Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2004 Toyota Solara

Comments

• cooldad24cooldad24 Posts: 162
    As I know, the Solara was designed and built in US. I don't know why the rep said that. Leave a room for the dealer markup?
  • If a Toyota rep told you that you could buy a Solara made in Japsn, he knows somehting nobody else does. Th Solara is designed in the USA for American production and manufactured in the USA "only" for the USA market. I know of no other country that would spend $25,000 for a 2 door Toyota. Especiallly if you were speaking of a V6! HA!
  • "I know of no other country that would spend $25,000 for a 2 door Toyota. Especiallly if you were speaking of a V6! HA!"

The last production of the Toyota Supra was in 1995. The Supra had 2 doors and a V6 and people all over the globe were buying them. They were around $35,000 to $42,000 back then. You can't buy them used because no body is selling.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Last model year sold in the US was the 1998.
                        : )
                        Mackabee
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    I read the reviews, so I already know it is quiet, but how quiet?
    Is it as quiet, more or less quiet than a Lexus ES330?
  • Are you speaking of Euros??? I was buying a Mini in Paris, loaded for $14,000 euros. Get the currency str8! If anyone paid that much for a car in dollars, a 2 door, they were connected, or drug dealers. Take a vacation! No 2 door luxery cars, except Germany, and they are rare!
    I didn't drive them side by side or in the same day. The impression is very close. So close to tell actually. The Solara maybe has a litlle more road noise on rough surface may due to lower profile stiffer tires. But compare to G35 or Accord Coup, it surpass these two in this category.
  • I bet you know the answers to several questions that I have been trying to get answered. Does the SE V 6 Solara have a top speed electronic limiter? What is the top speed of this car? What is the invoice on a base V6 with no adds of any kind from a MSRP of 21975? If you do not know these answers, please direct me to someone who does. I have been waiting for some magazine to test this car but so far all I have seen is a short take, or first drive. Do you know of any magazine that has done a complete road test on the Solara? I do not mean Motor Trend as that book does not do top speeds. What a bunch of chickens. That is the reason I dropped my sub.
    To my knowledge only Car & Driver and Road & Track do complete road tests.
  • I forgot to ask, does the standard V6 base car have a strut bar? I know the SE sport does, but I just wondered if that was exclusive to the Sport model?
  • pzevpzev Posts: 807
    Base SE V6 invoice is $19,304

$19,304 + $515 (destination charge) = $19,819

And C&D has a review of some sort of the Solara online. Haven't had time to read through it yet though so not sure if it'll help you any.
    I'll get back to you with concrete answers on the Solara. Got back a week ago from Frankfurt after 2 week absence I got lots of catching up to do at work. My "relief" was only here "part time".
                          Mackabee
  • Should I change oil on my 04 Solara at 1000 miles or wait until 5000 as recommended by the dealer?
    Thanks
    You went to the Frankfurt autoshow? How did you like it? Did you get to see the Mazda3? I might be getting one of those, if you saw it was wondering what your impressions of it were.
    I'm no expert on this, but after everything I've read over time I would change the oil at 1,000 miles. Supposedly it "cleans" out the engine and leaving the original oil in for 5,000 miles won't necessarily hurt it, but most people seem to recommend changing the oil early on.
    Some cars it doesn't matter and some cars should NOT have the factory oil changed before the period recommended.
    In the olden days, engines were poorly machined and metal on metal parts would grind together on the new engines causing metal "shavings" to float around in the engine that could cause damage during break-in.
    Modern cars do not have this problem and some car's engines are partially "broken-in" before they are installed at the factory.
    Some cars even have special oil from the factory that is supposed to remain in the car for some minimum mileage to help the break-in go smoothly.
    You would need to talk to the service department at your dealership and read your manual to see which applies to your vehicle.
    Dealerships are usually quite happy to do more service than required so they can make more money, so if they are not recommending changing the oil at 1000 miles, there is a reason.
  • russklassrussklass Posts: 389
    s852 is right on!
    Go by the owners manual, and have all services performed at the specified service intervals to meet the warranty requirements.
    The dealer will try to sell unneeded services which can be very costly ... don't fall for it!
    Our '04 Solara will get it's first oil change at 5,000 miles.
    I did see it. Both the 4 door hatchback and the sedan. Very impressive. Hopefully we'll get the same versions here. I took over 200 pictures at the show but my son put them on a DVD video disc so I can't e-mail any of them until he sends me a cd-r with them on it. I left that one behind. Mazda also had a very cool concept car called the Kazubi I believe. Very edgy looking. Reminded me of a Stealth fighter. I had a great time at the show. The magnitude of this auto show is unbelievable. It was held at the Frankfurt Messe which is kind of a mini Olympic complex. Only got to go one day as my son had an itinerary planned for my vacation, so I just went to the buildings where cars we don't get to see here were being shown. I was three feet away from the Porsche GT and the Enzo Ferrari. Just imagine a kid in a candy store!
                 Mackabee
  • Well, the dealer has affirmed that there is a problem with both the dome light and the tire sensor. If I understand my 18 yr old daughter correctly (note the source), the tire pressure sensor problem has to do with something with a sensor in the brakes and they have ordered the part. The dome light they say is just simply defective and they ordered another dome light. Should know by the end of next week.
  • Good luck! My neighbor dumped her Camry 'cuz of the dome light! I kept my Solara cuz I paid vcash for it, and most things were replaced by 36,000 miles anyway!
    Glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like a lot of fun!
    s852 makes a lot of sense. He's right. Just ignore my previous post about the oil change. ;)
  • Got another question for you. Do the DRL's have an off switch? I seem to remember that the Camry has such a switch, but do not know if the switch is on the Solara. If no switch, how would one disable these idiot lights? I really do have enough sense to turn on the lights when necessary, and I can think of a lot of reasons why I would not want such lights to be automatic. Help, Help. P.S. I know I am imposing on you a LOT, but it seems that you would know these things, and I cannot find another source. Thanks in advance. :)
    Yes, there is switch to turn it off. The light switch has 4 settings: off, auto, park light and on. The DRL can be turned off by set to off.
    No imposition at all. I'm happy to help. I'm still looking for an answer to your speed limiter question. All the other questions have been answered by our fellow town hall members. I've talked to a couple of our master techs and they all agree we probably have to call Toyota Technical center in Torrance or Michigan to get the answer. There is a rev limiter in the car which cuts the gas off to the engine if you exceed a certain speed, we just can't find what that speed is. How fast are you planning on going?
                            Mackabee
  • Many thanks for the info, I am sure glad that the DRL's can go away that easy. I also am glad to get the answers to all of my questions, and in regard to how fast I want to go, out in the vast western part of Texas, as fast as I can. I have been passed by the cops when I was doing l00 MPH, and a LOT of drivers average triple numbers out here. However, in the city, I drive the speed limit, and sometimes less. If you are not doing anything crazy the cops let you alone. Straight line speed when one can see 20 miles ahead is not out of line. Also, I just do not like the idea of an electronic nanny even if I were never to exceed the speed limit. Just knowing what the car will do is good enough. Thanks in advance for going to the trouble to find the answer to the top speed question. :)
    How 'bout them Cowboys!
                   Mackabee
    I test drove a 2004 Solara SLE V6 and a 2004 Lexus ES330 recently.
    The interior of the ES330 was quite a bit nicer. The leather and wood in the Lexus ES330 were very high quality.
    The leather in the Solara was fine, but not as nice as the thicker Lexus leather and the Solara has fake wood trim that looks ok, but not luxurious like the genuine wood in the Lexus.
    However, I liked the glass trim around the shifter in the Solara and the Solara drove and rode about as smoothly and quietly as the Lexus.
    The JBL stereo in the Solara was disappointing, but so was the stock Lexus radio. You would have to get the optional Mark Levinson stereo in the Lexus if you really care about high quality audio.
    I think I prefer the look of the Solara's exterior and the price was much cheaper.
  • Hi, I got to thinking about what you said about the light switch, and I do not understand how it works. If you set the switch to off how do the regular headlights come on? Or does the off only apply to the DRL's? Please clear this up for me. Many Thanks. :)
  • Hi, no one has answered the strut bar question yet so let me know about it. Thanks. Cowboys finally won a game??? :)
This discussion has been closed.