mind -- we're comparing MSRP of the Highlander to a base MDX selling below invoice. Once the initial demand levels off and the supply increases, it'll be a different comparison.

Also, there are things on the Highlander that require an option package on the MDX -- the rear-view camera, Bluetooth, power liftgate, etc. Any of those option packages will push you into the $40K range.

Don't get me wrong: I think the MDX is a great vehicle (and so is the RX). But for the configuration I'm looking at, and based on Lexus and Acura dealer pricing in my area, I'm looking at around $36K (MSRP) for a Highlander Limited 2WD versus $40K+ for the RX or MDX.
    However, I need to buy one of them before the end of the year and I'm working on the assumption that the HL will sell at MSRP for most of that. The HL would still win on price if I can get one configured how I want it but I'm not sure that's possible.

So, that's a segue to another question. How does "ordering" work with Toyota? I went through the configurator I posted before and specced out a Sport 4x4 with a certain set of options. The list I came up with is valid per the configurator but my local dealer says I can't get that car.

Does anyone know how this works? The last three cars I've bought were an Audi A4 (they allow exact ordering), a Subaru Legacy GT (there are no options hence no ordering) and a VW Passat which was bought off the lot. Toyota seems like a completely different deal than any of them where they list a bunch of options that are vaporware of sorts.
  • hightechguruhightechguru Member Posts: 10
    I was able to configure a 2008 Highlander on cars.com today and see the dealer invoice pricing.
    Do you mind sharing the zip code you used?
    Thanks for the info. I added up two configs based on what I want (of course, YMMV).

A Sport 2WD with 3rd row seat; leather; JBL w/Bluetooth; Homelink; auto-front and rear air; security; power back door comes out to $34,770 including destination charge.

A Limited 2WD with optional JBL w/Bluetooth; auto-rear air; power back door; rear spoiler comes out to $35,160. Both prices are MSRP.

It seems like if you want leather, the Limited is a better deal. The only two Limited-only features I can think of are the smart key and the plood (plastic wood :) ) trim, but that's worth the $400 difference to me.
    The base model is $27000+.. the midline is ~$32000+...the Limited is ~$37000 ( navi adds $1800 and RES adds another $1600 )
    So, that's a segue to another question. How does "ordering" work with Toyota? I went through the configurator I posted before and specced out a Sport 4x4 with a certain set of options. The list I came up with is valid per the configurator but my local dealer says I can't get that car.

The pricing and the packages depend on your local region. It's impossible to mix and choose options unless they are stand alone. Then it depends on that region's willingness to be flexible. Some may make the Moonroof part of a package and refuse to allow it to be ordered alone on a base 2WD for example. Other regions may have a different policy.

Which are your 'key' features that you must have? which ones do you absolutely refuse to have on a vehicle?
    If you're talking 4x4's, base MSRP is $28.7k, sport is $31.4k and ltd is $34.1k. MSRP for NAV is $2500 which includes the JBL and bluetooth.
    Based on this configurator:

http://configurator.setbuyatoyota.com/ie4_page.asp?host=www.toyozone.com&dealer_code=01007&carname=highlander

There are a lot of standalone options. Forinstance, the sunroof (which I don't want) is a standalone. In addition, NAV (as a package with JBL) is listed as available on the sport. My local dealer tells me that's not the case.

This configurator is for the south and I live in New England. Will these standalone options be part of a package in New England or will they be portrayed the same way? Based on what I see of 2007 models (like a RAV4 or whatever) there's no difference in how they are portrayed but what is actually available seems to be different.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Is a totally different animal than the rest of the US. Basing configurations or pricing on any assumptions stemming from an SET configurator is a wasted exercise.
    Will these standalone options be part of a package in New England or will they be portrayed the same way?

Each distributor/region orders their vehicles differently. This includes the packaging of options. So even though "in theory" there are a lot of individual options, a distributor will often "bundle" options into their own "standard" configurations.

A good example is my region, Hawaii. If you look at the Hawaii site for the 2007 Highlander, you'll see the configurations that my region orders. For example, if you want alloy wheels, you have to get privacy glass, even though, in theory, both are standalone options from the factory.

I haven't seen my region's configurations for the 2008 model, but I know that there will probably be at least one option I'll be forced to buy (i.e. heated seats) since that's the only way to get my "must-have" options.
    Ok, be that as it may, cars.com now has the info for my zipcode and they list the same options with the same prices as SET.
    Ok, this is what I was wondering about. I guess I'll have to try to find a cooperative dealer.
    The Limited has "Front Dual Zone Auto Climate Control with Air Filter", while there is the option for "CFC-free rear digital climate control system with multi-function display and air filter."

Does this mean that without the option there will be no A/C vents for the 2nd and 3rd rows, or rather that the A/C just can't be controlled from the 2nd row? And relatedly, does "dual zone" refer to first/2nd row or driver/passenger?

Hopefully, there are vents in the 2nd and 3rd rows as it doesn't seem like a good idea to try to cool the back with just the front vents.
  • stewartbstewartb Member Posts: 7
    My dealer got their first '08 HL today. Once it has been thru the service dept. it will be ready for test drive. Here are a few pics I took with my phone...
    http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5894/dsc00057cm7.jpg
    http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/4223/dsc00059ho7.jpg
    http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/6365/dsc00060mq3.jpg
    http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/5818/dsc00061ym3.jpg
    http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5836/dsc00062af9.jpg
    Can someone please post some REAL pictures of a Blue Streak Metallic HL?
  • hightechguruhightechguru Member Posts: 10
    I used a los Angeles area zipcode. 91326 & 90036
  • ocg35manocg35man Member Posts: 52
    Thanks for Pics stewartb! Pic quality is pretty decent
    for phone-camera! Technology is getting better and better.

Just by looking at those pics, it looks much larger than
    my 02 Highlander. :)
    You can get rear manual AC as an option. I bet it'll be in most 3 row HL's that dealers order.
    Thanks Stewart. Those are quite good for a phone.

Here's a video of the new HL I found on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8w1Dtx5pqI
    From the rear of the vehicle is sweet! Never fails to impress the people.

DrFill
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    What is the price of that highlander that your dealer receieved?
  • stewartbstewartb Member Posts: 7
    I think it was ~$36000.
    It takes nice pictures. Good price for one too. :)

DrFill
    Does the 2008 have A/C vents standard for all 3 rows of seating, or do you have to order one of the rear seat A/C options? I can't tell from manual or pictures that exist on the Web.
    I noticed on the Toyota manual site, it states that the HL with rear AC controls uses more antifreeze than the one without. This tells me there's a rear heater core (and probably a rear condensor). If you don't order rear AC controls there may well be vents but I doubt they'll work as well. That's not a direct answer but I'd recommend ordering the rear controls.
    The '07 had a seperate rear heater, but no A/C.

DrFill
    It seems to me that it would be a good idea to have A/C vents for each of the 3 rows--much like central air. I took a look around the Toyota lot yesterday and the 2007 Highlander only had vents in front, while the 4 Runner model had vents for its 2 rows, and the Sequoia and Sienna had vents for all 3 rows. If anyone has access to a new Highlander, it would be great if you could check if 3 row vents are standard or must be an option. Thanks.
  • chiefychiefy Member Posts: 1
    Will satellite radio be offered in the HL?
  • scottgbwiscottgbwi Member Posts: 85
    Hey Shimmmer, If you are still interested, the one I test drove is still sitting on the lot w/a sold sign. They must be just keeping it sold and on display. Not sure if they allow test drives once it's sold. Noticed it when I picked up the Highlander brochure.
  • shimmer11shimmer11 Member Posts: 28
    Sounds good Scottgbwi. I would not want someone to drive my SOLD vehicle! Oh well, the dealers around here (S. WI) should be getting them in tomorrow. I had a brochure on Saturday when I went to another dealer, and they did not even have it!

-Andy
  • secondrigsecondrig Member Posts: 21
    Well, they said today was the launch, and it seems to have started with a commercial. On GMA, Toyota ran a pretty cute ad highlighting the back-up camera as a parking tool. I really like the look of the new front and rear, but from the side it sure does look like a minivan.
  • shimmer11shimmer11 Member Posts: 28
    Very nice secondrig.

When will the toyota.com web page be updated? I thought today was the day? Oh well.

-Andy
  • twinpowertwinpower Member Posts: 8
    Do all trim levels of the new Highlander have a 1 piece 3rd row? Or is their a split seat available? It seems as though nearly all of the competition has a split 3rd row... and I think it gives a lot more versatility.

Thanks - Mike
    it's always a one piece. Personally, I'm tempted to get the 3rd row delete.