Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Fleetwood

beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
Anyone else here have a Fleetwood, specifically the rare 1993-1996 models?

We have a 1992 Buick Roadmaster Ltd. and just bought a matching 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham that we'll be picking up next weekend. As I said, these things are rare (it was hard to find the right one...really hard!), but I wanted to see if anyone on Edmunds had one and maybe we could start sharing information here, including pictures!

Comments

• beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Are you here yet?? I really want to hear about your '93 Brougham! I have some pics of ours...hopefully you have some too!
    I'm going to post one or two of the '93 Brougham we bought soon to keep this thread alive (I hope!).
  • norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    Thanks for the note on the Buick board. My 93 Fleetwood Brougham has 110000 miles and looks new. It has every option except Sliding roof and CD player. The original purchaser got sold on a set of chrome wheels. At first, I didn't like them as I tend tobe a purist with my cars. However, they grew on me and now I like them. The only repairs to this car, other than maintainance, was a A/C compressor and condenser, starter motor, radiator, and rear automatic antenna. I use the Fleetwood mainly for my trips to Florida and occasional driving in this area. I am aware of 4 other 93 - 96 Fleetwoods in this area, on has 180000 miles and still looks good. I have yet to see one with rust problems. I live in the Traverse City Michigan area. Where do you live? Hope your Fleetwood turns out to be as good as mine. I also have a 1950 Cadillac series 62 sedan with 82000 original miles. Enjoy the ride.
    We live in southern Delaware, really close to Rehoboth Beach. Our Fleetwood only has 88k and is beautiful. It was originally a specially ordered car by a man in Florida, and one of the last '93s built; his name is on a gold Cadillac plaque on the dash. After he died (I think), his son in Bethesda, Maryland got the car and had it for several years, but the past year or so was driving it less and less because it was too big and getting harder to park with his age. He bought a new Park Avenue that was easier to manuever and decided to get rid of the Fleetwood.

Nothing is wrong with it either and it has several new parts. The man we bought it from used to take it to the Caddy dealer twice a year for a check-up and told them to replace or fix anything that needed it. After looking it over, we're having two minor things fixed tomorrow. The front brake pads will be replaced, and a slight oil leak around the seal of the oil cooler will be fixed.

I'll post pictures soon!
    Oh, I forgot to ask! Does you '93 have remote keyless entry? I only ask because ours had no remotes when we bought it, so I got two off Ebay, but have been unable to program them. I can't find the right wire harness that they're programmed from, and some other people on a Caddy sight are telling me that it might not have ever had RKE, because it was an option back then. But every standard feature list I look at lists it as being standard.

Any ideas?
    Here's a link to pics of our Fleetwood and Roadmaster!

http://community.webshots.com/album/82288071vwMFgB
    Great pictures of both Fleetwood and Roadmaster. Is the Roadmaster also yours? Almost twins. I would be interested in your comments relative to a comparison of the two. Yes my Brougham has remote key less entry. It is an option on both Fleetwood & Fleetwood Brougham. I lost my remote on the beach in Florida last year. I checked dealer price fora new one--over $110.00 plus $18.00 for the special key with the coded slug in bedded. A friend's son sells Cadillacs in Detroit. and he got me one free. There is a programing procedure that is not difficult. I did my own and it was reasonably easy. The pig tail wire is in the trunk behind the left side trim panel (cloth). Tomorrow I'll look up the procedure in the shop manual which is in the car up in the barn. Can't look tonight because of no electricity in the barn. From the looks of your left door trim, you have the memory seat option. Does it have the multiple lumbar adjustments and heated seats. From the looks of the seat features it must cost as much as a cheap car to build. My Brougham is Frost Beige (looks like gold) with Neutral leather. I managed to get a copy of the original factory invoice which shows the suggested list price as $37615.00. Mine was built & shipped on 2/17/93 so it is mid year production. There is a lot of information we can share in future posts. I'll get the programing procedure to you tomorrow or Friday. Enjoy the ride
    Thanks for the information! Yes, the Roadmaster is ours also, and an exact replica of the Fleetwood as far as colors go. It's a '92 Limited model, with every option also, along with 184k miles, and not a single problem!

Our Fleetwood has every option except for the sunroof, and now I guess RKE, but I'm not exactly sure. What's odd about ours is that it was a custom built factory order by an older gentlemen in Zyphr (sp?) Hills, Florida. He ordered it late in the '93 model year, and as such, it is a June 1993 build. When you look up production #'s, it lists around 29,500 or so for the first year, but ours is a # around 30,000. I think it was one of the last, just before the new '94s came out. His name is still on a gold Cadillac plaque on the center of the dash just above the radio, and says "Built Especially For:" and then his name.

His son in Bethesda, MD then got the car in 1997, and had it ever since. We just had it in the shop today, and had the front brake pads replaced and an oil leak around the oil cooler fixed by replacing the seal. Total cost was $170 for both AND labor--not bad at all. Now everything is just about perfect!

I look forward to sahring stories with you over time, and that we get another few people on here!
    Following is the procedure for programming the remote keyless system: Look behind the left trunk trim for an angle body brace. Attached to the brace is a wire harness with a female plastic connector with nothing plugged into it. This is the programming connector. Turn on the ignition. Ground the programming connector with a ground wire to a good ground on the body. The door locks and trunk lock will cycle indicating the receiver is in the programing mode. Depress any button on the transmitter (only once). The door locks & trunk lock will cycle once confirming the transmitter code is programmed. Any previous transmitter code now has been erased. If programming a second transmitter, depress any button on the second transmitter once. This must be done before the programming connector is disconnected The door locks and trunk lock will cycle again for the 2nd transmitter. The programming connector ground must be disconnected. Verify the operation. Hope this works. I have several questions and comments that I'll come back with. I have visitors for a few days. I'll be back after. Enjoy the ride.
    Okay, thanks!!! Your directions are the clearest I've gotten to date. Now my only problem is that I think this car really doesn't have keyless entry..or any of the wires for it! I look forward to hearing from you in a few days!
    The easiest way to tell if your car has key less is to look inside the trunk up above the spare tire. You will see a wire harness with about 10wires going through the package shelf to the receiver assembly which is located under the rear center stop lite cover assembly. The receiver assembly is held to the package shelf metal with two silver looking metal clips that protrude through the package shelf into the trunk on either side of the before mentioned wire harness. Let me know what you find. My Fleetwood vin is 1G6DW5272PR 721243 built & shipped on 2/ 17/ 93. It is number 21243 produced at the Arlington Tx. plant. The Arlington plant produced Fleetwoods, Roadmasters, and Chevrolet Caprice Wagons. The Willow Run Mi. plant produced Caprice sedans. Willow Run went out of production in 1994 or 1995.What is your Vin? Does your Fleetwood have a full size spare or the mini? Your comments on the spare?? I like the mini spare because it takes less room, is lighter,and easier to handle. You mention a leak at the oil cooler. What oil cooler? Where was the leak? Engine oil leak? Transmission oil leak? Strange thing happened to mine this week. Battery started leaking and acid was all over the frame rail,battery tray etc. Cleaned up O.K. with baking soda and old tooth brush. I painted the frame, tray etc so it now looks good again. Tomorrow is new battery day. Probably $60 - $80. The battery was 5 years old so no big loss. Enjoy the ride.
    Well, the leak was above the mount for the oil filter, which, according to my father is the oil cooler, but I'm not 100% sure. According to the mechanic, it's a common problem with certain GM cars because the seal there flattens out with age and a leak starts. It was a very, very slight leak and we don't think it was there when we bought it, but appeared a few days later. Anyway, it's all fixed and the front has new brake pads too.

I'm still going to go out and look for the wire for the RKE, but I think it never had it as an option. Why, I have no idea. The original owner went to the trouble of custom ordering the car late in the '93 model year, getting everything but the sunroof, trailering package, full-size spare, and possibly RKE. Plus, he ordered a custom red interior, which I have yet to see on another Fleetwood, but probably is out there on more of them.

Our car had the mini spare when we bought it, just like our Roadmaster, but we've since changed that. My father hates mini spares and will not use them, so he saved two chrome wheels and whitewalls from the '79 GMC van he traded for the Buick, using one for the spare in each car. Now each has a full-size spare. It takes up more room and is heavier, but I feel better knowing there's a real wheel & tire in there if needed.

Our car's vin # is 1G60W5278PR730299, and, as such, was number 30,299 produced in June of 1993, one of the last for the model year. I guess this is better than it being one of the first built!

We just took it on a relatively long road trip yesterday, 150 miles each way on the highway. It was awesome! I'm used to cruising in our 2002 Avalanche, but the Fleetwood was made for the highway! Even more shocking is how fast and turbine-smooth the car is. I thought for having the "old" 350 before they put in the LT1, but it really zings! It pulls like a freight train and is sikly smooth and silent all the way. The only thing I don't like is how it has more road noise than our Roadmaster. We think it's the tires. They're about 2/3rd's worn, Pinnacle Atlas whitewalls, and seem to be quite noisy on the highway and quite thumpy. I think they're kind of stiff and the tread pattern isn't all that quiet. Not that it is nearly as loud as our 2000 Chrysler 300M that we got rid of, but it should be quieter, at least road noise wise.

We're going to try and get at least another half to full year out of them and then buy a full new set. What do you have on yours?

Oh, and I forgot to mention. Back in April, my father started looking for a car to replace his '79 GMC conversion van that was on it's last legs. He wanted a '93 or newer Fleetwood then, but coulcn't find any. On a whim, when he was out car shopping, he remembered a small used car dealer that usually had Caddy's and Buicks. Pulled in there, and found the Roadmaster. Bought it the next week and loved it since. Then, after a few weeks, we saw a dark cherry Fleetwood while out shopping and I said "I'd drive that". Suprisingly, he said "Maybe we'll trade the Chevelle for one". Within two days, we had the '69 Chevelle listed for sale, and started looking for Fleetwoods. The first three we looked at were all black, and each one was in worse condition than the one before--the last two were really ripped up. Then we found this one and cut a check on the spot for only $4,500.

It's meant to be my first car of sorts to use to get to school, but is still my fathers in the end. Oh well, who could complain about driving a loaded Caddy to high school and not having to spend a cent...?!
    Your Fleetwood is a very late production also from Arlington. A late production car can be a problem car only if there is a major re-design the next model year. This is not the case with 1993 Fleetwood. The 1994 is almost identical. I haven't studied them but the only difference is the 94 - 96 has dual exhaust. If you will look at the option sticker located on the underside of the trunk lid, it lists all the options the car was built with. Option "AUO" is "lock control remote". I have General tires and they are noiser than I like. I purchased based on load rating, wear rating and price. I bought at Discount Tire Co. They have stores all over the country. They are only in the tire business and don't try to sell shocks, brakes, mufflers etc. Keep in mind that in 1993 the noise suppression technology was not as good as it is today. Paying $4500 for a 93 Fleetwood Brougham borders on being criminal. I looked at a 1994 Fleetwood Brougham in Florida last winter that had 18000 original miles and was mint. They were asking $19000. They were nuts, but it gives you an idea what a super clean Cad is worth. I wouldn't let mine go for under $6000 even though it has 110400 miles. It is like a 40000 mile car. I would suggest replacing the in line fuel filter unless you know that it has been changed. Fuel filters are usually neglected until your injectors get clogged. A filter costs about $18.00, $30 to $40 installed at a shop. Better than $300 -$400 to clean injectors. It is an easy job. It is located under the car just in front of the left rear wheel. Let me know what you find on the RKE. Enjoy the ride.
    Our car has no RKE, I'm sure of that now. The code "AUO" is not there, and neither is the wiring harness. It makes me very mad because I've gotten very used to the remotes with my mother's cars, and can't live without them!

About the only way I'll be able to get RKE now is to have an alarm system installed. Someone else on a Cadillac forum will sell me one for $40 new in box, but I'd have to have it installed. That only presents a problem the car is technically my fathers and he DOES NOT want me to touch anything other than cosmetic.

"Paying $4500 for a 93 Fleetwood Brougham borders on being criminal."

I know! This car is THAT good too! When the guy told us someone else wanted to look at it that day, we knew we better give him a check right then and there before going home because the car would be gone. He listed it Friday for $4,750, and we bought it Sunday morning for $4,500. Both the Fleetwood and our Roadmaster were awesome deals. I actually want to buy another one (preferably a '95-'96) in a couple of years.

I don't know what the tires are on the car now. There are two words on them: "Pinnacle" and "Atlas". I don't know which is the brand. Either way, their quite worn, the passenger side ones have black scuffs, and they're kind of noisy. They're 235-70-15, but we're going to put 235-75-15's on, since they fill the wheel well in more and that's whats on our Buick, and we like them. I want to get Yokohama Avid Tourings (great ratings, 80k warranty, and only $54 at Tire Rack), but my father wants to buy something from someone local for added convenience. I don't know what we'll end up with.

Do you have any digital pictures of your car? I'd like to see it! I still have a lot more to share with you, so we'll surely keep this thread alive!
    Your tire brand is Atlas. Been around for years but not very big seller. Haven't seen Atlas tires for many years. I don't know anything about yokahama tires, sound Japanese which turns me off. Firestone/Bridgestone is also Japanese owned. have had good service out of Goodyear tires over the years. I suppose any tire company can make a bad batch of tires from time to time. It's the luck of the draw. Big surprise that your car doesn't have RKE. The original owner must have had something against it. I don't think it cost that much when you consider the total car price of #35000 +++. I don't think I would try to get an after market RKE as it may mess up the electronics. You should learn to use a key like in the old days... Ha Ha. I think you will be pleased with the larger 235-75-15 tires. I think thwey give a better ride. White walls??? I hope so. The Fleetwood deserves whitwalls in my opinion. I don't have a didital camera nor would I know how to send pictures. Perhaps that will be on my shopping list along with a scanner. Be back in about a week. Enjoy the ride.
    Of course white walls! Any Fleetwood or Roadmaster has to have them...the cars without them look TERRIBLE! Whatever we do get and whenever we get them, they will be white walls and 235-75-15's, because the 235-70-15's just look too tiny to be on a car this big.

Do the 75's fit properly? The only thing we could think of is that they might be a little tight in the rear. They'll fit, but just be tight. Otherwise, a wider sidewall can only help with the ride.

I'll just have to stick with the darn old keys for now. I can't do anything about it, because it's not exactly my name on the title. More and more, I'm thinking about buying another Fleetwood or Roadmaster (a third!) just for myself. I'd love to find one cheap that needed a few things (we've seen several like this; ours was cheap but needed nothing!). We'll see what happens. I'm liking our 2002 Chevy Avalanche less and less now, which is strange because it used to be my favorite out of everything we've had...these old Roadmasters and Fleetwoods are terrific!
    ...does anyone else have one of these awesome, silky road monsters? Norb will be back soon I think...won't you?!
    Where'd you go...??
    I'm back. Had a festival in town and I was very busy. I entered my 1950 Cadillac series 62 4-door in the festival car show. Not restored, just a nice original car that is fun to drive. The 235-75-15 tire will fit nice even in the rear wheel well. When jacking up the rear to change or rotate wheels, the clearance is tight but no problem. I have been tempted to look for a cheap 93-96 Fleetwood to store in my barn just for spare parts. Probably would save a bundle on future parts purchases, especially if my Fleetwood got body damage. My Fleetwood comes out tomorrow. Going to Traverse City for the day. I always look foreward to driving the big float. Enjoy the ride.
    Nice to have you back!

"I always look foreward to driving the big float."

So do I!!! I'm still trying to look for reasons to drive it whenever I can (I'll get to start driving it to high school in a few weeks...), I just don't want to put many miles on it! Right now it's at 89,150 but I just don't want it to hit 90k yet! I know it will sometime, but for some reason, I just want to baby and pamper this car to death--more so than even our flawless black Avalanche. I guess that's what makes it a Cadillac!

Also, thanks for the info. on the tires, as we hope to get a new set of white walls in the bigger size sometime next spring or summer. Not that we like the current Pinnacle's all that much, but they still have quite a bit of tread left.

I just need to find a used factory radio from another Fleetwood, though. The radio function works terrific, but the cassette player just goes forward, back, forward, back, and then ejects a tape. I don't know if it's broken or just dirty. I'd love to find one with the CD and cassette player, or just fix this one. Our Roadmasters cassette player and radio work awesome, but rarely get used--of course!

"I have been tempted to look for a cheap 93-96 Fleetwood to store in my barn just for spare parts."

Good idea! Not that these silky tanks of Cadillac beauty ever break, but having some spare pieces can't hurt.

I'll be back soon...
    The tape [player is not serviceable except by a radio technician. Suggest clean tape pick up inside tape door with tape cleaning kit or use a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. Thats what the shop manual suggests. I would also keep trying to use the tape and work the tape switches and in particular the switch button.(on-off button on the radio) Do this repeatedly, it won't hurt anything. Also look inside the tape door to see if you see anything foreign like a old piece of tape or dirt or ??? Many time electronics quit working or work erratically due to lack of use. Hold the tape door open with a pencil while using a strong flash lite. If you plan keeping the Fleetwood,I would suggest investing in a Shop Manual. The 93 manuals several hundred pages and is loaded with easy to follow instructions even for the novice. I found on at a antique car swap meet. It was not on display, I had to ask specifically for it. It cost me $50 but I think well worth it. Enjoy the ride.
    I think I'm going to start trying to look inside and try and clean the tape deck. So far I've tried it about 5 or 6 times, but haven't gotten very far. It's starting to bother me though, because school is starting next week, and I'm going to have to drive 20-25 minutes each way and not be able to play any CD's or tapes. Ahh, I only ever listen to the radio anyway!

What's to complain about...getting to take a huge, loaded to the max, gorgeous Cadillac to high school everyday!? My only worry is that I get assigned a parking spot easy to manuever in and out of, and not crowded with everyone else. This is one big Caddy after all!

Oh, and I have been thinking about getting a shop manual, just not sure that I'd ever need it. Sure, it'd be nice to know a few hundred things about the car, but I really don't need any of it. Maybe some day in the future, just not now.
  • jamieson44jamieson44 Member Posts: 1
    Found this site only a short while ago.......'cause just last month, I purchased a 1995 Fleetwood Brougham. It is in pristine shape, undercoated every year, all optioned out, low mileage 63,000....immaculate inside and out, plus michelin tires, 'cause he didn't like the original ones. Think I paid too much $9600.00 US$, but when I am behind the wheel, it seems cheap. Didn't want to pay that muich, but the owner who I knew well, showed me all the maintenance records, original window price sheet, video, Cadillac calculator, Cadillac pen, credit card key, and the two original 24 carat gold plated keys that had never been used, I knew I was hooked. I still wonder whether I paid too much, but after reading how pleased others are with their Caddys I feel better. Question....how badly did I screw myself on the price.
    Hey, nice to see a new person!! Have you seen the pictures of my '93 Fleetwood Brougham and '92 Roadmaster Ltd.? The link should have been up farther in the posts.

$9600 for a '95? That really doesn't sound bad at all, if it's maintained as well as it sounds, and taking into account that it's a pretty much bullet proof car, from a reliability standpoint. I absolutely love our all white beauty with special red leather interior and get looks when I take it out for a drive. I wish it had the LT1 like yours, as well as the bigger mirrors (you can't see anything out of the tiny little ones on both of our cars!). But, as is, the old 350 does quite well and is virtually silent, not to mention always gets around 25MPG.

What colors is it? What options does it have? Do you have any pics? I love these big GM cars (except for the cheap-o Caprice--yuck!), especially the Fleetwood! We saw some very nasty, beat up ones while searching for one, but are still amazed at the condition of the white '93 we found with 88k miles for only $4500! It was a special order car by an older gentlemen near Tampa Florida where it spent half of its life before coming to the man's son in Bethesda, MD. We bought it from him last month.

All in all, you didn't get screwed at all IMO, because a '95 Fleetwood Brougham with 63k and in immaculate condition is well worth $9600. Again, welcome and I can't wait to hear more about your Caddy!
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...a '95 Cadillac Fleetwood in immaculate condition is worth more than ANY new car on the market.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,920
    I just love them. Had a 70 Deville convertible that I restored when I was in college. That 472V8 powered the car quickly and effortlessly. Question: The 5.7 V8 in the last RWD Fleetwoods, was this the Chevy small block engine, or the modified OLDS 350? I used to know, but can't remember. I always thought the 350 OLDS engine was one of GM's best.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Concerning the '93 Fleetwood (last to have the "old" 350 before the LT1 in '94, and the one we have), I really don't know. I do know that there's something slightly different between this engine and the 350 in our '92 Roadmaster, with virtually all the same mechanicals. Basically it's just the air cleaner/intake design, but the Caddy also runs a little different. Quite significantly smoother, silkier, and about the same as far as power.

Hmm, I'll have to check on this one!
    ....where is everyone hiding?! I bet you're all just out admiring or cruising in your beautiful, rare Fleetwoods! Our white & red beauty seems to be getting nicer everyday, and I still can't believe the immaculate condition that it's in.

Just the other day someone was talking about the car at school (I drive it there daily) and said it had to have been a '98 or '99! No one believes it's a 1993 model year car! It's just so beautiful and timeless, I want to build it its own room, and preserve it forever (taking it out for cruises on sunny days of course!).
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Reopening by request ... enjoy!
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    I will point out that the 94-96 models got the tuned port injection 5.7 engine that was both better for fuel economy and power.
  • paldipaldi Member Posts: 210
    Still got the Fleetwood? Mine's a 1994. Black on black and still going strong! Have a leak in the rear self level system though. Yanked the fuse to the air pump for now. Running blackwall tires. Looks like a Caddy Impala.
    Just told by the state inspection people that both sides leak and it soaked the brakes. Seems to stop OK. Cylinders were replaced 100k miles ago. Can the brakes be cleaned or must they be replaced too? 1994 Fleetwood. Drums on the back.
  • traincompboxtraincompbox Member Posts: 1
    Howdy all! I'm a new Fleetwood owner ('93) w/149K miles. The car has a clean history and very little work to get it back to pristine condition.

I'd like a few opinions...The vinyl roof is in need of replacement. I'm teetering on the fence whether to replace or peel (& paint if necessary). My past history with these tops (on GM products) say they like to rust from underneath. The trim at the RR pillar is already loose (I suspect rust).

Thanks for the help.
    Repaint will likely be required. Bonsider just removing it and paint roof to match rest or paaint entire car.
  • pbkirbypbkirby Member Posts: 1
    I have a line on a low mileage (38K) Fleetwood Brogham that I would use as a daily driver for low price. Car was owned by an older lady who kept it in mint condition. What are the common problems, service items. Considering customizing with larger wheels, updated stereo and such, nothing to "pimp" Any thoughts on ownership would be appreciated.
    Be very careful the distributor is subject to failure if it gets wet. Don't spray that area of the engine. If the water pump leaks, replace it right away, don't wait! It leaks into the distributor!

Larger wheels would be good to do and relatively cheap. Mine are black walls, the car looks like a Caddy-Impala.

I was considering painting the lower chromed molding and perhaps the bumpers to match the rest of the car. Mine's black on black.

Keep watch on the hood. The paint on the hood is the first to go. Mine has very fine cracks in the clear coat.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Seems to be plenty of coolant, but a hose blew last summer. We cut out the plastic fitting and replaced it with a piece of copper pipe. The fitting we removed had a restriction inside it. Now on acceleration I briefly get a low coolant light. More frustrating is the lack of heat until the engine warms up - say after 5 miles. Bad thermostat maybe?
  • billynugzbillynugz Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys, my neighbor is selling his 95 fleetwood 190,000km(ALL HIGHWAY)its has all the options that wer avalible in 95, and the body looks great he wants 6500 for it is that good ? and how hard are the fleetwoods to maintain what other questions should I ask him.
    These are great cars and properly cared for will last a long time. Mine has 220,000 miles and has always been garaged and detailed frequently. Engine uses a quart in 4,000 and the tranny shifts like it did when I bought her with 23k miles in 1995. Black on black is a great combination - leather has some creases of course but no cracks, tears or rub marks. Had a heater problem traced to a thermostat and a broken rear window regulater. Also replaced rear wheel bearings, water pump, fuel accumulater, ignition switch, distributer, and spark plugs, brakes tires and routine stuff. Really low maintenance car and not too expensive to repair, like say an old BMW.

After 10 years the cars arn't antiques so the value hasn't started rising. But you couldn't ask for a more comfortable, imposing, reliable car! The driveline is used in police crusers and taxi cabs. Strong! I say go and get it! The price is right! Condition is everything for this puppy!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    Mine is not for sale - what do you think it is worth?
    Just want to let people know that the photo of the Fleetwood Broughm shown above is not a photo of my actual car. Mine doesn't have the vinal roof. I didn't want it because they don't hold up. I don't have any digital photos of my '94 Fleetwood, but I do own one and have for 9 years.

Keep an eye on the rear wheel bearings - if they go bad they take the axle shafts with them. So replace before they break. The spark plug wires should be changed before 100k miles also the water pump. If the pump leaks it gets into the distributer and frys it. Very expensive.
  • 3caddies3caddies Member Posts: 4
    My '94 had a short in the compressor. I don't know if they all do this, but mine began to manifest an annoying harmonic vibration a various speeds. It was like the u-joints were bad or driveshaft out of balance. Had u-joints replaced, driveshaft balanced, and a number of other things done without fixing the problem. Replaced the compressor and got the self-level sytem going again and the noise went away.
    You can add a couple of grand and probably get one with less than half that mileage. I have had my '94 over 10 years and it has 193K on it. Was going to sell it and drive my wife's '98 Seville when I got her a new DeVille, but I have decided it is worth more to me than to most anyone else. With front engine and rear wheel drive, these cars are simple to maintain. Just keep up with normal maintenance.
    WOW ! Ok thanks guys, right now im driving a 94 honda civic (I needed a car and the price was right). So Im going to sell it and get the fleetwood if there is anything eltse you guys could tell me that would be cool. The 95 fleetwood does have the vinal top, is that bad ? also I plane to make this car a dayly driver,summer and winter.

Thanks in advance
    Keep the Civic - just park it in the trunk! I'm sure you'll love the Caddy. If the vinal roof is in good shape it show its been garage kept.
    Ok, I went to test drive it today and the car would'nt start the owner of the car and I thought it might be floded. The owner had the battery out of the car for a bit and he said when he put the battery back in it fired up first try. Is this a common practice ?
    You can't "flood" the fuel injected engine. I'd want to know why the battery was out in the first place. If the engine wouldn't turn over, the battery could have been bad or undercharged, or the terminals could have been dirty. If the engine was turning over but not starting, the problem is fuel or spark.
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    If a fuel injector is leaking, the engine can flood. My 98 Aurora had a leaking fuel pressure regulator that caused flooding.

What is true is that pumping the gas pedal will not cause flooding.
    Alright, he got it running and I took it around the block (sweet ride) the owner said that he put a bit of anti-freeze in with the fule and it was good to go (that just flat out confused me)I live in Canada and we have had some freeze-thaw conditions so the owner thought it could have been a mosture issue. I was 100% but now im about 80% and I found out driving it today that the climant controle needs phreion(free-on)the owner said if the air conditioning doesnt work neither will the heater.

Questions:
    Whats up with the anti freeze in the gas tank ?

How hard is it to fix the air conditioner and heater ?
    It may be time to start walking away from this one, especially if you are going to pay more than $4K for it. "Anti-freeze" for the gas tank actually takes care of excess moisture. Moisture in the gas tank can freeze a line in severe cold weather. As for your A/C and heater, it should be checked by a competent mechanic. The A/C system uses R134 rather than freon. Since the heater doesn't work either, the problem may be in the climate control assembly. These problems aren't particularly hard to fix, but could run up to $1000 or more real quick, depending on what the problems turn out to be. Take your $6500 and buy a Fleetwood with fewer miles on it. You can buy a nice one with everything working for that kind of money.