Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Ford Escape Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Look it up in kbb.com, nada.com and edmunds.com used car appraiser. If you are within wholesale good condition to wholesale good +1000 or so that is a good deal.

Good luck
    --jjf

I was wondering if buying a 2004 Ford Escape in very good condition with 65,000 miles for $7,000 a good deal. I think it is but I just want to see what you guys think. Thank you.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    If you post details of the vehicle here: Real World Trade-In Values, an expert can give you a good idea of the value of the vehicle.

Regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• georgek2georgek2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm on the verge of leasing an '08 XLT FWD Escape with leather and sun/sat package. Ford is currently offering $2k off (I also have X-plan pricing), however, the dealer is telling me the offere is only $1500 for leased vehicles. I've haven't read this anywhere in the marketing literature. Am I being taken on this?
  • apprehensiveapprehensive Member Posts: 14
    I also have x-plan and that is what I was told at both dealers I checked out. The latter had a VERY reputable salesperson.

I'm looking at the BOTTOM of the line Front wd 4 cyl Manual

I'm getting a price of $273 a month, not sure if I am gonna bite.
    _I'm in NH btw
  • kam327kam327 Member Posts: 115
    Thanks Ford! After buying an '08 Tribute with no mechanical upgrades from my '05 model (though with much better interior), you decide to increase horsepower to 230 and add a 6-speed transmission for '09. Now I already feel like my car is obsolete after owning it only 6 months and even though it's a current model year car.
  • mojo6666mojo6666 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone have the lease values for figuring out a lease on a 09 Escape XLT, 17" Wheels, moon and tune package, 24mo, 15000/yr lease?
  • lostlost Member Posts: 64
    Do your homework before buying. I knew about this before the 08's were available. If you check out Blue Oval News you will find out everything you need to know about Ford.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Greetings mojo6666. You will probably get more responses to questions about leasing a Ford Escape if you post them over in the "Ford Escape Lease Questions" discussion. In answer to your specific question, Ford Credit's current 24 month base lease rate and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 Escape XLT 4WD with 15,000 miles per year are 0.75% and 57%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    I highly doubt that. I frequent that site as well as this one and others and never read word one about the '09 Escapes engines until earlier this year. If you really read something about it in early '07 it must have been in the unconfirmed rumours and innuendo section, like the debate now about which V6 is going in the 2010 Fusion.
  • lostlost Member Posts: 64
    Check out posts dated Aug 07 and you will find just such info. There were also posts that contained info from someone on the inside who new about the then current on road testing of the new drivetrains. It was because of this info that i postponed a purchase of an 08 to get an 09.
  • baraboodadbaraboodad Member Posts: 20
    Nice little truck, plenty of power now with bigger engine. Quiet and smooth riding. Comfortable seats, good stereo, good mileage in city driving for test drive (test drive was a 2WD, got 22.6mpg with A/C on). Was about $25,500 before $500 rebate/trade-in etc. Can't wait for the one I'm actually buying to be here and ready for me in 3 days. (Was on a different lot in the state).
    A 22000 msrp escape barely has a trade in value of 12000 in a year. (look up a used 07) Thats probably optimistic given the market for Suv's etc. See tons of them on the lots around here. Usually sold new frequently for 6000 off msrp for years in july. Can't believe its not more now.

That said there are hardly no posts on this and other domestic forums.

Good luck

--jjf
  • webwanderwebwander Member Posts: 3
    Just to brag a bit, I helped my daughter purchase a 2006 Mazda Tribute in December 2006. Undecided for months, we stopped at an Edmond Ok. dealer, and she fell in love with a Steel Grey V6 Model. It had color coded panels, and even had a set of ENKI 18" Wheels. We didn't care about the wheels, so we negotiaged a price without them. It was almost the new year, and they must have been desperate. A final price of $17,890 was agreed on, and it was Friday at 6:30 pm. After dealing with the finance office for about another 1 1/2 hours, the salesman came back in, and asked my daughter if she had a good Christmas. She said it was O.K, Why? He said "Well, you just got four more gifts." What do you mean, she asked? " We couldn't find the key to the wheels," he replied, so they said "just keep them." We left feeling very excited and happy, and after looking on the internet, the tires and wheels were available for about $1200.00 plus shipping. I had to locate the lock wrench for the wheels and send it to my daughter in Florida. Remember, however that the original wheels & tires had a value, and I couldn't talk them into throwing them in too!
    Nice looking new, but it seems most of the older ones I see have rusted right through the lower body panels and around fenders.

Being good off road is nice; not leaving a rust trail on the road behind you - priceless.... (at least at resale time)

(My Dodge trucks lasting 10-15 years each, before I got an Explorer, and the Explorer at 5 years - no rust defects at all).
    August '07 posts would have done me no good since I researched in June '07 and bought in July '07.
    The New Ford Escape and Tribute (msrp 22000-23000) have been 6000 and 7000 off msrp vehicles in July and August for years. How Ford will move them without lots more off now I don't know. Kbb has them at 12000 and change for trade in (07) now but the books have been way off on trucks as the prices drop. At cars.com in my area it says there are 225 available within 30 miles of me.

A 31000 chevy 08 trailblazer has a trade in value (kbb.com) (07) of about $12000+. The 8500 off msrp Gm has as its employee price this week is a joke. There are 175 available within 30 miles of me. All the ads seem to be up to date and on the lots.
    15000 off this vehicle is a fair deal.

Good luck
    --jjf
    Got my white suede loaded Limited I4 09 Escape. Great little truck! Seat feels good to drive in, and tons of buttons to play with, I mean use! Plenty of power to merge on to freeway or get in front of trouble, etc.

Didn't get the pretty but expensive Nav system. But the Voice Sync controls work great anyway. Linked my phone to Sync in less than 30 seconds, works great. Now I never even take my phone out of my pocket to make and receive calls. Love the Audiophile sound system, too!

Koenecke Ford in Reedsburg, WI did a really good job of getting it for us.

Nice job, Ford! http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/- - emotorcons/emo_shades.gif
  • godwheelgodwheel Member Posts: 25
    If you dont mind me asking, how much did you end up paying for the suv?
  • johnnyvegasjohnnyvegas Member Posts: 8
    I have never owned a Ford, heck never owned an american car always had Honda/Bmw/Toyota/Lexus. I have driven several though, like a 2001, and 3 Ford Taurus, each I put almost 75000 miles on, a 2006 Impala that I put 97000 and a 2007 Impala that just turned 83000, and a 2007 Pontiac G6 for about 6 months and roughly 20000 when it was totalled. A I get to order a new company car every two years 70000 miles, I get a limited selection. This year was a Ford Fusion, Impala, G6 or Corolla. All are loaded with nice options, not base models, but the Escape was available and it is LOADED! I just ordered and received the 2009 Ford Escape XLT 4WD with V6 and 6 speed trans. It is charcoal gray (They call it black pearl) and has the dark charcoal interior. A co-worker has a 2006 and it was loud, bouncy and gutless. Even with the V6. This new one is MUCH BETTER. Much more impressive. It has nice shifting, smooth power and the suspension seems much improved. I expect it will soften and get crappy as I rack up the miles, but for now, it's nice. I would never own a Ford or Chevy mainly because of the resale value and maintenance costs, compared to imports is sooooo bad, but if you like these, for now it seems a good choice, bad investment. MSRP 28950??? No way. My company paid $19850 delivered. It showed that as invoice, minus corporate (General Electric) Fleet discounts of $1000. We ordered it direct from Ford in June and it arrived 9/12. They closed the plant for 3 weeks from the 4th of July holiday. I have 1020 miles on it in 9 days of driving. It's nice. But NO way do you invest in this loser. I can here the value falling from my living room. Sounds like the A bomb coming down over my head.
  • goldswanngoldswann Member Posts: 9
    Hi - I admit I'm a bit too lazy to read through 17 pages of posts! We just started researching Escapes (we've been looking at CRV's and RAV4's) and I don't know where to begin!

I'm going to start emailing dealerships...what's my target price for a 2009 Escape XLT FWD I4? I want to take advantage of the 0% APR for 60 months. I assume I have less of a bargaining chip with 09's vs. 08's?

Right now I can get a 2008 CRV for about 10% below MSRP with 1.9% APR for 36 months.
    P.S. - I live in Northern NJ (Bergen County)
    NO WAY should you get an Escape over the CRV or RAV 4. You will get $1000 on trade in when you want to sell it, and the 0% APR cannot make up for that. The resale is lowsy. The CRV and RAV4 hold value much better, not to mention reliability and repair expense. Hondas and Toyotas are kicking the American car market for a reason. I am as American as apple pie, and thats why I want to make smart decisions. I would not drive this Escape if it was not free. I have 4900 miles on it in about a month, and it is already in the shop for a tranny slip. It slips between 5th and 6th gear, and in reverse. If you come to a stop, then try to back up, it grinds, slips and jumps. It's American Union craftsman ship at its best. Do not get stuck with this thing.
    A 22000msrp fwd 08 Escape auto has a trade in value of about 11000 in 12 months. (what an 07 is worth used from kbb.com with avg miles in excellent condition)

Ideally , one wants to buy a new (08) model car for about 20-25% or so more than the a trade in value of one a year younger (closer to 20% this time of year). This would put you at about 14000 for the 22000 ford. This may not be possible with the Ford dealers just waiting it out for the old stock to sell off. (they closed or slowed the production down a little past mid-year for the 08. The 09 production is much reduced)

You may have better luck with this with the Japanese brands as they hold their value better like the guy said. You may want to use 30-40% over trade in (07) for a target on an 09 model.

Unless you can get the 22000 08 model for $14000 or so pass on the Escape, especially if they start the $17000-18000 noise. A better Honda or Toyota could be had for close to that and won't be worth 11000 in 12 months.

Good luck
    --jjf

new
    NO WAY should you get an Escape over the CRV or RAV 4. You will get $1000 on trade in when you want to sell it, and the 0% APR cannot make up for that. The resale is lowsy. The CRV and RAV4 hold value much better, not to mention reliability and repair expense. Hondas and Toyotas are kicking the American car market for a reason. I am as American as apple pie, and thats why I want to make smart decisions. I would not drive this Escape if it was not free. I have 4900 miles on it in about a month, and it is already in the shop for a tranny slip. It slips between 5th and 6th gear, and in reverse. If you come to a stop, then try to back up, it grinds, slips and jumps. It's American Union craftsman ship at its best. Do not get stuck with this thing.
    Thank you both for your feedback! I agree, my first choice is the CRV or RAV4 but I was researching whether the Escape at 0% APR plus a lower buying price would be worth my while. More to think about!
  • umbelwheatumbelwheat Member Posts: 6
    I recently picked up a dealer demo 2008 Mariner Premier 4WD with Nav, 17" wheels, Cargo Management, Heated Package, and Roof Rack (MSRP of $30750) for $19500. It has 15,000 miles, but I couldn't [non-permissible content removed] up the discounts. They also extended the Powertrain Warranty to 100,000 miles for free! There are deals out there if you can find them.
  • drgumsdrgums Member Posts: 51
    I am looking at a yellow Escape 2001 with 57000 miles. 6 cylinder 4wd

no sunroof, power windows, yellow, driven by an older oerson who traded up to a new one? looks clean

dealer offered car at 8K...way too high thinking of offering 5K

is this ford worth buying used for my daughter?

what is the record on these vehicles?

pricing? please advise...I want to know if I should buy the escape and if so ...what is a really good price?

any maintenance issues also? should I look for something else?

thank you

New jersey area
    Look up the trade in value of the vehicle on kbb.com and nada.com with 57000 miles. A really good price would be trade in value, Anything within ti +1000-1500 or so would be ok.

An 07 as you describe would probably have a trade in value of $12000 or so so you are in the right ball park.

Just drive the thing for an hour or so on the highway, etc-- turn on all the accessories etc and get a carfax.

--good luck
    --jjf
  • drgumsdrgums Member Posts: 51
    thank you for your advice.....BTW...this Ford is not a problem is it?

I am assuming regular maintenance...clear car fax...etc...

anything else typically go on theses vehicles to watch out for?

thanx
    kbb.com trade in value is only a estimate. Chances are it's worth much less than that. there is an old saying in the car business, "there is no such thing as a be back, or a car with blue book". Be backs are those who look and say "I'll be back".
    A 2001 Ford anything is probably worth $2-3 in my opinion. I spent 15 years in the car business, new and used car manager. Now at a leasing company and only do new without trade in. I'd have a mechanic look at it, or look at a Toyota or Honda to be safe.
    Yes the engine, transmission, brakes, exhaust, power accessories.... the stuff that can go on any 7 year old used car. Any used car, (Ford, BMW, Honda etc) can be a problem. Some will argue the foreign nameplates are better but still a used car is a used car.

Good luck
    --jjf

thank you for your advice.....BTW...this Ford is not a problem is it?

I am assuming regular maintenance...clear car fax...etc...

anything else typically go on theses vehicles to watch out for?
  • rgwrgw Member Posts: 6
    I ordered my 2009 Mariner Premier V6 FWD last Oct. 7th. As of today, Jan. 9th , the vehicle has not arrived at the dealership nor can they tell me when it will arrive. Needless to say I took back m deposit and am now looking elsewhere for a new vehicle.
    Talk about blowing a sure deal, way to go Ford!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    does the dealer have carfax to view?
    if not, spend a few bucks to get it.
    it's not 100%, but better than nothing.
    that 'old person owned it' is an old story.
    when i bought my mustang in 1991, 2 different dealers tried to sell me low mileage used that were owned by an old guy that passed away and the widow didn't want to keep it. i started feeling that model was cursed. :P
    ct isn't all that far from nj, so i guess that pitch is going around the bars. ;)
    escape-central.C O M is good additional site to look for info.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • parrotheadpeteparrotheadpete Member Posts: 1
    Same thing happened to us.
    We ordered our 2009 Mariner Premier V6 FWD on Columbus Day weekend and was told at the time that it would hit the dealer showroom around late November.
    Well that time came and went and was told again it was slated to arrive the second week of December. Once again there was a delay until we finally received it on Dec 31st.
    Though there was some frustration from us and the dealer for the long wait the vehicle is absolutely beautiful.
    The only reason that I can think of for the delay is that it's due to the extended plant shutdowns around the holiday's where the Mariner is made.
  • rgwrgw Member Posts: 6
    Based on the VIN # I was given my vehicle was finally built on Dec. 5th, 2 months after the order was placed. Now 3 months have gone by since I ordered it and no vehicle.
    My trade-in, a 2005 Mariner, is now worth less so the great deal I received in October is gone. Returning my deposit nullified the deal, but it’s Fords’ loss not mine. I’m sure that in this economy I can find a great deal out there somewhere else!
    I wonder what Ford will come up with for incentives after today?
  • niteflite888niteflite888 Member Posts: 30
    Can someone offer me some advice. I am considering buying an 06 escape xlt awd with approx 35,000 miles. I have never owned a ford before... only honda, toyota, and vw. i am looking into this car only because of the price... for an 06 crv or rav4 with similar miles and options i'd have to pay at least 3,000 to 4,000 more. and that's based on list price... i haven't negotiated on the price yet.

my concerns would be the reliability of the car.. i don't want to end up having to take the car in for repairs on a regular basis. generally speaking, how is the reliability? should i shell out the extra 3-4,000 for an import?
  • indydan1indydan1 Member Posts: 2
    I just traded in my '06 XLT 4X4 for a new '09. It had almost 35K miles, and other than taking it in for schedules maintenance (oil changes, tires rotation, etc), it never gave me a moment's worth of trouble....a very reliable vehicle! I would make sure that the vehicle has had its' 30,000 mile service, as this is a fairly major one. Pricewise, I noticed the dealer now has my 06 on the lot and are asking $14,995 for it. I got about 11,000 for it on trade-in (lousy resale value), so my guess is that somewhere around 13K would be a fair price range, but I would check the Edmunds TMV price as a guide.
  • borderdogborderdog Member Posts: 4
    Indydan, I'm looking for a good used Escape. What dealership has your old car and can you describe it more so I can look for it online?
    Thanks.
  • indydan1indydan1 Member Posts: 2
    Borderdog...

It is at Andy Mohr Ford in Plainfield, Indiana...slightly west of Indianapolis. They do have a website and I am not sure if I can post it here, but you can easily google it. The car is shown online along with several photos. It is a silver XLT Sport 4X4. I was out that way the other day to look at it just to kill some time, and they had it on the lot and did a great job getting it cleaned up. It has several options, including the 6-disk audiophile system, running boards, and the towing package. It ran great and was used mostly for driving back and forth to work on the highway. Not sure where you're at, but it's worth taking a look at. Good luck!
  • juniorbilljuniorbill Member Posts: 7
    I'm interested in the 2009 Tribute/Escape/Mariner but based on the slow activity level here I'm wondering if anyone else has been buying them. I'd love to see a few about deals others have been offered or made. Guess I'll just keep my eyes open.
    we just bought an 09 escape limited today. we have an 04, which being passed onto one of the kids.
    we bought it on x plan.
    request a brochoure from the ford website. you might get a nice coupon.
  • ja812ja812 Member Posts: 33
    I am in the process right now. I'll let u know what happens.when I'm done.I qualify for X-Plan but I'm trying to get it lower by using the Edmunds site to find dealers and counter w/different prices.
    One dealer found an Escape out of state so I did some research and called the dealer out of state and got a lower price for the same veh that the dealer gave me the price on(they would deliver the veh @ no charge to me). I called another local dealer back and told them I could get this veh @ a lower price and they said they would beat that price.
    So that is where I'm at right now. I'll see what develops this week and let u know if I do anything.
    Good Luck
    Joe
  • dmbfloridadmbflorida Member Posts: 38
    We like the hybrid Tribute Grand Touring because it has all the options on it you could want including navigation and roof venting . The Mazda hybrid Tribute is much nicer than the Escape hybrid or the hybrid Mariner in terms of interior appointments. We bought in Feb, 2008 in California when a limited inventory of this new SUV was sold only in California. We put it on a car carrier (DAS auto transport) and had it transported to Florida where we registered and licensed it. I don't know if this car was sold on such a limited inventory in 2009 (350 or fewer in 2006) in CA or other states and would like to hear about this. I can't speak accurately about fuel economy because I never drive it and it is usually in another city where my grand-daughter "owns" it. I paid $29,000 approx without CA tax with 0% interest on a three year Mazda loan. The only thing I don't really like are the small wheels/tires.
    hope you can make a deal. we did x plan and got 3750 in incentives.
    didn't want to spend a lot of time or energy negotiating.
    we spent about a week, although not a lot of time negotiating with another dealer about an Edge.
  • starlifter248starlifter248 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an 09 Tribute i Touring (30 Apr 09). The "out the door" price was $19,917.40. I have 7% sales tax plus $21 for title and Georgia lemon law which made the before tax and after rebate price $18,398.50

The vechicle MSRP is $22,935 & Invoice $21,473

I feel I got an OK deal however, I sure there were better ones out there. My wifes car was wrecked two weeks prior and it appears we will be dealing with the insurance company ( on-going dissagreement) for sometime so I "pulled the trigger" on the purchase, The good news is we got the color and model we wanted and currently are pleased with the vechicle.
    Sorry about the long delay in responding back but I ended up buying a Dodge Ram 1500.It was too good a deal to turn down. Good luck with your new Escape.

Joe
    actually, it's my wife's escape, but I do need good luck, so it doesn't become my problem!
    enjoy your ram truck. i enjoyed having a pickup many years ago, except for everyone wanting to borrow it. ;)
  • epecepec Member Posts: 16
    I have A-plan since my brother works for ford. Dealer give me MSRP-Aplan_incentive. I am not sure whether I can ask Invoice-Aplan-incentive , but dealer told me MSRP-Aplan is the price he get the car from ford. Actually MSRP-Aplan is 400 less than invoice, but I do not believe dealer get the car from Ford with 400$ less than invoice. I first 2005 ford escape (bought as new) was purchased with Invoice-500$-Incentive. Can anyone tell me whether the dealer is lying? Thanks
    you should be able to get the price online.
    ford has websites for this.
  • epecepec Member Posts: 16
    Yes, I went to the web site, it gives me MSRP, A-plan price, incentive and net price, it is the same as dealer's price :-(
    Thanks on the tip of requesting a brochure from the the Ford website. I got a coupon for $750.00 and used it yesterday to buy my wife a new Escape!

Joe