Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tomg11tomg11 Member Posts: 1
    There are so many ways a dealer can game the total price, one should take claims "$ less invoice" with a grain of salt. The trade-in allowance is the most obvious elastic factor.

I just bought a TL-AWD (without Tech). I calculate that I paid $34,650 for the car including the destination fee - less the the value of my trade-in (as estimated from the Edmunds site and not the phoney dealer number) and plus the state's title and licensing charges. I refused to pay the hidden dealer add-in ($99) for their "documentation fee".

Edmunds lists no incentives available - at least in my area (Maryland), which should be the same for New Jersey.

One way to gauge the dealers willingness to bargain is to examine the lease terms. The fine print shows how the "dealer contribution" will be off of the MSRP. Since the lease almost always is based on an above-market interest rate, you should be able to do a bit better than his contribution. My lease calculation put the price at $35,500 and I did end up slightly lower than that.
  • homersdhomersd Member Posts: 2
    You're crazy if you're willing to pay invoice. As of late 2008, the dealer holdback on the FWD TL was averaging ~$1000. I don't know what the current holdback on the cars are now, but I wouldn't let a dealer just keep all $1000. A more realistic invoice price is roughly $33155 for a 3.5 TL with tech and $29,847 for the base 3.5 model ("reported invoice" prices minus the $2000, including destination and before T&T). As a point of reference, ****direct.com has the TL with Tech for a no haggle price of $34,066 for the 3.5 TL with Tech in So Cal.
  • mim8mim8 Member Posts: 14
    I have an 06 TL with Navigation with only 20,700 miles and 100,000 warranty and I am trying to trade it in and cannot get a decent price from Pohanka in Northern Virginia...would like to get $22,000
    any suggestions as to where I can bring it...
  • gcookgcook Member Posts: 33
    got a quote in CA bay area for TL SHAWD-TECH for 37,3xx and free service from that dealer, 5 a1 and 4 b1 services..
  • ChasboyChasboy Member Posts: 186
    Talking about holdback and getting a dealer to dig into it are 2 different things. We just paid $38995 including state tax and all the other nuisance fees. Base price including destination was 35999. The other price I had was a 'mistake' by a dealer I did not buy from. I don't think many people are going to get an Acura dealer to go below invoice.
  • AcuratexanAcuratexan Member Posts: 16
    The price quoted $33076 is after applying the $1000 cash back.
    got a new quote for sh-awd tech for 37,100
  • homersdhomersd Member Posts: 2
    I can't speak for other parts of the country, but getting a TL with tech under invoice is standard here in Southern California. I was quoted $34,700 for an 09 TL with tech with destination and before T&T about a month ago, and this was before the increase in the dealer incentive to $2000.

Looking at one of the "no haggle" car buying sites today, I get a quote of $34,066 for a 09 TL with tech with destination and before T&T. I consider this the maximum price I will pay for the car. If no local dealers are willing to haggle with me, I can always buy from the web site. Note, this is a reputable website that simply contracts with local dealers in my area and if I purchased a car from the web site, it would show up at a nearby dealer. My experience has been that dealers are eager to make some sales and would be willing to go a bit further into their holdback.

You can easily guess the website I'm referring to in my last post and check your own zip code from a sense of the pricing. I'm sure there are regional differences in pricing, but you'd be crazy to pay printed invoice for a car where I live.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    WOW- if that number includes destination, you are buying the car for $2,475 below invoice- obviously that includes the dealer cash of 2K.
    Are you in the Northeast?
  • zorro16zorro16 Member Posts: 31
    gcook,

does the $37100 price includes 2000$ incentive that acura is offering.

where and which dealership you got the quote from??

thanks
    oakland!! and it is th lowest quote I got and it does include the 2k incentive, so they say.. Used Edmunds to get a quote ..
  • nalinirphnalinirph Member Posts: 17
    I paid 35760 with destination + TTL at a dealership in Texas for a TL w tech package. That was with the $1000 dealer cash. They would not give me the $2000 dealer cash. What state did you buy in?
    I bought in Northern NJ. The $2000 is a factory rebate to the dealer that the dealer can use to lower your cost. It comes on all TL's with Tech packages. According to CU, TL-Tech FWD invoice is 36316. They claim you should deduct the $2000 plus the $1161 holdback resulting in a CU bottom line of 33156. Here, no one will negotiate holdback, at least on the AWD. However if you add that back in with the 1000 they are not giving you off, that's 35316. Not sure what you mean about destination----including? If so, your price is ok, but around here that would be 1000 less. :confuse:
  • nalinirphnalinirph Member Posts: 17
    The breakdown was $35000 + $760 destination charge. So $35,760 + TTL. Thanks for the info. Just curious.... :)

Nalini
  • zepnedzepned Member Posts: 7
    Which dealer did you buy it from? I'm getting a final price of
    $36671 for TL w/Tech with all taxes & fees.
    Boy am I confused! If you mean me, I bought from Open Road Acura in Wayne. The sales manager is Curt Lewis, tell him I referred you. If you do an internet quote, the person is Paul Rubin, tell him the same thing. Remember I bought an AWD, no tech.
    :)
  • stripe1stripe1 Member Posts: 72
    $33,816, from Boardwalk Acura just outside Atlantic City. People who are good at bargaining could probably knock off another $500.00+.
  • zepnedzepned Member Posts: 7
    Couldn't bargain anymore. Ended up paying $396/month with $4k down.
    Residual, if I remember correctly is 58% and MF was .00215. Will take
    delivery in 2 weeks. Salesman was nice and courteous and Manager was
    also nice but wouldn't budge an inch from the already good quote.
  • vanbuyervanbuyer Member Posts: 33
    I'm looking for a 2008 TL Base model. If anyone has purchased one? Price?
  • seifseif Member Posts: 48
    I am looking to get into a used TL 2005 to 2007. is there anything in any of these years that people view as better or worse for that year's model? any particular problems? thanks for the help.

also - any examples of prices people have paid or seen would be helpful.
  • imagypcimagypc Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone in Washington state purchased the 2009 TL w/tech since the first
    of the year?? If so, do you know if the $2,000. rebate applies here?
    The $2000 rebate applies everywhere. My reference was the Consumer Reports Auto price website. It applies to ALL Tech equipped models.
  • buddy27buddy27 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had a good buying experience in the Tampa Bay FL area
    on a 2009 TL with Tech?
  • casdmgcasdmg Member Posts: 11
    My car buying service quoted $38,572 for Acura TL 3.7L awd Tech package.

Does this sound like too much?
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    That's a great price, they are actually giving you some of the Manufacturer's cash.
    Invoice price-$39,575
    Cash from Acura to Dealer-$2,000
    Offered Price-$38,572
    So do the math.
  • joeman2joeman2 Member Posts: 3
    Which dealer casdmg?
  • squared1squared1 Member Posts: 6
    I live in the Orlando area and looking to buy TL 3.5 w/Tech.
    Casdmg, according to my sheet from Consumer Reports Car Price Service, $39572 is the dealer invoice for the AWD-Tech. The bottom line price, according to CU should be $36305 which is the result of subtracting the $2000 dealer incentive and $1267 Dealer holdback. Based on those numbers, and excluding any options, you might try to get the dealer down more. :)
  • casdmgcasdmg Member Posts: 11
    I am a member of USAA and they provide a car buying service through Zag. They do not explicitly tell you the dealership until you send your information but they do provide with you with the distance from your zip code.

Based on the distance from my zip code I believe it is Pohanka Acura in Chantilly, VA.
  • rockrockrockrock Member Posts: 6
    I'm currently in the market for a Acura TL SH-AWD w/tech package, and i'm located in Chicago. Just wondering if anyone has purchased a similar TL recently around the area. If so, i would appreciate any feed back as far as what dealer, buying experience, price, interest rate, etc. Thanks.
  • neuro0neuro0 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone bought a TL SH-AWD in the upstate New York area recently? price paid?
  • draz2draz2 Member Posts: 50
    ....I paid $34,480 out the door. Does that sound like a good deal to the rest of you?
    I got wheel locks too (whoo hooo...lol).
  • lax29lax29 Member Posts: 42
    I paid 33,200.00 for my TL TECH
    Holy crap....where did you get that deal and how long ago???
    According to the dealer, 'out the door' is inclusive of all fees taxes and other annoyances. Is that what all of your prices represent? If so, great deals, if not, still great deals.

In addition, you have just bought a great car. My DW is not a 'car person' like some gals are, and when she came back from a drive today she couldn't say enough good things about our AWD. Have fun and enjoy!!
    To me "out the door" means including the destination charges only. You still have to pay your state sales tax and other silliness yourself. But don't forget that this year you get to deduct your state and local sales taxes for a car purchase from your federal taxes (stimulus package). So an 8.25% sales tax on a $35k vehicle will actually save you about $1300 when all is said and done.
    8.25% ? ouch! I thought NJ was bad with 7%.
    I mentioned 'according to the dealer' because I got into a semantic 'discussion' with a few of them, since I was thinking the same as you. They all consider the term to mean final bottom line, since we do pay the sales tax to them.
    Are you sure about your math? :) I get over $2800 in tax at that rate.
    :confuse:
  • tulane11tulane11 Member Posts: 7
    Where did you purchase the tl tech at this price?
    California is going up 1% april 1st which will put us at 9.5 or something...

Also the prices can never include taxes and license. But everything else should be inclusive of the out the door or bottom line price. Lately they have been trying to add Destination and Advertising, which seem like BS fees

destination and ADAG (national advertising) fees

I got a quote for 37,100 on the TL SHAWD at 1 dealer or 37,300 with 4 years maintenance package (oil /tires)... Did anyone get a better quote than 37,100, because the price I wanted was 36,500 for TL tech SHAWD..

I got 4k incentive on my RL but I am not sure TL will get this low. Also 4/1 in CA the sales tax and vehicle license fee go up, so the $600 difference in the price I want to pay and the offer, is going to be wiped out..
    Yes, the actual tax paid is the $2887.50. I was calculating the actual savings (i.e. "in your pocket") based on most of us falling in a combined -- federal, state, local -- tax burden of around 40%.

So the actual savings on a tax of $2887.50 will be about $1155.
    Ok draz, I understand.
    My price before taxes and other nuisance fees was $35999 for the TLSHAWD. This price included destination, wheel locks and splash guards.
    I tried to fight about the doc fees, since they are all over the place. It was explained to me that the doc fees are established by the "dealer group" and that all the dealers owned by a particular group would be the same. I did some checking and that seemed true...somewhat :confuse: .
    It just comes to a point where its time to make a deal and start getting excited about the car. :)
    Is that $35,999 for the SH-AWD with Tech?

If it is, that's an incredible deal. If it isn't it's still a very nice deal.
    draz, that's WITHOUT tech.
    I think the deal was good, especially when DW comes home with a silly grin on her face after driving it somewhere!!! She NEVER has done that for any car! :surprise:
  • kimsdadkimsdad Member Posts: 8
    Im from New Orleans and am ready to buy TL-TECH. Went to the dealer and opened up negotiations with $33,500. (This is $345 over the Consumer Report "Rock Bottom Line Price") I eventually went up to $34316, which is INVOICE less the dealer incentive of $2000. I would allow dealer to keep the $1161 "holdback". I thought this was more than fair based on the great deals i have read about here. Long story short, the sales lady wants $38,200!!! Of course I was out of the door faster than you could say "holy crap!!!" This dealer had about 9 or 10 TL Techs in stock. I did get a call from her about 4 hours later. She left a message saying that she has another offer that she thinks I will like....YEAH RIGHT!......Anyway, i doubt it will be for less than $36K

Bottom line, WOULD ANYONE WHO GOT A GREAT DEAL ON A TL SHARE WITH US THE NAME AND LOCATION OF DEALER? Is it possilbe to put the deal together via phone and fax and perhaps wire or internet the deposit ? . I would be willing to travel to another state not to far away to pick up.

I wonder why some dealers are easy and some or not. I consider myself a good negotiatoer.....hell, i was an insurance adjuster for many years and saved the company millions.....now i cant seem to save myself a few grand. Poetic justice maybe...lol......SOOOOO ANYONE GOT NAMES? Thanks :
    KimsDad, I dealt with 5 dealers over the phone/email before I visited anyone. The variety of offers varied from 3.85% to the 11.83% where I bought the car. One wouldn't budge, another made an offer who "forgot" I told him the offer he was going to match included destination, to which I copied him my email request. His response was "I hope they deliver the car to you at that price." They will do and say anything.
    You did the right thing by walking out. Call the saleswoman back and find out her 'deal you will like'. 'Work' her like she is working you. Did you do the internet offers from the Acura website? That will give you a number of dealers to talk to. I'm in NJ, so I have no direct dealer help. I found 2 within 100 miles of NO, but I'm sure there are more.
    Since you have the CU stats, you have a pretty strong tool. Walking out especially when they know you are serious is a great method. I was prepared for any problems but none of that happened. Keep us posted! ;)
  • tickellertickeller Member Posts: 13
    I contacted dealers within 90 miles of my area for a TL-Tech. Most offered around invoice minus $2000. The lowest was ~$33800 from Lousville KY.
    Hi Kimsdad...
    I dealt with Rallye Acura in Roslyn, Long Island. The deal I got on a TL w/ Tech was $34,480 out the door. That included destination fees. They have been a pleasure to deal with and while I had to do a bit of haggling (I really, really hate that but "when in Rome...") it really wasn't too hard. In fact, the deal had been $1000 more ($35480) but that was before they added another $1000 dealer incentive. So I called my salesman (as I had only given him a credit card deposit of $250) and told him we "needed to talk" about price. He was very accommodating and he immediately rewrote the ticket and took $1000 off the price. I think Valley Stream Acura is also very aggressive re: pricing but I really wanted to deal with Rallye and it wasn't worth the $200-300 I might have been able to save to go there. Rallye is closer to where I live, it has a sterling reputation and I will always be guaranteed a loaner car any time I need one. You can do this all over the phone and on the internet. The only thing is you''ll have to fly up or have someone drive you to pick the car up. Good luck in whatever you do. I'm picking my car up tomorrow morning and I can't wait!
  • vobevobe Member Posts: 2
    TL w/ tech Quote: $34640, plus dest. $760 plus, plus tax 6.25%, plus tt&l. Surely this can be worked down, but how much? What sum of figures are considered "drive out" in this forum. Also tt&l quotes are all over the place implying additional dealer fees. Are taxes charged on these fees?
    I think the general convention is to quote prices that include the price of the car + destination charge and nothing more. Taxes and so forth are generally not included when a poster quotes what price he/she paid. So in those terms, the "price" you were quoted would be $35,400. You should be able to get that down to the mid $34k range.
  • tulane11tulane11 Member Posts: 7
    tickeller.....what was the name of the dealership in Lousville and the salesman's name?