Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2006+

Comments

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    There is ample evidence that VW's manufactured in Pennsylvania were of far worse quality than the VW's produced in Mexico. VW had to finally just shut the U.S. plant down.

The Westmoreland facility was closed over 20 years ago. The quality methods used and quality expected by the marketplace was no where close to today's standards in place in Mexico.

According to this article:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3165/is_n12_v23/ai_6247455

UAW workers in Westmoreland achieved the same quality as in then West Germany.

The reason for closing the plant was lack of sales - by 1987 VW sales in the US had dropped dramatically and the plant was running at less than 30% capacity. VW couldn't afford to keep the plant open.
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    VW's PR department did a good job with the American press back then, didn't they. If you go back and read some of the car magazines and consumer magazines of the '80's, you'll find that the quality of the U.S. assembled VW's was comparable to the quality of domestic products--not good in those days. If indeed the quality did eventually improve to the level of the West German VW products, it was too late. The decline in VW's sales was partially due to quality problems at the Pennsylvania plant. In fact, the stigma was so bad, VW dropped the Rabbit nameplate and started using the international Golf nameplate in the U.S. to signify that the car was no longer made in the USA. Yes, standards and expectations are much higher these days, but back in the '80's the Westmoreland fiasco precipitated the tarnishing of VW's previously well-earned reputation for quality products. That, like the infamous Audi unintended acceleration fiasco concocted by the American press, damaged VW/Audi just as the Japanese automakers were getting it together and getting it done right.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    IMHO - although quality at Westmoreland was on par with West Germany, it was no longer on par with what Japan was able to attain around that time. IIRC, that's when domestics started losing ground as well. Europe and the domestics stood still while Japan moved ahead. How many other European brands left North America in the late 80's/early 90's - everyone but MB, Volvo, Saab, and BMW. Fiat, Rover, MG, Triumph, Peugot, Citroen et al all left because their "European" quality wasn't up to snuff.

But to compare the quality of Westmoreland from 20 years ago to the quality of Mexico today is a poor comparison. That would be akin to comparing the quality of Japan from the 1950's to the 1990's - it's not a valid comparison.

The quality of today's VW's from Mexico is on par to the quality of VW's from Germany or Brazil. The products and processes are developed so they can be transplanted anywhere. Location and human involvement are the least important factors in the manufacturing process - the latter being negated by training. I feel the same way about Asian marques as well - I've never owned a Japanese made Honda, only NA made and all have been high quality products.
  • jtaguejtague Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a cargo net today for my jetta and can't for the life of me figure out where to hook it. can anyone help me?
  • jdhebert23jdhebert23 Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the pics, driver365. From the side, the car almost looks like a Mercedes C-Class wagon. IMHO, and only what I could tell in the pics, the back reminds me of a cross between a (VERY) mini-Touareg and an older Hyundai Elantra wagon. Does anyone else share this opinion?
  • timmbojtimmboj Member Posts: 123
    Wonder if they will offer the Sportswagon in the GLI trim? I was testdriving the GTI and my sales person mentioned the Jetta GLI as an option. He said GLI trim comes with the same feature content as the GTI. I'm assuming the wagon would have more space than the GTI. Does anyone have any specifics on the future wagon? Ooh, one more question, is the Jetta simply the sedan version of a Rabbit/GTI?
  • cdoeschercdoescher Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to disable the speed warning? At first I thought it was the winter tire warning, but I checked it and it is turned off. The warning dings and displays "Speed 45 mph exceeded" every time I go over 45 mph. It is really annoying and I cant find anything about this in the manual.
  • vwguild1vwguild1 Member Posts: 98
    You just are not looking in the right place...It is part of the Multi-Function Computer settings...
  • driver_365driver_365 Member Posts: 3
    The power of this wagon is 175hp, which is a whopping 20hp increase from a jetta sedan.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I drove a Jetta Fahrenheit the other day...

I've been looking for a used car and didn't find anything interesting. Earlier in the day I drove a BMW 325i (2002) with a 5spd (non sport). It drove nice and handled really well but there was a definite lack of "oomph" in acceleration. It left me wanting more.

On my way back to work (lunch break) I stopped by and drove the Jetta Fahrenheit...what an amazing vehicle.

It handled much better than the 325;(the bimmer was the prev-gen...but still). The acceleration was also much better...plus there were two more people in the VW.

We hit twisties with multiple elevation changes and there was never any over-steer or torque steer. The car did not seem front heavy at all. The DSG was amazing; I had to learn to keep the gas down...bad habit of lifting throttle when shifting (hard to unlearn manual tendencies). Even from a stop there was no torque steer. If I didn't know I never would have guessed it was FWD.

The 325 was much smoother at higher rpm 5000+ but the VW had a nice exhaust note that was more noticeable at lower rpms. It sounded nice and throaty.

It even came with launch control (and of course we tested that out)...perfect wheel spin.

The interior was really well laid out with nice quality. The car had absolutely no creaks and no body flex...even with the low profile tires and the aggressive driving. The size of the interior is large enough for all but the largest of people.

the bad...
    I had expected more equipment for the price...such as power seats, auto climate control (although those are options I'd personally leave off of the check list)
    ...the price was 27K...
    at that price there are a number of other automobiles (new and used) that are very competitive. If they were asking 24 and the price was negotiable I would have been tempted to write a check.

Overall it left me with a "WOW" impression.
  • flaflyboyflaflyboy Member Posts: 6
    YEAH! right front hubcap!
    looking quite common! not just on jettas too, theres this beatle in my apartment complex missing its, yep you guessed it, right front hubcap as well. Maybe its hitting speed bumps, prolly not, i BABY that car.

anyhoo.. i found at pep boys a replacement hubcap that looks real close to the original. nobody notices! and dirt cheap there too! just missing its VW emblem. food for thought.
  • 7thvwaudi7thvwaudi Member Posts: 8
    drove a few 2008s and compared to the 2007s.. not much of an ooomph difference.. the torque changes from 170lb-ft to 177 lb-ft only... the oomph factor is un-noticeable...
  • driver_365driver_365 Member Posts: 3
    you should compare sedan to sedan. the heavier weight of the wagon affects acceleration.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    I've driven an 08SE and noticed a huge gap in acceleration between gears 2and 3. Ultra smooth going from 1-2 but a gap in 2-3. Has anyone else noticed this? IS it there on the older models?

Cant comment on the right front as the SE i drove had alloys. Besides, I'd rather pay the few extra $$$ for the alloys. Not only do they look better, but they also don't fall off in obscene places. (without a huge accident)

I want to drive the 06&08 TDI back to back. If there isn't a huge difference, I'd get the 06 (IF I CAN FIND ONE! and one thats neither white nor silver)

-Cj
  • jgassawayjgassaway Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know a case where the manual adjustable seat was converted to a power seat. Any information greatly appreciated.
  • raymondl1166raymondl1166 Member Posts: 7
    can some one guide me to a site where i can buy parts for my vw jetta ??
    raymondl1166
  • sharkey420sharkey420 Member Posts: 2
    I'm not sure. In fact they are already out. Just go to www.VW.com. Now dose anyone know where to go to get a owners manual for a 2006 VW Jetta? I purchased the vehicle and it didn't come with the Owners manual. And I cant find one anywhere. Dose anyone know how to get a owners Manual for a 2006 VW Jetta? It would be a big help.
  • sharkey420sharkey420 Member Posts: 2
    I need a owners Manual for a 2006 vw Jetta. How do I find one?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Have you tried eBay?
  • homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    This string is very quiet - does that mean everyone is as happy with their Jetta as I am? I have a 2007 Jetta Base, 5 spd, and it's a great car. I've had it for a year, 16K miles. I drive 16 miles each way to work, much on an interstate, and I average 26MPG. The car handles great, fast enough, and actually rides smoother on I-35 than did a Chrysler 300C. (At $3/gal, I'm glad I bought the VW and not the Hemi.)

Is anyone having mechanical problems?
  • jchagtdijchagtdi Member Posts: 55
    YES!! I own an 06 Jetta 2.5 5 speed pkg 1. Logged 55,000 miles since I bought it 15 months ago, and it's been absolutely TROUBLEFREE. I can't say the same about my last car, an 03 Accord. My only regreat is that I could have waited a year and got the SE package with the same equipment as my car for $2500 lower MRRP.

Favorite features:

Extremely comfortable seats-- were these seats designed my a chiropractor? Crank up the seat heaters to level 5, and you have a therapy seat for a tired back. Leatherette fools everyone and is extremetly easy to clean. My yellow lab is my most frequent back seat passenger, and seats clean up will little effort
    Car is extremely stable at high speed, and the ride/ handling mix is perfect. Extremely roomy cabin. Engine is not a barn burner, but is gusty enough for me because of the ample torque. I'm very happy with my MPG, too. I upgraded to 17 inch aftermarket wheels, and average 28 MPG with 70% highway driving 70-75 MPH.

I love the unique touches not usually found at this price point like the interior mood lighting, the "tap to pass" blinkers, "smart" wipers that stop wiping when in intermittent mode and you come to a stop. the trunk is HUGE!! Seriously, it's actually kind of humorous when you see how much gear the trunk can swallow.

I get a LOT of positive comments about the looks of the car in Wheat Beige with the 17 in rims, rear spoiler, and dark window tint.

The interior material and the overal fit and finish are amazing for a car at this price

Dislikes:

Isolation from wind and road noise could be better. The clutch takes a while to get used to. I have driven manual trans. cars for my entire life, but the Jetta can be tough to launch. After 55k miles, I've got it down, but I would stall the car at least weekly for the first 30k miles! The steering is also a little odd. The on center feel is not good. I find that I'm always compensating when trying to drive straight on the freeway. This bothers me the most, and if improved would make the Jetta a homerun.

Overall, the Jetta is a screaming bargain! The overall driving experience is very rich and engaging, and I love every moment behind the wheel. The interior has anextremely rich feeling, and the overall felling is one of a much more expensive car.

Did I mention the car has been trouble free? My Accord was in the shop 4 times in the first 6 months I owned it. Built cheaply with lousy materials that kept breaking. The Jetta feels like it is built to last. I just hope the 2.5 engine is durable enough to be trouble free to 200k.

Jeff
    Congrats with the Jetta!! My jetta has been put on hold probably until October 2008. Hopefully by that time I can try the new TDI if VW stops pushing the date back... :mad:
    Luckily, my accord has been Great until now.

If i could get any jetta, It'd be the 05-07 in Northsea green or new in Salsa Red w/beige or that Dark blue color that had a name change.

I was heavily debating on a TDI but now i'm to the point where if one I like is available, I'll get it. Otherwise, I'll get the 2.5 that I like. I just want my next car to have better MPG than my current car(1995 Honda Accord EX V6).

Currently, I'm averaging 18mpg 90%city. I have a huge 17gallon tank and before my odometer broke, I could go about 260miles on a tank of gas... BUT at fillup, it stops at about 12gallons which brings me to my question.

The jetta has a 14.5 gallon tank but how much do you actually put in when you go fillup from near E? Whats the MPG like? And is there a big performance difference on the 2005.5-2007 vs the 2008 with +20hp?

-Cj
    CJ-

I, too, was holding out for an 09 CleanTDI Jetta, but I couldn't hold my breath any longer. Last night I took delivery of an 08 Jetta 2.5 SE Auto Salsa Red with Beige Leatherette!

My 06 2.5 5 speed (with 17 inch after market wheels) gave me 27-29 MPG with 80% highway at 75-80 MPH. I often got 30-31 driving more conservatively BEFORE I bumped the wheel size up. A co-worker has an 07 Wolfsburg Auto and gets 29-31 regularly. I can't report on the MPG on the 08 yet as I'm still on my first tank.

The low fuel light comes on when there is 1.5 - 1.8 gallons left in the tank. If I stretched it "Kramer" style, I would go 70 or so miles after the light came on. I tear up when I think about the 03 Golf TDI I had...drove from Boston MA to Yorktown VA on a single tank of diesel once. 600 + miles to a tank always.

The peformance difference is hard to feel because my 06 was a stick and the 08 is an automatic. The auto is smart and shifts great especially in Sport mode, but the PZEV designation makes takeoff painful...it's hard to launch the car smoothly...not enough juice and nothing happens...too much and you screech the tires. I've only had the car for a day, so I'm sure I'll get used to it. I noticed the same thing when driving my parent's PZEV Toyota in Florida this summer. You need to drop the hammer hard in order to accelerate from a stop. Maybe this is just an auto tranny thing? My 08 Jetta is the first auto tranny car I've owned since 1999.
    :surprise: Congrats on the jetta :D !! Its pretty much my favorite jetta color after the discontinued green... :cry:

Thanks for the information! So you went from an 06 to 08? Wow! Its a pain to get my dad to go from an 03 expedition to something that doesn't cost $80 to up the tank every week :sick: . Did i mention its his daily driver and he has on max 4passengers on a random triweekly friday eve. But I'm still working on that with him(even with no progress whatsoever :sick: )

I cant wait until i have one of my own! Or maybe a rabbit as i think I'll need a hatch in the future. Too bad rabbits dont come with at least leatherette :angry: but i can still get those heated seats on the 4door model.

As a (dreams of being a) future edmunds employee, I should say that you should/could rate your dealership experience. Oh and to write a review on you new car in about a week! Also adding pictures/videos to your carspace is a good option as not many jetta things are there and i luv drooling at jettas :blush: .

-Cj
    LOL, good job autoboy!! :D

Let's provide some links to go along with your excellent recommendations:

Dealer Ratings & Reviews

Consumer Vehicle Ratings & Reviews

and everyone can access their CarSpace page using the handy dandy "My CarSpace" link on the upper left. :shades:
    Thanks! :P

I accept Cash checks and money orders ;) jk

I'd so work at edmunds but thats about a 42hr drive literally across country. Hopefully, edmunds will have an East coast HQ in the future! Still, its an interesting idea for a road trip.... :blush:

-Cj
    There's an east coast "hq" right here in my house. :P You can share the cash, checks and money orders right here. :shades:
    You can fit a ton more stuff in the trunk on the Jetta than in the Rabbit. And then there's the Leatherette... I have a Yellow Lab and we take weekend trips to the dog park. Sometimes he jumps in the back seat covered in mud when we're done, and it takes all of 10 minutes to clean it up. Don't try this with cloth upholstery :P

I wanted an 08 SE for the auto trans and upgraded interior and exterior bits. The dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I had my 06 for exactly 15 months and put 53,000 miles on it, Because the 08 SE was about $2500 less than my 06 2.5 pkg 1, I was able to get into the 08 for not a lot of money. Only downside is I now have another 6 year car loan. :sick:

I'm feeling melancholy about giving up the stick shift though... I miss having the control and the sporty feel of shifting myself.

Just got the windows tinted today... dark. I'll take some pics tomorrow and put them up on carspace. Now I need to find a set of hot rims and a GLI lower rear valance (with reflectors). Also need to decide on the Wing or lip spoiler.
    With salsa read, i like the wing. On other cars, its the lip. Vw's website build a car should allow u a general idea of how each looks on the actual car.

for my unpurchased jetta, i want the euro taillights. I'm not sure how they look on the red, but they look good with silver (which i despise), discon. green, black, and blue.

for viewing entertainment, i suggest covering keyboard in saran wrap:

-Cj
  • nyjettanyjetta Member Posts: 2
    I have an 06 Jetta TDI and have the same problem. How do you reset the light? I want to be able to change my own oil and reset it without having to take it in. They sure know how to keep you coming back.
    Check here and scroll down until the pictures. Is that the light you were refering to?

-cj
  • nyjettanyjetta Member Posts: 2
    Yeh , that helped and saved me alot of time. Thanks. That is something that they should put in the owners manual but we all know that the dealers want you to bring it to them so they can charge you for it. What a crock.
    no problem!

Hey if anyone has cash, checks, money orders, or extra vehicles to share, hit me up! I'm suffering from after new years/christmas blues... :sick:

Hey on a jetta testdrive i did, is that clicking in the engine supposed to be normal? I heard it on a few cars on the lot. They were all 08s though.

What did VW do to get the 170hp from the 2.5? I may just end up with a 2006 jetta, but not anytime soon. This is like after september advice.

-Cj
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    What did VW do to get the 170hp from the 2.5?

This was more than likely accomplished via ECU (Electronic Control Unit) software upgrade to add the 20 hp and raise the redline from 5900 rpm to 6300 rpm.
  • germanboygermanboy Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know if and how I can upgrade my 2006 2.5 Jetta from 150hp to 170hp using some chip (ECU upgrade)?
  • germanboygermanboy Member Posts: 9
    I just read this at "Carpages.ca":

"Volkswagen answered this concern by adding variable valve control to what is essentially the same 2.5-litre 5-cylinder engine, adding 20 horsepower and 7 lb-ft of torque to the new Rabbit."
    thanks! i guess thats why redline, mpg, and power went up. kinda sad the beetle stayed the same... but even worse it hasn't gotten redesigned in 10 years! I sketched 1, but i highly doubt vw would use it. Its a RR(rear engine rear drive) car. Pretty much the engine moved to the back and the driver is ahead of the center of the car and the roof slopes more but directly behind the rear seat. Then there was that stretched in every direction boxster with somewhat usable rear seat idea i had... but i just gave up on it.

With vws new 7speedDSG, think vw will offer it on th new tdi or base 2.5 or both?

-Cj
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    On our 2005.5 "new" Jetta, when you do a windshield wash, the wipers make an extra swipe after some delay. This is often annoying as when you are going slow or stopped it is not needed and sometimes just serves to smaer things. Can this be turned off by the dealer or using a Vag-Com? (we do not have the Multi-Function interface to change settings, I don't know if it is an option under that)
  • borasportborasport Member Posts: 4
    Hello,
    I want to know if removing my catalytic converter will reduce my performance, because I heard that this cars need some back pressure to operate properly.

thanks...
    I have a jetta 07.... do you think it is easy to install my car the variable valve control??
    I believe to have a car legally on the road it must pass emissions tests...which requires a catalytic converter.

Plus I think they're pretty expensive...so I wouldn't go throwing it in the trash.
    Well, I live in mexico so the legal part doesn't really matter... Actually I already removed the catalytic converter and did not throw it away, but the thing is that I don't know if it will damage my car in a long term. I heard that these car is pressurized or something like that, although not sure it is true. I mean... I would like to know the pros and cons of removing it.
    Well that is interesting. Why would you remove part of the exhaust system on a new car if you're concerned about long term reliability?

Not being an engineer...I don't think anything would be wrong with removing it. I think most cars would make a "little" more power with it removed...I don't think the ECU would adjust the fuel settings...i think there is a front O2 sensor for that (before cat).

However, I would expect the check engine light to stay lit.
    Well, I actually removed the catalytic converter to gain a little more hp, I also installed a new software in the ECU, I think is APR... so I think the combination of both things will work well.... and yes my check engine thing is lit up.
  • warhubwarhub Member Posts: 13
    I'm in the process of purchasing a new 08 GLI. I am having trouble deciding between a car with the 18" Hufeisen wheels with all-season tires or the 17" stock Denver wheels with all-season tires. I like the look of the 18" wheels better but I live near New York City and between the snow and the potholes, I'm unsure. The money isn't the issue but I don't have room to buy two sets of wheels. Given that I can only pick one, which is the way to go. Pros and cons? Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    17"

Pros: Cheaper, lighter, replacement tires are cheaper, less friction (possibly better gas mileage), less unsprung weight might actually mean better handling.

18"

Pros: Looks cool

I know, I know.... still a tough choice.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    When I bought my 2007 GLI, I was faced with the same decision. I chose the 17" Classix over the 18" Hufeisen. It might have been the choice of vehicles that I had since the ones with the 18" wheels required me to get the moonroof since they all had PKG 1. The one that I got only had DSG. I just couldn't justify spending more for a moonroof just to get bigger wheels. I haven't regretted my decision and look forward to driving my GLI every chance I can.

I'm sure the 18" wheels are great too, but I would only get them if I did not have to buy anything else.
  • warhubwarhub Member Posts: 13
    You're right...the 18's look better. How much more sidewall is there on an 17 over an 18? Are the 18's that much more likely to pick up a nail or blow out upon hitting a pothole?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    How much more sidewall is there on an 17 over an 18?

Exactly 1/2" more rubber between the road and the edge of the rim..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

This discussion has been closed.