Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004 Toyota Solara

libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
edited March 2014 in Toyota
The styling looks promising. Toyota may finally have a Sebring beater.

Comments

• sazaman1sazaman1 Member Posts: 22
    Any news if solara will have a convertible for 2004?
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    (convertible). The current one will most likely be sold alongside the new coupe for 2004.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    but I highly doubt the convertible will continue once the new model has been introduced. From what I understand, Solara production has moved from Canada to exclusively TMMK, and I doubt they would retool the plant for two generations of platform. I'd say the convertible will take a one year hiatus.

~alpha
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    March of 2004.
  • icangelat03icangelat03 Member Posts: 45
    Where are you getting the information on the 2004 convertable? I have contacted Toyota directly and they do not even know for sure about the convertable model.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    No, it will be a 2004. And Sbell has the straight skinny on this car. If you call Toyota, you are probably calling their customer service number which is staffed to handle routine calls, they don't have any insider info as we do.
                               : )
                               Mackabee
    Awesome, I think. So wait, let me reiterate so I understand correclty- the new generation Solara convertible will be available as a 2004 MY and we will not have to wait for an 05? That would really rule.

~alpha
    I saw the new Solara convertible and it looks very similar to the Lexus. I am going from memory from about 6-8 months ago so don't quote me on the exact specs (but it does look like the Lexus).
  • hkingshkings Member Posts: 74
    Hey Sbell4, I'm very interested in getting an 04 Solara Convertible but haven't heard much info about it other than something might be released next year. How do you know its coming out in March 04? How firm is that date? And how have you already seen it, where at? Any and all info is truly appreciated!
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    When do the '04 Solara's hit the showrooms?
    It is scheduled for March of 2004. Allocations for 2004 Solara is going on now. First day of production just happens to be today!
    So I WAS right.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    I thought the '04 Solara was coming out in August, no? Now we hear March '04, although it went into production today (July 7)? It takes 9 months to build and ship? Doesn't compute. What gives?
    Solara convertible in March.
    base MSRP range from 19120-22945 for the coupe. Nav is available for 2004 Solara,
    So the coupe will be available in August, but the convertible will not be available until March? Is that correct? What is this that sbell was saying about allocations now? Another question: will the stereo be satelite radio ready?
  • hkingshkings Member Posts: 74
    Was there any Pricing anounced for the 04 Covertible by chance? Should it be close to the 03 model?
    Will the Solara pricing discussed be available on Toyota.com under News soon, does anyone think?
    Or can someone provide a link to the pricing release?

~alpha
    Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A. Inc., and Southeast Toyota Distributors, LLC are pleased to provide you with pricing for the 2004 Camry Solara which goes on sale in mid-August. Pricing for Solara will be announced to the public on July 8th, 2003.

SOLARA
    Sportier, more powerful, more refined and larger, inside and out, than its predecessor, the second generation Solara is the most American of any Toyota with product planning, technical and styling development managed in the U.S. and production exclusively in Georgetown, Kentucky.

The 2004 Solara will offer a choice of a 3.3-liter V6 or a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine. The new 3.3-liter V6 generates 225 horsepower and 240 lb.-ft. of torque, significant improvements from the current 3.0-liter engine. V6 models will also have an all-new five-speed automatic sequential transmission.

Solara will be available in SE, SE Sport and SLE grades, each with a unique interior treatment and feature content. The SE grade features metallic silver-style trim and includes the following standard equipment:

· Air conditioning with air filtration
    · 16” alloy wheels with P215/60R16 tires
    · Tilt / telescopic steering wheel
    · Steering wheel mounted audio and multi-information display controls
    · Driver and passenger front seat-mounted side airbags
    · ABS
    · DRL
    · Deluxe AM/FM/CD with 6 speakers
    · Color-keyed outside door handles and outside mirrors
    · Fog lamps
    · Power windows with driver-side auto up/down, door locks and mirrors
    · 60/40 Split folding rear seat
    · Tire Pressure Warning
    · Cruise control
    · Keyless entry

The 2004 SE four-cylinder starts at $19,120 with a manual transmission, $245 less than the 2003 MSRP. With an automatic transmission, the SE four-cylinder MSRP is $19,950, or $215 below the 2003 model. The 2004 SE V6 has been positioned $1,035 below last year’s model with a starting MSRP of $21,450.

New for 2004, the SE Sport model will appeal to the younger buyer looking for a sportier Solara with a more aggressive appearance and feel. SE Sport is differentiated from SE models by the following equipment (in addition to or replacing SE equipment):

· Body kit and rear spoiler
    · 17” alloy wheels with P215/55R17 performance or all-season tires
    · Sport-tuned suspension
    · Leather-wrapped steering wheel, shift knob and parking brake handle
    · Black graphite-style interior trim
    · Dark charcoal color interior
    · Aluminum sport pedal covers
    · Sport instrument panel with unique sport gauges

Four-cylinder SE Sport models start at $20,615 with the manual transmission and $21,445 with the automatic. The new 3.3-liter V6 SE Sport starts at $22,945.

The luxurious SLE grade is available with either a V6 or a four-cylinder engine and includes the following standard features (in addition to or in place of SE grade):

· Moonroof
    · 17” alloy wheels with P215/55R17 tires (V6 models)
    · JBL 3-in-1 with 6-CD in-dash changer, XM Satellite Radio capability, 270 watts maximum output and 8 speakers in 6 locations
    · Perforated leather-trimmed heated seats with 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat (V6 models)
    · Power driver seat (L4 models)
    · Heated outside mirrors
    · Auto-dimming rear view mirror with compass
    · Driver’s side outside electrochromic mirror
    · Auto climate control with air filtration
    · Homelink
    · Anti-theft system

Despite significant increases in standard equipment, the SLE V6 starts at $25,995, or only $1,320 above last year’s model. The newly available SLE four-cylinder model has a base MSRP of $22,995.
    Thanks sbell, as usual, you are very helpful.

Impressive list of std. equip for the price-even more so than the Camry 4 door. Any word on equip upgrades for the 4 door for 2004? Can you confirm the 3.3L V6 going into the Camry SE model. Sorry to pick your brain!

~alpha
    Thank you for the wonderful information sbell. Now I just have to decide if I can wait it out until March to get the new convertible.
    woodgrain trim on steering wheel, doors, or dashboard? Thanks for the info.
    Get the Chrysler Sebring. It is the BEST convertible!!! It is luxurious in Limited and LXi. It is beautiful and is available NOW. Plus it has LOTS of room.
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    Great info. Interesting to see they're offering the steering wheel stereo controls. This is a nice feature on the Accord.

Are there any good pics of the new Solara anywhere (other than the Toyota web site)?
    liberty, I've heard both good and bad about both the solara and sebring. I'm kind of going with the toyota name (camry especially) and the higher resale value on the solara. Also the sebring is more expensive. What makes it so much better? I'm hearing lots of complaints on the message boards. Another thing is the lack of Solaras out there, I don't know whether to take that as if they are not good cars, or that people just don't know about them - there are a lot of sebrings on the road now.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Thanks. Any option packages on the SLE? Memory seats, dual climate control? Do you have the dimensions and weight?
    Belive me, everyone knows about the Solara. It is a Toyota and everyone always looks to Honda and Toyota first (except me). The Sebring has had great reliability and is selling well due to its beautiful styling, roominess, luxuriousness, and cheapness. It is a lot LESS expensive similarly equipped to a SLE (the LXi trim is equal to SLE actually). The Sebring also has the largest trunk of any convertible out there. Go with the Sebring, you'll LOVE it.
    Try and make claims then cite sources to back up your claim. Can you name a publication or cite which substantiates your claim that the Sebrign has outstanding reliability. And watch out on pricing- the new Solara SLE V6 is 26K with nearly everything standard (NAV and curtains are options). I would expect that the convertible be about 2K more, bringing a very well equipped model to 28K base. Sebring convertibles def. get that high.

~alpha
    Another option on that price is the leather seats. I personally hate leather seats, especially in the summer, when I stick to them. Both convertibles now have a sportier option, with the solara being less expensive. True, the higher models may have the sebring being cheaper, but in my comparisons, with the options I want, the solara is a few thousand less. Any one else out there have an opinion?
    "perforated leather trimmed heated front seats" are now standard on SLE V6 editions.

The hardtop 2-door SLE V6 is $26,480 including destination, which, given the equipment upgrades, really a good MSRP. By comparison, a similarly equipped Accord 2-door EX V6 auto is $26,360.

~alpha
    True, the heated seats would be nice in the winter, but I'm still going to be sticking to them in the summer if they're leather. And what does "leather trimmed" mean exactly? (sbell maybe you could help me out)
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I saw a black 2004 Solara in a secured area at the Georgetown plant yesterday. Great find!
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Recently, I went to Chrysler's website and priced a 2003 Chrysler Sebring GTC convertible. It was $28,000 for a convertible with cloth seats and an automatic. I think the Sebring LXi starts at $27,000. Now, if the Solara SE Convertible starts out at $24K like the Sebring LX, it should be a hit. The Sebring isn't great when it comes to reliability, but it's OK. So, a Solara SLE V6 convertible, in my opinion, should at least start at about $28K to get close to the Sebring LXi. Then again, Chrysler is offering killer cash back deals and financing, and Toyota isn't offering any kind of cash back on the Solara. The resale value on a Chrysler Sebring isn't good, because a lot of Chrysler Convertibles go to car-rental agencies and fleet management corporations. From what I've seen, only 2003 Solara SE Coupes go into a rental fleet. (I don't get why Toyota is starting to sell 4Runners, Camrys, and Solaras into car rental fleets and fleet management corporations)I read a Motor Trend article in May 2001, when the Solara convertible just came out and MT said that the Solara had a lot of wind noise that wasn't apparent in the Sebring. I like the Sebring and the Solara, but the Solara convertible (next gen)has me rethinking my like for the Sebring Convertible. Anyone have spy-pics on the Solara Convertible?
  • pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    Does it look good in real life? The car seems to look better in pictures without the body kit.
    I don't think leather-trimmed means anything except that they are leather seats just like any other car. Alot of companies use the term leather-trimmed. The back of the seats probably aren't real leather so maybe that's where the trimmed part comes from, but I'm not really sure.

Unfortunately like most cars there's always complaints about how cars are equipped and what kind of options there are. I don't want a moonroof under any circumstances so that limits my choices a lot. If you don't want leather seats get the SE 6-cylinder. At $21,450 it seems like a great bargain. Then simply add a moonroof or whatever else it is you want and you'll be able to avoid the leather. I know the SLE has certain stuff that you probably can't get on the SE but it seems to be pretty minor stuff.
    If you go to the toyota site it has a picture of the woodgrain SLE interior. I'm assuming from that picture that is all the wood that will be put in the car at least as standard equipment.
    The only pictures I've seen are the same old ones they released when it was shown at the autoshow. Since it is in production now it probably won't be long before Toyota puts more pictures up.
    Thanks for the input. I'm looking into getting the SE Sport V6 convertible and then adding all the options except the leather. I just don't know if I can wait till March
    You had some good points about the sebring. I did basically the same thing that you did, I put in all the options that I wanted on both cars and then compared prices. Its true that the sebring has a higher MSRP, but they do have more deals going right now. If solara wasn't coming out with a new model, I would definitely go with the sebring, but the new choices make it difficult. My younger sister is currently waiting for my car now ('96 chevy cavalier), so I don't know if i can hold out until March, I may end up with the sebring anyway :) Haven't seen any pics of the convertible yet, just the coupe.
    You make some good points also however, keep in mind the Convertible Solara was limited production. Only about 5000 per year if that many as opposed to the mass produced Sebring.
                 Mackabee
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    The shape of the new Solara, especially in black, makes the car look low slung and very stealth.
    I believe Consumer Reports said the Sebring had good reliability. The Limited gets higher than $28K, the LXi is less. Like I said, the Solara SLE is equal to LXi not the Limited. Actually, the Solara convertible SLE V6 starts around $30K not $28K so that really makes the Sebring less.
    For now. But if you've noticed, across the Solara line for the 2004, standard equipment levels are up, and prices are down in some cases, similar in others, and where they are higher (as in the case of the SLE V6) MAJOR options are now standard (think: leather). It is a better equipped car for the dollar.

Pricing hasn't been relased yet for the convertible (obviously), but is it that much of a stretch to think that it will follow suit with regard to pricing/equipment?

~alpha
  • jrp6977jrp6977 Member Posts: 87
    Any ideas as to when the '04 will show up on dealer's lots? I'm very anxious to see one up close, particularly since Honda really dropped the ball on the Accord coupe styling for '03. It will be interesting to see the competition between the two models.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    As coolguyky7 said, black usually brings out the look of a vehicle. I'm a fan of dark blue and dark green in particular, and I can't wait to see the 2004 Solara looks like in those colors, as well as black and silver (classy for a light color). I liked the new 2004 Solara ever since it hit the auto shows, but I'm not really a fan of that bright red color.

As a comaprison to the Accord coupe, the Solara's styling is hands down the better of the two. The new Accord coupe is grotesque.
    IMO, is far and away the best color on the Camry (even makes the LE with those wretched 15 inch hubcaps look decent), and if it is offered on the Solara, I'm sure it will be a knockout- especially with the standard 16 in alloys (I am curious to see their design- I believe it is the 17 inchers that are in most of the pics available currently- can anyone confirm?)
    ~alpha
    The car will be at dealers lots first week in August. There is no green (sorry i_luv_toyota) for 2004, and there are two blues. The Cosmic blue that's on the Matrix and a new one called Oceanus blue which I gather from the paint code (8R4) is a dark blue. Colors available for 2004 are: Absolutely red (same as MR2 and Celica) Desert sand (same as Camry) Lunar Mist (same as Camry) Arctic Frost pearl which replaces Diamond white pearl and is the same as on the new Sienna LTD (very nice color! should look great on Solara) Super Black (not Blacksand pearl) Cosmic blue and Oceanus blue.
                          Mackabee
    shiny green (sadly not available on the 2004), and a pretty cream or off-white.
This discussion has been closed.