Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Sebring Convertible

Comments

• dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    Thanks a lot for the info. I've read over the forums on the Sebring and you are right. The reliability record is still pretty bad. Chrysler is famous (like Toyota) for blaming the customer for what was a manufacturing defect. Either that or they come back with the "can't find problem" or "that's normal". I think frankly I'll keep what I have until I can afford one of the 2005/6 Mustang models in a few years which are totally different than mine. I'll cool it for awhile. Thanks again and good kuck. Make sure you change oil at a Chrysler dealership so they have a computer record of the oil changes. This is the only way people get new engines at Toyota I understand.
  • neonitisneonitis Member Posts: 11
    You're welcome sir.It is pathetic how Chrysler shysters have devastated so many innocent lives.
    Actually Toyota wants "proof of oil changes" to qualify for motor replacement reimbursement in this excerpt:Toyota's new policy is a dramatic change from a so-called Special Policy Adjustment begun in February. Amid increasing criticism for refusing to deal with the problem, Toyota notified 3.3 million owners of the affected engines that sludge-related repairs would be covered for one year, as long as they proved the oil had been changed at least once in the previous year.
    i got from:http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=150&did=1090
  • engr2go1engr2go1 Member Posts: 10
    I purchased my car new and have had several small and mid sized problems with it. It has 38,000 miles on it. I love the look and ride. The transmission shifts pretty bad though, lots of klunks. Other problems:
    Engine light turned out to be a problem with the seat belt (warranty on two occassions)
    Engine light turned out to be a problem with the gas tank vacuum line (warranty)
    Rear window defogger does not work. When you put the top down, the wire breaks. Mechanic says it is a poor design, when they fix it it breaks. I gave up.
    Electric windows make screeching sound.
    Door hinges klunk badly.
    Speakers died early and had to be replaced.
    Snaps that hold the back of the top down are coming out of their holders.
    It leaks oil from around the oil pan gasket. It looks like Chrysler uses a liquid gasket compound rather than a real gasket. It doesn't appear as though it was applied correctly.
    The unlock button popped out of the key remote.
    The airbag light comes on intermittently.
    The front brake rotors are warped (I have not used the brakes in a manner that would have caused this).

I am surprised as my other car is a 98 Grand Caravan with 184,000 miles and I have had very few problems with it. Overall, I still like driving the Sebring but feel Chrysler quality is just not there anymore though the styling is great. In the future I will likely try a Toyota. What has happened to Chrysler???
  • njtarheelnjtarheel Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if this will help you but..My JXI ragtop flooded last year when I first bought it. I had to clean the drains under the rocker panels. the car was still soaked and the amp for the sound sys was in a puddle under the passenger seat so I took out the seat. When the car was dry (much later) I replaced the seat. I typically drive alone to work so I didn't notice until several months later that the seat belt was locked. After trying everything except logic I looked under the seat and saw a plug hanging down from the seat. Further probing revealed a plug nest to the amplifier. Throwing caution to the winds I attached the plugs and immediately the problem was solved. After much cogitation I think (guess) that if the seat were somehow to come free from the car in a catastrophic accident you would remain strapped into the seat. I suppose this would make corpse recovery simpler for the highway patrol.
    Good luck.
  • matune1matune1 Member Posts: 3
    We've had a popping noise in the front end of our 2001 LXi for several months. The dealer replaced the left strut once - but that didn't solve the problem. The car must be 'warmed up' for us to hear it, maybe after 5 miles or so. Then, at almost any speed, it just keeps on popping - kind of like the popping you'd hear from a microwave popcorn bag - toward the end of the cooking time. It's not at the same time interval - such as every five seconds, or at the rotation of an engine or suspension part. Like I said, reminds us of the non-regular popping sound you'd hear at the end of the popcorn cooking time - but the last kernel never pops. It just keeps on going - like the Ever Ready Bunny.

Surely, we're not the only Sebring owner to ever have this happen. The dealer says he has had other Sebrings do this, but replacing the strut fixed the problem.
  • mcrtr505mcrtr505 Member Posts: 1
    Hello All I am new to the Site. I have a 97 JXI and the Timing Belt failed due to the water pump siezing up. I need some help with re-timing the engine. The Right hand Cam Gear does not seem to come in to time off about 1 inch from the mark no matter how many times i turn it around. Can Anyone HELP or direct me to a forum that might HELP
  • kenitzerkenitzer Member Posts: 19
    I have had my 2004 Sebring Touring for 2 years now and have accumulated 42000 trouble free miles. The only service done to date is oil/filter changes (every 4000 miles with Pennzoil Synthetic), air filter changes (2) and replacement of the 2 front tires due to wear. Otherwise I just put gas in (average approx 24 mpg) and drive. I still put the top down whenever the weather permits and enjoy the open air. I just wanted to post this because forums like this are typically filled with posts from people trying to solve problems with their vehicles. Potential buyers need to hear the positive stories as well.
  • engr2go1engr2go1 Member Posts: 10
    Add to this that popping noise. I think it might be the one discussed earlier. It seems to come and go though. More of a klunking though. I will climb underneath and take a look. Let you know when I know.

PS: Glad to hear from the earlier post he is having no problems. I wish I could say the same. :lemon:
  • bharveybharvey Member Posts: 2
    I have the same noise in my 2000 Sebring convertible. I was told by a dealer that they are known for sway bar bushings going bad and making that type of noise.
  • bharveybharvey Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2000 JX and had the same problem. I took it to a upholstery shop and he told me to use super glue. I did it last weekend and it worked great!
  • jrodriguez70jrodriguez70 Member Posts: 4
    I am torn between a 98 Mustang and 98 Sebring. The Mustang has 87K miles and Sebring 65K. However, I am most concerned about reliability and safety as my teen daughter will be driving the car.

Any thoughts? :confuse:
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Ahhhh, so this answers it. He was talking convertible. The answer is none of the above. No convertibles for new drivers, and no convertibles without a roll bar for veteran drivers. The longer answer to the question I posted on the Mustang forum about the '98 Mustang.

Looks like no response -- must be a hit and run poster. :D
    -Loren
  • jrodriguez70jrodriguez70 Member Posts: 4
    Sorry, not a hit and run poster...just can't get on too often, but thank you for the reply. :blush: I am really re-thinking the whole convertible thing. I do have to keep safety first and perhaps need to think of something stylish yet more sensible. Thanks for your feedback!!

Jackie
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    That's a great idea!
    Here is a site for crash test data. I have data on death rates for a lot of cars. Often those differ from the safety data, as they relate to how typical cars are driven, and how they hold up in the real world crashes. An example is the Mustang, which is a safer car, has a higher death rate. Insurance will be higher, and they are considered less safe for kids to drive.
    Here is the crash test link:
    http://www.safercar.gov/
    The other link I can not find.
    this site: http://www.iihs.org/ use to have the data on death rates.
    I looked up the Sebring & it is a 98. An 87 rate is the norm. Makes the convertible a little less than average, but not too bad. The Miata is 80, the Mustang a 91 and the BMW Z3 is a 58. Best score was the Mercedes E class at 10. The thing is most of the convertible Mustangs and Sebrings are not being driven by new drivers. And heavens no on a Miata or Z3 for a first car! Get some slower FWD car, but don't tell her I said that! If you do go RWD, be sure the driving lessons include RWD (rear wheel drive) cars.
    -Loren
  • eddieroxxeddieroxx Member Posts: 1
    I've got the same problem.The seatbelt on the front passenger side is just stuck and I can't pull it out.Is it an electrical problem or is there like a trick to it? I'm thinking about taking it to the dealer.Is there a lifetime warranty on that sorta thing? Any advice would help.Thank you very much.
  • jd82145jd82145 Member Posts: 3
    is anyone having any problems with a shimmy when you drive the car?
  • jd82145jd82145 Member Posts: 3
    I would like to buy a 2005 with about 20,000 miles on it but when I took it out on a test drive the wheel shimmy a little,betweem 35-45 the dealer said this is very common on sebrings convertibles. its not the alliment. Do you have any problems or had a problem like this?
  • tr3alptr3alp Member Posts: 5
    Let me know if this ISN'T the right forum or thread to post to... I think I was in the wrong one last time! :blush:

I just bought a 2003 Sebring Ltd convertible and have some questions: [some were answered when I bought the manuals]

1- Why are the running lights ONLY for Canada?
    2- Can we make them work ourselves? I checked the two fuse boxes and the fuse and relay seem to be there.

3- It only had 1 key, so I paid a dealer $65 for an unprogrammed key. They want another $40 to program it. The manual says it takes ~ 40 seconds if you have 2 good keys. So, besides the extortion, Is there a way to program a key ourselves with only 1 good key?

4- The left front has a varying shake. Sometimes the whole cowl/windshield seem to be shifting. Otherwise, it feels solid. Anyone else have that problem? :confuse:
  • gcarter1gcarter1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased this car used with 80,000 miles. Runs great, good mileage. It already had the cam belt replaced at 60,000 so all I've done is install a K&N air filter and a flowmaster muffler. Better sound ( at least to me) and better performance. Looking at a chip, anyone out there replaced theirs and if so how is it working. Oh yes not to rub it in to y'all in the north, but I live in Phoenix and drive all year long with the top down.
  • jesrfjesrf Member Posts: 9
    1. It is required in Canada (by law) people in the states dont normally care for it.

2. No Clue, but maybe.

3. Try google, but I believe you touch the tips of the keys together for like a minute. What colors are your keys grey or black?

4. I think the shake is common.
  • becnlylebecnlyle Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same seat belt locking problem!!! I didnt see any replies that helped... did you find a fix?

thanks
  • becnlylebecnlyle Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same locking seat belt problem. Did you get any answers?
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I checked out the Chrysler website. The new styling looks better on the convertible, especially with hardtop.
  • poeticsingerpoeticsinger Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

This is my very first post. I'm going to be buying a car in a about a month or two. I'm torn between the Sebring and Toyota Solara convertible. I've always been a BIG believer in Toyota and Honda. Their cars last forever. My boyfriend is a mechanic and he says that the Toyota is the better car. But for what I would pay for a 2002 Toyota Solara Convertible, I can get like a 2005 Chrysler Sebring convertible. Can someone please tell me if you have any knowledge about how these two compare???? Should I spend the extra money to get the Toyota?
    Your decision depends on a variety of factors. True, the Toyota is probably better quality. However, if you plan to lease the car for only 2 or 3 years, the Chrysler will likely still be under warrranty. You get more car for the money by buying the Chrysler. If you go with the Sebring and plan to keep it for a long time, you should get an extended warranty. The 2.7 V6 used in the Sebring had oil sludge and timing chain problems 3 or 4 years ago. I am not sure that Chrysler has resolved these problems. Good luck.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    After 13 Hondas, my dad decided to give Chrysler convertibles a try. He had a LeBaron Convertible in 1994 (which he kept for 8 months and traded in because the dealer couldn't fix the problem of the car deciding not to go into reverse).

He later got a Sebring convertible, which experienced transmission problems, random stalling when putting the car in reverse, and a front suspension that needed rebuilding at 35k miles. He got rid of it with the suspension problem, right before the warranty ran out. They are BEAUTIFUL automobiles (the older 2 generations of Sebring Convertible anyway, I'm not a fan of the new style), but they aren't worth the tires they're riding on as far as our reliability experiences proved.

He's been back with Hondas ever since.

I'm a big believe in the Honda/Toyota reliability notion, and an even stronger believer that you get what you pay for. Be VERY CAREFUL if you buy a Chrysler, and make sure you get a warranty, and make friends that can carry you to work.
  • smeldesmelde Member Posts: 1
    Tis Jan 10, 2007. I have a 1998 sebring convertible, and find that the seatbelts lock up on me sometimes, rendering them unusable. Have you found any reasons or fixes?

smelde@comcast.net
    Thank you SO much!!! I think I'll go with the Toyota!!! Your response is GREATLY appreciated! Have a good one!
    Thank you SO much!!! I think I'll go with the Toyota!!! Your response is GREATLY appreciated! Have a good one!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    You are welcome.

I realize, that our experience may have been particularly bad luck, but Consumer Reports really backed up our findings.

And two vehicles, with different designs, different transmissions, and different engines (the '94 LeBaron was a 3.0L Mitsubishi-made V6, the Sebring was a 2.4L I-4 from the Stratus sedan), and they STILL had similar problems - which just seemed a little too scary to go back to Chrysler Corp for us.
  • shopper_80shopper_80 Member Posts: 1
    Very nice styling and I bought a Sebring a few years ago.

1) Just after the warranty ran out the head gasket went out. The dealer who fixed it told me that Chrysler has known about this problem as the gasket needs to be redesigned and they did not want to do a recall.

2) at 60,000 miles, the transmission conked out. Cost me a ton of money to fix and I then just gave up and got rid of it.

I got a Honda S2000, which is solid and reliable. But I now want a 4-seater convertible and I am seriously thinking about the Toyota simply because of the reliability. Toyota is poor in styling but the hassles may not be worth it.

I don't believe Chrysler / Benz can build cars that stay trouble free. The only thing they can do is come up with gizmos and style. The companies are run by finance and marketing people not engineers and they can't seem to get anything to work right.

The final reason is that even their Mercedes cars are unreliable. My friends who bought S class sedans have had it and now buy Lexus or Acura.
  • badgersbadgers Member Posts: 7
    I know these aren't Toyota Solara's, but what can I expect if I buy a 2004 with 20,000 miles. It would be a 3rd car that I only drive in the summer. Probably 5,000 miles max.
    This is more my price range for a "fun" car.
  • adgjmadgjm Member Posts: 1
    Just bought the car, and can't get the driving lights to come on. I can't find a switch inside, and they don't automatically come on, any suggestions
  • mic11mic11 Member Posts: 4
    No negative vibes please. I just bought a 99 JXI in mint condition and only 56k original miles. This baby was garaged and well cared for. Maroon, black roof, black leather. I love the way it looks. Rides just ok. Handles well. Poor power from the 2.4 auto transmission. I have been driving it like crazy for a month with not one stange sound. I plan on keeping for a while and want this forum to rock. If anyone knows of a site selling enhancement parts for this car, let me know.
    Congrats on getting your Sebring. I recently bought a Caravan with the same engine. There are specific maintenance requirements for this engine, especially the timing belt replacement at 90K. Be sure to check out your owners manual. Good luck.
  • prhoadsprhoads Member Posts: 2
    I bought this car mid '05 with 66K. Looks almost new, I change Mobil 5w-20 every 4 K. I really like it; everything seems to work O.K. Opened the hood today after seeing a small trail of oil on the driveway and was confronted with a thoroughly oily engine, the dip stick showing below min.
    Someone said it might be a head gasket around the air intake plenum, and it'll cost me about $700 to fix. Huh? I'm a car guy of sorts and I never heard of oil leaking into an air intake???

What should I do? Should I just walk into my local Chrysler dealer backwards holding my ankles while wincing? Any help will be appreciated! Thanks, Pete
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    chasguyz, since there have been a number of posts about leaks, I've moved your post to our existing Chrysler Sebring Water Leaks discussion.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• cwillcwill Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    New to the forum, but was hoping to find a Sebring Fan Club since I just obtained an 02 Limited Convertible. I am looking to improve engine performance and would like to raise it off the ground, more old school muscle car look if possible. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    cwill
  • eleganteelegante Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Does anyone know where the location of the BCM( body control module) is? I have a 1997 Chsyler Sebring convertible and the digital mileage count on the dash, I think its called the tachometer and the rpm gauge have stopped functioning. I was told that the BCM might be the problem and looking at a lot of other web sites I think thats what its gonna be. I want to do it myself, I was told it was behind the dasn board or by the fuse box. So if anyone can help me please, let me know where its located at so I know what it looks like and go get the part. thanks
  • dlane1dlane1 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my sons 97 sebring actually an easy fix the instrument cluster most likely is defective they probably should have had a recall on it but really isnt a saftey issue more of an annoyance. If you type sebring convertible club in google and join the club. there is a (how to) on that instrument cluster. It comes out easily basically plug and play. I ordered a rebuilt one from someone on ebay think it was 150.00 works great or you can resolder the one you have. personally I found it better to get the rebuilt one.
  • pkgman2pkgman2 Member Posts: 13
    Hope you found them by now, I just bought a 2000 Jxi with 125K on it, and LOVE this car.. Fun to drive, in reasonably good shape and great to drive.

Took me about a month to find the driving light switch too, its on the light switch, pull the knob out, but they only work in low beam.

OK OK actually my kid found it.
  • tr3alptr3alp Member Posts: 5
    I found mine just before I got the owner manual. BTW, search for missing manuals on EBAY. There were several choices.
    The switch on the stalk is not for the DRL, but for the FOG lights. I'd like to use them with high beams too, but that isn't an option.

As far as the DRL, the dealer could NOT activate them despite telling the car it was made in Canada or with a forced override. A needed relay is left out of US cars. I found it online for $60 to $90. So I'm doing without! :(
  • lvaustinlvaustin Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where to find some good seat covers or seats for a 96 gray leather jxi? I see some on ebay but, they aren't the righ year. Does anyone know what years would be the same besides the 96? Thanks
  • neillondonneillondon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Sebring Convertible. The rear drivers side window does not work very well. It lowers fine but does not come back up all the way. Can I do anything to fix this myself.

thanks,

Neil
    neillondon@hotmail.com
  • lantern1lantern1 Member Posts: 1
    After having a tune up on my 2000 Sebring convertible, the "check engine" light stayed on constantly and the gas gauge was incorrect (both the manual one and the electronic). Ran out of gas when had registering a quarter tank!

The mechanic advised me to unhook the positive terminal to the battery to reset the check engine light and gas gauge.
    I disconnected the wires of the postive connection of the remote battery terminals under the hood and then reconnected. Now the engine will not start. The windows and A/C work, but no other electric output. Any ideas?
  • dreamgoddessdreamgoddess Member Posts: 1
    I bought an '06 Sebring Touring convertible today...this is my first time ever having a convertible. In doing a google search on convertibles, I kept seeing references to a boot. I know this is probably a silly question, but will someone please explain to me exactly what a convertible boot is?
  • tncarmantncarman Member Posts: 82
    A convertible boot is simply where the top is stored when it is down. In my 2000 Sebring, its a space behind the rear seats that the top folds into
  • lvaustinlvaustin Member Posts: 2
    The boot is the piece that is c shaped that goes over the convertible top after it is put down-- it fits directly over the top and protects it and makes it look more finished and keeps it clean-----I used mine for a year or so-- now it's just stored in my attic-- it matches the trim on the inside of the car and is made of leather/plastic type material.
  • divarittedivaritte Member Posts: 3
    I recently bought a 2006 convertible and the car did not come with a boot cover. I am trying to avoid paying more than $400 from a dealer, does anyone out there have one they are looking to sell?

Thanks!
  • mikebuckleymikebuckley Member Posts: 16
    Someone answering a similar question on another forum mentioned an eBay storefront called Glitter and Gadgets Collectables that sells them for about $125.