Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Fleetwood

Comments

• beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    The mileage isn't a big deal, as long as it has obviously been driven some and maintained well--not just rotting in the garage for months on end. If it was just a lightly driven garage queen that got pampered with the best maintenance, all should be well.

As for the hauling you did, having such a big, strong car is nice isn't it? ;) All that style, space, and power, yet you don't have to drive the dime a dozen Tahoe or Expedition like everyone else...and you can even tow almost as much, or more, than them if the car is equipped properly.

When these cars have the full tow package from the factory, including a mechanical (vs. electronic) cooling fan, stiffer supension, and other tow bits like lower rear gears, they're actually rated to tow 7000 pounds. It's less if they're not tow pack cars (most aren't), but all can still tow.

Like you mentioned, having your mechanic do a once over would be the best idea.

So, have it checked out, and if you end up buying it, drive it for a while, then make sure to check it out again and continually just to make sure there are no leaks, etc...basically like any used car.
  • a3da3d Member Posts: 11
    Pat, sis, and beach,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. The KBB for the '94 Fleetwood (Private Party Value) is $6,420 for Excellent condition and the Suggested Retail Value for Excellent condition is $8,340. The private sellers want $7,000. If my mechanic gives me a positive report on the car and condition of the drive train, ball joints, etc., I will probably give them the 7K. I do wonder about the distinction between "Excellent" and "Good" condition and may offer $6,500 depending on the mechanic's report. :confuse:

The Real-World Trade-In Values forum is currently undergoing a database update so I can't post right now, but I will as soon as I can and let you know what they think. Thanks again.

A3D
    I mainly just use Edmunds values because others like KBB are often very overinflated, but in your case, $7k seems wholey acceptable for a car that seems so nice and has so few miles on it.

As for the Excellent vs. Good rating, think of it this way: I just bought ANOTHER Fleetwood ( :shades: ), this time a '95 model with 117k miles on it. Obviously has been garaged, the paint is beautiful and not a single molding or emblem is faded, plus it drives very tight and doesn't feel anywhere near having over 100k miles on it. So, technically, it would be "Excellent" in my book, except there's a few minor things like the kick panel under the steering wheel needs re-attached, there's a small scrape on the underside edge of the front bumper, and there's 2 small wear marks on the driver's seat leather--so, in essence, it honestly falls under the "Good" category.

If everything is like new and you won't have to touch a thing from the start, that's "Excellent". But if it's a lot like that, but has various little things like wear marks on the seat and a loose trim piece here of there, then it's probably "Good".

BTW...mine was advertised for $4995 cash at a used car dealer near where I live (was a trade-in at a new car dealer down the road, then got bought by this smaller used car place). Edmunds said $5100 dealer retail, but since I knew it needed a few minor things, I offered $4500 cash and got it--a great deal, considering how nice a car it is.

But, yeah, have your mechanic check it out and even if there's one or two minor things that may need attention sometime, go for it--and the $6500 would be a great price to offer, even having just seen the pics and knowing the mileage on my part. Good luck :)

Oh, here's a couple pics of my new one...

Doing a great job keeping the '93 Fleetwood and the '92 Roadmaster company :shades:
    That's a beautiful collection of automobiles you have, beach. Having seen the pic of the '94 I'm considering, what is the name of exterior color, any idea?

Thanks for your advice and comments.

A3D
    The car you're looking at (according to the pic) is "Frost Beige" in color. And then, if I saw it right, the inside is Light Neutral, like my new '95.

Great color combo and definately one of the easiest to keep clean ;)
    I took the 94 FWB to my mechanic yesterday and he said it was in beautiful condition-no leaks, good hoses, needed a new fuel filter, and a flush & fill after owners replaced a water pump, etc. I took a digital pic of the SPID under the trunk lid, and spent some time decoding the RPOs and it listed the colors as below:

33T Top Color-Light, Driftwood Metallic
    33U Exterior Color-Primary, Light Driftwood Metallic
    52I Interior Trim, Lt Neutral (1)

The only one I couldn't decode was a listing "YM1"...can anyone help me with that one?

Although the rest of the interior is great and in keeping with a 32K mile auto, the leather on the front seat driver side shows more wear. Suggest a leather cleaner/restorer product?

Thanks for your input.
    A3D
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    I have a 1994 Cadillac brochure with a listing of paint colors. 33 is listed as frost beige. I don't have any codes like YM1, but my edmunds price lists show a YL1 as leather which was an option on the brougham. But edmunds codes and Cadillac's codes may be different.
    Yeah, actually, here's the thing with that color. Paint Code 33 was used on various GM vehicles and called Light Driftwood Metallic on all of them EXCEPT for the Fleetwood, where it was called Frost Beige. Same color and code, just a different name.
    Sounds TERRIFIC. Mine had two small leaks on the oil cooler lines (right in front, down low), which is SO common with these cars, I pretty much expected it anyway--same thing on our '93. The water pump being recently replaced is a VERY good thing too, as that can be something to watch out for on these cars.

But yours really does sound like it was maintained properly. As for the leather, I need to do a bit of an experiment with mine too, as the Lt. Neutral color allows some dirt to show (from the old owner's use) and there's also a tiny slit and a wear mark on the driver's side. I tried my Lexol leather cleaner quickly, but it doesn't seem effective enough to clean like I need it to, so I'm looking for something else myself right now. As for the two wear spots, I think I'm going to order a custom-color leather repair kit from the net, just not sure when.
    Just for the record, this is what my driver's seat looks like:

Not bad, and really is less noticeable in person unless you're looking for it. I just plan on getting some kind of leather repair kit like the following, to fix the small slit and also the wear mark where the leather's top finish has worn.
    Leather Magic.com
    Leather Repair Kits.com

It's all still soft and supple, and in terrific shape everywhere else--so once I get these marks fixed and the rest cleaned, it should be good as new.
    Yeah, these codes seem to vary depending on the source. I got the "33U=Light Driftwood Metallic" from Anthony Haukap's page: http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cfb.html#spid

But there is also a listing for "33U=Light Mesa Brown" on the following page: http://www.c2e.info/rpocodes/MODERNGMRPO.html

I also have the YL1 code on my sticker: "YL1 Trim Override, Upholstery, Leather/Vinyl". But the "YM1" remains a mystery. :confuse:
    I know a guy who has several well-maintained Caddys and I'll ask him what he uses and add that to the list.
    I also have a Buick brochure which has a light driftwood metallic listed which looks very much like the Cadillac brochure's frost beige. Colors are what they are, the names are probably made up by the marketing department. The YM1 could be anything as there does not seem to be any grouping of stuff starting with "Y". What I mean is that Yxx are various things, not all of them interior materials.
    is a stripe delete code. I found this searching for GM (cadillac) rpo codes.
    That's what I already posted above...it's the same color, and was called Light Driftwood everywhere EXCEPT for Caddy, who called it Frost Beige. Purely for marketing purposes, like you said.
    Check the "33T" & "33U" codes on the list I found at the url below for option codes typically found on the FWB:

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cfb.html#spid

Here's a pic of my sticker:

http://photobucket.com/albums/e101/A3D06/?action=view&current=fwb_rpos.jpg
    Right, but you did not site a source for your information, and website info is not always correct. One useful point is the current color black, code #41, called black on the Impala, mysterious on the Solstice, black onyx on the Lucerne, and black raven at Cadillac. The point here being that divisions other than Cadillac may have their own names.
    Yeah, exactly. No biggie, just color names :)
    Yeah, either way, Frost Beige or Light Driftwood, it's the same thing--but Cadillac did call it Frost Beige, according to the actual brochures from back then. Just happens when you look up the RPO codes, it comes up as the non-Caddy name sometimes.

Looks like a pretty nicely optioned car...options including Keyless Entry, Auto Dimming Rearview mirror, Locking fuel filler door, Theft Deterrent System, Brougham package, and the typical "soft" ride springs that came standard on all of them (as compared to the firmer FE2 suspension on Tow Pack. cars).

Sounds very nice ;)
    Either Frost Beige or Light Driftwood sounds better than Mesa Brown, but as Shakespeare said:

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet".

We bought the Fleetwood and I have learned of the vagaries of GM/Cadillac RPO codes. Good to know that. Thanks for all of your responses and help. I'm a graphic designer, webmaster and member of many forums, user groups, newsletters, etc. over the last nine years and I know a solid online resource when I see it.

This forum has the dedicated and knowledgeable enthusiasts that are the hallmark of all truely great online resources. I look forward to learning more about these great automobiles and this community you all have created.

A3D
  • ebbersebbers Member Posts: 6
    Last month I asked:
    "Does anyone have an experience where your radio stopped working and the antenna didn't go up? My mechanic said it could be the radio itself or some module in the antenna control...If I have to replace the radio, I'll get one with a CD player."

Everyone I asked told me that chances were high that I would need to replace the radio. So I found one with a CD player for $100 on the Internet and installed it today. The CD player works (my other radio didn't have one) and everything sounds great.
    Mike
  • texx75texx75 Member Posts: 2
    Hello fellow Caddy Owners. I inherited/endowed with my grandfather's 93 60 Special shortly before he passed away in July 2005. Even more recently, last week, the left rear fender skirt was stolen right off the vehicle in tact. Someone Knew what they were looking for and knew how to remove it with out damaging it. I reported the theft to the local authorities. If anyone know how to find such part, with the molding that comes with it, (blue, w/ grey& silver molding). I would greatly appreciate any open eyes or ears, and tips on how to recover or buy such part. Thank you!!
  • texx75texx75 Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, I have that exact problem, of sorts, CD player doesn't work right, and the antenna does not contract, stuck in extended position. and the rear Speakers are all staticy sounding, any suggestions for replacement speakers, that are the same or better?
    Try here:
    Car-Part.com
    I recently bought a 94 Fleetwood Brougham in 'good' condition and would like to replace the aftermarket audio system that came with it. The audio system is a Pioneer AM/FM/CD system that sounds good, but has only a single CD slot.

How can I replace it with (preferably) a Cadillac unit that includes a CD changer in the trunk from either a newer model Caddy or some after market unit that would be compatible?

A3D
  • 91fleet91fleet Member Posts: 1
    I have a 91 Fleetwood and When it was passed on to me originally the radio had been intermittent and worked once. I asked the local caddy dealer to look at it and they said it was dead and cost 400+ to repair (a delco cassette unit). I said no thanks and replaced it with a single disc head unit and soon it began to power in and out. After the radio installer double checked its operation he suggested that the fuse was loose -- and in fact there was an extra wire stuffed into the same slot to pickoff power (I think it was for the cell phone) it looked like an aftermarket install before my time and I pulled it out. When it was stuffed in it widened the slot and so the fuse was not snug --- in fact I don't think the fuse was even seated on my first exam. After that the radio has not been intermittent --- I asked a radio installer to try to snug up the slot - push the contacts back closer together just to get the best contact. I will at some point have the old unit re-tested and maybe re-install it if it in fact works to get back the cassete and a better reading clock unit - move the CD unit somewhere else - and select one unit via a toggle switch --- Check the fuse slot -- are any other items on the radio fuse also buggy.
  • dford2dford2 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have any 93-96 fleetwood body parts for sale or know where I can get some from? Please let me know.
  • leftdazdleftdazd Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys. My 91 fleetwood's service engine soon lite is on and i cant figure out how to pull the codes off the ecu. I got the little metal key and was told to plug it into the top right of the reciever under the dash. problem is, that isnt possible. There isnt the metal inside the connector. Queless!!! please help.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Maybe someone can suggest a website for you, but please keep in mind that direct solicitations can't be made here. Check the Membership Agreement (there's a link on the left side of the page) or email me for further details.
    This is a good site to search nationwide salvage yards for specific parts:

Car-Part.com
  • ecnecn Member Posts: 2
    I have the Fleetwood Limited Edition, mini-stretch. It has a 6 bolt x 4.75in pattern. Highly unusual. Current rims have been rusting badly and won't hold air in tires.
    Impossible to find non-chrome replacements. These rims must have been defective as OEM. Does anyone know where I can find aluminum alloy replacement rims?
    You'd have better lucking asking over in the Deville forum (that's basically what your car is), as they might have some idea.

Those were pretty rare cars, but I think the '99 models, at least, shared the same bolt pattern as a regular Deville. The '98s had the beefier suspension, and I think an extra lug on the wheels, so it might be even harder to find a set of those wheels.

But, like I said, go over to the Deville forum (this one is for the big, RWD Fleetwoods), and see what they say:
    Cadillac Deville
  • ecnecn Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the reply, sir. Not sure if I'll any luck. If I cant' find new rims, I'm selling this beast. It was nice while it lasted. ecn
  • johnromanojohnromano Member Posts: 1
    I have this model cadillac and have a problem with pinging & knocking at low RPM's. Above 30 mph it goes away. I tried high test fuel but problem persists. I am open to suggestions on how to go about solving this problem.
  • cad4pmmcad4pmm Member Posts: 3
    Though I have a 1980 Cadillac Fleetwood broghom de elegents, this seems to apply to most with tilt steering wheels, as I've know people with old cadillacs, as well as other makes with tilt steering wheel.
    A local mechanic told me to tilt the wheel all the way down. It started. I was told it was a short in the wires, but it's not! (After a year doing this short cut) I was able to turn the starter key and it was in the on position but the idiot lights never came on, could not turn the starter key completely to trigger the starter, and could not shift it out of park. After I attempt to repair the steering column I found out it was just the metal rod going from the ignition key to the ignition switch the came off (broke) from the key area. The rod has a develop a bend over the course of tilting the tilt wheel.
    The car itself has 180,000 miles. But after observing how the Cadillac manufacturer design it, it no wonder they do that. All the mechanic had to do was unbend the rod.
    I had contacted many Cadillac service dept. who said it was the ignition switch. GM had failed to make this part without a center support to keep this from happening.
    A tilt steering wheel are always going to be adjusted!
    Please do something about this or stop making tilt wheels!
    I feel this is a GM overlooked problem that should be corrected! ARE THE ANY OTHER SECRETS OR HIDDEN UPCOMING PROBLEMS THAT THEY KNOW AND DON'T TELL?
    Thanks anyway!
    I use to know someone with a 4100 cadillac engine and they told me they tend to leak coolant within the intake manifold as a result works it way into the combustion chamber. This is a common problem with these engines, and coolant (antifreeze) sealant could fix the problem.
    But (if you haven't already) contact the cadillac dealer and ask the service dept. for any recalls, etc. and you'll need to tell them your cars vin number. (worth a try)
    Good Luck.
    Also, it possible the mechanical advance springs in the distributor, (under the rotor) may be weak causing the timing to advance too quickly. Check the vacuum advance unit as well. If they check out fine, then if you had attempted the manufacturers way of properly setting the timing, with a timing light, it's also possible the computer or one of the components, usually emission related is feeding information into it and it's causing some low speed mis-timing. A diagnostic with a computer hook-up sometimes won't find certain problems, and process of elimination helps. But it does take an automotive diagnostic computer to pinpoint a computer related problem.

You mentioned about a high octane fuel. Yes, always on a V8. If you had just filled it with the high grade, give it a chance to reach from the fuel tank to the engine.
  • mlespadamlespada Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone!

Please help, I need the sunroof weatherstripping that goes directly around the sunroof glass. Does anybody know where I can get it??????

I drive a 1991 Fleetwood Brougham. :confuse:
  • ric81ric81 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I have a 94 fleetwood brougham. About a month ago I was in a little accident :sick: . It totaled the 86 mustang, and unfortunately, shattered my headlight ;) . I've been looking online for a replacement but all I keep coming up with are 93's or older. First question is, will a 93 headlight and corner light work on a 94 :confuse: And my other question is if you know a website where I could find what I need :confuse:
    Yep, as long as it's for a '93-96 model (no difference), the light will work.

In the meantime, a GREAT place to find a light or any part is here:

http://www.car-part.com

It's a service that allows salvage yards nationwide to inventory and list their parts for sale, and you can find some great deals on hard to find parts.
  • pcbangpcbang Member Posts: 1
    :cry: I have a 1985 Cadillac Fleetwood FWD with a v8 4.1 liter engine. I got a 1986 alternator and the wire connector is different… the 1985 had 3 holes with 4 wires (a, b, c) that connects to the alternator. However in the 1986 alternator, the plug or adapter is different with 2 holes and only 2 wires (a big red one and a smaller black one). Is there a way to cut the wires and connect them to the adapter? On the adapter there are symbols that say “S” “F” “L” “P” but it only has 2 wires. How do I know which wires go to what? I can’t afford to buy a new alternator of 1985. I left those wires out and because I had to go somewhere, (not too far), I just drove my car… when coming back home, the service light came on and then the lights in the car started to go dim, example the clock. Then the speed limit gauge started acting funny like a screw was loose… going back and forth by itself. I was almost home so I forced it to the garage but just before parking it, smoke started to come out from below the car. I immediately turned the engine off and pushed the car into the garage but the next day when I tried to turn the car on (ignite) it, everything seemed dead! Did I end up making a more problem? Help me plzzzzzzz!!!!!
  • jugglesjuggles Member Posts: 1
    i've got a 95 brougham and i want to drop it 2 in. and be able to put it back to stock so i was wondering if any of you know where i can get some shocks and springs for it 2in lower than stock
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    You might want to check out the Speed Shop: Tuning & Modification board for some suggestions.
  • worklerbatelyworklerbately Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 Cadillac Brogham with a secuirty system fault
    it is an OEM system. any way to remove it.
  • hearseownerhearseowner Member Posts: 1
    i recently bought this car for my 16 yo son. I am looking for an aftermarket wheel 17 to 20 inch that will fit it. it's a fwd fleetwood brougham. anyone know of a company that sells or makes a wheel for this car? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob
  • todds95todds95 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 1995 FWB AWSOME! Showroom condition and it turns some heads couldn't see the picks of yours could you post them again? Also, do you know where I could get some original cadi. chrome rims for that year?
  • roygarcia420roygarcia420 Member Posts: 1
    i need help on finding someone that can tune a computer for my 93 fleetwood cadillac brougham RWD i dropped a lunati cam and its not mixing air and fuel right or is there any other way i could solve this problem it would be great
  • fleetwoodziiifleetwoodziii Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if I'm in the rite place for this but I own a 66 Fleetwood Limo just dropped a elderbrock 600 on the stock 429 manifold(bolted rite on with no adapter plate,it was sweet-sweet)anyhoo,anyone know what kind of transmission "rock crusher" similar, basically unbreakable w/a whollle lotta torque with a bell housing that will bolt up to a 429.It has a turbo 350 now as you should know with a stock 429.Any body done a high performance tranny upgrade to a old school fleetwood and if so what did ya use..Thnx :mad:
  • longo3927longo3927 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone added aftermarket speakers to their 94-96 fleetwood and how do you get around those round speaker enclosures in rear deck. Also do you have any problems with the ohms matching up with replacement speakers. Heard that the rear 8" speakers were 10 ohms
  • nolsonnolson Member Posts: 1
    i jus my first caddy , a 93 fleetwood, how do i pop the hood open..HELP!