Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Sebring Convertible

Comments

• divarittedivaritte Member Posts: 3
    Thanks! I did purchase on from Glitter and Gadgets and won a bid for only $70.00! Thanks for the tip!
  • songwritersongwriter Member Posts: 1
    CAN ANYONE HELP ME.? I HAVE TRIED TO FIND A PLACE THAT SOLD CHROME FENDER TRIM FOR MY 2006 SEBRING CONVERTIBLE,AND I CAN'T FIND ANYONE THAT HAS IT.IF YOU KNOW SOME PLACE,PLEASE CONTACT ME
  • dougbuckleydougbuckley Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2006 Sebring Convertible that does not have a boot. Looking for either brown or black. I have Googled, Yahooed, and MSNed but have only found Taupe for my year model. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • neauxbunnyneauxbunny Member Posts: 13
    Have replaced the electric motor in Lincolns but never the Sebring convertible.

Sometimes it will not respond to the driver's side control at all....but will with the passenger side controls.

However, even when it DOES work, it is very sluggish.

Is a total replacement required or will it end up being the less than a dollar plastic gear like in the Lincoln?

Thanks in advance!

Da Bunny
  • pnkshawnpnkshawn Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 06 sebring touring Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) conv with 19K miles for $14K ($15 out the door). CPO comes with 8yr/80K powertrain. The dealer offered 7yr/100K bumper-to-bumper Chrysler warranty for about $1000 (with $100 deductible). Is there a better deal on this warranty - what is the best way to go about it. I still have 20K mile factory warranty.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Chrysler warranties can be bought online. Do a Google search "Chrysler warranty" and you can fine the dealers that sell the warranty online. Get a quote for the type of warranty coverage that you like and compare the price with the dealer's price. Generally, your dealer will match the price. An alternative is to get a non-Chrysler backed warranty (e.g. CNA National Warranty). Some dealers push this warranty because Chrysler has been tough to deal with in processing warranty claims in some situations. Good luck.
  • azjoeazjoe Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if you found the fender trim for your Sebring? I have a 2005 and am looking for the same trim.
  • tricia125tricia125 Member Posts: 6
    Hi . . . I'm trying to decide....Seabring Convertible or VW Eos . . .. ? Any suggestions? :)
  • pnkshawnpnkshawn Member Posts: 2
    If your budget is >28K, need hardtop conv, can do with a smaller car, and absolutely love VW then Eos is for you. If not, buy a used Sebring .... great value, decent ride, same envy from coworkers and more legroom. Reliability is non-issue if you buy ext warranty. If you care about the brand you should be looking at Toyota, Mini or BMW conv.
  • ghingusghingus Member Posts: 2
    I second the vote on the EOS. We looked at them just the other week. Sebring changed to a square car full of plastic and fake crome. I'm thinking about doing the same route too.
  • tricia125tricia125 Member Posts: 6
    Hello & thank you for replying ! I'm worried about the VW Eos (leaking problems) but then again...if you search the internet long enough, you're going to find problems with EVERY vehicle out there ! (My current convertible does NOT leak, yet many other people have this same car that does leak). It's just like looking for a hotel at Trip Advisor . com . ... . there isn't a hotel out there that has ONLY positive reviews ! Still, I feel worried about picking the Eos over the Seabring as it's a "VW" and I haven't loved my jetta VW or my cabrio VW . . .. but the Eos seems so much more fun than the Seabring! Oh...I just don't know.... :shades:
  • mikebuckleymikebuckley Member Posts: 16
    Considering that your concerned about the possibility of problems down the road (pun intended), it might be a good idea to determine the cost of extended warranties for the EOS and the Sebring. I don't know how they compare, but my point is that if the extended warranty is considerably more expensive on one car than the other, the warranty company's perception is that there is comensurately greater chance that repair expenses will be greater.
  • danielt70danielt70 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know what the current factory-to-dealer unadvertised incentive is for 2008 Sebring Touring Convertibles? I live in Buffalo, NY and am looking for a sweeter deal now, with the snow flying and heading into December.

Any advice on purchasing this vehicle is appreciated - thanks in advance.

-Dan
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    I can tell you what the EP (employee purchase) price would be. Then it's just a matter of contacting an employee for one of their 2 non relative discount codes.

Go to www.chrysler.com and click on the Build My Own link. Make of note of the exact color, packages, options you want and post it here. I'll tell you the price.
  • danielt70danielt70 Member Posts: 7
    Tedebear,

This is cut-and-paste from the actual sticker on-line, item for item:

CHRYSLER SEBRING TOURING CONVERTIBLE
    Exterior Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat Exterior Paint
    Interior Color: Dark Khaki/Light Graystone Interior Colors
    Interior: Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats
    Engine: 2.7-Liter V6 DOHC 24-Valve MPI Engine
    Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic Transmission
    STANDARD EQUIPMENT(UNLESS REPLACED BY OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT)
    FUNCTIONAL / SAFETY FEATURES
    Advanced Multistage Front Air Bags**
    Supplemental Front Seat Side Air Bags**
    Supplemental Side Air Bags**
    LATCH-Ready Child Seat Anchor System
    Child Seat Upper Tether Anchorages
    Rear Window Defroster
    Anti-Lock 4-Wheel-Disc Brakes
    Touring Suspension
    Power Locks
    Headlamp Off Time Delay
    Speed Control
    Sentry Key(R) Theft-Deterrent System
    Keyless Entry
    Power Windows with 1-Touch Down in Front
    Power Top and Windows Down Key Fob
    Power Rack-and-Pinion Steering
    Inside Emergency Trunk Lid Release
    Power Trunklid Release
    Power Accessory Delay
    Variable Intermittent Windshield Wipers
    INTERIOR FEATURES
    Air Conditioning
    Rearview Mirror with Reading Lamps
    Driver's Manually-Adjustable Lumbar Support
    YES Essentials(R) Stain/Odor Resistant Seat Fabric
    AM/FM Stereo Radio w/In-Dash 6-Disc DVD/MP3 Player
    6 Speakers
    Traveler/Mini Trip Computer
    Analog Clock
    Temperature and Compass Gauge
    Tachometer
    Tire Pressure Monitoring Display
    Center Floor Console with Fore/Aft Sliding Armrest
    Rear Courtesy Console Lamp
    Satin Silver Instrument Panel Bezel
    Center Console 12-Volt Power Outlet
    Auxiliary 12-Volt Power Outlet
    Electroluminescent Instrument Cluster
    Tilt/Telescope Steering Column

PRICE INFORMATION (contd.)
    "Touring" Badge
    Premium Front and Rear Floor Mats
    EXTERIOR FEATURES
    Power Vinyl Convertible Top
    Hard Tonneau Cover
    Quad LHD Optics Headlamps
    17" x 7.0" Aluminum Wheels
    P215/60R17 BSW All Season Tires
    Power Heated Mirrors
    Removable Short Mast Antenna

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
    Customer Preferred Package 28E
    Electronics Convenience Group $ 910
    Auto-Dimming Mirror with Reading Lamp
    Air Conditioning with Automatic Temperature Control
    Air Filtering
    Automatic Headlamps
    Security Alarm
    Remote Start System
    Universal Garage Door Opener
    Heated/Cooled Front Console Cupholder
    Special Touring Group $ 1,495
    Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats
    Leather-Wrapped Shift Knob
    Fog Lamps
    Steering Wheel-Mounted Audio Controls
    Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
    Power Cloth Convertible Top
    18" x 7.0" Aluminum Wheels
    P215/55R18 BSW AS Touring Tires
    Windscreen
    Electronic Stability Program $ 425
    Traction Control
    6 Boston Acoustics Speakers $ 495
    SIRIUS(R) Satellite Radio $ 195
    1-Year Service Provided by SIRIUS(R)
    For More Information, Call 1-888-539-7474
    Taupe Cloth Top

DESTINATION CHARGE $ 675

TOTAL PRICE:* $ 32,265

He called me last week, told me to "come on in, Christmas has come early!" I asked him for a price range we'll be dealing from, and he refused. I haven't talked to him since. All he said was it would be significantly below invoice. I figure the unadvertised incentive must be significant.

Thanks for your help,

-Dan
    Dan, I tried to configure a vehicle on the Build My Own link based on what you listed. As close as I could get to it was $32,440, including the $675 destination charge. Some things that were previously individual options sometimes get included in packages during the model year and the package price changes.

Anyway, the EC price for what I came up with is $27,269. That includes a $2,000 cash allowance (rebate) and a $3,171 employee discount. There is also a $200 program fee that would be added for any non-employee or relative.

The two MSRP sticker prices are within $200 of each other and it should get you fairly close to what the EC price would be for that particular vehicle.
  • mcginty1mcginty1 Member Posts: 3
    I posted this in the wrong discussion group yesterday so will try again.
    I had got out of my 1997 Sebring JXi in the driveway and noticed that the drivers side window was down. I reached in and pushed the button to close it but it stopped half way up. I lowered it all the way and tried again. This time it stopped briefly, made a horrible snapping sound and went up. I thought it had gone up properly until I closed the door. The window hit the top and in front of the door behind the mirror. What had happened was it had gone up about 2 inches higher than it should have.

I pulled the door panel to see if it was out of a channel or something but when I really don't know how it works, it is hard to determine the problem. What I really wanted to do was remove the window then put it back in to see if it was out of place. Does anyone know how to remove the window? Also, I could see an adjustment at the rear side of the window to stop it, is there something like that at the front? Any other ideas about what actually happened and how to fix it would be appreciated.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, mcginty,

You did get a response in the other topic -- you might want to take a look at it to see if it answers your question while you're waiting for an answer here.
    Chrysler Sebring Transmission Issues

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• bigeeebigeee Member Posts: 5
    I am a real man and I just bought one. I have heard that also, but I say, what the heck, it's a pretty car, big enough to carry a set of clubs & on long trips I can add so fun on warm sunny days.

Go for it! Real men don't care what others think!

KG
    Wow - you know your reply was to a message that was originally posted on Dec 22, 2003, nearly 4 years ago, right?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Well, sometimes search engines dump people onto older pages, so if bigeee did not notice, it's completely understandable.

Welcome to CarSpace, bigeee - glad to have you aboard! :)
  • skronenwetterskronenwetter Member Posts: 1
    My battery will only hold a charge sometimes. Every few days My car will not start, the battery is dead, even jumping it is hard. I put a new battery in twice and soon after the same thing happens again. I jumped it one day and then drove it about 10 miles and it would not start again, the next day I jumped it and drove it about 15-20 miles and later that day it started just fine. The only thing that happens that may be unique is that when the battery is almost dead, not enough to turn it over, the ignition light (where I put the key) will filcker and quietly buzz? I have no access to a garage and I love my car, does anyone have any idea what is going on? I am ready to pull my hair out, please help if anyone can.
    You said your battery is failing to hold a charge - even two new batteries are doing this. Are you sure the charging system is okay? Places like AutoZone will check it for free if you don't have access to the proper testing equipment.

Here's a link to checking the charging system. There are a few things you might look at that the person at AutoZone won't inspect. Some things, such as corrosion, loose connections and proper tension on the alternator belt don't require any meters or special tools.

http://autorepair.about.com/od/electricaltroubleshooting/a/battery_check.htm
  • divarittedivaritte Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I have a 2006 Sebring convertible (Touring) and the theft alarm has been going off randomly. I have tried to de-activate by using the key rather than the remote to no avail. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks!
  • mcginty1mcginty1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1997 Sebring JXi convertible. At times,usually shortly after starting the car, the digital display for the odometer and automatic transmission and the tachometer quit working. After 10 or 15 minutes they come back on and stay on most the time. Only once when I was driving several hours did it go off more than once. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? I asked a Chrysler service department and they didn't sound too encouraging. They basically said it would be hard and expensive to find the problem. I was wondering if it could be a faulty fuse or a loose ground.
  • bogie01bogie01 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same car, and had the same problem, as have many others. If you can handle a soldering iron on electronic circuits (or if you know someone who can) you can fix the problem easily.
    You have to remove the instrument cluster from the dashboard. - not a big deal.

The problem is on the circuit board on the back side of the instrument cluster. There are three ceramic power resistors( cylindrical items with color coding stripes. the resistor bodies on mine were blue) that are mounted too close to the circuit board. These get hot in operation and you will easily see where the circuit board is burned.

The resistors are fine. The problem is that the solder joints that connect the resistors to the board have cracked due to thermal stress and the connection becomes intermittent. This is what causes the intermittent operation of your instrument cluster.

I used some small pieces of wire to patch up the circuit board and reinforce the solder connections. When resoldering the resistor connections, I spaced the resistor bodies about 1/16 inch off the board, supported by their leads, instead of mounting them tightly against the circuit board. This removes the hot resistor from direct contact with the circuit board and gives room for air to circulate so the board won't burn again.
  • scottiedoggscottiedogg Member Posts: 1
    of my 2002 GTC 5Speed is the free-revving 2.7L engine. Will easily redline in 3rd, 4th or 5th with plenty of torque. Can punch it to 90+ in 3rd to do freeway merge (in an emergency only, of course!). The rest of the car is pretty mediocre, build quality, engineering, sound system and little details (like no lumbar adjustment on driver's seat) all reflect the philosophy of corner/cost-cutting... resulting in very little "real value" and questionable reliability. I bought mine in December of 2007 and have put about 11K miles on it since. One other good thing - a surprise - is the 32MPG on regular gas.

Because of low resale - I didn't pay a lot for this car, but it won't be worth much when I go to sell it either.

;)
  • dklynn2dklynn2 Member Posts: 6
    Well, I'm surprised to see that there aren't any notes on rear view mirrors since 2005! But I also have this problem...my autodim mirror (the replacement one I found in a junkyard in San Diego after MUCH searching (I live in Virginia!!) is again fogged up to where it's practically unusable. I found some on eBay but they were not the right ones (must be convertible for the mounting bracket, must be '97 or '98 (I think) to have the 7-pin connector. Any leads?????? :confuse:
  • rsgalrsgal Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I just want to hear I'm not crazy.. that what I believe happened is POSSIBLE. In Apr. got the rear windshield in my 05 replaced (was falling out !) Dealer did work as it was under warranty. Got the car back and noticed I could hardly close the right side top latch (where it fits into header) without HUGE effort. Even had to sit in passenger side sometimes to get it to shut. It seemed to have come back to me outrageously tight but I thought (naively) "It must need to stretch out or something." Mid May I was washing the car and noticed a stress crack on the front windshield. It runs from the top on the passenger side (same area as inside right top latch) to mid windshield,and from the bottom (same area) to mid windshield. There's about a one inch uncracked space between the two cracks. I took the car back to the dealer and told them the whole story, showed them the crack, etc. Service manager agreed it was stress cracks but said since there was no proof it was due to the top being tight they'd not repair it. They also said I couldn't prove the top was tighter and that a new rear window being installed wouldnt make it tighter anyway. And.....sigh... it went out of warranty two weeks after initial work so I havent a leg to stand on. I just want to hear its POSSIBLE. Anyone else have a problem like this?
  • jjj3rdjjj3rd Member Posts: 1
    Sometimes I get an urge to do the Twist when I drive, but never the Shimmy
  • lolli2lolli2 Member Posts: 4
    I recently bought a 2002 Sebring Convertible LX and can't seem to find many aftermarket parts for it. I really want a chrome grill. I don't want one of those kits, but the actual whole grill. I guess the ones for the Sebring sedan don't fit. Anyone know where I can get one?
    Thanks in advance! I love the car so far.
    Or maybe someone knows if a 2002 Chrysler Sebring Grill fit fit the 2002 LX? It looks like the GTC's grill is chrome. I called Chrysler and they didn't know if it would fit.
    Thanks!
    Sorry, in the last message I was asking if anyone knew if the GTC convertible grill would fit an LX convertible.
    Someone told me a 2001 Camaro grill would fit a Sebring LX convertible. Anyone know?
  • slowhand2slowhand2 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 1997 with the same problems,why chryslar dont recall and fix i dont know....made in Mexico
  • srikpsrikp Member Posts: 7
    I am contemplating buying a used 2001 Sebring Convertible LXi.

The positive:

1. As per the seller, the car has done only 59K miles
    2. The seller seems genuine and has openly admitted to what is/was wrong and whether or not she has fixed it
    3. She is willing to share the receipts and is open to anyone getting their own mechanic to inspect the car (could work both ways - you play with the psychology of the person or you are confident that the car will pass inspection)
    4. Willing to sell for $4500 (much less than KBB price of $8000+)

The negatives:

1. The car has had 2 owners
    2. As per carfax report, the car was involved in an accident and quotes structural damage. The seller has admitted that the dealer she bought it from did tell her about the accident but said it was repaired and re-certified to factory standards
    3. The car requires 2 new rear tires
    4. And the BIG ONE:

a. As per carfax, the last odometer reading in May 2007 was 64K miles
    b. As per seller, the odometer reading now is 59K miles
    c. She says the dealer who send the update to carfax must have sent 54K instead of 64K and it was entered incorrectly

So I would like your advise....is this a good deal or what?
  • sizsiz Member Posts: 2
    2003 Sebring convertible. Front passenger seat (non-electric) is jammed as far back as possible. Pulling up the release bar at the front of the seat doesn't help. How can I release it?
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Walk away from it and shop elsewhere. Sebring convertibles are a dime a dozen. You can find them anywhere because so many were rentals that were dumped onto the used car market. Good luck.
  • urbanaguyurbanaguy Member Posts: 1
    take a look under the seat i also own a sebring but dont have this problem, but my girlfriend,s van has the same problem i looked under the seat and there was a broken wire that goes to locks on both sides the the seat when the lever is pulled check to see if this wire has broken or has come off.
  • mumble88mumble88 Member Posts: 9
    I got a chrysler 300C and i was just wondering if the cover will damage my paint by any chance. Becuz I got myself a new cover for my car from carscover.com and just worried that it might scratch my paint and i really don't want to see that happen to my car.
  • jav008jav008 Member Posts: 1
    HI: I had the same problem with the odometer, however I got it fix by a help of some friends, I will give you the link and follow the instructions. It will work I haven't had a problem since. http://members.cox.net/dpeters30/97_sebring_dash.htm
    have a nice day
  • isaachernandezisaachernandez Member Posts: 14
    I am new to forums and new to this one. The reason for mounting resistors close to the circuit board is to draw heat away from the resistor using the circuit board to dissipate the heat. It is not a good idea with ceramic resistors (which tend to run fairly hot) and not with cheap circuit boards. The combination is trouble with a capital T. Your fix seems sound as long as the resistor doesn't end up near plastic.
    I know that you posted in 2005 but I am faced with the same problem now. What was the fix? If there is a reservour, where is it and did your system just need a good burp?
  • hartingerhartinger Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Sebring Convertible who's top is not coming up without help. The dealer say's the fluid has leaked out and to replace the pumps and motor (which are still working). Have you received any replies to your problem. Is there a way to fill the system without replacing ? Thanks Ron
    Ron, I have not received any replies. I just checked the fluid level at the pump in my car and it looks plenty full. I was thinking that a place that specializes in hydraulics might have a better way to burp the system and/or find leaks. The reservoir may not be higher up than the rest of the system.
    Before getting too involved, I lubricated all the joints with a spray lubricant. My personal choice was white grease. It worked for a few months then the problem came back.
    In my 2002 the motor/reservoir is behind the rear seat. The seat bottom pulls straight up from the front and easily pulls forward and out. The rear is easily pulled up and out after removing the two nuts (17mm) that hold the seat belt/lower bracket plate in the center of the backrest on the floor. I also removed the two bolts (T50) that secure the seat belts to the floor at each end. I will keep you posted.
    Isaac
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    An advertising agency would like to speak with satisfied Chrysler Sebring drivers. If you own or regularly drive one of these vehicles, please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Friday, October 31st.
  • sebringpatsebringpat Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Sebring Convertable that developed the following: The Auto headlight switch stopped working, except when the car is shut off than the lights come out and will go out automatically. The convertable top switch stopped working so I can not use the top. The heated seats stopped working and the Auto heat also stopped working.
    It is at the dealership now and has been all day and they do not have a clue what is wrong (at $98 an hour). Has anyone experianced this problem or any part that I discribed, it would be helpful.
  • wesley07wesley07 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 98 convertible and having serious problems with it. It has been at the dealership for 3 weeks and they cant figure it out! When you first start the car after sitting over night it will run just fine for about 5 min. then when you give it gas it stalls and wants to die. It will sit and idle but when you give it gas it stalls and dies! It will drive down the road at about 15 mph but give it anymore gas than that it stalls and dies if you dont let off of it! They have replaced (so far) MAP sensor, fuel pump and filter, catalytic converter, fuel line that was bad, nothing has worked. It is showing no codes, dealership says now they do not know what is wrong! Can anyone help?? They are now leaning towards the distributor???
  • silverstone7silverstone7 Member Posts: 8
    I hate to say this but fire 'em and take it some place else.. When you plug in the OBD2 diagnostic computer and it shows no codes then the problem has to be an obvious mechanical issue.. Like they didn't bleed off the air out of the injector rail or it has a vacume leak some where in the air intake system. Even if the engine is misfiring the computer will show it.. I'm really surprised that the O2 sensors aren't coughing up codes though.. If it were a distributor issue then what does the timing look like on the timing gun? BTW replacing the catalytic converter for this issue was really streaching it. At the end of the day sound like they are shotgunning the repair not troubleshooting it..