Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Jetta 2006+

Comments

• Options
    crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    My wife actually did drive them back to back on Labor Day. I only tried the TSX and just a short distance. She felt the Acura handled a bit better, but she still likes the Jetta best. She also drove a Passat wagon and didn't like it at all. It's too bad there's not a new Jetta wagon, yet. I haven't really considered the TDI, though maybe I should.
  • Options
    ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    You may want to consider the Audi A3 if you're also considering a wagon.

A 4 year 50,000 maintenance free warranty plus the Audi service (mine was good)…free loaners etc.

A quick Edmunds pricing on the A3 with Auto shows 26K msrp and 23K invoice (obviously Audi’s can go higher with options). This is the 2.0T so you’re already “moving on up”
  • Options
    lmxlmx Member Posts: 35
    - A lot of standard features specially safety features incl. 8 airbags

WHERE DID YOU FOUND THE EXTRA 2 AIRBAGS?

THE SIDE CURTAIN PROTECTION ACTUALLY COUNTS FOR 2 AIRBAGS SO IN TOTAL THE CAR HAS 6 AIRBAGS.
  • Options
    johnnybgoodjohnnybgood Member Posts: 8
    >WHERE DID YOU FOUND THE EXTRA 2 AIRBAGS?

THE SIDE CURTAIN PROTECTION ACTUALLY COUNTS FOR 2 AIRBAGS SO IN TOTAL THE CAR HAS 6 AIRBAGS.

Six airbags are standard: dual front airbags, dual front side thorax airbags, and dual curtain airbags for both rows of passengers. Optional rear side thorax airbags = TOTAL 8.
  • Options
    jettalover33jettalover33 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2006 two days ago and LOVE it!! I got the blue graphite with package #1. I'm still a bit confused on all the options I have. I see that I don't have the multifunction trip computer with compass and no dual climate controls. That's fine - I didn't truly need those. One thing I noticed is that when enabling the alarm when locking the doors, it doesn't have that nice 'chirp' that the '05 I saw had. The horn beeps :( I guess this is another change on the '06? I also noticed that with the '05's, when you turned the radio down all the way to mute it would make a pretty audible 'beep' that sounds like you are on an airplane. This one does it but I can barely hear it. Anyone else experiencing this?? The only other thing I've noticed is a little wind noise on the driver's side too. Otherwise I love this car!!!! I came from a Honda Civic EX and it's night and day!!!
  • Options
    criskywalkercriskywalker Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone!

I'm looking to buy a 2006 Jetta 2.5 with Automatic Transmission and Package #1 plus Sirius satellite... the lowest price I've found so far is $20,919.... how much lower can I get?

Thanks!
  • Options
    cllawcllaw Member Posts: 32
    Hi All:

Just have a few question on the new Jetta and I hope you can help me out with that
    1: I went to dealer when the Jetta was first came out and the sales guy said there will be no DVD nav. system available for Jetta. However, I was check edmunds.com today. It is actually one of the option. the nav. option is not listed in vw.com as well. so I wonder the accruacy of the info.

2: I'm interested in get a 2 years /10,000 miles lease with VW. The MSRP is $25,779 and the taxes is paid upfront. Is there anyone can tell me how much would it cause me for the monthly lease payment?

Thanks

Alex
  • Options
    The horn/lights for the remote key lock is usually something that can be programmed by the dealer.

I think, at least in other models, that there are a number of features you can have enabled/disabled that use the key remote.
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    We are seriously thinking of buying this car. Does the car really have to have premium gasoline, or will 87 octane do? I'm not so sure I want a car that has to burn 92 octane.
    Thanks all.

The Sandman :)
  • Options
    jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    There is no GL...but the 2.5 engine does NOT require premium. We have put nothing but regular 87 octane in ours. It says right on the little door you open to get to the gas cap "min 87 octane".

The 2.0 turbo does require premium, I think
  • Options
    600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    With a combination of a turbo and an 11.5:1 compression ratio, the 2.0 liter definitely requires premium for best performance and economy.
  • Options
    Yes premium.

I read 10.3:1 compression, though still VERY high for a turbo; Subaru WRX is 8.0:1.
  • Options
    david55838david55838 Member Posts: 55
    Hi everyone,

I need a new car and have been looking at Accord, Mazda 6, Altima and of course Jetta. I drove a Value Edition and it really impressed me. I'm thinking of a regular 2.5 with Package 1. Are there lower profile tires on the 2.5 as opposed to the Value Edition? What are your thoughts on the ride over bumpy roads?

I'm a bit concerned about VW's reliability record compared to the others. Any thoughts are appreciated!! :confuse:

David
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    If you are concerned about reliablity, give the New Jetta at least a year in production before getting one. The '06 is due shortly, so maybe that would be ok.

It's not just VW, it's all manufacturers. Consumer Reports did a recent survey and even the Japanese companies took one or two years to get their defect rate down.

Finally, keep in mind that right now, Japanese cars generally have the fewest defects; then American cars (!); then German cars. VW is no worse than BMW or Mercedes, but BMW and Mercedes generally have better customer service so the pain of warranty visits is lessened.

That having been said, the New Jetta is one of the safest cars on the road - check the IIHS test reports, look at the standard safety equipment (side torso and side curtain airbags, ABS, stability control). It is also in a "mid size car" weight category now, not "compact car," which is the category recommended overall by the IIHS.

Second best in terms of safety is Honda Accord - ABS, side air bags, but no standard stability control.

The safe bet is the Accord, but the New Jetta is just a better driving experience. Once you've had a VW, its hard to go back to mediocre cars. Even with their worse repair record, VW has a lot of loyal customers for a reason.
  • Options
    The ride is a nice balance between handling and comfort.

The regular 2.5 has just slightly lower profile tires than the VE, but they are not super low profile...I think they are 55 series tires. 2.5 has 16 inch wheels, VE has 15 inch...since that is the diameter this means the 2.5 would have 1/2 inch less sidewall.

We did not really notice any difference in the ride or handling between the two.
  • Options
    As the owner of a 2005.5, I think this should be called Volkswagen Jetta 2005.5+ forum.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It is my understanding that the new generation was introduced with the 2006 MY. The Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier discussion should cover the 2005.5.
  • Options
    10:3:1 is correct. The direct injection in the 2.0T makes it possible to have that high of a compression ratio.
  • Options
    What is included in the Package 1. And I think that 87 octane is called for in this model.

• Options
    Um...your understanding is wrong. The new version was mid year change and was introduced in the US as a 2005 model in March of 2005. That is why this photo is labeled "2005 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan".

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/volkswagen/jetta/100515622/photogallery.html?pg_type=Sedan- - &imgsrc=%2Fpictures%2FVEHICLE%2F2005%2FVolkswagen%2F100515622%2F20023382-T.jpg
  • Options
    bananadanbananadan Member Posts: 8
    hey why get an in-dash nav system? I got a Magellan RoadMate a while ago - - I take it on trips, use it in rental cars, and move it between my two cars and my pickup truck. Think about it - - when cell phones came out, all the car makers went to great lengths to have built-in cell phones. then everybody started using portable phones - - now the idea of building in a cell phone is a complete anachronism - - nobody does it. Nav systems will go the same way - - you are far better off with a hard-disk based portable system like Roadmate 700 or the new 760. costs less, does more.
  • Options
    enid_sabelenid_sabel Member Posts: 1
    It`s my 32 day with my Jetta 2.5 (5M) and it`s a total :lemon:
    Today I was on my way to the Dealer because I`ve been having trouble with my brakes. I didn`t make it. At 20 MPH (in first gear) I found myself without brakes. With my brakes totally applied; I crossed a 40 feet distance and stopped thanks to a safety rail. I did not expect something like this happening, because last week I went to the Dealer and talked to the Manager about the brakes and he told me that the symptoms describe were normal as part of the ABS System.
    I dont wish this car & experience, even to my worst enemy.

:cry: I know for sure, that one good thing about this car: it`s performance in frontal impact.

:lemon: Check the Recalls (2) & Tecnical Bulletin Services (6) that already has (considering that it was introduced in mid year) :lemon:
  • Options
    Thanks for all your feedback. I was feeling better about buying the Jetta until I read Enid's post. Yikes.

Anyway, I noticed on the VE I drove, the engine rattled for a bit when I first started it (the salesman drove up in the 2.5, so I didn't hear that one first started). I read somewhere in these posts that others had experienced the same thing. Can anyone confirm?

Also, the ESP (traction control) button didn't light up either on the button itself or a light on the dash when I pressed it. Was it malfunctioning?

I usually know exactly what car I want when I'm ready to buy, but this time, even though the Jetta has the best ride/handling mix and I love the feel of it, I'm really hesitant. :surprise:

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    lorelore Member Posts: 17
    David,

Ive had my 2006 Jetta 2.5 (M) VE for about 2 weeks now. Ive had absolutely no issues with it at all. You gotta figure that most folks who have the bad luck to get a lemon are posting on the boards. The folks that are happy with their cars aren't writing, they are busy driving. Granted its been only 2 weeks, but I see nothing wrong so far. (/knocks on wood)

Once you do a cold start of the car, the pump turns on for the first 8-10 secs or so. Then it goes away after that. Our dealer showed us the ESP button and that worked great. Ive heard about people having problems with the trunk not closing, but Ive never seen that.

So far the ride's been smooth and its very comfortable. My wife and our friends have complimented us on how comfortable the car feels, even in the back seat. We test drove the Honda Civic and Mazda 3 before purchasing the Jetta VE, the prices were just too close. We've always wanted a Jetta and now we have one.

Considering the MSRP of a new Civic EX, Mazda 3, Sentra, or even factor in the Accord, the 2.5 Jetta beats them out hands down imo. If you want to go for fuel economy, then pick something else or a hybrid. If you want a car you can keep for 15-20 years then go with the Civic. If you want a nice ride, want to have fun on the road, comfort and safety for your passengers, or a nice looking car then go with the Jetta 2.5. The VE is just a steal, really can't beat the pricing. Once you start getting into the Package 2's then its prob time to look higher.

Good luck with your decision. :shades:
  • Options
    vwericvweric Member Posts: 3
    I agree with lore. I have had my Jetta tdi for a couple of months now and I enjoy it. I have to say the styling isn't as nice (not as appealing to young urban professionals (read the recent NY Times article)) but the handling is much better and the car seems more comfortable. This is my third VW and I had minimal problems with the last two...I would still have my Beetle if it wasn't smashed by a drunk driver. I will, however, give this car several more miles before I judge reliability. Yes, Hondas are more reliable, but don't they feel like a tin can compared to VW?

Eric
  • Options
    No significant problems with our VE after 4 months and about 2600 miles.

David - Is it possible the VE you drove did not have ESP, it is optional on the VE? You would think it would not have the button if that were the case, though.

And I can also confirm that the noisy start is normal.
  • Options
    Jeffy, Lore, and Vweric,

Thanks a ton for your feedback. I just came back from test driving another 2.5. It did the cold start thing, and the salesman took me in to the Service dept. to talk to a seasoned tech. He confirmed that it's noisy valve lifters due to oil soaking down. The pump takes a few seconds to get oil back up there. He said there are no long term bad effects to the engine and the noise would probably be minimized once I switch to synthetic oil - which I'll do. I do want pretty good mpg, so I'm hoping the Jetta will do as well as I've heard. I know it's not a Civic or Corolla.

On the ESP issue, I did drive a 2.5 and the button didn't light up. However, on the car I just drove (another 2.5), it DID light up. Just an anomoly, I guess.

Bottom line, there are no 4 cylinder, 5-speed, sunroof equipped economy cars around here by Honda, Toyota, or now - even Mazda. I really like the new Jetta, and now I can't decide between the Graphite Blue or the North Sea Green. I like the lighter interior on the blue. Hopefully, I'll be able to make an offer on one by the end of the week. There are 4 VW dealers around, so I'm hoping I can bully them into near invoice! ;)

I'll let you know how it goes!
    Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    We're interested in the mid-level Jetta with the leatherette seats and the auto tranny. What exactly is in Package 1? We really didn't like the Value Edition in the 2005.5 Jetta and bought the Mazda 3 S instead. The wife is still itching for the 2006 Jetta and I'm curious about the next model up. I'd be happy to take the 3 off her hands actually.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

• Options
    keyser2keyser2 Member Posts: 25
    VW is in dire straits, and I couldn't be happier. This new Mexican yuppiemobile is most likely a piece of junk like that last generation Jetta. The entire European auto industry is falling apart, and VW is leading the pack of lemmings over the cliff.
  • Options
    My lemming mobiles have and will last longer than any vehicle you've owned - past, present and future. I have the track record - with five, count them, five VWs.

1975 Scirocco - 250,000 miles
    1987 Golf GT - 624,000 miles
    1997 Jetta Trek - Just turned 150,000 miles, not a drop of oil burned, no major problems and still going strong!
    2003 Wolfsburg Jetta 1.8T - 55,000 miles, no problems, and still going strong!
    2003 Passat GLS 1.8T - 36,000 miles, no problems, still going strong!

Tell us about your wonderful vehicles, brother!!! :shades:
  • Options
    allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    VW is in dire straits, and I couldn't be happier.

Not sure why it would make you happy to see VW in dire straits, but I don't want to go there, because it seems awfully personal. I have always been able to work out any problems I've had with manufacturers in a mature and professional way, so emotional statements like this typically raise red flags with me. But that's just me, of course...

Then again, VW is pretty much the opposite of being in dire straits. Stock prices are up 54% for the year, and no one less than Porsche just announced they are buying 20% of common shares in VW. The Golf/GTI is selling like hot cakes, so much so that the introduction of certain drive train combinations is delayed in the US because of the strong world wide demand. I guess all those tens of millions of Europeans who buy VWs are either delusional, or simply don't know any better.

Sure, tendency over the past few years has been that there are somewhat more reliable cars available in the US market. But are there many competitors that offer the balance of safety, comfort, design, and performance at the price VW does? Not many, in my view. To some people, going to the dealer for a repair (even if under warranty) once more per year or per two years than with another manufacturer is a big deal. To others, it is just a percentage difference that is more than balanced by other things VW has to offer. Again, reliability is just one out of many parts of the equation for car buyers, and for many, the statistical differences published (not anecdotal information) concerning VW are not enough to scare them away.
  • Options
    bob99bob99 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Jetta TDI that I've owned for about 3 weeks now. I love it, but have a question. I have the 5-speed, and notice a underlying low frequency hummmmm very briefly when engine is cold, am turning the wheel and just starting out from 1st or reverse. It only happens when cold and in lower gears. Other than that, I LOVE my car. Has anyone heard about this condition? It isn't related to the engine noise itself( ie noise is independant from the sound of engine noise)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Well said. Having owned a 2001 and 2004 Golf, I agree that the standard fit and finish, materials, ergonomics, and standard safety equipment go far beyond what you kind find at that price point or, indeed, a few price points higher.
  • Options
    - Engine noise after a cold engine start- first 10 seconds is annoying

I started using 89 octane for several days and the problem went away.
  • Options
    Bob,

From your description, it sounds like I have a similar 'moan' from my steering when turning at low speeds in my '06 2.5. I first heard driving out of the lot when I took delivery! I called several dealer service departments, and finally someone had dealt with this. Apparently, there is an incorrect viscosity gear oil in the front diff or transmission. This dealer had a car with the same problem, swapped out the oil with the correct viscosity, and problem solved. There's supposed to be a TSB from VW forthcoming.

David
  • Options
    Edmunds undertakes a long term test of a 2006 Jetta. Check it out here Long-Term Test: 2006 Volkswagen Jetta and tell us what you think.

That's the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A) edition. You should also check out the First Drive: 2006 Volkswagen Jetta GLI post.
  • Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    Twelve hundred miles is hardly long term. I noticed Edmunds started posting those supposedly "long-term test" with 1000-2000 miles driven. Come on, guys!
    Long term test, as the name suggests, should be revealing impressions and issues that come up with driving a car during extended period of time, not just one trip around Soutwest! Drive 30K miles then you can call it long term!

I understand urge to publish something, but choose your words a bit more carefully. Call it "One long drive"or something like that. :P

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    That is the beginning of the series. The long term tests go on for one to two years with an update posted every three months. Check out other long term tests on the site and you'll see.
  • Options
    Hey, that is the exact car my wife got...graphite blue VE with ESP and automatic, except her's is a 2005 Value Edition. We paid about $400 less, without even negotiating, though :D .

But, why is it that Edmunds wanted a specific color? :confuse:

And I will point out again that this forum is poorly named since the new Jetta actually came out as a 2005 (that could be referred to as a 2005.5).
  • Options
    gr8rl8trgr8rl8tr Member Posts: 1
    I Guess It would depend if you are American or Canadian. The US introduced the new Jetta as a 2005 1/2, But here in Canada, it was introduced as a 2006 model only. Hopefully this puts all confusion to rest! To prove this to yourselves just visit www.vw.com and www.vw.ca
  • Options
    phoeneexphoeneex Member Posts: 2
    I just bought the 2006 Jetta with package 1. Basically, its the 2.5 Jetta, with a Sunroof, and the radio is Satillite radio either XM or Sirius. I got the Sirius its much better. The other features different from the Value Edition are 16 inch alloy wheels and leatherette.
  • Options
    >>CONS:
    - Engine noise after a cold engine start- first 10 seconds is annoying
    - Tried changing settings for interior and exterior lights but didn't work. I still don't have footwell lights even after I set it to ON and at 100%
    - Opposite to the exhaust, on the right side facing the back of the car, there's a missing small cover or panel.
    - Wind noise on the freeway
    - Auto-open trunk door is temperamental. It works and it doesn't.
    - Suspension on bumpy road is between average to uncomfortable
    - Called Service 4 times in 2 days to setup an appointment and always gets the voicemail. Still waiting to call me back.

Additional problems. The driver side one-touch up/down power window stopped working. And the front passenger keyless entry is not working. I need to unlock it from the inside.
    Once again, I got their voicemail when I called to sched an appointment and I still need to receive a return call from them. Their service sucks and I am very dissapointed. I bought the car from Van Nuys Volkswagen in San Fernando Valley. I need to have my car serviced. Is there anybody who knows another place I could have my car serviced?
  • Options
    I'd just try a different VW dealer.
  • Options
    krupnikaskrupnikas Member Posts: 2
    Just finished driving 2.0T Jetta w/Pkg #1. 1st one in the lot. Not as aggresive look as the GLI, but full of features. Power seat, wood trim etc. Not to bad. Anyne else care to chime in?
  • Options
    asatasat Member Posts: 4
    The start up noise could be the time it takes for the engine's sensors to adjust for the low octane fuel. Check and see what the German car needs. Bumpy ride. Mine was unbearable and I checked the air pressure and it was at 45 psi instead of 32. Believe me my back didn't like it either. I have 05.5 tdi with the dsg package 2 and I love it. My 23 year old son begs to drive it. I love the car. :shades:

Don :)
  • Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    GLI has a sportier suspension. Also, the GLI comes with either cloth or leather, but the 2.0t only comes with leatherette (vinyl) or leather. The manual trans is 6speed in both the GLI and 2.0t, but the auto in the GLI is the DSG and the auto in the 2.0t is just a regular 6speed slushbox.
  • Options
    allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    the auto in the 2.0t is just a regular 6speed slushbox.

Are you sure about this? This is news to me, and also a bit surprising given VWs dislike of creating unnecessary options and combinations. Then again, I have not seen one at the local dealer, yet.
  • Options
    VW has indicated the start-up noise is due to the time it takes to pressurize the hydraulic valve lifters. Not a terribly good explanation since other cars with hydraulic valve lifters do not make this noise (including the 2.0 from VW itself).

I recommend full synthetic oil, which leaves a good lubricating film on internal parts even after most of the oil has drained back into the crankcase.
  • Options
    phoeneexphoeneex Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2006 Jetta in Reflex Silver with Package 1. Im thinking of getting a auto lock for it or something. The dealer didnt give me a good review of the security system can anybody tell me how the Immobilizer 3 works? And can anyone recommend something to buy instead of a club for the car?
  • Options
    jetta05jetta05 Member Posts: 2
    So help me a little, the noise when you first start the car is normal for the jetta?
This discussion has been closed.