Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Chevy Silverado vibration

Comments

• rshornsbyrshornsby Member Posts: 200
    under the rug if they can. And if nobody goes to court to correct it, they will keep doing it to get big $BUCKS$ in their market share. Too bad they can't operate honestly and admit the mistake is something that they have no handle on yet....
    Inagine just how many sales that GM is loosing just because they cannot do the right thing.....
    In my opinion GM is extremely STUPID, not dumb STUPID>>>>!!!!

Roger (Cancelled order).
  • chinaskichinaski Member Posts: 2
    Bigvette: I Just purchased 1500 2wd LB and have put 600 miles on it. I have jumped on the highway and tested mine three or four times now. So far I have seen no vibration. In fact I almost got a ticket -- I explained to the police officer what I was doing and he smiled and said "enough testing for one day" and let me go. The ride isn't smooth as silk, but hey -- its a truck.
  • hogboyhogboy Member Posts: 84
    Ryan, like Bradley, I also just purchased a 2000 Silverado, reg cab, longbed, 4x4, 4.8, autotrak,etc etc. I have about 620 miles on my truck. At 1st I didn't take delivery on mine because it was pulling strongly to the right. I went back & tested again & it seemed fine(maybe worked its way out, whatever,) Anyhow, no vibrations or problems(so far.) Beyond a doubt, if this continues, this vehicle will be the best truck I've ever owned. 1st Chevy truck for me & I've been driving them since '78. Also 1st auto trans. Its all in the luck of the draw. If you don't get the "monday or friday" truck you should be alright. Don't forget some of these folks have never driven trucks before & they expect them to ride, perform & handle like cars. To those invisible folks I say, good luck & good selling.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    No, the problem isn't always apparent from the start. My 2K Sierra reg cab 2wd didn't develop the shakes until it had several hundred miles on it. You are definitely rolling the dice on a GM truck right now. Mine was built the week of Nov. 22, so as of then they had not figured out the problem, or at least had not implemented a fix. I would wait if I was you. I sold my '96 Silverado with only 49,000 miles on it to buy my 2000 GMC, and I now wish I would have waited.
  • kingfishguskingfishgus Member Posts: 112
    In my experience here, and with my own vibrating truck, it seems most all problems have been limited to 2wd extended cab 1500's, and an awfull lot of them have had the new Eaton locking differntial they just started putting in during the 1999 model year. There have been a few reg cabs and 4x4's, but some were fixed with just tires I believe. I know of one ext cab short bet 1500 that didn't start vibrating till about 12000 miles. Who knows.
  • kansankansan Member Posts: 115
    white6 - What tires do you have. If you have Goodyear Wrangler 235s it sounds just like my problems (see post 337).
    kingfishgus - Mine doesn't have the locking differential. It has the 3.42 rear end.
  • number1number1 Member Posts: 71
    Were these upgraded tires or the standard 1500 2wd LS tires. My order will come in shortly and I upgraded the tires (option qcj $295)
    They must have been standard tires as I don't recall the window sticker listing any upgrades besides the engine, transmission, and tinted windows. If you upgraded you hopefully won't have the same tire problem.
  • bg4dgbg4dg Member Posts: 44
    It's NOT just the 2wd's. My '00 Z71 started the "wheel hop" as the first dealer called it, at about 1000 miles. He blamed it on a particular section of freeway here in So. Cal, but it does it everywhere, and seems to be getting worse. (2500 mi. now). I talked to a former GM engineer who has his own repair shop around here now, and he said it's a bad combination of frame flex, spring rate, and shock valving. Makes sense to me. I told cust. svc. this after the first dealer said they had "a blank check" from GM to fix these trucks, but did nothing! It was suggested to try stiffer shocks or an add a leaf to change the relationship between the three. GM said OK and to try another dealer who promptly told me that nothing could be done even though at times the shake will "empty your coffee cup". I've since told GM to do SOMETHING or buy it back. I'm waiting to hear from the first dealer and a zone rep. If it wasn't for that shake, it would be a great truck. I bought it over the Tundra even though it was about 3K more. I would wait to buy one until GM figures this out.
    Is your problem a steering wheel shimmy problem, or a vibration of the whole truck. From the way you describe it it sounds like we have different problems. Mine is just a steering wheel shimmy, the rest of the truck is pretty much unaffected. Unless your watching my steering wheel you wouldn't notice the problem.
    Also, when the dealer put a new set of tires of one of their new Silverados my shimmy disappeared.
  • al2al2 Member Posts: 73
    I can't believe that GM has taken the negative publicity and paid dealers thousands of dollars to do something about the vibration problem if the simple answer is bad tires. If over a period of a year or more they have let Goodyear or Firestone diddle with bad tires and not cut them loose doesn't make sense.
    In theory GM would have been better off buying Michelens even at twice the cost just to overcome the problem.
    I know people are looking for a quick fix that will cure this frustrating problem, but I doubt that tires can be the big answer.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    were directly related to my General tires 255/70R16 on my '00 LS xcab 5.3. When dealer replaced them with new set, the vibrations disappeared, wheel hop on concrete freeway gone. My problems first appeared at 700 miles. I have put on 1500 miles with new set of Generals and do not have the wheel hop and a little vibration at 55-60. No vibrations before 55 or after 60. General has replaced all five tires when dealer requested that only one be replaced. Of course they never admitted to the tires being defective but I can't figure out why they would send five rather than the one tire requested by the dealer. Just my opinion.
    In my 337 post I referenced a post by jed1894 that they changed his Goodyears to Firestone 265s. This statement was wrong.
    I looked back at the old posts and found post 282 by jed1894 that stated they switched out his Goodyears for Generals, and that solved his problem (however, he still has vibration problems when towing a load). This makes sense, as they wouldn't change the tire size as this would invalidate the warranty.
    Maybe the Generals are what you upgraded to for $295.
    I would hope that they were more like Michelins at $75.00 a tire. General tires would be a letdown, since I have heard that their construction process is not of the caliber that you would normally see in a Michelin.
    I will post what tire the $295 bought me when my truck comes in (hopefully) next week.
  • bg4dgbg4dg Member Posts: 44
    My Z71 has 245 firestones on it. The very first thing that was done, I had all four balanced, but it might have made things worse if anything. That was just a cheesy spin balance, not with that new loaded tire balancer I've heard of. I agree with the dealer that the road has a lot to do with it, but my T100 didn't have the problem, and I don't notice any other extended cabs having this problem. (it was claimed that the wheelbase is just the right length to be affected by the "sections" the freeway is paved in. even though the Ford and Dodge are about the same wheelbase). The truck actually bounces, shaking like it would over wavy pavement. It is so bad at times that it will make the CD player skip. You can see the whole truck bounce, especially the bed. I bought it because it was so much MORE comfortable than the T100. It turns out that's only true when I'm not on the freeway. I hope they find a fix, 'cause other than it being so low to the ground, I like this truck.
  • jed1894jed1894 Member Posts: 337
    rshornsby: You right. I was about to buy my wife a tahoe, but have decided on Honda CRV... the only reason is the problem I've had with GM... I even got the "Loyalty" offering an extended warranty if I bought a GM product. I sent the notice back and ask them to read my case file and then ask themselves if they would buy another GM.

Bigvette: If your 98 Silverado runs good, I'd keep it. If GM buys my truck back I plan to get good used 98 model. I believe the 98 and before models (I had several) were basically sound trucks. Something happened with 99 models that changed something. I'd wait till next year then reconsider.

Kansan: Your problem sounds exactly what I had. I had three (3) sets of Goodyear tires before I demanded they replace with different brands. Two (2) of the sets started feathering...all vibrated. I then took truck to a private tire dealer who I trusted. He informed me that I had two (2) warped rims and two bad Goodyear tires. The dealer authorized (purchase order) the private tire company to replace with new rims and American General tires. The truck rode great until I towed something. Now I'm lost. The truck rides fine without towing, but vibrates severly when towing light weight trailers. I have tried several trailers to make sure, but it still vibrates. The private tire company also informed me that Goodyear Wrangler tires are poor quality and GM knows it. He's replaced several sets for the local Chevy dealer. Bottom line: they'll keep putting on Goodyears for you until you make them switch. Generals are probably not much better in quality, but they're better than Goodyear for the vibration.

Good luck John
    rshornsby: You right. I was about to buy my wife a tahoe, but have decided on Honda CRV... the only reason is the problem I've had with GM... I even got the "Loyalty" offering an extended warranty if I bought a GM product. I sent the notice back and ask them to read my case file and then ask themselves if they would buy another GM.

Bigvette: If your 98 Silverado runs good, I'd keep it. If GM buys my truck back I plan to get good used 98 model. I believe the 98 and before models (I had several) were basically sound trucks. Something happened with 99 models that changed something. I'd wait till next year then reconsider.

Kansan: Your problem sounds exactly what I had. I had three (3) sets of Goodyear tires before I demanded they replace with different brands. Two (2) of the sets started feathering...all vibrated. I then took truck to a private tire dealer who I trusted. He informed me that I had two (2) warped rims and two bad Goodyear tires. The dealer authorized (purchase order) the private tire company to replace with new rims and American General tires. The truck rode great until I towed something. Now I'm lost. The truck rides fine without towing, but vibrates severly when towing light weight trailers. I have tried several trailers to make sure, but it still vibrates. The private tire company also informed me that Goodyear Wrangler tires are poor quality and GM knows it. He's replaced several sets for the local Chevy dealer. Bottom line: they'll keep putting on Goodyears for you until you make them switch. Generals are probably not much better in quality, but they're better than Goodyear for the vibration.

Good luck John
    about that..... 2 times... John
  • g8trg8tr Member Posts: 77
    I have a 99 Sierra SL reg. cab 3.42, 4.8l and I have been dealing with the vibes since July 1. I had my BBB arbitration hearing today and tried my best to really stick it to GM. Their rep. basically admitted that there is a problem with the trucks and they are in the process of solving the problem. GM does not consider this a problem with the value of the truck or is it a safety issue. What a crock of @#$! The only evidence they brought to the hearing was that the vibes were still under factory specs and since my vehicle is under warranty, they will continue to work on the truck. I don't have as much patience as a lot of you have. I have been to the dealer 8 times and spent around 11 days getting tires swapped around and new shackles and bushings installed as well as several new General tires. Regardless of the outcome of the hearing, I'm getting rid of the truck and going back to Ford. At least there if you have a serious problem (piston slap), they will replace the engine and try to make you happy. This has not been the experience that I have had with GM.
    I'll keep you posted. Don't ever give up the fight!
    I hope when my 2000 4dr ext cab SB comes in next week that I do not ge bad vibes. It sounds like a roll of the dice...many have seen no vibration problems at all.
  • jpfltawjpfltaw Member Posts: 43
    My arbitration inspection was today and the confirmations of the vibration complaint will be sent in for a hearing on Mon 1/24. The inspector wrote a lot of things on his pad. I can tell from his expressions that he could feel all of the vibrations and rattles that are in my complaint. My truck was rcvd on 6/1 and spent over 40 days in the shop. Yet the dealer says there is nothing wrong. The service manager told me, " i'ts a truck what do you expect, i's a truck". The last visit took them 6 days to align the front end.

Sewel Chevrolet, N.O.LA SUCKS!!!!!
  • chinaskichinaski Member Posts: 2
    How can you find out on what day your vehicle was made?
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I have 21,900 miles on my '99 1500 LS 4x4 Z71 Reg Cab long bed, Z71, tow package, 4.10 Eaton locker, aluminum wheels.

I have no trace of vibration, never did, and have not balanced the tires. Just rotated once. (Firestone P265 Wilderness A/T is a good tire)

I think the front end shimmy is a problem in 2wd trucks which are different in several ways.

1.) 2WD trucks have rack and pinion steering vs the recirculating ball in 4x4.

2.) 2WD trucks use coil springs, the 4x4 uses torsion bars.

Good luck to all.

P.S. > At first, I balked about paying the price premium for those Wilderness A/T tires. It seemed like a lot at the time. Maybe GM knew something?
  • marcmarc Member Posts: 21
    Well, I just had my trans flashed to fix the grinding noise the toqure converter made when it locked in at 40mph and fix the hard shift from 2-3. Now, the converter will not lock in until 50+ mph....
    is that normal??

Also, now the engine will rev up to 2000 rpm at 30mph and not shift up to the next gear and when going 45 mph the tach is at 1800. It use to be about 1100 when the converter use to lock in sooner. I bet that will help my gas mileage!! The last time I check I got 12 city. Most of my town I drive 35-40 mph.

Today it is about 30 and no frost on the windows and they are frozen! I can't believe it, what a crock. All of my other cars/trucks would work unless there was lots of ice in the windows.

I haven't had a Ford in 20 years but I will be switch soon!!!!!!!!!

No Mo GM junk
    It's not just Goodyears. I have had 3 sets of Generals now, and this last set was balanced using the load balancing machine, and it was better although some vibs are still there. Called Chevy customer assistance and opened case after 5 or 6 tries by dealer. If it takes 14 tires and a special balancing machine, how are we ever going to get a replacement set of tires when these wear out?
    I had the 40mph shake, but when they reprogrammed the trans, it went away and the truck seems to be acting "normal" transmission wise, at least I haven't noticed anything.
    BTW, My 2wd 1500 Ext cab 4.8 gets 19.5 to 19.8 on expressway at 70-80 mph.

I can believe it is a shock, tire, spring thing since mine seems to be coming from the rear, and the only thing it could be are those items, and the rear end and frame.

I have a slight vibration felt though the steering wheel occasionally at 65 mph on a smooth road, but the major shake is occuring in the whole truck.
    Steering on these 2wd is strange anyway, with the wheel picking up any tire movement over bumps. That's probably a design flaw and not a "fixable" problem. If they would fix the vibration, you wouldn't feel it through the wheel.

I'm glad this topic getting more participants, alot of the old guys got mad and sold their trucks back, or gave up.
    Keep the heat on GM !!
    Mine are the 255's although the only difference from standard is the size upgrade from 235 to 255 and the white lettters.
    I wonder if the dealers have thought about the possibility that the weight difference in the
    white rubber in the white letters is causing tire imbalance??? That will probably come next :-(
    (Sad state of affairs we are involved in).
    Just my 2 cents, I have the Firestone Wilderness A/T blackwall 265's on my 2000 Silverado 4x4, no rear locker, cast alum wheels. About 650 miles now, so far, so good. Truck handles great in the snow. Carry 5, 3 hole blocks in 2x4 frame in back between wheel wells for a little extra weight when snow is in forecast. Ran the Goodyear oversize tires on my Ram & they were great. After all this hoop la wouldn't dare try them on the Chevy. Never thought much of Firestone. Maybe blessing in disguise.
  • petriheilpetriheil Member Posts: 19
    Shortly after the vehicle is manufactured your dealer receives the factory invoice electronically. Mine faxed me a copy with an hour of receiving it. On it you'll find the exact date it was built and the date they expect to get it to you (usually a two week window). Mine got from Oshawa, Canada, to Nashville, TN, in about a week and a half, then it took two weeks to find transportation to move it 100 miles south of there. Go figure.
  • wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    After reading these scary posts for nearly 3 months now, I made sure to test drive several trucks before actually buying / ordering one. The first 1/2 ton truck I drove was fairly smooth at all speeds up to 75, except right at 65 where it acted like a Mixmaster.

Other 1/2 tons drove either well at all speeds, or had noticabeable vibration in the 60 to 65 MPH range.

I then drove a 3/4 ton, and the difference was night and day. The 2500, although a firmer ride, felt smoother then the 1500 at all speeds, and had absolutely zero vibration at any speed. Also, the difference in performance (at least to me) between the 5.3 and 6.0 liter engines was nothing short of astounding.

After taking test drives, I then spoke to the service manager at every Chevrolet / GMC dealership in this area (about 15) and got their input on the vibration problem. Surprisingly, all of them acknowledged the problem existed (although most of them said it was only a small minority of total trucks sold) and their responses to the possible causes/fixes varied. However, the one thing that all of them mentioned, without my asking, was that the problem was confined to the 1500. They all seem to think that the extra weight of the 2500, along with recirculating ball steering as opposed to R&P in the 1500 was the key difference (I was skeptical of the R&P steering in the 1/2 tons when I first read about it in 1998. While periodic redesign of a truck involves many things, why change something as fundamental as the steering mechanism that has worked so well for many years?).

Based on all this, I've ordered a 2500 LS extended cab, 2wd, 6.0l. I'm interested to hear if anybody has had vibration problems in their 2500.
  • afs93afs93 Member Posts: 30
    I'm glad to see your post! I have a '00 X/C LT 4WD (4 dr) on order. My truck is s short box, but will be close to the same lenght as a long box regular cab. I selected the 3.73 rear axle ratio.

Have more of the problems been with 2WD trucks??? What about the 4WD pickups???

I would like to hear from anyone who has a extented cab 4WD with the 5.3 engine & 3.73 rear axle locker.

Thank you,
    AFS
  • s33bandits33bandit Member Posts: 1
    My dad has a 2000 Silverado 1/2 ton 4WD that vibrates.
    It is a highway speeds; 60-70 mph and will do it intermittently. Most times its on a downhill coast with a little throttle or in a slight pull or if a bump is hit.
    Dealership has had the truck 3 times. First, two tires were out of round(0.050) YES, 50 thousands!!!
    Second they kept it for 3 weeks. Third time it was put on a chassis dyno and they still have no idea.
    The case is going to arbitration with the BBB and GM.
    The truck only has 2000 miles on it. Lemon Law.
    Here are 3 other BB that have some info.......

http://www.pacific-audio.com/performance/discussion.html

http://www.elecnet.com/wwwboard//wwwboard.html

http://www.sportruck.com/tech/tech.htm
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    It will be interesting to see how your dad makes out w/lemon law, keep us posted. What State are you in?

Ray T.
    of the previous posts that someone had vibrations, was fixed, and found out that now vibrated when towing or hauling load? Just noticed that my '00 1500 ls xcab vibrates with a load of about 400 lbs. Vibrates like hell at 30-40 and light vibration at 60-65. Anyone remember the post and what the outcome was? Thanks for any help.
    Yeah, that was me. Just when I thought my truck was fixed, It started towing vibration. Don't know about the hauling part since I haven't hauled anything in the back.

My towing vibration feels like a cycling vibration, if that makes sense: it will run smooth for a couple of seconds then vibrate a couple of seconds. Feels like something in the transmission, but I just had a new one put in for my regular vibration (non-towing).

I am completely lost on what to do now. My dealer is also... I'm currently involved with buyback (8300 miles) with BBB. Good luck.

John
    thanks for the quick response. Good luck on your buyback. This is becoming a major pain. But I guess you already know that.

Dean
    What I was told buy the dealer (although we've all been told so much BS the truth is hard to separate)was that the vibration upon startup had to do with the driveshaft/rear end angle. The spring and shackle kit raises the rear of the truck about 1 inch, which does away with the startup vibs (0-15 mph). Problem is that when you put a load on it (tongue weight or something in the bed) the rear sags down some, and the vibs start again, since the angle of driveshaft/rear end is back to what it was before the spring/shackle change.
  • mikey42mikey42 Member Posts: 28
    Just thought I would post a good feeling post, I test drove 2 trucks last November. One had a slight vibration and the other one at a different dealer was perfect. I bought the perfect one, I wanted to save money and get the steel wheels but that dealer told me he would not carry the steel wheels due to vibrations, he said he would not even order me a truck with steel wheels. Right or wrong, I don't know, I just know my truck has no vibrations. I have hauled 1,200lbs to the dump (no bed liner, its a truck) and a car on a trailer at about 3,700lbs with no problems and have 5,100 miles in 2 months of happy ownership. Now if only the dealer could fix that annoying howling that happens every time I start the truck when it is not hot and not cold. If the truck is at full temp or cold it is fine but if I had it shut off long enough to cool down about half way then it has a howling noise for a few minutes when I restart it. Its quiet, you can't hear it when standing next to it unless the hood is open but you can hear it in the cab, I will live with it until I or dealer can identify it and fix it. I read so much here that I didn't even let the dealer fix the message center that is not telling me when to change my oil, like I would listen to an idiot light anyway, I was just worried about what else was not working. Those are the only 2 extremely minor annoyances I have had with the truck, I LOVE IT.
    mike
  • mikey42mikey42 Member Posts: 28
    oops, ok here at the details, its a 2000 built in Canada, I forget the date, 1500 2wd, ext. cab, short bed, 3 door, 5.3L, 3.42 rear end, Alu. wheels, its is according to these boards the combination with the most vibration problems and I have none. I love my truck, its the first car/truck that I have been able to say that about in well over 15 years, almost like being in high school again with power and a car that I like.

And no, I have not come up with a new problem, its just a very minor annoyance, I can live with that noise when I start it up. I just want to know what it is in case its something that I should get fixed. I will patiently wait till it gets worse and easy to find. Kind of like the "change oil" light, I went through the wiring diagram to make sure that nothing important is broken and decided that will all the posts here about things being worse after visits to the dealer, I would live without a change oil warning. Besides I change my oil _FAR_ more often than that light would tell me to anyway.

mike
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Sure it isn't the radiator fan? You could visit the dealership and listen to another truck like yours.
  • samrabbitsamrabbit Member Posts: 23
    Hi all, been awhile since writing, but check this post regularly. Truck now has six thousand miles. Funny thing, as the cold weather has set in in this area the vibration in the truck has been reduced to nothing. It is now sailing down the freeway with virtually no shake whatsoever. It sure is a nice truck without the shakes. 2600 miles on the last set of Firestone Wilderness AT which were match balanced and gave acceptable readings per GM. I am still trying to order a 2500 class truck but Ordering Process is not cooperating with dealer. They are having problems entering order into the system. I have posts all the way back to 143 concerning Vibration Problem.
    To catch up I have a Silverado 1500/ Z-71, 5.3/automatic, 3.73/posi, 4wd, reg cab/long bed.
    What a truck-other than shaking, there is no problems with the truck.
    Your experience with cold weather reducing the vibration to almost nothing is similar to mine (reference post 337). If the vibration depends on the temperature, it appears that the rubber tires would be the most likely culprit, as their characteristics are affected by temperature changes more than non-rubber/polymer components. The colder the temperature the stiffer the (and more stable) the rubber.
  • espdixieespdixie Member Posts: 25
    I've been reading this site for the 6 weeks I've had my 2000 Reg Cab, Sportside, 4.8L, 2WD,3.42 RE Silverado. Like many of you I only drove up to 55mph on the test drive and experienced no shakes. After a few miles I got on the road and the shakes started at 62 and just increased in frequency as the speed increased. Sure felt like a tire balance problem to me! Back to the dealer and a re-balance resulted in them finding all 4 of my G.Y Wranglers (235 x 75 x 16 RWL) out of balance by at least 1,25 oz. Trouble is the truck still had the shakes. Now this is , in my opinion, the best dealership on the planet so...was told was a known problem with the tires and 5 were promptly ordered. While the tires were on order I did a LOT of research on the topic. Called Goodyear and GM several times and both were aware of the problem GM changed the spec on the tire about 1 Oct 99. According too them and G.Y. the tires built AFTER that should take care of it, Looking at the date code (on the inside of the tire) resulted in discovering that mine were built in the 40th week of '99....pretty close to 1 October. Since I am a big Michelin fan I offered to pay the difference for 255 x 70 LT M.S's. GM would not authorize this since they were sure that my problem would be solved by the updated tires. Also G.Y. said that the "ST" is the ONLY tire they recommend for the Silverado when I asked if they had an upgraded tire for my application. They said they would "warranty" my tires but if the replacements didn't solve the problem then I was on my own....both GM and GY recommended waiting for the updated ST's. After 4 weeks mine came in and were installed. VIOLA!!!! the vibration is gone. I drove it 200 miles yesterday on all kinds of surfaces. From 55 - 90mph it is SMOOTH. Interestingly enough, the date code on the new tires is 45th week of '99. They are 5 weeks newer than the originals.

As a result it seems to me that a lot of you guys that have been switching tires and wheels have been getting the old spec tires. Go back to the dealer and see about tires that meet the later spec. It may not work in all cases but it just might too! It did for me and the truck is now all I had hoped it would be.
    This may be a stupid question, but where is the date code and how is it formatted? I was looking for seial numbers the other night and couldn't find anything that resembled one. Maybe I just didn't know exactly what I was looking for?
    Thanks,
    Ken
  • irish74irish74 Member Posts: 2
    i AM THINKING ABOUT PURCHASING MY FIRST PICK UP AT THE OLD AGE OF 67. YOUR VIBRATIONS STORIES LEAVE ME IN THE AIR. ITS SEEMS THAT TIRES, LB OR SB AND GET EITHER 2500 OR 3500 IS PART OF THE ANSWER.
    ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR THIS OLD RETIRED USAF GUY?
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Don't give up on the Silverado it's still the best truck out there (my opinion) Post 377 seems to be on to something good especially if GM & Goodyear are acknowledging the problem.
    I'm waiting on my 2500 2wd ext. cab shortbed to be produced week of 2/7.

Ray T.
    Sounds like exact story my dealer told me 6 months ago. They promised me that I had a bad set and that at a certain date the Goodyear tires would be fine. Yeah right, after three sets, it still vibrated. Although my problem was warped steel rims, the Goodyear tires were also bad.

By-the-way..... each time they put Goodyears on my truck, it ran different for 300-400 miles then returned with vibration. However, I hope they're telling you the truth and your problem is solved. It would be nice to hear some good positive GM news.

Also, the independent tire company that finally fixed my non-towing vibration, told me last week that he talked to the GM area service rep. who advised him that they (GM) were experiencing big problems with Goodyear tires on the Silverado.

Good luck, John
  • byersppbyerspp Member Posts: 4
    I picked up my 1500 Silverado on 1/12/00 and so far everything seems to be ok. Have about 1100 miles on it mostly in the country, both flat land and mountains. Fuel consumption on 87 octane is 19.1 mpg. Engine performance and transmission is great. Really a good match in the mountains. With a light load this is really more power than is needed.
    This is a 4x2 ext cab, 3door, short box, 4800 v8, auto trans, cast aluminum wheels with General tires, locking rear end, standard suspension-no trailer towing or any other special options.
    Only complaints at this time are slight wind noise at 55mph and higher-probably from 3rd door fit- and stiffness of ride with no-load. I have power bucket seats and expected to have a softer ride.
  • espdixieespdixie Member Posts: 25
    Kansan,
    The date code is on the inside if the tire only and is the last 3 nimbers of the DOT number. i.e. "409" is the 40th week of 1999. That is when the tire is made. I spoke with GY and GM and both said they were aware of the problem. Of course each pointed the finger at the other...GY said that the Silverado was extremely sensitive to tire/balance because of the stiffness of the frame and GM said that the tires provided to them by GY were not up to spec. GM said they had tightened up the spec in the 1 Oct tome frame and they expected the tires built after that to be better. My truck is much better with the replacement tires but is not perfect. I think this is road feel more than anything because it is very dependent on the type of road surface I am on. I hope that the vibration I had doesn't return after 4-500 miles but if it does it will still be tire related because the tires did cure it once. If they hadn't I would be concerned that something else was wrong. I now have put about 300 miles on these and see no change for the worse. I am concerned that when these tires need replacing I will go through this again. I wonder if ALL the GY ST's that are produced after the "magic" date will meet the spec. I usually replace OE tires with Michelin LT's with good results. Since Gy and GM told me the problem with the ST was the sidewall I wonder if the Michelins will work. I hope we are not locked in to GY since I'm not a big fan of them. I had a vib. problem on my wife's '99 Blazer too...it had Uniroyal Laredo's on it (and a bent rim). I replaced them with LT's and it is now smooth as silk. There is a great explanation of our problem on the Dunlop Home Page under Troubleshooting vibrations....it made me understand what was going on. Anyhow...for now I am happy...and thankful that my dealer is responsive to the problem. I believe the Silverado is as good as it gets in trucks. I have friends with Dodges, Fords, and Toyotas and have driven and ridden in all of them. As a "complete" package I think GM beats them all and would buy another one in a minute. Remember something to you guys that are contemplating buying one.....you are only hearing from the guys with problems. For everyone one of us there are many more out there with none at all. My recommendation is drive the truck you want to buy on the roads you are familiar with.....above 60mph.....if you are happy with it but it no matter what it says on the hood. I think most of you will end uo with a Chevy or GMC.

Rick
    John, you only go around once. I'd go for it. Picked up my 2000 Silverado on 12/31. Been driving nothing but pickups the last 22+ years. This is my 1st Chevy & 1st automatic. Its a great truck.
  • doudisdoudis Member Posts: 45
    Hi Guys and Gals,

I've posted here in the past but mostly I just like to read. Anyway here's what I got: 2000 GMC Sierra SLT 1500, 5.3L 3.73 Locker, Leather,Tinted windows, Best Stereo, Better Air filter etc. Sportside. How is it .....hmmmmm PERFECT!!! I love her, she the most beautiful thing I've ever owned. I ordered on Oct. 4 so it was a long wait but I really wanted a four door. Hated to do it but with the 12 miles that were on the od I took her up to 78 mph using the cruise 1 mph at a time. This truck is absoulutly SOLID with not even the slightest hint of shimmy or shake or vibration. Only small annoyance I've found is the drivers seatback has about a 1/2", feels like spring loaded, give. It will kinda push forward when I'm stopping. Then lean back when I accelarate. Any one else experience this. BTW the passangers seat is tight. These are the full feature captains. It sure is gonna be hard to keep this puppy in the low to mid 50's for 500 miles or so. You can just feel this baby wanting to roar. Paid $25770 using GMO and then took another $500 of with the loyalty coupon. Built on 1/13/00 delivered on 1/28/00 drove home today. Not positive were it was built as the order sheet said Wentzville and the window sticker said Oshawa, Canada.
This discussion has been closed.