Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mohanpmohanp Member Posts: 26
    Reporting a Base TL With Tech for 33725 + TTL ...
    Was not aware of the Loyalty Program... Damn Damnnn....:
    Can you say Buyers Remorse .....
    edited June 2010
    Rob which dealer was it and which state... I am feeling like an idiot now... having paid 33725 for base with tech....

Is the loyalty program only on leases ? or current owners ?

Thanks
  • divix3divix3 Member Posts: 6
    Here are the numbers for TL SHD with Tech Pack from Devan Acura (The best price so far, less than Greenwich Acura) - $37,209 including $1,500 coupon discount for being loyal customer..whatever ;) . Do you think there is a change to go below $37K? PS. Car is on dealer's lot. Thanks
    Lease or finance...it will work on both scenarios.
  • mjsacklermjsackler Member Posts: 2
    I received the same price from Pohanka Acura. In addition to this price, they are also charging a $399 "Processing Fee". Were you charged this fee? It sound like a bogus fee. If you have taken ownership of the TL, how do you like it?
  • michael422michael422 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a TL w/Tech, 18inch wheels and tint for $35,500. Gave up the 2k+ dealer cash for 0.9% financing. Price would have been just above 33K taking the rebate, but I'm only paying about $750 in interest during the life of the loan after my down payment and TTL. Seems like a pretty decent deal.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    Wow- what a difference a year makes, these same guys were only discounting the car by a 1K off MSRP. For our region-CT (greedy one), I will take that price in a heartbeat.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    There are two dealers here in my region that are on a large scale volume- one falls under the DCH umbrella and the other I cannot quite remember. They can get any color combo thats availble on this car in an instance even if its not in their inventory.

I can live without the split screen.
    I always work with Japanese guy at Devan Acura because the other ones are not so "friendly" as you have mentioned earlier :). I am going to take delivery this Saturday (6/19) instead of waiting to the end of the months :) (the end of current lease) ;) ..thanks one more time
  • goyo1goyo1 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2010
    just got back from the dealer with my new 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD with Tech HTP 19" 6MT. Right from the bat I got the price I wanted $37, 300 + taxes and tags out of the door $39,000 at 0.9% for 60 months. Dealer was Karen Radley Acura in Woodbridge, they treated me well I did everything over the internet talked to the sales person once to give my info by the time I got to the dealer it took me about 1.5 hour to get out. Great experience! :)
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    divix.....$39K isn't a bad price. However, if you haven't already taken delivery, I'd expand the search by looking on line for dealer inventory to....say.....a 150 mile area to see of there are any black/umber cars around. If so, contact the dealership and ask if they'd be willing to give you an internet quote (some will, some won't). If so, you'll have a pretty good idea of where you can buy one, and a quote to get your local dealer to shoot for.

Personally, I'd make the local dealer an offer.....say $38K. Tell them you're a buyer at that price....TODAY. If they reject your offer, tell them you're moving on to whatever other dealerships are in your general area.

Also, be wary of the back end fees. Someone mentioned a "dealer fee" of $399. While it cost the dealer something to do the paperwork, I've seen fees like this as high as $800 added to the back end of the deal. Personally, I would not pay more than $100 for those fees to do paperwork, etc.

I even saw one dealer charge $500 over and above dealer delivery and prep fees (which should already be included on the MSRP sticker). Generally, dealers aren't losing money on these cars. One way or the other, they're making money somewhere on these deals....either on the deal itself, and/or on the back end, on the trade, etc.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • ak528ak528 Member Posts: 3
    Hey, how recently did you purchase this? I'm looking for the 0.9% financing plan, but they don't have it on Acura.com and I'm concerned the dealership don't have it anymore either.
  • goyo1goyo1 Member Posts: 3
    I got it yesterday June 14th 2010, in this area Virginia will finish July 6th. Go to acura.com and enter you zipcode and it will let you know if it's avaliable in your area. Good luck!
  • mjs560mjs560 Member Posts: 14
    I live in NY and have an offer for a TL lease with the following information from a dealer in NJ. I am coming off of a TSX lease and Acura is offering $1,500 on a TL lease or purchase:

36 months
    12,000 miles per year
    Inception fees:
    Bank fee $595.00
    NY tax on bank fee $52.81
    Documentary fee $249.00
    NY DMV fee $195.00
    Out of state reg fee $54.00
    NY tax on $1500 from Acura $133.13
    First payment $332.66

Inception fees down $1,611.60
    From Acura $1,500.00

Monthly payment is $332.66

What is the verdict on this deal?
    edited June 2010
    Has someone got the 1500 additional to the 2250 incentive ?
    I mean for non Acura owners ? they say this is the loyalty program ? can someone confirm this ?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    In the market for a new car? Want an Edmund.com expert to go shopping with you and help you get the best possible price? A national television reporter is looking for consumers in the Washington DC area who would like to participate in a car shopping strategy story. If you are interested, please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by July 9, 2010.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• deerdhdeerdh Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2010
    Just purchased a 2010 TL SH-AWD, 6 speed manual for $39K base price. I'm in the Seattle area. I offered the salesguy 37K and he about crapped his pants. I finally got him down to 39 even. It's a sweet car...but...what do you think?
  • kel2010kel2010 Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2010
    Edmunds says the $1500 loyalty incentive is for people w/ TLs coming off lease. I hope they can allow it for TL owners just buying another TL. I'm planning on buying a new TL Tech w/ 18 inch wheels asap. My 75 year old mother had her Accord totaled by a guy who ran a red light. She promptly took up w/ my wife's 99 TL w/ 110k miles which we bought new. She declared that she wouldn't drive long enough to justify buying a car and my wife needed a new one anyway. Gotta love Mama! What's the best pre Tax price running on a TL Tech w/ the 18 inch wheels? $33-$34K? Any truth to the rumor that Acura will change the grille on the 2011 TL, and when will the 2011's make it to dealerships? We have a spare 97 Del Sol SI that we could drive everyday for a while til the 2011 arrives. I don't really dislike the grille, but would wait on a new look. I'm in Upstate South Carolina, but travel a 400 mile radius regularly for work, so NC, TN, or GA are all feasible.
    Hi, I just bought the same car....are you saying $39 K as a BASE price? I also got them to commit to 39K as a base price, + tax/license/ext warranty, blah blah blah.....where are you located? I am in WA state......I have never purchased a new car before and am very new to the negotiation process....Looking for opinions on if I did OK...? Thanks!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    This is an Acura. You don't need an extended warranty. How much do they want for it anyway?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ChasboyChasboy Member Posts: 186
    I agree. I never got my money back on any extended warranty. CU discourages it, has for years.
    we got the least expensive ext. warranty on the list. It was $2700 or so. With it, however, we get $2500 back if we don't end up using it. It covers years 5-7 of ownership. Any opinions on what we paid as a base price (39K)????????
    deer....you're obviously happy about what you paid since you pulled the trigger. You did fine.

Personally, I don't see any styling changes for any of the Acuras. Acura just updated every model with the new "look". So, unless they do something they've never done before, I'd expect it to stay more or less about the same until, or even if, there are styling changes somewhere around the 2014 MY (5 year model run).

Straight deal on a base TL w/tech, no trade, no outrageous dealer installed options nor fees (i.e. doc fee), $34K should be doable.
  • jaymkjaymk Member Posts: 86
    Hi,
    Acura TL is now 2 years old and there should be some minor changes in the 2011 model coming this year. Anybody knows when the new model comes out?
    Thankyou
  • oscars2212oscars2212 Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2010
    Hey all - just bought a new TL SH-AWD with Tech Package and 6 speed manual transmission in Northern Virginia. One caveat - I qualified for the $1500 loyalty bonus as I was in a current lease (although it wasn't up until March 2010, they still let me qualify).

After factoring in the $2250 marketing rebate, and the $1500 loyalty bonus, I paid just $35,700 for the car, which INCLUDED the freight charge. That is literally thousands less than I thought their bottom line price would be.

They tacked on a $399 processing fee which I didn't bother trying to get out of. Including tax/tags, which I rolled into the monthly payment, I ended up with a total of $37,350 for the top-end TL. Plus, 0.9% financing for 60 months? I'm paying $637 a month, with $0 money down, for a $43k+ MSRP car. Ridiculous.

They made clear to me that it was actually tougher to come down to that price on the 6spd MT than it would have been for a 5sp AT...

I bought mine at Pohanka Acura but I am pretty sure that Radley will have similar prices (I got an email from them that a TL SH-AWD w/ tech could be had for $35,950)
  • ChasboyChasboy Member Posts: 186
    good price. do they charge extra for the manual? I'm out of the buying loop and into the owning one...for a long time!
  • lj2269lj2269 Member Posts: 5
    Congratulations. Can I ask how you got out of your lease? I'm in nj have 5 months left on my tl and looking to buy they told me they would tack the 5 payments back into my price- any advice??? Really appreciate it!!!
    WOW! That's some sweet deal on a fantastic car! Good luck with it!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Well the MSRP for the auto and the manual are the same, however they apparently are less willing to come waaaay down in price on the manual. What the salesman told me (after I bought the car) was that they only ever carry 1-2 manuals at any one time, and the only people that want a manual REALLY want a manual, so they don't have to agree to come down nearly as much in order to get the deal done.

I got lucky and was able to play the two nearby dealerships off one another. Plus it is end of the month and they haven't come close to meeting their quota.
    What the dealer did was appraise the car as if I was "selling" it to them. Then, they added up my remaining lease payments AND the agreed upon "purchase price" that was from my lease agreement. That total was less than what they appraised the car for, so they figured they could buy out my lease from Acura Finance and then sell it for at least what they had to pay out.

Basically, what they did was make the remaining 9 lease payments to Acura Finance, and then bought the car from Acura Finance for the listed buy-out price on the lease. Now they own the car, and can try to sell it for more than they paid.

That same tactic may work for you, depending on the amount of your remaining lease payments and the previously agreed-upon post-lease purchase price in your lease.
    Acuras hold their value so well, that with a few months left on the lease, the car is actually worth more than the buyout plus the remaining payments. The dealer buys the car back from Acura Financial for significantly less than the (retail) buyout on the lease agreement.

My best friend's wife had an '04 TL she leased. They wanted to upgrade to something bigger (Infiniti QX56). With 8 months left on the lease the Infiniti dealer offered them what the remianing payments were + the buyout on the trade sight unseen. They didn't even look at the car until after the QX was delivered. And just in case anyone is wondering, they got a good deal on the lease of the QX56.

I'm sure whenever (or if ever) we decide to get rid of my wife's TSX, I'm confident it will be worth more than what I owe on it.

• jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    Did you pay capitalized cost reduction (aka down payment) when you leased your car? If so, how much?
  • 9under639under63 Member Posts: 1
    Replacing wife's 98 RL she got new? Never was back to dealership except for regular service. Car has been a bullet proof lazy boy on wheels for 12 years and 107K miles. She is feeling her mid life crisis and wants to go a little sportier the time, but needs the no hassle ownership of a car that doesn't break. Most all driving will be short hops in town,with one back and forth trip to Florida each year
    Used 07 TL will be factory certified car. Thanks for any comments.
  • karyakartakaryakarta Member Posts: 17
    edited June 2010
    Hello Everyone,

I am being offered a used 2009 Black Acura TL SH-AWD with TECH package and the regular 18inch wheels for $30,000 plus TTL in a straight all cash deal. The car was previously registered as a manufacturer's car in Marysville, OH and I was told that it was formerly used by Acura USA executives. The car has black exterior and taupe interior and 32,500 miles on it. For your information, this car is not a used Acura certified, so it only carries the remaining balance of the 4 years and 50k miles warranty.

I already visited with the sales manager long and hard and $30k is the lowest he would go. The sales manager tried to convince me that this car is not like any other regular used car since it was well-maintained by the manufacturer itself aka Acura USA and he claimed that the tires and all the fluids have all been replaced. May I ask for your kind input please? Does $30k + TTL sound like a good price for a car with 32,500 miles clocked on it? From recent postings at Edmunds, I have seen that lots of people are being offered roughly $37k + TTL for a brand new 2010 TL SH-AWD with Tech; so does $7,000 sound like a good enough depreciation? What do you guys think or hear about Manufacturer's Vehicles? Should I pull the trigger on monday (6/28)?

Thanks in advance for all your input. :shades:
  • bwittlinbwittlin Member Posts: 2
    $43,195 MSRP
    $37,745 negotiated price before TTL
    Fees - $288 (title, tag, inspection, etc
    Tax (Texas) - $1,921 (after trade in of $7k)

I feel pretty good about all of it - went back and forth but knew I could get it around $37k and wanted it done ;) Thoughts? Should I have held out longer? They claimed (of course) that this was absolutely bare bones
    IMO u did good enjoy the ride
  • ostrich001ostrich001 Member Posts: 13
    IMHO, 32,500 miles is way too high mileage for a 2009 car. I guess that is why the price is so low!

I think it will be truly attractive if they will make it a Pre-owned, Certified car. Otherwise, I am a little bothered by the high mileage.... mind you, the price is really good though! Can you live with the high mileage? How much do you drive per year? Will $7000 burn a big hole in your wallet? Is this really the color that you want?
    The 2009 and 2010 are practically identical, and IMO $7,000 is a fair trade off for the 32,500 miles on the odometer. But, then there is this invaluable "brand new car" sentiment. At the end of the day, the real question is would you rather have $7,000 in your bank or a brand spanking new car in your garage. And that is something only you can answer.
    The 2009 and 2010 are practically identical, and IMO $7,000 is a fair trade off for the 32,500 miles on the odometer. But, then there is this invaluable "brand new car" sentiment. At the end of the day, the real question is would you rather have $7,000 in your bank or a brand spanking new car in your garage. And that is something only you can answer.
    edited June 2010
    jtla....you hit the nail right on the head. 39K+ miles on a one year old car is a bit much. Plus, if it truly was an Acura exec car, I'd want to know if there were any other owners in addition to the exec.

There should be a record of the owner somewhere with the car. I'd check with that person. If all fluids were replaced and service was done by Acura (as you'd expect of an Acura exec car), then the Acura dealer would have a record of that via their service computer. I'd want to see those records.

I'd definitely want to see the service records and the car fax. Also see if the car was originally regustered in Marysville, OH. A CARFAX would tell you all of that.

If all that checks out, $30K would be a heck of a deal for a heck of a car.
  • karyakartakaryakarta Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for all the inputs so far. Yes, I am having the dillemma now and have a hard time deciding. I like the car (including the color) as well as the price, but certainly not with the mileage. I drive approximately 12k miles per year and I typically keep my car for 2 to 3 years, so I am definitely somewhat worried how the resale value would be like in another 2 to 3 years time. I could definitely spend $7k to get brand new car, but given that I don't plan to keep my car for long, it might be better for me to buy used. However, I have not been able to find a used AWD TL with Tech and with reasonable price around Texas.

I have the carfax report with me and the car was formerly titled in Marysville, OH as Manufacturer's Vehicle, which is Honda of America Manufacturing. The condition of the car looks great, but to tell you the truth there is no service history record available on the car by the previous owner. However, one thing for sure is that this car is not a manufacturer's buyback.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Something to consider. Even though it seems like a lot of miles it may not be. A 2009 TL may have been put in service by the exec in fall of 2008 so that's almost two years when you think about it. To put 16k on a year or so it was probably a lot of expressway miles to and from work which are pretty easy miles...not much tranny shifting or brake usage. If you put 36k on it in three years it will have about 70k on a five year old car which wouldn't be considered that high mileage and the resale should still be good. Food for thought.
    NO need to worry about longevity. TLs will last a very long time, and pile up a lot of mileage with little more than routine maintenance.

I would get the vin# of this TL and take it to an Acura service dept at a dealership and ask them to look up the service history. Acura's really good about having records of the services done to their cars while at the dealership service depts. I can't imagine an Acura exec not having service done anywhere but a dealership.

I would want to know that. If you can get that service history and have a clean CARFAX (no wrecks or major service problems), that's one helluva price. Plus, these are bulletproof cars.

Acura was just listed as one of the top 3 cars as far as quality (behind Porsche and Mercedes).
    edited June 2010
    Now that you mentioned your driving/ownership pattern, I think buying a brand new car may actually make sense.

As you have found out, new TL SH-AWD with Tech can be had for around $37k to $37.5k. It may go another $1k or so lower in July or August as the 2011's start to arrive showrooms. Since you will be getting $6k to $7k off sticker to begin with, your 3-year, 36k miles depreciation on the new car may be about the same as, or even lower than, if you would by the 2009 with 32.5k miles already. Using Edmunds' projected depreciation figures, the 3-yr depreciation on a new 2010 would be $7,738 (assuming a $36.5k purchase price) and for the 2009 it would be $7,770 -- virtually identical.

The pro for getting a new 2010 is, of course, the brand new car smell and feel, plus you will be covered by factory warranty throughout your ownership. The con would be more up front cost ($7,000 plus tax, which you should get most back when selling it 3 years later) and a bit higher carrying cost (interest, tag, license, insurance, etc.).

Again, decision is yours, but a new car seem tempting to me. :blush:
  • dg4dg4 Member Posts: 19
    In my opinion it is a very steep price. You have practically only one year left on this vehicle's warranty. You are getting a discount of $0.21 per mile. You should expect at least $0.40 depreciation per mile. In my opinion cost of this car should not be more than $26000.

You ay be able to get a BMW in same $30K price range.
    Just curious, how did you come up with that .40/mile number? Even though the BMW is smaller, even a left over 328i, stripped (i.e. not even xDrive) will cost more than $30K, and be next to impossible to find.

While it's rare, I have seen some used '09 TL SH AWDs w/tech on the lots. OF course, fewer miles, but they're asking just under retail for them (around $39K). They're also certified. But, you figure a little dickering, and they probably would end up with a negotiated price of just under what new would cost.

Acuras hold their value very well.

$30K for one, even one with that many miles on it, looks like a great deal to me.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    You ay be able to get a BMW in same $30K price range

That only makes any sense if one wants a BMW at all. Rear wheel drive, cramped and high cost of maint aren't appealing to a lot of people.
    No, I didn't make any sort of cap cost reduction payment at the start of the lease. I think I even rolled in the cost of taxes/tags into the monthly payment.
    Wow, that's one heck of a deal you got. Congratulations and enjoy the ride!
    "That only makes any sense if one wants a BMW at all. Rear wheel drive, cramped and high cost of maint aren't appealing to a lot of people. "

INDEED :)