Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Sebring Convertible

libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
edited December 2013 in Chrysler
Why is there no discussion about this hot-selling (and looking) convertible? It got on the top 10 list on Edmunds 2004 Buying Guide.

Comments

• stoosh95stoosh95 Member Posts: 14
    that wont give a US product a fair shake.

example: the solara is on it's SIXTH archive ... yet the XLR hasn't had a post since 7/1.
  • stoosh95stoosh95 Member Posts: 14
    They have a GTC version which has an available 5 speed. which IS a great start.

They just need to warm it over a bit. If it had 225 to 250 HP ... heck, can u imagine the SRT4 engine in this?

Sebring GTR ... hmmmmmmmmm ... 'course Nissan might get mad.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    If I were buying a convertible, I would grab an LXi with gold exterior and beige interior and a tan top and drive away (after paying for it of course :)). I may buy a convertible for fun when I can afford to have a second vehicle. But I also would consider getting an Isuzu Axiom for tackling dirt roads in Canada and a Dodge Ram for transporting Home Depot stuff to add to my 2002 Volvo wagon.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    it boils down to this:

people that buy Sebrings aren't really car nuts. they want a comfy half-way decent looking car with a power top and leather seats. they aren't the types to really post things about their cars.

but yes, the VW's and Hondas are full of posts, because they like driving. even Hyundai topics are full, because that brand is causing such a stir in the market. a Sebring just isn't a car that offends anyone, or excites anyone. it is just a nice car for regular folks. just like a Taurus, Malibu, etc.

that is what i think must be happening. there is no forum for the Sebring Coupe either. but there is for the Eclipse. they are the same car!
    But are VERY different. (Eclipse and Sebring/Stratus) The Eclipse is supposidly more sport-oriented and the Sebring/Stratus have a lot more room and TOTALLY different styling.
    "half-way decent looking car" I don't think so. Like I said earlier, this is a hot styled car that just doesn't put a huge emphasis on handling. I enjoy (LOVE) driving but simply I don't care about power and handling. I care more about creature comforts. Modern Hondas are about as fun to drive as a Buick. The Taurus has an active discussion. But now this discussion is getting active. Maybe everyone was waiting for someone else to start one.
    the Sebring CONVERTIBLE is has "hot" styling? i totally disagree. my mother is 51 - she likes the car a lot too. but she also likes Pontiacs. not what i would call styled - perhaps "over" styled. but, to each his own. the Sebring Coupe is a beautiful car though. much better looking than the Eclipse. decent interior too.

and for the record, the Sebring Convertible and Sedan are related, and the Sebring Coupe and Eclipse are related. the V6's in the Coupe/Mitsu are different than in the sedan/droptop.
    I knew that (Eclipse/Sebring/Stratus coupe), justin. In fact, I know everything there is to know about autos. Who owns who, all makes and models, etc. FYI I am 25 and own a 2002 VOLVO V70. I think it has excellent exterior styling and also I think the Isuzu Axiom, Dodge Ram, Mitsu Montero, and Sebring conv. are in the top 10 best styled cars on the market today.
    our definition of style are obviously completely different. i prefer an understated elegance - even in trucks.

but like i said, if it weren't for not-so-pretty cars, i wouldn't like other cars as much! :)
    Hold on, I'll start a Sebring coupe discussion on this board.
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    in assuming this topic had been revived. No posts in 16 days?

I guess convertible owners would rather drive their cars than talk about them -- especially in the summer time... :)
  • candyman85233candyman85233 Member Posts: 43
    I just picked up my 2004 Ltd Convertible Saturday. Its deep sapphire blue pearlcoat with the sandstone leather interior. I hope these discussion groups grow since it would be a benefit for ALL owners if we all discuss our car.
  • glennodglennod Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2004 Sebring LXi convertible in early August and I love it. Right after I purchased the car Chrysler changed the name of the model to Touring. Also, my car has leather in it but not the Leather suede combination that the Chrysler website says is standard. Does anybody know if Chrysler changed its standard equipment when they changed the model name from LXi to Touring?
  • leebealeebea Member Posts: 25
    It's good to see some activity here. This used to be a very active group back in '01 when I bought my '01 Sterling Blue Limited but after awhile it completely died and I had to go to another Sebring Convertible board.
    Glennod, you will find that Chrysler is always changing options. The same model changes from year to year, usually eliminating options to hold the price. A lot of things were standard on my '01 that were either eliminated or became options, usually small things like locks that you may not notice.
    Where is everyone from? I live in Massachusetts, 1/2 mile from the Rhode Island border, enjoying a good top down (but slowly coming to an end) summer.
    Lee B.
  • bby2ks2kbby2ks2k Member Posts: 1
    I rented one while vacationing in Hawaii in late 01'. I wasn't expecting much, but was suprised (in a good way). The engine was very responsive and the transmission seemed like a good match as there was no hesitation for a downshift when the "go" pedal was pressed hard. The only gripes I have are some cheap interior plastics and the guages on my car would black out periodically at night. This was the first convertible (other than jeeps) that I drove. I bought a 2000 Honda S2000 about a year later partly because of the fun I had with the Sebring although the character of the two cars are entirely different.
  • ctrcssctrcss Member Posts: 9
    I am planning on purchasing a Sebring Convertible in the near future. Any suggestions on which type of top is better? Any care/wear issues that you have experienced? Thanks.

David
  • cjshirley2cjshirley2 Member Posts: 1
    Where can I go on the internet to get wholesale value or pricing on a 1998 Sebring JXi Limited? Need help quick.
    First, I don't think Chrysler made a Limited version of the Sebring in '98. Second, you shuld have ben able to find pricing right here on Edmunds under the used car section.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That's right, just go to the Edmunds.com Home Page and click on used cars and follow directions.

Host
  • cecoceco Member Posts: 1
    They did make a limited in 98. The hard copy of NADA lists it but the web NADA does not.

Most libraries have the NADA books but beware there is a huge difference between the TMV @ edmunds and NADA.
  • lagenomelagenome Member Posts: 1
    Is there such an animal as a sebring convertible in an "Off-White" color...I thought I had seen them, yet I don't see this color as a standard color...Can anyone help...?
  • leebealeebea Member Posts: 25
    The only white color is called Stone White. Go to Chrysler.com to see colors.
    Lee B.
  • glennodglennod Member Posts: 2
    On my 2004 Sebring Convertible my driver's window rattles and is loose. The dealer insists that it is the rubber stripping that protects the window and replaced it. The window still rattles. Does anybody else have the same problem?
  • rbhcparbhcpa Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I'm a guy who really likes the look of the Sebring Convertib;e..they really take my eye and I would consider buying one..but, honest question: are these cars for chicks and not men? I was just wondering what you all would say to this and how many men own these cars...I'm a little afraid to come out of the closet on this one!! Honestly! Thanks all for your responses in advance.
    I just bought a Inferno Red '04 Sebring two weeks ago. I don't think it is a chick car at all. Perhaps certain colors look that way more than others, ie. the satin green or last years light blue. The "manly" colors look just a great. Seriously, I don't think anyone will question your manhood for driving a Sebring. I just get asked if I am in a mid-life crisis.

David
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The Sebring isn't the most manly car out there, but if you like the looks then why should you care what others think? Buy what you like! The Miata is supposedly a feminine car, but an awful lot of straight married men buy them. Just an FYI though,the Sebring convertible was voted as one of the top 10 cars bought by gay men 2 years ago so you might need to be ready to exit that closet :) And judging by the market in Florida, I would say the poll was accurate (either women, gay men or white haired old men drive these cars).
  • kelvin2ndkelvin2nd Member Posts: 1
    I enjoyed reading these 3 messages, especially so since my boyfriend thinks that the Sebring convertible is indeed a chick's car. I bought my 2002 LXi in July 03 with 18k miles on it, and can honestly say that it is the most fun I've ever had on wheels. Since then, I've taken a very unscientific survey by checking out the number of men vs. women driving the Sebring convertible. My results prove the theory that yes, there are more women driving the Sebring convertible than men. But really - who cares - as long as you enjoy the looks and feel of the ride. You can test your manhood by how many hours you spend shopping Home Depot every month.

- Paul's boyfriend
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    You and me know what Home Depot shoppers are really doing :) You live in Florida by chance? Your Sebring have cloth or leather? What color is it? They are nice looking cars with the top down. I myself have a cute little red Miata for those top down days. Think I should take it to Orlando in June? :)
  • carguy04carguy04 Member Posts: 22
    Hello Everyone, first time poster here. Glad to have found this board re the Sebring Convertible. I'm in the process of car shopping and the Sebring Touring Convert is one of my 'finalists'. The car has all the features I am looking for, along with being a great looking car, but after researching various sites and publications, I am very concerned about its quality and reliability. Also, I need to know from owners how well the insulated top keeps out the cold, rain, snow and road noise. The last Sebring Convert I drove was a rental back in 1997, and I remember a lot of road noise coming thru the closed top. Also, for those of you who have the heated seat option, how well do they work? Thanks.
  • newsebringnewsebring Member Posts: 1
    I've just purchased a silver Touring with slate leather and suede seats and a black cloth top. I'd be grateful for any advice other owners might share on how to keep the upholstery and top in good condition. Are there any special products I should use, for cleaning or treating, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    I just bought a 2004 LXi Convertible in early December. I live in Maryland and it has snow on me twice since I have bought the car. I was warm and cozy in it and in fact can't keep the heater on high temp because I get too warm. So the insulation from the rain, snow and cold is just fine. As for the road noise, well there is more road noise than I was used to in the family van but that is to be expected as far as I know. The best way to decide if it is acceptable to you is to take one on a test drive. Just remember to bring your willpower to say no to the saleman when he pressures you to buy that day. Also, as Edmunds suggests, test drive your other finalists that same day so you can get a good comparision. I also have the heated seats and I love them. Gets nice and toasty in the lower back and and on the buttocks/upper leg areas. My wife jokes that it is a very expensive heating pad for her back :-)
  • carguy04carguy04 Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for your reply today re my questions on the heated seats and road noise. Yes, I will be taking a Sebring Convert out for a test drive soon. I see that as of today Chrysler has extended their $3000 rebate on the convert until 3/31, so that will be another factor in my buying decision. How does your car handle in the snow? I am assuming it does well since it has front wheel drive and traction control.
  • speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    Sebring is advertised as a four-season car, although the best bet would be to throw on a set of winter rims and tires once/year.

ctrcss might address the question of how well the fabric top insulates, too....
  • jan41jan41 Member Posts: 1
    We were told by dealer not to use carwashes, due to force and possible water being forced under the convertible top into the interior, thus destroying the integr1ty of the top. Any suggestions on washing the car & cleaning the vinyl top in the wintertime.
  • adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    you can use car wahses, just not the ones that aren't designed for convertibles. The cheap car wahses (not all) have high pressure washes that will shoot water into your car, where the side windows meet the roof. Guaranteed. 100% of the time. Using a wash that does not have the high pressure spray seems to be just fine. Some places can "turn off" one of the high-pressure washes. That place is just fine for my car, and I have 60k miles on it.
    Mine handled just fine. I didn't put it in any tough situations as there were just a few inches of snow on the ground.
  • tr13tr13 Member Posts: 10
    I had to have the regulators in my power windows replaced. My windows shuttered going up and down. It has helpped. One dealership told me that is how they are. The dealership I deal with now actually fixed it! I feel I am becoming queen of getting problems fixed in my Sebring.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    is a ver nice unit on this car (really transformed the drivetrain with the 2.7l engine). I didn't end up buying it (but kinda wish I had), but got to take a long test drive in an '02 GTC 5-speed last fall. Shifted nice, and the clutch seemed to have a nice feel, progresive take-up, and a reasonable effort. Overall, much nicer driving package then I expected.

Plus, no banging down shifting into 1st! )unless you are really bad with a stick). Just another reason to drive a manual.

Of course, probably will be a bear to resell a stick, but that's the price you pay.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• theweissmantheweissman Member Posts: 28
    Hi all, just popping by to say hi. I bought my '01 silver Sebring convertible about three years ago now and about all I could wish for is a little more acceleration when I put the hammer down--but then, this car is known as a "boulevard cruiser" and not a "bruiser." Mine's got over 72,000 hard miles on it now, and seems to rattle a bit more than she used to.....

Is it a chick car? I'm a 47-year-old married man. My wife calls this my "geriatric crisis mobile." I don't sweat the buyer demographics. When I bought this car, there was no other car I would seriously consider.....

I still think the Sebring is probably the best value proposition in a convertible on the market, and though I hope to be driving a convertible for a long time to come, I don't expect my next one will be the Chrysler, as I'll be looking for more "oomph.".....

Steve
  • goodyrlgoodyrl Member Posts: 83
    Does anyone know where I can find a right rear tail light for a 96 Sebring Convertible. The Chrysler Dealer wants a mint :(
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Try giving your local auto wreckers a call
    Do a search on Ebay as well.
  • schaeffzschaeffz Member Posts: 18
    From schaeffz in Maryland...After a year's research and bolstering the bank account, I bought a used '04 silver GTC, 25,000 miles, base model with cloth power seats, for $18,255 on the road (including 5% MD tax). This is right at the Edmunds "Private Sale" price, $2000 less than the sticker. MSRP for a new one is about $27,000, so I got it for about $10,000 off for a long-year's worth of wear and tear. And I still have 2/3rds of the powertrain warranty left. It was a rental bought at auction by the dealer (thanks Carfax!). The dealer had seven used 2004's (all previous-rentals), with mine having the most mileage. I used this against them to get the price down. Rentals can be a very good buy, since they are well-taken care of. Perfectly clean engine compartment, no nics or dents anywhere, some wear shows on the upolstery. The tires are worn about half-way down, as expected. The lowest I could go with several dealers for a new base-model LX 4-cyl, white with brown roof, with no options was $21,600 on-the-road. The stock front seat is VERY low, too low for my wife to see over the steering wheel. The power seat rises a good 2 inches, a necessity for short people. The brown tops I've seen show stains and streaks. The silver with matching silver wheels with black top with the GTC interior accents gives my Sebring a very manly look and feel. I'm going to buy a black magnetbra (magnetbra.com) for the hood to sport it up some more (and protect from road-chips in the paint). The "sport" suspension is a bit more jerky than the standard, another thing OK with the testosterone in me. I'm quite happy so far, this coming from a guy who is giving up his Hyundai Accent, quite a step up I guess. Can't wait for those sunny Spring days!!!!!
    Been driving my used '04 GTC for a week. Getting 24 MPG on my 40-mile commute with some in town driving. My commute is half on 55-65MPH highway and half on 40-50MPH two-lane country road. This is below the highway rating and disappointing. This from a guy who has been getting 35+MPG in my '01 Hyundai Accent. I'm curious about other's MPG experience with the 2.7 engine. In any event, I bought this for my lazy commute thru the countryside with the top down, not for the mileage. I've had the chance every day this past week, with the great weather we've had here in MD-VA. I'm lovin' it! I put the electric seat all the way down for top-down operation, which puts wind buffeting down to a very comfortable level. With the seat all the way up, my hair (what's left of it) gets tossled considerably more. A lot less open-air noise than I expected! The radio/CD sounds great, even with the top down! Had to use the heater some cool mornings, but hey, flaunt it if you got it! The car has 25,000+ miles and there is no problem with the transmission shifting at all, every shift is smooth and hardly noticeable. Interesting that with the cruise control on at 45MPH and doing the little hills and valleys of my 2-lane drive, I see the tach showing shifting from 3rd to 4th, about 500RPM, but I don't feel or hear a thing. This is from a guy who has driven stick shifts all his life. The other night I had my wife out for a drive, put the top up to park and run into some stores for shopping and decided to drive home with the top up, just to save a cycle on the motors. But...my wife made me stop and put the top down for the 5-mile trip home! Guess her initial resistance has been eliminated. Thanks to my Sebring! Guess I'll have to let her drive it more than I originally planned.
    I average the same in my 02 Limited with the same mileage on it and an even 50/50 hwy/city split.. Acquired the car about a month ago. Its really sensitive to how hard you accelerate thats for sure, when I do so to make up for the lack of anything resembling power below 30mph, I pay for it at the pump.

I'll probably get a fuel system flush to see if that helps... The intake at f5performance is supposedly good for 3mpg.
    After using a tankful on almost all highway, I got 28 mpg, not quite the 29 on the sticker. I think I have become much more careful on accelerations, slow and steady, trying to keep the tach at or below 2000 rpm. This is a much slower start than I usually use with my Hyundai. It seems that no matter how fast or slow I drive my Hyundai, I get 35+ mpg. I'm not into this for the drag racing, so guess I'll muddle along like the senior citizen I will be soon (just joined AARP by the way). Did have the opportunity to pass a slow guy on the two lane road, and ooppss, before I knew it I was up to 80. Guess I better watch that! I have become somewhat annoyed by the lack of lumbar support. Even my Hyundai and Kia have a nice manual adjustable lumbar. Why can't American cars do this? Got to buy a lumbar pillow I guess. Otherwise, I'm lovin the cruisin with the top down!
  • linettlinett Member Posts: 1
    Bought my 2000 Convertible two years ago and I have had excellent performance. Today my left rear window stopped operating. Will it be very expensive to repair? Does anybody have any good sugggestions? RLinett@aol.com.
    Installed an F5 performance intake and I am now averaging about 1 mpg more than the sticker suggests now instead of 1-2 below.
  • kcrnmalekcrnmale Member Posts: 47
    I have a 1999 JXi. If I drive the car on the freeway, I get paranoid my boot is gonna blow off the car (already happened) It seems the wind catches the corners where the velcro attaches it to the car itself. Does anybody else have this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Doesn't Chrysler sell a wind deflector for this car?
    There is a windstop available but its for stopping wind from buffing front seat passengers from behind. Here is a pic of a Sebring with it installed.
    windstop installed and up

I haven't used the boot cover on mine yet.. As I don't leave the top down when I park and take mosty 15 minute or less trips.