Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-150 SUPERCREW

Comments

• gerrys2gerrys2 Member Posts: 4
    I have reached over to adjust the heater and havw grabbed the 4x4 switch by mistake.I can't even see the 4x4 switch because the shift handle is obstructing my view. Ford needs to do something about this.That is the only negative thing I can say about my truck.
  • tkenny53tkenny53 Member Posts: 41
    move your seat back, it sounds like to way to close the steering wheel. If you have short legs then you in a fix. I'm 6 feet and i'm one notch forward of all the way back and have never got close to the switch.
  • kilgorekilgore Member Posts: 2
    I have had trucks for years but always 2WD regular differential because I lived in a climate with no ice nor snow. Now I live in the mountains of North Carolina and am shopping for a 4WD Super Crew. I am retired so I will seldom use the 4WD because I do not need to be at work everyday.The salesmen all recommend the limited slip differential. I think it is unnecessary. I will be in 4WD if I am ever out in questionable conditions of rain, ice or snow.

My question: Do I need limited slip differential?

If I need limited slip, is the 355 the best? The truck will be used as a passenger vehicle -no towing, no heavy hauling.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    kilgore,

i live in the wonderful northern climes where snow can be a real pain. and i always opt for the limited slip axle if it's available. even with 4wd, you still can occasionally end up stuck with two wheels spinning - one front and one rear. at least with a posi rear end you'll get traction from 3 tires. i've found the limited slip so useful on my s-crew that i've rarely had to put the truck into 4wd this winter, or last winter when we had alot of snow. but, i do carry 350 pounds of sandbags in the box during the winter for added traction. plus, the ls only costs a little under 300 bucks. on a 30k plus truck what's 300 smackers?!

by the way, if you do go with an s-crew and 4wd, the only way to go enginewise is the 5.4l. it simply honks all over the 4.6l, especially in the 4wd trucks which are pretty portly.

lastly, the s-crew only comes with a 3.55 rear end, non slip or open diff...
  • supercrusupercru Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2001 Supercrew 2WD with the Limited Slip 3.55 Diff. It is equipted with General Grabber AW tires in 255-70/R16. I have lived in snow country all of my life and have had at least 6 different 2WD pick-ups. This one however, is a nightmare on snow! I have 300 pounds in the box for traction, plus a fiber glass box cover. On the slightest up-hill grade (and I mean slight 1 or 2 percent) in a fresh inch or 2 of snow, I have to leave a huge distance from the car ahead as I have to let the truck continue to slowly roll to get traction to leave the stop light! In a parking lot, great care must be taken unless the surface is perfectly flat as the truck wants to slew to side when pulling out of a parking place. Also, on the highway with any type of crown, again in an inch or two of snow, this truck "crabs" down the road with the rear end constantly sliding to the right and I drive in a constant "skid" holding the wheel to the right. Last week I went on a 900 mile trip here in the midwest and I traded vehicles with my wife to use her '93 rear wheel drive (2WD) Aerostar, as it handles the winter driving so much better. Don't get me wrong, I love everything else about my Supercrew, size, room, 19+ MPG on the highway, etc. Any suggestions for winter? Should I switch the rear axle for an open diff? Different tires? (In the past I have had good luck with BF Goodrich T/A's.) But I am reluctant to invest in tires if the limited-slip is the real cause. Ideas?? Thanks in advance for any help.
    must be the tires, my goodyear cladded s-crew gets around just fine...no crabbing unless you put your foot in...
  • whalercatwhalercat Member Posts: 40
    Suggestion: trade it in for 4WD if you live where it snows.
    Actually, I have owned a couple of 4x4's over the years. One of which had Dana 60 axles, granny gear 4spd, big V8, 33" tires, etc, etc. (Back when I was a kid with extra dough$$) The other was more of a "creature comfort" set-up. They were fun, but the more I drove them, (and hopefully matured) the more I realized that unless you were "playing" off-road or trying to beat the snowplows, 4WD is not a requirement to drive in the snow. A well equipted 2WD has always been up to the task for me. I had a 90 mile daily commute thru rural Minnesota for years and always made it with my 2WD pick-ups and vans. (Fords and Chevs) in ALL types of weather. Thanks for the suggestion, but I would rather iron out the tire/locking diff question and get back to enjoying winter treks.
  • swampcollieswampcollie Member Posts: 87
    that a 2WD pick up was just about the worst vehicle there is in mud and snow.. not sure what your applications are, but a front wheel drive van does very well in the snow..
    I always buy 4WD in trucks and feel like you get a lot of that investment back at trade/sell time..
    however, I am impressed with your gas mileage..
    I have a 4x4 with limited slip and have never experienced the problems you are talking about.. I never need to go to 4x4 on a highway..
    my tires are wranglers..
    Well, it sounds like more snow coming this weekend, so I took the truck in to Tires Plus to have the tires siped, (See post #1058) (Seemed to help today in a fresh inch of snow!) The weird thing is, I had to go to 5 stores before I found one with a working siping machine!
  • swampcollieswampcollie Member Posts: 87
    what is siped???..
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Siping is when they cut hundreds of fine grooves in the tread blocks. AT tires with big blocky tread can be slippery on wet city streets, snow, etc. Aggressive tread gives you bite on rocks, and mud but can't channel away water that well when you're on smooth roads. Siping allows water to seep out to the sides of tread into main tire channels. The resulting small tread flaps also grip better because snow doesn't build up in them. Also makes tire somewhat more flexible, and results in lower heat build up.
    Well, so far so good. We had a sleet/snow/freezing rain mix last night and I drove in it this morning with MUCH improved traction. Even lateral stability was improved!
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    improved now that you've been "siped". That's one downside to LS, the way it pulls you sideways once it does start to spin. Just one more thing to remember when we're driving.
  • lukymelukyme Member Posts: 46
    Hello all. Thanks for all the interesting info. on this truck. While I've noticed several have left their Chevy's for the F150 Screw, I did not notice anyone looking to do what I am contemplating. That would be turning in my leased 2000 Toyota Tundra Limited, and purchasing a 2002 F150 Screw Lariat. I'm a little nervous about this, as I am a stickler for trouble free driving, and the Toyota's I have owned ( ie: Camry, Avalon, 4-Runner, MR2 Spyder) have been fantastic. My wife drives a Sequoia now, and the company I own has several Toyota's in our fleet.
    I really like the style of the Screw, the added rear seat space, and doors.
    I don't tow often, but like the freedom to do so.
    Would any of you owners of Screw with leather let me know how the leather is looking after a you have had it awhile. I'm looking to get a Screw Lariat, Black/Tan 2 tone with Parchment Leather, FX4, 5.4, Captains chairs, 3.55, limited slip, Tow package, CD, bedliner, extender, black tube step. What a beautiful truck. Looks nicer than the Tundra's but a little concerned about the problems mentioned in all these discussions. The last Ford I bought was a 92 Explorer, which had several problems that drove me crazy.
    Love the Screw, just want your valued opinions.
    Thanks.
    lukyme,

my king ranch screw has been great. no problems whatsoever. you mention the fx4 package. you should test drive both regular suspension and fx4 equipped trucks. from what i've been hearing, the fx4 is a kidney bruiser...
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    Don't believe everything you hear, the ride with the off road package rides great on or off the road. I just turned my 02 Screw over the 8000mi mark, only thing I have had it back to the dealer for is to redo my pin stripe that had bubbles in from the factory. Only thing I would of done differant was to get AT's instead of the Goodyear R/S tires.
  • truckdudetruckdude Member Posts: 55
    I just bought an 02 FX4 Screw and I think the ride is terrific. It is much smoother than my 99 Scab ORP but also doesn't have the body lean when taking corners. Definitely drive one before you take someone's word on it...
    Appriciate the input. I'm going to go back and drive a Screw w/ FX4 & w/o FX4. My Tundra has the TRD Off Road hardware and it rides good. I believe the Ford FX4 is basically the same type upgrade (17" Aluminum wheels, Owl Tires, Rancho shocks, 3.55 Axle, & skid plates)
    I'll let you know how they compare back to back.
  • jcave1jcave1 Member Posts: 137
    The "Off Road" package gets you a skid plate, steering damper, and decal. Suspension remains the same.
  • truckdudetruckdude Member Posts: 55
    For 2002, the FX4 Off Road package comes with Rancho shocks, so the suspension is different. They are cheaper Ranchos (RS5000 maybe) and they do ride stiffer than the standard suspension.
  • jcave1jcave1 Member Posts: 137
    Sorry to be so lame, I was thinking springs. Those Ranchos should make a difference. Wonder how much?
    lukyme,

be sure to drive on a bumpy road for comparison sake...
    Well, I went back to a rather large dealer, that has a lot full of F150's. Unfortunately, every 4x4 is equipped with the FX4 package. The crew cab with FX4 road a little stiff, but I did not mind that, as long as it's not "jittery". I want the truck with all the goodies, but not the Lariat leather. Only other way to get the truck with all the goodies (and not the parchment leather) is to go to the King Ranch. At first I did not like the looks of the leather but it has begun to grow on me. Still trying to decide.
  • xman1035xman1035 Member Posts: 52
    I agree that the F150 Crew Cab pickup is a great looking truck. I test drove the pickup and it is very roomy and comfortable. The reason I decided against it was primarily the safety issue.

The safety of the F150 was rated poor(worse rating) by the IIHS and the Tundra was rated good(best rating). See the results of the F150 crash test and ask yourself if you want to be in that if you were in an accident. http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0110.htm

Don't compromise your safety and that of your family!

• mkcmkc Member Posts: 20
    Xman,

The IIHS reports are for the extended cab trucks. The extended cab in the newer F150's is very different that the 4-door cab of the S-Crew - in the S-crew, there's a vertical structure between front and rear doors that is not present in the extended cab design because of the way the rear doors open.

NHTSA results for the F150 placed it among the highest for direct frontal and side impact crashes. The different cab design of the S-Crew should result in better offset results for IIHS than found for the extended cab.

They should have the crew cab reports eventually.

MKC
  • califjohncalifjohn Member Posts: 101
    from the factory! I am not thrilled about all the Harley Davidson badging but can live with it for the overall look of the truck! Have noticed some concerns mentioned in this and other sites about the of the 5.4 engine leaking oil. Does anyone know if this machining problem has been fixed or is it still a work in progress. This will be my first ford since a 1953 hardtop convertable bought new. The last of the flatheads! I would love to have it now.
    well, my sister's 99 expedition with 5.4l developed an oil leak. it was caused by failue of the head gasket. ford put a new engine in her truck. same thing happened to my cousin's 00 expi...however, his didn't need a new engine.

so far my 02 is running fine. hopefully they have fixed the headgasket issue!
  • califjohncalifjohn Member Posts: 101
    for passing that info on. I also found a related item in today's Blue Oval News site (essentially the same as yours) so it looks like this 5.4 oil leak/seepage fix is indeed a work in progress. I think I will sit on the sidelines for a bit until they get it worked out. The 2003 screws are supposed to be awesome anyway. Thanks again!
  • mikeb64mikeb64 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to get some input on rust proofing. I live in the northeast were there is alot of road salt and sand on the roads in the winter. Some people tell me that rust proofing is a waste of money because the manufacturer rust proofs all the components before assembling the truck. I want my new truck, when I get it, to stay looking new for as long as possible. To me rust proofing it for a couple hundred dollars is a wise investment considering I'm trying to protect my $30K investment. I'd like to hear your opinions on this topic. Many thanks to all.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    It adds weight, and one little crack in it and it traps the salt and moisture. The worst thing you can do is put your salty vehicle in a heated garage. When it's got salt on it let it stay frozen. When it warms up spray it off. I had it on one vehicle and didn't see where it held up any better. 'course this was back in the '70s, maybe the stuff is better now.
  • dbossmandbossman Member Posts: 28
    Anybody with extensive towing experience with the SuperCrew? I tow a vintage mustang around on an open trailer 3 or 4 times per year.

Thanks
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The new Ford Truck Owners club is now available on Edmunds.com Owners Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Pickups.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
    hey guys,

need someone with an '02 s-crew to do me a favor. i was just looking at my maintenance schedule book which came with my owner's manual. in the normal maintenance schedule it never mentions having to change the tranny fluid in the 4r70w tranny (which is the tranny all s-crews have except for the harley version which has the 4r100). anyhoo, i find this totally odd. would one or more of you check your manual to see what you come up with...? thanks.

btw, the special (severe) maintenance section specifies 30k tranny fluid change intervals for all automatics. but i'm wondering about normal service. thanks again...
  • irondukeironduke Member Posts: 1
    I just got one,and i love it so far.i`m not sure if theres a problem but at low speeds i feel a vibration on steering wheel and feel it thru accecerator.not a shimmy or shake but vibration,feel vib. at highest point of 45mph.any ideas,or similar exp.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Just a reminder that our Town Hall chat happens on Wednesday (5-7pm Pacific/8-10 pm Eastern). This week, our topic will be:

Import Trucks: Can they compete with domestics?

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/newsviews.html

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

I have a similar vibration, I can feel it mostly going up a hill at low speeds...I haven't taken it in yet, but I will shortly...just turned over the 10k mi. mark after a trip to Missouri. Let me know if you find anything out.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    If you have a late Ford truck that uses the PATS ignition key(chip in it) get an extra key and use the onboard system of the truck to program the key! You need two functioning keys to program another key. The truck owners manual has instructions in on the procedure.

My wife lost her key to our 2001 Super Crew and it will now cost us $70.00 to get a new programed key at the dealer.

You can buy the key at the dealer, some locksmiths and on ebay where a couple of lock smiths sell the PATS key blanks.
  • tgravo2tgravo2 Member Posts: 70
    Anyone know if any changes will be made to the 03 Supercrew. I am interested in a 4x4, and I know the expeditions got a little redisign. I was wondering if the F-150's will be looking any different. Thanks.
  • tgravo2tgravo2 Member Posts: 70
    Anyone have the Keyless Start option or know how this works on the new F-150's??? After you start the engine can you just get in and drive, or do you still have to put the key in. I'm just a little curious on how this works. Thanks for any info.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    One major daily newspaper is looking for folks who drive 2002 or 2003 yellow or orange cars, and another major daily newspaper is looking for folks who successfully or unsuccessfully attempted to negotiate the purchase prices of their vehicles at the end of their lease terms. If you care to share your stories on either or both of these topics, please send an e-mail containing a short summary of your experience and your contact information to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, May 14.

Thanks much,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jdlynch2jdlynch2 Member Posts: 20
    I am waiting for delivery of my 2002 F-150 4x2 supercrew. I really liked the way the grill assembly looked on the 4x4, but I could not see paying the extra money just for better looks (I have no need for four wheel drive).

Would it be possible to changeout the 4x2 series grill for the one that comes with the 4x4? What other options do I have?
  • tgrajektgrajek Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone seen a website or any information for the 2003 Supercrew specs? I've checked just about everything I know of and ZIP!
  • autoinfo1108autoinfo1108 Member Posts: 1
    In Automobile Magazine May 2002 issue, page 16. It mentioned that Ford has pushed back the introduction of the next generation F-150 pickup from fall 2002 to early summer 2003, making it a 2004 model. It also reported that the powerplants will be carried over. Other than that, not much else is given.
    i think ford has now specified 5w20 for all their ohc v8s dating back to the early 90s.

anyhoo, i think amsoil makes a 5w20...i don't know of anyone else, yet. i'm sure we will see more 5w20 appearing since honda is also now using 5w20 in some of its motors...

btw, i use the motorcraft 5w20 in my truck ('02 king ranch 4x4 5.4l) and it seems to work just fine. truck doesn't appear to use any oil, or if it does it doesn't use any between 3k changes.
    I get them at times when I see the elephants ears coming at me on the highway connected to a nice crew cab SD. Now I don't feel like the lone ranger making jump back down in size. Most guys dream of the day when they can own a SD Crew Cab 4x4, but it is a huge truck to get around in. I take my truck to Good Year for my oil changes, with $5 off coupon you can get online, I pay around $15 for an oil change. I haven't switched to synthetic and have always used Pennzoil with no problems. Just turned my truck over 13000 mi and no problems to speak of, except 2 weekends ago, I pulled into my father-in-laws garage, loaded up our stuff, went to back up and the garage door had slipped down, scraped the cap right down about 2 inches wide and 12 inches long
    and scratches across the top. ARE is repainting and clear coating for $290. I have a ford esp 100,000 mi 0 deductible warranty so I'll drive it out and get rid of it before the major tune up at 100K. I think you will find the Screw is a more useful vehicle then the SD Crew Cab, unless you used the SD for what it was built for in Pulling.

Reason I didn't get the Screw before was, it wasn't out yet when I bought my SD Crew Cab. But I'm glad I bought a SD first and then went to a Screw. To understand that you gotta experience it first.
  • cyberdad2cyberdad2 Member Posts: 13
    Hi All,

I just purchased a new 2001 4x2 SuperCrew off of the lot (it has sat there since August 2001 - 91 miles on it), possibly in a grassy area.

The calipers have a lot of surface rust and the rotors have splotches of rust - is this normal, or should I take it back to the dealer ASAP to get new parts put on???

I'm really enjoying the truck so far. 17.4 mpg on the first tank.

Thanks for you suggestions!

Cyberdad Steve
  • frey44frey44 Member Posts: 230
    All mild steel rotors are going to rust quickly when not being driven and scoured by those pads on a regular basis.The rust on the calipers and ANYWHERE ELSE under the truck is typical FORD !! Look at ANY Ford on the underside and many suspension parts will be rusted to hell in no time. Ford does not seem to care that these steel parts rust extensively. This is an area that Ford needs to work on.
    Maybe they can learn from Toyota or Honda about how to make the underside NOT turn to iron (III) oxide.
    ;-)
  • eleets00eleets00 Member Posts: 27
    Hello all. I would like to know if anyone here owns the 2000 F150 Harley Davidson SuperCab &/or the 2001 F150 Harley Davidson CrewCab. How do they drive? How is the reliability? What is the gas mileage like? I'm looking at the 2002 Ram Quad Cab, but like the Harley Davidson F150's better. But.. after my 96 Contour fiasco, I'm skeptical of buying another Ford product (I've heard the horror stories on the pre-2K2 Ram's). I live in Stn Mtn/Lithonia, GA & have to drive 48 miles round trip to work every day. Plus I plan on getting sport bike & would like to know which one is better equipped to handle the bike. How much should I expect to pay for either? Any info/advice anyone can provide will greatly appreciated.

PS - Anyone know where I can get some info on the next generation F150's?
This discussion has been closed.