Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Truecar, hmm, let's see, that's the FREE website? Well. . .not exactly. Truecar is funded by dealers. Truecar may or may not represent the "true" price you will pay for a car. It does not foster any competition between dealers, does not give any particular advantage to YOU and overall is simply OK as a data point. Perhaps an accurate data point, perhaps not.

CarWoo, on the other hand gets its revenue from the site's users -- to use CarWoo, you must pay them -- one time, but pay you must.

CarWoo allows you to pit multiple dealers against each other and allows you in complete anonimyty to negotiate, and when you are ready you can reveal who you are.

I was, in September of this year, looking for a new car to replace my 2009 Audi A4, as my lease was ending. I signed onto CarWoo and decided 150 miles was my limit on how far I would go to pick up a new car.

I signed up on CarWoo and picked dealers of Acura, Audi, Infiniti and Volvo cars in my geography (you can pick as many dealers as you want) and told them what I was looking for and the TERMS (but not the price) I was looking for.

Ultimately, to make a long story short, I accepted a deal for 13% off MSRP on a new Acura TL SH-AWD Advance + backup sensors. I received offers from about 8 dealers that I considered (for different brands) seriously. Apparently Volvo, no matter what, will only come down about $1,500 off sticker -- wow. Infiniti was also quite willing to discount on a new M37X, but in the end, the absolute best deal was on the Acura.

My first choice was for an Audi -- but for some reason, they too were not very willing to come off MSRP. Just for grins, I then signed up for ONE MORE CAR with CarWoo.com and ask for bids on a new Ford Taurus SHO with all the option boxes (or most of them anyway) checked. Talk about a feeding frenzy -- too bad I was not interested, THAT MUCH, in a Ford, because these guys, every one of them I asked for bids from, started their off MSRP dances at 10% and went from there.

Truecar is, unfortunately, not as much on your side as you would probably like. I wouldn't use them other than for some initial data gathering -- they're paid for, but, alas, NOT by YOU! :surprise:

Drive it like you live.
  • dougsilverdougsilver Member Posts: 62
    My wife and I had settled on getting a new TL to replace our 2000 (other cars being considered were Genesis, Lexus ES, Honda Crosstour). We much preferred the drive of the TL versus the Genesis and Lexus and the Crosstour was really something we did not need at this point of our lives).

The only problem was that we fell in love with the Mayan Bronze with Parchment interior. We knew we only wanted the FWD (really no need for the SH-AWD for the amount and type of driving we do in the Los Angeles area) but we wanted the Tech package. The color was not one that was produced in high numbers to begin with and it has been discontinued. So it turned out that there was exactly ONE car like this in all of California and the next closest was in Tempe, Arizona.

We negotiated a reasonable price directly with the dealer in California that had the car and I have to give them a 2-thumbs up in terms of how they worked with us. The dealer was Hansel Acura in Santa Rosa and it was the most pleasant car-buying experience my wife and I ever had. We talked about buying the car and shipping it to southern California (and extra $500) but Hansel offered to pay for our airfare if we flew up to get the car. So we did so--they picked us up from the airport and mentioned that this type of long-distance buying happens quite a lot.

The price (minus taxes, etc.) ended up about $37,100 which included splash guards, wheel locks, color door edge guards, cargo net, body side molding.

Doug
  • stevewilson1stevewilson1 Member Posts: 21
    What you say makes sense but my experience was different. This last week, in the LA area, I used both carwoo and truecar and I received a significantly better deal from truecar. I used the truecar number as a starting point for negotiations and was able to save an additional few hundred dollars. Part of this may have been driven by the fact that I bought a 2011 that dealer wanted to sell to make room for 2012's.

What was interesting was that the dealership who made the deal, was one of the dealerships who quoted about $1k more on the carwoo site.

This doesn't mean that in general carwoo isn't better. I simply do not know. But I can testify that in my case, truecar was the way to go.
    My experience has been that all of the internet whiz-bang stuff has made it easier for buyers to home in on good pricing but, still, there is nothing like direct contact with the dealer--via email, phone, and in person.

Doug
    I hate to see that you "settled" on a TL. :cry:
    Okay "settled" was the wrong word. I meant it in the same context as "decided on"--there are you happy now?

Doug
    Whew, yes! :)
  • newguy_acuranewguy_acura Member Posts: 3
    This is my first message and I would appreciate any inputs from members since I am into the car buying market once again after my car got totaled last month in an oil spill (on road) related accident.

I am in NJ and I am researching for a used TL (base)...most of the '08 models are available at dealers around $22000 - $23000 (with approximately 30000-35000 miles on them)...and most '09 models are available around $27000 - $28000 (with around 25000 - 35000 miles on them)...

How much could I negotiate based on above prices? I would prefer an '09 model but they are still expensive despite being almost 3 years old...

Any inputs are greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone have experiences with "Paragon Acura" (NY)? They seem to have the best prices but have a lot of negative reviews around hidden fees etc.

Also, any good Acura dealers in North NJ that anyone's aware of? I am already scared about this entire car buying process ;o)
  • rekcalsarekcalsa Member Posts: 10
    I bought my '08 TL-S new at DCH Montclair Acura. They weren't bad to deal with at all. I did nearly everything either via email or phone so I'm not sure how they'd be in person, nor do I know if they have separate salesmen/women for the used cars.
  • XxHaimBonxXXxHaimBonxX Member Posts: 135
    If you are looking in North NJ, might as well try DCH Heart Acura in NY. Don't worry about DMV, they'll get it done with minimal worries for you. Their staff is awesome, one of the best Acura dealership around. Good luck!
  • redsfan56redsfan56 Member Posts: 2
    First of all,,,,,not near the traffic that I saw on this forum when I bought my first TL in 06 but,,,,wondering if anyone could give me feedback into what I could expect to pay for a basic 2012 in the midwest?
  • jbaldwin7jbaldwin7 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    Hi everyone,

I just purchased a new 2012 TL with technology package, white exterior black interior. I purchased the car in the evening, and took the car last last night after doing all the paperwork. Today, I've noticed a color variance between the chasis (metal) and the front and back bumper, rear spoiler, and the piece underneat the doors. I am very upset and don't know what to do. I've called the dealer today (it's Sunday) and they say I can't return the car for a different color but say I should bring it in first thing tomorrow for them to look at. They repeatedly say that detecting a color variance is normal since the chasis is metal and the bumpers, etc. are plastic, but given that I've spent so much on the car I expect more (the color difference is clearly noticeable).

Can anybody give me advice on what I should do tomorrow when I go to the dealer? So far the dealership has been pleasant to work with and they claim to have high dediction to amazing customer service. What should I ask for/demand to solve my issue?

Any feedback is much appreciated, thank you!
  • benjb53benjb53 Member Posts: 14
    After having two Tls, 2009 being the latest and both in white, their is nothing you can do about the color variance. Also my previous TL was hit in the back and after getting it repaired the color difference was even greater. That is the biggest negative in white, but still my favorite car color.
    Enjoy the car! :shades:
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    but given that I've spent so much on the car I expect more (the color difference is clearly noticeable).

If it is "clearly noticeable" why didn't you say something before you bought it? There is always going to be a difference in look when you have plastic and metal next to each other even though they are painted the same color. Some manufacturers do a little better job than others but it always there.
    edited November 2011
    I live in Cincinnati and bought in Columbus (about 100 minutes between the two cities.)

I went with a 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance + back up sensors.

I got 13% off MSRP +$715 additional for the sensors -- which they said was "cost."

Best I could do in Cincinnati was about 7% off MSRP.

I assume the discounts on a fully loaded car can be greater since there is more margin in the first place for the dealer to work with.

I did everything over the Internet, up until I had to sign on the dotted line.

I don't know if this helps, but that's my experience.

The car is delightful, and compares well with an Audi A4 Prestige w/sport (and the price compares well too) except for the crappy tires.
    One thing color variance on a brand new car and the other on a repaired one. Body shops (honest ones at least) are straight forward that there is no guarantee on the color match. The only color successfully matched is black. I have a white TSX and there is no color variance of any kind. I suggest taking a look at another white TL and comparing the colors. It seems to me that the car was in an accident or there was a significant ding or a scratch, and the dealership tried to cover it up. Also, the answer they gave sounds like a BS one, that metal and plastic will end up with different color. It has a base coat underneath, and the white should look exactly the same.

How about some pics?
  • djltldjltl Member Posts: 1
    WARNING!! - I own a 5 year old Acura TL and would NEVER BUY Acura again.

All of the 04-06 TLs have huge cracks down the middle of the dashboard in the exact same spot. It's so bad there is a Facebook Group just for the issue and local news stories. It is a safety issue since the cracks all go right over the passenger airbag. Yet, Acura refuses to fix the problem. They have offered to fix it for the "discounted" price of ONLY $1,050!

Acura does not care about their customers or stand by their product.

Facebook Group: www.facebook.com/AcuraTLDefectiveDash
  • newguy_acuranewguy_acura Member Posts: 3
    rekcalsa and XxHaimBonxX, thanks for your inputs and time. I am currently looking at a 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD (Automatic) + Tech package that has 14000 miles on it. The dealer is asking 33000 and I quoted 28100. The dealer is saying that 28100 is too low and he may probably agree around the 30000 range. The dealer has still not quoted the price.

The TMV for such a vehicle in "clean" condition is 31375, which I find to be high, considering that I have seen messages from people buying new cars (same model) around the 37000-38000 range...doesn't this model depreciate close to $12000 in two years?

I am in North NJ and would appreciate any inputs from members with recent car buying experiences.

Thanks.
  • smitty1krrsmitty1krr Member Posts: 19
    There is and extra $500 "Flex Cash" and 0.9% for 60 right now for the holiday.
    Not sure when it expires. We bought 11-27.
    edited November 2011
    Edmunds quotes this car at $32,500 for certified pre-owned. If you get it for a round $30K, I'd say you did good. Other than that crazy grill, it's an awesome car. This car new costs $40K invoice.

BTW, I'm not sure if you plan on financing it or not. If you are, I don't think there are very low finance options, like the ones for new cars, see the post above. Perhaps buying it new with such a low APR would be not much difference in the end.
  • redsfan56redsfan56 Member Posts: 2
    Thought I would ask one more time about pricing on a base TL. Looking for a 2012 base model in either the Southern Louisiana area or the tri state area of Southern Ohio, Sothern Indiana, and Northern Kentucky as spend considerable time at both locations....Any help or insight would be appreciated.
  • asianpearl_21asianpearl_21 Member Posts: 4
    Hi - can someone tell me what is the fair price to pay in the Midwest for a new 2012 Acura TL w/ Tech package? The dealership is asking for $40,220. I just know it should be lower but not sure how much lower. Thanks
  • beemerrider1beemerrider1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I just bought a 2012 TL Tech Package (non SH-AWD) yesterday at a dealership here in Florida. MSRP was the same as the car you are looking at. They added a few "dealer extras" on and tried to call it a $44,000 car, but we all know that is a bunch of rubbish. ;D

Anyway, we ended up purchasing the car for a little over $32K with discounts and such. We also traded in a 2010 TL that we bought at the end of last year from the same dealership if that matters. I love the new one, such an improvement over the 09-11 as far as looks go.
    Wow, how did you do that? From $44k to $32k+. Amazing.

I finally gave in & bought one. Was going to buy a 2012 TL w/Tech for $38,600 but the car wasn't up to my standard (41 miles, some very small paint chips & something weird with the back bumper). Ended up buying a 2012 TL Advance with only 9 miles, in perfect condition for $40,660 (prices do not include tax & fees). They also threw in $900+ of extras. Also get lifetime free car washes (@ dealership or my house or office), free lifetime road side assistant, free lifetime airport drop off & pickup anytime). no trade in.

Now I wonder if we got a good deal.
    edited December 2011
    Those who buy a car and then spend time afterwards wondering whether or not they got a good deal are wasting their time. Upon making any deal, presumably both parties are happy at the time and that is what counts. Sure if you wait more maybe the price goes down but at the instant you and the dealer came to some agreement, you were both satisfied so just drive and enjoy and don't look back.

Doug
    I was just wondering. Not like I sit here & regret buying it. Just a thought, not like no one has ever done that before. Same thing when I bought my Corvette.
  • beemerrider1beemerrider1 Member Posts: 2
    I had to play the hard line with the dealer a bit, but I enjoy negotiation. This one was fun because I didn't really need a new car. I already had a newer TL, so I was just there for the fun of it. It makes it easier when you don't care if they accept your offer or not; and are perfectly willing to walk out the door.

It wasn't really 44K, they just put that on the sticker to make some folks feel good about their "deal". The actual MSRP was 40K and some change. The extra 4K was just the stupid dealer stuff they add (pin stripes, rubber mats, "permanent tire shine" and so on).

The price came out to around 35K. Then they threw in 1200 "dealer cash incentive" and an extra thousand (or so) added to the value of the trade in which took it somewhere into the 32K range.
    I wish I was better at negotiating. I suck at it. LOL I actually was there to buy a new Lexus ISC 350. They didn't have one so I wanted to order one. Not sure why but the manger told me to go next door to check out the Mercedes SLK. I told him no, I didn't want the SLK. He kept pushing so I left. Went next door & bought the TL. I love Acura. Have always had Acura but wanted to give Lexus a try...well it didn't work. :D

Congrats on your new car & a great deal. I love mine. It has so much technology, I'm not sure if I'll ever get to try them all.
  • tuxcattuxcat Member Posts: 11
    paying back to the forum.

I just bought (put a deposit down) a 2012 CBP/Taupe Base TL+Tech for $37,674 OTD price. I am in DC/MD area.

I used carwoo and emailed various dealers directly to get quotes.
    Actually I got a better deal with the same dealer after further negotiation and the car will be about $37,000 OTD.
    By OTD price do you mean that included all applicable taxes and registration fees? Here in southern Kalifornia those added up to another $3,000+ over the basic negotiated price with the dealer.

Doug
  • mihinkmihink Member Posts: 39
    I was looking for the same car. I live in MD. Could you please tell us the name of the dealership. Congrats on the new car! :)
    edited December 2011
    Are you using carwoo? Right now they have a free sign up if you are only looking for one car.

The Gaithersburg dealer is offering it for $34,275 + PF, Tax, Title, etc. You have to finance it with Acura though (should you qualify.) They have a $1,000 flex cash thing going and I assume that $1,250 dealer incentive as well. It is cheaper than most what other dealers are quoting over the phone, etc.

If you are looking for one go sign up for carwoo and let the fun begin. It seems like all the internet sale managers returned to work yesterday and my offer list just queue up suddenly while it was kind of low last week when I started looking. You do get get all kinds of offer with a wide range of prices. However, I usually pick a dealer that started with the best "good faith" offer and go from there.
    yes, all taxes, etc are included. So it is the Out the Door price.
    That price is really quite extraordinary. When I started looking in September and into October, the very best quote I was able to get for a 2012 TL Tech in California was about $37,000 plus taxes, license, registration. I had not heard of carwoo at that time but was essentially working directly with dealers. Two things though. The obvious is that it is year-end and deals may just be better now but, more importantly, I wanted a specific rare color (Mayan Bronze) and there were only a couple of these in the entire state.

Doug
    I agree, being in the last week of the year really add a lot of purchasing power to the buyer. That is as you said if you are open to the available stock on the lot. If there is a special request then thins might not skew to your side. Luckily, we are not too picky about color.
    I have to say that most of the second and third glances and compliments that my wife and I get about the car are almost entirely due to the color--basically the first thing strangers and friends say is "great color". It is so striking and also very rare versus the myriad of cars you see around in grey, black, white, silver. Similarly our previous 2000 TL received many looks and compliments mainly due to the Monterey Blue Metallic that was also pretty rare.

Doug
    It was $34,445 (I added some accessories) before, plus processing fee, plus TTL.

Well, it was $35,445 befor PF and TTL, but then there is $1,000 that Honda gives Acura Financial Service as incentive for financing. So the effective selling price is around $34,445.
    I expect to see you over at AcuraZine along with some pics ;)
  • oskeewowoskeewow Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2010 Certified TL on Thursday for $27,750 in Naperville, IL with 11k miles on it. Previously had a 2003 Accord that I got 160,000 miles off of. So far love most everything about the car.
    It is there already. I am tuxacura there.
  • gani1gani1 Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2012
    Hello,

I bought a brand new TL with AWD and Tech Package. I paid 40K $ as the OutTheDoor price for that. This also includes Wooden trimmed steering and wooden gear knob(together like 700 i guess). I got him down to 39500$ and then added accessories and made a round figure offer including destination fees, taxes, procesing fees, tags, title etc for 40K $. I don't know if its a better deal or not.

And then, I got an extended warranty for 8yr/100K (platinum coverage from Resource Automotive, dealer offered) for 1303$(initially he told 1500$ and then i negotiated to 1303$).

I also got Resistall protection for 500$ (7yrs, lifetime renewable),
    and Dent and scartch protection for 509$(5yrs),
    and Complete Tinting for 280$(35%),
    and All season floor mats for 120$.

So the total gets around 43K $.

Financing: o$ down payment, 0.9% for 60months.

Did any one get the resistall or dent protection package or extended warranty? if so, please reply with how much u have paid for those option?

Thank you !!!
    I think you got a pretty good deal on the car. May I ask why you chose the third party extended warranty over the one from Acura?

I am thinking about extended warranty as well since I plan to drive the car a lot. But the only one I will consider is the genuine Acura one. I have gotten quote for $1,295 from online dealers for a 7 yr/120K one. The 8 yr/100K one costs about $1,265 as well.
    Thank you!

Even i thought of getting the Acura Care only. The dealer quoted it for around 1465$ for 8yr/100K. That's the price I saw online on curry acura also.

But he suggested me to take the Resource automotive one because, I can make use of that warranty at any XXX( i dont exactly remember) dealers, just not Acura. He said that this is the number one warranty company. I can still return this warranty and get a full refund with in 60 days. I will do some research and then I may cancel it.

By the way, may I ask which model you are getting and the price ?

Also, any comments and price quotes about the ResistAll and Dent Protection thing?. Did your dealer offer them to you? If so, can you please tell me how much did he quote it for?. I feel like I got ripped off for these protection packages.

Thanks in advance :)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I'm glad you said you can return the warranty, because you should. Even the Acura Care warranty isn't necessary. Your TL is a HONDA underneath everything. You bought the car from Curry? You live in Westchester then? If you do, then bring your car for service at Acura of Westchester in Larchmont.

They sold you on a 3rd part warranty company because there is a higher markup for them than selling you the Acura Care warranty.

What is resistall? Besides excess dealer profit?

Look at what the dent & scratch protection covers. Just the door panels or just the sides of the car?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I bought the car in Chantily, Virginia (pohanka Acura). And yes, I am planning to return the third party warranty and may be I will get the Acura CAre.

Resistall is for protection of interior and exterior. any spills interior and any tears etc. they put a paint sealant on the exterior and covers and paint loss or gloss. its basically for life time.

dent protection is for entire car excluding bumpers(plastic), tires and rims. they repair/repaint and remove any dents etc up to 6inches on your car for 5yrs. no charge.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I think the resistall is worthless, but the $500 dent protection if it includes scuffed wheels & bumper damage should be OK.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited January 2012
    I bought a base CBP/Taupe TL/tech for $34,445 before PF and TTL (about $36,950 OTD.) I have splash guard and wheel locks.

My dealer tried to sell me a third party extended warranty (Zurich) and even that is not as cheap as the quote I am getting from online sources.

curry acura is not the best price, try giving Bob Leab at Hyannis Honda a call.

FWIW, with Acura Care you can still have third party shops work on your car in case of emergency, but you need to file a claim for the repairs and you of course should call the road side assistance before the repairs.
  • swartelswartel Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2012
    Hi gani1,

Can you specify the out-the-door price minus taxes?

Much thanks.
    edited January 2012
    Its approximately 37880$ including Destination fee of 880$.

It does not include processing fee, tags, title, taxes.