Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima: Stolen Headlights!!

Comments

• mk1228mk1228 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy a 03 Maxima, but this discussion has me concerned. Does anyone know if the Infiniti I35 has the same problem as the Maxima with the headlights being stolen?
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Yes, there is something you can do. You can have stickers such as "This car does not have Xenon headlights anymore - they were stolen a year ago" made and stick them all over the car. This should turn away some would be thieves.
  • darbowdarbow Member Posts: 30
    Just bought a used 02 Max. I do have a garage and work in the country, hope no one steals my HID's!! THanks for this post, i lowered my comp.insurance deductible to $250 instead of $500 after seeing these problems.
  • mparis1mparis1 Member Posts: 107
    everybody read post no. 111. does anybody know of a similar suit in new york state. how to become part of a class action?SHAME ON YOU NISSAN. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER PRODUCT. They could have put out non-xenon replacements. but never did. Letting customers pay for replacements, higher insurance costs and even charging for the "so-called" bracket fix......which still does damage to the car. SHAME ON YOU NISSAN..........Hope YOU EAT ALL THE RETURNED ---LEASE CARS. What fool would buy a 2002/2003 maxima??
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    How about the 48 states that aren't New York or New Jersey? Seriously, this isn't even an issue in the rest of the US.
  • peej22peej22 Member Posts: 5
    I too owned a 02 Maxima GLE. The HID headlights were stolen two times. The first occured while parked in front of my home, the second while in my drive way. The damage was $2100 and $4100 respectfully. I sold the car immediately after the second incident. I went with a Mitsubishi Endeavor 04. I got $17,500 on the trade-in, no money down and 0% financing. I now have peace of mind concerning my vehicle. I refused to purchase a car with HID lights, just dont want to deal with the headache. If anyone know about the class action suit. Please e-mail me at [email protected]
  • toucanettoucanet Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone had their xenon headlights stolen on their 2004 Maxima? Although I've been seeing 2002 & 2003 Maximas with this problem, I'm just curious if it has started on 2004 Maximas.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    I just ran across this discussion...a couple weeks ago I saw a 2002-03 Maxima driving through Morris Plains, NJ with the headlights missing! I thought this a bit of an oddity until I saw the news reports about the NJ lawsuit. Personally I hate those Xenon lights...I hope Nissan has to rip them all out and replace them with normal halogens. But anyway, just thought I would add another data point.

-Andrew L
  • tsx4metsx4me Member Posts: 10
    Finally somewhere to vent. It never occurred to me to seek advice from this forum until recently. My mother WAS the proud owner of a 2001 MAXIMA, but not anymore. If you have one get rid of it before it's re-sale or trade-in value disappears! My mom had hers headlights stolen twice!! There are no hood locks, special kits (only available upstate), or alarms to deter the thieves. And if you think putting on the regular white lights to replace your XENON's guess what? The will still take them thinking they are the blue ones. Nissan could not do anything for us, and her 2001 with only 13K was worth 16K at trade in!!!!! We were almost forced to get out of it before we were completely over under. Solution: trade in for 04 MAXIMA and put gap insurance on car. NISSAN reports that the corrected the problem, we'll all soon see. My suggestion to car manufacturers... MAKE ALL HEADLIGHT THE SAME and no on will want them because they already have them duh!!! Nissan could learn a few things from Acura or Lexus.

P.S. takes about 45 secs. to take those lights according to the repair shop.

Good Luck, may all XENON's stay protected

K.Coss

2004 TSX black/ebony
    2004 TL anthracite/ camel
    BRETFRAZ, please do not defend NISSAN, at least on this board. This is a design flaw. Had they made the headlight more difficult to steal as opposed to the four (4) quatro PLASTICS screws that hold them in. Also has the incorporated XENON into all their models, no one would want them. They only fit on other MAXIMA's without XENON's.
        The CAMRY is not flawed by the way just an overall good car, that when sold in parts is very expensive(more than the Max.) The NISSAN 2001-2002 MAXIMA, yes that year design is flawed, Consider that for the new generation MAXIMA white (regular) lights are the option and XENON are standard, I guess this may fix this problem. My heart goes out to all XENON owners

K. Coss
    2004 TSX black/ ebony
    2004 TL anthricte/ camel
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,229
    to defend Nissan as YOU have to bash it. Unfortunately for you, I agree with Bret. I just don't see it as a flaw. Nissan made it easy for the DIY's to change/replace the light. How were they to know that lowlifes would steal the lights? As info, how would you like it if the lights were made in such a manner to require replacement by only the dealer? Imagine how you'd feel paying the mega dollar charge from the dealer for the labor on top of the lights!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I just don't see it as a flaw.

Maybe not a flaw but it certainly doesn't qualify as brilliant (no pun intended) engineering! :-)

And, yes, Bret and everyone else are free to offer their opinions. I think tsx4me was just being dramatic!

tidester, host
    sorry Bretffraz, if I came accross a bit strong.....I just feel this could have been anticipated with proper research.

Peace Out!

Kelsey
    They pop the door handle off, disconnect and connect certain wires that lower the two front windows, (this bypasses the factory alarm they then proceed to pop the hood unscrew the healdights( 4 screws), and cut the cable. Smart thinking by NISSAN? u decide....

Kelsey
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,229
    signed Kelsey, but your profile shows Kelset. Which is correct?
    The correct spelling is Kelsey....
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    tsx4me - FYI the 2001 Maximas do not have the Xenon headlights. You don't know what you are talking about.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    can be debated as good/bad. The Mazda RX-8 has HID low beams. To remove, first remove front of car ;-). Really. Those owners pray they don't get broken they are so hard to get off. Maybe somewhere in between would be perfect.
    YO! square chill...I stand corrected it was a 2002 MAXIMA

Kelsey
  • bad_nissanbad_nissan Member Posts: 1
    Hey all...first and foremost...NISSAN SUUUUUCK!! I've had a 97 Maxima and loved it, so when I sold it, without question, I went back to Nissan and got this cursed 2003 SE Maxima. THE BIGGEST MISTAKE!! This is a list of all the things that's happened so far...tire blow up-$350, windshield cracked-$300, stolen headlight-$3,100, dead battery-$50, stolen headlights again-$3,000. I am utterly disappointed with Nissan!! I hate this car!!! And I will never ever buy another Nissan.
    Thank you for letting me vent ;)
  • georged98georged98 Member Posts: 34
    It doesn't sound like it's Nissan's problem that you had a blown tire, someone else stole your headlights or something cracked your windshield. Why blame Nissan for your misfortune. This could happen to any car, not because it's just a Nissan.
  • skyrockerskyrocker Member Posts: 1
    Do what i did, Buy aftermarket headlights or you can buy 01 headlights, aftermarket projection headlights can be bought around $250 off ebay, installation is a bit trickly, if you understand the wiring or can get a mechanic , non dealer to install them that would be great. i did it myself, i cut the harness, rewired the lights directly. since the projection headlights are fancy i am sure they are at risk of theft, unlike hid they do not cost %1500 replace, bulbs are standard H3/H1 which are $20.00 bucks you can find anywhere with highwattage bulbs they are just as good, and DOT approved. or you can just install 01 headlights, never the less, i would like to reinstall HID back in the car, once the theft has gone down... another option if nissan considered would be to install the ballasts outside the headlight maybe back of the car.
    Do not panic, DEALERS are just looking to rip you off , screw stealerships, find a average mech and let him rewire your lights.
  • rhard49rhard49 Member Posts: 226
    I'm looking at buying a 2004SL are the stolen lights and issue on 2004's?
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Is it possible to etch or engrave the VIN on the headlights? Seems like a possible deterrent. I know that my insurance company offers VIN etching on the vehicle glass at no charge as a theft deterrent.
  • ssaundersssaunders Member Posts: 4
    What city do you live in? I live in Philly and I am seriously thinking about buy one but I go to NY alot.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,270
    In his column in this month's Car & Driver, Patrick Bedard states that the late model Altima's have been a frequent target for thiefs of Xenon headlights. I know that this has been a big problem for the Max, but I didn't even think that the Alt had xenons as an option. At least the lights in my 03 2.5S don't look blue.

Were xenons offered on the Alt for 02 through 05? Does mine possibly have them even though the lights appear white? Has anyone had theirs stolen?
    Car and Driver buries the Maximas with HID lights."How soon should a carmaker tell the world not to buy its cars?".
    Now the entire country will not take this car. Sorry everybody........unless Nissan put out non-xenon replacements.................this is possible since many aftermarket mechanics are putting in 2001 lights.sorry guys
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    "Now the entire country will not take this car."

I wish you would kindly refrain from gross generalizations such as this. I can tell you (at least in my part of the country)that the HID theft is not problematic as has been documented on the east coast.
  • kylekyle Member Posts: 1
    im thinking of buying a maxima in NYC , if i buy a 2001 or 2000 . will i still get lights stolen ? or the lights only get taken off the 02 and 03 ?
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    The 2000 and 2001 didn't have the HID headlights so they're probably less likely to get stolen than the 2002-2003 models but if your in NYC..................?
  • hapgoodhapgood Member Posts: 2
    I too had my headlights stolen from my 2003 I35 in New Jersey.
    I was told by Infiniti's Consumer Affairs department that it has become something that they are tracking statistics on as it has become a concern in the Northeast.
    My local dealer and Infiniti USA told me there is no "fix" kit as Nissan offered to the Maxima owners. The local dealer has had customers whose lights have been stolen twice and even three times.
    As they knew there was a problem on the earlier Maximas, you'd think they would engineer a fix for the Infiniti. I would not have leased this car had I known it was a prime target for theft.
    The New Jersey Attorney General's Office sued Nissan over the 2002-2003 Maximas. Perhaps they will also do something about the Infinitis.
  • ruhannahruhannah Member Posts: 1
    I am about to replace my '03 headlights w/ '01 headlights, but I've been told that doing this can mess up the computer system in your car. Is this really true? Also, will my car depreciate in value if I get this done? Have you had any problems since your installation of the '01 headlights?
  • caerca1caerca1 Member Posts: 1
    Your computer will be fine, but the thieves will steal the lights thinking there are Xenon. The 01 lights look different, but in the middle of the night they cannot tell the difference.
    don't worry...but get it done....experienced mechanic did mind....gave me piece of mind....yes thieves know the differ ence between lights....they want the igniter found on the xenons...not going to waste effort for regular bulbs...thi s forum knows mechanics to help you..they helped me....i even heard dealers like KIngs/ BAY RIDGE WILL do the job for customers now....how about that....afterwards get the mechanic to put them back in....no big jopb....but meanwhile you can live with this Nissan Mistake.................
  • mayerofrfmayerofrf Member Posts: 33
    How about asking the Nissan dealer about TSB#NTB02-117?? There's supposedly an HID theft deterrant kit (Part#65601-6Y300) that can be installed. Check out this link: http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB02-117.pdf

Not sure if this had been mentioned or not before.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did the TSB fix the problem or are people still losing their headlamps to thieves?

Steve, Host
    Anyone in NJ know whether the AG's suit against Nissan is still moving forward in the courts?

Steve, Host
    was told they are still going after them....now doing hood damage to get them out...result less costly repairs...but still a problem as theyya are in demand...best policy from a Nissan mechanic switch them with 2000/ lites.....also hear nobody is buying them at lease end.....stacking up on dealer lots....WHAT A LEMON.
  • bonieg84bonieg84 Member Posts: 1
    i got a few questions. I have a 2000 Maxima SE and i want to get angel eye headlights for it. My friend told me that angel eyes are only for BMW but i like the look and i wanted to know what other people thought. I also was wondering if there is a way to etch vin numbers into headlights, i read a little bit of forum and i just wanted to clarify that. thanks for help
  • 05xterrakid05xterrakid Member Posts: 2
    Justice dept is ordering all nissan dealers to supply a list of HID lights sold since the cars inception, they are going full force at them.. and the cars are in no way a lemon, they are one the most reliable cars on the market, EVERY car has problems, and nissan is one company that when notified of a continuing problem stands up and takes action. as long as you have the bracket that bolts to the frame they are VERY difficult to steal, but if someone tries they will do serious damage!! How can a company be held responsible for a bunch of crooks actions....
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Do you have a source and a link to that information? I'm sure others would be interested.

Thanks!

tidester, host
  • lydettelydette Member Posts: 1
    My headlights was just stolen last Tuesday!!.I have a 2002 Maxima. I can not believe that Nissan doesn't design the non-xenon lights. Now I'm stuck buying the headlights with HID and having to risk getting it stolen again; which I know it will because whomever stole it knows where i live and will come back for it again! My car is damaged by the thieves who took it.. It seems to me like it only took them 5 minutes to take both headlights out and the manufactured alarm didn't even go off!!!

I am furious. I've read about their safeguard brackets but that doesn't seem to work.

I don't know what to do.. I just bought this car in January used.
    i told you so.................dump the maxima it is not worth it...stay away from the 2002/2003...unless you live in the desert........ALL YOU NISSAN LOVERS....WHY DON'T THEY MANUFACTURE NON- XENON REPLACEMENTS..................................MONEY ..THAT IS WHY........................good luck lydette : :
  • ebialoebialo Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    Have you come up with any solutions?
  • roadrager1roadrager1 Member Posts: 1
    Recently purchased a 2003 Maxima. Love the car! Live in an area where theft of lights has occurred (Central NJ). Know several people that have had lights stolen. Still purchased the car.

Found out through a technician at my dealer that the thiefs aren't interested in the lights but the "ballast" that turns them on and off.

Nissan has since improved on its first attempt to rectify the problem. It takes about three hours to have done, but it gives me the piece of mind I needed. The "ballast" is removed from the light and mounted into the front bumper. They also protect your lights with a relatively new type of identification called DataDots in case theft occurs and the lights are recovered. (Datadotusa.com) To act as a slight deterrent, stickers are placed on the bulb lens' and front windows. I had it done yesterday.

When it's possible, I try to park in heavily trafficked aisles and back my car in a parking spot to deter theft. Don't think anyone will try to steal the lights if there are many witnesses. Then again in today's world, everyone's eyes are closed!

Regardless of the situation, it's tough to beat the quality of the Maxima when compared against similar vehicles in its class. Bought mine with 18K miles and the saying is true, the Maxima is a 4DSC!!! Good luck to all and hopefully this headlight theft is just a current fad. Anything worth stealing on the new Mustang? LOL
  • marteeenezmarteeenez Member Posts: 2
    well now u can add me to the victims list. I am seeking anyones help. I would like to know the prices on the HID head light system with the special starter and the cost of the 2001 version with the wiring and what not. please please please help me out. i searched ebay and i found head lights for 300s but i doubt its the same. thank you

marteeenez
    Bummer, Marteeenez. Where are you (or where was the car parked) when the headlights were ripped off?

Steve, Host
This discussion has been closed.