Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004 Toyota Solara

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    The Build your own thing doesn't even have photos or descriptions of the options and accesories for those people who are visual learners. By the way, you need to provide interior color choices with the exterior color choices like Honda so people like me can chose our favorite interior color then check out our exterior options.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Obviously you are not going to the right Toyota website. There is only one and it's www.toyota.com and in the build your own section, you input your zip code and model you want and it gives you all the option(s) packages that are available in your area. Sheesh! We've gone over this many of times. It's so easy to use, a 5 year old can build their own and submit a price quote request to the dealer of their choice.
                        ; )
                        Mackabee
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The site sucks and has no capability compared to others. On Toyota's website, you CANNOT search dealer inventory, which is my main complaint. The Build Your own tool is PRIMATIVE and vehicles depicted, such as in the "choose your color" section, do not update with the options you have chosen (for example, if you've opted for alloy wheels on the LE). Additionally, there are times when I've been at a dealership and have seen inventory on the lot and have not been able to duplicate that config. on Toyotas website USING THE ZIP OF THE DEALER.

Also, what gives with the mini-site. JUST FREKIN UPDATE the Solara pages, they are in production now!

Before I go to a dealer, I want to know if they've got what I want. Go to Nissans website, you'll see what I mean.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    http://www.kbb.com has its pricing up for the new Solara. I don't like having all the Southeast Region options available. Apparently, the moonroof and curtain airbags interfere with each other as KBB wouldn't let me have both on a car. What's with that? I think that is their mistake.
    Toyota.com is the corporate website, they don't list individual dealers inventory. You have to choose a particular dealer and go to that website and look at their inventory IF they list it. As I said before the official launch on the 04 Solara will be later this month so why would they put it up there when there are still 03's on the lot? I've been to Nissan's website and you still have to pick a dealer.
                     : )
                     Mackabee
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    mackabee-

The difference with the web sites is that EVERY Nissan, Mazda, Chrysler, GM, etc. dealer has their inventory listed on a centralized site, whereas the Toyota practice of leaving the inventory up to individual dealers makes things difficult and introduces inconsistencies. By the way, I think the reason for this is that Toyota has the private distributorships that handle regional stuff. For example, I know that Southeast Toyota and Gulf States Toyota both like to put 4-digit ripoff stickers on the cars for things like paint sealant and flimsy Taiwan-made alloy wheels. In order to be accurate, a centralized inventory system would have to take all of this add-on junk into account. That's probably why they don't want to bother with it. If I were in charge of TMSUSA, I would take the other approach: tell those private distributors to shape up or ship out. There's no excuse for loading that overpriced trash onto the cars before they even reach the dealership.

-Andrew L
    I just went to www.nissanusa.com input my zip code to locate a dealer. No inventory online, no new vehicle specials, etc, etc. Very nice.
                           ; )
                           Mackabee
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Why cant you just face the fact that Toyota's site sucks? It is often inconsistent in its presentation of information (I already provided an example of the Camry which on the intro page is stated to have power drivers seat std. on all models, then on the Prices page is said to have power drivers seat std. on XLE), and basically useless in vehicle configuration and searches.

You must be doing something wrong with the Nissan site. Go to the home page, click on any model, then on that model's page, click on any trim level. This will bring you to a screen in which you can A) either configure the vehicle you want, and then search against a dealers inventory or B) choose from local dealers and view all of that dealers inventory for that model. You can sort by trim line, price, or color match.

The fact that I could find a dealer in my area with the Sentra I wanted (Molten Silver, 2.5LE, no major options) made my day and made the deal incredibly easy, and fairly obliterated any chance the Corolla had simply because I didnt know where to go to find one with ABS and side airbags, cause Toyota's website does not have that functionality, nor do local dealers. (Plus the Corollas airbags dont cover chest AND head and the Corolla is a lot less peppy, but thats a different story).

~alpha
    Sounds like sour grapes to me.
                                  ; )
                                   Mackabee
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    I'm so glad I'm not alone on this! Toyota's website developers should be fired, as well as the idiot with the "minisite" idea!
    And still no 2004 Camry or Solara.

[sarcasm]What a surprise![/sarcasm]
  • icangelat03icangelat03 Member Posts: 45
    Aside from the lack of updates of the site (which I hear will be updated tomorrow afternoon), my only complaint with the toyota website is the fact that all the cars are not available to build. I am planning on buying a solara convertible, but there is nowhere on the website where I can price that car with the options I want. Even edmunds only has select options to price.
    Ok, guys what part of "official launch August 15th" was not understood? And it's been said many times on this thread the convertible will not be available until March 2004 (CY)
                         Mackabee

P.s. both Camry 04 and Solara 04 are at your local dealers right now. Or are you afraid to step into the "lion's den"?
                                  ; )
                               Mackabee
    Both Camry 04 and Solara 04 brochures are at your dealers now! And some already have the 04 Solara on the lot.
                  Mackabee
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    Our local dealer in St. Paul has six '04 Solaras. 3 SLE's and 3 SL's. No SL sports.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Boy was I mad when I drove to the local Toyota dealership this afternoon.

Not ONE Camry Solara. Damn South East Region!

Anyway, I am willing to wait, AND bet that all of the Camrys that come to this area will have a whole bunch of useless accesories.

The UGLY alloy wheels they put on the Camry LEs are sooo bad...I hope they don't do this to the Solara.

Heck, even some of the SEV6 Camrys have the accessoires alloys and they have the nerve to charge extra for them.

I still cannot wait to finally see one. I will be in Atlanta tomorrow, but I bet they will not have any.`
    I strongly recommend against buying a Toyota with the cheap alloys installed by the regional distributors. Toyota actually makes pretty good quality factory alloys -- they are expensive, but in my experience they are stronger than most and the finish doesn't peel off like many others (*cough* Chrysler *cough*) do. As far as I know, the wheels installed by the regionals are largely low-grade Enkei brand wheels, which are famous for constantly throwing center caps and getting bent from potholes.

-Andrew L
    You are 100% correct. The Enkei wheels are constantly used in the South East Region
    Then how come the 04 Avalon is on there, and the 04 Camry (sedan) is not?

BTW, I only go to the dealer if I'm buying or have a scheduled maintenance done. Since I'm not doing the prior anytime soon, nor the latter (next scheduled maintenance 9K miles away, I change my own oil), I only go to dealer on Sunday when I know that I'll have some privacy (especially now that it's "Toyota Time"). In other words, I only go there when it's absolutely necessary.

Besides, if these vehicles are "supposedly" on the lots now, then shouldn't Toyota have them up on their site, regardless of actual release date? Even Honda had the Pilot and Element up before they went on sale.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Available now from dealers. Picked one up in Chicago yesterday.
  • kgw707kgw707 Member Posts: 19
    I've had 2 celica's and a '99 Solara from the same sales guy for the last 15 years. So I stopped by to see him, went through all regions preallocations, and got him to change the color on an SLE to the Cosmic Blue with Dark Stone interior. It's being built on Aug 18th, so I figure by the end of the month I should be able to SEE it.....just added the spoiler option...everything else standard....will keep you posted.
  • howiebxhowiebx Member Posts: 20
    Congratulations on your SLE.
    I am thinking of getting one too. I live in NY
    and I was wondering what options you chose and what they are charging.
    Thanks
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    Why wouldn't the web site be updated the same time brochures come out? I mean, brochures probably take a few months to design and print. A web site page redesign shouldn't take half that long.

By the way, overall I don't have a major problem with the Toyota web site, but I think they dropped the ball on the Solara re-launch.
    Minor quibbles:

1) no dual climate control on the SLE

2) no power passenger seat

3) no Xenons
    I'm surprised by the lack of dual AC, as well. Even the Accord has it. Did the pre-2004 have a power passenger seat available? Even the Sienna XLE LTD doesn't have it. But, then again, the Acura TSX lacks one, too.
    I only added the spoiler...the rest is stock SLE...as far as price, my guy said it comes to 26,680.....LIST....we havent even talked price yet....will keep you posted.
    Number One: THE TOYOTA WEBSITE SUCKS! They don't update the cars even after they've gone on sale. Also, they don't list the incentives that are going on during "TOYOTA TIME", they just redirect you to the dealer search page.
    Number Two: Crosstown rivals Nissan and Honda update their sites frequently. (Nissan is a bit slower than Honda- but Honda is really fast. The Pilot page went up a couple of weeks before it went on sale) Also, they have a dealer inventory search system. VERY EASY TO USE! On Toyota's website, when I'm just wondering what Siennas my local dealer has in stock without going to the dealer, I have to go to the dealer's website- which has no inventory search either.
    Number 3: Why can't Toyota just distribute Toyotas in the Gulf States/Southeast region themselves? I'm sure they'd gain some customers who bought Accords and Altimas instead of Camrys because of those aftermarket Alloy Wheels installed by whoever distributes the Toyotas down there right now.
    One thing about Honda's site...their news section REALLY sucks. The freshest story at some points is months old. Toyota really does a good job on its press releases.
    With the 5-speed automatic in the '04 Solara, what do they mean by "sequential automatic"? Is that a manual shift mode?
    I don't read the news anyways. I get that from edmunds.com and my Motor Trend subscription.
  • howiebxhowiebx Member Posts: 20
    I only added the spoiler...the rest is stock SLE...as far as price, my guy said it comes to 26,680.....LIST....we havent even talked price yet....will keep you posted.
    Thanks and good luck,
    I went to my local Toyota dealer and they were
    clueless...

Did $26,680 include NAV? and Do you think
    the dealer would negotiate further.
  • jjgittesjjgittes Member Posts: 54
    Anyone seen an '04 in a SoCal dealership yet? Also, how are they showing up equipped, and what are they actually being priced at? It will be interesting to see if any pricing pressure is put on 6cyl accord coupes.
    should send them an e-mail. I sent one today and will post my e-mail and it's response should I get one.

If you want to email them yourself here's the address: toyota_cares@toyota.com

Put "website updates" in subject line.
    "I'm surprised by the lack of dual AC, as well. Even the Accord has it. Did the pre-2004 have a power passenger seat available? Even the Sienna XLE LTD doesn't have it. But, then again, the Acura TSX lacks one, too."

What do you expect from Honda? LOL! :-)
    The price didn't include NAV....dont need it. Once the car arrives, and I test drive it, then we'll talk price. he will negotiate.....
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and I hope that you are having a great day. Yesterday there was a new gray 2004 at my local Toyota dealership. My take on the styling is very elegant similar to the ES300 but much nicer and sportier lines. The way that the crease along the sides integrates into the headlights is very attractive. This car as others have stated borrows some of the styling cues of the Lexus SC430 and in my opinion with better execution.

And one could buy the entry level SE with the six cylinder and most options for about $21,000.00. Thankyou goodness for the economic freedom that we have left. This car is an amazing value.

The interior looks much more upscale than the price class and the satin trim looks great. And there is plenty of luggage room, close to 14 cubic feet.

A very impressive car that draws with its styling and has to win you over with the finish quality and value.

I am looking forward to seeing the car in the Artic Pearl and the other great colors.
  • pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    "Why can't Toyota just distribute Toyotas in the Gulf States/Southeast region themselves? I'm sure they'd gain some customers who bought Accords and Altimas instead of Camrys because of those aftermarket Alloy Wheels installed by whoever distributes the Toyotas down there right now."

This is the way I understand it, and if I'm wrong someone please correct me. A long time ago when Toyota first came to the US, the regions weren't controlled by Toyota themselves. They relied on these investors to help get them going, and when Toyota became successful they started to buy back control. The Southeast/Gulf regions refused to sell out so to this day they are still not under control of Toyota. Toyota builds the cars like any other place but once it arrives at the "port" the SE/Gulf region slaps on aftermarket alloy wheels, adds the dreaded ToyoGuard Package, charges more for floormats and other PIO and any other scams they can dream up. Most cars in the lots will have that ToyoGuard Package and it's difficult to not have to pay something for it.

From what I understand, it's not Toyota's fault and not the individual dealer's fault, this is something the people in charge of these regions force on the cars and the cost is passed on to the dealers, and in return the dealer must recoup the money they're charged by charging the customer as well.

This is the explanation I've heard for all the nonsense that the SE/Gulf regions do. Could someone confirm this for me or if it's not true, could someone explain to me why this is going on? I've always wondered if this explanation was true or not.
    There is no "gray" per say on the color chart in the brochure. Could it have been the "steel blue" or Cosmic Blue that you saw ?????
    Okay, somebody who has a Solara ordering guide, answer this one for me. Everything I've seen indicates that all 2004 Solaras come with alloy wheels. If that's true, then what is this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&cate- gory=33744&item=2427645296

I am in the hubcap business and those are definitely not any wheel covers I have ever seen before, which makes me think the description might be accurate. So, what 2004 Solaras come with wheel covers???

-Andrew L
    pzev, you pretty much hit the nail on the head with your description of SE/Gulf States distributors. They must be very profitable otherwise they would have sold the distributorship back to Toyota a long time ago.

Hubcaps, all SOLARA 04'S come standard with alloy wheels. Never seen that wheel cover design before.

jchan, have you tried using the phone? Works everytime and you get updated information instantly.

Mackabee
    Simple question (at least I hope it will be), will I be able to custom order a solara convertable when they become available? or will I have to take from the dealers stock and have options added that way (like it seems you all are talking about)? anyone who can answer my question?
    What do you mean by "custom order"?
                          Mackabee
    Will I be able to go in and basically say, "This is what I want, with these options only....can you order it for me?" Or do I have to take what the dealer has and then change it?
    Well, if past history holds true. You are at the mercy of the distributors in your area. I would take a chance and guess most Solara SLE convertibles will be ordered loaded to the gills! Which really won't be many options available as the car is pretty well equipped. Vehicle stability/traction control, navigation, rear spoiler, floor mats, that's about it in options. If you just want the standard equipment I figure you are looking at around 29k, 32-33k with all the options I mentioned.
                      Mackabee
    I'm pretty sure you'll be able to order a convertible the way you want it, since the'll be out for the '05 model year. All these chatterboxes her are refering to the release criteria for a new 'model change' senario....
    I was out shopping today for school clothes, and I went by a rather large Toyota dealership in my area. They had ONE Solara, they had just brought it out. (I know because I had driven by the dealer earlier that day and it wasn't out.)

It was a Lunar Mist SLE with many options. Nice looking, but I am not crazy about the rear end.

As expected, it was loaded with accessories.

Gold trim, sunroof visors, etc.

Nice though.

On my way home I decided to stop by another dealership, and low and behold, they had an SLE as well.

It was black. It also had the gold trim and sunroof visor. It looked better for some reason.

I really like the interior!
  • jrp6977jrp6977 Member Posts: 87
    I got a glimpse of a black Solara on a car carrier in Indianapolis yesterday. From what I could tell it looked pretty good. After picking up a brochure and comparing it to the Accord coupe, I think Honda has somthing to worry about. Styling aside, the Solara seems to be a much better packaged car overall. It has more passenger room, more trunk room and a bigger fuel tank. The interior looks even more upscale than the Honda's, which is saying alot. The interior trim is specific to each trim level and is not affected by color as it is in the Honda. For instance, in the Honda EX models, you get metal trim with black interior and wood with ivory. With the Solara, you get BOTH metal and wood trim in all interior colors. It looks great and works well together.With Solara, each exterior color (except one) has a choice of two interior colors whereas Honda only has one per color. The fog lamps on the Solara are integrated and standard accross unlike Hondas tacky looking add ons. The only big Honda advantage I can think of is that it has 15 more horsepower. But, the Solara has more torque and the power comes at lower rpms. I cant wait to drive both cars and see how they compare.
    TOYOTA UPDATED THE SOLARA PAGE FOR 2004
    Sign me up for an Absolutely Red SLE 4-cylinder with leather, spoiler, and curtain airbags! The dark stone leather interior looks magnificent! Toyota should have kept all of the interior lights the same color...ie no blue gauge panel...make it match the radio/HVAC controls.
    I am after either an Artic Frost or Lunar Mist SE model.

Oceanus Blue ain't bad either.
This discussion has been closed.