Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dojadoja Member Posts: 19
    Everthing I've read on the internet suggest this is a manual tramission but the description by the delear says t's an automatic.?

"2005 Acura TL 6-Speed Navigation HPT - Automatic

Price: $35670 MSRP: $35670

Model Number:UA6565KW /gx

Exterior Color: Anthracite Metallic

Interior Color: Quartz"
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    The HPT is High Performance Tires.. I think..

Also, I think it is a $200 option...

The six-speed is a manual transmission.. My guess is the dealer description is a typo.

Same price... manual or automatic..

habitat has the HPT package.. You can do a search for his posts in the Acura TL forum.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tl_guytl_guy Member Posts: 5
    I have no experience with other acura dealers but Goodson Acura in Irving definitely SUCKS! I went over to negotiate a price for a black 2005 TL with no navi. Their internet pricing was $31,750 + TTL with was about $1,250 over invoice. I was trying to get them to lower the price but the rude and arrogant sales person was like asking me why I came in if I did not think that $31, 750 is what I was going to get. Well, hello!!! I'm not going to take whatever price you offer, of course I'm going to negotiate. And she went on to say that if it was up to her she will not lower the price but she said she will have to ask her manager. There we go again, asking the manager tactic. When probe further on how much are fees going to cost, she said she's not sure and probably close to $1000. I was like shocked, what kindda fees are you talking about? $1000 for filing paper work???!!! Why don't you give me $1000 and I'll do it for you. Of course she went to change her story and said she was not sure, her finance guys will determine that. In any case, this person sold about 200 over units in Dec 2004. (Even has a plaque on her desk to recognize her work) and she tells me she does not know what fees are going to be like? You gotta be kidding. Overall, her attitude and high pressure selling tactics made me uncomfortable and very annoyed. It is people like her who gives dealerships a bad reputation.

In the end, they did not lower the price any bit and I was glad that I did not buy from them. A dreadful, horrible experience and certainly not worth your time to visit the dealer.
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    tl_guy,

So who did you end up going to? That raises a good point about dealerships ramping up fees after negotiating a good deal over the phone/internet. Just browsing the forums, I've seen document fees ranging from $0-300!

For those who have purchased new TL's, what fees were you assessed? I.e. how much above the cost plus TTL?
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    For those who have purchased new TL's, what fees were you assessed?

$100 doc fee in Cleveland, Ohio (Motorcars) in May 2004.

$20 for license.

I've heard them as high as $400.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    In California the document fee is a fixed charge of $55 or so.
  • baldilocksbaldilocks Member Posts: 3
    I only checked with one other dealer for comparison for the doc fee and it was the same. It probably is another hidden fee but overall I'm please I guess. Could of saved a couple of hundred maybe but theses are in short supply around here too so negotiations are somewhat limited.

Anyone buy the autoguard package for the paint and interior?
    "Anyone buy the autoguard package for the paint and interior?"

That's practically a rip-off! Nothing more than wax and leather conditioner that you can buy from WalMart for $10 and apply it yourself on a beautiful Saturday morning! :-)
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    Fees from two Boston area dealers:

1. $99

2. $194, which includes "free" state inspections (@ $29/year) for life of the car. I bought from this dealer.

Lexus dealer charged $230 for evil wife's RX. Chrysler dealer had NO doc fee for my 300M.

IMHO, doc fees are purely added profit. Of course, profit is not a four letter word, but be aware...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• gureelgureel Member Posts: 1
    Guys,

I visited both the Mission Viejo and Tustin Acura dealerships today looking for a non nav '05 TL. In addition to the car I also wanted to get the mud guards, trunk tray, and wheel locks + the wood select knob.

I targeted $31K + TTL for all the above, but it was a NO GO. How much do you think I could get it for and which dealerships do you recommend I visit? Thanks.

Cheers,

Gureel
  • bda1947bda1947 Member Posts: 20
    I got my TL and my MDX at Keyes. Good service and fair pricing. Both times I brought them a few quotes from other local dealers and they beat the deal. Quick and easy.
    I have begun the process of buying a TL with nav. I began with soliciting email bids from Edmunds as well as the Acura site. I have to say it was a fairly painless process. Most all of the dealerships responded within 24 hours. A few didn't seem to know what exact car or options I wanted (though I had stated this in the requests...). Right off the bat, I was offered $1377 over invoice (that was the best initial bid). After further communication with some of the dealers, a few dropped out saying it was too good for them, but others responded with better offers. I am currently at $1000 over invoice including dest and fees. I found it important to specify that you want the prices to include these expenses so that there aren't any surprises later. Overall very painless buying...I would recommend it to anyone out there right now.
    Does anyone know the dealer cost for 17" chome factory wheels.

The parts department says they retail for $1200...including installation and exchange of the wheels on my current TL. I have no TL yet. I just wanted to know what the retail was from the dealer. I would like to work the wheels into my negociations but it's difficult w/o knowing their cost.

Does anyone know or have a guess? Thanks
    I'm not positive about this, but someone mentioned on another Edmunds forum that when it comes to accessories you deduct 20-25% from their list price to come up with dealer's cost (invoice).
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    We list the invoice & MSRP of options as well. You'll get these prices when you build your new vehicle, including all of the options you want.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tcltcl Member Posts: 42
    Try Santa Monica and Keyes, you may able to get close to the price. It also depends on the color etc. If they have the car in the lot will be a better luck.
    Edmunds TMV doesn't list dealer-installed accessories, and the RL doesn't offer any factory "options".
  • larry23455larry23455 Member Posts: 2
    In the Virginia Beach area all dealers (Honda and Acura at least) require a $399 documentation fee. It's pure profit but they've obviously gotten together and hang tough on it. Anyway, I got an '05 TL with Nav, all season floor mats, wheel locks, trunk tray and two years of free scheduled maintenance out the door for $35,867.11 (this included Taxes, title and license plates). The price was $2038 less than what was offered at a competing Acura dealer in the area.
    "We list the invoice & MSRP of options as well. You'll get these prices when you build your new vehicle, including all of the options you want."

"Edmunds TMV doesn't list dealer-installed accessories, and the RL doesn't offer any factory "options"."

Same with the TL. I couldn't find any price much less the cost for the factory chrome wheels ...which are dealer installed. I thought someone might have some inside info.

I guess I'll go with 1violinist and subtract 20-25% from the $1200.
    OK, my mistake!

kirstie_h

Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• rfaltesekrfaltesek Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Black/Black w/Nav in Austin, Tx. I pd. 32,526.05 + TTL. It took two days to come in, but was in time for us to take to a soccer tournament in Houston this weekend. The kids (9 & 12) love the Nav and fought over who could sit in the middle back and who could give voice commands. Love the car.
    doja...

Call a different dealer's parts department.. Tell them you have the car already.. thinking about getting chrome wheels... ask them for a price.. At least that way, you'll know what a brand new wheel will cost.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• chaseboychaseboy Member Posts: 30
    rfaltesek... that is a great price. what dealership was it in Austin? I live in Houston, and am more than willing to make the drive to Austin for a great deal. thanks.
  • btmoonbtmoon Member Posts: 1
    Which dealership did you purchase your TL from? I live here in Austin and was out shopping for a TL this past weekend. The dealership here is quoting 3% over invoice which is still higher than the price you received.
    The best price I received was $32,188. Unfortunately we'd already committed to another dealer by then.

This one was in the Dallas area. Funny, though, because I also discussed prices with the Austin dealerships (2 of them) and received very average bids ($33,800-$34,700).

Btmoon, I'm really surprised they didn't give you a better deal. I was getting virtually attacked over the weekend to close with several dealerships (end of the month syndrome).
  • greatbritgreatbrit Member Posts: 4
    Finally got my car yesterday, '05 TL white/parchment auto/nav wheel locks and flaps thrown in, paid $225 for side moldings (installed), $45 doc fee, but no other mark-ups. I won't be telling you the price so please stop reading now if that is the bottom line of why you are here.

During my adventure I visited 2 dealers (Concord who wanted near MSRP, Marin who low-balled me), plus 5 internet requests via email: got no response from two, one who wouldn't match my price (Fairfield, wanted $34,200), one who came close (Pleasanton), one who low-balled me, he wouldn't honor our agreed price when I showed up at the dealership (Marin). The guy at Fairfield Acura spammed me for weeks, always ignoring my email responses, half the time coming back with totally illiterate UPPERCASE spam, I get the feeling more than one internet salesman was using the same email address as sometimes it was coherent, or maybe the guy just liked to drink and drivel.

Anyway, I ended up at Pleasanton, I just happened to be walking by on my way to another store and thought I'd stop in to see the internet/fleet salesman, the most professional and literate salesman I had encountered in all of my email encounters; he had already offered me a very good price on the phone so I thought I'd pop in to tell him that if he was ever ready to match my price, and had the car in stock, I'd be ready to buy. The thing was, I was in absolutely no rush to buy a car so there was nothing any car dealer could say to 'put me into this car today'; if I can offer just one piece of advice to all of you, it's this: if at all possible, don't buy a car when you need it in a hurry, there is much bargaining power to be had in not appearing desperate. Anyway, I lucked out, the exact car had just arrived, still in its wrapping, it hadn't even made it to their web site inventory yet (I was checking all the local dealers daily, you can get to them by visiting acura.com and looking for dealers), plus it just happened to be the famous 'end of the month' where all dealers will sell you any car for five dollars. The salesman was as professional and polite in person as he was in email and on the phone, we back and forthed a little, but not really, I was standing firm because I didn't care, and suddenly I got the deal I wanted. Not the greatest price of all the ones I see in this forum, but a fair price, and an excellent one for the bay area (based on my experiences with the other dealers). Price is a tricky thing, it depends on so many factors like if the color is popular or the color combo is in abundance or hard to find right now, the time of the month and if they have met their quotas, what part of the country you live in, etc. Because he can't guarantee to match this price again, the internet salesman has asked me not to quote the price I got, and I will honor that, all I will say is he started at a fair price, and went down from there.

The car (after one day) appears to be flawless, everything working as expected, no rattles, no torque steer, no hopping over bumps, just zoom zoom zoom, oh never mind, wrong car.

Paul
  • rkwrkw Member Posts: 1
    I've been internet shopping. Sent message out to four dealers in East Bay. Only two responded with offers. One was 1,000 over invoice (including destination), one was 1,200 or so. I contacted the Oakland internet guy and told him that San Jose was offering it for 31,551 (1,000 over). Right away he came back offering $700 over plus wheel locks, guards, and trunk tray for $220 (below cost). Just how low does it go around hear?

I'd like to cut to the chase. I agree with another e-mailer, I like dealing with the Pleasanton guy, overall.
    I suggest you continue to bound the offers back and forth until they say they can't go any lower. Then decide where you want to buy it. Talk to the internet guy and tell him/her you are about to buy the car and really want to buy it with them, can they match/beat the current price.

I found that when I told dealers I was closing the deal, another flurry of price bidding occurred. Thus, don't sign or commit until about 48 hours after communicating to the group that you're going to sign. Just my $0.02...
  • conan1conan1 Member Posts: 4
    Could you give us the name of the dealer.I have been reading his forum for the past 2 months and I believe this is the best price anyone has got in Texas.
  • conan1conan1 Member Posts: 4
    Can you give me the name of the dealership in Dallas who offered you the deal for 32,188?
  • hotsoupshotsoups Member Posts: 12
    About three weeks ago I got an internet offer from the Santa Clara Acura for $31,302. I didn't ask him if that included the destination fee. I am ready to buy one soon.
  • spingrinderspingrinder Member Posts: 11
    Marin Acura refuses to budge off of Sticker +For Navi that = 34470. Navi's a straight $2k, so don't bother driving to Marin for 32470.
    Vandergriff Acura. Granted it was an end of the month kind of desperation thing...
  • tommy3tommy3 Member Posts: 2
    I cannot sing the praises enough of ACURA OF CLEVELAND. I requested a quote via Edmunds on the internet and receive a telephone call the next day. The salesperson wanted to know specifics on the color and immediately responded with a price of $650 over invoice. I went to the dealership, stated the amount I wanted to receive for my trade, asked for wheel locks and splash guards and indicated it was a done deal if they accepted my demands.

They quickly appraised my trade and the salesperson actually lowered the price of the vehicle $100 since my trade was appraised $100 lower than I hoped. The final price for my TL w/ NAV was $33,023.00. The whole process took around an hour and that included the 15 minutes I took to be certain of the color vehicle I desired.

Conversely, my experience at Park Acura was terrible. I went in knowing my price information and made it clear that I wanted their best price and would simply take it or leave it without playing their pricing games. The salesperson deemed it necessary to show me all the numbers the car would cost at retail. He stated they had some room to move but seemed to express we were talking around $1000. I told him he was not even close and that I knew he would not waste my time nor would I waste his. He asked what I was thinking - hinting for me to throw out a number. I stated that I was thinking he should come back with his best number and I would take it or leave it, paying cash on the spot.

Then the manager came out to talk to me. He wanted to know if we were talking about a car on the lot and when the deal would be consummated. I assured him that the car was on the lot and I would write a check that very night. He began rambling on again at which point I politely interrupted and again stated what I wanted. This evidently irritated him, so he turned to me and stated that we would not be doing business. It was the best thing that happened to me while I was at Park Acura.

I saved a ton of money at Acura of Cleveland and also discovered I could get the factory rims chromed through a company online which saved me another $900 that I would have paid Park.
    Tommy3,

Congratulations! That's an awesome deal.

I agree with you that car buying shouldn't be so difficult. It seems shrouded in this mystery and we the car buyers are often "afraid" of misstepping or not doing something by "dealer protocol". Some salesmen on the forums seem actually insulted if a potential buyer approaches them as you did. As consumers, we don't have to play the song and dance when we buy other items, even houses. I'm glad you got the car you wanted.

Best wishes.
  • kernatkernat Member Posts: 5
    Just bought 2005 TL w/o navigation (invoice: $30,552): $30,752 (+ tax+tag+$190 doc fees). Free all season mats included. Doc fees includes free lifetime inspections. Both area dealers (AofB and Clair) and very competitive. Service at Clair is slightly better, though.
  • jaxflboyjaxflboy Member Posts: 1
    I am from Florida and I am wondering if this is a good deal. This is the offer that I have. It is a 2005 TL Auto with Navi and has the following options:

Abyss Blue Pearl with Camel leather, All season floor mats, Trunk tray, Front-Rear-and side body spoilers, Body side molding, Moonroof visor, 18" Sparkle silver high performance alloy wheels, Gold emblems, Rear wind spoiler, Door visors, Door edge trim.

All the options, documentation fee, Tax tag and title and delivery fee out the door at $37,000. The MSRP for all of this is right at $42,000. Does the $37000 seem like a good deal?
  • spingrinderspingrinder Member Posts: 11
    Yeow - that's a high MSRP, but the best way to check is to add up all the options by price on www.acura.com and then look at the www.edmunds.com TMV price for what people are paying for a "standard" version in your area, add the options at "standard" price and decide if you can accept it or not. Only you can decide if each of those options is worth forking over that much $$$. Keep in mind that if you might try to sell the car in a few years, no one, and I repeat NO ONE is going to be willing to pay you for the add-ons. Everyone in the used car market will simply look at the Kelly or Edmunds price and seek that price, without the add-ons.

On the other hand, if you're going to keep it for life, it may be a great deal that you can be happy with.
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    Congratulations on a great deal.

Did you deal with Motorcars Acura? If so, how did they treat you?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    isn't that the MSRP for a full A-spec?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tommy3tommy3 Member Posts: 2
    Motorcars Acura was sent a request for quote by Edmunds, but simply never responded. I had no other contact with the dealership because my negotiations with Acura of Cleveland went so smoothly.
  • scepterscepter Member Posts: 6
    IN NY

quoted on a lease

2005 TL w/no navigation

42 months

15k miles a year

$469 a month

No money down just first month payment, $469

all taxes rolled in

Also pay tag & title out of pocket (minor)
    You didn't mention the selling price or MSRP of the this TL. These are important numbers for you to know for two reasons.

First, the selling prices of a leased vehicle can be negotiated, just as if you were buying it. Without knowing this car's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know whether you're getting a discount or not.

The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle is to calculate the lease payment.

Sometimes salespeople want you to lease based on a monthly payment, but it's important to know exactly what you're paying for.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

I understand what you are saying but with the packages basically the same without Nav, I feel like I know what the car sells for. In one respect I only care about the final monthly payment for a lease. I am basically renting the car for 42 months. If I was buying it would be different. Let them juggle the numbers, I want to know the monthly with no money down. I'm I wrong here?
    No way for us to calculate the money factor (interest) or anything else if you don't provide the selling price. It's impossible for us to tell you whether it's a good deal!

Some car dealers are just looking for customers who only want to talk monthly payment, as they can hide all sorts of fees or a bad rate as long as you end up with the payment you want. I would never buy or lease a vehicle without knowing the purchase price and the residual value.

Most people on these forums, by the way, would advise you against leasing longer than 36 months. Although Acuras are notoriously reliable, you will be responsible for paying for repair items outside the warranty.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

4 year warranty on Acuras.. as long as you don't go over 12K/year, no problem staying under.. If you need 15K/yr, stay under 39 months..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I was playing with some numbers... I can't find the residual for the 42 month lease.. Must be a special one this month.. but, I fudged by estimating it off the 36 and 48 month residuals..

If it was a Honda Finance lease, I'd say it is a good deal... especially, if it includes all NYS taxes.. But, on Acura's website, it says Honda Finance doesn't write leases longer than 39 months in New York..

I never like leasing through third-party finance companies... They have no stake in making sure you are happy at lease-end..

So, the money part looks okay... You'll be going out of warranty the last two months, though.. Do you know if it is a Honda Finance lease?

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Wow, great info. Thanks for the help

I was told it was a Honda Finance Lease. I will reconfirm that. And I was also told everything rolled in, including taxes. My only out of the pocket is first month, $469. My taxes are 8% where I live. They are also getting me out of an Ford Expedition that I am under water in. That does not figure into the price as I have kept it seperate so far.
    Yeah... even allowing for some wiggle room, I can't see it being a bad deal.. Tax is around 8% in NYS, right?

If it is Honda Finance, then it is a good deal.. Although, I'd like to see the 39 month quote, just to get a comparison... If it were within $10-$15/month, I'd go that way, to stay in warranty for the entire lease term.. But, I get the feeling that they have special deals on 42 month leases.. my local dealer is advertising them, also.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• rob813rob813 Member Posts: 11
    I am getting "Internet" prices of about 33,950 + tax + dest ($570) + tag + title + dealer fees from an Acura dealer in Tampa area for a 2005 Navi TL. This would put it up near 36,500 (they wrapped all these fees and taxes into a "total price"). Take 2K off for non-navi.

I thought this was a bit pricey. Can I expect to get this price down or do they pretty much stick to their "internet" prices? If dealers do come off this, any idea of what kind of difference it would make? $500 off, less than $500, more than $500? Anybody get a good deal in this area?